Micro Focus Silk Central OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Test Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Micro Focus Silk Central?
Silk Central is an open test management solution which unifies all test assets into one easy-to-use planning, tracking, reporting and execution hub. Silk Central enables you to gain control, collaboration and traceability across all areas of your software testing, whether your methodology is Agile, Traditional or hybrid. Silk Central provides integration of requirements, manual and automated tests, defect tools and your test execution, giving full traceability of the quality of your software testing regardless of role.

Micro Focus Silk Central was previously known as Borland Silk Central, Silk Central.

Micro Focus Silk Central Customers
AmBank Group, Krung Thai Computer Services, Deakin University
Micro Focus Silk Central Video

Archived Micro Focus Silk Central Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user685080 - PeerSpot reviewer
Test Governance at Poste Italiane
A powerful platform and strong technical support help us to make the right decisions
  • "The stability of this solution is very good. In our experience it is approximately ninety-nine percent."
  • "We would also like to manage the integration testing end-to-end."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for running tests and reporting the results of those tests. We have a lot of customized tests, and download more than twenty thousand reports per year.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution adds value because we are able to get the right information at the right time, which helps us to make the right decisions. We have more than one hundred and sixty users each day, and we manage more than one hundred projects. This results in a large volume of data that we can collect in real time.

This enables us to determine the status and risk of critical items, and supply this information to management. From there, each point is considered and decisions are made with respect to how to proceed in production. For example, testing may be halted or restarted depending on results contained within the reports. It adds real value for project management.

Before using this tool, we had many different Excel templates and used email to keep track of defects. This was very chaotic. The impact of adopting this product was very large.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is the ability to customize it. Our company has many different needs, and creating a standard requires direct access to the database. It is very strong in this sense, with good performance.

What needs improvement?

We are primarily interested in improving the flexibility to customize parts of the tool. At this point, we feel that the customization is bad. For example, we would like to be able to automatize internal projects. We would like like to see the visibility improved, and want to perform certain tests faster.

We would also like to manage the integration testing end-to-end. This is very important to us.

In terms of usability and the interface, a few small improvements can lead to a lot of benefits. The interface is good but can be improved.

The section on managing requirements for testing has to be improved. This is an old feature that has not been updated at the same rate as the rest of the tool.

Test Management Tools
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SmartBear, Microsoft and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: November 2022.
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

More than five years.

The stability of this solution is very good. In our experience it is approximately ninety-nine percent. Also, in terms of performance for the user, it is absolutely good with no problems.

We currently have a lot of licenses for this product. We manage many projects every month that results in a large volume of data.

The technical support is a very strong point for this tool. We have local support, here in Italy, and we speak directly to the project manager and the project owner. These calls happen monthly, and sometimes weekly.

We have an open channel with Micro Focus to discuss the features and improvements that we would like to see in new versions of the software.

Overall, it is very good support.

Originally, we did not use an automated tool. The process involved recording data in Excel worksheets and the reports were typed up in Microsoft Word.

When we made the transition to automated testing, we started with the Compuware testing tool. This was a predecessor to Silk Central, as it was acquired by Micro Focus and combined with other tools that were integrated into the current product. This resulted in a lot of benefits for us through additional functionality in the platform.

The installation and setup is not easy. You need to identify how the tool can be best used for your needs, and to share the best practices with all of the users. We hired the vendor, Micro Focus, to help us with the setup and configuration.

During our implementation we hired Micro Focus to assist us. They were very good, and helped us to set the tool up so that we could make the best use of it. We started with six months of support, initially.

The cost of this tool, in terms of licensing, is not large. Access to the technical support provides for good value because you enjoy the benefits of a company supporting you.

When it comes to selecting a vendor, the number one requirement is that they be able to provide the right support that we need to address our problem. The best vendor is able to best handle the needs of the market. We found this in Compuware.

We did not evaluate products other than Compuware, and this was eventually incorporated into Silk Central.

We did consider using the IBM Jazz Suite because we were using it for LAN application management. However, we felt that it was too complex and the learning curve was too great. There was no comparison in terms of usability. Therefore, we did not select it to use for automated testing.

What other advice do I have?

I certainly recommend the use of this solution. You can start using it quickly, and we have found that the software is easy to learn. The tool offers many ways to get the same information, so in the beginning some users are unsure. However, for the basic user, such as a tester, it is very simple and direct.

We know that there are open source tools in the market that offer the same level of functionality, but open source means that you need to invest more in support. The community is good, but in our experience it is not the same as a good vendor.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
Cagin Uludamar - PeerSpot reviewer
Application Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
With the ease of use it provides, our teams have a smooth learning curve in test automation

What is most valuable?

• GUI: HTML-based and no installation is required.
  • Keyword driven testing: It lets our testers with no technical background easily create and maintain automated tests.
  • Issue management: It lets us forward product defects with logs, screenshots and videos easily.
  • Lab management: It is easy to configure automated test execution servers

How has it helped my organization?

We are in the process of wide spreading test automation skills to the teams of our organization. With the ease of use that Silk Central provides, our teams have a smooth learning curve in test automation.

What needs improvement?

From a test automation perspective, the main feature missing is the ability to schedule executions with only failed tests.

I have used it for two years.

Latest version (18) once had a problem with automated test execution. Our issue is still open, but it has not recurred.

Yes, but it has been solved with the latest version. The user management page was extremely slow, but this has been fixed now.

They respond very quickly and are very good in terms of product, technical info, and communication skills.

Yes, but in my previous companies.

I was not here at that time.

I was not here at that time.

Test Management Tools
November 2022
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Test Automation Lead at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Several features could use improvement although Defect Management is useful

What is most valuable?

Issues and Defect Management.

What needs improvement?

• Reporting
  • Execution planning
  • Requirement
  • Dashboard

12 months.

None.

None.

Good.

I have used HPE Quality Center, HPE ALM, JIRA, and Rally. They are much better tools than Silk. When I move clients, I have to use the tool they currently use, so I just learn them all.

I am not sure, I didn’t set it up. It was set up in 1999 and I was not a part of my current organization.

I have heard it is not an expensive tool. However, I am not the one who bought it.

Not applicable to me.

What other advice do I have?

Check for other tools in market. There are other better options available in market.

it_user685080 - PeerSpot reviewer
Test Governance at Poste Italiane
We have many possibilities to customize the utilization and we can also work easily at database level for custom reporting and to manage additional information and integration.

What is most valuable?

We manage more than 400 users and 120,000 test cases / year in our Test and Defect Management solution based on Silk Central, in an enterprise multi-company environment (postal, banking, insurance, telco, mobile, government, business), so for us the most valuable feature is flexibility.

With Silk Central we have many possibilities for customizing the utilization and we can also work easily at database level for custom reporting and to manage additional information and integration.

In addition we have great support from Micro Focus and real collaboration to drive future direction and new features.

The other valuable feature is the easy to use and immediate onboarding of manual testers and general users and test managers.

How has it helped my organization?

1) Directional reporting based on baseline (daily target of tests passed, set by test manager) with custom view of test results and defect resolution speed. Very good support for decision making.

2) Release management, cross projects, and directional reporting based on custom attributes set to any execution plans to join any current test activities (test, run, and defect) for platform/application, release (year/month) and test level (system-functional/system-integration/uat). Provides drill-down to single projects. This allows us to identify critical projects with impact on others and general release, at an early stage where you can drive decisions to reduce risks.

What needs improvement?

Better management of mandatory fields.

Some minor usability issues.

Eight years.

No showstopper issues.

Very good.

You have to send one or two replies before they get a full understanding of the request/issue. Then the level of support is very good and fast.

Tested different solutions, for flexibility, integration capabilities and fast/easy use.

Silk Central is ready to use in less than two hours for basic operation, from initial installation on server to first test run by tester.

In less than 30 minutes you can create a new project, create or import a test list from Excel, set up user permissions, create integration to internal or external defect management, setup email notifications for defect status change, create an execution plan, run a manual set, and produce standard reporting.

In-house.

Good value for price

HP, IBM.

What other advice do I have?

If you are an enterprise site that needs a real customizable test and defect management solution, one that is easy to use and with a good level of out-of-the-box functionality and integration options, Silk Central is a good choice.

Also if you are not an "enterprise" operation, take in to consideration the fast startup to implement it.

Add mid-level expertise of SQL or ORACLE procedures to your support team and you can satisfy any management requests.

it_user347520 - PeerSpot reviewer
Quality Engineering at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've seen improvements to our organization in terms of the configurability and the stability of our product. With this solution, for example, configurability is no longer a risk factor for SCTM bugs.

What is most valuable?

Of all of the features of this solution, I use execution planning the most. It helps with the automation of our tests and deployment to servers.

I also enjoy the solid integration flow starting from the requirements phase through design, validation, and report generation.

How has it helped my organization?

I first used it more than two years ago, and to this day I still rely on its quality and stability.

We had no issues with deploying the solution itself, and any issues we had were mostly related to our machines.

We had no issues with the stability of the solution itself, and any issues we had were mostly related to our machines.

We had no issues with the scalability of the solution itself, and any issues we had were mostly related to our machines.

I enjoy the quick response of costumer service for our technical issues.

I didn't use anything previously to this.

I wasn't involved in the installation, so I can't comment on whether it was straightforward or complex.

We didn't look at other options.

What other advice do I have?

Every Waterfall and Agile project should be using Silk Central. Automated and manual tests are easy to deploy and to update. Writing and reading test specifications are clearer and faster.

it_user365193 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Tester at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We have automated 5000 test cases and reduced lot of manual effort. It will be great if we get something which works well on bad network and takes less memory to execute the commands.

What is most valuable?

Desktop & Browser support

How has it helped my organization?

We have automated 5000 test cases and reduced lot of manual effort which resulted in cost cutting of the project.

What needs improvement?

Product does not respond well on virtual machines because of network and memory issues. It will be great if we get something which works well on bad network and takes less memory to execute the commands.

I've used it for four years.

There were issues, but a micro focus team resolved them and gave them solutions.

4/5

4/5

We worked with Selenium but as Silk Central supports Desktop applications as well so we chose this.

Set-up is straightforward.

We did it through a vendor.

Our client purchased the licenses themselves.

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the best product if you have to handle desktop & browser application to complete a flow.

it_user344925 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
I can have a macro-view of all my tests, but the portal could be cleaner and faster.​

What is most valuable?

All the reports are very important for me, as is the integration with Caliber.

How has it helped my organization?

With SilkCentral, I can have a macro-view of all my tests. I can also have detailed reports about all projects.

What needs improvement?

I think that the portal could be cleaner and faster.

I've used it for about three years.

No issues encountered.

It's very important. I don't have a problem with support.

No previous solution was used.

I believe it was complex, but I wasn't involved.

I recommend doing it in-house, as it's both safer and simpler.

No other options were looked at.

What other advice do I have?

Install it and be happy.

Test Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We moved to this product for trial purpose as its licenses ended up being quite cheap compared to ALM. However, adding the test cases and assigning them to particular testers can be improved.

What is most valuable?

It's really hard to say what the most valuable features are with this solution.

What needs improvement?

Adding the test cases and assigning them to particular testers can be improved.

The testers who wrote the test cases and added it to the plan were the only ones able to see and execute it. Others, who weren't this involved, couldn't.

And we weren't able to find the import function of test cases from Excel.

I've used it for one month as a trial.

We previously used HP Quality Center, now ALM, before but moved to this product for trial purpose as the licenses of Silk Central ended up being quite cheap compared to ALM.

The setup was already done before we started using it.

It was implemented through a vendor.

I'm unsure of the exact price but was definitely cheaper than ALM.

What other advice do I have?

It would certainly be worth the cost, but you need to be committed to using it long term. Only then would you actually know the real features of the product and how they can be helpful.

it_user334818 - PeerSpot reviewer
Staff Engineer - Automation engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We can trigger a build on Jenkins and come back to see the test results, but I've no idea how to completely remove an unused test case.

What is most valuable?

• Test case creation
  • Test cases "Details View"
  • "Execution Planning"

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us to manage the test cases efficiently, and it also supports integration with Jenkins. We can trigger a build on Jenkins and come back to see the test results on Silk Central.

What needs improvement?

So far so good. Although, I once met an issue where I created a test case, and deleted it immediately. However, it seems that this test case still exists in the database, and that this test case is still being included in our execution runs, I've no idea how to completely removed this unused test case.

I've used it for 10 months. I've only used a small part of the product - test case creation, and test case implement step.

I've never spoken to them.

I've never spoken to them.

This is my first solution like this.

I didn't setup it, but according to my colleague, it should be straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

As far as I know, Silk Central is widely used in many IT companies in Taiwan.

Download our free Test Management Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SmartBear, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: November 2022