IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

JIRA Portfolio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

JIRA Portfolio is #5 ranked solution in top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools. PeerSpot users give JIRA Portfolio an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. JIRA Portfolio is most commonly compared to Jira Align: JIRA Portfolio vs Jira Align. JIRA Portfolio is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
JIRA Portfolio Buyer's Guide

Download the JIRA Portfolio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is JIRA Portfolio?

The agile portfolio management tool, built for JIRA.

With Portfolio for JIRA, you can plan and forecast a realistic roadmap, make data-informed decisions when the unexpected happens, and keep everyone in the know.

JIRA Portfolio was previously known as Portfolio for JIRA.

JIRA Portfolio Customers

Rosetta Stone, Sprint, UBS, Workday, Expedia, J.P. Morgan

JIRA Portfolio Video

Archived JIRA Portfolio Reviews (more than two years old)

Line Technical Agent at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, easy to deploy, and has good integration
  • "The feature that we like the most is that JIRA enables modules. Atlassian provides a lot of products around JIRA, such as compliance for the documentation, BitBucket for the Git version. We are new to these products developed by Atlassian, but they can integrate very easily. Generally, when an editor is developing a solution, they think about integrating with JIRA. When we are looking for any other solution, they plan to easily integrate with JIRA."
  • "We would love to be able to have direct contact with Atlassian. Currently, they are not working directly with West African countries. We are considering using JIRA Align, but when we contact them, they say that as we are in West Africa, they don't directly work with West Africa."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to manage an agile project. We are putting JIRA on our backlog, and we are following the work in progress with the Kanban board.

We have generated a lot of dashboard in-reporting with JIRA Portfolio to monitor the performance of our direction and our projects team. We have a license for 250 users, and we are going to get a license for 500 users.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we like the most is that JIRA enables modules.

Atlassian provides a lot of products around JIRA, such as compliance for the documentation, BitBucket for the Git version. We are new to these products developed by Atlassian, but they can integrate very easily. Generally, when an editor is developing a solution, they think about integrating with JIRA. When we are looking for any other solution, they plan to easily integrate with JIRA.

What needs improvement?

We would love to be able to have direct contact with Atlassian. Currently, they are not working directly with West African countries. We are considering using JIRA Align, but when we contact them, they say that as we are in West Africa, they don't directly work with West Africa.

We have been using JIRA Portfolio for about four years, since 2016.

JIRA Portfolio
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about JIRA Portfolio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is very stable. We had only one issue, but it was not related to JIRA.

We didn't have to get in touch with the support team. Generally, when we have an issue, we go to the community, and we are able to resolve it very fast.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The deployment is very easy. We easily do it ourselves without any help. We have a team of two to three people.

What other advice do I have?

Doing digital transformation is difficult. It's not regarding JIRA. It's difficult to change the mindset of our teams to be more agile and to adapt JIRA as a new way of working. We have to change the mindset and the mentality of the teams with a new way of working so that we can move forward. JIRA will help us to be more agile because JIRA is built for agile teams.

We had to work with a consulting team based in France to help us with the organization of the process. Atlassian doesn't directly work with West African countries. So, we had to work with a French company.

I would rate JIRA Portfolio an eight out of ten.

Software Developer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Handled SDLC from end-to-end and fits well into an Agile environment
  • "The most valuable feature is that it fits very well into an agile framework, and it is especially helpful with the planning aspects."
  • "Converting a task into an epic is very troublesome."

What is our primary use case?

I am a software developer and we use this product for end-to-end SDLC. It begins with the requirements gathering, then continues with tracking features and planning our sprints. We also use it for tracking bugs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it fits very well into an agile framework, and it is especially helpful with the planning aspects. For example, if you create a new ticket, issue, or feature, then you classify it accordingly and you can assign it to an ongoing sprint.

You can look at the sprint backlog to see what features are planned, how many are in progress, and how many have been completed. This helps during reviews because you can get information about the velocity of the team. If somebody should leave the team for a while, or are otherwise unavailable for work, then the velocity calculations are readjusted.

What needs improvement?

Converting a task into an epic is very troublesome. As it is now, if you make the mistake of creating the wrong thing then you just have to delete it and start again. If you could convert between things such as features and tasks then it would be helpful.

I have been using the Jira Portfolio for about four years.

We use Jira on a daily basis and I cannot recall having any issues with stability.

It is easy to scale but of course, the problem is that it needs licenses. As the licenses fit into a plan, it can be kind of tricky. When you want to procure additional licenses, it is a long path.

For example, if you have licenses for 50 users and you see that you need a license for another 10, then you can't just purchase a small number. At a certain point, you have to move up to 500 users, which is quite a jump.

Currently, we have about 60 users.

I have not been in contact with their technical support team, although I do go through the community forums. I get details on new features that are going to be released and other such information, but I have not had to contact support for any specific issue.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Somebody who knows Agile well will have no difficulty with Jira. On the other hand, somebody new to Agile may face some problems in the beginning.

We do not have any dedicated staff for maintenance. For the operation of it, we do have a facilitator and a scrum master who manages things for each project. However, maintenance is very straightforward. We don't need a full-time administrator working on it. A couple of people working part-time can take care of it.

Internally, people within a project may need some help when it comes to things like planning. In this case, they will get help from the scrum master.

We pay our fees annually, although monthly payments are also available.

What other advice do I have?

From a developer's perspective, this tool works fine and I don't have any complaints other than wanting to convert between features, tasks, etc, when a mistake has been made in creating one.

The only advice that I have for people who are implementing Jira Portfolio is to make sure that they manage their licenses properly.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

JIRA Portfolio
August 2022
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Project Manager at Allianz
Good documentation, good visualization of tickets, and relatively stable
  • "The documentation is very well done."
  • "JIra is very poor at reporting."

What is most valuable?

With JIRA Portfolio, you can do your portfolio after projects and right away you are able to see all the tickets of your portfolio. You can change the project which belongs in the portfolio at any moment and you can do any simulation you want. You can have many scenarios, and, when we agree with the scenario, we can push the scenario inside to JIRA.

The documentation is very well done.

What needs improvement?

Today, when we want to prepare PI planning, we have a dedicated plugin, which allows us to print a ticket. We have beautiful tickets which is an advantage. We can print tickets and put them right on the wall. It's better for PI planning due to the fact that you can read information, and it's always written in the same way.

On each ticket, you can see priority, version, et cetera, always written in the same way. If you write it directly, however, it's not always readable. JIRA Portfolio can help you during PI planning because you can write your dependencies directly.

However, it would be better if you didn't have this manual part of the process. If we don't have to print a ticket and to put a ticket on the wall, it would be easier. It's very difficult, for example, for sizeable companies to find large rooms to do PI planning.

With coronavirus, we have to work from home. PI planning needs to be re-imagined. It needs to be virtual, not physical. It would be better if it was more like Klaxon, where your ticket is pushed to a blackboard.

JIRA is very poor at reporting.

I've been using the solution since the beginning of this year. It's been just over six months.

We introduced JIRA in 2018 and since then we haven't had any issues with stability. In my opinion, two years isn't a sufficient amount of time to really gauge stability, however, that said, it's never given us trouble.

We have about 2,000 people in the company using the solution.

We have reached out to technical support in the past, however, we prefer to use Google or search the forum. In fact, if you send a request to Atlassian, it's like throwing a bottle into the sea and waiting on a response. If I send a ticket directly to the expanded portal, I have a response 24 hours later, and if I send a ticket to Atlassian on JIRA Core, I'll get a response maybe one month later. It's easier, therefore, to search for a solution yourself than to expect a response from Atlassian.

In order to set up the solution properly, you need proper training first.

We have created a system inside our company. I do a sort-of training for JIRA Portfolio. I have coached about 1,000 people. I would estimate that you need two hours of training for a JIRA team member and two additional hours for a JIRA administrator, or a project administrator, and about two additional hours on top of that for JIRA Portfolio. If we set up, it takes one day. And of course, after setup, users will have to practice on the system to get used to it.

We compared five different products last year, including JIRA Portfolio, BigPicture (which is another plugin available on the Atlassian marketplace), JIRA Align, and a Micro Focus Solution. We also looked at Planview, which we already use to forecast for budgeting purposes.

We chose JIRA Portfolio for two reasons: firstly, due to the fact that it was connected directly with to JIRA, so we have a direct synchronization between BigPicture and Jira Portfolio, and secondly because you don't have to really plan anything to make it happen.

The difference between JIRA Align and JIRA Portfolio is that JIRA Align is for a large company, for example, a multinational and when you want to aggregate several JIRA instances. As we have only one Jira instance, it's more accurate for us to take on something like JIRA Portfolio.

What other advice do I have?

In general, we are on a server configuration and not a cloud solution. That means, each year we have that specific version until we update it. I suppose since we have installed the JIRA Portfolio in January, it's the last version. However, I'm not sure.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

If the solution would work for others depends on the size of their company.

If we had to do the implementation again, we should have bought JIRA Portfolio at the same time as JIRA Core. I think we did a mistake by introducing JIRA Portfolio without it. When you buy JIRA Core, you have only three levels of subtask stories and epic in JIRA, and it's difficult for us to have only three different levels. With JIRA Portfolio, you can have as many additional levels as you want. We adopted a scaled agile model with squads and tribes. We need to implement a safe model instead.

We've since introduced, as a pilot, two additional levels as we believe it's better to have all level you need at the beginning of your project.

Senior Management Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Managing cards as a Kanban is very easy
  • "The way to manage cards as a KANBAN, is really easy but when you need to track hundreds of projects, you need to be very clear in which way the things must be completed."
  • "Another thing could be to have an easy way to manage the Portfolio and have more ways to share and to show graphics and reports"

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to establish agile teams and Release Mgmnt process. Jira was implemented, and also Portfolio but each team manages the app as they wanted. The tool is very open, which leads to a lot of error, confusion, and end problems. Then we set up a rule to manage it, based on best practices but if someone made an error therewas no way to avoid it. It is important to have a clear methodology from the company prior to start to use a tool like Jira.

How has it helped my organization?

It was very easy to load tasks, assign responsibility, due dates, etc. Also, it is easy to make follow-ups. The problem is that there is not a log to track how many times the same issue was created or how many times the issue changed the due date. This is a problem when you want to improve the way of work of your team.

Additionally, with Jira Portfolio, we had the possibility to track all the projects in the old way with some gannets but you need to be very careful with the filters. One wrong filter and the data is totally invalid

What is most valuable?

The way to manage cards as a Kanban is really easy but when you need to track hundreds of projects, you need to be very clear in which way the things must be completed. The versioning for coding the developments for me should be more restrictive. It must be set up in an alphanumeric and unique code for new developments, new functionalities, correctives, and evolutions.

There should be two ways at least to distinguish what is a technical task that will be used for Release (meaning to be deployed into production environments).

What needs improvement?

Some "help" on each tab should be included in the tool, for those people who do not have previous experience with it like how to filter part of the portfolio or project, how to easily set the versioning based on Release management best practices, and in my opinion, nobody should delete a task inside the team. There should be a log to track all movements of cards, any change on dates, due dates, responsibilities, etc.

We have been using JIRA Portfolio for nine months.

AvinashBais - PeerSpot reviewer
Agile Consultant at Capgemini
Enables us to track the live status of all the flows on one page and get a single view of our progress
  • "The solution is very stable."
  • "n the next version I would like to see better reporting and safer plugins, as well as easier scalability."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this program as backlog management using Kanban and Scrum and also to model service tickets.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by allowing us to create our own customization. We can track the live status of all the flows on one page and get a single view of our progress. Also, it gives us a quality overview.

What is most valuable?

The workflow configurations, Screen filed mapping and confluence integration of this solution are what I value most. Definitely there are multiple features to support this.

What needs improvement?

I would say that there's a lot of reporting on the dashboard so something that can be improved is the project level visibility because it is a little unclear. Especially when you compare it to JIRA Central.

I've been using this solution for around five years now on a private cloud.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability of this program is good but it can be improved on the Administration side.

I would say their support center is good and I would rate it a 3.5 out of 5. Every product has some pluses or minuses. So it takes a little time for things to get fixed and we always submit feedback and ask for improvements. Every product has its own backlog where we submit our request so that it gets prioritized properly. They build the product requirements based on the number of requests coming from a different client so I understand that sometimes it gets delayed.

We currently use three solutions simultaneously, namely JIRA, Rally, and Octane.

The initial setup was straightforward, but it is evolving towards complex now because there are many flows and many different projects. Reporting has to be done across all these projects. We use different tools for deployment.

What other advice do I have?

JIRA is a very flexible solution, so if you are a mid or small-sized team, it is very useful for the team. When you have a higher scale of work, I would say the portfolio management and the reporting need to improve. You either have to build your own solution on the APIs or you have to manage how you can configure in the current flows. My rating out of ten will be seven or eight.

In the next version, I would like to see better reporting and safer plugins, as well as easier scalability.

KishorAhire - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Technical Lead at Tieto Sweden AB
Provides a lot of plugins but it's not so user-friendly
  • "The customized workflows we can define are very valuable. JIRA's private projects is very useful as well. There are also a lot of plugins that they provide."
  • "I think their view needs to be more user friendly. The UI makes it difficult to find things. Secondly, the configuration is very complex. JIRA should help people find out what configuration they are using."

What is our primary use case?

We use JIRA for project management.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to implement the Kanban and Scrum methods using JIRA. That was a really good argument. We had been using the waterfall method, so this really helped us to get that out there to our general way of working.

What is most valuable?

The customized workflows we can define are very valuable. JIRA's private projects are very useful as well. There are also a lot of plugins that they provide.

What needs improvement?

I think their view needs to be more user-friendly. The UI makes it difficult to find things. Secondly, the configuration is very complex. JIRA should help people find out what configuration they are using.

There are many issues, but I would say the UI needs to be improved most. Also, some training documents need to be there with respect to their configuration. They don't have training documents easily available. You really need to figure it out by yourself. That is something they must improve.

We've been using this solution for six years.

It's quite stable. We have not had any problems.

It's scalable. We currently have 45 users, with six dev users and two people for maintenance.

We will keep on using it. Whether we expand our use depends on our entire portfolio and the product growth that we are catering to our customers.

It's not that good. I would give it a rating of three out of five, on the basis of price. They need to add improvements because it is not as easy to reach out to these people as necessary. I would expect them to have a call center or something, but they don't have one. We have to write down our messages and send them to support. It is not easy to solve our issues.

It was definitely complex to set up. It was difficult right from the start, by applying the project setting configurations. Popping up the custom fields and relating it to the workflows was also difficult. Identifying a security policy on top of that and adding the group was really complex, too.

Deployment took almost one month's time to set it up and get started.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as seven out of ten.

IT Department at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Excellent configuration, very good integration capabilities and a good selection of features overall
  • "The integration is very good. We've more or less integrated with everything including reporting and registering."
  • "The workflow needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for issue management.

What is most valuable?

The integration is very good. We've more or less integrated with everything including reporting and registering.

The configuration is excellent. The solution allows for the possibility to configure to your specifications. You can define projects separately, for example. If you want to configure anything, even to do a dashboard for a specific project, or user, or to define rights, etc., you can.

It's hard to say which one feature is the most important. There are many we find extremely useful.

What needs improvement?

The workflow needs improvement.

The product itself could be improved in many ways, but at the moment I don't have anything very specific to discuss.

It might be helpful to have a simple version of the solution built for a small number of users that would be fast and have a straightforward installation process.

I've been using the solution since 2012.

The solution is really stable.

The solution is big enough for what we need. We don't use it at a large scale but have anywhere from 100 to 1000 users.

We've never had to call technical support.

The initial setup is normal. We didn't find it very complex. Deployment can take a day or two to complete. However, a large scale project might take about a month if you get into a lot of specific configurations.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model.

I'd advise others to start with a good analysis of the solution before implementing it.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Sean Du Sart - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Makes it easy to collaborate but needs better integration with other tools
  • "The product makes it easy to collaborate even though it can use some improvement in that area."
  • "Some key features like integration, big data warehousing and data modeling need work."

What is our primary use case?

I work in hybrid technologies. Right now I work in service management. Our software disc space uses JIRA Portfolio. I've got a DevOps team and a team that works with operations. There are different elements within service management that we use JIRA to build team plans.

What is most valuable?

The number one feature is that the product makes it easier to collaborate. I think that is the most important point even though it is not perfect. Another point is that the interface is not exactly rocket science and it is fairly easy to learn. It is very much driven towards use like Microsoft or any of the other core applications available. For project and portfolio management and in terms of incident management — things like that — it is not that complex. To rate it on a scale of one to five as to what it needs to do in this category, I'd give it a four-out-of-five.

It is easy to get help from the community. So that is also a bonus. But that is like the situation with most software now.

What needs improvement?

I think to improve the product they need to work on integration. I think what I call heterogeneous integration into other tools will be important. It would be nice to work with data modeling from any tool. From an enterprise reporting perspective, you definitely want to be able to take core data, put it into any sort of raw database and be able to manipulate it to get the information you are looking for. I think the reporting side is probably where JIRA is not the strongest product in my view. Needed improvements just boil down to an improved integration.

I know it is always going to be a challenge to add new features, but I think better integration around Microsoft or other core applications would help. I think big data warehousing is important. Enabling RPA for the benefits that can offer would help as well.

I have been working with the product for the last five years.

Stability is debatable because you are not doing a lot of batch management. It depends on your operating system. The benefit of using a cloud implementation is that in an on-prem solution you are always responsible for maintaining your own infrastructure, hardware, backups, doing maintenance — all of those components. But that is not really a major issue for stability.

If a product is a true enterprise product, then scalability should never be an issue. If you are not working with an enterprise then you are doing a cloud-based solution and it is definitely scalable as well.

There are probably teams of around 50 in our organization, mostly made up of end-users. Obviously we have admin people and we had OEM support. But the solution is scalable to meet our needs.

We have mostly been satisfied with our customer support experience. Customization is a bit tricky, so you have got to really understand what you are trying to achieve. Technical support was able to help us through some issues.

If I look at just on your ITSMs (IT Service Management) side, I've used ServiceNow. Also, HP Service Manager.

I do not think the initial setup was complex.

We got maintenance support from our vendor. It included time and material when we made the contract for support.

When considering the product solutions, I was looking for functionality comparisons between an SDM (Service Desk Management) BMC (Baseboard Management Controller) remedy. I'm sort of interested to understand what are the major benefits or differences between those two. I think that was really where I was trying to just get some help. I've got a team of about 169 people in the project and I was just trying to see where I could get information very quickly without having to go to the vendors. A lot of resources just house people with more questions than answers.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for collaboration, then I would definitely recommend the product. It is one of the easiest and not very expensive.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate the products overall as a  seven. It could not get a ten. Seven leaves room for improvement.

PLM Development at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
We no longer have to reconcile data or deal with differences in multiple sources
  • "The product's centralized database creates a single source of data for working groups so no data needs to be reconciled."
  • "The product could do with more flexible reporting."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is issue tracking and planning.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped our organization by allowing us to stop using Excel. We now have one team source as a centralized database. We no longer have to reconcile data or deal with differences in multiple sources.

What is most valuable?

The best feature for us is that it is a centralized database. Everyone has access to it. It is a single source of tools. We no longer have to clumsily copy and reconcile Excel spreadsheets.

What needs improvement?

Generally, I'm a happy customer when it comes to this product. The product's speed could be improved. However, there is really no software that can ever be fast enough. I would like to see more flexible reporting and the ability to customize reports. If the pricing could be reconsidered by the company, that would be helpful to all users and organizations using the product.

On a scale of one to ten, one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate JIRA Portfolio as an eight. That is based on German skepticism. To be a ten is not even being a silver bullet, it's being a gold bullet. Very rare if it even exists. The only product I use that is a ten is TeX (or LaTeX). It is public domain software, 30 years old, absolutely stable, it never crashes, it uses a minimum amount of resources because it has no GUI. That is as close to perfect as a product can be.

We have been working with this solution for about twelve years

The product is very stable.

The potential for scaling the product is really good. The only real limitation is the pricing. The more you want to use, the more you have to pay, and the price increases over time.

We now have more than a thousand people in IT. Our company is around 130,000 people.

Personally, I have never had any problems with the product so I am not familiar with the technical support.

We previously used Excel, which is not a solution. We were a new company at the time and it was easy enough to manage through Excel. When our needs grew and it was impossible to use Excel, we changed to JIRA as a robust solution which we could use globally in our company.

The IT department in our company did the installation and set the database up for us so I had no real involvement in the setup.

We did not use consultants or a vendor team. We have a large in-house IT staff that did the deployment.

JIRA was inexpensive in the beginning when we first took the solution on. After we bought it, the prices went up. Scaling it as our company grew was a little like making purchases from a drug dealer: once you are hooked you pay whatever you have to. Atlassian is not the only company to raise their prices over time, so it is understandable. But it is much more expensive for us now.

What other advice do I have?

I like JIRA portfolio the most out of any tool I use for my job. It is my most favorite tool. It was easy to get used to using it and I highly recommend it. Personally, I say: use it. Go for it. Don't bother using other tools.

Realistically, it is good to look at the other options in the marketplace. There are many companies around offering add-ons, plug-ins, and applications that are quite good.

The biggest lesson I have learned in using JIRA is that you should not start with Excel. It is a good idea to evaluate your business plan and look forward to growth by choosing the right solution.

Steffen Bärschneider - PeerSpot reviewer
Test Manager at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Has a good dashboard and is user-friendly but the setup needs improvement
  • "The dashboard is the most valuable feature. The user experience is very good, it's easy to use."
  • "The initial setup could use improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we use the on-premises deployment model but we are moving to the cloud. Amazon is part of it but we are in the evaluation part. Our primary use case is for workflow and regression testing.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is the most valuable feature. The user experience is very good, it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The stakeholders have to decide to use JIRA and that's the problem. Not all the stakeholders are in touch with JIRA but we need their budget for the whole team to get the opportunity to use JIRA. It's not a problem with the tool, it's our organization. Some of the stakeholders have other opinions and they like to use other tools.

The initial setup could use improvement.

I have been using JIRA Portfolio for eleven years in total.

Stability is very good. It's an easy to use and nice tool. We wanted to and we have bought licenses. For the bank, we have 250 users at the moment. We will increase it up to 500 users.

For maintenance, at the moment we just have a crew that takes part in the maintenance. It's only one or two people.

We don't contact their technical support very often. Most of the things we do by ourselves, and we look for some videos on YouTube for such things. We are in a group and there we get some information about JIRA. For most things we need, we get our own information.

The initial setup was complex. We have Agile teams and we have classic teams and the waterfall development. We have to integrate both and we have to create a workflow that can be used for all of these aspects. Our governance in Germany for a bank is difficult. We have many things to keep in mind.

The deployment only takes two weeks but the difficulty is that we have many systems. Our old system is divided into 10 subsystems, so when we deploy we have to use other things. We must look for every single system. We'd like to integrate with JIRA but at the moment it's not in our book.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten. I don't know everything about the solution and every feature.

Co-Founder at up2metric P.C.
Our processes are more efficient and easier to be tracked which enables work to be more organized
  • "The developers can simplify tasks and each one of them can undertake a task and then they continue with development. Our processes are more efficient and easier for our manager and developers to track them. Their work is more organized."
  • "I think that front-end development is a little bit buggy in some cases. Some of the features take a while to respond and some need to be more clear."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for organizing our projects and as a tracking solution for our software projects.

How has it helped my organization?

Before JIRA, we used to organize our software with Bitbucket but now, with JIRA, it is more efficient to organize all the work in the timeline, make long-term plans for one or two months, know what our deadlines are, and write short summaries in the backlog. The developers can simplify tasks and each one of them can undertake a task and then they continue with development. Our processes are more efficient and easier for our manager and developers to track them. Their work is more organized.

What is most valuable?

We use all of the features. The most valuable features are the reporting of the speed of the team's progress and the long-term organization of our projects in the timeline.

What needs improvement?

I think that front-end development is a little bit buggy in some cases. Some of the features take a while to respond and some need to be more clear. Now we are using next-generation projects, so it's simpler to set the projects up than it was in the past. There is some work to be done there to have a clearer interface and workflow of how to organize a simple software project.

I have been using JIRA Portfolio ( /products/jira-portfolio-reviews ) for six months.

We have nine users using this solution. We do have plans to increase the usage. Gradually, all of the people on our team will use it and even more when a new developer or new employee comes to the company. We spend time getting familiar with JIRA then we organize the work to be done in the day in JIRA.

I only needed technical support once. We got a very specific and straightforward answer. From that experience they were good and very efficient.

We were previously using Atlassian Bitbucket. Bitbucket is only good for tracking down issues but it is not helpful to organize everything and see how fast you are proceeding. With JIRA, there are a lot more features actually managing a project.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have nine people using it so we have a standard cost of approximately $150 dollar per year. There are only additional costs if you exceed the limit of users, then you start paying by user. The cost is significantly higher.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely suggest going for it.

I would rate JIRA Portfolio an eight out of ten. To make it a perfect ten it should have a better user interface, be more clear, and more responsive.

Serge Pflumio - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at YggVal
A user-friendly solution that adapts to the customer's needs, but flexible add-on pricing is needed
  • "With JIRA, you can do amazing things by developing connectors, embedding features, and adding new fields to create new things."
  • "This solution is not able to be integrated with other solutions because you have to upgrade it and pay for more licensing."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is to manage the work that has to be done, everything else is on a repository that is maintained by another tool.

It's how the work has been designed at the beginning of the project. We have one repository where we store all of the requirements, the testing, and all of the activity trackings are done in JIRA.

The deployment model was on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

There hasn't been an improvement because we were using JIRA solutions before.

What is most valuable?

It is difficult to narrow it down to features. It's one solution as a whole and to point out certain features is complicated.

What needs improvement?

There could be many things that could be improved but we haven't been working with it long enough to accurately find the weak points.

The pricing of add-ons could be improved. You should have the option to pay only for the users concerned, that would be fine, because of the dashboards everybody has access to the dashboard.

This solution is not able to be integrated with other solutions because you have to upgrade it and pay for more licensing.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

I have not had any experience with customer service or technical support.

Our IT department handles this area.

Our IT department completed the initial setup, so I am not sure how complex it was.

The implementation was done through our IT department.

The pricing of the solution is expensive.

When you install any add-on, you have to pay for each and everyone who is declared on the system in order to have the add-on working. If you have anywhere from one hundred to five hundred users and even if you only have two hundred users using this solution, you have to pay for them all.

We evaluated other options but JIRA was already in place, which is one of the reasons we stayed with JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

We are dealing with several products and clients, and each product has it's good points and it's weak points.

I don't have an opinion because I think that a good process does the job and you can apply a good process to any tool.

The tools are more and more user-friendly. Even JIRA.

When you want to implement something, keep it simple and it will work.

With JIRA, you can do amazing things by developing connectors, embedding features, and adding new fields to create new things.

In the end, it needs to fit the process. If the process is of poor quality, then your tool will look poor.

For the most part, with several tools, you can do nearly anything.

JIRA is a good tool. Perhaps a little bit too much to configure and adapt, because it can be adapted to any kind of customer's needs and it's not dedicated to a specific solution, but it does the job.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

SantiagoMalinowski - PeerSpot reviewer
Agile Coach at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good graphics and charts but we need a custom and limited dashboard for our customers to use
  • "The graphics and the resolution of the work are very good."
  • "If I get a feature but there is not a user story, and I want to know which epic it belongs to, it is really hard to figure out."

What is our primary use case?

We are in a very large company and I am an Agile Coach in our department.

What is most valuable?

All of the charts, including the Burndown chart, are very useful for us.

The graphics and the resolution of the work are very good.

The JIRA command line is also a very valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have an option for a secure board that we can give to our clients that would allow them to see certain aspects during development, but not so much that they can steal all of our information. A dashboard specifically for customers would improve this solution.

Sometimes I have a customer-solution in addition to the more general solution. I would like to be able to differentiate these using perhaps a different color.

If I get a feature but there is not a user story, and I want to know which epic it belongs to, it is really hard to figure out.

It is hard to work from the bottom up. If you tap on your epic you can see its features, and if you open its features you can see user stores. If you go on, if you are going from top to bottom, it works well. However, if you want to go from the bottom up, it is very hard to do.

I have been using this solution for six months.

The stability of this solution is good enough.

The scalability is ok and we have had no problem with it.

We have used JIRA in this company for many years but we just recently started in this department. In this department, we used to use another solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Lead IT Transformation Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
My primary use case for this solution is for resourcing capacity managements. When embedding Jira Portfolio in a complete HLI cycle, I'm missing things to evaluate my ethic into my value stream.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for Jira Portfolio is mainly resourcing capacity managements.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows me to do the capacity management and it allows me to qualify my ethics, and that's what the capabilities I was searching for in a solution like Jira Portfolio.

What needs improvement?

When I want to embed Jira Portfolio in a complete HLI cycle, I'm missing things to evaluate my ethic into my value stream.

Three to five years.

In a PC environment, it is quite stable.

For the scalability, in my opinion, with Jira Portfolio you don't need to scale that much because it's only used by management itself.

I did not have an experience with technical support of this solution.

I was not involved with the initial setup of the product.

When evaluating a product like this, make sure to consider:

• Capabilities
  • Goals
  • Drives

This solution has a comparable pricing in comparison to other similar products on the market.

We considered ALM Octane. The price of Jira and ALM Octane is comparable. We also looked at Micro Focus and CA PPM.

Download our free JIRA Portfolio Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022