IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

JIRA Portfolio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

JIRA Portfolio is #6 ranked solution in top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools. PeerSpot users give JIRA Portfolio an average rating of 8 out of 10. JIRA Portfolio is most commonly compared to Smartsheet: JIRA Portfolio vs Smartsheet. JIRA Portfolio is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
JIRA Portfolio Buyer's Guide

Download the JIRA Portfolio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is JIRA Portfolio?

The agile portfolio management tool, built for JIRA.

With Portfolio for JIRA, you can plan and forecast a realistic roadmap, make data-informed decisions when the unexpected happens, and keep everyone in the know.

JIRA Portfolio was previously known as Portfolio for JIRA.

JIRA Portfolio Customers

Rosetta Stone, Sprint, UBS, Workday, Expedia, J.P. Morgan

JIRA Portfolio Video

JIRA Portfolio Pricing Advice

What users are saying about JIRA Portfolio pricing:
  • "We pay our fees annually, although monthly payments are also available."
  • "We have a license to use JIRA Portfolio, we are not using the free version."
  • JIRA Portfolio Reviews

Project Manager at Allianz
    Good documentation, good visualization of tickets, and relatively stable
    • "The documentation is very well done."
    • "JIra is very poor at reporting."

What is most valuable?

With JIRA Portfolio, you can do your portfolio after projects and right away you are able to see all the tickets of your portfolio. You can change the project which belongs in the portfolio at any moment and you can do any simulation you want. You can have many scenarios, and, when we agree with the scenario, we can push the scenario inside to JIRA. The documentation is very well done.

What needs improvement?

Today, when we want to prepare PI planning, we have a dedicated plugin, which allows us to print a ticket. We have beautiful tickets which is an advantage. We can print tickets and put them right on the wall. It's better for PI planning due to the fact that you can read information, and it's always written in the same way. On each ticket, you can see priority, version, et cetera, always written in the same way. If you write it directly, however, it's not always readable. JIRA Portfolio can help you during PI planning because you can write your dependencies directly.  However, it would be better if you didn't have this manual part of the process. If we don't have to print a ticket and to put a ticket on the wall, it would be easier. It's very difficult, for example, for sizeable companies to find large rooms to do PI planning. With coronavirus, we have to work from home. PI planning needs to be re-imagined. It needs to be virtual, not physical. It would be better if it was more like Klaxon, where your ticket is pushed to a blackboard. JIRA is very poor at reporting.

I've been using the solution since the beginning of this year. It's been just over six months.

We introduced JIRA in 2018 and since then we haven't had any issues with stability. In my opinion, two years isn't a sufficient amount of time to really gauge stability, however, that said, it's never given us trouble.
    JIRA Portfolio
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about JIRA Portfolio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have about 2,000 people in the company using the solution.

We have reached out to technical support in the past, however, we prefer to use Google or search the forum. In fact, if you send a request to Atlassian, it's like throwing a bottle into the sea and waiting on a response. If I send a ticket directly to the expanded portal, I have a response 24 hours later, and if I send a ticket to Atlassian on JIRA Core, I'll get a response maybe one month later. It's easier, therefore, to search for a solution yourself than to expect a response from Atlassian.

In order to set up the solution properly, you need proper training first. We have created a system inside our company. I do a sort-of training for JIRA Portfolio. I have coached about 1,000 people. I would estimate that you need two hours of training for a JIRA team member and two additional hours for a JIRA administrator, or a project administrator, and about two additional hours on top of that for JIRA Portfolio. If we set up, it takes one day. And of course, after setup, users will have to practice on the system to get used to it.

We compared five different products last year, including JIRA Portfolio, BigPicture (which is another plugin available on the Atlassian marketplace), JIRA Align, and a Micro Focus Solution. We also looked at Planview, which we already use to forecast for budgeting purposes. We chose JIRA Portfolio for two reasons: firstly, due to the fact that it was connected directly with to JIRA, so we have a direct synchronization between BigPicture and Jira Portfolio, and secondly because you don't have to really plan anything to make it happen. The difference between JIRA Align and JIRA Portfolio is that JIRA Align is for a large company, for example, a multinational and when you want to aggregate several JIRA instances. As we have only one Jira instance, it's more accurate for us to take on something like JIRA Portfolio.

What other advice do I have?

In general, we are on a server configuration and not a cloud solution. That means, each year we have that specific version until we update it. I suppose since we have installed the JIRA Portfolio in January, it's the last version. However, I'm not sure. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall. If the solution would work for others depends on the size of their company.  If we had to do the implementation again, we should have bought JIRA Portfolio at the same time as JIRA Core. I think we did a mistake by introducing JIRA Portfolio without it. When you buy JIRA Core, you have only three levels of subtask stories and epic in JIRA, and it's difficult for us to have only three different levels. With JIRA Portfolio, you can have as many additional levels as you want. We adopted a scaled agile model with squads and tribes. We need to implement a safe model instead. We've since introduced, as a pilot, two additional levels as we believe it's better to have all level you need at the beginning of your project.
    Software Developer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Handled SDLC from end-to-end and fits well into an Agile environment
    • "The most valuable feature is that it fits very well into an agile framework, and it is especially helpful with the planning aspects."
    • "Converting a task into an epic is very troublesome."

What is our primary use case?

I am a software developer and we use this product for end-to-end SDLC. It begins with the requirements gathering, then continues with tracking features and planning our sprints. We also use it for tracking bugs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it fits very well into an agile framework, and it is especially helpful with the planning aspects. For example, if you create a new ticket, issue, or feature, then you classify it accordingly and you can assign it to an ongoing sprint.

You can look at the sprint backlog to see what features are planned, how many are in progress, and how many have been completed. This helps during reviews because you can get information about the velocity of the team. If somebody should leave the team for a while, or are otherwise unavailable for work, then the velocity calculations are readjusted.

What needs improvement?

Converting a task into an epic is very troublesome. As it is now, if you make the mistake of creating the wrong thing then you just have to delete it and start again. If you could convert between things such as features and tasks then it would be helpful.

I have been using the Jira Portfolio for about four years.

We use Jira on a daily basis and I cannot recall having any issues with stability.

It is easy to scale but of course, the problem is that it needs licenses. As the licenses fit into a plan, it can be kind of tricky. When you want to procure additional licenses, it is a long path.

For example, if you have licenses for 50 users and you see that you need a license for another 10, then you can't just purchase a small number. At a certain point, you have to move up to 500 users, which is quite a jump.

Currently, we have about 60 users.

I have not been in contact with their technical support team, although I do go through the community forums. I get details on new features that are going to be released and other such information, but I have not had to contact support for any specific issue.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Somebody who knows Agile well will have no difficulty with Jira. On the other hand, somebody new to Agile may face some problems in the beginning.

We do not have any dedicated staff for maintenance. For the operation of it, we do have a facilitator and a scrum master who manages things for each project. However, maintenance is very straightforward. We don't need a full-time administrator working on it. A couple of people working part-time can take care of it.

Internally, people within a project may need some help when it comes to things like planning. In this case, they will get help from the scrum master.

We pay our fees annually, although monthly payments are also available.

What other advice do I have?

From a developer's perspective, this tool works fine and I don't have any complaints other than wanting to convert between features, tasks, etc, when a mistake has been made in creating one.

The only advice that I have for people who are implementing Jira Portfolio is to make sure that they manage their licenses properly.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

JIRA Portfolio
    June 2022
    610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Business analyst
    The Kanban boards help us monitor daily tasks, and we review the progress using the burndown charts
    • "Jira's Structure, agile, and Kanban boards are helpful. I also like JQuery, which allows you to fetch the relevant set of data. We use JQuery, JQL, and the Structure board a lot. Kanban boards help us monitor daily tasks, and we review the progress using the burndown charts."
    • "Jira has room for improvement in terms of managing various projects and linking requirements centrally under one project. They could include some add-ons that enable you to link all the requirements and put them into a centralized place. That central place should be restricted to a limited set of users with privileges based on user groups with those rights."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira to manage the software development lifecycle. We create a project in Jira and capture the requirements at various levels, including epics, features, objectives, stories, defects, etc. One hierarchy can have multiple levels that can be linked, so requirements are more traceable.

What is most valuable?

Jira's Structure, agile, and Kanban boards are helpful. I also like JQuery, which allows you to fetch the relevant set of data. We use JQuery, JQL, and the Structure board a lot. Kanban boards help us monitor daily tasks, and we review the progress using the burndown charts.

What needs improvement?

Jira has room for improvement in terms of managing various projects and linking requirements centrally under one project. They could include some add-ons that enable you to link all the requirements and put them into a centralized place. That central place should be restricted to a limited set of users with privileges based on user groups with those rights.

I would also like if Jira had a centralized space for accessing project-specific documents. Furthermore, they could enhance the graphs and charts to make them more presentable.

We've been using Jira for around nine years.

Jira's code is excellent. I can quite export using Jira and smoothly use any of its features or link it with other tools to build a chart. I often use Confluence to depict our team's progress on a project.

Scalability is one of Jira's main advantages. When demand increases and an organization needs more space, Jira can support it. It provides several add-ons and connectors to link to Jira with other tools like Confluence, Excel, or various other options. We have more than 1,000 people using it.

I have never had issues using Jira, so I've never contacted support.

Setting up Jira is straightforward.

I believe we pay a monthly license for Jira, but I don't know the precise cost. I think it's dependent on how much space the organization uses. The vendor may offer a range of pricing options based on the organization's requirements.

Jira is the standard across the globe. This is the market leader for maintaining or managing software development, and it has cost advantages over other available tools.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Jira Portfolio nine out of 10. Jira is the best tool in the market, but it still has room for improvement. At the same time, it's pretty easy to understand. There is a lot of documentation and videos online, so anyone can quickly learn various features.

I recommend Jira Portfolio for big organizations that want to maintain the software requirements. Jira's cost may be too high for smaller organizations, but several cheaper options are available.

Line Technical Agent at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable, easy to deploy, and has good integration
    • "The feature that we like the most is that JIRA enables modules. Atlassian provides a lot of products around JIRA, such as compliance for the documentation, BitBucket for the Git version. We are new to these products developed by Atlassian, but they can integrate very easily. Generally, when an editor is developing a solution, they think about integrating with JIRA. When we are looking for any other solution, they plan to easily integrate with JIRA."
    • "We would love to be able to have direct contact with Atlassian. Currently, they are not working directly with West African countries. We are considering using JIRA Align, but when we contact them, they say that as we are in West Africa, they don't directly work with West Africa."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to manage an agile project. We are putting JIRA on our backlog, and we are following the work in progress with the Kanban board.

We have generated a lot of dashboard in-reporting with JIRA Portfolio to monitor the performance of our direction and our projects team. We have a license for 250 users, and we are going to get a license for 500 users.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we like the most is that JIRA enables modules.

Atlassian provides a lot of products around JIRA, such as compliance for the documentation, BitBucket for the Git version. We are new to these products developed by Atlassian, but they can integrate very easily. Generally, when an editor is developing a solution, they think about integrating with JIRA. When we are looking for any other solution, they plan to easily integrate with JIRA.

What needs improvement?

We would love to be able to have direct contact with Atlassian. Currently, they are not working directly with West African countries. We are considering using JIRA Align, but when we contact them, they say that as we are in West Africa, they don't directly work with West Africa.

We have been using JIRA Portfolio for about four years, since 2016.

It is very stable. We had only one issue, but it was not related to JIRA.

We didn't have to get in touch with the support team. Generally, when we have an issue, we go to the community, and we are able to resolve it very fast.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The deployment is very easy. We easily do it ourselves without any help. We have a team of two to three people.

What other advice do I have?

Doing digital transformation is difficult. It's not regarding JIRA. It's difficult to change the mindset of our teams to be more agile and to adapt JIRA as a new way of working. We have to change the mindset and the mentality of the teams with a new way of working so that we can move forward. JIRA will help us to be more agile because JIRA is built for agile teams.

We had to work with a consulting team based in France to help us with the organization of the process. Atlassian doesn't directly work with West African countries. So, we had to work with a French company.

I would rate JIRA Portfolio an eight out of ten.

Senior Management Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    Managing cards as a Kanban is very easy
    • "The way to manage cards as a KANBAN, is really easy but when you need to track hundreds of projects, you need to be very clear in which way the things must be completed."
    • "Another thing could be to have an easy way to manage the Portfolio and have more ways to share and to show graphics and reports"

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to establish agile teams and Release Mgmnt process. Jira was implemented, and also Portfolio but each team manages the app as they wanted. The tool is very open, which leads to a lot of error, confusion, and end problems. Then we set up a rule to manage it, based on best practices but if someone made an error therewas no way to avoid it. It is important to have a clear methodology from the company prior to start to use a tool like Jira.

How has it helped my organization?

It was very easy to load tasks, assign responsibility, due dates, etc. Also, it is easy to make follow-ups. The problem is that there is not a log to track how many times the same issue was created or how many times the issue changed the due date. This is a problem when you want to improve the way of work of your team.

Additionally, with Jira Portfolio, we had the possibility to track all the projects in the old way with some gannets but you need to be very careful with the filters. One wrong filter and the data is totally invalid

What is most valuable?

The way to manage cards as a Kanban is really easy but when you need to track hundreds of projects, you need to be very clear in which way the things must be completed. The versioning for coding the developments for me should be more restrictive. It must be set up in an alphanumeric and unique code for new developments, new functionalities, correctives, and evolutions.

There should be two ways at least to distinguish what is a technical task that will be used for Release (meaning to be deployed into production environments).

What needs improvement?

Some "help" on each tab should be included in the tool, for those people who do not have previous experience with it like how to filter part of the portfolio or project, how to easily set the versioning based on Release management best practices, and in my opinion, nobody should delete a task inside the team. There should be a log to track all movements of cards, any change on dates, due dates, responsibilities, etc.

We have been using JIRA Portfolio for nine months.

AMITKUMAR26 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Human Resources at CollegeDekho
    Feature rich, high availability, and useful management
    • "The most valuable feature of the JIRA Portfolio is the many features it provides, such as code integration, documentation, roadmap, and Eclipse. The solution is useful for product managers."
    • "JIRA Portfolio could improve new implementation because if I want integration for the complete wide frame tools it cannot provide any wide frame tools."

What is our primary use case?

We are using JIRA Portfolio for business estimates and you can attract your product in a very well manner.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the JIRA Portfolio is the many features it provides, such as code integration, documentation, roadmap, and Eclipse. The solution is useful for product managers.

What needs improvement?

JIRA Portfolio could improve new implementation because if I want integration for the complete wide frame tools it cannot provide any wide frame tools.

In a future release of JIRA Portfolio, they should add more general features to make it easier for project management.

I have been using JIRA Portfolio for approximately eight years.

JIRA Portfolio is a stable solution because it is on the cloud and it is one of the main reasons we chose it.

The scalability of the JIRA Portfolio is good. If you want to add more users you will only need to purchase the ability to have more users.

We have approximately 50 people using its solution in my organization. The users consist of managers, field workers, operational managers, and other teams. Everyone from junior to senior level is using it.

I have not needed to use the support.

The initial setup of the JIRA Portfolio is in the medium range of difficulty. We needed some training to be provided to our teammates. However, after the training, we were more capable. Without the training, we could not access very much or assign any product.

The setup of the JIRA Portfolio is continuous, it has taken us eight years.

We have a license to use JIRA Portfolio, we are not using the free version.

We needed complete visualization for our product which JIRA Portfolio was very capable of. As a product tracking tool, it was very good.

What other advice do I have?

Whether or not this solution will be a benefit to your project depends on a lot of factors, such as your requirement.

I rate JIRA Portfolio a nine out of ten.

Senior Application Development Specialist at Accenture
    Reliable and customizable with responsive technical support
    • "Its stability is very reliable."
    • "It would be nice if it could provide an end-to-end solution for a project."

What is most valuable?

There are several features that I like. For example, the way we can categorize the statuses of our tasks is great. We can build any number of columns to show the different status of the progress status of our task.

It is customizable and offers great integration with other products, like HP or ASD portals or any other third-party portal.

The solution can scale.

Its stability is very reliable.

Technical support is always responsive.

What needs improvement?

I don't much have developer insight into the Jira tool, however, it would be nice if it could provide an end-to-end solution for a project. For example, I'm from the SAP field. In SAP, we have something called SAP Chart or Solution Manager, and there you can create tickets and you can monitor the progress. You can manage the end-to-end scenario from development to go-live. If those features could be incorporated into Jira, it'll be a full package.

I've been using the solution for three or four years at this point.

The stability has been great overall. O haven't dealt with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash. It's reliable.

We have found the scalability to be good. If you need to expand Jira, you can.

Technical support has been pretty good. Whenever we face an issue, we have an email with an ID number was can share with the Jira support. Instantly we get an acknowledgment that the issue has been received and they're working on it.

I'm more of an end-user and therefore I was not involved in the initial setup.

There were a few colleagues that handled the initial implementation.

I don't have any details in terms of licensing or costs.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user. I'm not overly technical.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Assyr Carvalho Junior Carvalho Junior - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect Leader at e-Core
    Reseller
    Great management capabilities with good reliability and an easy initial setup
    • "We have found the solution to be stable."
    • "The HR aspect of the solution could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

With Jira software, I can implement DevOps. The Jira Software Management is a part of the ITSM, incident management, for the principal features of the software. It's basically used for DevOps and the ITSM.

What is most valuable?

I like the Jira Software Management. You can attend to many areas for the customer. For example, I can support IT as well as the financial areas. Jira Software Management is very important for the customers for this reason.

The initial setup process is simple.

We have found the solution to be stable.

It is highly scalable due to the cloud.

Technical support has been great.

What needs improvement?

The HR aspect of the solution could be improved.

I've used the solution for one year. I started to work with Jira when I started with my organization.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Scaling is easy as the software work in the cloud. That makes it very simple to scale the software. It's no problem.

We have a lot of users on the solution currently.

Technical support is good. they have been helpful and responsive for the most part.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We have found the implementation process to be simple and straightforward. the setup is not hard. I'd rate it a four out of five for ease of use.

The deployment takes about two months. Of course, it depends on the customer and varies a bit.

I do not have any knowledge of the licensing cost.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Jira.

It's important to know about the database. It is important to know about databases for implementing Jira Software Management.

I'd rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Download our free JIRA Portfolio Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022