Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers is the #1 ranked solution in top Rack Servers. PeerSpot users give Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers is most commonly compared to HPE ProLiant DL Servers: Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers vs HPE ProLiant DL Servers. Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 19% of all views.
Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers?

PowerEdge R is available in three models and with the following advantages: Entry level is simple, entry level server ideal for businesses just migrating to server usage, advanced is offering more cache and speed, these servers offer more options for processors, expansion and virtualization, Premium create a dynamic infrastructure with flexible workloads from a complete virtualization platform.

Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers was previously known as PowerEdge R.

Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers Customers

NxtGen Datacenter, Medien-Service Untermain (MSU), Exasol, IndigoVision, Dayco

Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers Video

Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers pricing:
  • "The solution's analytics helped to decrease production downtime by at least 30%."
  • "The main reason I choose Dell there is cost. Dell is cheaper than HPE. Why would I want to pay a premium for an HPE product when I'm getting the same amount of support, the same amount of data protection, and the same amount of performance from Dell?"
  • "You can't have computed performance without using more power. That said, when I consider the power consumption and performance of the MX740c, depending on how much memory you install on each blade, you get the best bang for your buck."
  • "The pricing is very competitive."
  • "PowerEdge is not a cheap product. It's a quality product, but there is always competition. If you want to buy a server, you need an operating system, and most of it is Microsoft. A bundled solution costs less than a separate operating system and hardware."
  • "I have no issues with the pricing and licensing costs. They are fine."
  • "PowerEdge pricing is equivalent to that of all the others in the market."
  • "The product is cheaper than HP servers, but the price could always be better."
  • Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers Reviews

Brian Moreno - PeerSpot reviewer
    Computer Services Manager at Child Parent Centers
    Reliable with great support and good analytics
    • "The most valuable aspects include hot swapping and the elasticity as far as being able to scale."
    • "It's more from the pandemic, however, the logistics part of it could be better."

What is our primary use case?

The setup is hybrid right now. It was formerly strictly on-premise and we used it for our file storage and for our virtual machines.

Originally, it was purchased for strict file storage and access on-prem. However, when COVID hit, we ended up purchasing laptops for every single employee that we had. Having to use our new file storage device, which is no longer on-premises as they're now at home, was easy. That's why we went with a hybrid environment. We put a lot of the data into the cloud and backed it up in the on-premises file storage.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to move some file storage that we had around. It allowed us to really look into what we had and what we were using. Looking at Apex, it is setting us up for when it will need a refresh or when it is at its end of life.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects include hot swapping and the elasticity as far as being able to scale. We had a bunch of stuff on an old, existing EMC. The company was unaware that they had to keep the files that they had for so long. We realized that once we were meeting the seven-year mark and we could start purging some of those files, we had to scale down a little bit.

The initial purchase that we had was a little big, however, as we started adding more users that were working from home and had their own drive, OneDrive, we had to expand it a little bit. Dell was able to ship me bigger hard drives.

When it comes to running the latest high-demand applications, PowerEdge is good. The VMware that we had was almost end-of-life, so we had to upgrade it and Dell helped out with that quite a bit, putting it on our PowerEdge and assisting us with a lot of stuff that VMware didn’t. VMware just said, "Here. Here's your product. Good luck.” Dell was a lot more helpful. They had a lot of engineers that knew about that service that we were trying to tap into a little better.

The BIOS recovery was something we used because we had a huge power outage and a power strike when one of our air conditioners had a bad power surge run through it at our facility. Dell helped us rebuild our actual BIOS system in it, as one of the mirror arrays that we were using just wasn't being seen. We were afraid it was a hardware issue, however, it was really a BIOS issue that we couldn't see right off the jump. We’re glad Dell was there to help.

The solution's analytics helped to decrease production downtime by at least 30%. I'm in Arizona and down in Tucson we don't get that much downtime. We have a lot of battery backups, we have a generator system, and more. However, when it does happen, the analytics of it, as far as the trends on what months the monsoon season hits, it kept all in the logs.

The system management capabilities of PowerEdge helped increase stack productivity. We've had a little bit of turnover in our system admin department, however, having the ability to go back and look through the logs and see how users ended up using their home drive, their shared files, and their encrypted files really helped out my new guys coming on board.

The solution's accelerated GPUs help support demanding workloads in our organization. We had a couple of changing workloads due to the fact that when people shifted from home, they were hitting the server from a different angle. They were coming in off a virtual private network instead of being on-premises and the system didn't blink.

I’m not sure if PowerEdge helped to reduce data processing time in our organization as we don't crunch a lot. We do have a lot of videos coming in and a lot of video editing going on, so in that way, it does help.

The PowerEdge system management frameworks enable us to progress towards full automation. We knew what we were looking for when we refreshed this last model and we purchased a new server just from the analytics we got off the first one.

It helps me forecast better. We don't grow exponentially. Teachers are hard to come by, however, some will leave and some will stay. The business models are the same, yet they expect more. Now they want to do a video. They want to capture and record the videos and the Zoom meetings that they're doing, therefore, it's a little different.

What needs improvement?

It's more from the pandemic, however, the logistics part of it could be better. Getting an actual bare-bones server was a little difficult when we ordered it in beginning. I'm still waiting on the printers that I ordered last year as well. That's the only thing I would really say and I'm sure it has to do with the pandemic.

The latency of it is what we're running into, as our teachers do a lot of video captures, video teaching, Zoom, and Teams video conferencing, and their latency is getting worse with the public domain.

Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution since I've been with the company, probably for the last three years.

The scalability is very good. There were different options that we could have gone to. We could either have gotten smaller hard drives and/or downsized if we needed to. They knew our business model was going to change when the pandemic hit.

We have about 650 end users on this particular solution and 80% of them are teachers. The rest are administrative professionals.

Currently, we are planning to put a new server that we have in the mix online and up and running with the PowerEdge server that we have. Now, with Apex and more coming out, we're looking to possibly pivot.

Technical support is very good. We had to call Dell technical support when our BIOS got corrupted and they were on the spot. They escalated us to tier two within 20 minutes. It was really quick.

Positive

We did previously use a different solution, however, I cannot remember what our large area network's device was.

Dell came in with a very competitive offer with the first model of storage that we got, so that's what my predecessor went to, and we kept it around.

The initial setup was very straightforward. We knew exactly where we wanted to put it in our array and how we wanted to set it up, what the power requirements would be, where it would fit on my battery backup system, and the plan for system recovery in case it had to be gracefully shut down. It was super easy.

When deploying PowerEdge, we didn't get a chance to use the automated server and OS deployment features.

The deployment was scheduled for six hours and it took three.

We actually had to migrate users off of an older version that we had onto the new box that we had. The implementation strategy was all about really getting our users off the box and making sure nobody was trying to access it. After that, it was just migrating users over, setting up the new box, putting it online, and running tests.

For maintenance, normally we use a server admin, myself, and maybe one other developer that helps us with the syslogs on it. There are probably three of us altogether.

We used an integrated reseller for the deployment. They were amazing.

We had an issue with a brownout or a power strike and our BIOS got a bit corrupted, however, it was nothing that couldn't be recovered on the fly.

We've seen an ROI. I don't have any details offhand. I know when we first purchased it, we got a pretty good deal on it and we didn't know if it would actually meet end-of-life due to the usage that we had on it. However, it outperformed our metrics.

I'd advise others to use the pro services that come along with it, that are available for purchase with it. It helped us immensely. If you were to extend the service contract and get the pro level, it costs a bit more.

We did evaluate other options. When it's over a certain dollar amount, we have to go out and get at least four bids.

What other advice do I have?

I can't remember the exact version we have. We just purchased a new Dell SAN.

We do not use PowerEdge for artificial intelligence applications yet. We're looking into it. Right now, a lot of the video data capture that we do is with children, school-aged children, and children in a preschool environment. We were thinking the AI might be able to help us where the teacher might not be looking. If they had a camera in the room to capture the relevant stuff that was going on as far as what the lesson plan was about that day, it might be helpful.

I have not had a chance to use the solution's iDRAC telemetry for monitoring PowerEdge system data and providing analytics, however, we're really looking into that right now. We got the new SAN going in and we'd like to monitor a little better.

We do not use the solution's CloudIQ for predictive analytic capabilities yet.

It is a very stable product. It's something that we use reliably for backups. It's something we use reliably for our main server for a long time and we'd definitely buy another.

My biggest takeaway is it's not as easy going straight to the cloud when you were an on-premises provider. If you are an on-premises provider and you have all your services on-premises, going to the cloud takes a couple of steps. It's not just one big jump.

I'd rate the product nine out of ten. If I could get the same amount of storage that I got three years ago now, I'd rate it ten out of ten. I'd order it as quickly as I did when we ordered it the first time.

Hybrid Cloud
    Director at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Windows Server 2022 is pre-installed making deployment almost turnkey, and cost-to-reliability ratio is impressive
    • "We like the iDRAC card which gives us remote access to the server out of band. That's fantastic because if a box is misbehaving, I'm able to get into the bare metal and repair the operating system without needing to go out to the branch office, which could be anywhere in the UK."
    • "The T150 is a little bit bulky for what it is. I think if they created a T150 version with small form-factor drives, that would be an ideal solution. Currently, it is a tower box and it has quite a big footprint..."

What is our primary use case?

We use the PowerEdge Rack Server T150 in a small business. I look after a chain of dental practices in the UK and these are fantastic boxes for each one of our branch offices. Every practice is going to have one of these T150 servers installed.

The T150 server acts as the main controller, our central authentication server for ensuring security on the network. We also use it for file and print services over SMB, and for bespoke applications for the dental world such as SOE or R4. They run on Windows Server 2022, which came pre-packaged with the T150 server.

How has it helped my organization?

These servers have maintained a level of uptime that is needed by the business and that satisfies the business owners and makes them very happy. It has managed 100 percent uptime and I wouldn't expect any less. That's the reliability of the T150s. The cost-to-reliability ratio is impressive.

What is most valuable?

We like the iDRAC card which gives us remote access to the server out of band. That's fantastic because if a box is misbehaving, I'm able to get into the bare metal and repair the operating system without needing to go out to the branch office, which could be anywhere in the UK. That's one of the features which we really like in the PowerEdge T150 server.

In addition, it's all in one box. It has

• fault tolerance built-in
    • RAID 1 sets
    • dual power supplies.

I need a reliable box. If there is a power supply failure or a drive failure, I'm able to rectify that problem without visiting the customer. And if it's a more serious event, I've got iDRAC so that I can get into it.

The box comes pre-installed with Windows Server 2022, which was one of the reasons we purchased the T150. The licensing was bundled with it, and it has a very attractive price point as a result. But with Windows Server 2022 sitting on the box, the applications interface with that. The applications we run don't talk to the Dell hardware.

Within the native-OS security features, we encrypt the OS disks and that has increased security.

The solution hasn't helped to reduce unplanned production downtime for us, but I know it can do so. It has what HPE calls Automatic System Recovery. Dell calls it the Watchdog Timer. I haven't had a blue screen or system hang yet, but I'm aware that if the system OS freezes, then the Dell Watchdog Timer built into the T150 will automatically restart the server. In that scenario, it would most certainly help with uptime by recovering from an operating system freeze. The T150 certainly ticks that box. I haven't had to see it in action yet, but the technology is there and it is enabled, and the business is happy with that.

A lot of the features of the PowerEdge 650s cascade down to the T150, which is great.

What needs improvement?

The T150 is a little bit bulky for what it is. I think if they created a T150 version with small form-factor drives, that would be an ideal solution. Currently, it is a tower box and it has quite a big footprint, and I have a couple of drives in it—a RAID 1 with a couple of terabytes, SSDs. The footprint of the box is pretty enormous. It has eight large form-factor drives. Gone are the days of people having large spinning disks.

A smaller, all-flash T150 model with 2.5-inch drives would certainly make it a little bit smaller with the potential for power supplies to not be so big. A general shrinkage of the footprint and noise would be good. That's not to say that it's a problem, but that could make it better.

I've been using PowerEdge servers from Dell for about eight years, but we purchased the T150 server just a few weeks ago.

I haven't ever had a fault on a Dell server. I've never had to call out a Dell engineer to fix a fault on a Dell PowerEdge Server. I may only have 10 boxes and if someone else has 100, it might be a different story, but I can only speak from my experience.

I have had issues with Dell laptops and consumer items, but I have never had a fault on data center products, small business servers, or network switches. I'm very impressed. On the consumer electronics side, I don't think they're anywhere near as robust, and perhaps they could learn a lesson from the enterprise side.

The stability is a 10 out of 10. PowerEdge Rack Servers are rock-solid. I don't have a bad word about it because I haven't had a fault.

I wouldn't have a T150 if I had been looking for scalability. I'd have a dual or quad box where I could add an additional processor and scale it as and when needed. I can add more disk, but the days of ripping out an Intel Silver processor and dropping in an Intel Gold processor are gone. It's not cost-effective anymore to do that.

The bulk of my experience with Dell tech support is on the consumer side of things.

I've used quite a few systems throughout the years. I've just recently bought a couple of R650xs boxes and they're ticking along extremely well.

We worked with Dell and sized the box accordingly. With the budget that we had, chose the T150 based on its price-performance ratio. This isn't a box that's going to be running SQL Databases with 10 billion rows. It's not pitched at that level. But this box does perfectly well for our branch offices, Active Directory services, file and print services, application servers, and small web-server management systems. It's a perfect candidate for this role.

The deployment was very straightforward. The T150 came pre-installed with Windows Server 2022, out-of-the-box. Everything was there, including the drivers. It was perfect. There was just a very small custom setup of the Microsoft part. But out-of-the-box, I turned it on and it just worked. They keep it simple. It was seamless, a turnkey solution, for a Windows Server OS install.

I'm also an HPE guy. At the end of the day, they run the same processes. They still run the same basics onboard. They've still got the same NVMe chipsets. Whether you're buying a flash drive from HPE or Dell, it is going to be the same KIOXIA or Seagate.

The question is, what are you actually paying for? You're paying for Dell's custom firmware that sits on top of the box. Dell doesn't produce their own motherboards or processors.

The main reason I choose Dell there is cost. Dell is cheaper than HPE. Why would I want to pay a premium for an HPE product when I'm getting the same amount of support, the same amount of data protection, and the same amount of performance from Dell? It's a no-brainer. I can get a Dell system for about 20 percent less than an HPE system, with exactly the same performance, level of support, and reliability.

And in terms of the possibility of going with a public cloud server, the software for this customer isn't available in the cloud. It's only an on-premises installation.

What other advice do I have?

For high-performance workloads, I wouldn't run the T150 server. I would look at a dual-processor box like the 440 for high-performance workloads. The applications that we run on the T150s do have a small, backend SQL Database and I have no issues with running that on them, but I'm not going to run my main web servers, with tens of thousands of clients connected to it, on a T150. High-performance workloads are not the T150's market.

In terms of the T150's security features, fortunately, I've never had to use the BIOS recovery. It's been pretty rock-solid, and that's a credit to Dell. What I do like is the ability to do all of the firmware updates in the rack. What's beautiful about that is that you have a manual or automatic option. I don't use the automatic, but the option is there if I wanted to use it. I don't want to have 40 machines all rebooting at the same time, at 2:00 AM, on a Sunday morning, because a firmware update has been released, and find that none of them come back online. That would be bad IT management. For that reason, I don't use automatic patching.

I use the manual method, which works very well. It goes out to the internet and tells you what needs to be updated. I click the boxes and schedule the next reboot with Microsoft Patch Tuesday, on the second Tuesday of every month. I review the updates to see what is needed and if it's needed. And typically, I'll apply them on the next weekend, unless something is critical. The rack will then do its firmware updates at the same time.

I haven't monitored the energy consumption of PowerEdge servers. The rack does have energy consumption statistics built into it, but I haven't looked at them, with just a single box running at each site. If I was running them in a data center and I had 40 in the same place, yes, it would be extremely useful to report on. But just having a single box, it's not that important.

Although I haven't really had too much experience with the PowerEdge Rack Server 150 yet, it has done everything I've asked it to do. It's doing what a computer does. It's faultless. I give it 10 out of 10.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller
    Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers
    December 2022
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Danno Johnson - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good performance, small footprint, flexible, and has a quick support team
    • "The MX7000 gives us the most concentrated amount of compute in the smallest area possible."
    • "On the MX7000 platform, they should continue to release better and faster blades."

What is our primary use case?

We use PowerEdge for the virtualization of servers, and it gives us the ability to move server images on and off of the platform very quickly.

How has it helped my organization?

The PowerEdge Rack Servers are a go-to for handling high-performance workloads. I've had positive experiences with the amount of computing that it can provide per blade. Currently, the blade that I'm familiar with is the MX740c, which has dual processors and a total of 24 core processors. There are eight of these blades in the MX7000.

It also provides the ability for networking on the backside, which connects to the mezzanine. I currently use the MX5108, which provides four 25 gigabits-per-second connections to each blade. Each 5108 can provide you with a 100 gig uplink to your core. I currently have the MX5108 connected in two fabrics, A fabric, and B fabric. Both A fabric and B fabric are peered using a VLTI.

Then, I have the VLTI from the two blades connecting and uplinking to our distribution core. The distribution core is using a leaf spine. With that, it gives me 400 gigabits of uplink and downlink onto the chassis.

You can't have computed performance without using more power. That said, when I consider the power consumption and performance of the MX740c, depending on how much memory I install on each blade, I get the best bang for my buck. I'm not going to say that it's inexpensive or that it's sufficient. It depends on how hard I am processing, what I am running, how much memory I use, and again, what blades I purchase with the chassis. Overall, it's very flexible, and it depends on what I want to make of it.

With respect to its performance when it comes to running the latest high-demand applications, depending on my selection of hardware, it should be able to run nearly anything I would want. If I want to run Oracle servers on the PowerEdge blades, for example, then I can do that. They'll run it.

Recently, I've seen my use case migrate from the M1000 chassis to the MX7000 chassis. The improvement that I saw was increasing the uplink bandwidth from the M1000, which I was able to get a maximum of 160 gigabits a second, and now my maximum is 400 gigabits a second. I could have selected different switches, but the MX5108 is adequate to provide the uplink bandwidth that I need from the chassis.

Overall, I've seen an improvement in the network bandwidth, as well as an improvement in the speed of the blades and the processors.

The PowerEdge has also helped to reduce data processing time in the company, which makes things run better because it's faster to move data onto the blades. It is also faster when it comes to the deployment of computed images. It's hard to pinpoint how much time we have saved because it also depends on the network infrastructure that's in place. In my experience over the last couple of years, migrating from the M1000 to the MX7000 has moved the deployment of images from a few minutes to several seconds.

What is most valuable?

The MX7000 gives us the most concentrated amount of computing in the smallest area possible. It also has the ability to provide a large amount of bandwidth to the blades. This is important because it gives the user the ability to move as much data on and off of the blade platforms as quickly as possible.

The iDRAC telemetry is very useful for monitoring the system and providing analytics. You can use commands from the CLI, you can use scripting, you can use the REST interface, or you can use the point-and-click GUI. It's very flexible. I prefer using scripts because I monitor many blades and many chassis. I can script a lot of my monitoring requirements.

The accelerated GPU feature helps to support demanding workloads that we run. For instance, they provide better performance for remote desktop sessions.

The blades are hot-swappable and in a virtual environment, being able to upgrade your hardware platform easily to better and faster hardware is a benefit.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers for the past couple of years.

Stability-wise, this product is solid. We have very little downtime.

I need to make sure that the images that are running on the blades are reliable, and it provides that. Beyond that, I'm happy with the performance.

Scalability is up to the engineer. It is easily scalable depending on what native architecture you use to connect it all together.

I have been in contact with technical support a lot. Sometimes I run into little anomalies that I need an explanation or workaround or fix for, and by bringing it to their attention, they usually get their developers on it and come back with a solution rather quickly.

I would rate the technical support a ten out of ten. We have really good Dell support.

Positive

I have worked with other solutions from other vendors, and I like Dell Power Solutions. I worked with them years ago and then went to a different vendor, on a different job course, and in this particular job I've come back to Dell.

I've got to say that Dell hardware and support are very good, and I'm happy with it.

The initial setup is straightforward. For somebody with experience with Dell products, to begin with, it's simple. It's no more complicated than deploying the M1000, which was the predecessor chassis to the MX7000.

I can deploy and network an MX7000 chassis and have all the blades loaded with ESXi within a day. I make use of a lot of my own scripts and usually, I employ a script to mount the ISO images that'll be installed on all the blades through a shell script, and then the script also reboots the blades, and the blades mount the ISO image and install VMware. All of that happens quickly.

After that, I simply put in the network parameters for the ESXi hosts, add the host to the V-center, and then they're ready to go. I already have some predetermined configurations that I use for the network blades, the MX5108s. I use those as a template for all four blades on the back of the MX7000, and simply paste them in. I can usually have all four blades configured within 30 minutes to an hour.

The pricing is very competitive.

When you compare against public cloud solutions, having the compute onsite is always going to be faster. However, that really depends on how big of a pipe your institution or your data center has to the cloud. If you have more bandwidth to the cloud and back, perhaps latency will be less but I don't see how it can be faster than having the compute on site.

What other advice do I have?

This product has built-in security features, although that's up to the system engineers and network engineers to properly upgrade their firmware. They need to follow Dell's baseline release for the chassis to ensure that the firmware and software for the baseline of the blades and the network cards meet the baseline requirements. If you can match those requirements then the security will follow. It's easier to manage when you're baseline is all matched.

Overall, this is a good product but there is always room for improvement.

Hussein  Harb - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at mindIT
    Provides centralized management capabilities for large environments, reduces data processing times, and supports full automation
    • "We haven't faced any problems with the power supplies. The consumption of power is robust. We still have slots for the new hard discs for availability and upgrading RAM, but the machine itself has been working nonstop for ten years."
    • "Different types of applications that are now trendy in the market, like AI, are still big topics that are not mapped correctly in the server and storage environment. Knowing those kinds of activities and definitions will help us more to position these kinds of servers for the client."

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented the PowerEdge servers in data centers for intelligence, governments, banks, hospitals, and for different use cases. It's a very robust product.

We're a Dell Gold partner, and we sell services for our clients. We've been working in this domain for a long time.

We're using the seven series and the six series, and we previously used the eight series.

Most of our implementations are completed on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

PowerEdge's system management capabilities help increase staff productivity.

It provides centralized management capabilities for large environments. In data centers, implementing multi-servers and managing different kinds of resources from a single portal definitely helps us a lot.

PowerEdge reduces data processing times. The server must be set up well to do this. Knowing your application and how to set up a real configuration that will map your request, helps a lot in the PowerEdge environment.

The enabling of full automation has affected the operations of our company.
    This is the target of every client and organization. The servers fully support automation. A combination of a company's strategy when implementing solutions and having applications that are synchronized with the hardware requirement will lead to a very good result. The hardware is the best part of it because it's so easy. The hardware supports big implementations. If the structure is right, the results will be very good.

PowerEdge hasn't let us down in any situation. It's a very robust system.

We haven't faced any kind of downtime with applications, especially in analytics, because we implement a PowerEdge cluster and support it with storage. The infrastructure is highly available based on the Dell server.

From our implementations over the years and the new demand in technology, we haven't faced any kind of problems related to hardware based on PowerEdge. Everything is based on the application itself and the algorithm that the client uses through the servers. The problem isn't with the servers. The problem is with development.

It's all about processing. If you use a different kind of application that needs a lot of resources, that is a key factor, especially in data collection, open-source data, and applying different analytics over that. That will need a lot of processing, and the hardware is a key factor in that part.

Full automation is fully supported with PowerEdge. From the server perspective, it is fully compliant.

What is most valuable?

We haven't faced any problems with the power supplies. The consumption of power is robust. We still have slots for the new hard discs for availability and upgrading RAM, but the machine itself has been working nonstop for ten years.

We haven't faced any problems with new demands for digital transformation and infrastructure development.

The system is very updated. The machine itself is secure, but it depends on the client's environment and security strategy.

PowerEdge has good value for energy consumption. We know this from other vendors that have the same data centers that we used to work with. It provides better performance in terms of power consumption. More power is saved with the use of a full cabinet of PowerEdge servers versus other solutions with multi-servers.

We work in environments with systems in analytics, AI, Hadoop infrastructure, open source, and data gathering. We have those kinds of servers in our setups, and we never face problems when running the latest high-demand applications. We have an advantage in getting those results on PowerEdge servers rather than other servers.

We had some applications in artificial intelligence. Some of the clients are starting to adopt those use cases. We didn't face any problems adopting those kinds of solutions, although it's still an open discussion.

We are very familiar with the Dell portal, updates, supports, and assessments.

The integrated Dell Remote Access Controller telemetry for monitoring the PowerEdge system data and providing analytics is very simple and accessible. For centralized management, it's a good value. These kinds of implementations in a big data center make a difference.

We have CloudIQ in the machine learning systems that we are implementing for some of our clients, and those are based on Dell PowerEdge. We have those kinds of predictive analytics, and the hardware is doing great so far.

Dell EMC is a combination of processing, storage, and power. We're in a really good position in terms of technology, trends, and the leaders in the market.

Dell has different types of servers that can fit different types of businesses.

What needs improvement?

Different types of applications that are now trendy in the market, like AI, are still big topics that are not mapped correctly in the server and storage environment. Knowing those kinds of activities and definitions will help us more to position these kinds of servers for the client.

I have used this solution since 2005.

It's very stable. We have been using it for ten years.

It's easy to scale.

I would rate technical support an eight out of ten. We have never had a problem with technical support. There are a lot of different layers of support, and they're all very responsive. Dell is a very good company.

Positive

We used to work with HP most of the time, and we worked with servers from Cisco for a short time.

Dell used to have different categories of servers that can fit different types of businesses. Sometimes we find that small servers have good specs over other competition, which is key for some new clients. For some new businesses, small servers can help achieve different targets for SMEs.

The setup is very simple. When deploying PowerEdge, we used the automated server and OS deployment features. Our clients are very familiar with the setup. It's straightforward and very fast. If someone is knowledgeable in IT, they are familiar with PowerEdge.

As a partner, most of the time we help clients. However, most of the clients are knowledgeable enough to implement the servers in a very simple way.

PowerEdge is not a cheap product. It's a quality product, but there is always competition.

We cannot compare public cloud solutions with PowerEdge. This decision is related to the availability of features over the internet versus something that you own in your data center, your servers, and your manageability and power. Implementing those kinds of servers on-premises will cost more, but having a cloud solution with on-premises storage is more feasible and economically better.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

I cannot recommend a solution other than PowerEdge. I'm very happy with it and proud that we have it implemented.

I would definitely recommend this solution to those who are interested in using it. It's a robust, solid solution, and the hardware is designed carefully. The features and capabilities are built-in and it's a very supportive, long-term company. There are continuous efforts for development.

Tim Villa - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at Jones-Hamilton Co.
    Are powerful, don't break, and have great security and performance
    • "Dell PowerEdge servers are powerful. They don't break, and I love that. In my career of over 30 years now, all the Dell servers we've ever used out of the box have never broken."
    • "Dell needs to focus more on SMBs, helping us get the most out of our products. For example, at events, there should be very specific SMB sessions where there are Dell technicians, engineers, and Dell executives meeting with us and finding out what we need. Dell is big on promoting the fact that they're part of our team and that they want to be our partners, and I would like to see them actually partner with us. Do it less with the big Fortune 500 companies and do a little bit more with us SMBs."

What is our primary use case?

The ones we just bought are going to be hypervisor servers, and we have an on-premises Exchange that is running on a PowerEdge server.

How has it helped my organization?

The hands-off demand of the servers and the fact that they're not constantly a thorn in my side has been a big factor. They're running, and I don't have to worry about them. That is the most valuable part about it.

There is no downtime with these servers, and the system management capabilities of PowerEdge have helped increase staff productivity.

PowerEdge has, without a doubt, helped to reduce data processing time in our company. Every time we get a new PowerEdge server, we definitely notice an impact on the SQL databases that are part of our ERP. I do have users come and tell me that they've noticed that things have sped up and that even simple file searches are faster.

What is most valuable?

Dell PowerEdge servers are powerful. They don't break, and I love that. In my career of over 30 years now, all the Dell servers we've ever used out of the box have never broken.

On top of that, when we had an air conditioning failure and I came in after a weekend, the temperature in the server room was 110 degrees. Inside the cases themselves, it was over 220 degrees. The only thing we lost was a backplane on one of the servers. This alone speaks for the durability of the Dell servers, and we've never gone away from Dell servers ever.

They are fantastic in terms of performance as well.

As for PowerEdge's approach to security, I would rate it very high. The tools provided by Dell update the BIOS and everything else, and the software is running on the server at all times. It is proactive and alerts me. It's taken a load off of my shoulders compared to how it was 20 years ago. I would have to go to their site and find out what was new. Now, I can just go to the computer or the server, and right there, it will tell me what needs to be done.

The security is pretty strong. When we use ethical hackers to hack us, the Dell servers are never the issue.

In terms of power consumption, I have no complaints at all about PowerEdge Rack Servers. My server room's APC, which is a battery backup system, is a full-mounted rack. It handles all the power coming from all our PowerEdge servers. We have never once had to scale it up at all in the almost 20 years that I've been working with them. It's moving technology in and out nonstop, and it shows you that these servers are fantastic. They don't really shift that much in power needs.

What needs improvement?

Dell needs to focus more on SMBs, helping us get the most out of our products. For example, at events, there should be very specific SMB sessions where there are Dell technicians, engineers, and Dell executives meeting with us and finding out what we need. Dell is big on promoting the fact that they're part of our team and that they want to be our partners, and I would like to see them actually partner with us. Do it less with the big Fortune 500 companies and do a little bit more with us SMBs.

I've been working this solution for the last 17 years.

For stability, there's really no other product that I would trust.

Dell's support, throughout the years that we've used it, is typically fantastic, but, again, because the PowerEdge servers are so durable and good, I haven't used them as much. When I've had to contact them for other issues, they've resolved the issues within a week, if not a day or two.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's out-of-the-box, and I've never found a snag or anything like that in the process.

We deploy everything by hand; everything is manual.

It doesn't take that long, and we can even do it with our laptops and desktops. We do not do any ghosting or imaging, and a server usually takes me a day at the most, while I really take my time with it and get all the updates in.

We do it ourselves, or we have one consultant that we use if it's something that is out of our wheelhouse.

Every time I don't have to work on something and my servers are just running without an issue, that is a return on investment for me. The fact that my coworkers and owners are never complaining to me about things being down all the time is the biggest ROI there is.

I have no issues with the pricing and licensing costs. They are fine.

I looked at HP, and in a previous job, I've actually worked on HPs. I didn't love the HP servers. Even more so than the hardware, I couldn't stand HP's service and support. They're really bad.

When it comes to servers, Dell would be my first choice, and IBM would be my second choice.

We have one other server that is an IBM i-series server. (It used to be called AS/400.) If I were to compare it to the PowerEdge servers, there really is no comparison. It's a monster of a machine, and we have a lot more problems with that than we do with any of our Dell servers. Plus, it's finicky. The performance on it is questionable. You have to really baby it a lot more than the Dell servers, whereas the Dell servers are those that are the set-it-and-forget-it type. I work far more on issues with my applications that are running on the Dell servers than I ever do with the actual Dell servers themselves.

I would consider Dell and HP in the same area, whereas I look at IBM as being more specific. My only experience with IBM servers has to do with the AS/400 i-series Power9 line. Those are built specifically to house an ERP, whereas the Dell and HP servers are built to handle everything you need.

When it comes to the servers, I trust Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers. They're who I'm going to stick with. I don't consider HP to be a realistic competitor.

What other advice do I have?

If you are comparing Dell against anyone else, just get Dell PowerEdge. It's not even a question. The servers don't break, and they don't give you issues. Your applications are going to cause enough problems for you as it is, and you don't want the hardware they're sitting upon to also be another issue. After all, the servers were 220 degrees during an air conditioning outage and still churning and not causing problems!

If I were to rate Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers on a scale from one to ten, I would give them a nine.

Senior Manager of IT at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
    We utilize them heavily, 24/7, and they never stop; very reliable
    • "The management portal is essential because it gives you a lot of flexibility. You don't have to be at the location to manage the server. You can power it on and off remotely or start an installation remotely. All you need to do is connect it to the network and you can do things from thousands of miles away."
    • "While I wouldn't call it a problem, physically mounting the servers into the rails that come with the servers can be a challenge. They could be engineered to be a little bit easier to use. It's not that significant, we can manage it, but you need at least two people to do it together because they're a bit heavy."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use them for managing our testing environment. They manage a different brand of blade servers, not Dell, but the Rack Servers powered by Intel are monitoring and managing the queues that run the tests. Developers are submitting tests to the system 24 hours a day, and nodes on the blade servers run the tests. Our PowerEdge servers manage the test queues.

What is most valuable?

The management portal is essential because it gives you a lot of flexibility. You don't have to be at the location to manage the server. You can power it on and off remotely or start an installation remotely. All you need to do is connect it to the network and you can do things from thousands of miles away. That is essential when working with data centers. You don't want to be there but you want to have full control remotely.

Another valuable feature is that it's a Dell and that means it's a reliable product.

I have been using Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers powered by Intel for the last 10 years.

It has performed the way that we expected it to with no technical problems. I don't recall any problems with the server itself that required us to call support or get replacement parts. It does what we expect it to do.

It's stable. It's working 24/7, 365. We don't ever stop it. We have two offices in Israel, and each has two PowerEdge Rack Servers. They're monitoring our testing environment and that environment is running 24 hours a day, so the servers are very heavily utilized.

We usually keep them for four years or stretch them to five years with a warranty extension. We wreck them and have never had to deal with any problems. The PowerEdge servers we have are the third generation that we purchased for this specific role. I'm assuming the integration team that requested these models specifically is satisfied with the outcome.

We got them in a configuration that hasn't required us to make any changes in terms of scalability.

Dell's support works. Here in Israel, Dell works with a third party that handles the contact with the customer. I don't recall if that third party handles servers, but in general, a lot of improvement is required there.

We are a corporate environment. When I call Dell support and give them my credentials or customer number, I expect the guy on the other side to understand who he is talking with. He should immediately see that I have at least 500 laptops, desktops, and more than 1,000 Dell monitors. I'm not just a private customer calling from home. I expect the service to work accordingly.

Don't ask me, "Did you reboot the machine?" or "Did you update?" We only call Dell support when we cannot solve the problems ourselves. By the time we call, we have done all the testing and all the updating. We have done everything on our side and that's when we need professional, technical support. But when we call them here in Israel, we get what seems like very consumer-oriented customer support. There is a lot of room for improvement in this area.

Neutral

We had HP ProLiant in the past, but we haven't used them for quite a while. Our entire organization is using Dell for end-user machines, laptops, workstations, and desktops. The PowerEdge Rack Servers powered by Intel deliver what we need. It's easier to work with the same vendor and have a unified environment.

While I wouldn't call it a problem, physically mounting the servers into the rails that come with the servers can be a challenge. They could be engineered to be a little bit easier to use. It's not that significant, we can manage it, but you need at least two people to do it together because they're a bit heavy. You have to slide them exactly into the rails. It's a little bit challenging, but not serious.

From unboxing it to preparing the rack and sliding the server into it, connecting everything, and powering it up, it takes about 30 minutes or so.

Integrating it into a particular environment is very simple. We set up an IP, connect it, and install a server operating system. It's a very rapid process. Within about an hour, it is up and running in the environment.

In terms of handling the evolving needs of high-performance workloads, you get your money's worth. When you buy something, you need it to perform and deliver and these servers do that. It's a very good product.

PowerEdge pricing is equivalent to that of all the others in the market. We always try to get a better price, but I don't see any problem with the pricing and licensing of Dell's servers. It's not the case, when I compare them to other vendors, that they are extremely more expensive or that the licensing is much more complex.

We looked at HP and Supermicro. We went with Dell, in part, because we are a Dell shop, but price was one of the most critical aspects. We also looked at what we needed to gain from the server. When we connected all these factors, we decided that Dell was the best solution for us.

What other advice do I have?

Before you approach procurement, you should know exactly what you are looking to get out of the product. If you're looking for a reliable vendor and performance, have all your information ready first. Then check the pricing and make sure that you have the budget. It's not like buying a PC for your home. It's a professional server and it costs. You'd better have all the information beforehand, and then you can evaluate whether the purchase of a PowerEdge is suitable for your requirements.

We don't use Dell's OpenManage console. When we need to make changes that don't directly apply to the operating system but to the server itself, we only go into the iDRAC management interface and do it from there on.

System Administrator at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
    Decreased time to deploy new data centers, improved IT staff's productivity and reduced unplanned downtime
    • "The iDRAC is an excellent service; it allows us to install and deploy our software remotely."
    • "Overall, the solution is excellent, though Dell could improve the monitoring."

What is our primary use case?

We are a construction company operating worldwide, and we use PowerEdge servers for local storage at our construction sites. Each site has its own infrastructure, including a Dell server. When construction is completed at one place, we decommission the server and then recommission it to another location. There are many Dell servers in the company, somewhere around 3000-5000.

I used the solution to create a cluster consisting of three servers plus storage, and it automatically failed over using VMware. The OS on top of VMware is usually Windows, which is used for financial systems.

We leverage native Windows OS security features in our environment; we need third-party security tools to ensure the safety of our servers.

Our infrastructure is extensive, so we rely on the reliability of the servers. If a server is down, we need to deploy the support team to fix any issue.

We use the solution as a kind of high server, and they are our go-to servers for data forms. The overall integration of our workloads with PowerEdge Rack Servers is critical.

To protect from malware and other firmware attacks, we use McAfee and other antivirus software. We have our firewall and other layers of protection.

How has it helped my organization?

Using the OpenManage console decreased the time it takes us to deploy new data centers. We use efficient division of labor and the technologies offered by the solution, so we can do in one hour what previously took us four hours.

OpenManage very much improved our IT staff's productivity. We are part of a larger organization, and there is Dell service worldwide. As such, we can centrally control firmware updates and turn the power on and off to the servers. This feature works very well for us.

Using the solution reduced our unplanned downtime by 20% to 30%.

What is most valuable?

The OpenManage app is another excellent service, and VMware supports it. There is no problem with drivers because we can get all of them via VMware or Dell.

The solution is an excellent platform for handling the needs of high-performance workloads, it's a good server for high performance.

The solution's approach to security with signed firmware, drift detection, and BIOS recovery is robust and accessible. We can monitor the security landscape easily via OpenManage.

The solution's energy consumption is excellent for managing the power supply, as it is very efficient thanks to built-in power factor correction. The power consumption depends upon the load; it increases with a high CPU load, and we manage this through Windows. We can also use OpenManage to fine-tune the power management.

The major market players are HP and Dell, and we find Dell to be the more cost-effective server. We're also satisfied with its features; the security, management, remote management, and reliability are all favorable.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the solution is excellent, though Dell could improve the monitoring.

The solution could be more friendly in terms of cost.

I have worked at several companies using Dell PowerEdge Rack servers for over ten years.

The solution is very stable and reliable.

The solution is scalable; we can increase capacity by adding CPU and memory as required.

The customer service is good. We do a lot of remote work, so we sometimes contact them from sites to assist in making changes, doing updates, or installing remotely.

I previously used HP servers, which are also good, but I switched due to the high cost.

The initial deployment is straightforward, and that improved over time. Our project management is pleased with the quick deployment; nowadays, we can even deploy remotely. Deployment takes no more than one hour.

Our deployment strategy is to work remotely; technicians install a rack on site, and I can deploy as soon as I get iDRAC.

Typically, we receive an ROI. By the time construction has finished on a site, the server will already have covered its cost and more.

The product is cheaper than HP servers, but the price could always be better.

We considered public cloud servers, but PowerEdge wins in cost versus public cloud. We also have a vast number of files and operate a large number of sites. One of our requirements is to store files locally, so we need to place physical servers at our locations. That's why we went with the Dell Technologies solution.

The latency of PowerEdge versus public clouds was critical to us as end users don't want issues on the network. Some people prefer to go with the cloud no matter the cost, but the price is essential for us, and the PowerEdge servers are more affordable, especially over the long term. In the short term, going with the cloud could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution ten out of ten.

We use the Dell OpenManage console for our PowerEdge Rack Servers, and it's easy to use.

PowerEdge servers are a good choice, as many people use Dell services on the market, and we find Dell to be the most cost-effective server. In terms of long-term cost, we would choose this solution over a cloud solution every time, so I highly recommend this product.

I recommend a good server room or rack with air conditioning to provide a favorable physical environment for the servers. I also recommend a good network as we can use 10G nowadays, and a good network contributes to computation.

Architect with 51-200 employees
    Cost-effective, reliable, and helpful management frameworks
    • "PowerEdge helped to reduce our customer’s data processing time."
    • "We do encounter power supply failures from time to time."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for compute servers. We use them as compute servers to run our virtual machines on-load, mainly on VMware.

What is most valuable?

The R6 series has been very valuable as it's more cost-effective and it has a lot of features. Based on the requirements, we found the R6 Series would be best suited for our customers. Reliability-wise, it's also great.

PowerEdge is for handling the evolving needs of high-performance workloads, including VDI, AI, and SAP. We did run PowerEdge servers with virtual workloads, especially on VDI. We realized that SSD is necessary, especially with VMware vSphere platforms as the IO requirements are quite high.

In terms of security, there’s been no issue from our side. In terms of BIOS, it is secure and we can go and log into BIOS to change certain settings.

PowerEdge is good for energy consumption. PowerEdge Servers run on optimal voltage. Compared to other competitors or other brands, the power rating is great.

We use iDRAC for many years already. It's an item we need to buy. We’ve had no problems so far. We use it for monitoring purposes to configure SNMP and the servers.

PowerEdge analytics helped to decrease production downtime.

The data points I’d draw attention to for potential customers depend on how much the customer is going to spend. If there is a certain budget, we would plan around their budget. In terms of analytics, most of the time, our monitoring service is able to collect the data metrics already, so having PowerEdge analytics is a complement to our existing monitoring system. While it's good to have, it depends of course on the customer's budget. If their budget is small, we will take away analytics to save costs.

PowerEdge helped to reduce our customer’s data processing time. In fact, they were getting a lot of data from here, from their data processing. We also partner with some Big Data Analytics which run data points. In terms of PowerEdge, it's running fine except for certain power failures from time to time. In terms of how much they’ve reduced the data processing producing power, I don't have the metrics to comment on.

PowerEdge systems management frameworks enable us to progress towards full automation when it comes to managing PowerEdge. We find it very useful in terms of automation, the setup, and configuration, as it does offer setup and proper checks. With the servers, we just need to set our black bar and then push down the setup and configurations box into PowerEdge and we run after that.

What needs improvement?

We do encounter power supply failures from time to time, however, in terms of operations, the production uptime, the production is not affected, and the SLA is still within the stipulated time.

In the future, we hope that the noise level will be lower.

I've used the solution for quite a long while. Likely, it's been more than 10 years.

We've had no issues with scaling so far. We have been using PowerEdge for years and we are able to scale well. For networking, we need to build the network to scale, and it hasn't been a problem.

Dell support is responsive. They dispatch an engineer on-site to help us within their SLA plan. They are very good so far.

That said, we would appreciate it if the engineer came down with the parts beforehand so they can resolve hardware issues on the spot.

Positive

We deployed many series of PowerEdge for many years. We also used other vendors, including HP and Cisco among others. I would say that in terms of reliability, they are a bit better than Dell in terms of power supplies.

The deployment time depends on the size of the setup. So far, we haven't had any problems with the setup.

We engage with vendors to do the setup as unboxing PowerEdge and mounting them onto racks. This is especially true if we are talking about hundreds of servers.

Dell can actually do everything in their staging environment, in their warehouse, before shipping everything to customers. We've been quite satisfied with Dell's level of service so far.

The product meets our requirements. Cost-wise, certain configurations in PowerEdge maybe cost a bit extra. Especially the SSD drives.

The cost will increase if we go with the rack-and-stack approach.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Dell.

We use the R series, namely R620, 630, then after that 720, 730, and with the XD series as well. We deploy them in data centers. Inside the data centers, there are systems as well as cloud systems; typically the deployment is hybrid.

We don’t use Dell's cloud view for predictive analytics.

I can’t speak to PowerEdge's accelerated tuning in terms of helping to support demanding workloads. We have not used GPU yet.

I'd advise new users to go ahead and assess PowerEdge. Of course, companies need to get their representative to send some metrics, especially the MTBF or certain components on Dell products. We realize that the power supply may be a weak link when running high loads constantly. In terms of other components, there are no issues.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022