Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Fortinet FortiClient OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiClient is #1 ranked solution in top Endpoint Compliance tools, #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools, and #6 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiClient an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Fortinet FortiClient is most commonly compared to OpenVPN Access Server: Fortinet FortiClient vs OpenVPN Access Server. Fortinet FortiClient is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 49% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
Fortinet FortiClient Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiClient Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Fortinet FortiClient?

FortiClient is a fabric agent that delivers endpoint protection, endpoint compliance, and secure access in a single, lightweight, lightweight client, providing visibility, information, and control to your endpoints. In addition, it enables secure, remote connectivity to the security fabric. It also integrates network and endpoint with segmentation and automation. FortiClient enables unified endpoint awareness by sharing endpoint telemetry with the security fabric. It is compatible with third-party EDR (endpoint detection and response and anti-malware solutions.

The FortiClient fabric agent can:

• Report on the status of a device, including firmware version and applications running.
• Send all suspicious files to a fabric sandbox.
• Enforce USB control, application control, URL filtering, and firmware upgrade policies.
• Provide application firewall service and malware protection.
• Enable devices to connect securely to the security fabric over either ZTNA tunnels or VPN (IPsec or SSL), both encrypted. The connection to the security fabric can be either a SASE service or a FortiGate next-generation firewall.

You can purchase FortiClient with one of three levels of capability:

Zero Trust security - The ZTNA edition enables both VPN and ZTNA encrypted tunnels, as well as USB device control and URL filtering.
Endpoint security - The EPP/APT edition adds AI-based NGAV (next-generation antivirus), application firewall, endpoint quarantine, and support for cloud sandbox.
Cloud-based endpoint security

Benefits and Features

• Fabric agent leverages integrations and provides telemetry information to the rest of the Fortinet security fabric.
• SAAS control and web/content filtering
• Dynamic access control helps with automation and simplifies compliance.
• Software inventory management enables visibility as well as management of licenses.
• Automated response detects and isolates any endpoints that may be compromised.
• ZTNA delivers better remote access and consistent application access policies
• Managed endpoint security services remotely assist with setup, configuration, deployment, vulnerability monitoring, and overall monitoring of endpoint security.

Reviews from Real Users:

IT Central Station users like that FortiClient is easy to use and integrates well with other solutions. They also appreciate the richness of its features and find it to be inexpensive in comparison to other products that require separate purchases for separate features.

Fortinet FortiClient was previously known as FortiClient.

Fortinet FortiClient Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiClient Video

Archived Fortinet FortiClient Reviews (more than two years old)

Muhammed Amimul Ehsan - PeerSpot reviewer
AGM at Partex Star Group
Secure VPN access for remote network users that is free but takes to long to install
  • "It supports securely connections for VPN users from outside our environment during the lockdown."
  • "It seems to be more scalable than we thought."
  • "The technical support from Fortinet and local vendors is good."
  • "It takes too long to install."
  • "The user interface could be more inviting."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for FortiClient is just for its capability to securely connect VPN users from outside our environment during the lockdown. It has strong authentication.

We use it for a VPN client for our network users. They just connect to our network in order to get access to our enterprise environment and for the EFT (Electronic File Transfer) system.

What is most valuable?

FortiClient is valuable because it is free for us to use to provide VPN services to the people who need to access our network from external locations.

What needs improvement?

This product is very good. Graphically, it is okay, but this may be one area where it could be better. It should be more graphically inviting. It is okay as it is, but it could be improved.

If I compare FortiClient VPN and OpenVPN, FortiClient VPN takes too much time while installing on someone's computer or laptop. I do not know why that is. The installation takes too much time compared to OpenVPN. OpenVPN is a very light software. It is installed in a couple of seconds. It does not make sense that FortiClient takes so long to install. I just feel it is a problem that could be addressed.

We have been using Fortinet FortiClient since February or March of 2020. So it is a little over six months.

Fortinet FortiClient
October 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiClient. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is definitely stable.

I think this solution has good scalability. Originally when I installed it I thought maybe 30 or 40 or 50 users could be connected with this extra VPN. It would have been okay if it could just do that. But now, I connected about 200 users and they are able to connect using this VPN software and they can securely access my network from outside our physical location. The performance has not degraded.

I have had some experience with Fortinet's technical support. If I feel I have the need for some support, I can contact the local Fortinet representative. I can also contact some good local vendors. I can talk with them as well and get support easily. I do sometimes reach out to get support from the local vendors that I have a good relationship with. That is why I can get good support from them as well as from Fortinet. Support is no problem.

We used another VPN solution before FortiClient VPN. It was called OpenVPN. That is an open-source solution and we still use it.

Both of these VPN solutions are good. But, also it depends on routing or which kind of traffic I am permitting. With my Fortinet VPN, I grant access to those users who want access to my EFT network. I just connect with them through FortiClient. Other VPN users can connect still with OpenVPN to access the corporate network.

We were interested in implementing an SD-WAN (Software-defined Wide Area Network) for better access for our employees during the lockdown. We just wanted to implement SD-WAN technology to help remote workers access the office network. We configured the FortiClient VPN just for these users. That is the reason why we took on Fortinet FortiClient.

We have a long-term plan. We just want to use one firewall in our data centers. At present, our whole network is in our head office. This network will not be there anymore. It will be migrated to one of our data centers.

There are about 200 users who we have currently given this VPN access to.

Other than OpenVPN we used Cisco for an internet solution. It was three years back that we were using the Cisco-based system solution. But, this is not exactly the same as what we use Fortinet for now.

I think FortiClient is very easy to configure, definitely. That is the VPN only. There is also an option to use FortiClient as an antivirus solution and it is also free. Some of my colleagues told me that they are using FortiClient already for an antivirus solution. I have not yet used that or tried to configure it so I do not know if that is more complicated.

The product we are using is not subscription-based. This is a free version. I just downloaded from the Fortinet website and it is free to use.

What other advice do I have?

I can definitely encourage other people to use the FortiClient VPN. FortiClient is a pretty great solution for the VPN.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I can rate FortiClient as a seven-out-of-ten from my experience with this product over the past six months.

Enayat Galsulkar - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Information Security Consultant at Future Telecom
An advanced all-in-one solution with easy-to-use interface and analytics reporting
  • "It has a very easy-to-use interface. It has ease of management, and all the modules are there. SKUs are also easily identifiable. Whatever is required in the firewall is already there in it. It's very advanced, and analytics reporting is very good. They also have cloud reporting. You get all the services that are available for your device in the cloud. You just have to subscribe. It's very easy. There's a lot of demand for this solution because it's an all-in-one solution. The throughput is very high."
  • "The only thing that is lacking in this product is the support. Their support can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

There are multiple use cases for different customers.

What is most valuable?

It has a very easy-to-use interface. It has ease of management, and all the modules are there. SKUs are also easily identifiable.

Whatever is required in the firewall is already there in it. It's very advanced, and analytics reporting is very good. They also have cloud reporting. You get all the services that are available for your device in the cloud. You just have to subscribe. It's very easy.

There's a lot of demand for this solution because it's an all-in-one solution. The throughput is very high.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that is lacking in this product is the support. Their support can be improved.

I have been using Fortinet FortiClient for almost ten years.

The stability of Fortinet FortiClient is very good.

The scalability of Fortinet FortiClient is very good. In my organization, around 300 people are using it. We also have mobile users who are connecting over 4G technology or, basically, over wireless technology to the devices and resources on the internal network. It's pretty good and robust.

It integrates very well into any IT infrastructure. They've come up with a lot of tools or different service modules that are able to talk to other technologies. So, you have an open architecture where they get a lot of information or security feeds from different providers. That's how they make their product more robust and scalable.

Their support is very bad. The product is good, but the support is very bad. Their support should be on par with the product.

They are too lazy to answer the calls, They do not take the calls immediately. Even if you have subscribed for 24/7, 365 days support, they will give you a call only after 24 to 48 hours. There is a lag in their response time.

The initial setup was straightforward. It is very easy to set up. Even a person who does not know anything about firewalls will be able to set it up.

Deployment depends upon the strategy the customer requires. The setup can be complicated, but usually, it is straightforward. The implementation of a FortiGate firewall, usually, does not take more than three days. If you ensure that all the security policies are there and everything is there, it usually takes three days.

The cost per port is very less as compared to the other technologies.

I have deployed FortiGate's FortiAnalyzer, FortiMail for a lot of customers to replace their existing legacy-based firewalls such as Cisco ASA or Cisco PIX, SonicWall, FiberHome, Sophos, etc. We are replacing these technologies with FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to know the product, or if you do not want to rely on the support, then you have to master the product. Basically, you should know in and out of the product, and you should have extensive knowledge about it. You'll get that knowledge only by working, provided you have the right tools to understand. I learned this tool by using it and going through the knowledge base. They have a knowledge base website, which has almost everything. You just need to apply a little bit of logic to understand what it is. I did not use technical support for help.

We don't require anything extra because it has everything that is needed for current infrastructures. Whether it is the cloud infrastructure or the on-premises infrastructure, they have got everything inside it.

Fortinet FortiClient
October 2022
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user1204620 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network & Security Solution Architect Consultant at Corenet Inc
Provides good endpoint security at low price
  • "It is a feature-rich product that is easy to use and install without sacrificing security."
  • "Technical support needs to determine priority level based on the cases rather than the support package bundle."

What is our primary use case?

I am a senior Network and Security Solution architect and having certifications, like JNCIE-SP, JNCIP-Sec, JNCDA, Fortinet certified, Sophos Certified Engineer, and certified in ethical hacking v10. with hands-on experience of Tele 3G, 4G, Metro Ethernet, IGW, and large Data Center Design. my primary focus is to recommend cost-effective solutions, to save End customer CAPEX & OPEX.

How has it helped my organization?

Comprehensive protection and user visibility when using FortiGate Firewall with FortiClient.

What is most valuable?

Right now, my opinion is that FortiClient is very inexpensive for what it is. They have a very feature-rich product available in the UTP (Unified Threat Protection) bundle when compared to what other vendors offered Endpoint. Other vendors sell different parts of their security solutions in different pieces, but Fortinet sells all the features like a unified solution in one UTP bundle. For example, they included limited WAF (Web Application Firewall) features, load balancing, SD Wan (a very important feature), cloud sandbox, antivirus, anti-spam, web filtering, IPS protection, and Remote VPN including SSL VPN. All of this is included in the one UTM bundle.

If we compare with other products like Cisco, Juniper, Sophos, and Palo Alto, those companies require separate purchases for all the different features. So this is why I consider Fortinet very inexpensive. But it is also not a sacrifice because even with low cost for what you get, their security rating is very high. Many customers right now in the situation caused by the pandemic are having budget issues. These companies have lower budgets right now and they have to be aware of the value. They still have the same security need and they want a very feature-rich solution. Fortinet fits in their budget and that is why customers prefer to buying Fortinet as compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The improvement required for Fortinet is that they must increase RAM in low-end Firewalls. because low-end Firewalls come with very low RAM, due to low RAM users faced performance issues when increase user traffic, that can cause performance issues. even we know other vendors are using a minimum of 04 GB RAM. But Fortinet for their low-end entry-level box is using only one/two GB RAM. That is very low and can be a performance issue.

If we compare the performance based on their datasheet, it does not really meet the full requirements. For example, if we are using the FG-60F Network Security Firewall 10xGE, the throughput is 10 gigs. But the memory is two GB. Two GB of memory is too low to handle the throughput. So they should increase the memory in the box. Fortinet can gain end customer confidence.

I have been working with Fortinet products and FortiClient for five years.

FortiClient is stable as per my experience with multiple clients. Right now, we have installed the FortiClient internally as well. It is protecting our network as well so we are not only resellers. We do not experience any issues with the endpoint security.

Fortinet technical support requires a little bit of effort to improve their services. The level of services is based on the customer's purchased support bundle. So if a customer purchases a 360 support bundle, then the customer can contact directly at a higher level with the technical support team. But if the customer purchases the normal 24/7 bundle and they try to open a ticket and make a case for service — either on a call or using the websites — your customer can open only a maximum P3 (Third Priority) level case. This is a low level of priority and it is not suitable for more serious problems. My experience with Cisco and Juniper is different. Those companies have an excellent way of dealing with support cases and they are very skilled. A customer can open a P1 case via phone immediately. With Fortinet, if you want to open a P1 case, you can not do it that way with a standard support package. Support for FortiClient needs to be more in line with the severity of the case.

I previously worked with Kaspersky and Sophos Intercept X products. I used both as endpoint security.

The main difference is the advantage of FortiClient in CAPEX cost and feature-richness.

One problem I faced was when a customer went to renew FortiClient for their second Year, in Fortinet SKU is the same as a new purchase.

even other venders having renewed SKU for next year.

The case was really more like an upgrade than an initial purchase and should have been somehow included as a bundle. If we compare that with Intercept X and Kaspersky, those companies give the option to renew in similar cases and the renewal pricing is very low compared to the initial cost. It is maybe a place where the Fortinet pricing structure could be modified to appear more competitive.

As per my experience, Fortinet has the simplest way of making deployments compared to other products and companies like Sophos. It is very simple and predictable. Just follow the simple steps and — one, two, three — the firewall is ready to deploy. So you do not need to get more experience and you do not need to study up too much documentation or courses to determine how to configure it. All the information you need is available for free. The customer does not need a technical expert to configure and operate Fortinet products. But if the customer wants to configure competing products like Juniper, Cisco, Palo Alto, and Sophos, they need the technical knowledge to configure the products to achieve proper functionality.

FortiClient is very simple and user-friendly. The GUI is very user friendly and it is the simplest GUI compared to other vendor products. This is another plus point for Fortinet.

Clients need not only to look at the price of the product as a bottom line. Some products offer more as a package, as Fortinet does in this case. Some customers see only dollar signs when there is more to evaluating the value of a product offering than the only cost.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to Fortinet is that they should make a change to FortiClient pricing. They should have a renewal price that is lower than the new purchase price. They should include the price bundle as a renewal price, like say you were purchasing UTM (Unified Threat Management) next year for support. They should include a renewal process in their pricing scheme, and not just treat all purchasing as a new contract.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate FortiClient as an eight-out-of-ten.

Hybrid Cloud
David Yang - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Director, Technical Support and Product Development at Exclusive Networks
Non-disruptive with a great interface
  • "Fortinet FortiClient is not disruptive, and its interface is great. It has an in-built VPN, which is very useful."
  • "There isn't much to improve in terms of features and comparison with other vendors. It just needs to stay more up to date in catching the malware. The user interface may be improved, which would be a minor enhancement. Unlike central management, in endpoint security, the end users don't need to keep looking at the endpoint user interface. The technology is the most important thing in endpoint security."

What is most valuable?

Fortinet FortiClient is not disruptive, and its interface is great. It has an in-built VPN, which is very useful.

What needs improvement?

There isn't much to improve in terms of features and comparison with other vendors. It just needs to stay more up to date in catching the malware.

The user interface may be improved, which would be a minor enhancement. Unlike central management, in endpoint security, the end users don't need to keep looking at the endpoint user interface. The technology is the most important thing in endpoint security.

I have been using this solution for over ten years.

Fortinet FortiClient is very good in terms of stability.

I don't find any problem at all. I can have one user or ten users. Scalability pretty much remains the same.

I never had to call their support.

I used to use Trend Micro, and it is pretty good. I have also used McAfee and a few different ones. McAfee is probably the worst in my opinion. It is very disruptive.

Both Trend Micro and Fortinet FortiClient are non-disruptive. They are pretty much like Microsoft Essential. Once you set them up, you never bother with the user interface. The interface stays in the background and does not interrupt the daily work.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet has acquired a company called enSilo, which is into EDR. As a result, Fortinet basically has EPP as well as EDR. Generally, a lot of EPPs cannot coexist, but Fortinet EPP and EDR can coexist, so that's a plus.

I would rate Fortinet FortiClient a nine out of ten. It's very popular and easy to use. That's why I have stayed with Fortinet FortiClient for ten years.

Workplace Support Services at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, fast to connect, and the technical support is good
  • "Compared to other similar solutions, it is faster in connecting."
  • "When we change our endpoint, we have to connect again, which means having to enter our credentials and permissions."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to connect internal applications, as an internal data center.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other similar solutions, it is faster in connecting.

What needs improvement?

When we change our endpoint, we have to connect again, which means having to enter our credentials and permissions. Also, we are facing some connectivity issues after changing our mode of connection to a public base. It's slow in reconnecting.

I would like to see changes to the speed in the end-user connectivity improved in the next release of FortiClient.

I have been using this solution for six months.

I have contacted technical support and find they are helpful and have a quick response time.

The initial setup is not as complex as other solutions.

You can deploy it easily, and you always have the technical support available should you need it.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of a traditional VPN, I can recommend this product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
MichaelZhang - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Director at Guangdong Technion Institute of Technology
Easy to setup, priced well, and you can automatically assign VPNs to specific users
  • "When the user gets authenticated, I can assign a different VPN or network to each user."
  • "I think that FortiClient can enhance the multifactor authentication."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as a firewall.

I have two Fortinet perimeter firewall boxes in my local data center. The two boxes also provide the SSL VPN functionalities, intended for authorized users only. Not everyone in my organization has access.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of FortiClient are that it can be integrated with Active Directory to the central authentication and that I can manage the permissions.

When the user gets authenticated, I can assign a different VPN or network to each user.

It's a  good solution for the IT department to control the access permission. I find this quite useful.

What needs improvement?

I think that FortiClient can enhance the multifactor authentication. Currently, if you want to enable dynamic tokens with FortiClient authentication, you only have one option, which is supplied by Fortinet.

You cannot integrate FortiClient VPN with Google authenticator or Microsoft authenticator, it's impossible. I think that they can improve this module.

In the next release of this solution, if they could improve the MFA, it would be a perfect solution.

I have been using this solution since March of 2018, almost two and a half years.

We are always using the latest version, as they regularly update their software.

It's quite stable.

They say that it can support more than 1,000 concurrent users, so I would agree that it is scalable. We have 800 users.

Because we have only authorized certain people to use it, it is restricted to the IT department. This has less than ten people in other departments. There is a total of approximately 20 people who maintain this solution.

I have used several solutions. Previously, I worked with Cisco AnyConnect Access VPN and also Pulse VPN, which is originated by Juniper.

We use these other solutions to access other organizations. It is not a decision to switch. These other solutions have been provided by previous employers.

The initial setup is very easy and quite straightforward.

If you are an experienced network engineer then you can easily configure that to a VPN feature in less than half an hour.

FortiClient is quite reasonably priced.

You can get the firewall box rather than just the SSL VPN box. When you purchase extra hardware, you are not restricted in the number of end users.

This compares favorably to other solutions such as Cisco AnyConnects or Pulse VPN, where you have to pay extra for the end-user license and it gets quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If you are thinking to adopt the Fortinet SSL VPN, you have to consider the security level, because, by default, FortiClients can only integrate with FortiToken with a very limited license that will give you two. You can purchase additional FortiToken licenses for the MFA, or you can change to another solution, or the final option is to have the security level compromised, where the users just have user passwords to get authenticated.

If users share their password with other users then the account is compromised. You cannot use multifactor authentication to prevent or to mitigate that risk. If you choose to use FortiClient you have to consider that feature.

Network Security Manager at Onix-it solutions
Easy to set up and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution with our firewall.

We have a hybrid-cloud deployment.

What needs improvement?

FortiClient is not communicating with the new version of the firewall.

I have been using this solution for one year.

This is a stable solution, although I get disconnected sometimes.

This solution is scalable.

We have approximately three hundred users.

I am satisfied with the technical support for this solution.

The initial setup of this solution is easy.

I took care of the deployment myself.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

While there are some issues that need to be fixed, they are minor.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

it_user1135854 - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales Engineer at soulco
A solution with fast processing, good reporting, and great stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for remote access.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is its integration capabilities. The processing is fast and the reporting is also very good.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution should be less expensive.

It would be nice if you could connect to three or four sites at a time.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is very stable. I can use it up to eight hours a day with no problem.

The scalability could use improvement.

The technical support for the solution is great. We had a case previously where the tech team quickly responded to our needs. They're very fast.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. You can use it anytime, anywhere, even from the beach if you wanted to.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's very functional.

Manager IT at OTE
Easy and useful: A normal user with basic information can easily connect to any environment

What is our primary use case?

We implement FortiClient software for our VPN users. We have so many important users who connect through the VPN from their offices and home.

We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it configure the user's gateway and set up authentication through our firewall site. Then, we ask the user to login. Once the authentication get approved, the user will get access to resources.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy and useful. A normal user with basic information can easily connect to any environment.

We have been using the product for many years.

It is good.

It is good.

Technical support is awful. Their online response time is not prompt. They should not respond after four or five days. Their support guys are not competent enough. Small issues are taking time. They are not quick like Dell EMC or Microsoft on chat. Those companies will log into your environment, look at the issue, and resolve the case.

The price is okay and competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend FortiClient. This is a really good security product in the market.

They have good products which they are improving.

it_user1140780 - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Straightforward installation, but better interprocess and real-time memory visibility are needed
  • "From an application perspective, this solution is stable."
  • "The memory check needs to be improved, giving better visibility into the run-time memory."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is endpoint synchronization.

I deal with all of the security vendors, and this is one of the products that I have experience with. The deployment is on-premises and is used in conjunction with our firewall.

What is most valuable?

From an application perspective, this solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

I feel that this product is more to bolster their marketing, rather than its use for actual synchronization.

This solution is not able to deliver interprocess visibility when it comes to the endpoint, and this is something that needs to be done. Other solutions, such as Carbon Black, are able to do this.

The anti-exploitation engine needs enhancement. When it comes to Windows processes and protocols, they need to be included in a more effective way. As it is now, they simply have a checkmark beside it. They have visibility of the protocol, for Windows and the operating system communication, but they are not offering the same level as other solutions, such as Sophos, when it comes to the endpoint.

The level of data protection provided by this system is inconsistent.

I have been using this solution for about a year.

With respect to application stability, this is a stable solution. However, it is not consistent with respect to data protection.

While I have not tested the scalability to this point, my understanding is that this is a highly scalable solution. The biggest issue in this regard is on the accounting side, for the licensing.

I have worked with, and am familiar with many security solutions. These include Palo Alto, Fortinet, Malwarebytes, Sophos, and Carbon Black.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

I am the system integrator, and I handled the deployment of this solution.

Fortinet requires you to buy a lot of product in order for you to have proper protection.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to Fortinet, the users are not a big fan of their current model. Bit by bit, they pull you into to buying the entire security fabric. You have to buy a lot of product, and a lot of licenses, to enable all of the features which will help you to secure your environment. This is unlike other solutions, where you have the ability to buy a particular product and it will do its job from the start to the end.

I'm thinking that they are trying to move to the McAfee model, where everything is a separate license that needs to be added. You have to buy a lot of product to get the perfect solution.

For me, the suitability of a solution often comes down to the price. Nobody is going to complain about the installation. I will design the solution and it will be the most secure solution, ever.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Systeem / Netwerkbeheerder at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Has good configuration and is easy and simple to use

What is our primary use case?

We use the private deployment model of this solution. Our cloud provider is Microsoft. Our primary use case of FortiClient is for administrative purposes.

What is most valuable?

The configuration is the most valuable feature. It is also simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could use improvement. It should be cheaper.

The reporting can also always be better.

I have been using FortiClient for a few months now.

It is stable.

We have around ten users using this solution. They are primarily system administrators. We require only three people for the maintenance.

Their technical support is good. I am satisfied with them.

We previously used Palo Alto. We switched because we are using Fortinet for the whole network.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment only took a few minutes.

We first used the reseller for the deployment but then did it ourselves.

We also looked at Meraki and Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. It works fine. It's the right solution if you use Fortinet. If we didn't have Fortinet, we wouldn't use it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Network Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting are very easy
  • "The most valuable feature is that it's easy to deploy. Deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting are very easy."
  • "The price could also use improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution. Our primary use case is for the customer side and to connect some external sites to our customer.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's easy to deploy. Deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting are very easy.

What needs improvement?

My customers say they need a consultation to fully integrate services. This needs improvement. I would like to see better integration.

The price could also use improvement.

In the next release, some of our clients said that while they can select different customers, they get confused and they would like to also see the logo of the company. The name is written but they want to see the logo as well.

My staff has been using this for three years.

In previous versions there were some bugs but from 5.6 onwards, it's been good and we've had no issues.

Scalability is very good. It's easy to expand the platform and add users. In my company, we have more than 100 users.

We only require one staff member for deployment and maintenance.

Technical support will open cases if there is an issue.

We also Cisco and Sophos solutions as well.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The deployment took around 15 minutes.

I deployed it myself.

We also looked at FortiGate

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because nothing is perfect.

JoelSadomba - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Engineer at BAZ
Enables me to spend less time managing my user's internet usage but the web filter needs improvement
  • "I think the solution is highly scalable."
  • "I would like to see an improvement in the web filter, because I think it can be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for VPN connections. We use this program for VPN connection and antivirus purposes. We use the program each and every day.

How has it helped my organization?

We had challenges with managing our use of in terms of daily usage. The moment we deployed FortiClient we were able to start managing our user's usage of the internet. I'd say it has greatly improved our organization because now we don't have people spending too much of their time on unauthorized websites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this program is the web filtering, because it allows me to control my users to be safe on the internet. I can put limitations on what I don't want them to surf on the internet.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the web filter, because I think it can be more user-friendly. For instance, if I want to authorize a user to access a certain website, it should be easy for that user to edit those websites on the exempted list. But sometimes I find that my users can't do that when I am not at the office. Due to the fact that some of our users operate remotely, it sometimes happen that they can't access a specific website. Then I have to go through all the websites, or dive into the users machine just so that I can change the configuration. I therefore think it should be a little bit easier for a user to add a certain website to the exempted list.

Something else that should be worked on, is the compatibility issues between versions 6.2 and 6.0, because it is not easy to upgrade your firewall to the latest version with admin. If you want to upgrade, you need a hardware change.

I've been using FortiClient for eight months now.

We haven't had any stability issues or viruses since we started using FortiClient.

I think the solution is highly scalable. If you know how to deploy the solutions to other clients, scalability will be smooth. We currently have 30 users. Only one of the users is an admin and the rest are customers, or end-users. We do have plans to increase our usage, because our company is growing, and that means that our number of FortiClient customers will increase.

The technical support gets a seven out of ten rating from me. They are okay.

We used Symantec Endpoint Protection but then we decided to standardize our operation and then we started using FortiClient too. So instead of having each and every user using a different antivirus on different machines, we decided to standardize even though some of our users still had valid Symantec licenses. At that time we had two antiviruses running at the same time and two solutions running at the same time.

In the end, we decided to use FortiClient in our environment, because it offered VPN connection and antivirus purposes.

The initial setup was straightforward and it took me about an hour to deploy the program on our premises. I did the deployment myself, because I am responsible for the IT operations.

An annual license costs about 1.5 to 3,000 US dollars. There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten. My advice to others would be that they should standardize whatever they are running on their environment. If they are going for FortiClient, especially the 6.2 version, they need to standardize or upgrade their computer to standard specifications. I will also advise them to read the instructions so that they don't have any issues when they deploy FortiClient. They should plan accordingly before deploying FortiClient. Once they are sure about the policies they want to implement, they can proceed and deploy FortiClient. That would save them on deployment time and on troubleshooting if things go wrong. Proper planning is required before the deployment of FortiClient.

One of the biggest lessons I learned after a long struggle, was when some of my users were being denied access to a certain website some were marked as malicious and some were not suitable for viewing. My initial thought was that the firewall was the problem and that it was blocking all these users from accessing these websites. But I later realized that it wasn't the firewall blocking them, but FortiClient.

ICT Officer at a non-profit with 5,001-10,000 employees
Targets all the vulnerabilities on the system, such as windows updates and application updates
  • "The solution is very scalable. It just depends on the number of licenses an organization has. The enterprise management console is related to the number of clients, and the client interface itself is free to download."
  • "Initially, the support was very poor. It is getting better, but they should continue to improve this."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as an antivirus.

What is most valuable?

It is basically an anti-virus solution, but it is also very useful in that it tends to target all the vulnerabilities on the system, such as windows updates and application updates. Primarily it is used for Adobe related products and other applications.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we are having issues where the antivirus is blocking an item, but it is almost impossible to disable the antivirus. If the user wants to lift these priveledges they can't. Some options are not changeable. You cannot switch off a blockage even temporarily. I understand why it is like that, but I would like to give less control to these important processes because right now it is very complicated to turn off the protection even for testing purposes.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is perfectly stable.

The solution is very scalable. It just depends on the number of licenses an organization has. The enterprise management console is related to the number of clients, and the client interface itself is free to download. The upgrade of the enterprise license is dated, however. Currently, we have 100 licenses.

Previously we used Symantec's End Point protection. Forticlient is easier in that it is less demanding on our organization's hardware resources.

We previously used ESET also.

The initial set up is now straightforward. Previously, about three years ago, I needed to take instructions from the web on how to download this enterprise solution in order to find out how to implement it. Now it's much better.

Currently, we are considering the license extension and that seems straightforward.

You only need two people for maintenance once it is deployed.

We have previously used Symantec and ESET. I have not considered evaluating other options, but I update the information on the previous options I have used, and I'm following the latest trends.

What other advice do I have?

The functionality of the solution is pretty good. I think with every version the solution gets dramatically better.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Avraham Sonenthal - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Engineer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
A trouble-free solution that allows us to connect to our partner's FortiGate gateway
  • "It's pretty stable, and I don't have any problems with it."
  • "I haven't found that that solution does anything amazing."

What is our primary use case?

We are using FortiClient for five to six users. Our primary use for this solution is to access a resource in our partner's network. They manage our call center.

How has it helped my organization?

This allows us to connect with our client who uses the FortiGate Firewall solution.

What is most valuable?

This is a standard VPN client, and it works for our requirements.

What needs improvement?

I haven't found that that solution does anything amazing. There is nothing special about it. It works trouble free just like any other client.

It's pretty stable, and I don't have any problems with it.

Scalability doesn't apply to the client. It works on a single endpoint. Scalability is something that is relevant to the FortiGate Firewall, and we do not use that product.

Our partner is the one who runs the system, so if we need technical support then it is them that we contact.

The other one that we use is AnyConnect, which is for the majority of our remote users. Only one of our partners requires us to use FortiClient.

The setup is straightforward for a VPN client. The deployment takes about ten minutes.

The implementation and deployment were completed in-house.

We just installed the clients and put in the configurations.

Anyone can download this product for free, but you have to have a FortiGate gateway that you are connecting to.

What other advice do I have?

This product is not terrible, but I don't have any basis in which to say that it is good.

Because we don't really have any problems with it, I would rate this product a ten out of ten.

Raul Rivera - PeerSpot reviewer
Cybersecurity Engineer at GFR Media
Easy to use, Centralized console that provides visibility
  • "The return on investment was very reasonable. It was low cost and it functioned, so the return on investment was excellent."
  • "Everybody else is doing AI, machine learning, self-healing, next-generation features. It needs more next-generation features. Everybody else is doing AI, machine learning, self-healing, next-generation features. It needs more next-generation features."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for remote access from having encrypted tunnels for our users back into our firewall. It was what was available at that point. We no longer are using a Fortinet firewall, which was the reason we stopped using FortiClient. While it was available, it was a good solution.

What needs improvement?

We had some issues using IPsec as a remote tunnel protocol and we had to change those configurations from IPsec to SSL. That was the only issue we had with FortiClient during the four years we used it.

Everybody else is doing AI, machine learning, self-healing, next-generation features. They should incorporate more next-generation features.

Three to five years.

The stability is excellent.

It scaled very well. We had close to a hundred users running the solution without an issue.

Technical support was excellent.

Before FortiClient we were using Microsoft RAS, Remote Access Server. We moved to FortiClient when we installed the Fortinet firewalls.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was on demand. We would have our help desk level one technicians do the installation on the end user laptops. The deployment strategy was as needed or on demand. The deployment took half an hour of a level one technician's time.

We didn't have technical staff for this, it was a very simple software to deploy. We had a manual that we would give the users. It was a self-serve. Apart from our installation, it was very simple to use. It had a lot of options which we really didn't use like vulnerability assessment or patching. We just used it for remote access.

We did the implementation ourselves.

The return on investment was very reasonable. It was low cost and it functioned, so the return on investment was excellent. The integration was the firewall. Being able to a have firewall log that actually logged my FortiClient information and being able to have a centralized console to give me visibility, was the main reason we used FortiClient, because of its integration with the firewalls.

Licensing was free up to ten users and after that, it was pretty reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to use as much functionality as possible on the endpoint.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. It fills remote access needs. I give it a seven because of the issues we had between IPsec and SSL. I also give it a seven for its cost, which is very low. It was a good product while I had it.

CTO at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It's given us the ability to remotely access information securely
  • "Remote connectivity is its most valuable feature."
  • "The initial setup was probably more complex. The configuration was somewhat unclear."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is VPN.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to work from outside the office, it has given us the ability to remotely access information securely.

What is most valuable?

Remote connectivity is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I would like simplicity in the being able to configure the software to use it without a lot of effort.

It's highly stable.

The scalability is limited.

The technical support has been good and helpful.

We were previously using Cisco. We switched because we switched the hardware.

We chose this solution because it is part of a bigger product solution and it has flexibility.

We used a reseller for the deployment, who was good.

The solution has helped increase staff productivity by approximately 15 percent.

What other advice do I have?

It has improved our security posture by having this additional product.

Be open to what is out there. This particular solution is good, but there are other solutions out there that may make more sense for what you are trying to achieve.

it_user873078 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Support with 51-200 employees
Good signatures and protection but the management system changes are unfavorable

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for anti-virus, and its performance is okay.

How has it helped my organization?

Its benefit is that it provides virus protection.

What is most valuable?

FortiClient has good signatures, good protection and, up until recently, it integrated really well with our firewall.

What needs improvement?

I'm hoping they change the management system. The management is no longer applicable for us, so I want that to go back to the way it was.

The stability is excellent.

It is definitely scalable.

I haven't used tech support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are going to be price and manageability.

I would rate this solution as a seven because it worked fine, but things changed.

Download our free Fortinet FortiClient Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: October 2022