IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

McAfee Web Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Web Gateway is #14 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. PeerSpot users give McAfee Web Gateway an average rating of 10 out of 10. McAfee Web Gateway is most commonly compared to Cisco Umbrella: McAfee Web Gateway vs Cisco Umbrella. McAfee Web Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is McAfee Web Gateway?

Organizations can do more over the web today than ever before. Today’s web offers a
dynamic, real-time user experience. However, the web has also become a more dangerous
place, with increasingly sophisticated attacks released every day. McAfee® Web Gateway
is a critical defense for any organization to protect against emerging malware threats. It
empowers organizations with secure internet access while greatly reducing risk through an
advanced security approach that combines powerful, local intent analysis with cloud-based
protection powered by McAfee Labs.

McAfee Web Gateway Customers

Prodeb, Vidant Health, WEG Industries

McAfee Web Gateway Video

Archived McAfee Web Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

Vice President - Risk Management, Chief Information Security Officer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Powerful user activity monitoring that includes SSL decryption
  • "The initial setup is fairly straightforward and easy to perform."
  • "The cloud needs improvement with respect to DLP."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect us against online threats, as well as for user activity monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SSL decryption.

What needs improvement?

The cloud capability needs to be improved in terms of scalability. More generally, both scalability and performance on the cloud need to be improved. The cloud needs improvement with respect to DLP. We would like to have integration with Shadow IT analytics.

I have been working with the McAfee Web Gateway for five years.
Secure Web Gateways (SWG)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Fortinet, Cisco and others in Secure Web Gateways (SWG). Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a stable solution. It is constantly running across the entire enterprise.

Scalability on the cloud is something that needs improvement. Our company has about 50,000 employees.

McAfee's technical support is fairly good.

Prior to McAfee, we were using Blue Coat. Two of the important things that Blue Coat was lacking are the SSL description capability and the in-line antivirus. I'm not sure if they have the capability now, but that is the reason that we switched to McAfee.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward and easy to perform.

Our in-house team implemented this solution. The architectural design and implementation were completed with the support and assistance of the McAfee team.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to use a hybrid model, rather than just something for a specific use case. Otherwise, you won't have a full 360-degree view. Integration with Active Directory is critical, as is the log integration with your SIEM solution. These are key factors that you need to consider. If I were rating the on-premises and cloud-based features separately, I would give it a nine out of ten on-premises and a seven out of ten for the cloud. Overall, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Report and find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Fortinet, Cisco, and more!
Updated: June 2022
Product Categories
Secure Web Gateways (SWG)