Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Fortinet FortiOS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiOS is #14 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiOS an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Fortinet FortiOS is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiWeb: Fortinet FortiOS vs Fortinet FortiWeb. Fortinet FortiOS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.
Fortinet FortiOS Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiOS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Fortinet FortiOS?

Control all the security and networking capabilities in all your FortiGates across your entire network with one intuitive operating system. Improve your protection and visibility while reducing operating expenses and saving time with a truly consolidated next generation enterprise firewall platform.

Fortinet FortiOS Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiOS Video

Archived Fortinet FortiOS Reviews (more than two years old)

Sudeep Maydeo - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager IT at Tata International Limited
Feature-rich and secure UTM box with fantastic support
  • "The information security features are the most valuable."
  • "It would be great if they can push the Microsoft updates through Fortinet OS and provide a centralized patch management system. They should also include the data loss prevention (DLP) and data leakage prevention features. They could also add network monitoring more effectively."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for web filtering, intrusion prevention system (IPS), intrusion detection system (IDS), and VPN. We are also using it as DSCP.

What is most valuable?

The information security features are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if they can push the Microsoft updates through Fortinet OS and provide a centralized patch management system.

They should also include the data loss prevention (DLP) and data leakage prevention features. They could also add network monitoring more effectively.

We have been using Fortinet FortiOS for nearly seven years.

Fortinet FortiOS
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is very much stable.

It is very scalable. We have a global presence in more than 23 countries.

We are satisfied with the support. They provide fantastic support. They provide online support, and on priority, they also provide a remote session.

It is extremely easy to set up.

We deployed it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

This particular solution will be in a firewall. It's not a firewall, but it is a unified threat management (UTM) box. It acts as a firewall, plus it has many features like web filtering, VPN, DSCP, IPS, and IDS. It also has the high availability (HA) feature. You are getting a very good solution with all these features combined into one box.

I would rate Fortinet FortiOS a nine out of ten. We will surely keep using Fortinet FortiOS because it is a great and very secure product. We intend to only go with this product.

Technical Head at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Flexibility makes this easy to integrate with other products, especially ACI implementations
  • "The VDOM (Virtual DOM) is a virtualized firewall that has some opportunities for flexibility that are an advantage in certain configurations."
  • "The pricing model makes this product far more expensive than similar solutions."
  • "The implementation could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for integrated cybersecurity.

What is most valuable?

The VDOM (Virtual DOM) is a virtualized firewall that has some opportunities for flexibility that are an advantage in certain configurations. The other valuable part is that this flexibility makes it easy to integrate with Cisco products.

What needs improvement?

The product really has everything that we need as far as features for this type of solution and our use case. It works fine for us. One thing that can be improved is the pricing model. It is currently subscription-based and I think they should probably try to change that.

We have been using FortiO since around 2016. So we have been using it for four years.

We had some issues with the stability of FortiOS, but I do not think it was because of Fortinet. It was because of how the integrator handled the configurations. The partner that implemented it originally did not do it optimally. We ended up having to change the partner in order to have it done correctly.

So far we are satisfied with the technical support. We have not had a lot of need to use them.

We had been using Check Point and we still use it. In fact, we have been working with Check Point more than Fortinet. I may be a bit biased toward Check Point because I already have more implementation support for it than FortiOS.

The difference between the price of the products is also obvious. Pricing is more flexible with Check Point than with Fortinet. Fortinet ends up being more expensive because of the pricing scheme.

The pros and cons of them are not so much different. If it were my choice and we were going to change what we use or choose between the two, then we would move back to using Check Point exclusively.

I think that the setup was a bit complex because we have a complex network. Because of that, we had to do some interoperability testing first and that made the initial setup take longer than it would in another, simpler environment.

The initial setup is one other area that could be simplified.

We used a partner for the implementation. We ended up having to replace them with a different partner because of installation issues. The second partner was able to fix the issues.

The costs for the maintenance and subscription for Fortinet FortiOS software alone is actually half of the cost of the hardware. For example, if your hardware costs were about $40,000, your yearly subscription to FortiOS is about $20,000. That is kind of the drawback to using Fortinet. By comparison, that $60,000 is already three years of maintenance or support with Check Point for the same scale setup. It is a significant cost difference.

What other advice do I have?

I would probably recommend Check Point to most users considering FortiO if they do not have any ACI (Application Centric Infrastructure) implementation or a Cisco ACI. If you could do a workaround on the ACI, then I would probably still recommend Check Point. But if you do not know how to make that type of adjustment or can not and you do not have any partners that need to access your systems, then it is better you go for Fortinet.

Fortinet FortiOS
September 2022
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Executive - Data & IP at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very user friendly and easy to configure with a straightforward initial setup
  • "The solution is very user friendly."
  • "Fortinet needs to make this solution even more robust. Sometimes when we get a DDoS attack, the cannot withstand it. We can run out of sessions very easily. That said, I suppose if you want more a robust system, then you could purchase higher-end solutions, which are more expensive. Still, I would like to see more protection from even in the low-end version."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall. It's protecting customers from the internet to have access to servers behind the firewall.

We co-locate customers' servers at our company, and we also give them firewall protection. Mostly, people that co-locate a server don't have any firewall so they ask for the service through us.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user friendly.

The product is very easy to configure, compared to other firewalls that I've worked with.

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs to be improved. It's quite pricey.

In terms of the CLI, if they could make it more intuitive, and more user friendly, it would make the solution better. I like to work on CLI instead of through the GUI. If you are used to it then you wouldn't mind the way it works right now. However, for those that don't, there's just a sizeable learning curve.

I have been dealing with the solution for three and a half or four years.

The solution doesn't really scale. If you want a bigger box, you need to scrap the box you have and trade up to get the larger capacity. You can't just "add" to it per se on existing solutions you've bought. It's hardware, so it doesn't scale well.

We're not looking to increase our usage right now. COVID-19 really slowed us down in a lot of ways.

We have a local supplier that helps us a lot every time we need to open a ticket. So far we haven't had that many issues. The few ones that we have had, we didn't have any problems with opening up tickets and getting support.

The solution is not complex at all. I'd say it's very easy. There's a learning curve, however, once you're used to the device, it's very easy to set up a firewall. It's fairly straightforward.

The solution is too expensive. If they could push down their prices, that would be great. However, I'm not in charge of purchasing. I wouldn't know about the exact costs.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Fortigate.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Rafael Riera - PeerSpot reviewer
Pre-sales Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Easy to configure with an easy initial setup and good scalability
  • "FortiGate as a product is very easy to configure."
  • "Technical support could be better. Some competitors have much more responsive support teams."

What is most valuable?

FortiGate as a product is very easy to configure. There is a lot of data now with switching IDS and IPS. It's a truly complete solution for our customers.

It's a good idea to have the firewall connected to the switches. That way, the firewall is the controller of the switches. We like how the solution is designed with that in mind.

What needs improvement?

The solution's switches are lacking. They need more features added to them to build them out a bit. The switches are very simple if you compare them with other companies like Cisco or Aruba. Those organizations offer their clients much more.

I know the last version had NAC, network access control, added inside the firewall. It's a process, however. There's still work to do. The next version will be better. Right now, you can't authenticate other devices. You only can authenticate Forti devices and not devices from other companies. This could be the next addition to the solution that will make its performance even better.

I've been dealing with the solution for ten years now. It's been a decade.

The solution is stable. We have no issues in that regard. There aren't bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash. It's reliable.

The solution is very scalable. We have a solution from the most basic office setup to a very complex data center. It works well in either scenario. If a company requires scale, this solution can provide it.

I have used technical support in the past. It's good for the most part. However, other companies, from my experience, have better technical support. They might be able to improve this aspect of the solution a little bit.

While it's easy to access them, finding a solution to whatever problems you are dealing with takes a long time. They need to get better at turning around queries faster so clients aren't kept waiting for so long.

The initial setup is very straightforward. I wouldn't describe the process as complex.

Deployment takes one to two hours. Everything happens pretty fast.

The pricing is good. They are especially fair when compared with other companies, like Palo Alto, for example, which can get quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We work with a lot of manufacturers of firewalls. It's normally Fortinet, however, we also work with Cisco, Palo Alto, and Sophos. My company works with Barracuda as well. To be honest, I am not a specialist with Barracuda. I normally don't work with that.

That said, typically, when we work with clients, one of the first solutions we will suggest will be Fortinet. We do normally also recommend Cisco first, as well, due to the fact we are Cisco partners. We're also partners with Fortinet.

We have a deal with Palo Alto and our security center recommends Barracuda because of their other security solutions like WAF or solutions in the cloud (not their firewall).

Normally, we use the on-premise deployment model. At this moment, we are working with a public cloud deployment model as well.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable, with extensive features and good technical support
  • "There are a lot of features that we like within the solution. The resources or performance of the firewall is very good. However, the real selling point is the fact that the solution offers so many features, it gives our clients a lot of extras that they can work with. There's a lot on offer."
  • "Right now, it's very trendy to integrate everything into the cloud. This solution would be more effective if they did more integration in that regard."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our firewalls.

Basically we're providing security distribution for our client. One of the solutions we utilize are firewalls. It helps secure the environment and monitor traffic.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features that we like within the solution. The resources or performance of the firewall is very good. However, the real selling point is the fact that the solution offers so many features, it gives our clients a lot of extras that they can work with. There's a lot on offer.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution since 2016. It's been a few years now.

The solution is very stable, however, in rare instances where there happens to be a bug or glitch, the good thing about them is that they release fixes whenever there's a bug on the OS. Users will need to upgrade their OS if this is the case in order to get the fix. It's great that they deal with the bugs head-on and put out fixes efficiently.

The solution is quite scalable. It's one of its selling features. Although, I believe that most competitors would also scale just as well.

Support is very fast and reliable, but it absolutely depends on the ticket, or what it is comprised of or how hard the errors or problems are. Easy questions are dealt with quite quickly, but harder issues might take at least an hour or so before a user would get a reply.

We mostly focus on Fortinet products for our firewalls. We don't really use a different solution and haven't used something else in the past. I'm familiar with Sophos firewalls but have not deployed any just yet.

While Sophos is more expensive than Fortinet, from what I have seen, their functionality is basically the same. The difference between the two appears to be simply in the architecture of each solution. They are quite similar, but the user interface is a bit different.

I'm quite comfortable with the solution, so for me the process of installing the solution is quite straightforward. I would say it's very straightforward, and it's easy to learn, especially because they offer a very good GUI. It's not as easy to set up as, for example, FortiGate, which is an application on FortiOS. FortiOS is just a bit more complex.

The deployment time varies. It largely depends on the number of security policies that demand attention. It's most likely one day or so, so it's not too long. However, it can vary. You only need one person to deploy the product.

We implement the solution for our clients. We handle the deployment for them ourselves using our in-house team. Typically I'll be the one to deploy it for the clients directly, and then I'll hand everything over to after-sales support.

I'm not sure of the pricing, but my understanding, after looking into Sophos, is that Fortinet is less expensive than Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

We're using version 6.2 of the solution right now, however, the latest version available is 6.4.

I'm part of the security team at our organization. We're business partners with Fortinet.

I would advise other companies to choose a firewall brand that they can they afford. Cost is an important aspect. It needs to work well within an organization's budget. It doesn't make sense to look at products that are out of an organization's price range, so make sure you are looking at options that are affordable.

The second thing to consider is the solution's functionality. If that particular brand or particular product has the functionality required, and they are able to implement it on their network or in their infrastructure, that's a good sign.

The third consideration should be support. It's important for a company to understand how fast and how reliable the support is. That's very important after the sale.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

JOSEPH MILLER - PeerSpot reviewer
President at Key Solutions, Inc.
Also offers email filtering and data loss prevention
  • "All networks are security-driven, we get throughputs and security. We feel that the people at Fortinet are easy to deal with from a support standpoint. If they need to jump in and help us, they're very willing to do that. Their email filtering, their data loss prevention, their intrusion prevention, type of products in the newest OSs has been outstanding."
  • "It could more scalable for the lower end users."

What is our primary use case?

It's a security device. We use it to keep the bad guys away.

What is most valuable?

A firewall is a security appliance. FortiGate also does email filtering and does data loss prevention.

All networks are security-driven, we get throughputs and security. We feel that the people at Fortinet are easy to deal with from a support standpoint. If they need to jump in and help us, they're very willing to do that. Their email filtering, their data loss prevention, their intrusion prevention, type of products in the newest OSs has been outstanding.

I have been using Fortinet FortiOS for ten years.

The stability is excellent.

Scalability is wonderful. Affordability is really good.

Everybody's being protected by the firewall. The firewall device is using the operating system. And so, in that sense, you could say everybody is using it. The people that are actually technically working with the Fortinet devices are a handful, six to eight technicians.

We've used other solutions in the past. But we've settled into FortiGate for around 10 years.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's pretty much just plug and play. It takes hours.

They're very competitive and easy to work with in terms of pricing. I can't say, that's why we chose them, that's why we've stuck with them. It's a very well-respected name in the industry.

Everybody wants to go to Cisco for different things and everybody loves to hate Cisco. Cisco is a great product for large companies. They're low income, they're low-end products and their support for their low-end products leaves a lot to be desired. That's hence why SonicWall, Extreme Networks, and Fortinet are in business. There are these other smaller companies that are getting involved with the smaller companies, taking market shares away from Cisco because Cisco's support for their product is bad.

The support contracts are usually about $100 - $200 a device. The support contract usually includes software upgrades, hardware maintenance, and hardware break-fix. And they very seldom break.

I am looking at replacing some SonicWalls for a customer. I think SonicWall is its competition. SonicWall is got a good product, but I still believe that FortiGate is the best product for the people that we deal with.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone implementing this solution is not to take shortcuts. Shortcuts aren't good. Don't hesitate to use FortiGate's technical support.

Always buy support. Always buy FortiCare. You can buy it for one year, two years, or three years with the initial purchase. We always buy it and sell it to our customers for three years. And the product will last more than three years.

Fortinet competes in the big companies as well. We just don't. Our marketplace is the smaller users two or three, maybe four locations, 150 to 300 endpoints. So we're not dealing in the 10,000s of users trying to get into 100 of servers. We're dealing with tens and fifties and a hundred, trying to get into a few servers.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It could more scalable for the lower end users.

SoheylNorozi - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Cost-effective solution for medium-sized businesses and mid-range corporations but it has some product limitations
  • "A good network security system for medium-sized businesses with an excellent GUI interface that gives a graphic view of network status."
  • "While it is a solid solution, there are some product limitations which exclude it from deployment in some situations."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for deploying network security systems for SMBs or mid-range corporations.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the SSL VPN web portal and we actually find it very useful because we don't need to bother with installing additional client-side software.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part of the application is the graphic user interface of the application where you can see specifically what's going on in the system at a glance and quickly assess the system. The GUI is very good.

What needs improvement?

One thing that should be improved in future versions is an issue we have observed and had problems with a few times. When we try to reinstall a backup for FortiOS, you need to do a factory reset manually or you lose access to a device. I have experienced this situation a few times and it seems like something that should not be required and they should resolve.

We have been using the product for about five years.

I think the product is a pretty stable solution. I did have some cases with the webserver where the appliance actually crashed. Later I research about the issue and I found out that it was actually a bug in the latest version. I imagine that because they know they will issue a fix if they have not already.

I recommend this product to my clients partly because of the scalability. Scaling is never really a problem though it may cost more if the client requires additional licensing or hardware.

I don't often have to contact support. When I do I usually just get help from the online community. I really don't contact their support directly.

I go about initial setup by just implementing the configuration using CLI (Command Line Interface) to propagate the components. I think the initial setup is straightforward.

We are the consultants and we do the installations.

I think the cost of the product categorizes FortiOS because it is a bit more expensive than small businesses will usually want to spend. It is not really practical for SMB or for small businesses. It is mostly for mid-range or higher SMBs because of the pricing. It is not expensive compared to some products, but a small business may not justify the cost. The cost ends up being dependent on the solution you choose and if you want individual or package licensing.

As consultants, we provide different customers with different solutions based on what they need. So, there is no specific product that we evaluate as there are always several options. Mainly I use Fortinet or Sophos solutions to recommend to my customers. We will use on-premises or cloud depending on the needs and how it fits for the client. For Fortinet FortiOS we usually use it in on-premises installations.

What other advice do I have?

I do recommend this product to clients for use but it depends on their case needs. For example, in the AAA (Authentication Authorization and Accounting) some of the accounting and some of the VPN tunneling features are removed from Fortinet FortiOS due to some security configurations. In some projects, we need those features for the client and when that is the case, I cannot recommend that the client use the FortiOS solution.

It would be a better product if there were a logging feature. You need to have FortiAnalyzer in your installation to have logging management capabilities. It will be a better solution if some logging and history capabilities were integrated without requiring an additional product installation.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and 10 is the best, I would rate Fortinet FortiOS a seven. It is a good product but there are a few problems.

Product Manager & System Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
A stable solution with an easy initial setup, even for non-technical users
  • "The solution is extremely scalable."
  • "The solution needs to adjust its pricing models. With the way they are structured, everything is very disparate and sold separately, and, depending on the solution, it can get quite pricey."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for protecting our virtual infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to adjust its pricing model. With the way they are structured, everything is very disparate and sold separately, and, depending on the solution, it can get quite pricey.

The solution could be more intuitive. Especially when customers have access to it, it's not as simple and straightforward as some of the other devices I've taken a look at.

I've been working with the solution for five years.

The solution seems very stable once you have everything up and running.

The solution is extremely scalable.

Technical support is good. I would rate them nine out of ten.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

It wasn't technical people doing that deployment for the proof of concept, so it took about a day. We also hadn't set up all the features and capabilities.

We pay $100,000. That covers the cost of the hardware that we run the VN's on. That also includes any SGNA costs for the internal support tech.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Director Of Hosting Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Provides an easy and simple means of filtering traffic and establishing VPN connections and authentication
  • "This is an easy means of setting up high-availabilty firewall protection."
  • "The support is not very good, but the product is stable so it is not so much of a problem."

What is our primary use case?

For me, personally within our company, I am using this for business administration, but the company as a whole uses the product as a general firewall solution.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved our organization by providing an easy and simple means of filtering of traffic and establishing VPN connections and authentication.

What is most valuable?

The high-availability feature is the most valuable feature for our company. It is faster and more secure by creating a situation where there are more paths and less opportunity for failure and data loss.

What needs improvement?

While the product is good and does provide services we need for authenticating and establishing VPN connections, some time ago we had issues with logins. The login event and the performance for this feature were very poor but have improved.

The organization has been using this solution for about six years.

Excluding the login performance — which we would have issues with in the past that made us have to turn off the feature in order to examine the infrastructure — every other feature and functionality has proven to be stable. We have also experienced some issues with performance with filtering traffic but it was on the appliance and because it was just a basic setup.  The real problem was the configuration and had we been more familiar at the time, we would have done a better job with it. So it was not the product that was unstable, it was our application of it.

The solution is scalable, but we really have not had too much of a reason to put the scalability to the test. I cannot imagine an issue where we would have to scale more right now as we use two hardware installations and the high-availability feature manages the traffic. Two appliances for us seems like more than enough.

I think the technical support is not really very good. When we had some issues in the past and sent them to support, we waited a few weeks and in that time we managed to figure out the solution ourselves.

The one issue I am talking about was a very tricky issue, but they should know more about the product than we do even if we are doing the installations. Meanwhile, we had to wait and it was very inconvenient. So I think the process of the way they handle the management of issues could be improved. We managed to get some of the easier issues resolved in part through the support team initially, but when we reached the next level of difficulty, it lasted too long to get a resolution.

We had been using our own solution and wanted to go with a dedicated, packaged product. It was a business decision and would allow us to refocus our internal resources.

Because we have been doing installations of this product for five years, the installation is fairly easy. It was not very easy the first time but now we have a lot of experience in doing installations so, for us, it is easy to set up.

We do not use integrators or resellers as that is what we do and it is our responsibility.

As far as choosing the best licensing solution for your organization, do not buy the cheapest solution. Instead, buy the one that fits the traffic for your company with some room for expansion or headroom. Next year, if the business grows — which is usually what you want to do — you could reach a point where there is more traffic and the performance could become an issue.

What other advice do I have?

We have lots of experience in using and installing FortiOS, and because of the experience has mostly been positive, I recommend FortiOS as a solution for firewalling. Besides the few issues we have experienced in the past, this is a stable solution and the high-availability feature is very, very good.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would you rate Fortinet FortiOS as a nine. Despite the few problems we had in the past it is a very good solution which does what it is designed to do.

Mohamed Talbi - PeerSpot reviewer
Network and Security Engineer at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy setup and has good stability
  • "The initial setup is easy. It's the easiest firewall installation process on the market. I work with three or four other products and this one is the easiest."
  • "In terms of what needs improvements, the troubleshooting could use improvement. When we work with other products like Cisco ASA, Palo Alto, and Check Point, we see a big difference in the troubleshooting. It's not easy to find a report."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution. We use the standard model for our clients.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs improvements, the troubleshooting could use improvement. When we work with other products like Cisco ASA, Palo Alto, and Check Point, we see a big difference in the troubleshooting. It's not easy to find a report. In order to overcome the problem, you have to install FortiAnalyzer to help you find the troubleshooting problem. FortiOS has its limitations.

I work with many products but this is the most stable OS I have seen. With Cisco, for example, if you do an upgrade, it's not guaranteed that the production will be stable. The upgraded release will release many bugs. FortiOS isn't like this.

There is something called Fortinet Fabric that helps you to enforce your security by connecting all of your products with FortiGate. For example, if you install FortiClient on your PC it will help you use the VPN and the antivirus. When there is an issue, if you have 1,000 users with FortiClient will send a message to FortiGate. I have many projects and I use FortiManager to manage them. It helps my team minimize implementation time.

We have thousands of user using this solution. Only one person is required for the deployment.

Their technical support has its positives and negatives. If you contact them, they are responsive and interactive and they have good solutions to the problem. The issue is with the support documents. When you need to do something advanced, there isn't good documentation for it. For basic tasks, there are plenty of videos and information but for advanced tasks or solutions, there is not.

The time it takes to deploy will depend on the needs of the company and how complex they are. A basic installation will take one hour.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have 24/7 support because the documentation is poor and you will need the support. It's important to have a support team and a support contract.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because of the troubleshooting. Other solutions have a mechanism to find your IP network. Cisco has something called Packet Tracer which is very advanced that helps you test your configuration. It really helps the engineers to test without affecting the product environment.

Technical Manager at AL HIBA INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
Reseller
Has good caching features but technical support needs improvement
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution would be the caching feature."
  • "Their technical support needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use different types of deployment models of this solution besides for the public cloud. Our primary use case is to install it for many clients on their on-prem site. Our job is client-based. We are resellers of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution would be the caching feature.

What needs improvement?

Their technical support needs improvement.

All products have pluses and minuses. It will depend on a client's use case.

We have been using Fortinet FortiOS for around eight to nine years.

The stability is good.

Scalability is good.

Sometimes it is difficult to get support. It can take time to get an answer to our problems. They don't always know what the solution is.

They also offer online support.

The initial setup is complex. The deployment takes eight to nine months.

The pricing will depend. It can depend on your partner. Sometimes your partner can get you a better price.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't specifically recommend one product of this type over another. We provide a plethora of products and it depends on the client's needs.

I would rate this solution a six or seven out of ten. We deal with a lot of products, this one is okay. It really depends on the client.

Principal Cyber Security Architect at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
Technical support offers good regional support and it has good scaling options

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution and on the cloud. Our primary use case of this solution is for bandwidth management and VPN.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs improvement, the pricing could be lower. The price is very steep.

I would like to see in the next release that any client, even small ones from a home office, can run on any access point, not just the one that can be used with Fortinet. It should have an appliance that can be used to support and manage other access points. All the products should be uniform and easy to find.

I have been using Fortinet FortiOS for around three years.

It is quite stable. It is easy for me to integrate interfaces.

It has a lot of scalability abilities which makes it easy to scale.

Their technical support is quite good an informative. They also offer regional support which has been good. We are satisfied.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. I would recommend it to someone considering it.

KevinTafuro - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at Cloudjet
Very stable and scalable with great technical support
  • "What I like about this solution, is that it is the only solution that currently offers VPN for clients."
  • "In the future I would like to see more user-friendly dashboards and a drop in the price."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiOS as a perimeter firewall. On top of that, we use another application as a web application firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

Great logging analsys with fortianalyzer

What is most valuable?

FortiVPN I think is the only one vpn that can be shared with customers and employees, however another features is FortiVM that allow us to have onne solution from Onpremise datacenter to cloud datacenters.

What needs improvement?

Docker Container to have a good integration with kubernetes and more throughput as Cisco FP

I've been using Fortinet FortiOS for five, six years now.

My impression of the stability of the solution is good just one support case opened to fortinet, in next firewall update I will choose again fortinet

We currently have 200 users, and we plan to increase them, so I believe in his scalability while users increase.

The technical support is great, good solutions and an excellent proactivity.

I used Palo Alto NG Firewalls before but I wasn't impressed by the features it offer and the  price was also too high.

I did the installation myself but I can't remember if the initial setup was easy. I remember the deployment took about five days. It was very long ago, so I can't remember well.

I've implemented it by myself with another colleague, probably in next firewall update I will engage the vendor team.

We pay an annual license fee. It is rather expensive so I would like to perhaps see a drop in price in the future.

I didn't evaluate other options because I like the experience I had with Fortinet, so I simply prefer Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other customers would be to have good knowledge about the traffic in their network. In the future, I would like to see more user-friendly dashboards and a drop in the price. My rating for this solution is therefore only eight out of ten.

Mohamed  Fouad - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Great application control and good customer support but I would like to see a drop in the price

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this program is for application control and internet commitment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a drop in the license fees because it is a rather expensive program.

I have been using Fortinet FortiOS for two years as IT manager at my company.

In my experience the program is very stable.

We currently have around 50 users in our company working on this program. We don't have any plans to increase our usage soon, but I believe the program is scalable.

The technical support is very good. The assistance they gave was very good and I learned a lot from them.

The initial setup was straightforward and it took us about two to three days to deploy the program.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this program to others, and I rate it a nine out of ten.

Chukwunenye Ekwe Jnr. - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Presale Manager at a tech services company with self employed
A feature-rich and stable solution, but the GUI needs to be improved
  • "All of the features in this solution are effective and efficient."
  • "The GUI could be improved to make it more usable, easier to administer, and easier to configure."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant, and I have worked with solutions from many different vendors. Depending on what the customer wants, we help to select the solution. This is one of the solutions that I have serviced in a client environment.

What is most valuable?

All of the features in this solution are effective and efficient. They are dependent on the environment in the organization.

What needs improvement?

The policies and the way that they are applied can be improved. It could be more direct, as it is an issue for some people. Generally, policy management could be made better and simpler to deploy.

The GUI could be improved to make it more usable, easier to administer, and easier to configure.

I have been working with this product for several months.

I think it's a stable solution.

We have been deploying this solution in small and medium-sized environments, with no more than fifty users, and it has always been effective.

I don't think that we have had any issues with technical support for this solution.

The difficulty of the initial setup depends on who is handling it. Definitely, there are challenges, but if you have a proper understanding of what you're supposed to do, then it is straightforward to work with.

For me, I think that the physical box is more straightforward to work with, but it depends on who is doing it. If you get your architecture right then it is a pretty straightforward deployment. If you don't, then you run into issues that you will need to troubleshoot.

What other advice do I have?

For my requirements and expectations, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Khaled Barakat - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Consultant at ezz elarab
Good configuration, easy to use, and offers various functions
  • "I like its configuration and the various functions it offers."
  • "For me, it is important to be able to block VPN applications, like Facebook, so I would like to see that included in the next release. With this version, if you want to block or allow a site, you now have to drag all the domains related to this site."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a data center.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet is very easy to use. I like its configuration and the various functions it offers.

I think the most common use for a firewall system is web filtering and application filtering. The program has other features too, like anti-virus and other security features, but I think that some of the usage is there to control and connect web filtering and application filtering and to control what comes in and what goes out.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for three months now.

The program is very stable.

The scalability is very high.

The customer service is very nice because they answered my questions when I asked them about the program before buying it. The technical support is great too, because they called me back with a solution to my question.

The initial setup was straightforward and I did it myself. I downloaded it, read the instructions and started the deployment, which took only about an hour.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten and I will definitely recommend it to others because many people are using it around the world now.

Head of Infrastructure Network at innovectives
Excellent integration with an open API and a very easy to use interface
  • "The interface is easy to understand, so when there are threats you get alerts. It's quite intuitive, but if you are ever confused they have instructional videos. For example, if you don't understand a graph there's a link to a video that explains what the graph means. It makes it very user-friendly."
  • "The solution is good, but they have poor marketing in Nigeria. They need to market their product better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for banks, whereby they want to secure their edge network, to filter their web application and block forms, etc. We also are able to integrate AWS using secure channels. It's more robust and they have different modes including nap, flow, and proximity.

What is most valuable?

You can apply patterns to look for. That can be done for applications also. You can ask for a specific feature to become a pattern.  If you were using Office 360 and had 2 ISPs, automatically using SD-WAN will allow you to switch over to the other link based on the criteria you can set yourself. You don't need to go to the device to manually sort and link it, it does it automatically.

Users can go directly to the cloud from the branch instead of routing to the head office and then the cloud. That will reduce the cost of routing, so you just pay for internet service and you have access to the cloud.

What needs improvement?

They need to work on their support. Cisco has the best technical support. In comparison, Fortinet's support takes too long. If you are paying for SLAs, you should also get value from your SLAs.

Right now, everybody is moving to the cloud. The solution has already worked on that aspect, and they are embedding security to the cloud. However, security can be more enhanced and as long as they continue to offer more protection I'll be happy.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. It allows for API integrations so you can actually integrate into other security solutions.

Technical support could be more qualified and offer a quicker turnaround.

The initial setup is very straightforward, especially if that person understands security.

We integrate solutions on the client's request. Most times I push on Fortinet, as it's a robust system.

You can integrate your endpoint with Fortinet. You can integrate the cloud on-premises. Because the solution is so robust and offers excellent the features we tend to enjoy using FortiOS. Cisco is similar, however, and we do work with them too.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

We are an integrator, so we do integrations using Fortinet, Cisco, Sophos, and Palo Alto.

If you're an SMB or a small enterprise, I would recommend Fortinet.

I would advise users to make sure they are getting value for what they are paying for. I can say that Fortinet is not as expensive as the others, but it also gives good value. The main thing is not about the cost, but the value and Fortinet delivers on that front.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Tech Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
An excellent co-firewall that's very user-friendly but should be more cloud-based
  • "For my organization, it has become much easier to scan the firewalls because the solution is more user-friendly than competitors."
  • "The signature discs, compared to Palo Alto, aren't as good. It takes more time to get the signature updates."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a co-firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

For my organization, it has become much easier to scan the firewalls because the solution is more user-friendly than its competitors.

What is most valuable?

We've found the threat detection very valuable. The entire platform is user-friendly. It's easier compared to Check Point or Juniper firewalls.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be on the cloud a bit more.

There should be a cookie eater.

I've been using the solution for more than three years.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support for the solution is very good.

We ended up choosing the solution because of its ease of use and it troubleshooting steps were easy to control.

The initial setup is straightforward. You need about two to three people for deployment and maintenance.

Licensing is renewed on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. As a co-firewall, it does a good job.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Emmanuel Munisi - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Field Engineer at Double Click Company
A user-friendly interface for both IPS and the integrated anti-virus
  • "The most valuable features are the intrusion prevention system and the anti-virus."
  • "I would like to see smaller and more frequent updates."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller, and I deployed the public cloud version of this solution for a client on Microsoft Azure.

How has it helped my organization?

Due to instability of internet here in East Africa ,it will be great if the updates for FortOS could be small and so much size that could utilise more bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The interface is more user-friendly than other products, but moving between the VPN and anti-virus features is not as easy for people who are inexperienced with the solution.

What needs improvement?

The internet service is not as reliable in East Africa as in other parts of the world, and as such, the bandwidth that is required for updating the Fortinet OS should be reduced. I would like to see smaller and more frequent updates.

Two years.

So far, the solution has been stable. I have not had any complaints from the customer.

The scalability is one of the great features of this solution.

We did not have to contact technical support.

I have had experience working with Check Point UTM. These products have the same features. However, the user interface and support for Fortinet are superior to Check Point.

The initial setup of this solution was straightforward. The deployment took at most three hours. When the deployment was complete, the only job that was left was for the system administrator on the client's side.

According to our customer, they have not experienced any difficulties.

We handled the deployment of this solution for our customer.

Three people are enough for deployment, with one configuring the network and two working on the systems.

It is easy to show a return on investment with this solution because it is easy to scale.

What other advice do I have?

The only advice I have for anybody who is implementing this solution to make sure that they have a proper internet connection with good bandwidth.

Overall, the Fortinet OS is great.

Bas Bonvanie - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at HeisterkaMP
All in one product with good unified threat management features
  • "The fact that is it has a UTM, a Unified Threat Management feature is the most valuable aspect for us. It's an all in one product. It's like our one-stop-shop to the internet."
  • "The complexity of the VPNs should be improved."

What is most valuable?

The fact that is it has a UTM, a Unified Threat Management feature is the most valuable aspect for us. It's an all in one product. It's like our one-stop-shop to the internet.

What needs improvement?

The complexity of the VPNs should be improved. Certain versions of the operating system don't function with our current Fortinet unit. For instance, we've got a 60D FortiGate at our branch offices and the 60D FortiGate doesn't support the latest version of the 40 OS. Because of this, certain Wi-Fi access points that depend on those operating systems don't function so well. So that has room for improvement. I'd like to see that happen.

I've been using the solution for around six or seven years.

My impression is the solution is very stable.

I find the solution scalable. With my current employer, we have a high available cluster. You can extend it and also extend it with Wi-fi access points because the controller of the Wi-Fi access points is also in the 40GB range. We've got about 300 personnel in the offices and we've got about 1,000 or more employees in the trucks and they all use it, at different times.

Technical support has been pretty good. At one point, because we've got a lot of drivers - we're a transportation organization - those drivers have mobile phones and at one point we implemented a new mobile phone which uses the Wi-Fi network. The new phones couldn't connect with the Wi-Fi access point and Fortinet pretty much came in quickly with a patch for the Wi-Fi access points.

The initial setup was straightforward. It comes with a quick book, a manual, and without any experience from day one, I implemented successfully without any help. It was pretty straightforward.

I implemented the solution myself.

Seven years ago I was looking into Palo Alto Firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good reliable product. I'd rate it as a solid eight out of 10. It has room left for improvement.

We'd chosen the solution because of the price and the support contract, but just a few years later the support contact pricing was all of a sudden pretty steep. They increased it by 20% to 30% from one year to another year, and it's hard to explain why.

Technical Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
As always there is room for improvement in any product, we have always struggled with reporting
  • "We have expanded the wireless access point and switches using Fortinet FortiOS."
  • "The additional features I would like to see included in the next release is better troubleshooting and reporting."

What is our primary use case?

Network edge security, single Entry/Exit for multiple branches. and recently have started with SDWAN investigations and labs.

How has it helped my organization?

Having used the FortiOS for a period, the improvement of functions and additions have been both "Great" and "Poor," as one gets used to using a product, menu and layout changes can be a bit confusing at first, however you slowly start to get more familiar over time.

What is most valuable?

VPN Services, and FortiView for quick troubleshooting and tracking.

What needs improvement?

Reporting, having only recently migrated to 6.04 there will be some time to see what improvements have been made, with some of the menu changes and inclusions through the versions.

We have been making use of FortiGate for close to ten years and multiple OS Versions.

in 10 years, we have had little to no issues with the functionality, stability of the product from my standpoint has been very stable, preventative maintenance schedules, and keeping up with the latest information on the product is key.

We have had no issues to date.

We have an array of products that are specific to our environments, and the requirements around the service needed for that specific environment, FortiOs ticked the boxes to the best match for our requirement.

The initial setup of Fortinet FortiOS was straightforward, with the new inclusion of SDWAN there are some learning still to be done but in general, if the planning is done correctly the intitial setup is a breeze.

A combination of both was used.

What other advice do I have?

Research and plan, ensure that the product falls in line with your requirement and has room to grow, and don't let a Product dictate your requirements.

Download our free Fortinet FortiOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022