InfluxDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

InfluxDB is the #5 ranked solution in top NoSQL Databases, #38 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools, and #38 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give InfluxDB an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. InfluxDB is most commonly compared to MongoDB: InfluxDB vs MongoDB. InfluxDB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is InfluxDB?

InfluxDB is open-source software that helps developers and enterprises alike to collect, store, process, and visualize time series data and to build next-generation applications. InfluxDB provides monitoring and insight on IoT, application, system, container, and infrastructure quickly and easily without complexities or compromises in scale, speed, or productivity.

InfluxDB has become a popular insight system for unified metrics and events enabling the most demanding SLAs. InfluxDB is used in just about every type of industry across a wide range of use cases, including network monitoring, IoT monitoring, industrial IoT, and infrastructure and application monitoring.

InfluxDB offers its users:

• Infrastructure and application monitoring: Collect, process, and analyze real-time data from edge devices to help optimize distributed infrastructure.
  • IoT monitoring and analytics: InfluxDB is designed to store large volumes of time series data and quickly perform real-time analysis on that data. Gain insights from all the sensor data and use the collected data to create and perform automated tasks.
  • Network monitoring: Manage responsive and high-performing networks with widely distributed resources.

InfluxDB Benefits

There are several benefits to using InfluxDB . Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• APIs and ready toolset: InfluxDB can be accessed via a set of powerful tools enabling users to get started quickly, with less programming required. This includes a REST API, extensive client libraries, a wide variety of open-source integrations, and Flux - a functional data scripting language for querying, analysis, and events. The InfluxDB API can be used to write data from edge devices to the InfluxDB instance
  • Time series engine: Get any data - events, logs, traces - from any edge device - systems, sensors, queues, databases, and networks. This data is stored in a powerful and high-performing engine capable of ingesting millions of data points per second.
  • Community: InfluxDB has a large community of cloud and open-source developers ready to assist users.
  • Ready-made templates: Use InfluxDB Templates, a set of tools with a packager and other ready monitoring solutions. These tools allow users to share their monitoring expertise with coworkers and other community members around the world. The Templates gallery offers available templates for some of the most popular tools and applications.
  • Enhanced UI: InfluxDB’s UI includes an explorer, dashboarding tools, and a script editor. Use it to easily browse the collected metric and event data and apply common transformations. The dashboarding tool comes with a variety of visualization options that help users view insights from the data. The script editor assists users to quickly master Flux with easily accessible examples, auto-completion, and real-time syntax checking.

Reviews from Real Users

InfluxDB stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its flexible integration options and its data aggregation feature.

Shalauddin Ahamad S., a software engineer at a tech services company, notes, “The most valuable features are aggregating the data and the integration with Grafana for monitoring.”

InfluxDB Customers

ebay, AXA, Mozilla, DiDi, LeTV, Siminars, Cognito, ProcessOut, Recommend, CATS, Smarsh, Row 44, Clustree, Bleemeo

InfluxDB Video

InfluxDB Pricing Advice

What users are saying about InfluxDB pricing:
  • "We are using the open-source version of InfluxDB."
  • "InfluxDB is open-source, but there are additional costs for scaling."
  • InfluxDB Reviews

PedroCampos - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior DevOps at Light And Wonder
    A powerful, lightweight time series database with a simple query language and easy setup
    • "In our case, it started with a necessity to fill the gap that we had in monitoring. We had very reactive monitoring without trend analysis and without some advanced features. We were able to implement them by using a time series database. We are able to have all the data from applications, logs, and systems, and we can use a simple query language to correlate all the data and make things happen, especially with monitoring. We could more proactively monitor our systems and our players' trends."
    • "In terms of features that I would like to see or have, in the community version, some features are not available. I would like to have clustering and authentication in the community version."

What is our primary use case?

Our usage of Influx is very specific. We use it for our casino stack and applications. We use it for monitoring, logging, and metrics and trend analysis for player wagering. It is for casino data. We correlate all that data and generate reports for data warehousing. So, we use it massively in our stack for the casino for a lot of things.

We haven't yet migrated to Influx 2.0. We are still using Influx 1.8 because we have multiple workloads in production. It is going to take some time, and we need to ensure that the latest one is stable and the framework also brings a lot of different languages.

We use it on-premise and in the cloud. We have both. It is a private cloud on AWS.

How has it helped my organization?

In our case, it started with a necessity to fill the gap that we had in monitoring. We had very reactive monitoring without trend analysis and without some advanced features. We were able to implement them by using a time series database. We are able to have all the data from applications, logs, and systems, and we can use a simple query language to correlate all the data and make things happen, especially with monitoring. We could more proactively monitor our systems and our players' trends.

We can integrate it with everything. It has an API. We can put any data there. We are developing apps. We are creating scripts. We are doing lots of things. There are different ways to configure it. As a database, it just has to ensure that data is there, and it is properly stored with the tags, fields, measurement names, and time stamps. The focus is that the data that you put in there is perfectly stored.

What is most valuable?

I use Kapacitor a lot. It is the feature that allows us to create batch jobs and interact with the data that we have. That's the most interesting feature.

The query language is very similar to SQL, which is very useful because most of us have a background in SQL language.

They have the Telegraf agent that gets the data and puts it in Influx. We can also put data into Influx through the API. We are doing a lot of custom-based agents and a lot of scripts that are adding data to Influx. As a time series database, it is very powerful and lightweight. It can deal with heavy workloads very easily. That, for me, is the main advantage of Influx as compared to other databases.

What needs improvement?

Influx has TICK Stack, which contains multiple services and multiple products that work together. InfluxDB is just a time series database, and it works really well. I haven't yet had the time to look into the new stack based on Influx 2.0, but currently, as a time series database, InfluxDB is working the way it is supposed to work.

I would also like to have high availability features, such as replication, active-active, etc. If they can put an extra plugin or service on top of it, it would be something interesting. I am not sure if they have high availability to make it data center-aware for clustering. For example, I am not sure whether you can have it at different locations with big clusters that are location-aware. Even in their documentation or presentation, they talk too little about high availability and extended clusters with different locations. They might already have it in the newer versions. We have Influx 1.8 in our production in the stage and internal workloads environments.

The other products in their ecosystem, such as Chronograf, can be improved. Chronograf is a dashboarding or visualization layer product, and that, for sure, can be improved.

Network Monitoring Software
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about InfluxData, Microsoft, Zabbix and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: November 2022.
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this for five years.

I really like it. I always recommend the stack to lots of friends I have in other places. It is really good, and it helped us a lot.

We will see scalability with the new version. In terms of its users, everything is automated. So, there are almost zero users. Admins and DevOps are the only ones that go to Influx to manage or implement any kind of tweaks, improvements, or developments, but it touches almost everyone, which includes managers who do reports regarding the business, data warehousing, our 24/7 teams for monitoring, developers, and system administrators. They go to Grafana, and they have all the dashboards for system availability and everything else. It touches almost everyone.

It is being used extensively. As the business grows and we create a new environment, a huge part of the management of that environment comes from Influx. It is one of the primary stacks that we build for monitoring and reporting. Because everything is in Influx, it always comes first.

I did a search and used the community forums and help, but I never had to contact them. Their community is really big, helpful, and active. It is very easy to just go to their support site and search for solutions or ask questions. That's another thing where they are very good.

We mainly went from Icinga. It is like Nagios. So, we were using Nagios monitoring, but because the monitoring was so reactive, we wanted something new that could help us with the business requirements. We needed something that could host the metrics and data from multiple sources and can be used to correlate. It was because of the necessity we moved away from Nagios, which is very focused on systems monitoring, to something that uses a time series database and has a simple SQL query language that we can use to correlate data and create trends.

We implemented everything. The setup is straightforward. There is a learning curve, but the setup is very easy. They have repositories for most distributions. You just have to install from a binary, and the entire stack of Influx is up and running. For most operating systems, they already have repositories that allow you to just install it with one command. I would rate it a ten out of ten in terms of ease of setup.

In terms of duration, deploying InfluxDB took minutes. It is like installing an app on your laptop. It is very easy and quick to deploy InfluxDB, but deploying what we have has been an ongoing process for the last five years.

I implemented it myself. In terms of maintenance, it is very lightweight. We just ensure that Influx doesn't get any updates other than the security updates that are always coming from the repository. It is very simple to maintain and update.

I went straight to Influx. I came across Influx, and I tried it, tested it, and learned a little bit more about it. I saw that this would do what we needed and meet our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

It depends a lot on what you are going to use it for but just enjoy it. It is very powerful. I would advise learning the TICKscript language. I know that the latest Influx 2.0 is using a different language than Influx SQL, but I would advise learning how to develop using their framework. You will see how powerful it is to use for a big data cluster. So, explore the batch processing and the scripting language that they have in 2.0. We use TICKscript, which is very powerful and allows you to do everything you need.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Semyon Vasilkov - PeerSpot reviewer
    DevOps Team Lead at Innotech
    Effective performance, useful documentation, but more query languages compatibility needed
    • "The most valuable features of InfluxDB are the documentation and performance, and the good plugins metrics in the ecosystem."
    • "InfluxDB can improve by including new metrics on other technologies. They had some changes recently to pool data from endpoints but the functionality is not good enough in the industry."

What is our primary use case?

We use InfluxDB for monitoring all services we have. We have a lot of services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of InfluxDB are the documentation and performance, and the good plugins metrics in the ecosystem.

What needs improvement?

InfluxDB can improve by including new metrics on other technologies. They had some changes recently to pool data from endpoints but the functionality is not good enough in the industry.

In the next release, it would be beneficial if they added more query language compatibility it is critical for us.

I have been using InfluxDB for approximately one year.

The stability of InfluxDB is good. However, it is similar to most solutions, you have to check the volume metric regularly that you use.

We have approximately 50 people using the solution in the organization.

The support from InfluxDB could improve because I contacted them about some features and they did not get back to me. It has been over one month.

The initial setup of InfluxDB is easy. It took a couple of days for the full implementation.

We are using the open-source version of InfluxDB.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend InfluxDB but proceed with caution. They have to have knowledge about the solution.

I rate InfluxDB a seven out of ten.

Network Monitoring Software
    November 2022
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Vamsi Krushna Lingala - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Data Engineer at Chingari
    Powerful solution but doesn't support high-cardinality data
    • "InfluxDB's best feature is that it's a cloud offering. Other good features include its time-series DB, fast time-bulk queries, and window operations."
    • "InfluxDB cannot be used for high-cardinality data. It's also difficult and time-consuming to write queries, and there are some issues with bulk API."

What is our primary use case?

I use InfluxDB for querying based on time ranges and window operations.

What is most valuable?

InfluxDB's best feature is that it's a cloud offering. Other good features include its time-series DB, fast time-bulk queries, and window operations.

What needs improvement?

InfluxDB cannot be used for high-cardinality data. It's also difficult and time-consuming to write queries, and there are some issues with bulk API.

I've been using InfluxDB for a year.

InfluxDB is stable.

InfluxDB is scalable, but if you want to scale it on an enterprise level, you'll have to spend lots of money on licenses.

The initial setup is easy, but it takes time at first to understand and set up InfluxDB.

InfluxDB is open-source, but there are additional costs for scaling.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend going with the cloud version of InfluxDB, as it's very cheap and effective. InfluxDB is very powerful, but it requires some technical skill and can't be used by just anyone. I would rate InfluxDB seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about InfluxData, Microsoft, Zabbix, and more!
    Updated: November 2022