IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

NetApp OnCommand Insight OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp OnCommand Insight is #6 ranked solution in top Storage Management tools. PeerSpot users give NetApp OnCommand Insight an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. NetApp OnCommand Insight is most commonly compared to NetApp OnCommand: NetApp OnCommand Insight vs NetApp OnCommand. NetApp OnCommand Insight is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 79% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a manufacturing company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Storage Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is NetApp OnCommand Insight?

NetApp OnCommand Insight management software delivers consistent insight across your data center so you can monitor and manage your hybrid IT multivendor storage, compute, and switching infrastructures.

NetApp OnCommand Insight was previously known as OCI.

NetApp OnCommand Insight Customers

Société Générale, TechnologyOne

NetApp OnCommand Insight Video

NetApp OnCommand Insight Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp OnCommand Insight pricing:
"Pricing for NetApp OnCommand Insight could be cheaper. On a scale of one to five, I would rate its price a four."

NetApp OnCommand Insight Reviews

Anuj_Jain - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Team Lead at Kyndryl
Gives an end-to-end view of your environment and has a very good interface for report creation and customization
  • "What I found most valuable in NetApp OnCommand Insight is that it gives me a complete view of the environment, particularly an end-to-end view. I can locate my searches and view my storage devices. I can also find my recent servers and other host devices. I can then map all those into a single view, so that I can learn about the performance of my devices, or if there's a bottleneck at a particular place. I like that I can view all those information in NetApp OnCommand Insight. I like that very much. I also like that NetApp OnCommand Insight has a very good interface that allows you to create and customize reports, and it also offers a bundle of reports as well."
  • "NetApp OnCommand Insight is a pretty good tool, and the only concern I have with it is the price. Its price is quite high and could be improved because the licensing feature of this particular tool is on a per GB basis instead of the price being for the complete tool itself. The more you discover, the more you need to pay, and this makes NetApp OnCommand Insight more costly when compared to other tools which are available in the market."

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in NetApp OnCommand Insight is that it gives me a complete view of the environment, particularly an end-to-end view. I can locate my searches and view my storage devices. I can also find my recent servers and other host devices. I can then map all those into a single view, so that I can learn about the performance of my devices, or if there's a bottleneck at a particular place. I like that I can view all those information in NetApp OnCommand Insight. I like that very much.

I also like that NetApp OnCommand Insight has a very good interface that allows you to create and customize reports, and it also offers a bundle of reports as well.

What needs improvement?

NetApp OnCommand Insight is a pretty good tool, and the only concern I have with it is the price. Its price is quite high and could be improved because the licensing feature of this particular tool is on a per GB basis instead of the price being for the complete tool itself. The more you discover, the more you need to pay, and this makes NetApp OnCommand Insight more costly when compared to other tools which are available in the market.

My company doesn't have a cloud environment, so all storage is on-premises. I'm not aware of the integration of NetApp OnCommand Insight with the cloud environment, but the tool fits all the marks in terms of what I require and need. It checks all columns for me, so at the moment, nothing comes to mind in terms of additional features I'd like to see from the tool in the future.

I've worked with NetApp OnCommand Insight for around three or four years now.

NetApp OnCommand Insight is a stable software and I didn't see any issues in terms of its stability.

Storage Management
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell Technologies, SolarWinds and others in Storage Management. Updated: July 2022.
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I didn't see any issues with NetApp OnCommand Insight in terms of its scalability. I was also looking into what would be a good replacement for the ViPR SRM and this tool was the only one that checked all the boxes, and my company has petabytes of storage. There's no issue in relation to the scalability of NetApp OnCommand Insight.

I've never experienced any issues any time I contact the technical support team for NetApp OnCommand Insight. My company has an on-site NetApp representative to whom all issues are communicated. The NetApp representative also has weekly meetings with my company and he aligns everything quite well, so on a scale of one to five, I would rate NetApp OnCommand Insight technical support a five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup for NetApp OnCommand Insight is simple. I can install the tool on any other servers if there's a prerequisite and if you go to the interoperability matrix, you'll just need to stick to that. Once you install it, you can get it done on a single server, so it doesn't require any number of servers, compared to ViPR SRM where my company has thousands of servers in the backend to support that particular tool. I can install NetApp OnCommand Insight on a single server and get the environment up and running very quickly, so as your environment grows, you can just increase the resources in that particular server, and even if it has a lot of features, you can add the tags into the devices. If you want to do reporting, you can also use the tool or use OnCommand Report.

Pricing for NetApp OnCommand Insight could be cheaper. On a scale of one to five, I would rate its price a four.

I've compared NetApp OnCommand Insight with several tools. One is a tool for heterogeneous storage monitoring, and I've also compared it with EMC ViPR SRM and RxScan. I've also evaluated IBM tools, but NetApp OnCommand Insight is the best.

EMC ViPR SRM has lots of issues in terms of the uptime, and device discovery, and its operational issues are quite high. In the petabytes of storage being managed by my company, there are thousands of ViPR SRM backend servers for the collector servers, and I can only discuss ten to fifteen devices among the collector servers, yet my environment has thousands of devices because it also has discovered servers, and there are around 25,000 to 30,000 devices which I need to discover, so I require thousands of servers as collectors to monitor if the server is up or down, which server isn't reporting, and when was the last report.

EMC ViPR SRM also has performance issues and its reporting is very scattered. My company has multiple front-end servers and there's the need to integrate reports onto another server if you want to try to run certain reports. Because of performance issues, even executive level reporting isn't being sent. There are a number of issues with EMC ViPR SRM that you won't experience when you use NetApp OnCommand Insight.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of NetApp products, I've worked on seven earlier and now mainly onto the cluster mode devices. I've worked on multiple heterogeneous storage monitoring tools such as EMC ViPR SRM, NetApp OnCommand Insight, OnCommand Unified Manager, and even work automation and other related tools.

I would love to give NetApp OnCommand Insight full marks or a perfect rating, but I'm giving it a nine out of ten. I've analyzed multiple tools and I need to give suggestions to the customer to do the POC, and I also need to identify the differences within the multiple tools, so I evaluate five or six different tools for heterogeneous storage monitoring, alerting, and reporting, and then there's NetApp OnCommand Insight.

Download our free Storage Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell Technologies, SolarWinds, and more!
Updated: July 2022