IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

AWS Systems Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Systems Manager is #12 ranked solution in top Configuration Management tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Systems Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS Systems Manager is most commonly compared to Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager: AWS Systems Manager vs Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. AWS Systems Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is AWS Systems Manager?

AWS Systems Manager is a management service that helps you automatically collect software inventory, apply OS patches, create system images, and configure Windows and Linux operating systems. These capabilities help you define and track system configurations, prevent drift, and maintain software compliance of your EC2 and on-premises configurations. By providing a management approach that is designed for the scale and agility of the cloud but extends into your on-premises data center, Systems Manager makes it easier for you to seamlessly bridge your existing infrastructure with AWS.

Systems Manager is easy to use. Simply access Systems Manager from the EC2 Management Console, select the instances you want to manage, and define the management tasks you want to perform. Systems Manager is available now at no cost to manage both your EC2 and on-premises resources.

AWS Systems Manager was previously known as Amazon Elastic Container Registry.

AWS Systems Manager Customers
Expedia, Intuit, Royal Dutch Shell, Brooks Brothers
AWS Systems Manager Video

AWS Systems Manager Reviews

Senior Development Engineer at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Root cause analysis helps us find source of unexpected spikes
  • "Systems Manager has a feature where it analyzes the logs and gives us a performance overview in the form of a graph. We know when it's taking up more resources and when there are spikes, so we can predict the usability."
  • "We formerly used third-party products to analyze the log, give us information, and find bottlenecks. Systems Manager could provide more tools that conduct this analysis, so we don't have to do it ourselves."

What is our primary use case?

AWS Services Manager is used to upload the image. And if there's something wrong, we use it to look at the logs and diagnose problems. We sometimes use Services Manager to redeploy and deal with scaling issues and configuration—like for example, what kind of memory needs to be allocated. Things like that.

How has it helped my organization?

We need this service to publish our API. Different partners of the company use the API to get information. My company is a publisher, and they just had all their books in a hard copy. Then they went digital to compete with the rest of the world. Once they digitized everything, my company had to provide that information to the partners so they could consume that information and use it in different ways. So this solution does put the rest of the API on the cloud so the partners can access it.

What is most valuable?

Systems Manager has a feature where it analyzes the logs and gives us a performance overview in the form of a graph. We know when it's taking up more resources and when there are spikes, so we can predict the usability. If there are unexpected spikes, then we can do a root cause analysis to see what's going wrong at this bottleneck.

What needs improvement?

The automation functions of Systems Manager need improvement. For example, we formerly used third-party products to analyze the log, give us information, and find bottlenecks. Systems Manager could provide more tools that conduct this analysis, so we don't have to do it ourselves. The other thing it needs is better integration with different solutions to make the whole deployment process a little easier.
Configuration Management
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, Red Hat and others in Configuration Management. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used AWS Systems Manager for around three years or so. Before that, I'd used it a few years on and off. When I was at my previous job, I used it for around three years. For the past six months, I've been working for Target.

Services Manager is quite reliable.

Scalability is one of Services Manager's most valuable aspects. It scales up along with demand.

Support is one of the weak areas. Sometimes, they weren't as responsive as I would like. This only happened occasionally, not all of the time.

As far as the basic setup goes, it's relatively simple. We read the documents, and then everything was straightforward. The documentation is good.

Price is one of the biggest pain points with Services Manager. The pricing shoots up if there's a surge in demand. There needs to be a better alert system for the pricing that sends notifications with suggestions about what we should do to avoid these surges

What other advice do I have?

I would rate AWS Services Manager an eight. I say eight because I'm not sure if there's anything better now that there are so many solutions. If you're considering adopting AWS Services Manager, you should consider all the alternatives before deciding on one. Deploy a simple application on all the leading solutions and see which works the best. In addition to looking at performance, you have to evaluate all solutions based on essential features like log analysis and notifications. It would help if you had a table rating every provider according to these criteria and then made that call.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, Red Hat, and more!
Updated: June 2022