Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is #5 ranked solution in top Data Loss Prevention (DLP) tools. PeerSpot users give McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is most commonly compared to Microsoft BitLocker: McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention vs Microsoft BitLocker. McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.
McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention?
McAfee Total Protection for Data solution suite protects your data using a combination of powerful encryption, access control, and user-behavior monitoring.

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention was previously known as McAfee Total Protection for Data, McAfee Total Protection for DLP, Total Protection for Data, Intel Security Total Protection for Data.

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Customers
Kleberg Bank
McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Video

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention pricing:
  • "If the client purchases the entire suite of McAfee Endpoint, the license is included."
  • "The price of McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is expensive. It is not the most expensive solution but it is typically 15 to 20 percent higher than other solutions. There is no additional cost to using McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention."
  • "It's not a cheap option."
  • "I'm paying the license for McAfee Total Protection yearly. It could be cheaper, but it's fine."
  • McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Reviews

Management Executive at a security firm with 11-50 employees
    Good compliance management but the support is lacking and the effectiveness needs to be improved
    • "You can manage your compliance in line with legislation such as GDPR and POPIA."
    • "Our client is not very happy with the lack of support, the skills, and the effectiveness of the tool."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting house for various clients. We provide consultancy to our clients in terms of which product they should use based on their requirements and environment.

Our clients use this solution for DLP. They are using it for the basis of endpoint protection, prevention of malware infection, detection, and management of the endpoint.

The client has not fully utilized the DLP because they have not done the data classification well enough to actually get the full value of the DLP solution.

What is most valuable?

If a DLP is implemented correctly, the value is that you can address the human error issues. You can manage your compliance in line with legislation such as GDPR and POPIA.

The value proposition is great if it is implemented correctly.

What needs improvement?

If you do not have a team that is supporting your DLP implementation, there may be a challenge, which is a concern.

The support in South Africa should have more knowledgeable and professional McAfee resources.

Our client is not very happy with the lack of support, the skills, and the effectiveness of the tool.

Our client has been using McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention for three years.

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It works and is stable if it is implemented correctly.

It is a scalable solution. We have two customers who are using it and one who will be moving onto another solution. They are considering Cynet or CrowStrike.

The support in South Africa could be much better.

I was the chief information security officer at one of the largest banks in Africa. I have used all of the products including McAfee DLP, McAfee Endpoint, and Forcepoint DLP as well.

I wasn't involved in the implementation for this client in particular.

My experience with McAfee from a vendor perspective is if you have the right skills, it can be deployed quite easily. The only challenge is it uses a lot of hardware.

The time it takes for deployment depends on the variety of clients. Some clients have 1,000 users, so it's quite easy.

The actual deployment before rollout to all of your users is not long. It takes approximately two weeks.

The number of people required to maintain this solution depends on the scale of the project, the customer itself, and the number of users. There is a lot of awareness that needs to go into DLP and Endpoint DLP to train the user.

We utilized specialists to implement it for us because we are not a vendor.

We are vendor agnostic. We advise our clients, and then we get professional people like McAfee Professional Service to install it. We wouldn't get involved in it.

We use integrators.

If the client purchases the entire suite of McAfee Endpoint, the license is included.

We evaluated Cynet and CrowdStrike in comparison to McAfee. Our client wants to find an alternative to McAfee Endpoint Security.

What other advice do I have?

We are purely consultants. We do not get involved primarily with the implementation.

What we do is advise clients. For example, we are doing a lot of work for Coca-Cola and we advise them on how to configure.

It doesn't matter whether you're using Defender, or whether you are using MCAS as a cloud solution, we help you configure according to the standard that is applicable, whether it's a legislative standard or an internal policy.

We ensure that the necessary implementation and configuration settings are aligned. Then we give it back to the technical integrators to implement according to the standard that we have set. That is the level of involvement we have. We don't do the implementation, but we advise on how the implementation should be done in line with the internal policy or the legislation.

I would not recommend this solution to others. I think there are better products available at the moment.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Meleria Mangaring - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems Engineer at Trends and Technologies, Inc
    Reseller
    Straightforward to configure and affordable but needs better partial matching
    • "The pricing of the product is excellent. It's very affordable."
    • "In my experience, it's not really user-friendly for me, in terms of how I navigate with the ePolicy Orchestrator. They need to upgrade their management console."

What is most valuable?

The beauty of McAfee Data Loss Prevention is, for one, it's in a single management product for all other McAfee solutions. It's also a single-agent platform. That's one really unique aspect of Data Loss Prevention.

The configuration of McAfee is also pretty straightforward.

On the data loss prevention side, it's pretty straightforward. It's capable of doing the basic tasks such as basic data loss prevention capabilities that any DLP can do.

With respect to its capability of being able to block, being able to provide responses and justification, and the management of the DLP in itself, it is pretty straightforward.

One thing that I like about McAfee is the Tamper Protection and the help desk feature. Symantec also has that, however, the help desk feature from McAfee is more user-friendly but also it's more strict and more secure, as compared to the one in Symantec.

The pricing of the product is excellent. It's very affordable.

What needs improvement?

In my experience, it's not really user-friendly for me, in terms of how I navigate with the ePolicy Orchestrator. They need to upgrade their management console.

You can't navigate McAfee without going through all of the administration and product guides. You have to read everything first before you navigate it. That's how it was for me, at least, in my experience. However, in my colleague's case, that didn't happen and I don't know why I can't just navigate the McAfee management console without reading first the administrator or product guide. What's really tedious about reading those things is that the documents are separate. The product guide and the administrator guide for the DLP solution are quite different from the administrator guide and product guide of the ePolicy Orchestrator.

They need to improve more with partial matching and exact data matching. The partial matching and the exact data matching are features of Symantec. There, it's pretty sophisticated. If McAfee wants to catch up with that, they have to upgrade their partial matching capabilities.

We also had a client who wanted to have at least three, two to three, set of conditions on a single policy or on a single rule, to have that kind of combination. For example, a combination of a serial number from a device, from a removable device, plus a user and a computer or the hosting or the workstation. That's three combinations. User, computer, and removable device. What they wanted is to have the three pieces of that combination in a single rule, however, we were not able to do that as McAfee conditional statements are only limited to two. That's something that they need also to improve. They need to make it more flexible.

I've used McAfee for three years at this point. It's been a while.

McAfee offers very good technical support and we have been very happy with its capabilities. We find support to be helpful and responsive.

I also work with Symantec. It's a bit more expensive, and I find McAfee offers a few better, more advanced features.

This is one of the least expensive solutions on the market right now. It's even less expensive than Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of the solution at this time.

The clients I work with are mostly enterprise-level businesses.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. For the most part, I have been pleased with its capabilities, however, there are some improvements that could be made.

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention
    September 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Information Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Easy to manage with good monitoring and an excellent interface
    • "The interface showcases threat incidents very well."
    • "Technical support doesn't really offer fast response times."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in the banking sector. Banks would like to prevent any customer information or confidential documents from leaking outside their environment. We use the solution on the email channels basically. We also use it sometimes on USBs, and other tools also.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to manage.

Overall, it's an easy to use product. It has a great end-user experience. The solution is quite powerful.

It offers good monitoring of your endpoints and provides excellent reporting.

The interface showcases threat incidents very well.

What needs improvement?

We've had issues with the Lower and Upper filter of the device control module.

Technical support doesn't really offer fast response times.

They could continue to refine their defense on signature attacks.

We've been using the solution for a while. I have about two years of experience personally.

While it is largely stable, I have experienced issues with browsers, especially when we export and import the DLP policy. After importing the DLP policy, we weren't able to get a classification and definitions of the data loss prevention from Microsoft Edge or other browsers. They hung when we tried to access the classifications and definition page.

This doesn't really count as a stability issue. It's more of an availability or usability issue.

We have about 2,000 users in one environment. In another environment, we may have as many as 3,000 users. The solution scales pretty well.

While we typically implement this solution for our customers, I would say that we would like to increase usage.

When we've had issues in the past, and, although they ended up solving our problem, we found the response time was pretty slow. There was a bit of a delay. They could have been faster to respond. Other than that, we're pretty satisfied with their level of service.

I haven't experienced a lot of users, however, so far, McAfee has been excellent.

Generally, the solution is pretty straightforward to setup. It's not complex. That said, there is a common issue with an installation video. It's something about TLS support, TLS version 1.1. There's a command you should execute, however, there is a conflict of KBs. We had to do a bit of research and we were able to troubleshoot it ourselves in the end.

Ultimately, deployment takes about two to three hours. It doesn't take too long.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of any integrators or consultants. I also didn't need the help of technical support.

Although I don't have too much information on the exact costs of the solution, it's my understanding that the pricing is pretty good.

What other advice do I have?

We're systems integrators. We aren't McAfee customers.

I would recommend this solution to other companies. It's stable and strong in data loss prevention. It works quite well.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a nine. If it offered more responsive support and better usability, It would get higher marks from me.

Jagdish Lomte - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder & CEO at StreaMplify
    Reseller
    Highly beneficial DLP functionality, full system protection, and useful file scanning
    • "The most valuable features of McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention are the DLP. The DLP, data loss prevention is the most important feature right now that users are looking for."
    • "The support from McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is good. However, if they provided 24 hours a day seven days a week support that would be a helpful addition."

What is our primary use case?

I am using McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention for personal endpoint protection security on my computer. The solution worked well in the previous company I used to work for.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention are the DLP. The DLP, data loss prevention is the most important feature right now that users are looking for.

When the user login into their system, this solution gives them full protection. The protection includes AD logins or other types of logins. If the user is downloading from the internet or any website it is all protected properly. There are alerts generated, and then it is returned if it is safe to go ahead. The files that are downloaded are scanned and will indicate if they are safe. The user is given a high level of confidence, which is a very good feature of the solution.

What needs improvement?

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention there is always improvement to be made on features. Other companies are coming out with their DLP solutions, such as Microsoft and ClowdStrike which will give McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention competition to move forward.

I have been using McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention for approximately three years.

One of my clients has approximately 150 users using McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention.

The support from McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is good. However, if they provided 24 hours a day seven days a week support that would be a helpful addition.

I have used other similar solutions prior to using McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention, such as Symantec and the others are not as good.

We moved from Symantec to McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention because of support. The service level and support level are better.

The initial setup of McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention requires some support and good knowledge.

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention requires approximately two technical people to do the deployment and maintenance.

I have seen a return on investment from using McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention.

The price of McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is expensive. It is not the most expensive solution but it is typically 15 to 20 percent higher than other solutions. There is no additional cost to using McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is a good solution, it is expensive but if you look for a less expensive solution they are not ideal for the long term. MacAfee has a good roadmap ahead and they have added more features and have good support. I recommend this solution to others.

I rate McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner and reseller
    Assistant Manager Technical Support at Syscon
    Enables customization of file types and customization for different scenarios
    • "Enables customization of file types and for different scenarios."
    • "The UI needs to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case of this DLP solution is for endpoint protection of data breaching. Systems have to be protected both internally and externally. Our company offers multiple solutions for endpoint security, network security, data loss prevention and firewalls. We are a service provider and a partner of McAfee. Here in Pakistan, very few companies take data loss prevention seriously. We work with the financial sector and they all need that level of security. I'm an assistant manager of technical support.

What is most valuable?

Of course the data loss prevention is the most valuable feature. The solution also enables us to customize in that space and that's why I prefer this product. We can add different file types, and different scenarios or implement McAfee DLP on-site for our customers. The solution fulfills the vast majority of our customers' needs. This is a sharp and intuitive solution.

What needs improvement?

For our new engineers, it is difficult to understand the McAfee DLP interface, or configure it in the deployment scenario. The UI needs to be simplified.

I've been using this solution for six years.

McAfee DLP is very stable. I've compared it with other solutions and it's a very mature and comprehensive solution.

The solution is scalable.

The initial setup is quite complex. Each scenario is different depending on our customers. We have multiple teams providing multiple services. I have three engineers who work with McAfee and we also provide support.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to any organization is to support appropriate security levels because following Covid many people have moved to online work and that needs supporting on a security level. Companies should be working in a zero-trust environment.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Shrikant Pillay - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Management Consultant at Tata Consultancy
    Easy to set up, issue free, and does what I need it to do
    • "The solution is stable."
    • "The solution takes up too much CPU and memory."

What is our primary use case?

We've used the solution mostly for antivirus and malware protection only. There's some scanning of emails, phishing websites, and then also scanning my pen drive or hard drive or external hard drives.

What is most valuable?

It's good in that it does what it is intended to do.

The solution is stable.

The solution is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

The solution takes up too much CPU and memory.

I've used the solution for a few years. It's been about six or seven years.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I'm not sure about the scalability. I only use it for personal devices and have never attempted to expand it.

I'm using the solution myself. No one else uses it.

I've never had an issue with McAfee. I've never had to reach out to technical support.

I'm also familiar with Kaspersky and Norton Security Premium.

I previously used an open-source solution, however, that was six or seven years ago.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple. it's not overly complex or difficult.

The deployment only takes five to ten minutes. It's pretty fast.

You can do the deployment yourself. It doesn't require any help per se.

I pay a yearly licensing fee which is about $1000 in my local currency. There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others. I'm happy with its capabilities. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Amir Jafari - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Manager at Middle East Bank
    Allows us to control users to prevent information from leaving the company
    • "The most valuable feature right now is the user control."
    • "Integration with other vendors could be improved. For example, with Chrome or Firefox."

What is our primary use case?

The main feature we are using it for is to control users so they don't exit information from the company. For example, we control the USB and the website so that people don't try to steal information.

The solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature right now is the user control.

What needs improvement?

Integration with other vendors could be improved. For example, with Chrome or Firefox. If they have updates, we will have some problems with DLP. The browser updates are causing breakdowns.

It's very stable. It's more stable than Symantec.

It's scalable. We have about 500 users, and we don't have any problem with that. I think for a bigger scale, it works very well.

I have also used Symantec.

The main difference is the price. Symantec is more expensive than McAfee. McAfee is more user friendly than Symantec. Also, you can receive updates from McAfee more conveniently than with Symantec. It takes time for Symantec to integrate with other vendors, but McAfee is usually fast.

Also, when your license with Symantec is finished, all of your features will be disabled. For example, after one year, if your license is expired, your DLP will not work, but McAfee is not like that. You have all the features, but you cannot receive updates.

Initial setup is very easy. I would rate it 4 out of 5.

We use a team of two people for maintenance.

It's not a cheap option.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

Sr. IT Business Analyst at Citigroup
    Doesn't require any specific knowledge to set up
    • "What I like about McAfee Total Protection is that it's working. I also like that it doesn't require any specific knowledge to set up."
    • "The licensing cost for McAfee Total Protection could be cheaper, but apart from that, I don't need anything else. The software has what I need."

What is our primary use case?

McAfee Total Protection is for my private use. It protects my computer at home from viruses.

What is most valuable?

What I like about McAfee Total Protection is that it's working. I also like that it doesn't require any specific knowledge to set up.

What needs improvement?

The licensing cost for McAfee Total Protection could be cheaper, but apart from that, I don't need anything else. The software has what I need.

I've been using McAfee Total Protection for a year.

McAfee Total Protection is stable enough. I don't have any negative experience in terms of its stability.

I only use McAfee Total Protection at home, so I am unable to comment on its scalability.

I didn't need to contact technical support for McAfee Total Protection.

I used Norton for several years until 2019, and then I switched to McAfee Total Protection. I switched because of the plan and pricing option offered by McAfee Total Protection.

The initial setup for McAfee Total Protection was straightforward. I set it up myself as it was for home use, but if it's the enterprise version, you would probably need a consultant or an integrator to implement the software.

I'm paying the license for McAfee Total Protection yearly. It could be cheaper, but it's fine.

I evaluated Norton.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend McAfee Total Protection to others who may want to start using it because it's a good product.

I'm rating McAfee Total Protection eight out of ten.

Download our free McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022
    Product Categories
    Data Loss Prevention (DLP)