IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Nirav Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
Cyber Security Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Automated Investigation and Response reduces workload of our SOC analysts, but lacks integration customization
  • "One of the features which differentiates it from other EDR providers is the Automated Investigation and Response, which reduces the workload of SOC analysts or engineers. They don't have to manually investigate each and every alert on the endpoint, since it does so automatically. And you can automate the investigation part."
  • "Other vendors provide a lot of customization when it comes to integration, which every big organization requires. No big organization depends on one particular tool. Defender lacks that at this point."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for endpoint detection and response. The agent is installed on the endpoint, on the laptop or desktop, but it's a SaaS solution.

How has it helped my organization?

One feature that has proven beneficial is the Threat and Vulnerability Management module of Defender for Endpoint, which provides information on the vulnerability of all the endpoints. We don't have to run active scans via network scanners. It is built-in. That has proven to be helpful, although we're still in the early phases. We have identified vulnerabilities that were in our organization for too long and nobody knew about those machines and the vulnerabilities on them. From a vulnerability remediation point of view, it has been quite helpful to us.

What is most valuable?

One of the features which differentiates it from other EDR providers is the Automated Investigation and Response, which reduces the workload of SOC analysts or engineers. They don't have to manually investigate each and every alert on the endpoint, since it does so automatically. And you can automate the investigation part. In addition, there are several features that have helped to improve our security posture at the prevention level, such as the attack surface reduction controls and the exploit prevention control. The attack surface reduction comes with the solution, out-of-the-box. There is Application Control as well, which is kind of difficult to implement, but once you are through the pain of designing and implementing it, it is one of the very good features to have. These tools are some of the things that are missing from other vendors' products, as I have worked with McAfee, Symantec and Carbon Black.

What needs improvement?

One area for improvement is that, because it comes out-of-the-box, it does not interact well with many applications we have developed in-house. There is no way to exclude them because it interacts with everything on the endpoint. One of the issues is lagging: the in-house-developed applications suffer from this and they become slow. For a big enterprise, it is important that they include a feature so that we can exclude these applications. Another area where it could be improved is that, while it collects a lot of data, it misses some data, which is important, such as the hardware version of the endpoint and the AV signature version. I think this improvement is in the Microsoft pipeline already but it is not in the solution yet.
Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for around one and a half years.

It has been quite stable up until now. It does not break. Microsoft is developing on it quite frequently and more and more features are coming in, but overall it is quite stable. It does not break that often. As we have moved away from Microsoft Defender Antivirus and to the EDR solution, we have seen very few issues so far that users have faced with this. There have been very occasional performance issues for some users, but they have been very rare.

Scalability is one thing which, I think, Microsoft is working on, because it is not yet very scalable. What it provides out-of-the-box is all it has. Any big organization needs customization, but the customization of it and running customized things on top of it are areas where it is lagging. That something Microsoft needs to work on. Examples include running custom playbooks or customizing the events which it is collecting. We are protecting 100,000 endpoints with this solution. We may increase usage, but there is no plan for that as of yet.

Microsoft technical support is good.

Before Microsoft Defender for Endpoint we had Carbon Black. But when I came onboard, Defender for Endpoint had already been chosen.

The setup process is not very complex, but it is also not very straightforward. It depends what solutions you have. If you have everything set up, which is usually the case for big organizations, then it is pretty smooth. But if there are some things that are not set up properly in the organization, like certain parts of the infra or the cloud onboarding, then it becomes cumbersome, not the installation part, but in setting up the backend which it needs. Our implementation strategy was that we started with a few pilot machines, to onboard Defender for Endpoint. We noticed that we had around 70 to 80 percent failures. It was a learning phase and we identified the root cause of those failures. There are some settings in Defender AV that need tweaking when you want to onboard Defender for Endpoint. We struggled to tweak those settings, but once that was done, it went pretty smoothly for the next couple of pilots. Then we encountered another roadblock which was related to an OS version dependency. Overall, it took us about one month to onboard the solution, but we are weak in infra.

We had our consultant from Microsoft for the implementation. The engagement went on for three to four months. But one thing we noticed from this project was that it did not need a consultant. It was not that difficult to do. Maybe we did not get an expert consultant because, for solving issues, he also took time. In addition to doing onboarding, we wanted our third-party integrations, but that was something they could not do because they were Microsoft. We had to do that ourselves. Over that three or four months, we realized that we didn't need them. Microsoft consultancy is good and bad. If you get good consultants, they are really good. But sometimes you get consultants who are not expert enough in their domains and you don't get enough from them.

We have not seen ROI yet, but we are hopeful that in the future it will provide that.

One of the differences between other solutions I have used and Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is that the latter is not yet enterprise-ready to the same extent that the other vendors are. Other vendors provide a lot of customization when it comes to integration, which every big organization requires. No big organization depends on one particular tool. Defender lacks that at this point.

What other advice do I have?

Defender for Endpoint is marketed as an endpoint detection and response tool, but for others who are looking at onboarding it, they should take it as a holistic tool that provides AV, EDR, and vulnerability management all in one. However, it does not provide very good integration with third parties.
Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Makes monitoring a lot easier and minimizes on-prem administration
  • "DFE organizational security posture has been a positive experience. We're a Microsoft house. It works. Once it's deployed and once it's configured, it works and our clients tend to be happy with it. I haven't really experienced anyone who has been so unsatisfied with the platform that they wanted to go a couple of different directions, that has never happened to me."
  • "Monitoring can always be better, onboarding can be a little bit faster, log collection could be easier, they could streamline the dashboard. They could maybe split it up into different workspaces and have the ability to segment groups a little bit more."

What is our primary use case?

The area that I focus on the most is Endpoint Protection. We use Intune to build custom devices and configurations, to push out group policies, and do quite a bit with Azure Log Analytics.

I'm writing a script from a multi-home deployment of the MMA Agent. The use case varies a lot, depending on the clients' needs. Our clients tend to be pretty big companies. The smallest client I have is about 600 people. Our biggest client is about 50,000.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It's Microsoft native. Microsoft is the corporate default, so it makes sense to use security platforms that are baked into the Microsoft platform. That's probably the most valuable aspect of it.

It has specific features that improve our customer's security posture. It makes the monitoring a lot easier and minimizes on-prem administration. A lot of the administrative stuff is all folded into Azure. It makes things easier.

The platform just makes things easier compared to on-prem or hybrid solutions because if you start working in an on-prem solution, most of the time it's going to be a battlefield.

DFE affects the end-user experience when it's deployed. The more freedom a user has on the device, the more they're used to doing things their own way. By locking things down, by having device configurations, you disrupt the workflow. You need a lot of user education where you have to explain why you're doing these things. I'm a part of security. It's twofold, in that users have to get used to the new configurations. And the reason why we might take a little bit longer with pilot phases is that we have to identify how it'll affect the users and how the differences of different business units will be affected. Developers need a more open environment than other solutions.

What needs improvement?

Everything can always be improved. Improvements would depend on the client.

Monitoring can always be better, onboarding can be a little bit faster, log collection could be easier, they could streamline the dashboard. They could maybe split it up into different workspaces and have the ability to segment groups a little bit more.

I have been using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint on and off for about three or four years.

It's only the last two and a half years that it's been a big part of my job.

Microsoft has some creative accounting when they promise an SLA of 99.99%. But it is generally good. There's always going to be a problem with the cloud. If it works 99% of the time, that's great.

The frustrating thing is, you're not sure if there's a problem with your configuration or if the service itself is down because Microsoft tends to only report that the service is down much later than when you started experiencing things. So sometimes I have to jump onto a private forum or a Slack channel and ask other consultants if they experienced something similar. But when it works, it works. There's never going to be a cloud solution that has 100% uptime.

Scalability is fine. I mainly work with implementation, so I haven't really had to mess around with the scalability. I'm responsible for setting up security policies, and then if they want to do scalability, that's another team. I sit in security.

I haven't worked with support. I generally don't use Microsoft Support.

We were Microsoft partners last year. We're gold partners where we won security partners of the year, so we have an account manager. If it really hits the fan, then I would just talk to him.

I've been an IaaS specialist since I began my career. I've done Apple MDM solutions and I've done Google Workspace, but when it comes to actual IaaS, I can't really compare. Because we're a Microsoft house, we generally don't use third parties or competitors.

The complexity of the setup depends on the environment. If it's Greenfield, it's super easy. I've been doing this for two to three years now. Most of the time it's easy. The larger companies have more complex networks and systems. The smaller the company, the easier it is to deploy.

The beginning of the project, like scoping, implementation, the entire process, or just the actual deployment depends on the size of the company. For smaller companies, we'll push some policies out. We'll do a week or two of a pilot phase where we identify different stakeholders and different business units. We collect feedback from them, keep an eye out on the audit logs and if that goes well, then we go into phase two, which takes another week or two where we slowly push out, if it's an accounting department with 60 people, then we'll do batches of 20. We'll have a pilot group of five and then we'll push it out to 20 people at a time.

The project managers worry about the licenses. I get my scope, I know the limitations I have to work with, and then I just make a solution based on that. I'm a very technical consultant and I don't really care about licenses, that doesn't really have anything to do with me.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to start small, don't start a project thinking that it's the best solution, and bowl it out straight away. Take your time. Don't think that you'll be able to incorporate the platform within a month, although that would depend on the size of your business. Take your time, there's no rush, be patient. Because there will always be some problems.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
June 2022
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Prosanjit Mondal - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Out-of-the-box and brings more value to customers; provides technically sound support, but is not as robust and not as customizable
  • "What I found most valuable in Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is that it's out-of-the-box, which brings more value to the customer. The technical support for the product is also one of the best parts, because it's good, in terms of the product knowledge of the technical engineers."
  • "Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is not as robust, and you cannot customize it much, so that's a challenge."

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is that it's out-of-the-box, which brings more value to the customer. The technical support for the product is also one of the best parts, because it's good, in terms of the product knowledge of the technical engineers.

What needs improvement?

In Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, the devices still need to mature a little more when compared to other AV solutions. Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is not as robust, and you cannot customize it much, so that's a challenge. These are the rooms for improvement in the product.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is still being improved. I would say it's still in the development stage. Daily, Microsoft is getting feedback from the customers, so they are modifying the product based on the feedback and requirements of the customers. It's an ongoing process, and as a consultant, I'm in a much better shape, from a consultant point of view, in terms of speaking with customers.

What I'd like to see in the next release of Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is a single console where you can manage all the policies, Intune, and the EDR capability that can be managed through Intune. There should be a single portal for that to make it more convenient for the security consultant engineer to work with. Right now, I have to hop between different controls. Even the tenant attach feature needs to become more mature in Microsoft Defender for Endpoint because it's just very basic. The concept is good, but it's very basic, so it requires more effort for the engineer to configure.

I've been dealing with Microsoft Defender for Endpoint since 2018.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is a stable product.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is a cloud solution, so it's always scalable.

Technical support for Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is good, and it's the best part. Microsoft knows that the product needs some development, so they're working on improvements, but all the technical engineers I've worked with so far are very technically sound and they know the product.

The initial setup for Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is straightforward, if you are aware or have knowledge of it. For example, it's easy if you have gone through all the phases of setting up Microsoft Defender for Endpoint when it started as a manual deployment, manual configuration, then it came through GTO, then SSCM, then Intune, and now SMM. If you have gone through all the phases of deployment, then you know where you need to go and where to change the settings.

If you just started with Intune, or you're dealing with a combination of Intune and a firewall, the initial setup won't be as easy. It could be challenging for a newcomer, because you do not have much experience with Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, but they'll give you good support, and they'll try to resolve the challenges that come up when setting up the solution.

Pricing for Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is competitive. Out of the bundle, you will get a lot of security, if I talk about Microsoft E5, for example, and get a lot of benefits. If the customer goes and purchases a different solution, it will cost more, so pricing for Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is quite reasonable at the moment. There isn't any challenge in terms of pricing, for example, I didn't see a customer who pulled back because of the price. Some prices could be negotiable, and sometimes, as a sales point, the two become negotiable, but they don't bill one and pull back because of the pricing. If you have an E5 license, you get everything.

Customers don't worry about the prices too much, because what they're a little bit worried about is the complete capability of Microsoft Defender for Endpoint in the endpoint security space when compared to other legacy solutions such as McAfee Endpoint Security and Symantec End-User Endpoint Security that are quite mature enough in this market, as seen on Gartner. Sometimes the customer is reluctant to move to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, but not because of its price. I didn't have customers who questioned the pricing for the solution.

I'm currently working with all these solutions: McAfee Endpoint Security, Symantec End-User Endpoint Security, and Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, because I'm a consultant. I'm not a customer. I do use it, and the organization I'm in uses it, but I'm a consultant to the customer. I do pre-sales and look into any of the technical aspects of Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.

In terms of comparing Symantec End-User Endpoint Security with Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, they both work, but in different ways and they have different approaches. Microsoft Defender for Endpoint doesn't have HIPS, while Symantec End-User Endpoint Security has HIPS. Microsoft Defender for Endpoint has ASR rules which are compulsory, but there are some activities that Microsoft Defender for Endpoint can't do in an environment, particularly if it is an air-gapped network. In an air-gapped network, which is very secure, my team can't open the internet, and Microsoft Defender for Endpoint fails in that, despite being an EDR solution, because it's cloud-based and it doesn't work there. Microsoft still doesn't have any solution for mitigating the air-gapped network.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people looking into implementing Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is to do it very fast because the tool is changing very rapidly, so if you are a novice and you are just learning, what you learn might get changed in the next quarter. Some of the functionality might get changed, so you need to keep up with the changes, and you need to learn quickly and implement Microsoft Defender for Endpoint fast.

My rating for Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is seven out of ten.

Thiago Lima Soneti Da Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
Service Success Manager at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Integration with Security Center and the Microsoft compliance score helps us improve security maturity
  • "The integration of Defender, Security Center, and the Microsoft compliance score, is the feature we use most to share the results with our clients and to create a roadmap together."
  • "I would like to see integrations with other products, such as Spunk and other CM solutions. That would create possibilities for me, and for a SOC, to consolidate all events in an older console, not one provided by Microsoft but provided by a third party, and use it to create more insights."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is for financial groups and we use it to control malware, as well as for antivirus. Our focus is on using it as an endpoint solution, but we cover the older servers too.

How has it helped my organization?

Of course, we integrate Defender with Microsoft Defender Security Center and the Microsoft compliance score. We use these tools to check the maturity and to guide our clients in using the solution better. The result is that we see growth in security maturity.

When we need to create a new server, we follow certain steps. One step is activating the extension from within the server and using that to check and monitor, in a centralized console, the health of the server. Defender also provides additional information about vulnerabilities and opportunities to increase the overall security.

For example, it will tell us if a library being used has any vulnerabilities. This information is very important for us and for our clients. They use this information to go back to their developers and request fixes. Or it may identify a problem with something in a client's application, where they need another version to mitigate it. And again, when they apply the new version, we can check it using Defender to see if the vulnerability has been resolved.

What is most valuable?

The anti-malware feature is mandatory for us.

Also, we use policies to mitigate vulnerabilities, but the final compliance score from Microsoft shows us what level the client is at and what level is needed to achieve better results and increase security policy maturity. The integration of Defender, Security Center, and the Microsoft compliance score, is the feature we use most to share the results with our clients and to create a roadmap together.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integrations with other products, such as Spunk and other CM solutions. That would create possibilities for me, and for a SOC, to consolidate all events in an older console, not one provided by Microsoft but provided by a third party, and use it to create more insights. Examples of such insights might be the need to create a new policy or the need to mitigate an attack happening now. This type of ability would create a new business case, one that doesn't only use Microsoft solutions.

I've been using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for two years.

The scalability is amazing. Using Azure, the sky is the limit. You just need to understand the business case.

In some cases our clients have small environments, but in other cases they have big environments. Large clients may have 1,000 agents running. But as a consulting company, we work with many types of businesses and many environments of different sizes.

As I mentioned, if the client requests an integration with some third-party tool, we may need to use another tool or develop something to make this possible. But in most cases, you don't need to do so. You just activate it and check if your policy will apply or has already been applied to the server.

We have no problems with Microsoft's technical support. My team resolves level-one and level-two problems, but when we need to check something directly with Microsoft, when it's a level-three issue, we open a ticket and talk with the engineers.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It's so easy. All activity is in the cloud, for deploying the agents and policies. It's not complex.

You just click, one-two-three, and it's working. In some cases, the deployment takes minutes. If the client needs a particular window or has a critical application running on their machine, it takes more time because of that machine's situation. But in general, it just takes a few minutes.

The harder part, following this, is you need time, like with other tools, to check the events. The tool will provide some insights, but you need to understand them, and after that, share them with the client or with those responsible for taking action.

In addition to Azure, we have partnerships with AWS and Google. We focus on security and use Kaspersky as well. It's all according to the business case. We take the time to understand the business case and then build a draft solution, check it with the client, and after that, we choose the best tool, given the budget available from the client. We create one, two, or three options and the client selects what is best for them.

The main difference between Defender and Kaspersky is the scalability and the installation and deployment process which, with Defender, is so easy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice regarding Defender is the same for any other security solution: Check what you need, what types of logs and whether you will consolidate these logs in another tool. What type of knowledge will you bring from those tools to create and apply new policies and anticipate security problems?

Always check your needs with the business case. Aligning them will help determine what you need to buy. Check inside Defender to see what you need to activate. Every new feature you activate inside the cloud is billed and you need to understand if you really need each feature.

Defender has some effect on the endpoint itself but it does not change the user's work processes. It is a single tool on the endpoint to monitor the activities that happen there, but it does not affect the end-user.

But you need to understand the limitations. There are some limitations with Defender when it comes to non-Microsoft solutions. But that's not unique to Defender. It's the same with every tool. You need to understand its limitations.

Microsoft Azure
Assistant Chief Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Advanced threat protection fulfills a large number of security strategy requirements for our organization
  • "We found that because the endpoint devices are based on Microsoft Windows devices and Windows Defender is integrated with the foundation and the core layer, it makes it more integrated and more agile in terms of responding to any security threats or changes or development"
  • "In terms of the architecture of the management infrastructure, we found that other technologies are more simple. Microsoft Defender could be simpler too."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint with advanced threat production. Microsoft's enterprise mobility and security suite fulfills a large number of security strategy requirements for our organization. We are going to use this solution for identity production and for endpoint security.

It's a hybrid setup. The advanced threat protection only comes from the cloud intelligence engine. That's something of a new experience for us, but the rest of the components will be on-prem. We are using Microsoft's cloud.

The whole suite of security enhancement doesn't just include Microsoft Defender. It also covers many of the features that come with the Windows Enterprise version. With this option, we are actually upgrading to the Enterprise version as well and unlocking those security features which are not available in Windows Professional. Microsoft Defender is a whole suite, which is simply not comparable with a usual anti-virus, anti-malware product.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the architecture of the management infrastructure, we found that other technologies are more simple. Microsoft Defender could be simpler too. Plus, Microsoft's philosophy is that they leverage the technology they have already built in Windows or any other services within Windows. So, it is good from that standpoint, but it also becomes a bit cumbersome when it comes to the dependency. Having dependency on many things can be a weakness sometimes because you add up more points of failure to the services. Whereas the other vendors are doing the limited thing, and that's why they're not comparable in prices, but their solutions basically aren't dependent on Microsoft's other services or anything else. They're more dependent on their agent. With Microsoft, it is not just the agent. It is the operating systems that aren't working well. The technology won't give you the desired output.

So, that's something that Microsoft may need to improve: making services more independent wherever possible. That's something of their philosophy. When they build something on their OS layer, they add on technologies, and then there's something for the ISV. That's their strategy, but we keep arguing with them that they have to compare the dependence as other vendors are doing.

From the Microsoft end, the design working depends on the health of other services and other components of the operating system. Whereas if you compare it with the Symantec technology, just the agent health has to be there. That's the case with McAfee as well. They build up their products on developed agents only.

We did the POC around 18 months ago, and then we consolidated our findings. As per the organization procedure, we proposed to the committee and then got the recommendation to move on with the pilot and decide the future roadmap.

Microsoft Defender is just one part of the advanced risk protection and advanced malware protection functionality that comes with the Microsoft product. It came with a lot of security, advisories, reviews, and consultancy during the last couple of years. There was a stack of 15-20 requirements that we had to fulfill, like mobile device management and identity protection. We found that Windows Defender meets most of our requirements.

We have had good experience with tech support so far.

We have a direct support agreement with Microsoft. One of the major reasons for moving from the current endpoint security is the support. The quality is not up to the mark. That's something incomparable with the kind of support Microsoft provides.

I would give Microsoft's support a 5 out of 5.

In terms of the technical aspect, I'm the lead of the area, which actually takes care of endpoint management, and we have been using Symantec products for that purpose. We have evaluated Microsoft Defender and Microsoft security products, and we are going to switch over to that product. We found that  because the endpoint devices are based on Microsoft Windows devices and Windows Defender is integrated with the foundation and the core layer, it makes it more integrated and more agile in terms of responding to any security threats or changes or development, whereas compared to the other vendors who develop anything on top of that platform, they're always lagging behind.

Symantec support is very pathetic. They are very methodical. They're very slow. We seldom find them providing solutions to any incident or issue in a reasonable time. It can take from days to weeks. In the case of Microsoft, their resolution time is reasonably faster than Symantec. Even in the case of VMware and Redhead, Microsoft stands on top of all those vendors.

I wouldn't say the setup is easier than other solutions but it's not bad. It's almost equivalent to what we have been using currently, but the strength comes in what it does and how it secures that part. The setup is similar to the other competitors. For Symantec, we use their endpoint manager deployment and then a deployment across the sites and branches.

We are doing deployment with Microsoft's tech support. But for the implementations and rollout of technologies, we have seldom used Microsoft. We have our own technical team who are trained and who keep on updating on their skills, and we continue to inject new resources to the team as well. When a new technology comes in, then we do a combo, whereby the in-house team actually learns with the local authorized partner.

Microsoft Defender is not comparable to a single endpoint security product, like Trend Micro, Symantec, or McAfee. Because of that, the price is higher than others because it is doing more than what the others are doing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Assistant Manager IT at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good performance, reliable, and offers effective ransomware protection
  • "The most valuable feature is ransomware protection, which can detect malicious activity from IPs or a malicious payload in DLLs, or other things that can corrupt the system."
  • "The file scanning has room for improvement. Many people use macros within their files, so there should be a mechanism that helps us to scan them for malicious payloads."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Defender Antivirus to scan for malicious payloads that may come in files, emails, a USB drive, or another type of external drive. It helps us to identify any malicious load that could compromise the security of any of our systems.

We are in a decentralized environment. We have multiple offices but they are not connected physically. The offices are directly managed from the internet.

We have a mixed environment with Linux and Windows machines.

We operate in the educational sector.

How has it helped my organization?

We have not fully considered how this product affects our overall security posture, although this is because we have not yet explored all of the features. Once we have all of our offices connected, it is something that we will be looking into. At this point, it does not affect all of our machines. On a scale from one to five, I would rate our security posture a four.

What is most valuable?

The performance is good. Usually, end-users complain that whenever background or real-time scanning is done, the effects are felt as there is a slowdown in the system. This is not the case with Microsoft Defender.

What needs improvement?

If there is a Word file then it is able to scan it, but if there is a malicious payload within its signature then it will not be detected. Deep packet scanning must be used to improve the overall product.

We have been using Microsoft Defender Antivirus since we upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.

This is a stable product. We have been using the standard version for a long time and it hasn't negatively affected our environment. Generally speaking, it is reliable.

Microsoft is actively working on this product and I think that it is becoming more scalable, day by day. For example, prior to Windows 10, there was no ransomware support. Now, it comes with Windows 20S2 and Windows 20H1.

With our decentralized environment, I don't know the exact number of users or devices that we have. However, I can say that there are more than 500 devices being protected by this solution.

Most of the machines in our environment are in areas that don't have internet access. This is because they are stationed in remote areas of the country. This means that we need to use USB drives to update the machines manually. Given the number of devices and that the management is done manually at this time, it is pretty painful for our IT people.

We have not purchased support for this product, although, for most products, we usually do have it. To this point, it hasn't been required.

When we were running older operating systems including Windows XP and Windows Vista, we had a Symantec Endpoint solution. We had that for a long time but we opted out. After that, we used McAfee and other antivirus products. However, since Windows 10 was released, and with Microsoft Defender included by default, we felt that it was the solution for us.

As I recall, we stopped using McAfee and Symantec once we moved to Windows 8.

This product came pre-installed with Windows 10 on the machines that we procured from the vendor. It is straightforward and easy to configure, as well. Once Windows is installed, setting up the antivirus and scheduling scans just involves clicking the Next button several times. It is pretty easy for anyone and if the user is non-technical, we guide them through the process.

It takes a maximum of 10 to 15 minutes to install and configure on a PC. Whenever a new configuration is required, you need to configure it on each individual machine that you have. This is why we are investigating a centralization solution. It will help us out in applying things on a global level. For example, we can apply settings based on what is in Active Directory or other policies.

One person, in-house, is all that is required to set it up.

There is not much maintenance required, as our environment is pretty standard. Also, all of the updates come from the Microsoft update center and they are automatically installed on the machines.

It is difficult to determine ROI at this point. Once all of our PCs are joined together, we will have a better idea.

As we operate in the educational sector, we are eligible for an educational discount.

We are currently looking into other solutions that will give us centralized control over Microsoft Defender. However, we are still strictly in the research phase.

Once we decide on a product and a solution is proposed, it is a long process that involves budgetary considerations. Once a PoC is completed, the budget constraints are considered, and this is part of a very long chain of processes that take place before final adoption.

What other advice do I have?

Since we started using this product, we have not had any breaches. When we were using the products by McAfee and Symantec, there were issues with viruses and malicious payloads. Now, it is better because we haven't had any major issues with the systems.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to let the IT staff manage it, and not allow end-users to configure it or modify their own settings.

Devanand PR - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Support Executive at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
No need to purchase an additional solution because it comes bundled with Windows 10
  • "It is already integrated with Windows 10, so you don't need to worry about that."
  • "It is using a large space in your memory all the time. While an antivirus will use some of your memory, if they could reduce the load of the antivirus to some extent that would be good."

What is our primary use case?

It is an antivirus. It is like any other antivirus, except it comes with Windows and you don't need to install anything extra.

How has it helped my organization?

People will ask you, "My system does not have an antivirus," because it is so hidden and subtle. You don't feel like you have an antivirus. Many users will wonder and come to you, saying, "I don't have an antivirus installed. Is that company policy? Do we need to get it from outside and install it?" So, we have to tell them, "No, there is an antivirus. It is there."

It is so seamless that people don't even feel or see it. It is just protecting everybody. If you are some kind of techie or have some experience with Windows Operating System, only then do you know that this thing is already built-in. If you go into the Task Manager, you can find the antivirus using up a lot of memory and a bit of CPU power, then you will understand that is the antivirus doing this. Normally, many people don't realize this.

What is most valuable?

It is a basic firewall with some additional anti-exploit measures and parental controls already built in.

What needs improvement?

We started using it when they started bundling it with Windows 10, which has been around three or four years.

It is very stable.

You do not need to worry about maintenance. It is automatically updated. Sometimes it will show you a red marker to do a system scan. People normally kind of ignore that, but I suggest people do a system scan from time to time. Now, what happens is just a bubble icon showing a red cross sign, but that may not be enough. It should give a pop-up window to remind people to scan the system once a month or quarter. It should be built-in scanning, without asking anybody, once per month or quarter.

It is scalable.

There is no need to get an additional solution because it comes bundled with Windows.

We are protecting around 60 to 70 endpoints in India. In the entire company, there may be around 400 to 500.

We have used other antiviruses, like McAfee and Avira Antivirus.

The same thing can be viewed as a pro and a con:

Pro: It is more than silent; you do not even realize that it is an antivirus. Any other antivirus third-party will nag you with pop ups for any small threats. They want to show that they are doing something because you pay them money. They are funny, colorful pop-ups, whatever color they use is like an advertisement for them, e.g., "They are doing it wrong, and we pointed it out." Windows Defender does not do that. In a way, this is good for the people who know the threat sender. They do not really need to be nagged by the antivirus every time you open a site or click on a file.

Con: For normal people who do not know anything about the security side, some pop ups should be there. Some pop-ups call people's attention that you are doing it the wrong way. For example, "This is potentially wrong. Don't visit this site. Don't potentially open this link, file, or attachment." This is missing in Windows Defender.

It has a good return on investment, especially since we are used to paying for antivirus. Now, it is part of the Windows purchase.

You don't need to worry about the renewal and purchase of antivirus products. It is bundled with Windows 10, so you don't need to worry about separately purchasing any antiviruses.

Whenever you purchase an antivirus, there are so many factors to consider, such as, weighing, doing a comparison, studying everything, and analyzing the cost-benefit factors. You don't need to consider any of this with Windows Defender because it all comes with it. So, you don't need to worry about it.

With Windows Defender, Microsoft is protecting their own operating system from hackers, viruses, malware, etc. It is better to use Windows Defender over other third-party providers. Microsoft knows what best is for the solutions.

What other advice do I have?

If your computers or users are limited and you are not worried about using your computers for a lot of other browsing purposes or a lot of communication from the public, then you can depend on Microsoft Defender as your only solution. However, when your company is a lot more public facing, then you get a lot of mail from the public and must interact with the public. Also, if you must connect your computer to other computers not in your company, then I would suggest going for either a top-of-the line antivirus solution or third-party solutions. Totally depending on Microsoft Defender is not going to work for a company who is facing a lot of public interactions with their computer system.

I would rate it as an eight out of 10.

Security Architect at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable with great threat detection and good stability
  • "It's not really visible for the user - which is a benefit."
  • "The initial setup can be a bit complex."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used to protect the endpoint. Also, there's an antivirus and then advanced threat protection. It's also detecting threats and sending that to the cloud and correlating that without the events from other parts of the EMS suites. That's primarily what we are using it for. It is also capable of doing some attack surface reduction that you can configure on the endpoint. It's basic protection plus surveillance. It's also an EDR, however, we are not using that.

How has it helped my organization?

It's always very difficult to measure, however, it integrates very well with the other Microsoft products. It's easy to handle them. That's an important point when you want to achieve a higher security level that it's easy to manage. You can be sure that it's up to date and it's managed and the alarms are taking care of and so on. It's not only the technical capabilities, that are important. How it plays together with the rest of your products is also key.

What is most valuable?

It's not really visible for the user - which is a benefit.

We know it's pretty good in terms of detecting threats against our platform and attacks. We have seen that.

There's privileged escalation or lateral movements for attacks.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

The dashboards could be better. There's a suite of different products that play together and enhance security and receive signals from different parts of the product suites. When you are trying to look into that sort of depth on a dashboard, or across various dashboards, it can be difficult to obtain a comprehensive overview as it's so divided.

The initial setup can be a bit complex.

Beyond that, I'm not involved in the day-to-day operation. There may be others that can offer more insights.

We started using it when we started to migrate to Windows 10 and that was likely four years ago. However, that was the Microsoft basic version. Recently, we also enabled the ATP path.

It's my understanding that the solution is very stable. It's a pretty mature solution.

In terms of scalability, we have not encountered any issues. We have around 7,000 end points.

We don't have too many physical people dealing with the solution. We have some people in operations and then some architects and so on, however, they are not involved on a day-to-day basis.

The initial setup is somewhat complex, however, that's not only due to the product. It's also the environment that it is going to be implemented into. Also, when you have a company with a lot of legacy products and all the setups and so on there may be difficulties in terms of getting everything to work together.

The deployment can take up to a couple of months, however, it's dependant on the environment that it needs to be implemented into. For instance, if other kinds of agents are writing on the computer, you need to make sure that it is not consuming too much CPU capacity and so on. If you have a good system, it would be very quick to install.

We have a deployment plan and we have taken advice from Microsoft Learning from their onboarding Planning information. There isn't anything that is very special, as, when you roll out new software on an endpoint, you must make sure that it's not disturbing the day-to-day operation. You start with a small group of test users and then do it in bigger and bigger waves and always be ready to go back. It's good to have that preparedness so that you can roll back and you can investigate what's gone wrong and so on, however that's not special to a different endpoint. That's a normal deployment strategy.

It has been possible to reduce the use of other agents. Beyond that, we have not made any financial calculations in relation to ROI. We have been using McAfee, for example, among others, and it's been possible to scale down. Microsoft is more integrated, more comprehensive, and Defender is part of the Microsoft operating system.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

This Microsoft security platform is very much a SAS platform. It's playing together with all the other security products from Microsoft and the company is using the Azure platform to collect the information and to work on the main refine security findings. It's working very well together with the Microsoft Cloud solution for security.

It's my understanding that they call it the security graph. It's quite important that they are communicating together. Windows Defender, ATP is delivering a lot of telemetry to that form and correlating it with telemetries.

The reason why we have implemented DHCP part is due to the fact that we bought a Microsoft E5 license with a lot of security enhancements.

I've only seen it in the implementation and design phase, however, it's pretty good. That said, it's also within the environment of a large company where the processes can be a bit difficult.

I'd advise users to integrate it into their security operations center so that they can have the full benefit of the product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022