IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

NetApp AltaVault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp AltaVault is #2 ranked solution in top Cloud Storage Gateways, #3 ranked solution in top Disk Based Backup Systems, #10 ranked solution in top Deduplication Software, #20 ranked solution in top Cloud Backup tools, and #37 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give NetApp AltaVault an average rating of 8 out of 10. NetApp AltaVault is most commonly compared to Commvault Complete Data Protection: NetApp AltaVault vs Commvault Complete Data Protection. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is NetApp AltaVault?

NetApp Cloud Backup (formerly AltaVault) cloud-integrated storage provides secure, fast back up data to any cloud at up to 90% lower cost compared with on-premises solutions. Cloud Backup gives you the power to tap into cloud economics while preserving investments in your existing backup infrastructure and lets you meet your backup and recovery service levels.

NetApp AltaVault was previously known as AltaVault.

Download the Cloud Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

NetApp AltaVault Customers

Blach Construction, NASA, Riggs, Counselman, Michaels & Downes, Seminole County Public Schools and Spot Trading

NetApp AltaVault Video

NetApp AltaVault Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp AltaVault pricing:
"You could compare it to a Dell EMC or ECS, and I think it's probably a little less costly than that. Within the marketplace, it's a medium cost."

NetApp AltaVault Reviews

Pre-sales Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Fair pricing with good GUI and a straightforward setup
  • "It's so easy to work with."
  • "The solution needs faster indexing."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution more for archiving. It's like having the data outside of the place and that's with the indexing and everything.

What is most valuable?

We like that you can have it from a single point from a storage provider, rather than having different products from different providers. The same support will be from the same place.

The interface is great. The GUI is great. It's so easy to work with.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Scaling isn't a problem.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs faster indexing.

We've implemented this solution for a while. I've been working with NetApp since 2014. This is a long time.

The stability has been good. It serves its purpose well. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Any department that is having files shared and data that can be deleted and changed a lot would need this solution. Here is in the Middle East, it's a little bit different as the adoption of the cloud is not so strong. Mostly the type of businesses that would use this product are all SMBs. I'd recommend a higher level for enterprises.

There is nothing wrong with the scalability of the product. It's simply a matter of licensing and configuration, nothing more, nothing less. If it needs something from the back end, it's a configuration that can be done or adjusted easily as it's something on the cloud. You can just change the attributes that you need for the service. It's simple. Nothing is hard there. As it's not a mission-critical thing that it needs to be up 24/7, you can do these upgrades easily.

I've interacted with technical support. I interacted with them a lot in small cases and in big cases. The good thing about NetApp, when it comes to a serious issue, if we're talking about real downtime, you will find everyone online with you.

The initial setup is so straightforward it doesn't require very many prerequisites.

The deployment time depends on the size of the data. In general, we can say that testing, taking the data back and forth, can take about two days.

You just need one person for deployment and maintenance. You do not need a big team. If your business model is having one support and deployment team and they are doing the same job, then you can have one person. If it's different departments, you can have one for the support and you can have one for the implementation and that's it.

As integrators, we handle the professional services for NetApp. We do not take professional services from the vendor right now. In fact, we are a service arm for NetApp. We are bound to the documentation and everything from the vendor. However, we are the team that does the implementation.

What will happen is that customers will eventually get to an ROI. It'll save time and effort for the team that is working. This is a very important thing and it will give them opportunities to do some other work.

It's not expensive. Its cost is fair.

You can have set up a subscription. You can do the payment like that. The payment model is completely different from region to region and partner to partner. Sometimes we can take it as facilitation from our side as an investment with the customer and we can make it monthly as well. It depends, however, mainly, it's set up as a SaaS service with monthly payments.

The one price includes everything. Usually, when you receive the quotation, everything is there. It's divided up and the various aspects are written there. These are essential things in the initial quote.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners. We are system integrators. I'm exposed to storage regarding NetApp - all services of NetApp and HDS and AltaVault. We are also selling that. From the backup perspective, arguably our specialty is actually in Commvault and Veritas. We handle backup, archiving, and data management solutions as well.

NetApp these days is completely different than the old days. NetApp started as a software company. The core is the software, which is the ONTAP software. Now ONTAP software can be deployed on the cloud. If you're looking for on-prem storage, you can have that. If you're looking for the storage capabilities yet you want the same capabilities on the cloud, you can have it by having the ONTAP for the cloud. The only difference is that NetApp doesn't have a complete solution for the cloud as a cloud provider. It's not like Amazon and it's like not Azure. This is a service that is running on those services.

They do not have the same capabilities as the on-prem storage - such as the rate of de-duplication. They don't have de-duplication actually as a normal feature with the normal rate. They don't have serverless replication between desks. It's not like that. It's a clock active storage there on the cloud. However, when you use the NetApp ONTAP on the cloud, it allows you to treat the cloud storage and cloud tier like normal storage on-prem with everything, regardless of the number of snapshots, compression, or deduplication.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Joseph Galvan - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-founder & Chief Architect at Prescriptive Data Solutions
Reseller
Allows portability of large archived data but is becoming outdated
  • "The most valuable feature is the portability of large archived data. You're able to put things on large on-prem, low-cost storage and then augment that with even lower cost storage in the cloud."
  • "It's a good product, but it's becoming outdated and moving to their other primary architecture."

What is our primary use case?

It's an object store. It was used for archiving. They're kind of doing away with it in favor of just using object native ONTAP. It doesn't really seem like something that's still being developed. It's kind of being replaced within another solution set within NetApp.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the portability of large archived data. You're able to put things on large on-prem, low-cost storage and then augment that with even lower cost storage in the cloud.

What needs improvement?

It's a good product, but it's becoming outdated and moving to their other primary architecture.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

The initial setup can be a little more complex. It's a lot of policy. It's complex for good reason.

You could compare it to a Dell EMC or ECS, and I think it's probably a little less costly than that. Within the marketplace, it's a medium cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10. My advice is to stick with ONTAP and ownCloud because NetApp AltaVault is going to die.

Download our free Cloud Backup Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Veeam Software, Commvault, and more!
Updated: May 2022