Barracuda Web Security Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Web Security Gateway is the #4 ranked solution in top Web Content Filtering tools. PeerSpot users give Barracuda Web Security Gateway an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Barracuda Web Security Gateway is most commonly compared to Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway: Barracuda Web Security Gateway vs Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway. Barracuda Web Security Gateway is popular among the small business segment, accounting for 44% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a government, accounting for 17% of all views.

Download the Web Content Filtering Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Barracuda Web Security Gateway?

The Barracuda Web Security Gateway lets organizations benefit from online applications and tools without exposure to web-borne malware and viruses, lost user productivity, and misused bandwidth. As a comprehensive solution for web security and management, it unites award-winning spyware, malware, and virus protection with a powerful policy and reporting engine. Advanced features ensure that organizations adapt to emerging requirements like social-network regulation, remote filtering, and visibility into SSL-encrypted traffic.

Barracuda Web Security Gateway was previously known as Barracuda Web Filter.

Barracuda Web Security Gateway Customers

Citizen Farmers Finance, Osoyoos Credit Union, Supreme Services, Camden County Technical Schools, Frederick County Schools, Pine Belt Mental Healthcare, Paulsboro Public Schools, Dysart Unified School District, St. Michael's Grammar School, Southfield Schools District, Total Threat Protection - Wade Ford, Alain Pinel Realtors, Southfield Public Schools, Major League Baseball (MLB)

Barracuda Web Security Gateway Video

Archived Barracuda Web Security Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

Pre-Sales Consultant at Tarsus Cloud On Demand
Pros and Cons of Barracuda's Web Filter and Load Balancer.
Pre-Sales Consultant at Tarsus Cloud On Demand
With the granular control we can block strategically. WAN optimization with bigger disk space would be an improvement.

What is most valuable?

I would have to say for the Web Filter, the best features for me are the application control, content filtering and the ease of use configurations. This helped because we needed to use of all of these in order to provide a secure solution against application threats and web content threats and we could configure the appliance to do this easily.

How has it helped my organization?

A good example would be that we needed anti malware and content filtering along with bandwidth management, the Barracuda solution helped me to consolidate this and optimize our network. We also found that with the granular control we could block things strategically and allow administrators to optimize our bandwidth usage. The Barracuda solution has improved the way we function by consolidating threat management and network optimization in one standalone appliance.

What needs improvement?

It's extremely difficult to say what improvements are needed as everything we needed we could get. I think if they had a product that could allow for more WAN optimization with bigger disk space, it would definitely help. At the moment we use steel-head technology in a different appliance and if we could get the same performance from a Barracuda then we would use that. At the moment that's all that I can think of.

I have used Barracuda Web Filters 310 to higher models.for about for roughly three years now and have had clients that have been using it for more than eight years. I definitely see myself servicing more clients with this solution.

We haven't really experienced any business critical issues with the product, however, we have had minor issues with deployment in the past. It was our first time implementing a solution as such and after that we not have the issues again. There are times where we make changes to our network and come across new issues but they are all minor and with a bit of reading we manage to resolve them quickly.

Not at all. For what we use it for it seems very stable.

Not at all. We find the product very scalable especially with Virtualization.

With the level of customer service from Barracuda I would rate them an 8/10. We find them polite and helpful, however you do wait quite a while to speak to someone.

The level of technical support is great when needed. We have used it a few times when doing migrations and data center moves and we always speak to experienced people that help us gain knowledge in new issues that we come across. I can gladly say that there has not been one question that they have not been able to answer.

We did not use other solutions before, however, when we decided to implement a solution like this we did test a couple of other solutions and we chose the one best suited for our environment and that was the Barracuda product.

The initial setup was straight forward, and it took us very little time to do so, and we minimized the downtime needed for the setup. It has a basic GUI that we could easily find our way around and there are a number of setup wizards and prompts that assist you when beginning the setup. The great thing was that we could do our setup and configurations while the appliance was in demo mode. This meant that if it took us a long time to setup and configure, the license would only be activated when we had completed the setup and everything is running smoothly. This way we were not paying for the license when the device is non-functional.

We have a team of highly skilled in-house engineers who made the attempt of doing the installation themselves and it was a success. We needed minor technical support but we had this directly from Barracuda and they assisted us very well. Their expertise were great.

It is difficult for me to give exact numbers but it’s estimated at a 43% saving annually.

Inclusive of two (along with the Load Balancers) of the high end appliances our total was around US$21,000. Day to day it averages about US$5,000 calculated annually. This number is not an exact figure but merely a rough estimation.

We did, we looked at SonicWall and Aventail we also looked at cloud based content filtering. They are all very good solutions but the Barracuda solution saved us the most money and we could achieve the efficiency we needed that stayed within our budget.

What other advice do I have?

The technology keeps changing and there are newer products coming out all the time, it’s very difficult to stay at the top for a long time.

I would recommend that you get a POC and test it. This was the best way for us to answer all the unsure questions that we had. I would definitely look at the features of other solutions when comparing, we found that some other solutions have more features but we didn't need to use those features and the cost of those solutions were more expensive due to the extra features so if you not going to use them why pay for them? Make sure you test, and compare apples with apples.

Web Content Filtering
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, Forcepoint, McAfee and others in Web Content Filtering. Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Gives us flexibility to customize the web filtering specific to various groups of users at the Active Directory level

Valuable Features:

We needed a simple, cost-effective Web-filtering product that invokes our Internet Usage Policy. The Active Directory (AD) Integration capability of Barracuda Web filter gave us the flexibility to customize the web filtering specific to various groups of users at the AD level. The ease of setup and centralized management served the purpose. Unlike other products like Websense, this has no per user fee but only an annual subscription fee which is much lower.

Room for Improvement:

We have been using the 310 model since 3 years and recently the appliance started hanging up and needs a reboot to fix. The support team suggested a replacement with an upgraded hardware and CPU owing to an increase in the number of concurrent users.The Web interface is slow and generating the reports takes some time.

Other Advice:

I would recommend this product to others as it has been serving its purpose in our environment and we never had any major issues with it.
Download our free Web Content Filtering Report and find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, Forcepoint, McAfee, and more!
Updated: November 2022