Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is the #17 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. PeerSpot users give Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is most commonly compared to Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series: Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series vs Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series. Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 49% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series?

The DE All-Flash Series delivers the performance of more than 2,000 15k rpm HDDs, yet requires only 2% of the rack space, power, and cooling. Because it consumes 98% less space and power, DE Series can significantly improve the overall efficiency of your IT operations while continuing to meet your performance requirements.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series was previously known as ThinkSystem DE Series.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series Video

Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series pricing:
  • "The price of the Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is a one-time purchase. There is a global price list available to find the price of the solution."
  • "We have a five-year contract for providing support."
  • "All of the features are bundled together, and you can renew the bundle with all of the features included."
  • "The best thing about this solution is its price, which reduces our costs."
  • Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series Reviews

Project Analysis, Design & Implementation at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    High availability, helpful documentation, and responsive support
    • "The most valuable features of the Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series are the dual controllers, available installation documentation, and the option of multiple host bus adapter interfaces."
    • "The difficult part comes when dealing with the host. You have to enable multi-pathing and other aspects that are needed for proper configuration. I don't know if there is room for a more hyper-conversion structure to work with, but this would be easier."

What is our primary use case?

I do the initial configuration of Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series and then the customer manages the whole storage solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series are the dual controllers, available installation documentation, and the option of multiple host bus adapter interfaces.

I have been using Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series for approximately two years.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series has high availability.

October 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Lenovo, Dell Technologies, NetApp and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: October 2022.
    654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have read and I have seen the expansion modules of the Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series, but I haven't yet used any of them because there's no need.

I have three or four customers that are using these systems, but I have no personal experience with the solution.

The support from Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is very good. We have good support here in Greece because Lenovo has a presence here.

The initial setup of the Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series was straightforward and we did not have any problems. The storage of the array takes approximately half an hour to implement.

The difficult part comes when dealing with the host. You have to enable multi-pathing and other aspects that are needed for proper configuration. I don't know if there is room for a more hyper-conversion structure to work with, but this would be easier.

We do the deployment of the solution in-house, we are the installers and resellers.

For the deployments that I have done, we have not needed more than one engineer to complete the work. However, the amount of people required depends on the environment and other factors.

The price of the Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is a one-time purchase. There is a global price list available to find the price of the solution.

There are additional licenses if you want some of the extra features, such as Snapshotting. The standard licenses are typically enough for on-premise or cloud deployments. I have not used the data centers that might use the premium licenses.

This solution is similar to other major vendors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is that this is a straightforward, detailed documented, and supported solution.

I rate Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series an eight out of ten.

IT Departmant - System Administration at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    A stable solution for hosting, VMware and backup
    • "We have been working with the solution for around a year and so far it has shown itself to be stable."
    • "The solution could be more scalable, although it suits our present needs."

What is our primary use case?

We use the DE series, the 2000 and DE4000. It's DE, All-Flash storage.

We use Lenovo with the VMware solution. We have VMware with virtual machines and the production storage is the Lenovo DE4000 Hybrid. The solution for backup is Lenovo Storage 2000.

For the moment, we use the solution in respect of our three hosts, for VMware and for storage.

What needs improvement?

The VMware should be addressed and the solution should have more storage, although I am not in need of the latter or of any other product at present.

The solution could be more scalable, although it suits our present needs.

We have been using Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series for around one year.

As we employ the VMware for three hosts, we are not able to scale it too much. But, for our present needs it is scalable.

The solution could be more scalable and I believe we could increase certain resources should the need arise.

Our use of the solution is fairly recent and we have not yet had occasion to utilize technical support.

We worked with Dell EMC storage Healthcare for around five years.

We also used Buffalo TeraStation for additional backup. I am referring to PowerVault storage array.

We have the two Lenovo hosts for production, the storage being connected with fiber channels. We also have another host Lenovo with the storage backup.

Installation and deployment lasted around a week-and-a-half.

When it comes to the deployment, there are around seven members who make up the IT team, the data center containing only two.

We have a five-year contract for providing support. I am not aware of other licensing costs and do not believe there are any.

What other advice do I have?

There are 1,000 users in our organization who are making use of the solution.

I would recommend this solution to others.

Based on my experience thus far, I rate Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series as a nine out of ten.

October 2022
    654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    It consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Stable, entry-level product by design, nonetheless, could use more functionality
    • "Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is quite an elementary box, no frills. It does not have all the functionality of the DM but it is acceptable, it does its task. It integrates pretty well."
    • "In the next release, I would like to see more functionality. But, again, it is an entry-level product."

What is our primary use case?

We use Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series for video surveillance. The DE, particularly, is for archiving targets, backing up targets, and, to a degree, virtualization.

What is most valuable?

Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is quite an elementary box, no frills. It does not have all the functionality of the DM but it is acceptable, it does its task. It integrates pretty well.

What needs improvement?

Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is not a mainstream product for us. It is a product that Lenovo obtained through NetApp. NetApp owns Engenio, the whole LSI company. We have been dealing with them for many years. It's a nice product, nothing strange, nothing wow.

The DE is a very elementary array, just an entry-level product.

I have been using Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series since Lenovo has had their relationship with NetApp - so for a couple of years.

We sell it. We are a distributor for them.

All the storage arrays are stable.

It is scalable.

We have about 20 clients that are using the Lenovo ThinkSystem solution.

Their support is fine. It's good.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is fine.

It takes about an hour or hour and a half for a DE.

The price is fine. It is all included. Most of these arrays are all-inclusive nowadays.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Lenovo DE Series to other users who want to start using it in the right space.

On a scale of one to ten, I would say Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is around a seven. It is really entry-level.

In the next release, I would like to see more functionality. But, again, it is an entry-level product, that's why it's a seven, because it is a really elementary, entry-level product. It's not a mid-range array, it's very elementary. It's meant to be. That's the design.

Senior IT Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Simple to manage, easy to install with excellent technical support and cost-effective
    • "Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is simple to use"
    • "It would be useful to have structured solutions replicated to other sites."

What is our primary use case?

We use Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series for small businesses, primarily for VM workloads, as well as for block storage.

What is most valuable?

Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is simple to use. It is also simple to manage.

What needs improvement?

While it is a reliable product, it could be improved.

It would be useful to have structured solutions replicated to other sites.

I have been working with Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series for two years.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is a stable solution.

It is scalable in our targets, but scalability is not important with these types of solutions.

The technical support is very good.

I'm familiar with HPE 3PAR and HPE Nimble Storage. I used to work with both of them in my previous company approximately six years ago.

We are now Dell and Lenovo partners, and I have switched to their technology.

We work with Dell Unity and Unity HC for PowerStore. We also work with the new series of Lenovo, DE, and DM.

It is simple to install.

It took approximately half a day to deploy.

We completed the implementation ourselves.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series is cost-effective.

There is no license. All of the features are bundled together, and you can renew the bundle with all of the features included.

What other advice do I have?

We are consultants, and this is a solution that we would recommend to others.

I would rate Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series a nine out of ten.

IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Excellent price and great ease of configuration and management

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution primarily for VMware, where we have three servers and storage of the VMs. The solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The best thing about this solution is its price, which reduces our costs. Additionally, this solution's ease of configuration and management are valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Improvements can be made to the product's performance.

We have been using this solution for approximately two years. Currently, we use DE 2000H, specifically series J3026371.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. Approximately 300 people are using it in our organization.

We have had a very good experience with customer service and support. They answer questions very fast and resolve our issues.

The solution is very easy to set up.

The solution license costs us a one-time payment of 10,000.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. The solution is good, but it could be improved by including features like snapshots to make it more efficient.

Company Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The price per gigabyte is good, especially on SSD solutions

What is our primary use case?

ThinkSystem is mostly for application systems and database systems like Oracle SQL Server. We also sometimes use it for SAP environments.

What is most valuable?

ThinkSystem's storage performs well, and the price per gigabyte is good, especially on SSD solutions. It's also easy to use.

What needs improvement?

ThinkSystem could be better integrated with backup software like Commvault, Veritas, or Symantec.

We have been partnered with Lenovo for eight or nine years. We started selling the DE Series when Lenovo released it, so it's been about three years.

ThinkSystem is highly stable.

ThinkSystem has considerable scalability.

Technical support is responsive. IBM provides support for Lenovo storage in Poland, and it's very good.

Deploying ThinkSystem is simple. Our engineers take care of it. Deployment can take five to 10 days and requires three engineers.

The cost of the license is per terabyte.

What other advice do I have?

I rate ThinkSystem DE Series nine out of 10.

Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Lenovo, Dell Technologies, NetApp, and more!
    Updated: October 2022