Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft .NET Framework OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft .NET Framework is #6 ranked solution in top Application Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft .NET Framework an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Microsoft .NET Framework is most commonly compared to Apache Web Server: Microsoft .NET Framework vs Apache Web Server. Microsoft .NET Framework is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Microsoft .NET Framework Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft .NET Framework Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft .NET Framework?

Microsoft .NET Framework is a software development framework for building and running applications for Windows, Windows Phone, Windows servers, XML Web services, and Microsoft Azure. The software is made up of two major components: Common Language Runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework Class Library. The CLR is the execution engine that handles running apps and the Class Library is a library of tested, reusable code that developers can call from their own apps.

Microsoft .NET Framework Features

Microsoft .NET Framework has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Memory management: With Microsoft .NET Framework apps, the CLR allocates and releases memory and handles object lifetimes in many programming languages, so programmers are not responsible to do it.
  • Multitargeting: Microsoft .NET Framework targets .NET Standard, allowing developers to create class libraries that work on multiple Microsoft .NET Framework platforms.
  • A common type system: When using Microsoft .NET Framework, basic types are defined by the .NET Framework type system and are common to all languages that target Microsoft .NET Framework as opposed to traditional programming languages where basic types are defined by the compiler.
  • Side-by-side execution: By allowing multiple versions of the common language runtime to exist on the same computer, Microsoft .NET Framework helps resolve version conflicts. In addition, an app can run on the version of Microsoft .NET Framework with which it was built and multiple versions of apps can coexist.
  • Development frameworks and technologies: Microsoft .NET Framework provides libraries for specific areas of app development, such as ASP.NET for web apps, ADO.NET for data access, Windows Communication Foundation for service-oriented apps, and Windows Presentation Foundation for Windows desktop apps.

Microsoft .NET Framework Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Microsoft .NET Framework. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Language interoperability: With this Microsoft .NET Framework feature, routines written in one language are accessible to other languages, enabling programmers to focus on creating apps in their preferred languages.
  • Version compatibility: Microsoft .NET Framework offers version compatibility for rare occasions when apps that are developed by using a particular version of Microsoft .NET Framework happen to run without modification on a later version.
  • Extensive class library: With Microsoft .NET Framework, programmers have the ability to use a readily accessible Microsoft .NET Framework class library instead of having to write vast amounts of code to handle common low-level programming operations.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Microsoft .NET Framework solution.

PeerSpot user, Syed A., Principal System Developer at a government, says the solution is a “Great all in one framework with extensive stack for web applications, windows applications and mobile applications.”

A QA Supervisor at a manufacturing company mentions, “It comes with many features that you can interact with and has all of the libraries readily available, which is not available in the RPA platforms. You can create your own SSIS package. You can integrate with all of the Windows objects, which is not available in Automation Anywhere, and you need to rely on their Object Cloning technologies to interact with them.”

Brennan G., IS Technical Architect at Avara Foods Holdings Limited, comments, “It is easy to use, and it runs on a Windows platform. The .NET Framework is a very good framework. It does what I need it to do.”

Microsoft .NET Framework was previously known as MS .NET Framework.

Microsoft .NET Framework Customers

Curtin University, Rockwell Automation, Aruba Networks, Insurity Inc., City of Barcelona, Pennsylvania DCNR, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, A1 Telekom Austria AG, Eastman Chemical Company

Microsoft .NET Framework Video

Microsoft .NET Framework Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft .NET Framework pricing:
  • "For the moment I can only give the product a rating of five out of ten since only some of the customers will be satisfied, those that have the financial resources for hosting a platform on Windows Server."
  • "The Microsoft .NET Framework is free of charge, without licensing cost."
  • "Microsoft .NET Framework is licensed under the Windows License."
  • "The solution is free but you need to pay for a license for the hosting service."
  • Microsoft .NET Framework Reviews

Founder at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
    Lacks adequate cross-platform performance and interoperability with AS400, but is the only viable solution for non-cross-platform tasks and works smoothly with Microsoft Technologies
    • "Microsoft Platform is the only viable solution when I wish to do something that is not supposed to be cross-platform."
    • "It is of great concern to us that the solution is not very powerful on cross platform, at it impedes the ability to build and scale with it."

What is most valuable?

I've been using the solution on the Microsoft Platform because it's very tied up with the Windows Server operating system, as it is with the Microsoft technologies. I would basically use the solution anytime that I wished to do something very efficient on Microsoft, building a software for example, which can be done on Microsoft Platform efficiently. I see the solution as the proper alternative to such programs as Java and Python. I prefer Microsoft.NET framework as it's actually tied with the Microsoft operating system and network.

So, the main advantage of the solution for me is that it's really tight. It starts with the component of the server side and proceeds to accessing the database. Work with it is really smooth with Microsoft technologies. There is no worry, no bother. Microsoft technologies is really straightforward.

Microsoft Platform is the only viable solution when I wish to do something that is not supposed to be cross-platform. This was the case later on with the .NET Core. Although we tried to obtain this on the Linux platform, we found things to be somewhat limited, as the .NET Core didn't mix very well with the Linux kernel. This is why we did not adopt it so much on Linux and prepared to do it with Python and Java, as the .NET Core was less powerful than the .NET Framework on Windows. As such, .NET Framework is better to use on Microsoft, on Windows Server. To me, Windows Server is actually the best when one wishes to do something for Windows Server but does not desire that it be cross-platform. It offers much integration.

What needs improvement?

While Windows Server is always the best, the interoperability and, of course, cross-platform features could stand improvement. Ideally, the .NET Core should be made more efficient than it is at present. There is a need to be at the level of Java, for example, to truly overcome the weaknesses involved.

Price fraction on the Linux Platform and macOs Platform should also be taken into account. Then it will really be effective on those other platforms.

It is of great concern to us that the solution is not very powerful on cross platform, at it impedes the ability to build and scale with it. There are many who would like to have their servers on Linux, since hosting Windows Server, even on VPS or in any hosting company, is very expensive. It will also be expensive in the long run. Keeping it secure will be expensive. It is cheaper and easier to get it secured, to get the best performances, with Linux. Most applications that our customer companies are using they wish to have on a server and then to access it from any type of tool, computer, or smartphone, which is what we would like for ourselves at the moment. Many are interested in the type of deployment whereby the application will be set on a server with web services.

For the .NET to really be at the level of some of the tools we are using now, it is better that Microsoft should start on the .NET Core so as to make it as powerful as possible on the main Linux distributions.

This would increase my rating of the solution.

If Microsoft could put the .NET Core at the level of the other platform I would even rate it as a nine out ten.

For the moment I can only give the product a rating of five out of ten since only some of the customers will be satisfied, those that have the financial resources for hosting a platform on Windows Server. They would need to finance a team that would work to keep everything running with security and to be capable of scaling up anytime they want. A dedicated strong team for this purpose costs money.

While there are those companies that have the money and can afford this expenditure, others that don't will opt for the cheaper solution of using Linux, which has the potential for providing the same results.

Moreover, I would like to have interoperability with AS400. We have not done many things with the .NET and prefer using certain other tools towards this end. When we want to work on AS400 we need to use some other tools for that on Windows. If Microsoft could resolve this issue it could attract a wider array of customers. We have very powerful software running on AS400, so the its interoperability capabilities are important to resolve.

I have been working with Microsoft.NET Framework for 20 years and I have been doing so since its inception. After having switched to open source I then reverted back to the solution. I have been using it since it came out with its early versions.

Microsoft has tested the solution and our experience with it has shown us that, while it is not as fast as some of our other software-devoted platforms, it is very stable. It's integrated with the platform and very stable on Microsoft Platform. There are certain applications we build on it which work very well and we do not experience downtime.

Microsoft .NET Framework
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft .NET Framework. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The ability to build and scale with the solution is hampered by the absence of its cross-platform capabilities.

There is a need to choose the version being worked on and to obtain its appropriate components, at which point the installation will proceed as it usually does for Microsoft products. This is the point where the person must click repeatedly. The PowerShell commands can then be used. The person is presented with all the other Microsoft questions upon installation. When we work with the Linux system, we primarily prepare for use of PowerShell.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft.NET Framework as a five out of ten.

Solutions Architect
    A easy program language that works well in Linux environments and is easy to implement
    • "Basically, .NET is simply is the easiest programming language to use, based on my experience."
    • ".NET Is still heavy or dependant on other Microsoft libraries and frameworks."

What is our primary use case?

Our development tools, our platform, every solution we've developed, most of them are Microsoft products. So we're using .NET.

Almost all of our enterprise applications are developed within that whether it will be reading those applications, web applications, or a background service, etc. Of course, there's a different case when it comes to our mobile application. We're quite open-minded and like to explore other frameworks due to the fact that there has been a lot of frameworks getting more popular nowadays.

What is most valuable?

I have very diverse experiences in most of the major programming frameworks, whether it is DHP, Java, etc.

Basically, .NET is simply is the easiest programming language to use, based on my experience. It has flaws, however, the performance and agility are much better compared to other programming languages.

They've done a lot in the past few years. You can see this especially in the fact that they allowed .NET to be run in Linux environments.

What needs improvement?

For .NET, what I can say is that maybe it needs adaptation of a more streamlined function. What we can see is vital is a simple programming model. However, .NET Is still heavy or dependant on other Microsoft libraries and frameworks. Therefore, although they're going there, they're already open-source for that network. There are lots of improvements that can be done there within that industry.

For example, .NET support needs to offer big data similar to Mongo DB or to the other big data technologies. It's still in its infancy from I've experienced. When it comes to the big data or data science fields, I think .NET framework has a lot of things to hash out.

Another item worth improving in .NET is support to Mac. There's still a lot of grey areas when you use a Mac. There's a lot of instability when it comes to that OS. .NET programming language will be very difficult to compete with when they fully jump into the Apple territory.

I've been dealing with the solution for probably more than ten years. I've been using .NET since the beginning when it was .NET 1.0. Therefore, I believe it's been more than a decade.

The solution is stable. Aside from issues surrounding using Macs, it's not too glitchy. It doesn't freeze. It's pretty reliable.

The biggest problem with programming language nowadays, because there are a lot of things happening, is that changes happen too fast. Due to the competition, they tend to release new features almost every week. I don't think there's an exception on that one. In return, the application framework can have bugs in it.

Nowadays when it comes to scalability performance, it's in the hand of the programmers. It's not in the framework. Even if you're using a very efficient or powerful framework, if that application was developed improperly, it just makes everything else shakey. If the framework is there to help you to do the best practices and apply everything, .NET is still really good at doing that, compared to other frameworks. Almost everything is bootstrapped or is ready for you to use, unlike other frameworks like Java. You have to develop everything to make sure that it is able to address the issues. In .NET it's pretty straightforward.

If we contacted technical support it may have been a long time ago. Nowadays, it's rare to go directly to support. For the most part, all you need to do is Google your queries and you can find the answers yourself.

The tool itself, in terms of the initial implementation, is pretty straightforward. The tool will do everything for you, unlike other programming languages where you have to install these different dependencies, et cetera.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

We use multiple deployment models. I'm using Azure Dev Ops for my previous projects, but for my company, we're using Jenkins to deploy our applications.

The good thing with the .NET framework is that it allows you to develop an application faster and in a professional way. The downside is that it's different due to the fact that it's abstract. It's different from every other program. You really need to know the fundamentals of software development. That's the downside. Using .NET You will be able to develop many applications without really knowing what the inner workings of that application are. Compared to Java, or C++ where you should be able to know every fundamental of every foundation, you don't need that deep knowledge with .NET. If there will be a trainee or entry-level person on the program, I suggest they study first computer programming fundamentals, maybe in Java or another more engineering-oriented programming language before they go deeper into the .NET framework. Or they should at least do their homework to learn those things.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If they slowed down a bit with the new releases and made sure they were bug-free before releasing them, I might rate it higher.

Microsoft .NET Framework
    September 2022
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Syed Fahad Anwar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal System Developer at HHRC
    • "The most valuable features for us are web frameworks like MVC, Web API, and WCS."
    • "I would like to see more pre-built features in the MVC framework because as it is now, it's very open and you have to develop your own controls in order to use it."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is custom business applications, Integration services using WCF/Web API.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this framework has enabled us to create services out of things things that we used to do manually. Not only has it made our lives easier, but it has increased productivity as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are web frameworks like MVC, Web API, and WCF.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more pre-built features in the MVC framework because as it is now, it's very open and you have to develop your own controls in order to use it. It would be much easier for us if there were more pre-built controls.

There should be more security features included.

The performance should be improved.

The technical support is in need of improvement to make solving issues more efficient.

I have been using the Microsoft .NET Framework for more than 16 years.

This is a very stable solution and we haven't had any issues.

This is a scalable framework but it depends on how you deploy the solution. Because it is a framework and not a product, it will give you options on how to develop your solution. If you develop it in a way that is scalable, then it will be scalable. But if you don't develop it properly then it will not be scalable.

In my previous company, we had approximately ten thousand users.

In my current company, we only use this solution internally. We have fewer than ten people, and they are business users. We do not currently have plans to increase usage but it may happen in the future.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Microsoft technical support a seven.

Whenever we are trying to solve issues by dealing with Microsoft, they ask so many irrelevant questions that it delays things.

We are also using WebLogic Suite with SharePoint on the server-side.

The initial setup was straightforward and the deployment took not more than two to three days.

We implemented this solution using our in-house team.

The Microsoft .NET Framework is free of charge, without licensing cost. The only cost is purchasing the hardware that it runs on.

Java SDK. Java SDK is also good but require little bit more effort.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who wants to use the Microsoft .NET Framework is to have the proper foundation before implementing the solution. This means that they should lay the architecture first, properly, and then develop the solution based on the architecture. Without this, the solution will not be scalable and will suffer from problems in the long run.

This is a good solution but there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    QA Supervisor at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Feature-rich, you can easily interact with it, and it has libraries readily available
    • "If we take low code, no code platform such as RPA platforms, you might end up writing 100 lines of code and you might do it in a single line of code using. NET."
    • "You need to have the technical expertise to use this product."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for Forms.

Website for basic monitoring of the tools, and we have developed intelligent automation which is like a service and is running in the backend to monitor bots.

We are using basic coding to do the automation monitoring stops.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

You need to have the technical expertise to use this product.

We have not had any issues with bugs or glitches.

It's an in-house development, we don't have more than 12 users.

We have contacted technical support but not for. NET. We contacted them for Power Automate.

We have only just started interacting with them, so I am not able to evaluate them.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to build automation without much technical expertise then I would say not to go with, . NET. With. NET, you need the technical expertise.

If you are looking for something that is readily used to be available for automation, then I would say to go with RPA tools. Also, if you want to go ahead with low code, no code platforms Power Automate gives you RPA capabilities without the user knowing the technical aspect of it.

Roger-Morera - PeerSpot reviewer
    Developer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Highly versatile, dynamic, and versatile
    • "The most valuable feature is customization."
    • "Microsoft could improve .NET Framework by providing more resources to help users understand the solution."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution with data from different applications to obtain data from files, apply business roles, and obtain different behaviors of the data. I also use it to transform and apply valuations and to send information through SMS or certified email.

How has it helped my organization?

.NET Framework saves us cost and time, provides quality and accuracy, and improves our security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is customization.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft could improve .NET Framework by providing more resources to help users understand the solution. I would also like Microsoft to add an additional monitoring tool - for example, when we develop a robot using .NET, we need too many people following the area of the robot.

There have been some issues with the running application crashing.

The scalability is good.

Microsoft's technical support is good.

The initial setup is quite complex and requires someone with technical skills to complete it. The minimum time for setup is three weeks.

We used an in-house team.

.NET Framework is a good tool to add value to our company.

We pay around $450 for our license.

What other advice do I have?

.NET Framework is very versatile and dynamic and allows us to change properties and customize the controls. If you're familiar with programming, you can go ahead with all the functionality and create new products. I would rate .NET Framework nine out of ten.

Brennan Gordon - PeerSpot reviewer
    IS Technical Architect at AVARA FOODS HOLDINGS LIMITED
    Rapid development, easy installation, and excellent technical support
    • "The .NET Framework is a very good framework. It does what I need it to do."
    • "This solution is best used with some training."

What is our primary use case?

I have built many things in Microsoft .NET Framework. At a high level, the main focus would be on integration.

Microsoft .NET Framework is primarily for the integration of solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to do rapid development. We can develop solutions very quickly.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and it runs on a Windows platform.

The .NET Framework is a very good framework. It does what I need it to do.

I have been working with different versions of Microsoft .NET Framework for 15 years.

Microsoft .NET Framework is a stable solution.

It's a scalable product.

In our organization, we have 700 users.

Microsoft technical support is excellent.

The previous solution we used, was also provided by Microsoft and Microsoft retired it.

The installation is straightforward. It's very easy.

It took an hour to deploy this solution.

We have a team of five analysts, and developers to maintain this solution.

Hitachi Consulting and Oracle Consulting have assisted us in other companies.

Microsoft .NET Framework is licensed under the Windows License.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would go to get some training. This solution is best used with some training.

I would rate Microsoft .NET Framework a nine out of ten.

Syed Fahad Anwar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal System Developer at HHRC
    Easy to use, scalable, and stable

What is our primary use case?

You are able to develop applications using Microsoft .NET Framework. It is a development framework.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by optimizing the memory for better performance.

I have been using Microsoft .NET Framework for approximately 15 years.

The solution is stable because Mircosoft releases updates frequently.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 13 users using this solution.

When we have contacted Microsoft Support they ask too many questions and requiring too many details. They sometimes do not assign the right person that has the knowledge to deal with the support ticket.

The installation is straightforward. The time for the deployment depends on the environment, but it typically takes approximately 45 minutes.

I did the implementation myself. However, I would recommend using a team of experts for the deployment and maintenance of the solution.

The solution is free but you need to pay for a license for the hosting service.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. However, they need to understand the capability of the Framework, and they should align their solution according to the Framework to prevent any showstopper or bottlenecks in their development process.

I rate Microsoft .NET Framework a nine out of ten.

Amit-Verma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Digital Transformation Director at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    The technology is very vast and the solution does not have limited storage
    • "The solution is not limited in storage, is customizable and simple to use."
    • "I would like to see a better response time from the technical support."

What is our primary use case?

I work on the C#, ASP.NET, SQL Server, and others. I am also developing some scripts for my RPA solutions when needed.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft .NET Framework has introduced many new features, making the technology very vast. In particular, they have a very good Visual Studio environment to do development.

The solution is not limited in storage, is customizable and simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a better response time from the technical support.

This is a stable solution.

Microsoft .NET is scalable.

My experience with Microsoft technical support is that they can be difficult to reach. The support depends on the contract between the client and the company.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Microsoft .NET has both open source and licensing options. Microsoft Framework and Visual Studio are licensed however, they have introduced .NET Core which is open source. In .NET Core, you will find Angular which is open source.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft .NET Framework a nine out of 10 overall.

Download our free Microsoft .NET Framework Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022