IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

DataMiner OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Network Management Applications Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is DataMiner?

The DataMiner NMS/OSS platform manages absolutely every aspect of your entire operational ecosystem, both on-premises and off-premises. That includes standard & legacy technology, commodity & industry-specific hardware and software, and much more. Our award-winning solution guarantees a true end-to-end integration in every single case, across any vendor and technology boundary, from service origin to destination.

DataMiner Customers
Telenet
DataMiner Video

Archived DataMiner Reviews (more than two years old)

Windows System Administrator at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Allows us to take control via APIs that "talk" to different products
  • "Data Miner allows you to take control. It has an API to talk to different products, including drivers to talk to the APIs of third-party products. You can control it from the screen."
  • "The solution is user-friendly and is readily customizable, which allows us to do control and monitoring in a single stage."
  • "We would like to have more products supported by the drivers because there are so many products out there. If DataMiner has not built the drivers to support them we can not control them, we can only see them based on SNMP. If more drivers are included, it won't cost us if we have new products."

How has it helped my organization?

We improved our efficiency and response time for operations. Any issue encountered, or any changes that need to be made are managed from a single screen, a single software. This makes the process easy for everyone, especially for the operations team to manage, control, and troubleshoot.

What is most valuable?

DataMiner allows you to take control. It has an API to talk to different products, including drivers to talk to the APIs of third-party products. You can control it from the screen. You can customize the control that you want. It will show the changes on the screen. DataMiner performs quite well because it can be customized to your requirements, to what you want to see. The solution is user-friendly and is readily customizable, which allows us to do control and monitoring in a single stage.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have more products supported by the drivers because there are so many products out there. If DataMiner has not built the drivers to support them we cannot control them, we can only see them based on SNMP. If more drivers are included, it won't cost us if we have new products.

Network Management Applications
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Skyline Communications, IBM, Extreme and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

There aren't many problems as of now. I don't see a real issue with stability because this particular version doesn't hang on us. This solution is stable.

Scalability is more dependent on the licensing and the cost of customization.

We have local support and we are quite satisfied with it. We have not needed to call DataMiner itself, just the local support, who have been able to help customize according to our requests.

The main reason for switching solutions was the requirement to have centralized, single monitoring and control. Previously, what we had was pure monitoring. With the controls included in a single screen, that was the main reason we went for our first application.  The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are that it meets our base requirements and that it is cost effective. And in terms of scalability, it all depends on if the solution can be customized.

Initially, to understand it, it's a bit complex, but after some initial pain, it becomes easier when you understand the whole mechanism and workflow.

We chose DataMiner over HPE OpenView. The software requirement was to have control, and we found DataMiner had the advantage over OpenView.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to really look at the cost-benefit. When it comes to customization, costs will keep on increasing. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10. It doesn't have 100 percent of the features that we want, so some customization is needed to do the protocol mapping.
Download our free Network Management Applications Report and find out what your peers are saying about Skyline Communications, IBM, Extreme, and more!
Updated: June 2022