Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Juniper Contrail Networking OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper Contrail Networking is #5 ranked solution in top Software Defined Networking. PeerSpot users give Juniper Contrail Networking an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Juniper Contrail Networking is most commonly compared to Cisco SD-WAN: Juniper Contrail Networking vs Cisco SD-WAN. Juniper Contrail Networking is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 40% of all views.
Juniper Contrail Networking Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper Contrail Networking Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Juniper Contrail Networking?
Juniper Contrail Networking is a simple, open, and agile cloud network automation product that implements an SDN architecture. With its scale-out microservices architecture, Contrail orchestrate virtual network overlays at the performance and scale of even the most dynamic and large clouds. Contrail Networking is equipped with always-on advanced analytics capabilities to provide deep insights into application and infrastructure performance for better visualization, easier diagnostics, rich reporting, custom application development, and machine automation. It also supports integration with other analytics platforms like Juniper Networks AppFormix and streaming analytics through technologies like Apache Kafka and its API.

Juniper Contrail Networking was previously known as Contrail Networking.

Juniper Contrail Networking Customers
Lithium Technologies, Orange Business Services, Cloudwatt, Symantec, Cloud Dynamics, CloudSeeds
Juniper Contrail Networking Video

Juniper Contrail Networking Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper Contrail Networking pricing:
"Juniper Contrail Networking is low-cost for small and medium-sized businesses. Cisco and Palo Alto solutions are more expensive."

Juniper Contrail Networking Reviews

Head of Business Development and Partners Management at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's stable enough in a lab, but the setup is complex, and support is insufficient

What is our primary use case?

We used Contrail to build a private cloud infrastructure inside our lab for a POC. If everything had been successful, it would have been transferred to my company's customers, but the POC was not successful.

What needs improvement?

Visibility, especially for the top of the platform, is a nightmare. The top was documented incorrectly and really complex to complete. In the end, it worked but only after several weeks of work with the support of a Juniper solution engineer in Holland.

We used Contrail for about a year and a half in a lab environment, not production or customer service.

After we finished setting Contrail up, it seemed stable enough. Still, we never tested it in a real environment, so we don't have enough information to say whether it's stable with a given number of users and appliances. We have tested it in a lab environment, but we haven't tested enough to say that the platform is stable.

Juniper Contrail Networking vs. Nuage Networks
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Juniper Contrail Networking vs. Nuage Networks and other solutions. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I don't have enough data to say anything about it, but Contrail is probably scalable. I believe that should be a core feature of Contrail, but we don't have enough experience to say it can scale out without any problem.

We don't have any local support in Italy, so we worked with a Contrail engineer based in Holland. For this kind of platform, vendor support is the first thing we look at. If we move a project to production and experience a failure that requires same-day support, I'm not sure that someone in Italy or anywhere in Europe can help us. It's challenging.

Juniper doesn't have a clear strategy for Contrail. Some parts of the platform have been moved to the open-source ecosystem, and we cannot buy them. You need support services for Contrail, but we would have to build a canceled project to have some support for Contrail. I can get support for Juniper's
other appliances, solutions, or services but not Contrail.

It took us more than a month to deploy. There were a lot of problems with the Juniper documentation, which was often incorrect or missing many parts. This is not an enterprise solution. That's for sure. It could be managed in a telecom carrier environment, but Contrail requires a lot of people to operate it and provide support when there are problems.

Deployment and maintenance take at least three full-time employees. We have one system engineer with deep knowledge of IT infrastructure, networking, computing, etc., and two solution architects with advanced training on Juniper Contrail.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Juniper Contrail six out of 10.

VagifGalamov - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable, and priced well for small to medium sized businesses

What is our primary use case?

Juniper Contrail Networking is used mostly for a VPN solution. For example, site-to-site or remote VPN.

What needs improvement?

Juniper Contrail Networking is difficult if you do not have a certificate for Juniper. Juniper is a different type of configuration or operation than Cisco.

I have been using Juniper Contrail Networking for approximately three months.

Juniper Contrail Networking is a stable solution.

The setup for Juniper Contrail Networking is difficult for beginners. If you do not have experience it can be complex.

Juniper Contrail Networking is low-cost for small and medium-sized businesses. Cisco and Palo Alto solutions are more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is it will be helpful to take a Juniper certificate program or course before using their solutions.

I rate Juniper Contrail Networking an eight out of ten.