Microsoft Defender for Endpoint OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is the #1 ranked solution in endpoint security software, top Anti-Malware Tools, EDR tools, and top Microsoft Security Suite tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Defender for Endpoint an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is most commonly compared to Sophos Intercept X: Microsoft Defender for Endpoint vs Sophos Intercept X. Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Microsoft Defender for Endpoint?

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is a complete endpoint security solution that delivers preventative protection, post-breach detection, automated investigation, and response. With Defender for Endpoint, you have:

Agentless, cloud powered - No additional deployment or infrastructure. No delays or update compatibility issues. Always up to date.

Unparalleled optics - Built on the industry’s deepest insight into Windows threats and shared signals across devices, identities, and information.

Automated security - Take your security to a new level by going from alert to remediation in minutes—at scale.

To learn more about our solution, ask questions, and share feedback, join our Microsoft Security, Compliance and Identity Community.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint was previously known as Microsoft Defender ATP, Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection, MS Defender for Endpoint, Microsoft Defender Antivirus.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Customers

Petrofrac, Metro CSG, Christus Health

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Video

Archived Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Reviews (more than two years old)

Co-Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable, easy to use, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

It is installed on my personal computer. I use it to protect my personal computer.

What is most valuable?

It is stable and very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It can be more secure.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

I didn't use their technical support.

It came with Microsoft Windows.

I got it with the Microsoft Windows license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is very easy to use.

I would rate Microsoft Defender Antivirus an eight out of ten.

Project Director at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Quite effective for preventing virus infections, data leak, or other security breaches
  • "I am using it for very simple purposes. It is perfect and quite effective. I have been using it for a while, and I have never had any virus infection, data leak, or other security breaches. It works fine for standalone purposes. If you log on to OneDrive, it has ransomware protection."
  • "Windows Firewall is integrated with Windows Defender. Over the last few days, I have had a problem with defining a wildcard on Windows Firewall. For example, I wanted to pull out the connection of my program and install a software package with a lot of executable files. I wanted to prevent it from accessing the internet. I could not select executables by using a wildcard. I had to select a single executable with its full name."

What is our primary use case?

Windows Security Essentials is available on Windows 7 and Windows 10. I'm using Windows Defender, and the agent is deployed on-premises on my laptop. I don't know if it has some background cloud services.

I use it for flash memories, portable memories, real-time scanning, threat protection, and capturing the data downloaded from the internet.

What is most valuable?

I am using it for very simple purposes. It is perfect and quite effective. I have been using it for a while, and I have never had any virus infection, data leak, or other security breaches.

It works fine for standalone purposes. If you log on to OneDrive, it has ransomware protection.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for five years or more.

It is very stable.

I don't know about scalability because I have always used it on a single laptop, but I'm sure that there are business options, and you can use it on Windows 7 computers. It must be very scalable.

I live in Iran, and there is no product support in Iran. If there is a technical issue, I prefer to use online information and resources, such as forums and Wiki pages, to resolve the issue.

It is very easy to install. It is preinstalled when you install Windows. If you install other antiviruses, you have to deactivate it in order to use third-party products.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft has started to integrate the interface with new Windows 10 settings. Previously, there was a lack of information. Users weren't aware of the status of the product in terms of what it was doing on your computer and whether it was actually protecting you or not. In the background, it must have been doing its job, but you couldn't be very well aware of the status of the software. All those issues are now resolved. The information now is very handy, and the user interface is also great. I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Microsoft Defender Antivirus a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director, IT at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Flexible, well-integrated with Microsoft products, and the security profile it provides is insightful
  • "The most valuable features are that it is flexible, and it is integrated with Microsoft products."
  • "I would like to have additional features such as DNS lookup, which would help for detecting malicious sites."

What is our primary use case?

We have this security solution activated on 10 different Windows PCs, and we have it for Office 365 products as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is flexible, and it is integrated with Microsoft products. That gives us peace of mind.

I like the security center, as well as the full picture of our security profile and insights.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have additional features such as DNS lookup, which would help for detecting malicious sites. This is a key part that I would like to have, and other products already have it implemented.

I have been using Windows Defender for approximately five months.

Windows Defender is a stable product and we plan to continue using it in the future.

This is a scalable solution. We have between 120 and 140 users right now.

We have not had any problem with the support from Microsoft.

We used a different product prior to this one, but I switched because I have a unified security overview of the corporation. The Security Center is key for being able to work everything from one console.

The initial setup was easy and the installation for the cloud-deployment took no more than an hour.

We deployed with our in-house team. We have two people, not full-time, who take care of deployment and maintenance. They are engineers.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I can recommend it to others.

IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Good support and it comes included with the operating system

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Windows Defender is used to protect against malware.

What is most valuable?

The biggest benefit to Windows Defender is that it is built-in to the operating system by Microsoft.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements made to how it secures activities on web pages.

Web security in general should be improved.

I have been working with Windows Defender for three years.

The technical support from Microsoft is good.

Product Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Good management over endpoints but the technical support needs to be improved
    • "The scanning is slow when it is working with incoming emails."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and I specialize in practically everything that is security-related. This is a product that we sell as part of Office 365, and rarely as a standalone solution.

Usually, if we have a customer with Office 365 and they need this type of solution then we increase the subscription to a point where it is included.

From the user's point of view, this is classic anti-virus software. From a management point of view, this product gives better control over endpoint devices because some processes can be stopped remotely. If you have a person that is watching over the system then they have a higher level of control over endpoints.

What is most valuable?

This is a cloud-based product so it is always updated by the end-user.

What needs improvement?

They have to improve the email scanning where email is coming from somewhere other than our private network. The scanning is slow when it is working with incoming emails. Often, I can see the email but the scanning process is not finished and I cannot open the attachment. In general, the scanning has to be faster.

This solution looks stable. Provided that Windows 10 is updated, everything is okay.

I have not been in contact with technical support in regards to this product. However, technical support for Microsoft products is always of bad quality. In my experience, if you cannot find the solution yourself then you will have a huge problem because it is not an easy task to have them understand and support you.

You can lose a lot of time explaining the problem before you receive something that works.

My advice to is look for a good support library and try to find the solution yourself. This means that you don't need to contact support.

We have worked with many different security solutions. For example, we are selling a Security Operations Center as a service. We implement EDR, Privileged Access Management, Identity Management, anti-fraud solutions, web application firewalls, database security, and more. We are working with practically everything in cybersecurity.

We are working with between 10 and 15 different vendors. Sometimes, this is too many, but it is useful to have information about each product, its quality, and how it compares to others. Two products that we are working with now are Cisco AMP and Carbon Black.

There is a free version of Windows Defender, although the paid version has EDR functionality. We sell this product as part of Office 365 and it is not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I have never touched this product. I'm just selling it, and I don't recommend it to anybody as a standalone solution.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Network Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to use, comes included with windows, and it's a good way to secure your PC
    • "This software is easy to use."
    • "It could be easier when it comes to managing exceptions."

What is most valuable?

I like that this product comes included with Windows.

This software is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It could be easier when it comes to managing exceptions.

In the future, I would like to see better integration with web browsers.

I have been using Windows Defender for three years.

Windows Defender is very stable. We have not experienced bugs or glitches at a rate higher or lower than other software.

The scalability is good. Most of the people in the company use it, for a total of about 30 users.

We have not needed to contact technical support.

Microsoft Windows Defender was the first solution of this type that we used. However, we also use the Sophos EPP Suite for endpoint protection.

This solution is part of Windows and comes included with it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into using this product is that it's a good and easy way to secure your PC.

Senior IT Manager at Excelra
    Good protection against phishing attacks and spam, but seamless integration with EDR is needed
    • "What I like most is the protection against phishing emails and anti-spam."
    • "If they integrate with the EDR then it will benefit this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Defender ATP to prevent anti-phishing, malware transportation, and unwanted spam emails.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is the protection against phishing emails and anti-spam.

What needs improvement?

The integration of the defense features is something that they are working on but it still needs improvement.

In the next release, I would like to have additional features integrated with DNS security and DNS resolution. It will add to the solution and work more like a firewall.

If they integrate with the EDR then it will benefit this solution.

I would like ATP to be integrated with the EDR as one single license.

I have been working with Microsoft Defender ATP for three years.

It is stable, but it depends on how you configure the existing ATP and what existing features you need to enable it.

Based on the features that are enabled, it will work perfectly. 60% to 80% will depend on the configuration that is done for the ATP trade products.

Microsoft Defender ATP is scalable at any point of time.

The technical support was good.

I would rate technical support a four out of five.

The initial setup was not easy but not complex. It was somewhere in between.

There were many things that needed to be integrated with the existing solution, which took some time. It took us a week to deploy this solution.

When compared with other vendors, the pricing is very high.

There are several other features that can be integrated with Microsoft Defender ATP such as EDR. But, it doesn't already come integrated with ATP. It's available at an additional cost.

If you want the EDR feature, you would have to purchase an E-file license. The cost is three times higher to have more productivity with the dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. I would recommend Microsoft Defender ATP to anyone who is interested in using it.

I would rate Microsoft Defender ATP a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Mani MS - PeerSpot reviewer
    CRM & IT Head at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Provides real-time security, but requires time to understand how it works
    • "Its real-time security is the most valuable."
    • "I would like to see online updates for patches for this solution. I would also like to see online information about what is trending in the market in terms of spams, viruses, or trojans. It takes some time to understand how this solution works. A few things are unclear at the beginning, such as whether it actually restricts the virus or spam at the initial stage, or when there is a security update, how will we come to know and how will it get synchronized. It would be really helpful if there is some kind of knowledge base in the form of video, audio, or document that can explain in a user-friendly way the setup, features, risks, and process to mitigate the risks. Currently, I have installed endpoint security for every individual system. I could not install it like other endpoint solutions where we have a server and a client. It would be really helpful if Microsoft Windows Defender has a server-client based model so that I can save some bandwidth when it downloads or uploads features. It will be helpful if we have a LAN-based or WAN-based controlling system."

What is our primary use case?

We use MWD for detecting malware, viruses and protect from Ransomware.

How has it helped my organization?

We don't have third party software for EPS. We have started using Windows defender which is inbuilt one with windows to safeguard our systems from malware. It actually works as an anti-spyware program built to fight unauthorized access and protect our Windows computers from unwanted traffic.

What is most valuable?

Its a complete free version which came as in-built with windows and has no impact on our system performance. We don't need an extra software to be installed for security concerns and virus a such. It is very easy to use comparing to other available software's in the market.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see online updates for patches for this solution. I would also like to see online information about what is trending in the market in terms of spams, viruses, or trojans.

It takes some time to understand how this solution works. A few things are unclear at the beginning, such as whether it actually restricts the virus or spam at the initial stage, or when there is a security update, how will we come to know and how will it get synchronized. It would be really helpful if there is some kind of knowledge base in the form of video, audio, or document that can explain in a user-friendly way the setup, features, risks, and process to mitigate the risks.

Currently, I have installed endpoint security for every individual system. I could not install it like other endpoint solutions where we have a server and a client. It would be really helpful if Microsoft Windows Defender has a server-client based model so that I can save some bandwidth when it downloads or uploads features. It will be helpful if we have a LAN-based or WAN-based controlling system.

I have been using Microsoft Windows Defender for the last six months.

In my experience, Microsoft Windows Defender has never caused any issues as such. It is pretty much stable and has not affected the system resources as per my observation.

The solution is easily scalable. I'm always trying to increase the usage to maximize the capabilities of the product offering. As soon as new capabilities appear I will expand usage to include them.

We never contacted their technical support. Indeed Microsoft technical support has always been great.

I used to use McAfee & Norton as a different solution in my previous Organization.

Its initial setup is fine. I did not find it too complex. We just installed and enabled it on all the systems.

We implemented in-house.

I pay for it through the Windows Professional or Standard license. It is a one-time cost for me, and I use the same license.

What other advice do I have?

I would really recommend this solution because it is an in-built Microsoft product, and it is at the OS level. We don't require a new layer to install it as a software application.

I would rate Microsoft Windows Defender a seven out of ten.

Other
      Nadeem Abdulla - PeerSpot reviewer
      Assistant Manager - IT Infrastructure at Taghleef Industries SpA
      Stable threat protection with good support but it's expensive and has license restrictions
      • "It shows us the risky sign-ins, and if a user's password has been compromised."
      • "I am not sure if I will be using this product in the future because of the price."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for threat detection.

What is most valuable?

It shows us the risky sign-ins, and if a user's password has been compromised.

What needs improvement?

While have been using this solution for two years, I am not completely knowledgable.

Due to license restrictions, we cannot use all of the features that are offered.

I am not sure if I will be using this product in the future because of the price.

I would like to see better pricing for this solution in the future.

I have been working with Microsoft Defender ATP for two years.

We are always using the latest version because it's on the cloud.

With what we have seen, it's a stable solution.

We are not using it widely because of the licensing limits.

We have three users only for Defender ATP, and if we are using the Microsoft ATA it applies to 500 users.

Technical support is good.

We did not use another solution previous to Microsoft Defender ATP.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's included with the Windows 10 Operating System.

There is no time taken for deployment as it is included with the operating system.

We completed the installation ourselves.

We have 15 administrators to deploy and maintain this solution.

Microsoft Defender ATP is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Because of my lack of knowledge or experience with the solutions full capacity, I cannot recommend this solution or offer any advice.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Manager Cyber Defense Operations Centre at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
      Affordable and straightforward without much to improve for personal use
      • "It is easy to install and use requiring little maintenance but applying updates."
      • "It is inexpensive but could be cheaper like anything else."

What is our primary use case?

I installed Windows Defender for personal use for my protection of my personal PC. I use it as an antivirus system so that I do not have any exposure to viruses on my PC. Obviously, I do not want to leave my PC open to virus threats. I have only used it on my personal PCs with the license I got for Office 365. I keep my patches and descriptions updated on my PC.

Defender is installed only one one of my laptops. I am sure I will continue using it there as long as the licensing is valid.

What is most valuable?

I really have not really worked with it that much to be able to customize my approach with it or anything like that. It pretty straightforward to install and use.

What needs improvement?

I do not find that there is very much about it that needs to be improved. Everything can be cheaper I am sure. So, it could be less expansive.

It has been about six months now since I started using Microsoft Windows Defender.

It is stable.

I am sure it is a scalable product.

I was just using or trying to get a personal PC secure using a product I got as part of the Office 365 package. There was no previous product installed.

I found that it was pretty straightforward to install and use. You install it and it is working almost immediately.

I think that the product is affordable. At least it was for me. It is part of the Office 365 package.

What other advice do I have?

I have used it enough to be sure that I could recommend it for home use on a PC.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Defender as a nine-out-of-ten based on my experience.

Cloud Consultant at Brio Technologies Private Limited
      Good with vulnerability assessment and integrates well with Office 365 and Azure
      • "Provides good vulnerability assessment."
      • "The GUI is very complex and could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

This is an endpoint security product. It helps detect and prevent attacks and is very good when it comes to vulnerability assessment. It automatically detects attacks. It provides support for all the end devices, whether it is a Mac OS, Windows, mobiles, Android and iOS, it has support for all. I mostly deal with smaller and medium sized companies, I don't deal much with enterprises. I'm a customer of Microsoft and I work as a solution architect.

What is most valuable?

The product is very good when it comes to vulnerability assessment. It's a Microsoft flagship product and it integrates with Office 365. If my customers are using Office 365 or Azure or a Windows server, it helps to use Defender. Other products like Symantec or McAfee don't have that kind of integration with Microsoft products. In terms of identifying the attacks, it's far superior to Symantec.

What needs improvement?

The GUI is very complex, particularly for normal users who work on it. It could be more user friendly. For future improvements, I'd be looking at internet security which we don't have as Microsoft does not distinguish whether a site is malicious or not. Kaspersky is very good at that but not Microsoft. It would be a big advantage for them if they were to include it.

I've been using this solution for seven months.

It's a stable product. Microsoft only recently entered this market and nobody believed that Microsoft antivirus would be good. They are now trying to prove everyone wrong in that sense by having a good security product.

Scaling in or out is very easy. Scalability is really about licensing so you just have to request a registration license.

Ninety-nine percent of the time, I'm able to solve the problem. I do not have access to Microsoft support so if I go to their open support page and try to login a request, it takes up to 24 hours for the support agent to get back to me. It's pretty average. If you have the premium support or if you're a support partner of Microsoft, they respond back in one or two hours, something like that.

I tested the difference between Symantec and Defender by taking a malware from the internet and downloading it. Symantec allowed me to do it, even though it shouldn't have, but Defender, gave me notification and wouldn't allow me to do it. That said, Symantec is a very stable product that's been on the market for a long time. They have more expertise in endpoint protection than Microsoft. Symantec is not a cost-effective product for most customers. It's integrated with third party companies and is good in protecting endpoint. Because my customer base is companies that use Office 365 and Microsoft Azure so Microsoft integration with these products is very good.

The initial setup is very simple, you just have to attach it to the user's email address. Once the user logs in, it automatically downloads and starts working. I do the implementation.  In terms of maintenance, sometimes my engagement with the client is one time but sometimes, I do maintenance as well. This is a subscription-based, cloud-based product. They have to call me every year to renew.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that if you're already using Microsoft products, then I think it makes sense to go with Microsoft Defender over any other product.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
      Delivery Practice Director at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
      MSP
      Easy to manage, updated frequently, and comes included with Windows
      • "The patch management is very easy, as it can be done automatically or added to a schedule."
      • "I would like to see better integration with their other security products to give better visibility from a higher level."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting company and we use this product for endpoint protection across the company, as well as for our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Windows Defender makes it easy to streamline the updates so we don't really worry about managing it.

What is most valuable?

The patch management is very easy, as it can be done automatically or added to a schedule. This will update all of the virus signatures.

We have a hook from our on-premises application to the cloud services for advanced threat protection, so the management is in the cloud. Centralized management allows us to schedule malware scans.

When you hook it up to the cloud's advanced threat protection, it gives you more than protection from ransomware. It covers different types of malware and allows you to see what malicious software is being executed on the machine.

The product allows you to manage your machine through it, similarly to the way SCCM does.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration with their other security products to give better visibility from a higher level. Integrating with email, Azure, identity management, and other security applications, putting them all together, would be very good.

The first level of technical support is not very useful and it sometimes takes time to escalate to somebody more knowledgeable.

We have been using Microsoft Windows Defender for years.

This product is pretty stable.

We have had no issues with scalability. We deploy it anywhere from a small environment with a hundred users, to a large environment with 15,000 to 20,000 endpoints. The majority of our clients are small to medium-sized, with 3,000 to 4,000 users in the mid-range.

I would rate Microsoft's technical support an eight out of ten. At the first level, the support is very limited. You have to escalate it to the more senior team to get good value.

Some of our clients have used different products from vendors such as Symantec and McAfee, and they were not happy with them. We steered them towards Windows Defender and they switched because of the ATP hook to the cloud.

With other products, you have a management console, so you have to push the signature updates. We still do that now, but it's all in the cloud.

Both Symantec and McAfee come at an additional charge because they are not included in the operating system.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

We are using the version that is included with Windows 10. If you don't purchase the advanced threat protection then there is no additional charge.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Windows Defender is to purchase the ATP, which is in addition to the version that comes with Windows 10. This will allow you to really get the benefits and manage your organization's endpoints as a whole. This requires a presence in the Microsoft environment, such as a subscription to Office 365 or Azure.

I think that people should explore Windows Defender before looking at third-party products. While they are not a pioneer in anti-malware and anti-virus software, they are attacking it and they have a good budget. The advanced threat protection has a large cloud presence in Azure that we can take advantage of, and they update their product frequently. As soon as there is a new threat, they act on it right away.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Head - IT Operations & Enterprise Systems Support at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Few false positives and comes bundled with the operating system, but it needs a comprehensive dashboard

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for protection against malware.

What is most valuable?

What I like best is that it is part of the operating system, as opposed to a third-party application.

The fact that it's from Microsoft, you don't have many false positives, unlike products from other vendors might have.

Updates occur frequently throughout the day.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a dashboard that shows an overview of the results for the enterprise.

We just began using Windows Defender in the company.

We have premium support, which is part of our enterprise agreement with Microsoft.

The deployment takes place with the operating system, so it was not complex.

We used a Microsoft consultant to assist with our implementation.

This product is included in the pricing for Windows.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

it_user1305759 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Team Lead at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
      Easy to use with great anti-malware features and quite stable
      • "It's absolutely free to use."
      • "The anti-ransomware features need to be improved upon."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it due to the fact that it comes with the Windows 10 bundle and is free. We use it for security purposes. It scans for viruses and malware for us.

What is most valuable?

The solution was highly ranked in the Gartner Report.

It's absolutely free to use.

The anti-malware features are great.

It doesn't use up a lot of resources on my laptop, so it's not slowing anything down.

The product is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The anti-ransomware features need to be improved upon.

I've been using the solution for about a year. I switched over when I updated my computer to Windows 10.

The solution is very stable. So far I haven't had any issues on my laptop. It uses very little resources. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches that I have noticed.  It's reliable.

I'm currently only using it on my laptop. I'm not sure if the solution can scale per se.

I will continue to use the solution, regardless of its scalability potential.

I've never had a reason to reach out to technical support, as the solution runs very well. As I've never contacted them, I can't speak to the quality of their service at this time.

I did previously try to use the free version of Avast. It's not really user friendly like Defender and it used to use a lot of my laptop's resources. I switched to Defender as it was also free and came with my Windows 10.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward. When you download Windows 10 it comes pre-loaded and ready to go. It's a default now. Previously, it was a little more difficult.

The solution is free. Once a user downloads Windows 10, they automatically get the product.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution. Why not, after all? It's already there within Windows 10 and is part of a user's Microsoft bundle.

Overall, I'd rate the product eight out of ten. If it had more ransomware protection, I'd rate it higher. As it is, the solution offers great malware features, is ranked pretty highly in Gartner and is easy to implement and use. Plus, it doesn't drain a lot of your machine's resources, which is a bonus.

Ganusha Alwis - PeerSpot reviewer
      Deputy General Manager at SLT Visioncom Pvt Ltd
      Gets updated with new security features on a regular basis but there is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints
      • "We have liked the fact that it comes with Microsoft Windows 10 and it is constantly updated with all new virus definitions. It is also updated with new security features on a regular basis."
      • "There is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints. There is no behavior-based protection."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Windows Defender for normal internet security. We use it to detect viruses. We have about 100 users.

What is most valuable?

We have liked the fact that it comes with Microsoft Windows 10 and it is constantly updated with all new virus definitions. It is also updated with new security features on a regular basis. We don't use any other third party products.

What needs improvement?

There is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints. There is no behavior-based protection. It does not allow us to pull data from ransomware and zero-day attacks.

We have used Microsoft Windows Defender since 2010. We used Microsoft Essentials with Windows 7 then we upgraded to Windows 10. Since then we have used Microsoft Windows Defender.

Microsoft Windows Defender is stable.

We have had no issues with scalability.

We have not needed any support from Microsoft so far so there are not any complications with customer support so far.

Recently we tested another product that employs Endpoint Detection and Response and also behavior analysis protection. It also was able to filter activities or data. These are things that Microsoft Windows Defender does not do. We stayed with Windows Defender because of the cost.

Microsoft Windows Defender is easy to set up and easy to manage.

We were able to set it up in-house. We have two people in-house that manage Windows Defender.

What other advice do I have?

If you require Endpoint Detection and Response or Behavior Analysis and you can afford it then go with those products. I would rate Microsoft Windows Defender a seven out of ten.

John-Maina - PeerSpot reviewer
      Navision Consultant and user support at NCPD
      Leaderboard
      If any viruses are found, they are cleaned automatically
      • "Automatic scanning and cleaning of viruses is the best and most valuable feature helping this tool to thrive. If any viruses are found, they are cleaned automatically."
      • "With increase of cyber threats and cybersecurity issues, I would recommend that the product be developed like an AI product with more features which can counter any threat in the coming eras."

What is our primary use case?

I have used Windows Defender to protect my computer from viruses or harmful websites on either flash drives and other removable devices when I am online which tend to attack my computer and corrupt it causing inefficiencies in my computer working processes.

I usually check from time to time if the hard disks of my computer has been infected and remove the files that are harmful to my systems. Another purpose of this tool is blocking and filtering sites that are harmful or appear threatening to my system.

How has it helped my organization?

Windows Defender has improved my organisation's security in many ways which ensure that my systems are being safeguarded. Since we are mostly online doing our projects and research, we tend to enter into harmful sites that may damage our computers. But Windows Defender does great work in blocking and warning you of those sites. Another advantageous part is that when removable devices are connected to our systems they are scanned for viruses and cleaned immediately. Hence, it ensures no viruses from external devices enter into our systems. It automatically scans and checks for viruses on the hard drive from time to time ensuring good security in our systems.

I have used the solution for more than five years and the solution has greatly influenced my work. It gives good results in protecting my systems and data.

What is most valuable?

Automatic scanning and cleaning of viruses is the best and most valuable feature helping this tool to thrive. If any viruses are found, they are cleaned automatically.

Another feature is the ability to filter sites and block harmful ones, which makes it to enter sites with full protection. This ensures no harmful Trojans can be sent into our systems through those sites and are always blocked when detected.

Another great feature is the ability to warn the system user, making it easier to know when a virus has been found on our system.

It is easy to use and has a lot functionality to make systems safeguarded in the right manner.

What needs improvement?

The product should keep updating its software as to counter incoming threats since threats are becoming more advance with time. The product should be strong in all parts.

I would recommend if the product continues to be updated that the way it updates is faster for downloading and updating in our system. The stability is good and should continue to perform well in that way.

With increase of cyber threats and cybersecurity issues, I would recommend that the product be developed like an AI product with more features which can counter any threat in the coming eras.

I have used the product more than five years. It is a great tool.

The solution is very stable. It has good features that make it efficient in the security aspects of our systems.

The product has performed very well in my computers. I don't have any complains about its functionality.

I have never used any solution apart from Windows Defender when safeguarding my systems.

The solution comes pre-installed in the Windows Operating System so you do not have to install it manually. You are required to connect to the Internet and update the solution to the latest version.

I am just an end user of the solution.

I hired a technical guy to keep the solution up-to-date since it could be more stable and work more efficiently.

I invested in Windows Defender since it has good functionalities.

The product is free of charge and comes integrated into Windows.

I chose Windows Defender for system safety, its ease of use, and the continuous update of the product.

What other advice do I have?

Windows is a great tool that I have used. It has helped my organisation in achieving what it does daily and protected our data in a great way.

I would recommend every user who has a computer or laptop to consider using Windows Defender since it is the best tool to safeguard your system from malware and attacks.

it_user826284 - PeerSpot reviewer
      MIS Director at a real estate/law firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
      A good out-of-the-box solution to protect from data loss but scanning sometimes freezes the memory

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to save our data from getting lost in the case of network attacks or viruses.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we can use the solution right out of the box without too much configuration.

What needs improvement?

There's scanning going on that occasionally topples the memory, causing everything to freeze. This should be fixed.

In future releases, it would be helpful if they included something that can control any handset viruses.

I've been using the solution for more than two years.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment solution.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Deputy Director at BG Service
      Intuitive, easy to use, and good for people who don't have much experience in security
      • "The most valuable features are that it's easy to use and the updates are very simple."
      • "I would like to be able to set up any kind of protection I want in the firewall, any IP address or any number."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to defend from viruses.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's easy to use and the updates are very simple.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to set up any kind of protection I want in the firewall, any IP address or any number.

I would like to be able to customize my protection on the dashboard.

It's a good product but it is limited in some cases. I had a bad experience because a few weeks ago I was in Seoul in Korea and with my Dropbox, my children did some things on my computer at home and I got ransomware to Defender and it corrupted my whole Dropbox. The stability can use improvement.

It's easy to document new people. With the dashboard, I can set up rules to protect myself from any IP address coming from an external network.

We use this solution daily. We don't have plans to increase the usage.

We have around ten to twelve users. They are only users, not admins. We only require one admin. A guy sometimes comes to set up a desktop and do the configuration.

We have never needed to contact their technical support.

The cost is per-user. We pay more for an Enterprise license.

What other advice do I have?

I would say this is a good product. It's very intuitive, easy to use, and very good for people who don't have much experience in security.

This a very good product because every time there is an update it corrects any issues. It can help an enterprise go up.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Gabriel Petcu - PeerSpot reviewer
      Program Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      An excellent well-integrated solution that's stable and scalable
      • "Defender is integrated into the operating system. It's integrated with everything. You don't have to spend time analyzing what you have to do to be sure that the integration is okay between the security tool and all the other apps. This, from my point of view, is the main advantage."
      • "The solution needs to improve its ransomware. It's not so good. It could also use some general performance optimization for the computers the solution operates on, to ensure it does not slow down the devices."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it for myself and my businesses as a protection solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the protection given via the antivirus.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its ransomware. It's not so good. It could also use some general performance optimization for the computers the solution operates on, to ensure it does not slow down the devices.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is easily scalable. I'm always trying to increase the usage to maximize the capabilities of the product offering. As soon as new capabilities appear I will expand usage to include them. In terms of physical expansion to other devices, I already have the solution on all of my devices.

I've never needed to contact technical support.

I did previously use a different solution, but it was more convenient to work with Defender. I wanted to use the same provider. I'm using the Microsoft operating system and Microsoft applications. It seemed to be a logical step.

Initially, a few years ago, the setup was not so easy. Now, with Windows 10, it's automatic. It's already within the system, so now we don't have to worry. Initially, before Windows 10, we had to install it. It was not so complicated, but a bit more complicated than now where you don't have to do anything at all. Originally, the deployment took about 10-15 minutes. You only need one person for deployment and maintenance. With the 2000 version, maintenance is almost nonexistent. You just follow up and approve the updates. It's a fraction of the time.

I implemented the solution myself.

You have a standard licensing fee. As far as I know, there are no other costs above and beyond this.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model of the solution.

I would recommend the solution. I would rate it ten out of ten.

it_user964356 - PeerSpot reviewer
      IT Help Desk at Elsewedy Electric Algerie
      Useful real-time protection features and excellent updates
      • "I like the real-time protection features. Windows Defender will detect if there's a threat like a Trojan or something like that but Kaspersky lets it run normally."
      • "The system can always be simplified and have a better integration check. More detailed reports would be good. When it does the integrated check, it just shows if the system is okay but I want to know what happened."

What is most valuable?

I find the layer protection and real-time protection very useful because when I launch a program, I always have a notification and an alarm. Sometimes I am on a program on Windows Defender and sometimes on Kaspersky and it shows up on whatever I am using. I like the real-time protection features. Windows Defender will detect if there's a threat like a Trojan or something like that but Kaspersky lets it run normally.

What needs improvement?

This solution is not perfect. Sometimes it detects something and it's not a threat. The good news is that you can restore something and analyze it better and you can restore the file and copy it or disable the defender and run it again.

The system can always be simplified and have a better integration check. More detailed reports would be good. When it does the integrated check, it just shows if the system is okay but I want to know what happened.

I've been using the solution for three to four years.

The solution is stable but sometimes when you do a security update when it starts, you see the hinge process in Task Manager. It also sometimes corrupts the PC. You need to either start it or recalibrate. If the installation happened without it starting, like patching without starting, it's better.

With Windows Defender, it will want to do these updates so that when you install an update it has to be done with a Windows update and then you can start. If you can manage it easily in a natural phase like updating security, ejecting and installing, it's better. Like checking a box.

I'm not sure about scalability. I think if you have an enterprise license and more features in an enterprise package it will be good. We have about 200 users.

I haven't personally used technical support.

The initial setup was easy. It's easy to install and maintain.

What other advice do I have?

The majority of the updates are really good.

I would rate this solution eight out of 10.

Information Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      A security implementation that supplies proactive issue resolution with cloud analytics and APT
      • "This is a very go, proactive solution to threat protection using advanced analysis."
      • "Updates are not coming out of preview quickly enough and it is holding back on the development of the product."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the solution is threat detection and response.

How has it helped my organization?

It's basically for security implementation, response planning capabilities and other security functions. Obviously, auditing, HR, requirements, legals, auditing, banking, and financial services all require a lot of the data that are generated and reported out of the platform.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable for us are cloud analytics from the APT (Advanced Threat Protection) engine or quarantine, deletion, and removal. Basically, they work by web engine. Simply, it is proactive in resolving potential issues.

What needs improvement?

There are certain features that do have room for improvement. I think with the analytics engine they're looking at it from the desktop and the server perspective. I think the desktop engine should also include the script analytics — what executed, what's the power shelf or UI commands, or some form of Splunk regex. I know we don't have that functionality with a run-time analytics platform, but it's a JS (JavaScript) based one. So it would be good if they had a regex to JS converter.

The biggest problem is they need to take things out of preview. I know that they're developing on the platform service with the analytics engine, but so many services still rate it as a preview after 12 to 18 months, which is stopping adoption with businesses knowing that that solution could be filled and redirected at any time. So that delay is limiting technology to be able to be updated because they don't have to release all production support.

I've been using it for about eight-and-a-half years, if you add the early adoption projects.

In the last 12 months, we've moved up to the Gartner Magic Quadrant report as a leading form of threat analysis. Obviously, the more clients that migrate to Cloud Services the more analytics platforms are picking it up. There are auto-resolutions and it's getting more cross-correlations between tendency. So we're getting a lot more APT (Applied Predictive Technologies) and IOC (Indicators of Compromise) data through which you can get a better response, better response times, automatic remediation tasks, reduce the amount of the alerts and false positives — that sort of thing. It's all really useful. It's scaling out on its own.

We get direct support. They're literally across the road from us. We've got multiple Microsoft engineers assigned to our contract as well, so we deal directly with their engineering teams.

The setup was simple and straightforward.

Here we SCOM (System Center Operations Manager) SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager) deployment for pushing out the agent's, done the deployment for the AIP (Azure Information Protection) scanners and load that unified data locally.

We consulted with Microsoft, but we're a full IT workhouse so we have qualified engineers that were coming off a three-year capability program to deliver all of those services.

As far as the amount of staff we use to support the solution, we have a lot of managed providers and different international SOC (Security Operations Center) teams and different agencies that manage a lot of the services. I would say that globally we would have probably about close to a hundred engineers working on the solutions full-time with cloud app development and Kubernetis and things like that.

We compared extensively between multiple services, everything from Azure, cloud service providers, identity providers, platform SaaS providers — we did all that before we sort of consolidated on certain technologies in different areas.

We're utilizing a lot of the services. There will be some future state planning goals, but we're taking a risk-averse assessment on the product. We're more controlled about how things like our customer member data protections, cryptography and those types of things are working. So we're doing still doing a little bit of assessment. I know it's got the ASD clearance rating and certain services, but that's based off the tenancy agreements.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say the product rates about an eight out of ten as it currently stands.

You have to implement the product — there's no choice. You can't use the exchange online protection or the advanced analytics or obscure identity IP protection without the APT being installed on the endpoint. Otherwise you're not getting into threat intelligence or the actions. You're not going to get the full response plan or activities that occurred. You cannot deploy without APT being installed on the desktops and have a full, defined solution for unified labeling. That has to be deployed and tested for unstructured data for at least six months with the AIP (Azure Information Protection) scan that's deployed with APT.

‎Microsoft Enterprise administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Has prevented all viruses since we implemented it
      • "It's really stable. I've used a lot of stuff, a lot of products, like ESET and Kaspersky. None of them are comparable with this one. This one is much better."
      • "The end-user also cannot do some advanced actions on it. It's a little bit complicated for our end-user, so it needs to be simplified."

What is most valuable?

The solution is really fast. I have never experienced any viruses since I've been using it.

What needs improvement?

I think the console can be better.

I think the solution is complicated. This one is one of the concerns that I like to talk about because some end-users do not know how to navigate through the console and how to work with them. I think this is not such a big deal, but I know that there will be other things that may be important to us like, how we can centrally manage users and reports are really important for us. For example, in Kaspersky, we had a problem where we couldn't detect the attacks that we had in some of our zones in our data center. I think if Microsoft Windows Defender can report these things, it's going to be great.

I've been using the solution for six years.

It's really stable. I've used a lot of products, like ESET and Kaspersky. None of them are comparable with this one. This one is much better.

To scale the solution, I think you need more licenses but I'm not sure. We have 100 to 1,000 users. We just use it for some end users, not for all the users. The users are mainly end-users and a few admins. We plan to increase users annually.

We used other solutions, like ESET and Kaspersky. We had to change at first due to user complaints, especially about Kaspersky, because it used a lot of the resources. So we switched to ESET but after some time we just switched to Windows Defender

The initial setup was really easy, a no brainer.

I installed the solution on my own.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution because I can confidently tell everyone that this product is working very well and it's stable. You are always sure that they are able to deal with a virus or something else that may interrupt your work.

I would rate this solution nine out of 10.

Associate System Engineer - Security Services at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Product has a decent detection rate, but there are some challenges related to reporting
      • "Within its class I think, it has a high and decent detection rate."
      • "There's a lot of manual effort involved to configure what we need."

What is our primary use case?

We use this as our antivirus solution.

What is most valuable?

Within its class I think, it has a high and decent detection rate.

What needs improvement?

There were a few detections that are not picked up, and then Microsoft picks up on that and they update it. That's just a normal thing you go through based on every antivirus solution. You're always going to have viruses and signatures that are coming out.

So, I wouldn't say it's the perfect solution because if you're looking at next-generation behavioral based things, for example, if you're going to use ATP, that's when you can get more methods out of it. With Defender, if you pay more you can get the ATP component, which is sold separately by Microsoft.

We do have some challenges in the reporting aspect of it.

There's a lot of manual effort involved to configure what we need.

There are also a few issues with policies.

I've been using this solution for six months.

What other advice do I have?

Defender by itself is not a solution. Defender is basically a functionality.

We have some issues with reporting, but I think it's just the way we've integrated right now, again not using ATP. So, we just use STC MS management. Then it's limited in terms of reporting.

From an operator's perspective, I think there are some policy detection issues where you've got a detection for a signature but how it translates into the FCCM dashboard where it doesn't really categorize that particular model. It picks something up as bad but it's just unknown.

So, I think that's a known issue with this particular thing. Because it doesn't know what it is classified as it doesn't really do anything. For it to do something, the policy has to recognize the category of that number. It could be a trojan horse or whatever it is, but it doesn't really do that. It could be what they call an autonomous detection where the system categorizes it as not recognized and hence it blocks it, but it's not going to let you delete it instantly. Usually, you can say if it's detected you want to block it, that's the first step. The second step is to be able to delete the file or quarantine the file. But it doesn't recognize that, so it doesn't know what it needs to do. Instead, it just blocks it. It only blocks it because it doesn't recognize it as being Malware.

I would rate this product a six out of ten.

Ibikunle Imam - PeerSpot reviewer
      COO at Floating-Dot Technology LTD
      Free software to prevent malware and viruses that is bundled with the operating system
      • "It's free. There is no additional cost. It's part of Windows."
      • "Microsoft Windows Defender doesn't have a game mode."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Windows Defender is to prevent malware and viruses. Security is the main purpose that it is used for by our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

We are no longer buying a separate antivirus with Windows 10 Server Enterprise. We are no longer buying antivirus solutions where there is no compatibility with Windows 10.

What is most valuable?

The malware features are most valuable for us because if you have an application that attacks, it is defended. It gives you a prompt and doesn't allow you to launch that app.

If there's an application that has suspicious malware you downloaded from the internet, it gives you a prompt to prevent the application from launching.

Microsoft Windows Defender moves it to the recycle bin automatically.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Windows Defender doesn't have a game mode. Other antivirus software (like BitDefender) have something known as a game mode.

If you want to play a game, just enable the game mode to allow certain traffic without needing to configure it. Windows Defender doesn't have that.

There's no Windows Server edition for Windows Defender as part of the distribution.

Personally it has been about a year and a half, but in the office are we using it seven months.

In my experience, Microsoft Windows Defender has never caused any issues in operation. It is very stable. It doesn't affect the system.

Since it's a Microsoft product, scalability is top-notch. This shouldn't be an issue.

I have never had a problem with technical support. I didn't use it. I have never had any performance issues with it.

We used Bitdefender, McAfee, and Norton antivirus software previously. Those are the main experiences that we have. We used all of those at various times.

Microsoft Windows Defender installs automatically. There's no setup procedure. When you install Windows Suite or Enterprise on your machine, it installs quickly.

There's nothing that might disturb it being activated. It installs with the operating system.

It's free because it comes with Windows. It's a free solution. We're not paying any license.

That's why it's better than Bitdefender, McAfee, or Norton. It's free.

What other advice do I have?

For Windows Defender, there's no server edition for it. It's free. There is no additional cost. It's part of Windows, i.e. if you have issues with compatibility using other products.

If you paid for Windows, it already comes with Windows Pro and Windows Enterprise automatically. It's better to go with it than pay the additional expense of deploying other solutions.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this product a nine. It doesn't have all the features that it needs to be perfect.

IT Security Analyst at Ingenium Group
      Has good detection rates, is low on system resources, doesn't interfere or hamper workflows, and it's easy to use
      • "Ensures that I'm working with a product that gets updated regularly without me having to remember to do it. Since it's a Microsoft product, I'm confident that it requires a low use of system resources. The benefit of that being that my computer isn't constantly being drained."
      • "It would be nice to have a paid upgrade that would provide additional screening of the day-to-day activities."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case centers around blocking viruses on my personal laptop.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm working as a private contractor. In this regard, you can say this tool ensures I'm working with a product that gets updated regularly without me having to remember to do it. Since it's a Microsoft product, I'm confident that it requires a low use of system resources. The benefit of that being that my computer isn't constantly being drained.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of this product is the ability to "set it and forget it." I don't go in and make any changes to the settings. Another value add is the size of the user base, which is fairly large because it's a free MS product. I would imagine that it would be quite competitive since a blacklisting solution such as this is only as good as the threat intelligence it receives. I'm pretty sure that if the tool discovers something foreign and malicious it will upload that information back to Microsoft. The value of the tool is inherent within the size of the user base, which is fairly large because it's a free product by a trusted company.

What needs improvement?

I'm sure the premium product has extra features, like listing questionable websites. Defender is just an antivirus product. It would be nice to have a paid upgrade that would provide additional screening of the day-to-day activities.

Three to five years.

I haven't had any noticeable issues with it. It's quite stable.

It's very easy to set up. With admin rights, it really is very straightforward. All you need to do is install the tool and then download the definitions.

Deployment was just basically downloading from Microsoft. It was very straightforward.

I'm currently evaluating the performance of Defender against third-party antivirus software products to see if I should continue with third-party products or just use Windows Defender.

What other advice do I have?

My additional advice would be to create a test user group, deploy the software to those test users and then monitor those users as part of a log management operations center and run comparisons over several months. Comparing those users, against other users perhaps using a third-party product, like Symantec, would allow for calculation of performance and progress metrics. Based on that, a decision can be made as to whether to deploy the software across the organization or not.

I'd give this tool a rating of 8 out of 10. It's got good detection rates, low on system resources, doesn't interfere or hamper workflows, and it's easy to use.

it_user1083 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Manager of Operations at a tech company with 51-200 employees
      Defender antivirus provides internet security at a lower price.

Valuable Features:

Defender is an antivirus program available at a lower price than other products, like Symantec, McAfee, etc. Recently, Defender has now been integrated with Kaspersky Labs. There are two variants available for this product, Home basic edition and Pro. It has features that all other antivirus programs have like anti-spam, URL syntax checking, Firewall, Anti-spyware, etc. Defender has one surprise feature though called Secret Surf, which leaves no trail of your browsing history. There is feature, like free update of Anti-spyware database, that most other common Anti-virus programs don't provide.

Room for Improvement:

The most problematic part of this program is the difficult customer service. Upgrading the software may cause a little bit of trouble. Your computer may lock down soon after your first reboot. There have also been some problems with the connectivity and with the internet, soon after the installation of the program. Trouble-shooting by Customer Support Engineer may take some time to figure out the problem and fix it. You may find your computer slowing down after installing the program.

Other Advice:

Defender Pro or Home Basic antivirus provides some sort of security against the latest internet threats, but going for the reputed Anti-virus software like Symantec Endpoint, Quick Heal, etc. would be a wiser choice. The price of this program may be a bit lower, but safety of you and your computer is of greater importance.
      Download our free Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: November 2022