Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Spectrum Control OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Spectrum Control is #2 ranked solution in top Storage Management tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Spectrum Control an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. IBM Spectrum Control is most commonly compared to IBM Storage Insights: IBM Spectrum Control vs IBM Storage Insights. IBM Spectrum Control is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Storage Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Spectrum Control?

IBM Spectrum Control is a comprehensive solution that can significantly improve monitoring, automation and analytics capabilities in multi-vendor storage environments. IBM Spectrum Control helps manage storage systems, software-defined storage, storage-area network (SAN) fabrics and devices. Storage can be seen from multiple perspectives, including departmental, application and server views. IBM Spectrum Control helps simplify provisioning, tier optimization, performance management and data replication processes.

IBM Spectrum Control was previously known as Spectrum Control.

IBM Spectrum Control Customers

Nuance

IBM Spectrum Control Video

IBM Spectrum Control Reviews

Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Very granular with great technical support and good stability
  • "Technical support is quite responsive and helpful."
  • "The pain points were, and may still continue to be, the fact that there are multiple components of the product which are installed, you might say, somewhat individually."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to monitor storage systems and Fibre Channel switches and report on their performance, availability, and general health.

What is most valuable?

The ease with which you can drill into whatever individual component, or overall system that you want to look at in terms of performance, that's, to me, the most valuable aspect.

If there are performance problems you can drill into it and look at every single grueling detail. If you need to, you can export the raw data and look at it in whatever other way you may wish to look at it.

Technical support is quite responsive and helpful.

For the most part, the solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

The pain points were, and may still continue to be, the fact that there are multiple components of the product which are installed, you might say, somewhat individually. There's an overarching package that says, "Install this. Install that." However, it's got a database which is, of course, Db2 for IBM. It's got other facilities that are used in the product, for example, to generate reports and what have you. Instead of pushing a button and wait and you're done, there's a lot of effort to get it right.

I've probably been using the solution for 15 years at this point. It's been well over a decade. I've used it for a while now.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell Technologies, NetApp and others in Storage Management. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I couldn't really gauge it against any others. There is no software that's stable enough for me. Software should just be written well enough so that it doesn't fail, however, that's an impossibility. Today, you have Android or Apple that are just constantly flaky, and it seems like people don't develop code with the same rigorous results as they used to. When you pay a million dollars for a piece of code, you expect it to work.

That said, even if their programs of products break, they will be there to fix it with you. It is somewhat laborious sometimes to get from there from here, however, as far as the stability and what have you for that product, I would say it's stable. Every product has a few bugs here and there. I haven't run into them personally very frequently at all even though I know they do exist.

You don't have to wait for some kind of service pack or whatever. You can get a fix for it if they can identify what the problem is, of course.

Their principles are, "If you've got a problem, we will fix it." They are very responsive and helpful.

Both installing and applying maintenance to it can get a bit complex. It's not exactly straightforward.

I am capable of installing the solution for my clients.

The licensing is expensive. That said, they offer a product that is the same code but it's running in a cloud environment, however, most of my customers are federal customers, and the federal government doesn't want their data to egress their site and go into the cloud uncontrolled. Even though there's no personal information or anything that a cybersecurity issue would be concerned with, still, it's frowned upon.

What other advice do I have?

We're a business partner with IBM. I used to use it as a customer, however, now, I'm not a user of it anymore. I sell it and I install it, or I'm an engineer that works for an IBM business partner at this time.

Originally, it was a lot of IBM products - a number of features and functions and facilities that were brought together under the umbrella of a single product, however, it has matured and grown over the years. When I first started using it, it was not even a product, per se, it was a couple of products, and now it's a single monolithic product that's an umbrella under which a number of other things exist. And then there's also a cloud-based variant of this code, as well, known as Storage Insights and Storage Insights Pro, one of which is freely offered by IBM.

The product suite does support a number of different software and hardware vendors as far as being able to monitor them. However, if you have supported systems and you don't plan to purchase any other systems and you need the functionality, it's great.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Senior Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
A monitoring and analytics solution with useful tools for IBM storage devices.
  • "In my opinion, it's the best monitoring and report creation tool for IBM storage devices. You can do a lot of performance stats and reports with very nice tools for IBM storage devices."
  • "The initial setup for IBM Spectrum Control is a bit complicated. They should also make it easier to integrate and use the Cosmos Analytics tool, which is very complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM Spectrum Control for performance analytics and reporting.

What is most valuable?

In my opinion, it's the best monitoring and report creation tool for IBM storage devices. You can do a lot of performance stats and reports with very nice tools for IBM storage devices.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup for IBM Spectrum Control is a bit complicated. They should also make it easier to integrate and use the Cosmos Analytics tool, which is very complicated.

I want IBM to add a feature for microcode operations. We have, for example, plenty of storage devices, and I have to connect directly to every storage device, upload microcode, and start the upgrade procedure.

I would like IBM to have something similar to Brocade Network Advisor. There is a repository with microcode, and you just download the microcode to the Spectrum Control, and after that, choose what storage devices you would like to upgrade and just start upgrading these devices. It would be very nice if it's simplified.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Control for two years.

Spectrum Control is really stable. In most cases, we did not see any real problems with this product during the last two years. It's been really stable, and according to our company's upgrade strategy, we do not upgrade to the latest version. We just upgrade to the previous version if it's stable, and the IBM support website has a lot of information on every version.

It's not scalable because of our configuration. You can install several instances of this product. On top of that, you can install one main server or instance and connect all instances to this main system and see all the information, But you can only scale vertically, not horizontally.

It's possible to install Db2 on one server, Spectrum Control on another server, and Cosmos Analytics on a third server and connect to all of these systems. It's very complicated and difficult for me, and it's easier with all these installations on one server.

Technical support could be a little better. I have opened several cases, and in most cases, the answer was that it's was a defect, and a fix will be released in version 5.2 or 5.3. Or if we would like to do a quick fix, they can send some files or some instructions on how to fix it. Or we could just wait for the official update on their support website.

It's a complicated installation if you have not experienced it before. The latest version is 5.4.2, is a little less complicated, but the default version 5.4 or even 5.3 was very complicated to configure and install.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM Spectrum Control a nine.

September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chief Manager - IT Procurement at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
It's highly secure and competitively priced

What is our primary use case?

Spectrum Control is for our core applications.

What is most valuable?

Spectrum Control is highly secure and competitively priced.

We have been using IBM Spectrum Control for a long time. It's close to 10 years, I believe. I work in procurement, so I'm not an infrastructure guy, and I can talk about the solution only from a commercial standpoint.

We haven't had any problems. The technical support has been great so far. The stability is good.

We scaled up Spectrum Control twice in the past 10 years. We asked IBM to expand the storage space. The scalability is good. I have no complaints.

We have a relationship with IBM, and their technical support is excellent. IBM's team is seasoned, responsive, and helpful when we have any technical challenges.

It's easy to set up Spectrum Control compared to the older versions. It wasn't that complicated.

We compared other vendors also, but Spectrum Control's price is lower than most. It ultimately came down to pricing. We had multiple rounds of discussions, and finally, we settled on Spectrum Control because it was the best fit for our budget.

What other advice do I have?

I  rate Spectrum Control seven out of 10. I would recommend it for small enterprises.

Private Cloud
Ramon Barrios - PeerSpot reviewer
Gerente Propietario at INODO
Monitoring and analytics solution used to structure information to diagnose customer challenges
  • "The granularity of this solution has been most useful. Customers can click on a single item and get the information only for the single item they choose."
  • "The database could be improved so that the complexity of installation could be easier. We would also like to have more granularity in the profiles and products for users. We would like to link the users to the tool to managers or auditors."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to recollect the information for the system and then use the structured information to diagnose customers' problems in the future.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution since 2015.

This is a very stable solution. We have not experienced any issues.

This is a scalable solution.

IBM's support services are very good when the product is hardware or an appliance. When the product is a software only solution, their support services are not good. They are too slow.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup is complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to validate the compatibility of the platform with the versions together, and then plan about these version requirements.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
Aamir Jameel - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Systems Manager at Tapal tea
Scalable but not user-friendly

What needs improvement?

Spectrum Control could be more user-friendly. IBM also needs to provide proper training to handle Spectrum Control because it's a complicated solution.

I've been using Spectrum Control for almost three years.

Spectrum Control's stability is fine.

Spectrum Control's scalability is fine - we can extend it for the backup requirement.

The initial setup is straightforward, but it takes some time to complete.

The cost of Spectrum Control is high.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Spectrum Control seven out of ten.

Download our free Storage Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell Technologies, NetApp, and more!
Updated: September 2022