IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Operational Decision Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Operational Decision Manager is #2 ranked solution in top Business Rules Management tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Operational Decision Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Operational Decision Manager is most commonly compared to FICO Blaze Advisor: IBM Operational Decision Manager vs FICO Blaze Advisor. IBM Operational Decision Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is IBM Operational Decision Manager?

IBM Operational Decision Manager is a comprehensive decision automation platform that helps you discover, capture, analyze, automate and govern rules-based business decisions. Anyone can work with it―from IT to business-line leaders. In seconds, it can authorize a loan, decide on a promotion or detect a cross-sell opportunity with high precision and customization. With IBM Operational Decision Manager, your applications will continuously remain up to date and well aligned with the changing business objectives of your organization. It is available in editions for both cloud and private cloud environments.

IBM Operational Decision Manager was previously known as IBM Operational Decision Management, ILOG JRules, IBM ODM.

IBM Operational Decision Manager Customers

Odyssey Transportation & Logistics Corporation, Swiss Customs, Athletes' Performance, L_elo, Versicherungskammer Bayern

IBM Operational Decision Manager Video

IBM Operational Decision Manager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Operational Decision Manager pricing:
"ODM's pricing could be more competitive as there are open-source business rules engines that are becoming standard."

IBM Operational Decision Manager Reviews

Bhasker ReddyPIdintla - PeerSpot reviewer
Delivery Manager at Tech Mahindra Limited
Leaderboard
The solution provides an efficient, comprehensive way to manage polices for all the applications.

What is our primary use case?

We use ODM to set complex business rules. For instance, we deploy this solution for most of our banking customers because there are frequent changes in the policies and business rules. These are complex to manage for enterprise applications.  ODM provides an efficient, comprehensive way to manage all the applications. Regardless of the BPM tool we are using, we choose ODM because it's flexible.

What needs improvement?

The only thing we have trouble with is integrating IBM ODM with the cloud. The product is on-prem, and we need to migrate the rules to the cloud. It's a hectic process.

I've been using IBM ODM for about 10 years.

ODM's stability is fine now. We haven't had any issues lately, but it was a little unstable initially. We got it stabilized after a few hiccups.

We switched from version 8 of IBM ODM to version 11 on the cloud for a few customers, but it is still on-prem for some. The cloud edition has greater scalability.

We contacted IBM support for one issue because we had trouble migrating the business rules for OpenShift. The documentation says it is should be easy to do in OpenShift. The support was good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

There's definitely a return, but I can't quantify it because it varies among customers.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Operational Decision Manager eight out of 10. I recommend ODM because it's better at managing complex rules than any other product. Other solutions aren't adequate for the enterprise level. It can handle any rule at any level of complexity.
RAUL JERONIMO VARGAS - PeerSpot reviewer
VP at Aconcagua Software Factory S.A.
Robust and highly scalable
  • "ODM's most valuable features are that it's easy to define and divide business rules, and it can handle very large numbers of transactions per second."
  • "ODM could be improved with better integration with other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

ODM is mainly used in banks to handle large numbers of transactions.

How has it helped my organization?

I've been working with this solution since 2012.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

ODM could be improved with better integration with other platforms. In the next release, IBM should include integrated analysis tools, summary metrics, and a friendlier way to integrate with dashboards or columns.

ODM is very stable and has good uptime.

Scalability was the main reason we chose ODM, as it can handle almost a magnitude more transactions per second than its competitors.

IBM's technical support is good - they're good at communication and are really helpful.

The initial setup was straightforward as we got a lot of help from IBM and were able to hire people who were already trained in the product.

ODM's pricing could be more competitive as there are open-source business rules engines that are becoming standard, like Drooms from the Java Open Source Enterprise Suite, although ODM is a better product than those.

What other advice do I have?

If implementing ODM, I'd recommend finding a partner with experience who understands the responsibilities and functions this product should provide, which can ease the transition. I would give ODM a rating of nine out of ten.

Vikram Mamilla - PeerSpot reviewer
IBM ODM Rules Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good stability and performance and allows for faster deployment

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to manage rules for the business.

How has it helped my organization?

ODM allows for faster deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the Decision center, a web UI that allows us to make direct edits to our policies or rules; the Rule Execution Server, which allows us to analyze the rules and performance; and Rule Designer, where you can write rules and decision tables.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement is that the documentation for ODM is huge and not very clear.

I've been working with this solution for over six years.

The tools have good stability and performance.

This solution is scalable.

The technical support could be improved.

The initial setup is a little complex, but deployment can be done at the click of a button.

What other advice do I have?

ODM is suitable for all sizes of companies. I would rate it as eight out of ten.