IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Fortinet FortiClient OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiClient is #1 ranked solution in top Endpoint Compliance tools, #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools, and #6 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiClient an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Fortinet FortiClient is most commonly compared to OpenVPN Access Server: Fortinet FortiClient vs OpenVPN Access Server. Fortinet FortiClient is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 48% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 32% of all views.
Fortinet FortiClient Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiClient Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Fortinet FortiClient?

FortiClient is a fabric agent that delivers endpoint protection, endpoint compliance, and secure access in a single, lightweight, lightweight client, providing visibility, information, and control to your endpoints. In addition, it enables secure, remote connectivity to the security fabric. It also integrates network and endpoint with segmentation and automation. FortiClient enables unified endpoint awareness by sharing endpoint telemetry with the security fabric. It is compatible with third-party EDR (endpoint detection and response and anti-malware solutions.

The FortiClient fabric agent can:

• Report on the status of a device, including firmware version and applications running.
• Send all suspicious files to a fabric sandbox.
• Enforce USB control, application control, URL filtering, and firmware upgrade policies.
• Provide application firewall service and malware protection.
• Enable devices to connect securely to the security fabric over either ZTNA tunnels or VPN (IPsec or SSL), both encrypted. The connection to the security fabric can be either a SASE service or a FortiGate next-generation firewall.

You can purchase FortiClient with one of three levels of capability:

Zero Trust security - The ZTNA edition enables both VPN and ZTNA encrypted tunnels, as well as USB device control and URL filtering.
Endpoint security - The EPP/APT edition adds AI-based NGAV (next-generation antivirus), application firewall, endpoint quarantine, and support for cloud sandbox.
Cloud-based endpoint security

Benefits and Features

• Fabric agent leverages integrations and provides telemetry information to the rest of the Fortinet security fabric.
• SAAS control and web/content filtering
• Dynamic access control helps with automation and simplifies compliance.
• Software inventory management enables visibility as well as management of licenses.
• Automated response detects and isolates any endpoints that may be compromised.
• ZTNA delivers better remote access and consistent application access policies
• Managed endpoint security services remotely assist with setup, configuration, deployment, vulnerability monitoring, and overall monitoring of endpoint security.

Reviews from Real Users:

IT Central Station users like that FortiClient is easy to use and integrates well with other solutions. They also appreciate the richness of its features and find it to be inexpensive in comparison to other products that require separate purchases for separate features.

Fortinet FortiClient was previously known as FortiClient.

Fortinet FortiClient Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiClient Video

Fortinet FortiClient Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiClient pricing:
  • "The pricing is good because you get and end-to-end security solution in one package price."
  • "We are using the free version of this product."
  • "The price is reasonable compared to competitors, it is very good."
  • "The cost per port is very less as compared to the other technologies."
  • "Generally, Fortinet is not cheap. The features that are available for free are only for FortiClient VPN clients, not other solutions. It includes web security, antivirus, and one more feature."
  • Fortinet FortiClient Reviews

JavedBashir - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network & Security Solution Architect Consultant at Corenet Inc
    Provides good endpoint security at low price
    • "It is a feature-rich product that is easy to use and install without sacrificing security."
    • "Technical support needs to determine priority level based on the cases rather than the support package bundle."

What is our primary use case?

I am a senior Network and Security Solution architect and having certifications, like JNCIE-SP, JNCIP-Sec, JNCDA, Fortinet certified, Sophos Certified Engineer, and certified in ethical hacking v10. with hands-on experience of Tele 3G, 4G, Metro Ethernet, IGW, and large Data Center Design. my primary focus is to recommend cost-effective solutions, to save End customer CAPEX & OPEX.

How has it helped my organization?

Comprehensive protection and user visibility when using FortiGate Firewall with FortiClient.

What is most valuable?

Right now, my opinion is that FortiClient is very inexpensive for what it is. They have a very feature-rich product available in the UTP (Unified Threat Protection) bundle when compared to what other vendors offered Endpoint. Other vendors sell different parts of their security solutions in different pieces, but Fortinet sells all the features like a unified solution in one UTP bundle. For example, they included limited WAF (Web Application Firewall) features, load balancing, SD Wan (a very important feature), cloud sandbox, antivirus, anti-spam, web filtering, IPS protection, and Remote VPN including SSL VPN. All of this is included in the one UTM bundle.

If we compare with other products like Cisco, Juniper, Sophos, and Palo Alto, those companies require separate purchases for all the different features. So this is why I consider Fortinet very inexpensive. But it is also not a sacrifice because even with low cost for what you get, their security rating is very high. Many customers right now in the situation caused by the pandemic are having budget issues. These companies have lower budgets right now and they have to be aware of the value. They still have the same security need and they want a very feature-rich solution. Fortinet fits in their budget and that is why customers prefer to buying Fortinet as compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The improvement required for Fortinet is that they must increase RAM in low-end Firewalls. because low-end Firewalls come with very low RAM, due to low RAM users faced performance issues when increase user traffic, that can cause performance issues. even we know other vendors are using a minimum of 04 GB RAM. But Fortinet for their low-end entry-level box is using only one/two GB RAM. That is very low and can be a performance issue.

If we compare the performance based on their datasheet, it does not really meet the full requirements. For example, if we are using the FG-60F Network Security Firewall 10xGE, the throughput is 10 gigs. But the memory is two GB. Two GB of memory is too low to handle the throughput. So they should increase the memory in the box. Fortinet can gain end customer confidence.

Fortinet FortiClient
    August 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiClient. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
    620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with Fortinet products and FortiClient for five years.

FortiClient is stable as per my experience with multiple clients. Right now, we have installed the FortiClient internally as well. It is protecting our network as well so we are not only resellers. We do not experience any issues with the endpoint security.

Fortinet technical support requires a little bit of effort to improve their services. The level of services is based on the customer's purchased support bundle. So if a customer purchases a 360 support bundle, then the customer can contact directly at a higher level with the technical support team. But if the customer purchases the normal 24/7 bundle and they try to open a ticket and make a case for service — either on a call or using the websites — your customer can open only a maximum P3 (Third Priority) level case. This is a low level of priority and it is not suitable for more serious problems. My experience with Cisco and Juniper is different. Those companies have an excellent way of dealing with support cases and they are very skilled. A customer can open a P1 case via phone immediately. With Fortinet, if you want to open a P1 case, you can not do it that way with a standard support package. Support for FortiClient needs to be more in line with the severity of the case.

I previously worked with Kaspersky and Sophos Intercept X products. I used both as endpoint security.

The main difference is the advantage of FortiClient in CAPEX cost and feature-richness.

One problem I faced was when a customer went to renew FortiClient for their second Year, in Fortinet SKU is the same as a new purchase.

even other venders having renewed SKU for next year.

The case was really more like an upgrade than an initial purchase and should have been somehow included as a bundle. If we compare that with Intercept X and Kaspersky, those companies give the option to renew in similar cases and the renewal pricing is very low compared to the initial cost. It is maybe a place where the Fortinet pricing structure could be modified to appear more competitive.

As per my experience, Fortinet has the simplest way of making deployments compared to other products and companies like Sophos. It is very simple and predictable. Just follow the simple steps and — one, two, three — the firewall is ready to deploy. So you do not need to get more experience and you do not need to study up too much documentation or courses to determine how to configure it. All the information you need is available for free. The customer does not need a technical expert to configure and operate Fortinet products. But if the customer wants to configure competing products like Juniper, Cisco, Palo Alto, and Sophos, they need the technical knowledge to configure the products to achieve proper functionality.

FortiClient is very simple and user-friendly. The GUI is very user friendly and it is the simplest GUI compared to other vendor products. This is another plus point for Fortinet.

Clients need not only to look at the price of the product as a bottom line. Some products offer more as a package, as Fortinet does in this case. Some customers see only dollar signs when there is more to evaluating the value of a product offering than the only cost.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to Fortinet is that they should make a change to FortiClient pricing. They should have a renewal price that is lower than the new purchase price. They should include the price bundle as a renewal price, like say you were purchasing UTM (Unified Threat Management) next year for support. They should include a renewal process in their pricing scheme, and not just treat all purchasing as a new contract.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate FortiClient as an eight-out-of-ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Muhammed Amimul Ehsan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager at PARTEX STAR GROUP
    Secure VPN access for remote network users that is free but takes to long to install
    • "It supports securely connections for VPN users from outside our environment during the lockdown."
    • "It seems to be more scalable than we thought."
    • "The technical support from Fortinet and local vendors is good."
    • "It takes too long to install."
    • "The user interface could be more inviting."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for FortiClient is just for its capability to securely connect VPN users from outside our environment during the lockdown. It has strong authentication.

We use it for a VPN client for our network users. They just connect to our network in order to get access to our enterprise environment and for the EFT (Electronic File Transfer) system.

What is most valuable?

FortiClient is valuable because it is free for us to use to provide VPN services to the people who need to access our network from external locations.

What needs improvement?

This product is very good. Graphically, it is okay, but this may be one area where it could be better. It should be more graphically inviting. It is okay as it is, but it could be improved.

If I compare FortiClient VPN and OpenVPN, FortiClient VPN takes too much time while installing on someone's computer or laptop. I do not know why that is. The installation takes too much time compared to OpenVPN. OpenVPN is a very light software. It is installed in a couple of seconds. It does not make sense that FortiClient takes so long to install. I just feel it is a problem that could be addressed.

We have been using Fortinet FortiClient since February or March of 2020. So it is a little over six months.

This solution is definitely stable.

I think this solution has good scalability. Originally when I installed it I thought maybe 30 or 40 or 50 users could be connected with this extra VPN. It would have been okay if it could just do that. But now, I connected about 200 users and they are able to connect using this VPN software and they can securely access my network from outside our physical location. The performance has not degraded.

I have had some experience with Fortinet's technical support. If I feel I have the need for some support, I can contact the local Fortinet representative. I can also contact some good local vendors. I can talk with them as well and get support easily. I do sometimes reach out to get support from the local vendors that I have a good relationship with. That is why I can get good support from them as well as from Fortinet. Support is no problem.

We used another VPN solution before FortiClient VPN. It was called OpenVPN. That is an open-source solution and we still use it.

Both of these VPN solutions are good. But, also it depends on routing or which kind of traffic I am permitting. With my Fortinet VPN, I grant access to those users who want access to my EFT network. I just connect with them through FortiClient. Other VPN users can connect still with OpenVPN to access the corporate network.

We were interested in implementing an SD-WAN (Software-defined Wide Area Network) for better access for our employees during the lockdown. We just wanted to implement SD-WAN technology to help remote workers access the office network. We configured the FortiClient VPN just for these users. That is the reason why we took on Fortinet FortiClient.

We have a long-term plan. We just want to use one firewall in our data centers. At present, our whole network is in our head office. This network will not be there anymore. It will be migrated to one of our data centers.

There are about 200 users who we have currently given this VPN access to.

Other than OpenVPN we used Cisco for an internet solution. It was three years back that we were using the Cisco-based system solution. But, this is not exactly the same as what we use Fortinet for now.

I think FortiClient is very easy to configure, definitely. That is the VPN only. There is also an option to use FortiClient as an antivirus solution and it is also free. Some of my colleagues told me that they are using FortiClient already for an antivirus solution. I have not yet used that or tried to configure it so I do not know if that is more complicated.

The product we are using is not subscription-based. This is a free version. I just downloaded from the Fortinet website and it is free to use.

What other advice do I have?

I can definitely encourage other people to use the FortiClient VPN. FortiClient is a pretty great solution for the VPN.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I can rate FortiClient as a seven-out-of-ten from my experience with this product over the past six months.

Fortinet FortiClient
    August 2022
    620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Can be used to deploy security to endpoints and also control the endpoints
    • "Starting from FortiGate and from the EMS server, you have to begin at the endpoint, and that's the most useful thing about using FortiClient."
    • "The deployment status is not good in Mac devices and sometimes in Windows-based devices using GPO, like Active Directory, that are not on the local network."

What is our primary use case?

There are two main use cases: the first is to deploy the security fabric environment from FortiGate to the endpoints so that there's only one policy in use. There's no need to deploy the policy in the firewall as well as the endpoint. So, if you deploy the policy in FortiGate, FortiClient can get that policy automatically.

The second is to control the endpoint, that is, to control the antiviral software and antispyware in general.

What is most valuable?

Telemetry has been valuable. Starting from FortiGate and from the EMS server, you have to begin at the endpoint, and that's the most useful thing about using FortiClient.

I haven't had to open a FortiClient support case yet with Fortinet because we have solved everything ourselves using the documentation provided. Information on deployment and that on how to solve many of the issues are well-documented in the Fortinet library.

What needs improvement?

The deployment status is not good in Mac devices and sometimes in Windows-based devices using GPO, like Active Directory, that are not on the local network. Deployment can be a painful task in these cases.

You need to get a management console in the cloud because the EMS server must be deployed on-premises in order to connect to FortiGate. This is because the on-cloud server is not deployed well. It's not good enough yet for the customer to use. So, the deployment cases and the management console of the EMS server must be improved.

Development of a mail protection feature would be nice because there's not one present right now. Something that looks at the email that's getting into the PC or the possibility to use a monitor for the EMS server would be great.

I have been working with this solution for around one year.

Overall, the stability is okay. Ease of deployment, VPN access, and the policies are implemented well. I haven't had any need to restart the servers of the PC due to FortiClient.

The scalability is great, and you can scale it as the company grows.

In Windows 10 devices, the initial setup was okay. It is not really bad if you have access straight to the PC. Deploying unattended is a hard thing to do. Sometimes, it doesn't work using the GPO Active Directory.

Our deployment strategy is to install the solution in the lab using 10 devices, test all the policies, and after that deploy it to the whole company. The lab stage is really easy and is a nice experience.

When you have a massive deployment, because most of the uses are not in the local area to be covered, deployment has to be done using remote access. That's a painful task. We have had to deploy 190 devices almost manually because they were not on the local network.

My clients evaluated Sophos and Intercept X. They liked the ease of deployment with Intercept X because the control comes from working in the cloud. Sophos also has the management console on the cloud. However, the clients were already using Fortigate, so they wanted to keep that level of protection.

What other advice do I have?

It's a little harder to deploy on Mac devices. When I installed FortiClient, it didn't even work at the beginning. The user experience in Mac to check the antivirus and antispyware protection is not good.

In order to work with FortiClient very well, you need to deploy the VPNs through FortiGate. So those who would like to use Fortinet FortiClient would need to evaluate the bandwidth capacity and how they are going to use a feature that's called split tunneling. That's the main thing they have to consider in order to design their requirements for the person who is going to develop and implement it on the customer's side.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Fortinet FortiClient at eight.

Lead Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Priced well, good customer support, stability needs improvement
    • "We find the VPN features valuable."
    • "There is lagging in some of the authentication tools to support the newer versions, this is happening because they are not supported."

What is our primary use case?

We typically use the solution for remote access. We do not typically use any of the other features.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved the way our organization functions.

What is most valuable?

We find the VPN features valuable.

What needs improvement?

SAML authentication was newly introduced (Post 6.2) but the free customizable version (Forticlient Configuration tool) from FNDN is still at 6.0.10. I would like to see in an upcoming release the free version of Forticlient Configuration tool supporting authentication and customizable for the customers. This is available in the FortiClient developing networks, but it is only available without SAML authentication.

Also would like to see more descriptive error messages when authentication fails in Forticlient specially when using forticlient VPN connection from Windows Login with Fortitoken as a 2FA

I have been using the solution for three years.

There are some stability issues with the solution, compared with other solutions such as Cisco. We were having glitches, bugs, and sometimes crashes.

The bugs that I received was on a PC on the client-side, the authentication would almost never provide feedback about what the cause of failure was. This was a usability related issue, it is not built on the actual firewall. We need to look at the application level to see what is really happening on the user level.

The solution is quite scalable, there are approximately 60 people using it.

I used technical support for FortiClient and I would say that they are good. They are knowledgeable and responsive. The product quality itself or the way in which it debugs is relatively complex to other solutions. This could be the reason why support is needed.

I rate Fortinet FortiClient technical support an eight out of ten.

We've used OpenVPN and it is quite limiting. However, It is free. We wanted to have a solution that was more scalable towards high-level deployment. In some countries, where we operate as well, OpenVPN is censored. We also used Cisco Anyconnect (As clients only with our customers)

FortiClient is excelling there because they are not censored or have features blocked.

Relatively straightforward

The install is not straightforward. It was complex and the guidelines are not straightforward. If you want to have something secure and segregated, it is advanced.

The base price should include basic VPN support in addition to Vulnerability scanning, and I think this is beneficial against other solutions. The price is reasonable compared to competitors, it is very good to upgrade to paid EMS + forticlient for the additional features covering Endpoint protection.

OpenVPN was our primary VPN solution for internal usage

What other advice do I have?

I would advise looking into the EMS feature we are considering it right now, it is worth investing into. In the free base solution for FortiClient, you do not get to customize your VPN solution in the with the client. The current versions that are available for FortiClient they are quite old. If you want to use the solution to its potential, get the Enterprise Management System (EMS). Additionally, purchase the customization of the FortiClient tool, it is also beneficial.

I gave this solution a seven out of ten because I would say its stability needs serious improvements, but on the upside it is relatively cheap to implement and free for basic features also well integrated into the Fortinet solution. To get my scoring up to a ten they need to have better stability.

I rate Fortinet FortiClient a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Zsolt Zalka - PeerSpot reviewer
    Corporate IT Manager at PRopex Furnishing Solutions
    Easy to use with good vulnerability scanning and patch management functionality
    • "It’s easy to use."
    • "While we like patch management, it would be nice if it could handle patch management for other solutions, like Microsoft."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes. It’s an endpoint management server.

It's for endpoint management, especially for the laptops or maybe the virtual laptop that is working, virtual desktops, servers, mainly vulnerability scanning, and just for management.

What is most valuable?

It’s easy to use.

The deployment was fast.

It's migrated to the security service. On the firewall, we can see if you are a client or not, so it's good for visibility.

It offers vulnerability scanning and is good at picking stuff up.

The solution offers useful malware protection.

The sandbox is okay also.

It’s good when using the VPN and remote access.

The patch management is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

We opened a ticket in Forti for a virtual desktop environment client to see if we could use it in the cloned desktop. We're using it in a virtual environment and need to sort that out so it also will work for cloned environments. They're working on that. However, it's not perfect right now.

I don't really want to add new features. However, I would like to add the zero-day protection that they offer in the FortiXDR solution to this product. Right now, it's another product. They are clever guys. They make you buy more than one solution instead of putting everything together.

We’ve used it for around a year and a half. We started using it around 2020 or thereabouts.

For the most part, the solution is stable. It depends. We always need to test the new versions. However, it seems stable even on the client side.

We are licensing to about 200 endpoints on the solution right now.

Everyone in the company uses the solution. Here, in Hungary, we're using a sync client and virtual desktops.

We are a small company, so scalability is not the issue. We don't need to worry about having 20,000 users and then suddenly getting another 50,000. That's really a scalability issue. However, right now, it's not an issue for 200 users. There’s not a question anyway in regards to scalability.

I previously used Ivanti. We moved to a virtual desktop environment and to Forti Fabric and it seemed better to move to FortiClient. It was cheaper as well. That said, Ivanti is a bigger solution, especially focused on physical desktops. We have no physical desktops, so we did not need them.

The initial setup is easy to use, which makes the deployment very quick.

The deployment was deployed by a partner.

It was easy to set up. The whole process maybe took one day.

The pricing was okay. They recently changed it. I just purchased it, and they doubled the price. It was not a very friendly move.

The problem is that the marketing guy is always working with forecasting, and they're crazy about their forecast. The vendor is crazy about the forecast, yet they doubled the price without warning me. It's very hard to make a budget that way.

It's paid every year. This year, when I saw the price, I thought, "oh my God, it's double what was in the last year." For 200 users, that was not very, very painful. However, you need to explain to everyone why you spent more.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it’s a good product. I'd rate it a nine out of ten.

It’s great if you have other Fortigate products.

Enayat Galsulkar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Information Security Consultant at Future Telecom
    An advanced all-in-one solution with easy-to-use interface and analytics reporting
    • "It has a very easy-to-use interface. It has ease of management, and all the modules are there. SKUs are also easily identifiable. Whatever is required in the firewall is already there in it. It's very advanced, and analytics reporting is very good. They also have cloud reporting. You get all the services that are available for your device in the cloud. You just have to subscribe. It's very easy. There's a lot of demand for this solution because it's an all-in-one solution. The throughput is very high."
    • "The only thing that is lacking in this product is the support. Their support can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

There are multiple use cases for different customers.

What is most valuable?

It has a very easy-to-use interface. It has ease of management, and all the modules are there. SKUs are also easily identifiable.

Whatever is required in the firewall is already there in it. It's very advanced, and analytics reporting is very good. They also have cloud reporting. You get all the services that are available for your device in the cloud. You just have to subscribe. It's very easy.

There's a lot of demand for this solution because it's an all-in-one solution. The throughput is very high.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that is lacking in this product is the support. Their support can be improved.

I have been using Fortinet FortiClient for almost ten years.

The stability of Fortinet FortiClient is very good.

The scalability of Fortinet FortiClient is very good. In my organization, around 300 people are using it. We also have mobile users who are connecting over 4G technology or, basically, over wireless technology to the devices and resources on the internal network. It's pretty good and robust.

It integrates very well into any IT infrastructure. They've come up with a lot of tools or different service modules that are able to talk to other technologies. So, you have an open architecture where they get a lot of information or security feeds from different providers. That's how they make their product more robust and scalable.

Their support is very bad. The product is good, but the support is very bad. Their support should be on par with the product.

They are too lazy to answer the calls, They do not take the calls immediately. Even if you have subscribed for 24/7, 365 days support, they will give you a call only after 24 to 48 hours. There is a lag in their response time.

The initial setup was straightforward. It is very easy to set up. Even a person who does not know anything about firewalls will be able to set it up.

Deployment depends upon the strategy the customer requires. The setup can be complicated, but usually, it is straightforward. The implementation of a FortiGate firewall, usually, does not take more than three days. If you ensure that all the security policies are there and everything is there, it usually takes three days.

The cost per port is very less as compared to the other technologies.

I have deployed FortiGate's FortiAnalyzer, FortiMail for a lot of customers to replace their existing legacy-based firewalls such as Cisco ASA or Cisco PIX, SonicWall, FiberHome, Sophos, etc. We are replacing these technologies with FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to know the product, or if you do not want to rely on the support, then you have to master the product. Basically, you should know in and out of the product, and you should have extensive knowledge about it. You'll get that knowledge only by working, provided you have the right tools to understand. I learned this tool by using it and going through the knowledge base. They have a knowledge base website, which has almost everything. You just need to apply a little bit of logic to understand what it is. I did not use technical support for help.

We don't require anything extra because it has everything that is needed for current infrastructures. Whether it is the cloud infrastructure or the on-premises infrastructure, they have got everything inside it.

FrançoisNolin - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cybersecurity architect at Alithya
    Easy to set up and user-friendly with good support
    • "It’s really easy to use."
    • "It would be interesting if the solution offered a way to try to investigate and create a use case to trace vectors."

What is our primary use case?

FortiClient is for the VPN. FortiClient is used with FortiGate. We have 100 users across both North America and Europe. We created a rule with the firewall to authorize the countries we are in, and we have rules to authorize specific IPs. We have to link to the internet.

How has it helped my organization?

The incidents in the log have been very useful. Some projects are really a pain to investigate. This helps.

What is most valuable?

The solution is user-friendly. It’s really easy to use. It is not like Cisco where GUI is really bad.

I don't have really issues with them. In terms of features, everything is easier.

When you want to find any information, you have documentation on hand that is easy to use.

You have good support and the price is good.

The solution is very easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

I’m not sure what exactly can be improved.

I’ve used the solution for more than two years.

We don’t have any issues with stability. It’s been fine. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn’t crash or freeze. We don’t have any issues with the internet or power supplies.

We have about 100 users on the solution currently. We don’t really scale it.

Technical support has been excellent. They are fantastic.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I used a different solution. However, it does not cover the same responsibilities.

Sometimes, for SOCs, I’ve looked at WatchGuard, Palo Alto, Cisco, and Check Point.

The initial setup was simple and straightforward. It wasn’t difficult at all.

I wasn’t a part of the initial setup and we tried to switch since the first time the person deployed it. In FortiGate, he used the wrong setting and the wrong methodology. We had to try to make some changes without creating any issues with the production.

It is very easy when you start at the beginning. It is not long to deploy.

We handled the setup ourselves in-house. However, when I leave the company, likely they will try working with a third party as they don’t have the time and have a contract with other clients.

I don’t deal with anything related to pricing or costs or ROI.

I don’t know the exact pricing of the solution. It’s not an aspect I worry about.

To compare every project on FortiClient you have and compare it with Palo Alto. Palo Alto offers a few more powerful new features. You can automate the use case. You have internet analysis and endpoint analysis. I would like to see the same options in FortiClient.

What other advice do I have?

I administrate FortiGate.

Within my new job, I am trying to be a partner with FortiGate and FortiClient to sell it to other clients. I have to get my certification just to be expert

I’d advise users to just look into best practices. Maybe try to join a training session. You can also simply go on the internet and try to find the best practices that make sense for you.

I’d rate the solution eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    IT Manager/systems engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good integration with Fortigate but needs the USB key blocking function
    • "It is not at all interesting for me as a standalone product, but as a product that is integrated with FortiGate with all features, it is actually a great tool and a great experience. I had test installed FortiClient working from home. I remembered and knew which web categories were denied or allowed. All those policies were correctly reflected standalone, for example, on my laptop."
    • "For buying or deploying it with additional features, apart from VPN client, web security, or antivirus, I would like to see the USB key blocking function included in this solution for endpoint security. For endpoint security, you need antivirus and all of the features included in antivirus software these days, web security, and USB key locking feature. If it is implemented in a way that in one package, you have all the primary features needed for security these days, it would be nice. All of those features will probably be additionally charged as it is a web security feature on FortiClient."

What is our primary use case?

Initially, we needed a VPN client, but afterward, we needed some other functionalities included in FortiClient. The primary use is that users have to connect it to the VPN, and the secondary use is for web security.

We are using the latest version, which has become free to use recently. FortiClient released a version that includes web security and antivirus.

What is most valuable?

It is not at all interesting for me as a standalone product, but as a product that is integrated with FortiGate with all features, it is actually a great tool and a great experience. I had test installed FortiClient working from home. I remembered and knew which web categories were denied or allowed. All those policies were correctly reflected standalone, for example, on my laptop.

What needs improvement?

For buying or deploying it with additional features, apart from VPN client, web security, or antivirus, I would like to see the USB key blocking function included in this solution for endpoint security. For endpoint security, you need antivirus and all of the features included in antivirus software these days, web security, and USB key locking feature. If it is implemented in a way that in one package, you have all the primary features needed for security these days, it would be nice. All of those features will probably be additionally charged as it is a web security feature on FortiClient.

I have been using Fortinet FortiClient for two years.

Sometimes, users cannot connect to the VPN, but this is very rare. When that happens, users just need to restart the computer or shut down FortiClient. In the last two years, out of a hundred users, two or three users reported this case. Afterward, nobody reported this. They know how to solve the issue.

They are actually very good. I have contacted their global support prior to buying FortiGate because I had some questions. Afterward, we contacted the local support for the solutions asking how to do this, how to do that, and is it possible with FortiGate. That's all.

I have been working with this company for two and a half years. When I joined as an IT manager, we weren't using FortiGate at all. They had ISA Server 2006, and I was looking for a replacement because ISA was not my cup of tea. It was old to handle the number of requests that we had. We had an increase in the number of users, and ISA couldn't handle the load. FortiGate was a logical replacement.

Generally, Fortinet is not cheap. The features that are available for free are only for FortiClient VPN clients, not other solutions. It includes web security, antivirus, and one more feature.

We did some comparisons and decided to use Fortinet. One of the most important things was Gartner's recommendation related to Fortinet, which was actually very high in 2019. It also had a good position in the market in terms of the number of users using this solution and the user experience.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it depends on the expectations of the users. There are so many solutions like Sophos and Palo Alto. We are looking for an extended solution to prevent unwanted problems with viruses on the internet. We would like to implement extended web security for other users, but we have a limited budget. We would like to implement FortiClient or Trend Micro USB key locket. We are expecting to get the price for Fortinet as well as Trend Micro endpoint security for about a hundred users.

I would rate Fortinet FortiClient a seven out of ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiClient Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: August 2022