Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Rational Quality Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational Quality Manager is #14 ranked solution in top Load Testing Tools and #17 ranked solution in top Quality Management Tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Rational Quality Manager an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. IBM Rational Quality Manager is most commonly compared to Micro Focus ALM Quality Center: IBM Rational Quality Manager vs Micro Focus ALM Quality Center. IBM Rational Quality Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Test Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Rational Quality Manager?

IBM Rational Quality Manager is a next-generation web-based collaboration tool that provides test artifact management, construction, and planning throughout the entire development process. IBM Rational Quality Manager is based on IBM’s successful Jazz™ platform and derives many of its popular intuitive features from Jazz™.

IBM Rational Manager was developed for every type of test team in the marketplace today. Every role is included, such as test manager, test architect, lab manager, tester, and test lead. The solution is also able to include various roles outside the established test organization.

IBM Rational Quality Manager Features and Benefits:

• Customizable design and construction: Users can easily define the overall design for each and every test case. Every test case contains a robust text editor, which can include background data concerning the test case. Test cases can include links to developmental requirements and items. They can also include test artifacts, such as test scripts, test case execution processes, and test plans. Test cases can also be integrated with test suites.

• Intuitive reporting: IBM Rational Quality Manager provides an intuitive set of predefined reports to ensure users get comprehensive status on all projects. Additional customized reports can be made available by using the Development Intelligence or Rational Insight features for more precise reporting. Users can view live test execution status and are also able to discover the relationship between test artifacts, development artifacts, and requirements in the traceability view.

• Exhaustive test planning processes: Users define and customize test plans that will drive all activity for the organization's teams through every component of the project’s lifecycle. Everything is developed around the concept of: “ Is this ready for release?” The test plan defines the project scope and test effort, and contains the key indicators so all team members will understand the desired outcomes.

Top test plan tasks include (but are not limited to):

• Definition of test and business objectives.
    • Evaluate the size of the test effort.
    • Define different environments to test and develop test configurations.
    • Develop entrance criteria, exit criteria, and overall quality goals.
    • Create a review and approval process for the test plan and/or individual test cases.
    • View Real-time Test Progress

• Collaboration made easy: Users can easily share data with other members of the team with the Collaboration Lifecycle Management (CLM). Team members can also assign tasks and view each other's progress. They can also distribute work for review and track the input and status of each reviewer. There is also the ability to lock artifacts to prevent others from editing a completed piece.

• Security: IBM Rational Quality Manager can protect against attack threats and data breaches with the IBM AppScan Tester. This can help achieve higher quality and more secure applications with greater positive outcomes at a very reasonable competitive cost.

• Governance: The solution will ensure that an organization’s business processes are in compliance with department, corporate, industry, regional, and government regulations and standards. IBM Rational Quality Manager will correlate test processes and create suitable records of testing results and project history to comply with any auditing process.

IBM Rational Quality Manager was previously known as Rational Quality Manager.

IBM Rational Quality Manager Customers

Ehrhardt, Cisco Systems, Anadolu Hayat Emeklilik, CareCore National, ItaÒ BBA, Barr

IBM Rational Quality Manager Video

Archived IBM Rational Quality Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to set up, scales well, and the technical support is good
  • "The most valuable feature is the RFT because it allows us to automate manual test cases."
  • "Adding support for uploading a collection of test cases would be a helpful addition."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consultancy and we use this solution to create a testing plan, that includes test cases, for our clients. It is part of a larger suite of tools that includes Rational Functional Tester, which helps to automate the process.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the RFT because it allows us to automate manual test cases. We can do mainframe automation as well as web-based automation.

What needs improvement?

Adding support for uploading a collection of test cases would be a helpful addition. As it is now, we cannot upload a set of test cases, and instead, have to create it manually. Being able to upload hundreds of test cases would save us time, but it needs to be fast. For example, if 10 users are writing 100 tests case in a day, then uploading them should not take more than a minute.

I have been working with IBM Rational Quality Manager for the past four years.

Test Management Tools
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, IDERA and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a stable solution.

In our organization, we have 4,000 users and we don't have any issues. If we add more users then IBM will not have any problem scaling.

The technical support from IBM is very good.

In the past four years, I have not personally needed to contact them.

I did not work with another similar solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is very easy for our team. It will take us half an hour.

IBM
Software Engineering Director at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Has good integration with the other professional tools but usability needs improvement
  • "Integration with the other professional tools is a very strong advantage, so that we can have a traceability between the requirements and defects in Rational Team Concert. That's the most important aspect."
  • "I think it's fine from a performance perspective but usability is something that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage the testing. We have both manual and automated testing and we have many teams in DHL IT services that are designing some solutions. It's part of the whole life cycle. So they implement that and then test it. We adopt more and more Agile or DevOps practices, like Scrum or Kanban, and as a part of that, the work which is implemented is tested.

Historically we did a lot more manual tasks but more and more we are automating the tests and using the automation. We trigger some test automation tools from Rational Quality Manager. For example, we use Selenium or Micro Focus Quick Test Professional, or QTP. These aren't typical but we also trigger integration tests. For example, the Rational Integration Tester is triggered by RQM as well.

What is most valuable?

Integration with the other professional tools is a very strong advantage so that we can have a traceability between the requirements and defects in Rational Team Concert. That's the most important aspect.

What needs improvement?

I think it's fine from a performance perspective but usability is something that needs improvement. It might be because of the complexity. They introduce some entities before people learn how these entities link to each other. It's not intuitive. Tools like JIRA qTest are much more intuitive, for example. Quality Center is simple as well.

I have been using IBM Rational Quality Manager for five years.

It's very stable.

It's scalable. We didn't have any scalability issues.

We have contacted their support many times. The IBM support was good. It's not perfect, sometimes it's not so fast.

I would say the initial setup is not easy but it's not super complex. We have Enterprise Deployment Topology so we have mounted servers and it's not so simple to set up the whole infrastructure. Upgrading is quite complex. Compared to JIRA, it's more complex to set up. We had to use IBM to help us.

What other advice do I have?

Consider the introduction of the tool in terms of the proper education of the teams who will adapt it. I think any introduction of such a tool requires proper training. It's not so intuitive that people can trust it. If you just give it to people directly, without any training, then they can get it wrong. Make sure to invest in training

Smooth integration with JIRA, but I think this is not realistic.

The IBM suite is kind of independent and it's getting more niche because it's not such a big community of users.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Test Management Tools
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hesham Fouad - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager and test manager at Venturous Solutions
Fast and reliable with good customization capabilities
  • "It's very reliable as a solution."
  • "Currently, the user interface needs to be more user-friendly."

What is most valuable?

The product is very fast.

It's very reliable as a solution.

The solution is well structured and you can customize it within your business workflows.

It's very fast coming from a banking interface tool, as far as the testing environment and the test tool are concerned.

What needs improvement?

Currently, the user interface needs to be more user-friendly.

In one of IBM's main competitors, Quality Center, the options are much more straightforward than what is offered in IBM. IBM's platform is too complicated and should be simple like Quality Center's.

The integration and enhancement features need to be across all the testing tools and there needs to be integration between them.

The solution should simplify the import or export as well as support multiple extensions.

Overall, the solution is not user-friendly, and you need a very technical person on it in order to run it properly.

I've been working with this tool for a number of years, and with IBM solutions in general for about eight or so years so far.

The solution is very reliable and stable.

I believe the solution is scalable.

We've been in touch with technical support. They are pretty good. However, I don't hear from the clients about how they feel about the solution's technical support in any way. We've found them to be good, at least for us, from our interactions with them in the past.

Clients often ask about monthly licensing fees, however, I'm not sure about how IBM actually charges. For example, I'm unsure as to if it's a yearly or a monthly fee. It's unclear from my end how the solution actually contracts out its licenses.

We've compared the solution to other tools such as HP's Quality Center.

What other advice do I have?

The main competitor of IBM's test management tool is Quality Center. I feel they may have a more user-friendly interface.

However, IBM offers a very good management tool and it's integrated well with the different tracking and design testing solutions.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

From a reliability and scalability perspective, it's a good tool. It's well-structured. If they did some upgrades to the interface, it would be just about perfect and I'd rate it closer to nine or nine and a half.

Setembrino Lusa - PeerSpot reviewer
Engenheiro de Software - DevOps - Agile - Application Lifecycle Management Practice Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It allows users to assign each other tasks and view the status of the assigned tasks
  • "Reusability and integration capabilities which make it a great choice for organizations that use a variety of development tools and platforms."
  • "Mainly Quality Assurance and DevOps, but of course the whole company and management areas with more knowledge of quality and client success approach."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

The software lets users register their role and create task or test-specific teams, and it allows users to assign each other tasks and view the status of the assigned tasks.

At least 10 years.

Few configuration issues on different browsers, not that serious.

Yes, I had some, but after sending requests to the IBM support team, some fixes were applied and we could keep going.

No, always thinking of sizing, we can keep the services online.

Very good, attention and velocity to understand and solve issues.

Very good, attention and velocity to understand and solve issues.

For the CLM tools, IBM provides a good 'automatic setup', but on the WebSphere side, there is a lot of complex configuration to attend the services.

There were a lot of projects. Many of them through a vendor, some as an IBM employee and few as a consultant, in-house.

Always delivered with high expertise.

Good to high.

There are various licensing and pricing options available for the software, so organizations should be sure to contact IBM to decide which license best serves their needs. Each license includes 12 months of customer support. A free 90-day trial of the software is also available.

HPE Quality and some others.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good choice on ensuring the expected software quality for projects.

Shuchita Tripathi - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
The product is highly customizable, however there are some bugs in almost every new release
  • "Latest features include versioning of testings which can be great when used for multiple releases of a product."
  • "Integration capabilities with other vendors' tools should improve."

What is most valuable?

• Ease and clarity of the tool when using it. Easy web-based administration.
  • Highly customizable
  • Rational Quality Manager (RQM) when used with other CLM tools (provided by IBM) gives great traceability features.
  • Latest features include versioning of testings which can be great when used for multiple releases of a product.

How has it helped my organization?

• Instead of writing test scripts, we now use a tool which makes managing extremely easy.
  • Testing can be linked with requirements, which makes traceability very easy.

What needs improvement?

Integration capabilities with other vendors' tools should improve.

I have used it on and off until now (from 2011).

Yes, there are some bugs present in almost every release.

Excellent. You always get the proper response.

Setup is pretty straightforward. It can be a little too much for beginners, but the steps are not complex.

Never got involved in pricing, however the licenses of these tools (the whole CLM package) is very costly as compared to other vendors' tools.

We evaluated the whole package - IBM CLM, HPE ALM, and Microsoft TFS.

What other advice do I have?

This tool would be great if it was used with a package (IBM CLM, includes DNG, RQM, and RTC, as major tools).

Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Integrated with CCM and RM to achieve traceability. Difficult to maintain test cases as their number grows.
  • "It allows user to add whichever widget (predefined) based on the need. It has integration with CCM and RM to achieve traceability."
  • "Organizing the test cases is tedious. There is no mechanism to keep and maintain the test cases as hierarchy. This should be seriously addressed."

What is most valuable?

VF dashboard view looks okay. It allows user to add whichever widget (predefined) based on the need. It has integration with CCM and RM to achieve traceability.

What needs improvement?

Organizing the test cases is tedious. There is no mechanism to keep and maintain the test cases as hierarchy. This should be seriously addressed. As the number of test cases grows, it’ll be really difficult to maintain the test cases. The tool should be able to support and maintain the test cases in a folder-wise structure to identify the different module/phase-wise test cases.

Around three years.

Not applicable.

Yes. Customer requirement.

Not applicable.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest to go for other tools. As the number of test cases grow, it’ll be really difficult to maintain the test cases. The tool should be able to support and maintain the test cases in a folder-wise structure to identify the different module test cases.

Qaiser Islam, Spc4 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior System Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Global Configuration allows the user to maintain different versions of the same artifact. It does not provide inbuilt capabilities for managing the tasks related to testing.

What is most valuable?

In the latest version, Global Configuration is the most promising feature as it allows the user to maintain different versions of the same artifact in different streams. Another feature that I consider important is integration with the automation tools.

How has it helped my organization?

Reporting on the QA activities as well as managing test execution cycles helped our organization to better manage the QA activities.

What needs improvement?

There are a couple of things that can be improved:

1. The user interface can be improved; it is the same interface that I have been seeing for the past so many years, whereas the other CLM modules changed significantly.
  2. It does not provide inbuilt capabilities for managing the tasks and planning activities related to testing. For this purpose, you need to buy another module, i.e., IBM Rational Team Concert (RTC).

I have used this solution for seven years.

Recently, we encountered some defects related to the global categories. We opened the defects with IBM, and later on, they provided us with a fix pack.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is above average.

The setup was a bit complex as it requires some expertise.

Two types of licensing policies are available:

1. There is the Authorized license which is bound to the user, i.e., if the user is not using it, then others can't use it either.
  2. There is floating one, which is a pool of licenses (if the user is not using it, then others can use it).

When I joined my current organization, they were already using IBM RQM.

What other advice do I have?

Tweak your testing process. It is also better to align the organization in terms of how the tool works.

it_user321231 - PeerSpot reviewer
Marketing and Sales at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It integrates with third-party automation test tools, but the management of artifacts need improvement.

Valuable Features:

Integration throughout the complete product development process. Also, the integration of third-party automation test tools.

Improvements to My Organization:

Easy collaboration between several development teams such as design, development, and testing.

Room for Improvement:

• Management of artefacts
  • Support of paramater needs to be easier

Use of Solution:

I've used it for three years.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Initial Setup:

It was easy.

Implementation Team:

It was done in-house.

ROI:

Project realization has been carried out much faster. The integration of test automation tools.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Use workgroup licenses for smaller environments.

Other Advice:

Plan the training and usage properly. Also, proper planning of the architecture and test execution artefacts needs to be dond.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a business partner of IBM.