Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Rational Functional Tester OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational Functional Tester is #14 ranked solution in top Regression Testing Tools and #25 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Rational Functional Tester an average rating of 6.6 out of 10. IBM Rational Functional Tester is most commonly compared to Selenium HQ: IBM Rational Functional Tester vs Selenium HQ. IBM Rational Functional Tester is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Rational Functional Tester?
IBM Rational Functional Tester is an automated functional testing and regression testing tool. This software provides automated testing capabilities for functional, regression, GUI, and data-driven testing. Rational Function Tester supports a range of applications, such as web-based, .Net, Java, Siebel, SAP, terminal emulator-based applications, PowerBuilder, Ajax, Adobe Flex, Dojo Toolkit, GEF, Adobe PDF documents, zSeries, iSeries, and pSeries.

IBM Rational Functional Tester was previously known as Rational Functional Tester.

IBM Rational Functional Tester Customers
Edumate
IBM Rational Functional Tester Video

Archived IBM Rational Functional Tester Reviews (more than two years old)

Kashif-Jamil - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Xcelliti
Good coverage and compatibility with excellent stability
  • "It is compatible with all sorts of Dark Net applications. Its coverage is very good."
  • "If the solution is running on Linux, there are some issues around application compatibility."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for database integration.

What is most valuable?

The regression testing is very good.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be more effort made to make the solution more relevant to the application.

We have only been using the IBM Rational Functional Tester for 10 days now. It really hasn't been that long. It's a very new solution for us.

Functional Testing Tools
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, SeleniumHQ and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: September 2022.
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't run into issues to stability. We haven't faced any bugs or crashes.

The solution is very scalable. Companies can easily expand if they need to.

We use the solution on a daily basis. It's used quite often in our company.

We've been in touch with technical support and found them to be very helpful. We're satisfied with the level of support we've gotten so far. It is not user-dependent or region dependent. Wherever you are, you can take any support from the nearby region.

I've tried other solutions as well, but IBM is very good. We are very satisfied with IBM, though there are other similar tools available. The problem with them is that they do not cover many things the way IBM does. Often they do one task and then you have to connect them with something else in other to get what you need. It's much better to have a stable product with the full support and scalability required all in one place.

The initial setup was very simple. We didn't face any complexities and found it to be quite straightforward.

Deployment only took about two weeks for the light users. If a person installing the solution knows about something about automation, it can probably be done in two to three days.

We actually provide services so we won't use any help from any outside integrators or vendors.

Licensing is good but the prices for the products are expensive. A single-user license may go for something like $10,000 to $30,000. There are no additional costs, and support is included within that price.

Implementing it requires a real license. If you have more than two to three people, they can do it, but they can only use a single-user license. For the maintenance process, if there are one or two people available in our organization who look to handle three to six projects, they will each need a license and we'll divide the projects so one person will handle two to three projects themselves under their license.

What other advice do I have?

We're IBM partners, not resellers. We handle large-scale enterprise projects.

I can't recall what version number we have right now, but we are using the current version of RFT.

It is 100% compatible with all sorts of database integrations and is compatible with all types of open source TFT-based applications, which makes it a great product to have.

I'd advise others to first evaluate the product. IBM provides new users with a 30 or 60-day evaluation period whereby companies can try out the solution. Companies should leverage this and use the product and all of its tools. They will be able to make all sorts of scripts. It will give users a lot of good hands-on experience to get a feel for IBM. If it works well, they can then get a license.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

Test Specialist at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Automatically adapts to changes, saving time and effort, but mobile app support is needed
  • "The most valuable feature is the UI component tester."
  • "As many of our products are moving from PC to mobile, the most important thing that this solution needs is mobile app support."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to test our website functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has saved me time and effort in writing tests, in particular for UI elements in websites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the UI component tester. It analyzes the changes in UI elements and allows me to automatically adapt and change my automation testing.

This product can be integrated into other testing management products, such as IBM Rational Performance Tester, as part of the development lifecycle.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the UI change analysis functionality for mobile apps.

I have been using IBM Rational Functional Tester for three to four years.

The stability is ok. Our usage is common and we have not experienced very many bugs or problems. It is used only on an occasional basis, for now. As we have been moving our product to a mobile environment, we are not using it as often. If in the future there is no support for mobile applications, then we will be using it less.

I think that scalability should be enhanced to support mobile applications.

We have fewer than ten people using this solution in my company.

The technical support for this solution is okay.

Prior to using IBM Rational Functional Tester, we used testing software by HP. It was the Unit Functional Tester and HP Quality Center that were later purchased by Micro Focus. I do not know the reasons that we switched to IBM.

The initial setup is a little bit complex. We searched online for some information to assist with the installation and configuration.

Many of my colleagues do not want to install the software on their PC. Rather, they want to use it from a web browser in client/server mode.

The deployment takes only five to ten minutes.

I installed this software on my own, as have many of my colleagues.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Functional Testing Tools
September 2022
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Test Team Lead at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
It has better object recognition compared to other tools in the market. It is unable to identify some objects.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to implement and use.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps in automation by using better object recognition as compared to other tools in the market.

What needs improvement?

The object repository used for identifying objects can be made better. It has been noticed that the RFT tool is unable to identify some objects, due to which we are unable to add them to the object repository. In this case, the user has to manually add the objects to the object repository. This takes time and effort. It would be good if RFT was able to create a framework to identify objects that are not recognized by the tool.

I have used RFT for two years.

We have not had any problems. It is mostly stable.

We haven’t had scalability issues. We used it for 5-10 users and there was no issue in scalability.

Support was good. They used to provide solutions when we got stuck.

We used HPE QTP and found IBM RFT to have better object recognition.

Setup was not complex. You can read the documentation and do the set up.

Pricing is on the higher side, but lower compared to Mercury tools.

We already had worked on QTP, so we had an idea of the same.

What other advice do I have?

Free open source software like Selenium is available in the market, which as good as any propitiatory tool.

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It supports both .NET and Java as the programming language for scripting.

What is most valuable?

1. IBM RFT supports both .NET and Java as the programming language for scripting, but the market widely usage was Java language because of the open-source platform.

2. Descriptive programming for functional test case made easy with robust API.

3. 3rd party library integration.

4. Eclipse IDE.

5. Execution made faster than compared to other commercial tools.

6. Robust object identification mechanism.

How has it helped my organization?

Robust API provides quick turnaround for developers to understand and automate functional test case quickly.

What needs improvement?

Didn't find any since they provide light weight usage for execution and script development without tool dependency than compared to other commercial products.

Almost 5 years starting from RFT 8.0 - 8.3 version.

No this product is for functional testing not applicable for scalability.

Pretty straightforward.

Through in-hose team.

One time license cost involved and pretty less than compared to the other commercial products.

What other advice do I have?

Use this product for thick client application like sap, siebel, flex etc

it_user203841 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineering Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It should support more browsers but we were able to show time savings of more than 1200 hours in less than 1 year.

What is most valuable?

It gives us an ability to support object recognition and descriptive programming.

How has it helped my organization?

By automating regression test suites using this product, we were able to show time savings of more than 1200 hours in less than ONE year.

What needs improvement?

• It should be more flexible when it comes to integration with test management tools like QC or agile tools like Rally
  • It should support more browsers

I've used it for over four years.

No issues encountered.

1. With version 8.5 we faced workspace crash issues frequently.

2. We keep getting Java Binary exceptions when we execute batch runs with RFT

No issues encountered.

Good.

Good.

Based on low license cost and project decision we moved to this product.

The initial setup was easy.

It was implemented by me for multiple in-house projects.

1200 hours in one year.

Yes. we evaluated QTP.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good option if you have tie up with IBM and if your test management suite consists of rational products.

Technical Lead - QA at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Quiet stable but it has memory issues frequently

What is most valuable?

It supports:

• Siebel
  • SAP
  • Terminal based applications

What needs improvement?

Reports - Default results log has a lot of useless info, and this is hiding the actual information needed. I have to use customized reports, which we don't expect from paid tool.

Eight months.

Installation is straight forward.

Quiet stable but it has memory issues frequently, which can be solved easily.

It is able to handle volume.

Haven't contacted customer service so far.

Good, encountered a problem and a solution was provided by tech support within a couple of days.

We were replacing an expensive solution - Worksoft Certify.

Installation is straight forward.

In-house team.

It's cheaper than our existing solution, Worksoft Certify

Organization bought the whole Rational Suite at a very low price.

What other advice do I have?

It does not fully justify being a paid tool, and it needs improvement. But as it is built on Ellipse/Java and costs is less than other tools, it is recommended.

Download our free Functional Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, SeleniumHQ, and more!
Updated: September 2022