IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IIS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IIS is #3 ranked solution in top Application Server tools and #5 ranked solution in top Application Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give IIS an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. IIS is most commonly compared to NGINX Plus: IIS vs NGINX Plus. IIS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.

Download the Application Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is IIS?
Internet Information Services (IIS) provides a secure, easy-to-manage, modular and extensible platform for reliably hosting websites, services and applications. With IIS, you get choice and control without giving up reliability or security.

IIS was previously known as Windows Server IIS.

IIS Customers
Erste Bank Group, NJVC, Samsung Electronics, Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, Tata Steel Europe, Urban Software Institute
IIS Video

IIS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IIS pricing:
"The price of Windows Server IIS is expensive. They have a large user base, and they charge a little bit too much."

IIS Reviews

Senior Administrator - Windows at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
The interface, simplicity, and ease of management lend flexibility to this configurable solution
  • "The interface, simplicity, and ease of management are all good features that make this user-friendly."
  • "Scalability issues and security concerns need attention from Microsoft."

What is our primary use case?

We are basically using IIS like people use SharePoint. Technically IIS is a configurable web server. SharePoint is meant to be a collaborative tool. We configured IIS to be a collaborative tool of our own design.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable parts of IIS are the interface, simplicity, and ease of management.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of security issues with IIS, and this has become more of a concern, especially recently. That security problem is the biggest disadvantage.

Scalability is also a problem. Microsoft needs to improve on that aspect of the product. There are many limitations on IIS that seem like they should not be hard to remedy.

On the other hand, Microsoft is doing more to concentrate on Azure for the cloud solution, so it may be their intent that Azure is ultimately the better solution.

Overall, I have been working with IIS solutions on the cloud and on-premises for eight to ten years.

Application Server
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Apache, Oracle and others in Application Server. Updated: July 2022.
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Recently IIS has been more stable than in earlier releases and it has gotten better as it matured.

I do not think that much of IIS as a very scalable solution. It is used by our entire organization, which is about 1,000-plus end-users. But the product itself has limitations built into it.

We have a maximum of two people who manage the product. We work with it somewhat less now because of the scalability limitations and security issues, so we also dedicate less staff to projects with the product.

The technical support is neutral: not good and not bad. It has become less satisfying because they changed how support is handled and we have to depend on forums. We do not have direct access to Microsoft support, in other words. It is not at all optimal.

Microsoft tries to divert from this lack of interest in supporting the product, I think, by providing documentation. We also use the community and go into the forums — the Microsoft TechNet forums — and then use Google as a last resort. For technical support on IIS, it turns out that Google is our best friend.

From the beginning, we have been using Microsoft products as our base solution. We have Unix and Apache and those things in addition in the places where we need them, but we are mainly running on IIS and Windows.

The initial setup was straightforward. That is one of the biggest advantages for IIS. It takes just three or four clicks and the installation is done. The whole process takes just a few minutes.

What other advice do I have?

Recent versions, especially IIS 10, are very stable. For the stability I highly recommend IIS.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate IIS as an eight-out-of-ten.

Abdul Wahab Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at Softronic Systems
Simple and user-friendly interface, good integration, and easy to implement
  • "IIS has a very simple and user-friendly interface, which helps a lot in effective and efficient management."
  • "Having no support for other than a Microsoft environment and programming languages limits the usage of IIS in many cases."

What is our primary use case?

I am working as a Software Project Manager for a software company in their Pharma Services Division and using IIS on Microsoft Windows Server for local deployment of our pharma related .NET application. It is built in C# and used for uploading and validation of pharma-related information in a locally deployed application by a team of data associates and data analysts.

The information is then transported after validation to the web database on Azure from the local database using an internally-developed desktop application.

How has it helped my organization?

IIS is the best option on Microsoft Windows Server for hosting and deployment of .NET applications, either in a local environment or on the web.

The graphical user-interface of IIS is very easy to use and helpful in the effective management of applications.

It comes with Microsoft Windows Server by default, which makes it easier to get started for hosting .NET applications immediately, with no hassles of installation and setup of any other web server.

The integration is the best, being a Microsoft .NET application hosted on Microsoft IIS running on Microsoft Windows Server with Microsoft Database Connectors and Drivers.

What is most valuable?

IIS has a very simple and user-friendly interface, which helps a lot in effective and efficient management. The simplicity of the interface helps the newbies to learn to manage it fast.

What needs improvement?

IIS needs immediate improvements, especially in the area of security management.

The capability to host and deploy open-source applications would definitely add more value to it. There should be plugins to enable it to support open-source programming languages.

It also limits us in the choice of operating systems.

IIS should be enhanced in terms of its capabilities for monitoring and debugging.

I have been using IIS on Microsoft Windows Server for more than five years.

It is very stable in its operations, hence requires minimum efforts in performance management. It is easy to keep it alive and maintain server uptime.

We have found that customer support has always been good for cases that we have raised. It has a huge user community.

I have experience with Apache Web Server, WAMP, and XAMPP.

Being a part of Microsoft Windows Server, it is very easy to set up and manage IIS.

I tried Apache Web Server before implementing IIS.

Application Server
July 2022
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YunChyuan Sin - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Systems Engineer at ITL Asia Pacific Sdn Bhd
Reliable and helpful support

What is our primary use case?

I use Windows Server IIS to publish our site for my Citrix applications.

What needs improvement?

I am using an older version of Windows Server IIS and the general management and navigation to get something done is not as straightforward as I hope it to be. The interface could be improved.

I have used Windows Server IIS for approximately three years.

Windows Server IIS is stable.

We have over 100 people using this solution in my organization.

I have contacted the support from Microsoft a few times. Depending on the issue we are having, the support in some cases takes a bit longer to get our point across for them to understand and then to receive a resolution that day.

I rate the support from Microsoft a four out of five.

I have not used another solution previously.

The initial setup of Windows Server IIS is complex. If you already have some experience it can be simple.

We have an external service provider that helps with the maintenance and monitoring of Windows Server IIS. We have internal personnel, but for anything that we can't figure out by ourselves, then we contact the service provider and external help desk.

The price of Windows Server IIS is expensive. They have a large user base, and they charge a little bit too much.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Windows Server IIS an eight out of ten.

If I was using the newer version of Windows Server IIS I would rate it higher.

Download our free Application Server Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Apache, Oracle, and more!
Updated: July 2022