IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers is #5 ranked solution in top Rack Servers. PeerSpot users give Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers an average rating of 8 out of 10. Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers is most commonly compared to Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers: Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers vs Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers. Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 32% of all views.
Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers?

From growing small businesses to enterprise workloads, Lenovo rack servers offer the unmatched value, flexibility and industry-leading efficiency to meet mission-critical demands with legendary quality and reliability.

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers was previously known as SR Series, Lenovo SR Series, ThinkSystem Rack Servers, IBM Rack Servers, ThinkSystem SR Series, Lenovo Rack Servers, .

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Customers

immixGroup, Komsomolskaya Pravda, SRG Global, Seekr, Infiniti Red Bull Racing, jKool, Tennis Australia, VEKA, Netpoints, Gamma Powersports

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Video

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers pricing:
  • "Your budget determines the scalability."
  • "The licensing cost is the same as HP. It doesn't have any additional cost. However, the price, for example, for the memory option, does not match other vendors such as HP or Dell. They should work on the pricing of Lenovo. It is a great competitor, and it should compete with the price."
  • "The cost of the solution depends entirely on the client. There are not any additional costs other than the standard licensing fee."
  • "It costs around $8,000. There is an additional cost for the support for a year."
  • "It is too expensive. Because we are a university and we have to look for our money, many times we buy some refurbished machines or equipment at reasonable prices from IBM or Lenovo. We are a little bit limited in terms of money, and we buy as much as we can. If they were cheaper, we would buy more."
  • Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Reviews

Oleksandr Meleshchuk - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides the power and versatility needed to tackle demanding workloads
    • "I would say the stability of the system itself would be the biggest advantage."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for virtualization purposes. We are running a huge amount of different VM's on them.

How has it helped my organization?

The usage of the server itself, the hardware specs of the specific models is more than enough for the project or projects' needs. The controllers which were used, or the hardware (HDDs or solid drives from Lenovo, which are used in this hardware) are more than enough for our project needs. Overall, the general configuration of the server, the system, truly covers the project needs. Most of our projects come with a pretty heavy workload. The server itself covers all of the bases — my clients are really happy with it. For example, one of the projects is from a medical laboratory company that provides services for medical institutions. There are a lot of workload calculations and Rack Servers covers the mix.

What is most valuable?

HP and Dell servers have multi-house technology that is really easy to use. We don't experience any problems with logging or gathering hardware information. The rest of the technical and software stuff is absolutely the same no matter the manufacturer. So, from a technical perspective, it is the same. The general purpose of this hardware is the same, the functionality is the same, it just goes by a different name. As I mentioned, the stability of the server itself is a benefit for me; it's more reliable now.

What needs improvement?

From my perspective, from my case usage, I wouldn't say that I have seen a lot of space for a general upgrade of the system. The technology is constantly developing. It's just a matter of the client or customer getting the most high-end service for a long period of time — for example, one or two years. In three years, this technology will be old and there will be new technology available. Presently, I wouldn't say that there is space for much improvement on the current servers. Technology is developing continuously. We are getting new high-end drives and so on. Technology development does not simply stop in its tracks, waiting until you adopt that server right now — in three to five years, it will be obsolete. You will be still able to buy some hardware in order to upgrade it because the platform itself is universal, but it's up to you whether you buy something old or something new and upgrade it.
      Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers
      June 2022
      Learn what your peers think about Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
      608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for more than six years.

I would say the stability of the system itself would be the biggest advantage. I have worked with other manufacturers — Firmware for example — and they are not so stable.

Your budget determines the scalability. It's absolutely scalable and you can upgrade the platform with the hardware you are planning to use.

I have used their support from time to time, in some cases when I was unable to find immediate information. I don't remember if I contacted them directly or just used their website to gather information. There are a lot of cases where you can just find everything you need on their website. I would give their technical support a rating of nine.

From an administrative perspective, the initial setup is absolutely straightforward. From a user's perspective, it not so straightforward if you want to add some features. The old servers don't have the stability needed to manage the storage from the remote management tool; it's not really comfortable, but still usable. It's absolutely fine when setting up the server. The basic setup takes less than one hour. It depends on where the servers are deployed from and how ready the server is. I mostly work remotely, so I am not hands-on with the server. Deployment is just a matter of the network and how it was prepared previously. At minimum, deployment takes one hour.

Whether we use a deployment plan depends on the customer and their needs. The person who will be deploying the server should get the basic information on the needs of the project first, and compare it to the hardware specifications that this specific hardware or any specific hardware will provide. If there is a level for any upgrade, it's absolutely fine. The person should be looking for a solution that will cover the needs of the project with more than a difference of 100% for the future. The projects will increase the size of it, so the server should cover the current needs of the projects, plus 100%.

Our customers absolutely see a return on their investment with Lenovo Rack Servers. The price in comparison, for example, to deploying a cloud solution on a cloud platform, is fully coverable in terms of deploying the same solution on personal hardware. So yes, it's coverable.

I don't really remember the prices for the servers but in comparison with the bigger players on the market, their prices are fine with me. They are not ideal because clients will always want a lower price. Regarding the licensing, I don't have any information on that because I wasn't facing any cases where we needed additional licensing on the servers.

What other advice do I have?

The general usage of the hardware itself is a level of education that you get during the process of the initial setup and further maintenance of the servers. That alone is very valuable.  Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. I cannot give it a higher rating because the perfect solution does not exist.

Farrokh Farrokh - PeerSpot reviewer
      CEO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
      Reseller
      It is easy to set up and has a single dashboard for upgrading different views and devices
      • "The IMM tool is great because we can upgrade different views and device versions very quickly. We can upgrade everything from a single point through a single dashboard, which is great for us because we also have Lenovo storage. Lenovo ThinkSystem also has Xclarity built into the system."
      • "HP has a riser inside, but Lenovo does not have a riser. It would be good to have a riser with Lenovo. The GUI of the system is really bad. HP has a very good UI for smart memories and everything inside, but in Lenovo, we have a black-and-white UI. HP right now manufactures a server with scalable SP1 and SP2 on a single machine, which is not the case with Lenovo. They are changing the machine. For SP 1, there is one server, and for SP2, there is another server, which is really bad. In HP, we can use two models of processors in a single case. Lenovo should also be improved to have SP1 and SP2 scalable processors simultaneously on a single machine. They should not release another machine. This issue is also there in H3650 severs. They are all inside, but only V3 CPU or only v4 CPU can work, whereas, in HBG9, we can deploy V3 and V4 simultaneously. Lenovo also needs to advertise more because I can't see advertisements anywhere."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution without any errors on the main boards or other systems. We are also using the storage of Lenovo, that is, V7000. We have 30 VM machines on the servers here, and we are using SP1 scalable processors.

We are buying all the things to use from Lenovo. Everything comes from Lenovo, that is, hard drives, racks, memory, and processors.

What is most valuable?

The IMM tool is great because we can upgrade different views and device versions very quickly. We can upgrade everything from a single point through a single dashboard, which is great for us because we also have Lenovo storage. Lenovo ThinkSystem also has Xclarity built into the system.

What needs improvement?

HP has a riser inside, but Lenovo does not have a riser. It would be good to have a riser with Lenovo. The GUI of the system is really bad. HP has a very good UI for smart memories and everything inside, but in Lenovo, we have a black-and-white UI.

HP right now manufactures a server with scalable SP1 and SP2 on a single machine, which is not the case with Lenovo. They are changing the machine. For SP 1, there is one server, and for SP2, there is another server, which is really bad. In HP, we can use two models of processors in a single case. Lenovo should also be improved to have SP1 and SP2 scalable processors simultaneously on a single machine. They should not release another machine. This issue is also there in H3650 severs. They are all inside, but only V3 CPU or only v4 CPU can work, whereas, in HBG9, we can deploy V3 and V4 simultaneously.

Lenovo also needs to advertise more because I can't see advertisements anywhere.

I have been using this solution for more than four years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We are deploying the servers for our customers. One of our customers has about 100 people working in the factory.

I got support for a license issue, where I made a mistake in typing the serial number because of which it wasn't matching. Their support was really great. They edited my serial number, and I could get the IMM license very quickly.

It is not complex. It is easy for us. The deployment took less than a week because we know what we should do. In four or five days, we had deployed it into the server. HP is easier to deploy than Lenovo.

The licensing cost is the same as HP. It doesn't have any additional cost. However, the price, for example, for the memory option, does not match other vendors such as HP or Dell. They should work on the pricing of Lenovo. It is a great competitor, and it should compete with the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers a nine out of ten.

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers
      June 2022
      608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
      Markus Waldmann - PeerSpot reviewer
      Lecturer at HSLU
      Stable, easy to install, and has good technical support
      • "The solution is very simple to install."
      • "From our side, our budgets are really not there. The availability of cash is a little bit limited. We buy as much as we can, If it was less expensive, we could buy more."

What is our primary use case?

It's a large virtualization environment where our students and our researchers have all the machines running and it's realized with VMware.

What is most valuable?

We appreciate the stability of all the machines.

The easy mountings are convenient.

We have some direct connections to IBM and Lenovo, as well as other companies. They offer us very good manufacturer support. Technical support has been very good and we've been satisfied with the level of service we get.

The solution is very simple to install.

What needs improvement?

There are so many features, it's difficult to even use them all. Therefore, I don't believe there are any features that are lacking.

I deal with this solution about once a year.

The solution is stable. It's very reliable. There aren't glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale quite easily. If you need to expand it, you can do so rather easily.

We have about 1,000 people on the servers that we have. They are all students and researchers.

We'll continue to use this product going forward.

We've had a good experience with technical support. We have some direct channels there. With Lenovo, we also have a mainframe on our site for demonstration purposes. We are lucky to have a direct connection to the engineers.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward.

Deployment times vary. If students are doing it, it might take a little bit longer, however, if we handle it ourselves, we can do it relatively quickly.

It's difficult to count how many people we have on deployment and maintenance duties as they're all part-time. We have about four to five full-time equivalents.

I am part of the consulting team. The work is done by some assistants or to teach a student as I'm a lecturer at the University.

The cost is a bit pricey. We'd buy more from them if we could, however, we are on a limited budget.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Lenovo.

Normally, we are not using the latest version of the solution due to the fact that they are too expensive. We are a university and we have to look for how much money we use. Therefore, often we end up buying some refurbished machines or some equipment from IBM, from Lenovo, etc., which we get at reasonable prices.

Everything is on-premises and we have our own private cloud with these machines.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a nine.

Jesse_B - PeerSpot reviewer
      Senior Network Specialist at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Easy to set up and has pretty good pricing but requires better local support
      • "The initial setup is easy."
      • "The RAID Management and the RAID Configuration tools need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a network server and file server.

What is most valuable?

The pricing is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The initial setup is easy.

It's possible to scale the product.

What needs improvement?

The RAID Management and the RAID Configuration tools need to be improved. The RAID infrastructure needs some work. The RAID, MegaRAID, and Software RAID don't always hold the configurations. I have had multiple instances where I had to rebuild the server due to the RAID Configuration not holding. The RAID, the MegaRAID infrastructure need to improve.

Local technical support could be better.

The product should have out-of-plan management and be more reliable with controllers while offering better management features for the configuration and drivers.

I've been using the solution for more than three years.

The solution is not stable. The servers tend to not be resilient.

The solution is scalable. You can scale the racks. It's not a problem.

We have about 200 users using the rack server at this time.

We do not plan to increase usage at this time.

Not much technical support is available locally. They need to offer better assistance in our area.

We also use Dell and HP.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not a complex process.

The setup and deployment took maybe an hour or so.

You need two people for deployment and maintenance.

We pay to license on a yearly basis. I have an enterprise license. I just use that license from a non-government perspective.

On top of that, there's the cost of renting any servers. I have to continuously be buying hard drives for it. In terms of the maintenance cost of the servers is high.

We also evaluated HP and Dell.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We don't have a special business relationship with Lenovo.

I'd advise new users that, if they are looking for a more resilient and reliable server to run any critical applications on, I would choose either HP or Dell. They also offer better support and better response time. While HP and Dell servers may cost a little more, you get more value for your money.

In general, I would rate the solution at a five out of ten.

Ravi  Ramananda - PeerSpot reviewer
      Assistant VP, Information Technology at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Stable, and a market leader, but needs to be more competitively priced
      • "They have taken a lot of technology from IBM, and IBM always delivered very powerful hardware to the IT industry compared to Dell EMC or anyone else."
      • "The power consumption needs to be optimized in Lenovo."

What is most valuable?

They have taken over from IBM, which was the market leader. They have taken a lot of technology from IBM, and IBM always delivered very powerful hardware to the IT industry compared to Dell EMC or anyone else. They basically have a bit of an upper hand on the technology compared to any others in the market.

The solution is stable.

Setting up the product initially is simple.

What needs improvement?

The power consumption needs to be optimized in Lenovo. We also used Dell and find that is the case there as well. Though it has been optimized, we find it is still lacking for our conventions.

The solution could lower its costs a bit to make it more competitive with, for example, Dell.

Lenovo needs to modernize its components.

They should be using proprietary products rather than getting third-party products for remote sensing or security deployed on their rack servers.

I've been using the solution for five or six years at this point. It's been a while. We've used it as long as we've used Dell.

We've used the solution for a few years not, and haven't had any issues with the stability. Overall, it is good.

If STI technology is employed, you can scale the solution. Otherwise, it doesn't really scale.

I'm also using Dell EMC PowerEdge rack servers. We use both in our organization.

The power of the hardware is very good on Dell, compared to Lenovo. The features of the hardware, the security features, in particular, are very good in Dell.

The initial setup is easy. We didn't have any issues with the process.

We had no need for outside engineers. We could handle the setup ourselves.

The solution is a bit costly. We find Dell much more reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I definitely suggest potential users skip Lenovo and go for Dell EMC, which has good hardware, and great internal security components.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Michael Alward - PeerSpot reviewer
      Corporate Sales Consultant at Clear Concepts
      MSP
      Strong band reputation, highly stable, and straightforward installation
      • "The most valuable aspect of Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers is the brand name and the service relationship we have with Lenovo."
      • "Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers could improve the availability of their solution. The supply chain is severely broken, we've had to wait many months for component parts to a system time after time. The availability of discs and raid controllers has been difficult lately."

What is our primary use case?

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers can be deployed on-premise and in the cloud.

The use case varies from client to client.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers is the brand name and the service relationship we have with Lenovo.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers for approximately 10 years.

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers' stability is excellent.

We sell Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers to small and medium-sized businesses, whatever configurations we need to put together for the client's needs we are able to deliver.

I have not directly dealt with the support from Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers.

The initial setup of Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers is straightforward.

I rate the initial setup of Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers a four out of five.

Our technicians handle the implementation of the Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers. we typically use one technician for the implementation and we have a team of technicians that are available to provide support.

The cost of the solution depends entirely on the client. There are not any additional costs other than the standard licensing fee.

I rate the price of Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers a four out of five.

I have previously evaluated HP solutions. HP is a comparable solution to Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers.

What other advice do I have?

Lead times to purchase this solution can be much longer than then expected at this time due to logistics delays.

I rate Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
      Aldo Abril - PeerSpot reviewer
      CTO at Caja Paita
      Good integration, good support, and easy to use and scale
      • "It has good integration. You have VMware for connecting many machines, and you can support microservices. You can also easily connect the networks. It is also very easy to use and implement, and it comes with good support."
      • "It should have tools for integration with the cloud. We should be able to transmit data from our on-premises server to the servers in the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for microservices. It is for the main applications and growth of the business.

What is most valuable?

It has good integration. You have VMware for connecting many machines, and you can support microservices. You can also easily connect the networks.

It is also very easy to use and implement, and it comes with good support.

What needs improvement?

It should have tools for integration with the cloud. We should be able to transmit data from our on-premises server to the servers in the cloud.

I have been using this solution for about eight years.

It has good stability.

It is easy to scale. We have around 300 users.

They provide good support. We have a software to communicate with them and get any help that we need.

Before Lenovo, there was an IBM server. We started to use this server because it is easy to use for microservices, and there are many applications.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment took about three months. We had to integrate microservices, and we also had applications.

We deployed it ourselves. In the company, we have more than three people for its deployment and maintenance.

It costs around $8,000. There is an additional cost for the support for a year.

Nutanix and HPE are also good options. Nutanix is a little expensive. HPE has only two servers, but we need three servers.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product. It is very easy to implement, and you can scale it easily. It is useful for us, and we plan to keep using it. When the company grows, we would add more servers.

I would rate Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers an eight out of ten.

Markus Waldmann - PeerSpot reviewer
      Lecturer at HSLU
      Good stability, easy mounting, and good support
      • "We appreciate the stability and easy mountings of all the machines. We have some direct connections with IBM, Lenovo, and other companies, and we get close support from them."
      • "It is quite an expensive product. Its price can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

It is a large VMware virtualization environment on which our students and researchers are running all the machines.

What is most valuable?

We appreciate the stability and easy mountings of all the machines. We have some direct connections with IBM, Lenovo, and other companies, and we get close support from them.

What needs improvement?

It is quite an expensive product. Its price can be improved.

I have been using this solution for a year.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. We have 1,000 users. They are our students and researchers. We plan to keep on using this solution.

We have some direct channels there. We also have a Lenovo mainframe at our site for demonstration purposes, and we have some direct connection with the engineers.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment duration varies because sometimes the students are deploying it, and they take a little longer. Normally, it is quite fast.

I am a part of the consulting team and a lecturer at the University. The implementation is done by some assistants to teach the students. We have four to five full-time people for its deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers a nine out of ten. It is just the price that lowers it to nine.