Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) is #11 ranked solution in top Project Portfolio Management tools. PeerSpot users give Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) is most commonly compared to ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management: Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) vs ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management. Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Project Portfolio Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM)?
HPE Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) provides critical information in real time to help you make the right investment decisions. It standardizes, manages, and captures the execution of project and operational activities as well as resources.

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) was previously known as HPE Project and Portfolio Management, HPE PPM.

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Customers
Bank Simpanan Nasional, Smart Communications, Aareon AG
Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Video

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) pricing:
"We have an annual license, and it is fairly priced in comparison to that of other solutions."

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Reviews

PPM SaaS Application Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
Gives management a cohesive place for tracking business strategies and goals, but cosmetic aspects need work
  • "I like the ease of customization from an admin perspective. I'm really excited about some of the things that are coming in version 10.0.3 as far as what admins are able to do."
  • "We had a couple of issues with stability or performance degradation about a year ago, around the time of the initial rollout. Since then, we've only had two unexpected outages that were quickly resolved."

What is our primary use case?

As an administrator in our organization, I use it for provisioning, configuring different request types, workflows, and making adjustments therein; things on the higher-end side.

As an organization, we use it for project management and defect tracking.

We also use it for time tracking. That's one of the reasons we rolled it out to the cloud. We are also starting to get into program and portfolio management, which are things we hadn't done in the past.

How has it helped my organization?

The first advantage is that it helped us get away from using spreadsheets for time sheets. Also, many of our request processes that used to be paper-based have now been automated. We're also able to automate notifications to users to take away a lot of the busy work that teams were having to do to communicate with each other. And it has definitely helped our cross-team coordination and the handoffs that we have within our processes. It has also assisted with bottlenecking.

In addition, we have an integration with our help desk that allows tickets to be processed on the front end and in PPM in a much easier way than they would be on the help desk side and it allows notifications and SOAP messages to go back and forth between the applications. As a result, it has really streamlined our defect tracking process, and we're really hoping to see the same as we roll out into the future with the program and portfolio management aspects that are new to us.

On top of that, at a high level, it enables us to translate strategic plans into actionable investment strategies. We have our KPIs and business strategies in PPM and that's the way that management moves forward with our portfolios and programs. They are only willing to move forward with projects that line up with our strategic plans. The solution has definitely helped us flush that out. It gives us a place where everybody can see those things and be aware of what our business strategies are. Within our projects, we're able to see the strategies and end goals that are important to the organization. We can actually track which business objectives different projects are adhering to. That's a really cool feature that our management likes.

It gives me one place where I can do pretty much everything. If there is a project or portfolio, or even a request that I'm working on, I have the ability to charge time to each of them in PPM, instead of going through different systems. Even though we have the ability to integrate with Microsoft Project, I really like that PPM offers a one-stop-shop for everything. It saves a lot of time because I'm not going between different places or using paper forms to get information to management.

With PPM allowing us to streamline processes, get them all in one place, and automate handovers and notifications, it saves us between 15 and 20 hours a week on things that we would have otherwise had to do ourselves in emails and other types of coordination. It's made our processes a lot faster.

What is most valuable?

I like the ease of customization from an admin perspective. I'm really excited about some of the things that are coming in version 10.0.3 as far as what admins are able to do.

I also really like how the program portfolio and project management roll up into each other. That's going to be a really good feature for our organization because we have a lot of things that are related, and it's nice to have things under one umbrella where we can go back to them.

I also like the fact that it's not very difficult to integrate with other applications, as long as you have the right people with the right skill sets on board. I have seen us integrate with a couple of other cloud solutions and that was done fairly quickly. It's the ease of use and the ability to customize PPM that really work in our favor.

Another useful aspect is that the solution gives us a single place where teams can track and measure progress towards their goals. That it is very important from an upper management perspective. Part of the reason that they're using the application is to have a cohesive place for tracking business strategies and organizational goals, and to only implement projects that line up with them.

What needs improvement?

We have been asking for some enhancements in the domain management module. There are things that we have to ask about, whether they're even possible to implement, but they're more cosmetic, look-and-feel issues, rather than functionality.

Project Portfolio Management
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Broadcom, Microsoft and others in Project Portfolio Management. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) since 2007. We upgraded it over time but, in 2020, we finally migrated to the cloud.

We had a couple of issues with stability or performance degradation about a year ago, around the time of the initial rollout. Since then, we've only had two unexpected outages that were quickly resolved.

Stability-wise, it's okay. When we were on-premises, we were just on Windows boxes and every month we would have some sort of performance degradation and we would need to clear the cache and restart the app servers, et cetera. We haven't had to do that as often. We're at least 75 percent more stable than we were before.

It's very scalable. That's one of the things that I like about it. You can change it and move around and make it work for you.

We have over 2,500 users.

I expect our usage will increase. Right now, it's being used by all of our IT department. Our usage has already increased from when we initially rolled it out. Prior to us moving to the cloud solution, it was used by about half of our organization that was focused on our eligibility systems. Then we opened it up to our IT business areas to use for time tracking and now it has been rolled out to the entire IT department. As we keep growing and continue to use the tool, we'll find more uses for it and that will definitely increase the number of users.

They have really good technical support. There hasn't been a question that I've asked or posted to our technical support team that hasn't been answered or addressed in some way.

They're doing a really good job with the application overall. It can't be too rigid to the point that you can't make it work for your organization. But they also have to be able to control the changes that go into it. The vendor has been prioritizing deployment of enhancement requests that have been voted on, and the speed at which they have released them has been gotten a lot faster. It fits how fast we need to move and how fast we actually need to make changes.

They're doing a really good job of innovating and updating features in PPM. That process used to be a little slower, but now it seems that when an enhancement request is prioritized or a hotfix is needed, they're right on it. We're getting fixes fairly fast, before the month is over.

Positive

We've always used PPM. We've used different versions and seen it grow up.

We were migrating from an on-premise solution to the cloud so we already had our own instance, obviously. It was a little complex because we already had integrations that needed to remain with us and business processors that would suffer if they had any real downtime. So while it was complex, at the same time, it was very much coordinated by the vendor that we're working with. It was a smoother process than I've seen with other integrations.

We started with training and user stories in April of 2020 and the initial rollout, including an upgrade, was completed around November 1st, 2020. We then had three more phases in the project. We initially rolled out resource management. Then we deployed project management, financial management, and finally program management. Now, we're working on custom reports. By the time we're completely done with the implementation, it will be November of 2022.

We also have an upgrade coming up in September. We deploy upgrades or updates to objects in the tool. We don't use deployment manager though, we just use the built-in deployment package methodology.

It's private, so it has to go through our DMZ. We have a private cloud, but we share data space on the Micro Focus side and we're partitioned off from anyone else.

We're working with Carahsoft as well as the Micro Focus professional services and SaaS teams.

They're very good at what they do. However, with the size of the project and the pace at which we were moving, it would have been better if, perhaps, there were better knowledge transfer and more focus on making sure that we understood all of the ins and outs, as opposed to just rolling forward and meeting timelines.

There were little things that should have been completed by the vendor, things that we only found after the fact when we were already on another phase of the project. With a project this large, it's easy to lose track of small details.

Other than that, it hasn't been a bad experience. There have been some hiccups along the way, but that's to be expected.

The jury is still out on whether it will help accelerate our delivery. We're still rolling it out. Having used it earlier on, I believe it will, but I'd really like to see the overall impact once this project is firmly nestled into the ground and we're no longer under the vendor's launching period.

Upper management looked at other solutions before they went ahead with PPM. Prior to using PPM, we had users who were using Salesforce and PMRS and a couple of other applications, but we consolidated all of those solutions and users into PPM.

What other advice do I have?

I've had several other groups come to me about using PPM and the ability to customize it and make it work for them could make it a great solution, depending on what their processes are. I normally push them towards it, if they're looking to automate and get away from any kind of paper-based processes, or to get them out of using multiple systems.

PPM is a great tool, but it's like exercise or eating: You get out of it what you put into it. There's a fine level of detail that you could put into it that can make the solution really work for you. If you're not going to apply that, you're not going to get the most viable solution. PPM is one of those tools where more is better, in the beginning, to allow you to do less once you have everything implemented.

Islam Bayraktar - PeerSpot reviewer
PPM Services Director at OPTIIM
Provides a good balance of flexibility and functionality; very powerful
  • "Has a powerful workflow engine that allows creation of workflow complexities and processes."
  • "The solution can sometimes be a little inflexible and a bit caustic."

What is our primary use case?

We generally provide PPM services for our customers, and we use PPM solely for our in-house development. Most of the time we implement and provide services and consulting on Micro Focus PPM.

The majority of the cases are Demand Management and Project Management implementation. Often the main challenges are demand consolidation, prioritization and categorization, as well as visibility on project delivery, manageability within the time and budget, transparency and end-to-end integrity on delivery. Recently value-based delivery became an upcoming trend that points to challenges with the shift from Project to Product Management (Agilization), Lean Portfolio Management and What-if Analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

That is not applicable to us. But in terms of customer experience, the usual value of the implementation of MF PPM can be described as follows: one of the main successes is to help the company standardize procedures across business units/geographic spread branches and set up end-to-end lifecycle processes, consolidate all demands, improve visibility, transparency, and control of portfolios of investments and projects, optimize the use of resources, and focus on the investments aligned with their strategic goals.

What is most valuable?

There are two key areas where the features are valuable; the implementation perspective and end-user functionality. PPM really has a powerful workflow and form engine that allows us to create workflow complexities and processes. There's a good balance between flexibility and best practice and it generally allows us to implement any kind of requirements a customer might have. It's a good balance of flexibility and functionality for configuration. It's a really powerful tool. I saw the other tools bending, compared to them it's really good.

UI is user-friendly, it is quite simple and intuitive. It ships with a balanced content of the dashboards and the reporting features. There's a good interaction between modules, that allows organizations to have a full e2e cycle starting from the idea/proposals in the demand management, transform and execute in project management and track and manage grouping into programs and portfolios with out-of-the-box roll up and roll down features and data transparency. Approach management is really very powerful. It has also integrated with Microsoft Project and supports the hybrid projects with ready-to-use out-of-box agents that integrate with the agile tools like ALM Octane, Jira, CA Rally and etc.

I like the new release approach on the Micro Focus side that turned into a rapid quarterly basis with transparency for the end-users and the ability to impact the content of the future patches and versions.

What needs improvement?

There's also room for improvement in other areas such as configuration which is a little old from an implementation perspective. There could also be improvements in API which is rarely used but we do use them in some cases. From a user's perspective, it's becoming more necessary in that agile transformation. More of our customers are now looking to have everything in one place and I guess Micro Focus could make some improvements in that area as well as improvements in communication and corroboration functionality in the tool.

On the strategic and portfolio functionality can be a bit more balanced and improved interactions with the other modules.

I've been using this solution for 13 years.

The solution is very stable, it fully supports HA and has wide HW/SW platform options. Performance on a very good level.

It is also scalable and has good guidelines and recommendations for hardware sizing.

Technical support could be improved. Support is a competitive issue in the market with this tool, at least for medium sized customers.

Positive

The initial setup is straightforward, but it's important to keep in mind that this is an ePMO solution, so it should take some time to deploy. It is based on the maturity level, current challenges, the readiness of the organization, business requirements, professional services, etc. It can be deployed as a fully complete solution or incrementally that can be a good approach to start getting values at the early stages. Complete solution in common case deployment may take around 10+ weeks, incremental deployment can happen in 3-4+ weeks cycles. Any specific case may increase or decrease the duration of the deployment.

In terms of cost, I think this solution is competitive with others in the market. I like that it has a transparent price without hidden extras like some other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that in the first year of implementation try to keep it simple and keep close to best practices. One of the main mistakes companies have made in the past is to replace the industrial-based best practices with their own technics and this doesn't always work. So, they end up migrating problems and issues, that may be part of their internal culture, to the new platform. I would advise soft adoption and incrementally distributing the use of the tool across the company.

Every solution can be improved so I would rate this product an 8 out of 10.

Project Portfolio Management
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Attila Mozes - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at provalida GmbH
Has a strong workflow engine and good functionality with lots of modules
  • "Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) has a very strong workflow engine."
  • "The user interface is very, very old and is missing some functions, such as, for example, re-do, follow, and share functions. The UI is not good."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for project and portfolio planning, and for resource management.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps our organization to plan our resources exactly and to support the billing process as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is resource planning or resource management.

The functionality is really good with a lot of modules, and there's almost nothing missing.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is very, very old and is missing some functions, such as, for example, re-do, follow, and share functions. The UI is not good.

I would like to see different databases supported. There's only one database available at the moment, and it is very expensive. I would like better database support.

On the functional side of the product, I would like to see an enhanced and improved project management module with HR components in it.

I've been using this solution for 21 years.

It's a very stable solution with almost no downtime.

It's very easy to build up and is very straightforward.

We have 30 users in our company.

I would rate technical support services at five on a scale from one to ten.

Neutral

The initial setup is straightforward.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

Use it out of the box in the beginning, and don't change it too much or make it too complex.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) at eight.

Download our free Project Portfolio Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Broadcom, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: September 2022