Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Fortinet FortiGate SWG OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiGate SWG is #7 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiGate SWG an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Fortinet FortiGate SWG is most commonly compared to Cisco Umbrella: Fortinet FortiGate SWG vs Cisco Umbrella. Fortinet FortiGate SWG is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Fortinet FortiGate SWG?

As Enterprises continue to rearchitect their WAN Edge with rapid migration of applications to the cloud, the attack surface at the remote sites/branch locations continues to increase. This risk is especially high for web-based traffic, as web-based threat continue to be one of the primary attack vectors. As attack techniques become more advanced and versatile, organizations need an integrated approach to secure against external and internal risks. Fortinet's secure web gateway provides flexible deployment options to protect against internet-based threats without compromising on end-user experience.

Fortinet FortiGate SWG was previously known as FortiGate SWG, FortiGate Secure Web Gateway.

Fortinet FortiGate SWG Customers
Salt Lake County, Catholic College Bendigo, Azienda Unita Sanitaria
Fortinet FortiGate SWG Video

Fortinet FortiGate SWG Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiGate SWG pricing:
  • "It is less expensive than a Cisco solution."
  • "Pricing for Fortinet FortiGate SWG is more suitable for enterprise or large-sized organizations because they are the ones who can afford it versus small and medium-sized organizations."
  • "The pricing for this solution is reasonable."
  • "We pay about $4,000 for a yearly license, and there aren't any additional fees."
  • "It is around $50,000 per month."
  • Fortinet FortiGate SWG Reviews

David Carlson - PeerSpot reviewer
    CIO at Camco Mfg.
    Non-IT people could plug it in, connect it to the fiber, and get it running without IT help.
    • "FortiGate is easy to configure. We configured one of the units and sent it to Indiana to be installed. We asked them to give us a call when they got it, so we could help them through the process, but they called us back to tell us it works great."
    • "Fortinet needs to continue to improve network traceability. Other than that, we haven't run into anything that would give me any concern."

What is our primary use case?

We're a manufacturing shop. So we have 500-700 users on FortiGate SWG and various devices on the manufacturing floor and inside the warehouse using it. Our ERP is on-premises in the United States, so traffic from Asia to the US passes through it.

Eventually, it's going to be used throughout the enterprise. So we're using the gateways today. We have purchased two access points for wifi. Fortinet's devices all talk to each other and use the same management platform. We're planning to transition to 100 percent Fortinet gradually.

How has it helped my organization?

We adopted Fortigate to go to SD-WAN. When I looked at the market, I found Fortigate offered some of the best SD-WAN capabilities, and they're reasonably priced compared to some of their competitors.

We went to SD-WAN because we're moving to Microsoft Dynamics for finance and operations and putting our telephone system into the cloud. As we shift more and more capabilities into the cloud, we need the ability to manage and monitor everything. If we're putting our ERP into the cloud and have performance issues, I need to understand if it's a problem with the internal network, the cloud connection, or Microsoft. Fortinet can pinpoint the source of the problem, so we can work with the right people to get it resolved.

What is most valuable?

FortiGate is easy to configure. We configured one of the units and sent it to Indiana to be installed. We asked them to give us a call when they got it, so we could help them through the process, but they called us back to tell us it works great.

Non-IT people could plug it in, connect it to the fiber, and get it running without  IT help. That was fantastic. Fortinet also offers a single pane of glass that we can use to manage our routers with gateways, so that's convenient. We're running a VPN to our remote location, and the performance is good. We're changing all our VPN connectors on our laptops from Cisco's Anywhere to Fortinet's VPN because the performance is just so much better.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet needs to continue to improve network traceability. Other than that, we haven't run into anything that would give me any concern. Their support team has been fantastic. One went down, and they immediately sent me a replacement. Everything that they've done has been great.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, Netskope and others in Secure Web Gateways (SWG). Updated: September 2022.
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using FortiGate SWG for about  six months now.

FortiGate is highly stable.

I was pleased with the scalability.  We have a mid-range appliance in our headquarters and entry-level devices in our remote sites. They all perform extremely well. We did never needed to purchase their largest devices to get the performance we need.

I rate Fortinet support eight out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We switched from Cisco to Fortinet for a host of reasons, including price. It's also easier to set up and manage.  Cisco requires you to understand how to configure the bare metal, which requires configuration inside the switch, but Fortinet lets you set up profiles and download them.

I was hoping FortiGate would be more straightforward to set up than it was, but my team has been working with it for around six months. They're getting up to speed and learning to manage it on their own. I have two people on my infrastructure team working on it part-time as one of their many responsibilities.

We're still deploying it and waiting on equipment in Asia. We just got the United States up and running. It took a couple of months because we have six sites. However, we weren't actively doing things for most of that time. We did the headquarters and two other locations in the same city. Next, we set up our remote sites.

We did have an integrator come in and help us in the original setup, but now my team is managing it. You could do it in-house, but there's a learning curve. If you're a Cisco shop moving to Fortinet, your team needs to learn Fortinet byou can to do it in-house.

Fortinet has a good training program, and you can become certified just like Cisco. You mainly need to use an outside provider so you don't have to undergo that learning curve before you can be productive. They're also going to know the tricks of the trade to do it best.

When we were using Cisco, we had a hot fiber connection and a backup in case of issues. One reason we wanted to go to SD-WAN is to be live-live. We wanted to ensure sure that we could use all our internet connections at the same time and not have anything sitting in a backup situation. It's moving traffic much better.

FortiGate is priced reasonably. We bought a spare to have in case of issues.  It was only $500 for the raw hardware and around $2,000 more annually year for the support and subscription.

We looked at four or five different vendors with SD-WAN capabilities, including Fortinet, VMware, and Cisco.  We went with FortiGate because of ease of use and price.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiGate SWG eight out of 10. It's a solid product that's easy to install. At the end of the day, there's no reason to use a firewall without SD-WAN capabilities. It brings so many more features to the table.

IT Engineering Manager at Mission Critical Partners
    Easier to configure than other solutions, really reliable, and scalable
    • "It is simpler to configure. It is not like Cisco Firepower, where you go crazy trying to follow the Cisco documentation to figure out how to configure one little thing. Unlike Cisco Firepower, where you can't do everything through the web interface and you have got to do some command line stuff, Fortinet FortiGate SWG is simpler. There are four different things in Cisco to get in, which is not the case with Fortinet FortiGate SWG. It is one of my favorite solutions to work with. I would much rather work with it than Cisco Firepower, for example. Even though I've got 20 years of Cisco experience with different firewalls, I would much prefer this solution."
    • "Their technical support could be improved a little bit in terms of responsiveness."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it to protect their network. They're into public safety. They're police, fire, and EMS, and they're very concerned about security and what gets in and what doesn't get into their networks. We have got another client for whom we're deploying 30 firewalls in HA pairs over a huge network. That, of course, is a Cisco setup, not FortiGate.

Everybody is cranking up on security to find new ways to block and protect not just the inbound but also the outbound traffic. They want to protect what goes out. They also want to protect DMZs and all that kind of stuff.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for almost three years.

For me, so far, it is fire and forget. You just set it up, and you really don't have to mess with it. It has been really reliable. It hasn't gone down, and I haven't had any outages.

It is scalable.

Technical support is okay. It, of course, depends on the kind of contract that you have. I've had better support from Cisco than from Fortinet when I'm having a problem that I can't figure out. Fortinet support is not bad, and they do get to the solution. However, they can be a little bit more responsive. That's the nice thing with Cisco. When you've got a network down issue, and they can get people on the phone immediately, and they stay with you until it is done. I find Fortinet's documentation better than Cisco's documentation.

We didn't have anything before, so this was brand new.

It is fairly straightforward. The only complexity to it is that it has a little bit longer setup than the old generation firewall thing, where you slap an IP address on the outside and the inside interface and turn it on, and you're going to have a basic firewall. You have got to go through several configuration steps to get it to a good base setup.

It is less expensive than a Cisco solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you are brand new to this solution, you're going to want to read the documentation and follow it while setting it up because otherwise, you will miss something. To use this solution, you've got to know what you're doing. You can't just take someone who is a decent network guy and expect him to figure out what he has to do. It isn't that simple.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate SWG an eight out of ten.

September 2022
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Suresh Vijayen - PeerSpot reviewer
    Product Manager at IX Telecom
    Reseller
    Provides helpful technical support, but its dashboard needs to be more user-friendly
    • "The solution is superior to Cisco in terms of security."
    • "What could be improved in Fortinet FortiGate SWG is its pricing because it's a bit higher. If it's cheaper, my company could pitch it to customers and engage with customers better about it. What I'd like to see in the next release of Fortinet FortiGate SWG is an improvement in its dashboard or GUI. I'd like it to be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Clients use Fortinet FortiGate SWG for anything that goes into the internet.

What is most valuable?

Lately, my company has been using the Fortinet S series more compared to Fortinet FortiGate SWG. My company has tried all the features of Fortinet FortiGate SWG, but I'm unable to say which feature I found most valuable in it, though the solution is superior to Cisco in terms of security.

What needs improvement?

What could be improved in Fortinet FortiGate SWG is its pricing because it's a bit higher. If it's cheaper, my company could pitch it to customers and engage with customers better about it.

What I'd like to see in the next release of Fortinet FortiGate SWG is an improvement in its dashboard or GUI. I'd like it to be more user-friendly.

Fortinet FortiGate SWG is a stable solution.

Fortinet FortiGate SWG is a scalable solution.

Technical support for Fortinet FortiGate SWG was very helpful. I'm rating their support a four out of five.

The initial setup for Fortinet FortiGate SWG was straightforward. I'm rating the setup four out of five.

I don't have the exact details on how much Fortinet FortiGate SWG costs yearly, but if I were to rate its price on a scale of one to five, with one being the worst and five being the best, I'm rating it a two out of five.

Pricing for Fortinet FortiGate SWG is more suitable for enterprise or large-sized organizations because they are the ones who can afford it versus small and medium-sized organizations.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller and implementer of Fortinet FortiGate SWG. I'm dealing with various solutions and various vendors such as Cisco, Aruba, and Fortinet, based on customer requirements.

I've provided Fortinet FortiGate SWG to a client for the past year.

I currently don't have the details on the number of Fortinet FortiGate SWG users in the client's organization, but it's being used daily.

In terms of security, Fortinet FortiGate SWG is superior compared to Cisco. In terms of pricing, I would prefer Cisco.

I'm rating Fortinet FortiGate SWG six out of ten. If they would change the GUI and improve it, that would make my rating higher, because it's on the GUI where people do all their activities. Making the solution more user-friendly will also increase my rating for it.

MdZaman - PeerSpot reviewer
    Deputy Manager at JTI (Japan Tobacco International)
    Reliable with good manageability and a straightforward setup process
    • "We have found the product to be scalable."
    • "The product needs to drastically improve its reporting capability."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution as a hosted gateway.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable and reliable. The performance has been good.

We have found the product to be scalable.

The manageability has been excellent so far.

The initial setup is pretty simple and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The product needs to drastically improve its reporting capability. Right now, that is what is lacking. They need to offer monitoring dashboards.

The product should be more user-friendly and attractive. The interface doesn't look as nice as it could.

I've just used the solution for a few months.

The performance has been great. it's stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand, it can do so.

We have 80 to 100 people on the solution currently.

Technical support is great. It's already pretty fast.

We did not use a different solution previously.

The implementation process is easy. It's not overly difficult.

The last time we set it up, it took a maximum of 45 minutes to one hour to deploy - apart from the racking. When it is on-prem and I install it in the rack, it’s powered on, then the configuration takes a maximum of 45 minutes.

We only needed one technical person to manage the deployment.

We have a consultant that helps us with setting up the solution. Actually, we have the managed service with them as well.

We have a three-year licensing agreement with FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution a nine out of ten.

I'd advise potential new users that, if they want to use it, they need to plan and design their business case, including what things they want to use and how to publish their application securely. If they can plan ahead, then they will be successful during deployment.

Microsoft Azure
    ChandanMunshi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Technical Officer at Provision Technologies LLP
    Security solution with an intuitive user interface and knowledgable technical support
    • "The user interface is intuitive. Anyone can configure the firewall with little knowledge of the product. The back-end is robust with good security."
    • "We have experienced a number of failures when trying to upgrade firmware and the process takes a long time. We only experienced this when doing major upgrades between versions."

What is our primary use case?

We use the firewall to protect our internal network and endpoints or servers and to establish the VPN with our other locations. We also use this solution to aggregate multiple WAN links using SD-WAN.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is intuitive. Anyone can configure the firewall with little knowledge of the product. The back-end is robust with good security.

All entries in the firewall are linked to all relevant items. For example, if I create one IP address for a LAN segment and I use that IP address in a particular group or if I create a policy or rule inside the firewall, it will be tagged and linked. This makes it easy to identify where and how a particular object is being used.

By clicking on a single point, we can view to all other relevant records. I found this very useful for our tech team and IT admins.

What needs improvement?

We have experienced a number of failures when trying to upgrade firmware and the process takes a long time. We only experienced this when doing major upgrades between versions. We have not experienced this challenge with other solutions.

Fortinet has a policy of pushing all logs into the cloud but the log management is sluggish and slow. The problem is on the site or application where the cloud is hosted.

We have used this solution for more than five years.

This is a stable solution. I have many customers whose firewalls have been running for a couple of years without any periods of downtime.

The Fortinet back-end team are quite experienced and very helpful. In some cases they take more time than expected. The ETA for resolution could be better.

We are a partner of Fortinet and have a dedicated support team for our Fortinet customers. When they need assistance, we encourage them to contact us instead of Fortinet so that we can resolve their queries faster.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The pricing for this solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

IT Management at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    A good solution for a mid-sized company and not too expensive
    • "FortiGate is easy to use, and I also like its VPN."
    • "FortiGate's reporting features could provide a better picture of what is happening in the box."

What is our primary use case?

FortiGate SWG is primarily an antivirus but it also features application control and intrusion prevention.

How has it helped my organization?

FortiGate SWG has helped us control what employees do on the internet because people waste a lot of time using social networks, watching videos, etc.

What is most valuable?

FortiGate is easy to use, and I also like its VPN.

What needs improvement?

FortiGate's reporting features could provide a better picture of what is happening in the box.

I've been using FortiGate for a few years, and I think it's a good solution for a medium-sized company.

FortiGate is highly stable.

FortiGate is scalable. They have a new few solutions to solve some reports in the cloud and send the information. And I believe FortiGate can integrate with different products to make it stronger. The product has about a hundred end-users. However, we're considering switching to other options because we're looking for stronger routing capabilities to be more secure.

I've never used technical support directly from Fortinet. The last time I needed support, I contacted our partner. He knows the configuration very well and resolved the problems.

I'd say that setting up FortiGate is moderately complex. It isn't too easy and took about four days to deploy. We had to set up the box and start making the configurations. One engineer is enough to handle it.

We used a partner to deploy. The experience was good.

We pay about $4,000 for a yearly license, and there aren't any additional fees.

We evaluated something called Planet Solutions, but its administration wasn't strong like Fortinet's.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiGate SWG nine out of 10. It's a good solution and not too expensive. FortiGate is an all-in-one solution, unlike Cisco's, where you have to pay extra for web filtering. The traffic control is included, so it's a good solution for a medium-sized company.

Crewmem67 - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Consultant at College Notre Dame de Nazareth
    Reliable, great pricing, and capable of expanding
    • "The pricing on offer is excellent."
    • "It could always be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

This is a Secure Web Gateway that protects you against various web attacks. It's used mainly for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable. It's reliable.

It can scale.

The pricing on offer is excellent.

What needs improvement?

It takes a long time to install the solution.

It could always be more secure.

I've been using the solution for three or four years. I've used it for a while at this point.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance has been good.

The scalability is okay. It can expand well.

We have 200 people using the solution. We do have plans to continue to increase usage.

I've never reached out to techncial support. I can't speak to their abilities.

I also have experience with Cisco and Palo Alto. About five years ago, we were using Cisco. We changed due to the better pricing.

I don't directly deal with the deployment. Someone else handles that process.

My understanding is the implementation takes a long time.

The price is pretty reasonable. It's not like Cisco or Palo Alto, which are more expensive.

I'd rate the cost, in terms of affordability, a five out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd likely recommend the solution to others.

Data Center Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Very secure, stable, and scalable
    • "The security for endpoints is the most valuable. It is very secure for our workers. It allows us to secure a transaction and enable security for a specific segment in the workflow."
    • "I would like the deployment and integration of this product to be easier. We should be able to deploy the features more easily and have different types of access. It should be easier to integrate. Currently, we need to develop APIs to use this interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to secure connections for communication. This solution is deployed on the cloud and on-premises. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The security for endpoints is the most valuable. It is very secure for our workers. It allows us to secure a transaction and enable security for a specific segment in the workflow.

What needs improvement?

I would like the deployment and integration of this product to be easier. We should be able to deploy the features more easily and have different types of access. It should be easier to integrate. Currently, we need to develop APIs to use this interface.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is very stable.

Its scalability is good. We have 1,000 users of this solution in our organization. Currently, our usage of this solution is 50%.

They have 24/7 support.

We were using a different solution, and we switched because of the security and price.

It was complex earlier, but it is not that complex now. It took us about 24 hours to implement it. It was quick. It is integrated with the services that our IT team has. We have all the high-value services, such as support services, monitoring services, and integration services.

It is around $50,000 per month.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate SWG an eight out of ten.

Download our free Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, Netskope, and more!
    Updated: September 2022