IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

HCL Notes OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HCL Notes is #4 ranked solution in top Email Applications. PeerSpot users give HCL Notes an average rating of 8 out of 10. HCL Notes is most commonly compared to HCL Verse: HCL Notes vs HCL Verse. HCL Notes is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.
HCL Notes Buyer's Guide

Download the HCL Notes Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is HCL Notes?

HCL Notes is a secure on-premises email client that allows teams access to email, calendar, and contact management capabilities. The solution integrates other collaboration tools seamlessly along with HCL Domino business applications, into a single workspace. HCL Notes is most commonly used in corporate environments for email, but can also be used to create websites, custom applications and business workflows, discussion groups, and document libraries. In addition, the solution enhances user experiences, helps internal teams collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, and streamline communication management operations.

HCL Notes is available for Windows, Apple iOS, and Android.

HCL Notes Features

HCL Notes has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Instant Messaging with HCL Sametime.

• Unified Inbox: This HCL Notes feature helps you consolidate multiple email accounts into one viewable platform.

• Filters: The HCL Notes filters allow users to filter their emails by sender, date received, opened/unopened, and more.

• Reminders: With the reminders feature, users are prompted with reminders to send or reply to emails.

• Notifications: HCL Notes notifications feature pings users, notifying them when they receive new emails.

• Task Management: HCL Notes has built-in task creation and assignment functionality.

• Reporting & Statistics.

HCL Notes Benefits

Some of the benefits of using HCL Notes include:

• Mobility and accessibility: HCL Notes provides users with access to their mail and calendar wherever and whenever they are doing work.
  • Easy integration: With HCL Notes, you can interact with files directly from your email messages — preview, download, follow, comment, or share them with your team.
  • Better access capabilities: HCL Notes makes it possible for you to access profiles, roles, skill sets, and areas of responsibility for all your contacts. It also allows you to view related blogs and collaboration histories of shared work.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by HCL Notes users.

An Administration & Technical Director at a tech services company says, "Its security is absolutely stratospheric. In an application, you can lock down to field-level security. For example, I could log in and see a field in an HR database with salaries. When you log in, you see exactly the same database, but the field with the salary just isn't there. So, you can literally have field-level security on it, and you can also have secure encryption. For example, I could give you that database allowing you to see the salary, but a calculation that shows how much they get per month in another field is encrypted. So, you won't be able to see that because you don't have the encryption key. You can implement high-level security very simply."

PeerSpot user Bogdan C., Kierownik Biura Informatyki at an insurance company, mentions, “The most valuable feature is the access that it provides to documents. This offers us an easy way to make changes.”

Marcos S., Diretor at MASTERDOM, comments, “The solution is practical, good interface, and performs well. The usability of the old applications to the new version of the client is very good. The migration is very good for some legacy applications.”

HCL Notes was previously known as IBM Lotus Notes, Lotus Notes.

HCL Notes Customers

Connect2Cloud, Hansgrohe, Sauk County, Blue Water Shipping, FDBR, ibml, Multivac, Aarhus University Hospital, Hendricks Regional Health, Asian Paints, Integra Legal, Sunplus Technology, S¾SS, The Moroccan Ministry of Youth and Sports, Nicrometal, Doncasters Group, Practice Plan, Barr, RACV, Neotechnik, Deutsche Notes User Group

HCL Notes Video

Archived HCL Notes Reviews (more than two years old)

Mario Treviño Salazar - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect for New Products and Services at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is a platform for making groupware applications that are natively integrated with email.

What is most valuable?

Lotus Domino is an excellent platform for making groupware applications that are natively integrated with email. It gives you the flexibility to publish applications in the web with practically no effort if you use some of the templates provided. The security (private key / public key) is very strong. You have a lot of predesigned templates for doing workflow applications.

How has it helped my organization?

We used Lotus Domino / Lotus Notes a lot few years ago for: Corporate politics and procedures Corporate phone book Email Workflow applications for authorization (vacations, travel expenses, refunds, etc) We created some excellent applications for managing our enterprise / corporate procedures. Before the BPMS tools were created, we created some applications to manage our corporate workflows. Using Lotus Notes, we had to solve some issues because Lotus Notes is a document-oriented database and not a relational database. At the beginning, we had to solve some performance issues. First, we had to develop a standard to document our corporate processes. We used Microsoft Visio to do the documentation and a proprietary standard (before the BPMN standard was established). As soon as we solved the issue of the standard, we wanted to cover in detail the business requirements and time to market requested by the enterprise, so we developed a flexible application that let the developers to configure instead of programming the workflows. We created a catalog for adding roles, people, activities, processes, fields by role, among other information, so we were able to configure a new workflow in days, not in weeks. With this template, we created the main corporate processes, for example, the presales process and the installation processes for the corporate, government and IT market. We were also able to copy the template created to use this application for other kind of workflows. It took almost 15 years of work to have this template customized to fill the needs of the enterprise and the aggressive time to market needed in telecom companies.

What needs improvement?

The problem with Lotus Domino is that there are no new versions of the product. The last version that I know is 9.x.

20 years (since 1997)
HCL Notes
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about HCL Notes. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Practically no deployment issues.

Because the Lotus Notes database is a documental database, there are some stability issues if the database grows a lot. I think that you can avoid this issue if you send the information to a database or Split the database in files no longer than 4 GB to have better performance.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.; it's a very scalable solution (as a platform).

Customer Service: Customer service is 8/10. Technical Support: Technical support is 8/10.

We are currently using the Office 365 solution; it has the advantage that now it's in the cloud and it can be accessed from any place.

Initial setup was complex; you have to have some technical expertise to implement the solution.

An in-house team implemented it.

I am not sure if IBM is still selling this product. Talking about the support, I think that it is average; it is not the cheapest solution.

Before choosing, we also evaluated Office 365 for businesses (Exchange).

What other advice do I have?

Review the roadmap with IBM before trying to implement this solution, because I think that IBM is not investing in new versions and there's no roadmap.
Download our free HCL Notes Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022