Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is #15 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is most commonly compared to VMware SRM: Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines vs VMware SRM. Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines?

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines enables quick recovery of VMware virtual machines and allows you to efficiently test, manage and orchestrate operational backup and disaster recovery operations.

With tight integration with VMware, RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is storage and application agnostic, with built-in automation accessible via VMware vSphere web client plug-in.

When cloud becomes a vital part of your disaster recovery strategy, RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is also web-enabled, providing efficient replication to AWS and VMware Cloud on AWS.

RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is available as part of Dell Data Protection Suite.

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Customers

Rushmore Electric Power Cooperative, PCS Publishing, Noble Foods

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Video

Archived Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Reviews (more than two years old)

Wessel Vermeulen - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Technical Specialist at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and straightforward to install, and offers point-in-time recovery
  • "It is a point-in-time restore, which is quite handy."
  • "I would like to have the HTML 5 interface working because it is currently not functioning with the VMware environment."

What is our primary use case?

I use RecoverPoint for VMs to for critical backups.

What is most valuable?

It is a point-in-time restore, which is quite handy.

What needs improvement?

The price of this product could be lower.

I would like to have the HTML 5 interface working because it is currently not functioning with the VMware environment. This means that you have to use the old UIs to work with it.

We have been working with RecoverPoint for the past six months.

Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, VMware, Zerto and others in Disaster Recovery (DR) Software. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a stable product.

The way I use it, we haven't had to scale. However, it shouldn't be a problem.

Prior to RecoverPoint, we used VMware's replication functionality. We also have Veeam Backup and Replication deployed in the environment.

All of these products do the same thing and it's just a matter of what features you like. I use RecoverPoint for VM for my production-critical system because it gives you general electives for the journals and the point-in-time recovery.

For less critical backups, I used VMware or Veeam.

The initial setup was straightforward.

This is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product is working well but at the same time, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Ugur Ucanok - PeerSpot reviewer
Deputy General Manager at Clonera
Has good stability but does not have multi-tenant capabilities
  • "The solution is quite stable. We haven't experienced any kind of bug or glitch. We haven't experienced crashes."
  • "The solution is not easy to use. It's actually quite hard. If it could be simplified it might be better for the end user."

What is most valuable?

Overall the product is really good. Unfortunately, it just didn't quite fit our needs.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not have multi-tenant capabilities. It's one of the reasons that we ultimately decided to move away from the solution.

The solution lacks cloud usability. If it did, it would be much better for us.

We've been using the solution for five or six years so far.

We've never reached out to technical support. I can't speak to how well they assist their clients.

We did previously use a VM application and Zerto. However, we haven't used anything else.

We cannot use EMC RecoverPoint when we use cross-hypervisor platforms, like Hyper-V to VMware, VMware to Hyper-V, et cetera. We can, however, use it in Zerto. Also, Zerto has multi-tenant capabilities. EMC RecoverPoint does not, but EMC RecoverPoint is better in that it has better results in one usage. This is the best feature that EMC RecoverPoint has.

The initial setup is quite complex. It's not straightforward at all.

In comparison to other solutions, like Zerto, the pricing is quite high. It's not the cheapest solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are a service provider and we used to use EMC RecoverPoint. However, we couldn't sell it for our infrastructure because it does not have multi-tenant capabilities. It is just for enterprises. That's why we dropped it.

I would rate the solution at around seven out of ten. If it was easier to use, had multi-tenancy, or was able to be used across hypervisor applications I might rate it a bit higher.

Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
September 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mahdi Bahmani - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
An efficient, journal-based replication system providing disaster recovery for organizations of all sizes
  • "The most valuable feature is that it is journal-based and you don't have to replicate a lot of data."
  • "In the next release of this software, I would like to see options that help to decrease the bandwidth required, such as compressing the data."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is protecting data on our virtual machines. Most of our projects are related to data protection and compared to other native products, this solution offers better protection. We also use it for LAN data protection, which is very important for many industries.

I have had projects using RecoverPoint for replicating data. We often implement it for disaster recovery because there are many unexpected problems that can occur and you have to find the best way to protect your data.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution can be used for entry-level, mid-range, and high-end storage, which means that we can offer it to any of our customers. Most of the solutions that we offer depend on the customer's budget, as well as the reliability of the program.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is journal-based and you don't have to replicate a lot of data. It will replicate freshly-created data and not what is unneeded. This feature is helpful for many customers because it uses minimal bandwidth, which is very important.

RecoverPoint has several plugins for integrating with other software applications. Using them makes application protection maintenance easier.

What needs improvement?

This product is not as easy to use as some other solutions.

In the future, I would like to see this solution to be easier to use and deploy.

More customers would be attracted to this solution if it were cheaper in price.

It would be helpful if this solution also worked on other types of SAS products. There are many types of these products available and it is not possible to replicate all of them. If would be great to have a unique solution for replicating data across all storage.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

This is a stable solution, which is very important for our customers.

With respect to scalability, I have not yet had to replicate data across more than three sites. Looking around, I have found that there are only two or three solutions for replicating data between four data centers. I think that RecoverPoint is enough for most customers, as it replicates data across two sites or three sites.

Most of my customers that use replication solutions are big companies that have between 500 and 20,000 employees. This software is not cheap so we expect that the data being protected is important. These types of recovery solutions are design for such companies. The users of this solution are typically IT managers and I normally deal with IT departments.

As I live in Iran, I do not have access to EMC support directly. I can say, however, that I use a free forum on the internet that is related to EMC. They are one of the best and most key players in this area and I have heard from friends in other countries that EMC support is very helpful. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to work directly with them.

Most software storage solutions have data replication features. One of these is Hitachi TrueCopy. I prefer to use RecoverPoint over these native solutions.

The initial setup is not simple when compared to other solutions. There are a lot of options available for replicating data but I can say that if you work with this software, it is a very good experience.

It took less than three days to deploy, but most of the time is required in order to make sure that the data replicated correctly. This is normal for solutions of this type because there are many options and many things involved when using replication software. It is affected by many parameters such as bandwidth, connectivity, availability, performance, and so on.

This is not a very cheap solution and compared to others, it is expensive.

RecoverPoint is integrated with EMC and the most suitable, so I did not continue alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

RecoverPoint is a total solution for replication data. When it comes to disaster recovery, this is one of the best solutions there is for EMC products. I would not hesitate to implement this solution because it integrates well and has been a real savior.

The product is very handy for EMC and storage administrators.

CTO at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good administration functionality and fast recovery time
  • "The most valuable features are the data center recovery administration and the time of recovery."
  • "I would like to see integration with EMC NetWorker in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a recovery service for our data center.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the data center recovery administration and the time of recovery. These features are excellent.

What needs improvement?

The operation of this solution in a production environment data center can be improved.

I would like to see integration with EMC NetWorker in the next release.

I have been using EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines for about three years.

The stability of RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is great.

This is a scalable solution. For the enterprise that I work in, scalability is very important for all areas of technology.

This solution is good for us and we are using it for three hundred servers.

We have contacted the EMC technical support maybe three times this year and it has been great.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is of this solution simple.

The deployment took no more than between one and two months.

An integrator from EMC assisted us with our implementation.

We evaluated other solutions that have the same features, but we have been with EMC for a long time and there was no difference for us.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is excellent.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, VMware, Zerto, and more!
Updated: September 2022