IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

FICO Blaze Advisor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

FICO Blaze Advisor is #1 ranked solution in top Business Rules Management tools. PeerSpot users give FICO Blaze Advisor an average rating of 8 out of 10. FICO Blaze Advisor is most commonly compared to IBM Operational Decision Manager: FICO Blaze Advisor vs IBM Operational Decision Manager. FICO Blaze Advisor is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 23% of all views.
FICO Blaze Advisor Buyer's Guide

Download the FICO Blaze Advisor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is FICO Blaze Advisor?
Blaze Advisor empowers business users with multiple methods for rule development, authoring and testingincluding decision trees, scorecards, decision tables, graphical decision flows and customized templates. It also supports monitoring of business performance captured through user-defined events, providing the building blocks for strategy orchestration and champion/challenger strategies.

FICO Blaze Advisor was previously known as Blaze Advisor.

FICO Blaze Advisor Customers
Aviva, Absa, Nationwide Building Society
FICO Blaze Advisor Video

FICO Blaze Advisor Pricing Advice

What users are saying about FICO Blaze Advisor pricing:
"There was an annual license required to use FICO Blaze Advisor. There were not any additional features."

FICO Blaze Advisor Reviews

Rajkumar Kumbhar - PeerSpot reviewer
Application Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Consistent business logic across user platforms.
  • "The feature that I have found most valuable is the algorithm they use in the retail version. The execution there is very optimized - so even though we have a huge service with huge counter rules, we still get the results in milliseconds. That is something amazing I found about this tool."
  • "The developer's tools on their optimized version should be a little bit more user friendly. Additionally, it really doesn't pick up the actual exception or error of what the developers are getting."

What is our primary use case?

Blaze Advisor is a decision management tool or a rule engine. Currently, I'm working on one project which is for a financial institution. We are utilizing it here to manage the rules related to the compliance checks, as well as some eligibility checks and some funds-related information. We are checking to see if the funds are available or are there is any fundraising that needs to be done. Currently, we are using FICO on-prem. We have planned to move to the cloud maybe next year.

How has it helped my organization?

FICO Blaze Advisor has improved our organization in a couple of ways. One is that it gives better control to the business users because it has a rule maintenance application which is their best UI, where business users can actually go and see the rule. They can modify the business rule on their own. They don't really need the technical person to do that. Once that framework is set, they can easily modify some basic rules and they can just deploy it with a few clicks. That is one valuable aspect. Another is that it has a centralized repository. The business logic is detached from the actual application. For example, nowadays there are different platforms - laptops, mobile apps and so many different types of apps. But still, the business logic is maintained in one place so that the same service can be utilized on any platform.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is the algorithm they use in the retail version. The execution there is very optimized - so even though we have a huge service with huge counter rules, we still get the results in milliseconds. That is something amazing I found about this tool.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I think the developer's tools on their optimized version should be a little bit more user friendly. Additionally, it really doesn't pick up the actual exception or error of what the developers are getting. It gives a different level of exceptions and then somebody has to use their experience to dig down and get into the actual error of what is happening there.  I haven't really used the cloud version. We are planning to use it, but definitely, it should be more competitive compared to the other decision rules. For example, if we look at the IBM Audience, it has been way ahead of Blaze Advisor. Even though they started late, the way they designed the tool is commendable. With Blaze, a new person can get lost because there is no predefined specific path of development or execution and there are other tools. They have given a very nice execution path or development path - how things need to be developed. They have basically given the test first and there should be some object model that needs to be in place. Then there should be a decision flow. Then there should be artifacts that are happening. They go step by step. When the first step is completed, they should show the second step, etc. That way, somebody can easily follow that part and develop any new application. I think this is missing in Fico Blaze. Another thing that could be improved is the direct database connectivity with the relational database. Many times there are certain details we need from the relational database or any third-party tool, and that kind of connection or connectivity from the actual FICO Blaze is missing. If they could make some way to get the information from the third-party tool, that would be more helpful. If they did that, FICO would boom up like anything.
FICO Blaze Advisor
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about FICO Blaze Advisor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I am currently using FICO Blaze Advisor.

I have been seeing some glitches for a while, like in the last two, three versions, where the UI on the developer's tool takes lots of memory, and then the screen gets frozen. Then there are multiple artifacts that are open and if we try to toggle in between, that becomes really painful because you'll have to restart which takes time. This happens multiple times. Blaze Advisor does have maintenance. They provide a one-year license with the version and every year it needs to be renewed. Once you renew the license, then those licenses need to be updated against all the services. That is one thing, then if there is a version change, definitely there would be upgrades and those things which come with it.

Scalability-wise, they don't have any deployment server so you will have to deploy it on an individual server. So, scale-wise, it depends on the infrastructure you are using for the deployment and the third party. If you are using something in the cloud, for example, it would have its own features to scale up. They really don't provide any of those features. Those are manual things. Our clients are medium to large businesses. There are many clients and I guess we have a big practice where almost 30 + people are using it. We are service providers. As long as we get the new plans, we definitely try to scale it up.

I used support a couple of times and frankly they are difficult to reach. It is difficult to get an actual person on call or to get an actual response from them. Even a first response you will get in two to three days. If you are working on something really burning, then it is really hard to get their support.

I have used multiple decision rule engines, but this particular client, where I'm working right now, was using the Blade Advisor from day one. There was no switch. But there are different things which are available on the market. I haven't seen somebody switching from one to another, in my area at least.

The initial setup is pretty manual and that's why it is complex, at least on the on-premise version. I think the cloud version, the BMP version, has some process to do the CICD pipeline but I don't have much idea about that, because I've never worked with it. But if they could update or provide some predefined path for the on-premise version, that would be helpful.

At least three people are required for setup. One is the Dev Ops person, who can really help to set up that CICD pipeline because it has to be done manually. Then the developer who has actually developed it, and lastly, the one experienced team leader who can really guide through the steps. So at least for the first deployment, to set up the pipeline and everything, it takes four to five basic techs for the initial set up. That's just because there are lots of possible errors which come up and you'll have to go and manually fix them. That's a high-level estimation.

The indirect returns are definitely there. They provide long-term solutions and stable services, and I have seen multiple clients who are using it for more than 10 years already. Definitely, there are returns. Indirect returns, I would say.

FICO Blaze Advisor is expensive compared to other tools. Because we are the service provider, the client purchases their own license and we work under those licenses.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering it is that they should definitely go for it as long as they are able to. The cost is an issue many times. I have seen some small or mid-size clients hesitate to use this tool just because of licensing and the renewal fees. Apart from that, I don't see any difficulties anybody has had. Definitely, one should go for it as long as they can afford it. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate FICO Blaze Advisor an eight.

Jan Bodlák - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Specialist at Živnostník
Development environment with a fast engine for decisioning
  • "The feature that I have found most valuable is that it has a fast engine for decisioning."
  • "FICO Blaze Advisor is still missing things for maintaining the version of something. For example, we have gates for programming, for storing, or scripts. In there, one developer can prepare a file or a piece of code or something, and another developer can work on the same code or on the same text file or something, and you can manage it. This is missing in FICO Blaze Advisor."

What is our primary use case?

We use FICO Blaze Advisor for designing projects to approve clients or loans.

We have version 7.7, which is the common version. It's not the latest one, but it is the standard version which is expected on the client side. We have this solution on-prem. In the future, we plan to migrate to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

This is an interesting question. This tool contains a development environment, and also is a place where we can prepare strategies. We can imagine that this is something like Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA with FICO's plugin. This tool also contains the storage of all these strategies. Its simplification of some processes, including the visible programming simplification of some rules for business users, is good. Meaning the simplification of writing some decision rules. But today, I can say that e.g. the Python coding may bring more benefits.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is that it has a fast engine for decision processing. Imagine that you have, for example, an Excel sheet with a lot of rows and columns - a decision table. If there was exactly only one row or column, the engine of Blaze would evaluate this kind of decision table fast. The solution core is originally in COBOL, this can be a plus, or also a minus in some cases. Important is also the simplification for Business users.

What needs improvement?

FICO Blaze Advisor is still missing a proper versioning system that allows cooperation on the decision object content level. For example, we have GIT repositories for programming, storing, or scripts. In there, one developer can prepare a file or a piece of code, and another developer can work on the same code or on the same text file, and you can manage it. There are also missing functionalities that can provide better comparison mechanisms for developers.

It would be good in the next release to make the IDE lightweight, e.g.
in the Web browser.

I'm using FICO Blaze Advisor for six years.

Impression to the development tools:

There are issues using it. For example, now we are solving for big strategies that we need for development. Just loading the strategy to the Blaze IDE takes 20 seconds or more. Only then you can start working in IDE. Only opening one of the Decisioning projects takes 1-5GB of RAM.

IDE is sometimes unstable especially if are corrupted objects or versioning system data.

But the opposite is the Decisioning engine which is stable, with almost no issues with it.

FICo supply covers the only universal engine, which can be implemented in different ways. You can build your own solution and you can make it a service that will be scalable. We have it for some countries, but it really depends on the required performance. It is easy to scale from the production system point of view. If we are talking about IDE and the development tools in general, there is no possibility to scale it.

We have hundreds of developers who are using IDE. There are additional users who are analysts and using simplified WEB IDE - RMA.

You can contact them by phone or via their software "Support Now", and you can add cases - issues, which you find. In the case of any error, its standard support fast. In the case of improvements, this can take longer.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We did previously use another solution - SQL logic. In previous years was implemented Drools only for testing as a challenger of Blaze Advisor. It was Drools from the Red Hat company as a preinstalled cloud solution. Drools did not offer user comfort as a Blaze IDE.

Preparing of On-prem solution can take time but nothing dramatic. Most of the time you will spend on the Engine implementation and implementation of change management workflows.

FiCo also offers the BA as a Cloud platform.

We did the first implementation of this tool with specialists from FICO side, but this was designed from scratch. After that, we are maintaining it in the company. The implementation team was on a high level of expertise.

There are two licensing models. One is yearly maintenance, with regular costs and yearly payments. Another is related to payments for Blaze Advisor IDE, depending on the number of users.
Yearly maintenance costs are related to approval volume, which can go through this decision tool.

What other advice do I have?

I like this tool. It's a nice tool. I can say it would be better if the solution for banks and these kinds of institutions, supported Python, because it's a modern language and there are more possibilities to implement things that can help with modeling. Then you could have solutions or prepare a model for/in FICO's Blaze Advisor and you could easily implement it within this solution. I think Blaze Advisor is a bit obsolete now.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give FICO Blaze Advisor a nine.

FICO Blaze Advisor
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Roberto Ionita - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Rules Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very well structured and easily customized to suit your needs
  • "The solution is customizable, so you can create your own data items and variables to suit your needs."
  • "Lacks notifications when code changes have been made."

What is our primary use case?

My work is mainly with the rules management engine, basically the second part of the Blaze Advisor solution. As a business rules analyst, I maintain and add rules in the solution and am currently creating tables and pieces of logic that the company needs. We work in several countries and I need to be sure that every piece of code and logic is based on the needs of each country. We're using the SaaS version and we are customers of FICO.

What is most valuable?

The programming language is very useful for people entering the IT domain. For beginners who don't have a lot of programming language, Blaze is very useful in that it's customizable, so you can create your own data items and your own variables simply, customizing a project to suit your needs. Blaze is very well structured and very easy to use for both non-technical people as well as for those with good technical skills. We use Blaze all the time, it's one of the two central hearts in the company.

What needs improvement?

It's sometimes difficult to keep track of changes because there are no notifications, so you're unaware of any changes until you encounter that piece of code. It would be helpful to have a pop-up window with a notification. I've also found that error messages can be unclear making it difficult to understand the source of a problem. The speed of the application is a bit of an issue sometimes, but it's understandable because you are talking about an application that's an AI. It will improve as the technology evolves.

I've been using this solution for nine months.

We haven't had any stability issues in the time I've been using the product. We may have had one small issue with an update early on but no problems otherwise.

Scalability is easy; you create the piece of logic for a country and a process, and scale as needed.

We don't have contact with the company's customer service, but we have access to support when we need it and that's efficient for us.

The deployment process was pretty complex because I'd never been involved on the technical side. It was just a matter of inexperience and I learned a lot along the way. For anyone working in the IT domain as a tester or programmer, I think the process would be much easier. We had help from the vendor because they know the solution inside out. I don't think you can use it without someone from FICO to assist, at least in the first year or so, it's quite a complex solution. We had three people involved in the technical aspect of the implementation, and we also had business people dealing with individual countries, so probably around 10 people altogether. The initial setup took about two months. We have around 15 users in the company.

I'm unaware of licensing fees but I believe it's a solution that's worth what it costs. It's very beneficial for us.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone entering into IT as a tester, a programmer or as a business analyst, Blaze Advisor is very useful because it provides a good understanding of the overall processes in IT. From there, it's possible to develop your skills in any direction you choose.

I rate this product nine out of 10.

Sawan Khapne - PeerSpot reviewer
Product Owner at Allianz Services
Beneficial analytics, highly scalable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

FICO Blaze Advisor was used for the business rules set up for the insurance perspective only. We had to set the business rules for the claims and then the solutions' underwriting.

What is most valuable?

FICO Blaze Advisor's most valuable features are the analytics, the code change is not required, and even a business analyst can do that change in the rules when we set it up.

I have been using FICO Blaze Advisor for approximately three to four months.

FICO Blaze Advisor is stable.

The scalability of FICO Blaze Advisor is good. We were trying to maintain and add a few other features. With all the users we have across locations, it was stable.

The initial setup of FICO Blaze Advisor was somewhat complex. The implementation took approximately three to four months. However, I left halfway through the process, I am not sure of the exact timeframe.

We had a 16-member team for the deployment of FICO Blaze Advisor.

There was an annual license required to use FICO Blaze Advisor. There were not any additional features.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FICO Blaze Advisor an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)