Apigee OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Apigee is the #1 ranked solution in top API Management tools and top API Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Apigee an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Apigee is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure API Management: Apigee vs Microsoft Azure API Management. Apigee is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 19% of all views.
Apigee Buyer's Guide

Download the Apigee Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Apigee?

Apigee is a platform for developing and managing APIs. Apigee offers an interface for your core services by wrapping them with a proxy layer which is then accessed by other developers. With Apigee, you can design and build APIs and then securely share their services and data without exposing any code.

Because app developers make HTTP requests to an API proxy rather than directly to your services, your services are separated from the developers. All the developer needs to know is the URL of the API proxy endpoint, necessary query parameters, authorization credentials (if they exist), and the response data format.

The API proxy isolates the app developer from your backend service. Therefore, you are free to change the service implementation if the public API remains consistent. By maintaining a consistent frontend API, existing client apps will continue to work regardless of changes on the backend.

Key capabilities of the Apigee API management platform include:

• Security: Protect APIs, messages, and backends with configurable policies such as OAuth, API key verification, XML/JSON threat protection, and access control.

• API gateway: Secure and mediate the traffic between clients and backends, and between a company’s APIs and the developers who use the APIs.

• Developer portal: Attract and engage application developers, enabling them to discover, explore, purchase, and test APIs and register to access and use the APIs.

• API console: The console helps developers learn and work with APIs.

• API lifecycle management: Manage the process of designing, developing, publishing, deploying, and versioning APIs.

• Automated documentation: Automate the development of API documentation and software development kits.

• Machine learning: Utilize machine learning and analytics to generate actionable insights and reports.
  • API monitoring: Apigee offers monitoring tools for API troubleshooting, security, and optimization.

Reviews from Real Users:

Apigee stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Several major ones are its rich developer portal, its advanced analytics, and its central monitoring system.

Carlos R., a software architect at Caja Los Andes writes, “The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases. Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation.”

An associate vice president at a tech services company notes, “The analytics function and the developer portal are the two valuable features of Apigee. The analytics part is very good, and the developer portal is quite rich in features. The authentication mechanisms are quite easily built into Apigee, which is something that most of the other products have also now started supporting.”

Apigee Customers

Adobe, advance.net, Amadeus, AT&T, Bechtel, Belly, Burberry, Chegg, Citrix, Dell, eBay, Equifax, GameStop, First Data, Globe, HCSC, Intralinks, Kao, Meredith, Mitchell, Orange, Pearson

Apigee Video

Archived Apigee Reviews (more than two years old)

Risk Management & Business Continuity Manager at STC Solutions
Great security with good mitigation capabilities and a straightforward setup
  • "The security provided by the solution is excellent."
  • "The integration could be improved within the solution. There is a need to pay more attention to this."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apigee as the API gateway. We also use it for our preparation. We use the API for security and a lot of other tasks. Our customer use cases don't have any legacy systems. We're using Apigee, however, Apigee doesn't provide for a subscribe-publisher capability. It meant Kafka was just to provide the matching capabilities of Apigee. However, mainly we consider this solution as the API gateway and management system.

What is most valuable?

The security provided by the solution is excellent.

It provides for an on-prem setup. That's very important for us. As the regulation of communication policies. To be able to provide the telecom companies that tool and install their products on-prem for easy management via cloud inside Saudi Arabia is great.

The solution provides very good mitigation capabilities.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution could provide publishing capabilities as API middleware.

We've just been using the product for a few months for a new project we are working on. It hasn't been that long.

Apigee
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution provides a very stable solution for us.

Our mother company has been using Apigee for maybe five years now. I talk with them about making assessments for selecting an API gateway solution. They didn't have any issues with scalability or monitoring. Apigee was perfect for them. We didn't face any issue with it in terms of scalability or even tenability. It's very easy to scale.

As an integrator, we have about five different clients who use this solution. They have a different number of users.

The technical support for the solution is pretty good. We're satisfied with the level of support Google provides. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

The initial setup isn't complex. The setup configuration offers a very simple approach for developing and deploying services in Apigee. It's straightforward. It's easy for our developers to apply a lot of services while offering a faster time to market.

Apigee is not cheap. It's expensive. At the same time, our company is already buying an enterprise license so any company inside the group can use it. In general, however, it's pricey.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Google.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Whether of not this is a good solution for a company depends on a lot of criteria. The budget itself needs to be considered, for example. Apigee is perfect. They provide good support. People from Google are very cooperative as well. They listen for feedback on features.

They don't provide a partnership to just any company. You need strong criteria to get a partnership and to be able to support and feature the license. I like this, to be honest with you. That's already making our implementation easy. We're only dealing with companies that know how to do work in Apigee setup and installation and configuration and they have a long history of providing strong criteria. In general, I recommend Apigee.

Carlos Maximo Ramos - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Architect at Caja Los Andes
Best product with central monitoring, support for industry standards, and excellent documentation
  • "The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases. Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation."
  • "The developer portal's adoption of the OpenAPI standard needs to be improved. In the latest version of the developer portal, they have adopted the OpenAPI standard. This feature, however, can be improved by supporting more characteristics of the OpenAPI standard."

What is our primary use case?

We implement a set of microservices. We expose different APIs and control and monitor the use of the APIs by using Apigee. We have approximately 15 developers.

What is most valuable?

The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases.

Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation.

What needs improvement?

The developer portal's adoption of the OpenAPI standard needs to be improved. In the latest version of the developer portal, they have adopted the OpenAPI standard. This feature, however, can be improved by supporting more characteristics of the OpenAPI standard.

I have been using Apigee for approximately one year.

It is stable. I did a series of tests, and Apigee was excellent in the results.

Scalability is very good in the SaaS version.

In general, they respond very fast and provide good service. Sometimes, they take longer to respond. It can take three to four days.

We didn't use any API management solution.

The initial setup of Apigee is very easy. However, we had a problem with the deployment of Microgateway in on-premises infrastructure. The deployment took about two to three months.

We worked with a partner. We have three teams for deployment. Each team has five developers. These teams also do maintenance.

We have three people for the administration task. They do monitoring and reporting.

We have a contract for three years. I don't know the cost.

We evaluated API management solutions from Oracle, IBM. Most of the solutions are similar in terms of functionality. We went for Apigee because it had more points or better ratings as per Gartner and Forrester.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is a good solution for masking data, using methods like RPC, and administering APIs. We plan to continue using this solution. We have legacy systems in our company, and we need to move to new technologies. We plan to create developer APIs for the rest of the functionality and use Apigee for API management in our company.

I would rate Apigee a nine out of ten. It is an excellent product.

Private Cloud
Apigee
December 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Balakrishnan Vinchu - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Great functionality and excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

My current job is to compare all the different API gateways and to create a report for management. We use this tool primarily to secure our API. We have a set of API from our four businesses and we're trying to apply these APIs to multiple applications. For example, third parties can leverage our APIs built to their own solutions and applications and we build applications on top of these APIs. I make the system available like a mobile app. Primarily the API management for the entire ecosystem of AP that we are building and the DGPS are providing, have varied capabilities across the organization. Apigee also acts as a proxy, everything is done within that.

We also leverage the developer portal of Apigee as a main feature, which can be given to outside customers by third parties to build their own applications around our API. One of the standout features of Apigee is the different PolyPhaser functions that we use. For example, we use throttling, encryption/decryption and we also use external AP integration with PV.2 I'm a senior architect and big data engineer and we are customers of Apigee.

What is most valuable?

I like the functionality of this solution.

What needs improvement?

The cost of this solution could be improved and it would be better if it were on private cloud.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I'm not directly involved in the technical support aspect, but I've heard that the technical team is excellent. They provide support from the beginning until you completely run all your setups.

This solution is much easier to set up compared to any of the other API gateway solutions. There is extensive documentation available.

What other advice do I have?

I would go with Apigee if you have the money. It will give you enough APIs for management. If you're looking simply for one functionality then I wouldn't recommend Apigee.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Flexible API management and analytics that can be built out to fit varied needs
  • "The opportunity for customization is really vast and it is a really good feature built into the product."
  • "It has all the features necessary to work in anything from a basic scenario to advanced applications."
  • "The setup and installation process could be improved with a container-based system."

What is our primary use case?

It is a Google cloud solution for API management and analytics.

What is most valuable?

I have not had the opportunity to completely explore the product's capabilities in the time that we have been using it. But I can say that the customization is really vast and it is a really good feature built into the product. I can customize different authentication methods and methods for authorization. I can also use redaction. So security is flexible to our needs and it works well.

What needs improvement?

It is a user-friendly solution, but it would help if Google could provide a container-based solution instead of just a standalone one. With a container-based deployment and support for Terraform, it would be better for our deployments and that would be great. Right now we have to configure different areas manually. Some areas can be automated, but the deployments are not as fully automated as they could be otherwise.

so, they currently have a software as a service offering or a standalone offering. I want to see something like a hybrid cloud deployment. I also want to see a private cloud deployment.

We are still building out the environment. We are running four environments until we accept that it is fully tested. So we are not live yet and we will really go live and into production sometime in the first quarter of next year. But we have been using Apigee within the last 12 months for testing purposes.

The scalability of the product is good. Our use case is right now is applied in only one environment. When we are about to go to production, we will probably do high-availability testing with a dual environment so we can come up with any potential scalability issues. But for now, we have not really touched that area in our testing.

We do have a lot of people using Apigee already. This is the primary gateway for us to talk to external applications. I would say that services around 800- 900 applications which are using the gateways. That is also involving many teams and end-users who access those applications.

My recommendation for installations is that the product installation, set up and delivery process could be improved. It is straightforward in the initial steps. The part which is automated by Google is very straightforward. The remaining part, we have to do manually. The remaining components have to be manually configured. If Google were to do a container offering of this solution, then adopting it would be seamless because everything would be able to be automated.

I would say that it currently takes too long to set up and deploy and that it is not as short a time to complete the process as it should be. It is more mediocre, somewhere in the middle, and has moderate difficulty instead of being seamless and simple.

We did not have to use an integrator, reseller, or a consultant for deployment. It was all done in house by our own teams.

We tried Axway API gateway and we also tried MuleSoft. We found that these solutions did not fit our scenario as well as Apigee because our scenario is a very special scenario where we want to keep everything that we already have on board. In our current situation, we have big AWS (Amazon Web Services) accounts and a big AWS footprint. So we want to also be able to use AWS for Apigee hosting. That is where our environment and needs become a little bit of a custom scenario. Apigee works for us in this scenario and that is why we ultimately went with Apigee over other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product over any other products available in the market in this category. It has all the features necessary to work in anything from a basic scenario to advanced applications. So I find that everything in it is flexible and available in this one product. Because of that I highly recommend it to anyone.

On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Apigee around an eight out-of-ten.

Senior Software Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Overall quite good with great stability and scalability
  • "The stability of the solution is good. There aren't issues surrounding bugs or glitches. We don't find that it crashes or freezes. It's pretty reliable."
  • "The solution tends to hide the limitations to keep selling the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all of our security. There are a few use cases for us where we use it to protect API to third parties.

What is most valuable?

The solution, overall, is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The product has a few restrictions I'd prefer weren't there.

We have trouble finding use cases. For example, when we google "data locator" we can't find a use case scenario at all. We can't find more than, approximately, five use cases, however, we need more.

We needed to do more than 20 configurations, and we weren't able to do that as the limit is 20 on the solution.

The solution tends to hide the limitations to keep selling the product. I can't blame them for doing it, however, it makes it difficult for those of us who eventually sign on.

The solution is expensive.

I've been dealing with the solution for close to three years at this point.

The scalability of the solution is okay. If a company needs to scale it, it should be able to do so.

Currently, we only have about ten people on our team that use it.

We haven't found the technical support to be that good, to be honest. We're not completely satisfied with the level of service.

We're currently using IBM Connect as well as Azure. Functionality-wise, there aren't too many differences. One is on-premises, however, therefore it's really difficult to compare both together. With IBM, you have to maintain a few more things. There are more administrative tasks.

The initial setup wasn't straightforward. It was complex due to the fact that Apigee didn't have any integrations and we had IBM APA Connect Resources.

There were many things we weren't told earlier. Once you clear certain items you can't change the name, for example. There were a few other items, like monitoring, which had a limited number of configurations which was an issue.

Deployment was fairly quick. It only took five minutes or so.

The solution is not a cheap product. Licensing can be quite expensive.

Our contract is around $2 million for three years.

We don't have a clear picture how the billing works. We have one service package of one size and yet we don't have a clear picture of the purchase or the status or if they will charge more due to earlier limits on services. The solution needs to make licensing more clear. Even if they charged us $10,000 or even $20,000 more but they were clear about the what and the why, we'd be okay with that. We'd just like to know.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We are removing our IBM products and transition completely over to Apigee.

We have Azure's API as well. In next one year or two year, we are going to dissolve IBM API Connect as well as Azure CIM and move everything to Apigee.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate Apigee at an eight. We'd rate it higher, however, they aren't clear on their offering. We just want everything automated and easy. The cost is not the issue. The lack of information is.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a nice product and companies should go ahead with it, so long as they are okay with the pricing, as it is rather expensive. If a company is cost-consious, IBM API Connect may be better as the licensing costs are lower.

Chief Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Lightweight and stable this solution offers a strong gateway solution
  • "It nice and easy for the clients and those using the product to access the product's help resources."
  • "Apigee is a very lightweight solution."
  • "Apigee could do more to make users aware of what is available in the add-ons."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we do the Apigee implementations for the customer. We are more like a service company. We sell the product and consult with the clients about their needs. There are options for the API gateways and we look at the client's requirements, their budgeting, and then we deliver and install the new solution.

What is most valuable?

Apigee makes it nice and easy for the clients and those using the product to access the product's help resources.

What needs improvement?

It would help with Apigee if we could make a list of our assets. If the client knows more about all the extensions they can use to work with through the Google cloud and we have an extensions database it would be easier to let them know what is available and we could do more to recommend Apigee for all different kinds of customer needs.

I have been working with Apigee at this company for the past three years.

The stability of the product is not an issue.

We have not had any issues with the product scalability.

We are actually partners with Google, so we get the best support from them.

I did have some previous experience with other products in this category before Apigee, like MuleSoft. The main differences between Apigee and MuleSoft are that Apigee is more lightweight and the licensing is also lesser than the MuleSoft. Based on the use case of big clients, the ones who want more services can get them and because the Apigee solution is more lightweight it offers more possibilities for them to use API solutions.

With Apigee you can bring in some adapters to work with things like business rule engines. So those might create more standardization and help make the investment in Apigee more valuable.

I tried to do the initial installation and setup a couple of times. It is straight forward and easy. It is just done by calling a couple of CMA (Connection Manager Agent) commands and you can get it up and running.

What other advice do I have?

What I would recommend for clients who are considering this type of solution depends on the customer's use cases. Since we are Google partners we generally go with Apigee as the solution. But if the client insists that there has to be a lot of orchestration and other integrations need to be done, then we will go with MuleSoft.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Apigee as somewhere around an eight.

Hybrid Cloud
Digital Finance and IFRS 17 Capabilities at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, allows for fast user engagement, and the technical support is responsive
  • "The flexibility allows you to quickly run a cloud-native application architecture."
  • "The ability to work across different management solutions in a plug and play fashion would make it easier for faster uptake."

What is our primary use case?

We've got quite a large technology footprint and I'm looking after the integration of our banking platform with our payment systems.

What is most valuable?

The REST API allows for faster user engagement.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is an area that can be improved, as it is a little on the higher side. It is more expensive when you compare to open-source products or other vendors.

I think it would be helpful if Apigee had support for voice-activated activities, rather than having to type.

More intelligence in terms of being able to learn from previous activities would be a good addition in the future.

I have been using Apigee for about two years.

Apigee is used on a daily basis in our payment systems.

It has performed relatively well from a scalability perspective.

We have about 15 users in the company. They are a mixture of engineers, architects, and administrators, with the majority being architects.

In cases where we have a problem and need support, we have an agreement in place with the vendor to help us navigate through it. They are good and respond to our issues quickly.

Apigee was our first choice for this type of product.

The initial setup is of medium complexity. End-to-end, we took about a week to get everything ready. This included the account, the proxies, the target endpoints, etc.

We received assistance from the vendor for our implementation.

Our in-house team is responsible for routine maintenance. This includes backup support, uptime support, patching, applying of certificates, etc. It is an ongoing activity and we also work with the business to continuously improve the integration, so that they are getting the value of the capability of Apigee.

My understanding is that there are costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Apigee is to first do research and an analysis of what they want to use it for, including specific use cases. It is a good tool but it is important to have well-defined requirements to avoid a high implementation cost and rework.

The requirements have to be very well documented and understood by all parties, especially those who will be involved in implementing it. Following this approach is an important step to getting a good return on investment.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
CEO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Incredibly scalable with good technical support that is responsive
  • "The most valuable features are scalability and technical support."
  • "Better functionality for validating inputs and outputs would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apigee as our API gateway.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are scalability and technical support.

What needs improvement?

The definition of the APIs should improve because you can't easily validate the inputs and outputs. Better functionality for validating inputs and outputs would be helpful.

I have been using Apigee for four years.

We are working with a SaaS model and we install the on-premises model version also.

Apigee is a very stable product.

The scalability is incredible. We make an average of 22 million API calls.

We have less than ten people who are developers.

We have plans to increase usage in the future.

The technical support is very good and we are satisfied with it. They respond very quickly and I like it.

I have used several solutions previously, such as IBM API Connect, WSO2 API Manager, and many other API solutions.

It is not suited for small companies. It's expensive.

For a bank, it would not be expensive, but to implement this solution for a smaller company such as an insurance company, it would be too expensive.

The pricing is complicated and not flexible.

The older versions are more suited for small to medium-sized companies. You can no longer pay €20,000 per year.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good API tool.

I think that this solution is very good in some use cases but not very good for some small companies. It can be complicated for licensing and pricing. This is a product that I can recommend otherwise.

Hybrid Cloud
Director System Architecture at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Highly available, easy to configure and use, and it includes disaster recovery
  • "Anyone with basic knowledge can build an API."
  • "Apigee is demanding on the infrastructure so the setup cost is very high for an on-premises deployment."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We also it it ourselves.

Our use case involves accessing functions on our backend systems through a portal used on mobile devices. The app on the mobile device uses the internet portal, and we have the API as a security layer to pass the functions through to the backend.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to implement and the configuration of the API is very simple.

It is easy to upload a Swagger file and build an API.

The user interface for building APIs is very simple. Anyone with basic knowledge can build an API.

Disaster recovery capabilities are included.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with Google Apigee for almost one year.

Apigee has high availability and we have not faced any problems in regards to stability.

We have not had to scale as of yet. Our license allows for 125 million messages and we have not yet reached that stage.

We have been in contact with technical support and we are fully satisfied. I would say that they go out of their way to support us. For a priority-one issue, Google commits to having it resolved within 24 hours.

There are also community blogs where you can find other people that are working with it. These are independent sources and people where we can get information about implementation as well as customization.

A new version is released every six months and if we don't upgrade in one and a half years, the old version will be deprecated or be out of support. For example, they recently upgraded the Edge UI. The old one was not integrating with Active Directory to allow for centralized control of users. However, the new one requires authentication from ADFS before implementing it, which was a feature that was previously lacking.

The entire set of documentation is available online. You can follow it step-by-step to install the application.

We have an in-house team that handles deployment and maintenance.

It is administered by two people and we have another person to handle the analytics.

The cost of the licensing is based on the number of API calls that are made. This is good because we don't pay for the number of nodes that we are installing. They also do not charge you for non-production transactions, which is extremely good.

Everything else is included as a package. For example, ZooKeeper, Cassandra, and PostgreSQL are part of the product, so we don't need to purchase any additional licenses apart from the OS.

We had evaluated Software AG at the same time as Apigee. The initial setup cost for an on-premises deployment of Software AG is less than that of Apigee. For example, if I require four cores to operate Apigee then it would be a two-core system for Software AG.

We chose Apigee because of its high availability and disaster recovery. Google Apigee uses ZooKeeper with an unstructured Cassandra database. This is different from Software AG, which uses a structured database like Oracle. Having to purchase Oracle licenses increases the cost.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Apigee is that it is has a very easy and intuitive GUI to build APIs, and I can also import Swagger files. It is built on a high availability model, so if anything goes down then another node will automatically take over. We can build an active-active across the DR site.

The primary site is active, the DR site is active, and they are synchronized. It is easy to build, customize, install, and implement.

The support is also extremely good. We get immediate responses and support is available every day of the week. Google commits on the resolution time for priority-one issues as 24 hours. No other software today can commit to resolution time. I have only seen such a service with Google Apigee.

Overall, I am satisfied with this product and it is aligned to all of my needs.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Rajender Reddy - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Development Manager at Reliance Jio
Has good administration and monitoring features but there are issues with integration
  • "There are just a lot of security features in general."
  • "I see some lagging in regards to integration capacity"

What is our primary use case?

We use Apigee every day. Because we have a backend system, we use Apigee to capture and track all of our transactions and for monitoring calls, which is the target for our client service. We then use this information to create a report and provide a price for each transaction. For this reason, we created a proxy that we use as an integration layer, like API management, which helps build applications. For that reason, each and every call goes through Apigee so that we can track and capture all of the information.

What is most valuable?

There are a few features that are quite interesting. We can provide our API developer with an API proxy to the developer portal, which comes in handy. There are also some interesting policies, like authentication where we normally provide any code and quotas and rate limit policies for protection. The administration and monitoring features are also quite useful as you can receive alerts and notifications and monitor them on a virtual dashboard. There are just a lot of security features in general.

With Apigee, we can easily monitor applications, and our core IT team informed me that installing upgrades is very simple. We also have a portal where we can share our proxies with the convenors, which is quite useful.

What needs improvement?

When compared with other products and tools in the market like MuleSoft or other API management solutions, I see some lagging in regards to integration capacity — where we don't have all of the connectors. It's not the perfect ESB, it's only for API management solutions. For example, MuleSoft will provide you with the API management solution as well as ESB, allowing you to integrate with large, complex IT systems. So, there is some lagging there that needs to be fixed.

The main area they should improve is the integration capability. They should have useful connectors that we can use to provide code so that we can integrate with other systems. This needs to be improved.

When compared to other products, such as MuleSoft and other tools in the market, Apigee has some lagging issues.

Over the last three years, we haven't had any issues with the stability, both on-premise and on the cloud. It's a stable solution. We haven't experienced any error-value from the product.

Product-wise, we don't have any technical support, our IT team takes care of it. We also have a number of applications we are managing, but only two recruiters are monitoring them.

It's easy to create proxies in Apigee. Compared to other integration tools, we can quickly and easily export any APIs in Apigee, which saves us a lot of time.

The setup was taken care of by our core IT team, I was part of the development team so all activities relating to the setup, updates, and customer service were handled by the core IT team.

What other advice do I have?

We would definitely recommend Apigee. You can use Apigee to create proxies (and share API proxies with consumers), monitor calls, and provide security for particular endpoints. We have a complete telephone portal under Apigee, I would recommend it.

I would give Apigee a rating of seven or eight out of ten. The API moderation, administration monitoring, product architecture, infrastructure, and overall quality is good. The only area lagging is integration capability.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Bert Van Vugt - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder & CDO at AppyThings
Good performance and scalability, and the tracing feature is valuable
  • "Tracing in Apigee is a very good feature."
  • "As it is now, the rotation of certificates is a manual task and is something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Apigee is one of the API management products that we implement for our customers. Most of our clients want to expose their APIs to their consumers and they need to have a generic infrastructure for it. At the same time, they want it to be scalable as well as highly secure.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to fulfill all of our use cases with Apigee.

What is most valuable?

Tracing in Apigee is a very good feature.

The scalability and performance are both very good.

What needs improvement?

As it is now, the rotation of certificates is a manual task and is something that can be improved. It only has to be done once every two or three years, but I would state that there is still room for improvement.

We have been working with Apigee for five years.

The last time we had a disturbance was a year and a half ago, and it was due to an AWS infrastructure failure. Apigee was not to blame for it. For the most part, it has a very high availability.

We have some very large customers that make a billion API calls a month and we have never heard any complaints about scalability. It's not an issue.

About half of our clients are mid-sized companies, with approximately 5,000 employees, whereas the other half is made up of companies that are bigger than that.

We have engaged multiple times with Google's technical support. I can't say that they're necessarily very quick in their response. It can take a couple of days. That said, they're very knowledgeable and to the point. In the five years that we have been working with them, we have built a big network with them.

We use several similar solutions including Mulesoft, SAP, and Azure. Mulesoft is the one that we use the least and try to replace it with other systems. Out of ten customers, we have two using Azure, six using Apigee, and the final two using SAP.

The initial setup is very straightforward and we perform it as a service for our clients. Normally, it takes us about a week to get it fully operational with all of the rules in place, and fully onboarded.

When it comes to deployment, we have variety with our customers. 60% of them will use a cloud-based deployment, while the remaining 40% work on-premises. We are now just engaging the first customers using the new hybrid model from Apigee.

We perform the deployment and maintenance of Apigee for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Apigee is to use it as an API platform, and not as a full-stack integration platform.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Tolulope Adeniji - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead - Integration/Middleware at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to configure the API with restricted access for different clients but their support is lacking
  • "It's a good return on my investment."
  • "The number one area this solution could be improved is by implementing support. Support is not a part of this solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is to integrate both external applications as well as internal applications. We use some to integrate other applications, but most of them are just proxies that are for fronting the backend APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

We want to create one API to be used by different clients. In terms of management, even though the proxying of an API is not a lot of work, it is better to create a single API that can be reused. When the API version changes, you only have versioning for a single API, rather than in several places with the same capability.

Moving forward, if you change or update the version, the underlying functionality of the application needs to fashion the APIs correctly. This solution is created for the same capability. To prevent that, we just create the same API, and then we productize it and you are versioning a single API and not going back and versioning different APIs that do the same thing.

What is most valuable?

One of the concepts offered with this solution is called Productization. This concept allows you to bundle the APIs together and present them to clients as products, which allows you to configure the API with restricted access for different clients. An example of this would be Client A is granted access as read-only and able to do a few updates, whereas Client B would have full access to the APIs. You can configure different products for them in such a way that one of the products would have limited access, and the other would be granted full access. You are not creating another API, rather you are using the same proxy with limited access to the proxy. This is one of the features that has helped us a lot.

We have APIs that we use internally and externally for clients outside of our network using the cloud with a SaaS solution that needs to access our API. The same API we use internally is the same API we expose externally. The level of security is different for internal applications and for external applications. To accommodate both we use the same API but add additional security features to the APIs.

What needs improvement?

The number one area this solution could be improved is by implementing support. Support is not a part of this solution.

We have been using this solution for three years, it was purchased in 2017.

I think that this solution is pretty stable, but when the open-source vendors upgrade their software, Apigee doesn't conform with the upgrade of the open-source vendor. They require patch releases and an upgrade for on-premises users. The component is always late.

I think it's pretty scalable. Currently, we are doing about sixteen million calls per quarter. As we are not using it on a large scale, we don't usually have latency issues whatsoever. We have a clustered environment and there is little to no downtime, even when we are running patches on the operating system. We have between twenty-five and thirty regular developers that use this platform. We have four nodes in the cluster that are serving internal traffic, and then we have another four nodes for external traffic so that way we don't really require any upgrade.

At this time there is no immediate need to scale up the environment. We have four servers with four nodes in the cluster that service the internal traffic, and we have another four gateway nodes for the external traffic.

The support is lacking. One of the main reasons it is lacking is because they have different applications bundled together. As an example, they are using Apache ZooKeeper and Drupal from different open-source vendors. We have two critical security updates that require support. A claim had been opened in May and did not receive any support.

Compared to other vendors that we deal with, I would have to rate this solution a five or less in terms of support.

We are currently looking for other alternatives because of some issues we are facing.

We believe that they do not want to continue with their on-premises version of the product, as they are not responsive to support cases.

We have MuleSoft, but we are only using their ESB, not API management. Apigee is the first solution we are using for API management.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It is very complex. They use different open-source applications in this solution. When installing this solution you have to be knowledgeable in the different applications, what the different applications do, and how they behave with each platform.

The documentation they have available is very good and available online.

Using different applications bundled together in this single product makes the maintenance and installation a challenge.

The deployment took three months. We had many different environments including development, test, QA, and production environments. For the QA and production environments, we had both an external and an internal gateway. We did this ourselves in conjunction with the Apigee team.

Most of the maintenance is being done by two of our offshore colleagues in Chennai, India. They maintain the platform.

It's a good return on my investment. In the past, we were struggling with the way we would interface with external clients, where we would open a firewall and do many network-level configurations before we were able to open an API. Now everything goes through Apigee and we only open the first ones for Apigee. After that, all other communication goes through Apigee.

We evaluated three different products, including API management from Apigee, API management from CA, and MuleSoft. This evaluation was three years ago, and at that time the Apigee platform was more mature than other platforms.

What other advice do I have?

For on-premises I would not suggest this solution. Generally speaking, the product is a good one, it is matured and the features are okay. If anyone wants to use this solution they should first consider the cloud-based version.

Because the support is lacking, we would have considered a different product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten. If the support was better, I would have given them a nine.

Enterprise Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Easy policy creation, and a straightforward initial setup
  • "The ease of creating policies has been the most useful of the solution's features. It's a quick ramp-up time. It's easy for our support staff to implement the policies in the API management layer."
  • "The company needs to better support webhooks. It used to support webhooks and their policies and they have since stopped. They had some issues in the product and they abandoned the support for them. It's not come back since."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as API Management, as both proxy and security.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our company's time to market. When we deploy a policy for a particular API, the creation of the policy and the gateway is significantly faster than what we were doing with our Layer 7 gateways. It's easier to develop the policy and to walk through the policy using the Apigee interface.

What is most valuable?

The ease of creating policies has been the most useful of the solution's features. It's a quick ramp-up time. It's easy for our support staff to implement the policies in the API management layer.

What needs improvement?

The company needs to better support webhooks. It used to support webhooks and their policies and they have since stopped. They had some issues in the product and they abandoned the support for them. It's not come back since. Webhooks are still used by some of our production partners. It would be nice to see the support for them come back. Right now, we have to pull the API instead of using a webhook to do the notification.

I've been using the solution for three months.

With Apigee, there are frequent updates, so they seem to have a very strong user base.

There's a lot of users in Layer 7 too, but we've had some bad experience with support from the company. Stability-wise, it's hard to say. I don't think we've had any bugs associated with the gateway itself where the gateway has failed, but we've had support issues from Layer 7.

In comparison, Google and Apigee have done a fantastic job supporting their product.

Scalability wise, I've heard from some customers that Apigee has some limitations on scalability, but we haven't experienced those as of yet.

As far as Layer 7 is concerned, it seems that the policies are very deterministic as to how the actual gateways function. Some of them have had a significant impact and we've had to scale up their clusters just to support a minimal load. Some are disappointed with the number of services that we have to engage for Layer 7, and the number of clusters we've had to create. We've had to create a pretty large cluster for supporting some applications.

The Layer 7 gateway's front end is for a high-end brand product. We have the largest loyalty program in Canada. Our PC Optimum program, for instance, uses our Layer 7 gateways. There are 14 million users that use the PC Optimum card that goes through those gateways.

The initial setup of Apigee is straightforward. Google/Apigee gives us all the information to support their private owned clouds. The interface is very straightforward to use as well. It's a lot easier than the Layer 7 product.

CA was overly complex in its configuration. CA also does significantly more as far as security and policies are concerned. It has developed a huge number of policies into their product. It's way more than what I would expect an API management product to be. It took us two months to set up the solution.

We basically took the policies from Layer 7 that we had previously created and we transformed them to policies for Apigee. That was fairly easy.

In terms of deployment, we haven't transformed totally from Layer 7 yet to Apigee. Our support is very low on Apigee right now. There's only one person that's working on Apigee currently. It's minimal. Accenture is handling the support, as they did for CA. We had about five people supporting the gateways on Layer 7.

For Apigee, we had the assistance of an integrator. The company was Accenture, and we have a good working relationship with them. They're currently supporting the platforms in many facets. The deployment was straightforward, so they didn't need to do too much.

There was no specialization or skill required for them for Apigee, but there was with Layer 7.

We looked at a couple of other vendors. We looked at offerings by Red Hat and some others. We basically looked at the market leaders.

From an enterprise point of view, our digital division had already migrated to GCP. GCP uses Apigee by default. They had selected Apigee initially. That was one factor in choosing Apigee over CA. Another factor is that it would support on-premises and it would support our Azure environment as well. The ease of use, creation of the policy, and the developer portal experience were all factors. The fact that developers could easily create the policies themselves without having to get our administration staff or engineers to actually create the policies was a big factor as well.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we are still in the process of testing the solution. We're using both on-premises and cloud versions.

CA has developed a sort-of enterprise service spot inside of their API management platform. It does interesting things with files, and it has a lot of security features that are not normally used in a majority of API calls. It's overkill. Its portal is very clunky and very difficult to set up. Its gateways and its policies are not straight forward either. It basically requires a three-day class to understand how to get in and add policies and it's not very simple to add policies into the CA Layer 7 gateway. Apigee does a way better job.

CA is also owned by Broadcom now and when that transition happened, Broadcom did a lousy job of handing off support of that product. They basically fired everybody from CA. They left us without production support for a good part of a year. We've had CA for about 2 years and mostly we used the on-premises version, but we had a small amount on the cloud as well.

Because of these reasons, we're moving away from Layer 7 to Apigee.

In terms of advice to those considering using Apigee versus CA, I'd say they need to understand their use cases for APIs.

I would rate Apigee eight out of ten.

In comparison, I would rate CA five out of ten.

Suresh Natarajan - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Architect & Lead, Software Engineering at AT&T
Gives us easy to map back-end version services and additional security and policies can be adopted

What is our primary use case?

This solution provides us with a good gateway for API Management and versioning. It gives us easy to map backend version services, and additional security and policies can be adopted.

How has it helped my organization?

We are achieving five thousand TPS (Throughput per second) on peak load, and managing thousands of proxies against K8s cluster services.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable features to be tracing a proxy, and managing proxy versions and revisions via the Edge UI component.

What needs improvement?

Drag and drop of features would be more beneficial, rather than manually working on the configuration and updates.

it_user682638 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Architect with 11-50 employees
It is a stable product, but I suggest using the SaaS version

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for exposing API's to the digital platform and for B2B.

What is most valuable?

I think it is the most functional tool on the market. The security is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Apigee on premise is quite complex and it is always moving faster. I would advise anyone who is interested, to use the SaaS implementation.

Less than one year.

I have not encountered instability with the product.

I do not have experience with tech support.

Executive Advisor, SOA Enterprise Services at Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
User
Allowed us to convert from SOAP to RESTful patterns

What is our primary use case?

API gateway tool and management of API solutions. This tool is extremely helpful for discovery, self-service of API solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

• Allowed us to convert from SOAP to RESTful patterns
  • Improved security/throughput/management
  • Throttling is also useful as well as management console tools to track performance.

What is most valuable?

• API gateway tool
  • API developer tool
  • Visualization tools to measure and manage the performance of APIs.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a long-term direction for the overall architecture (similar to what WSO2 has done), in that all three areas — pub/sub, events, and APIs — are treated as part of a continuum, instead of treating each as separate topics.

Three to five years.
Shawky Foda - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Architect at Masterworks
Builds API proxies for securing targeted back-ends with an emphasis on CI/CD

What is our primary use case?

We use it to build API proxies for securing targeted back-ends with an emphasis on Continuous Integration/Continuous Development (CI/CD).

How has it helped my organization?

It has been a potential source of mission-critical customers.

We expect to gain new business opportunities upon providing Apigee services to customers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like them to add features, such as caching and mediation policies.

Less than one year.
    it_user803505 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Product Manager at Near BPO
    User
    Accelerates development and deployment processes

What is our primary use case?

It is a platform for the publication of API services, access control, limiting the use of resources, and monitoring consumption.

How has it helped my organization?

• Identifies services which are most consumed.
    • Identifies possible risks.
    • Improves productivity.
    • Accelerates development and deployment processes.

What is most valuable?

• Developer portal
    • Apigee Sense
    • Analytics
    • Microgateway

What needs improvement?

• Predictive analysis of consumption
    • Identification of attacks
    • Identification of operational errors

Architect at a tech vendor
    Highly scalable from any initial topology to horizontal extension
    • "Highly scalable from any initial topology to horizontal extension"
    • "Easy interface to monetize and deliver APIs with very easy integration for third-party development environments/delivery."
    • "Technical support model for OPDK should be more exposed and mature in terms of providing support during installation, run, and debug of Apigee in production on OPDK mode."

What is our primary use case?

Ease of use during development, deployment, discovery, and usage of Developer portal.

A mature end-to-end model for API distribution and revenue earned through monetization.

How has it helped my organization?

One unified solution for different LOBs. Easy interface to monetize and deliver APIs with very easy integration for third-party development environments/delivery.

What is most valuable?

• Flexible setup
    • Pricing and license cost for end-user delivery/ distribution model
    • Both on-premise and cloud deployment models are available.
    • Highly scalable from any initial topology to horizontal extension.

What needs improvement?

Technical support model for OPDK should be more exposed and mature in terms of providing support during installation, run, and debug of Apigee in production on OPDK mode.

Trishit Nag - PeerSpot reviewer
    APIGEE API Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It has a very efficient logging system, but deploying revisions need to be more defined
    • "It has a very efficient logging system which is easy to maintain."
    • "Apigee Analytics dashboard is useful to monitor transactions, error percentage, transaction latency, etc."
    • "Maintaining and deploying revisions need to be more defined."

What is our primary use case?

I use Apigee Edge to develop and maintain proxy services on REST/SOAP web services. I also monitor transactions over Apigee Analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

I develop proxy services for other vendors.

Apigee is very fast in transferring requests and responses between Northbound systems to Southbound systems. It has a very efficient logging system which is easy to maintain.

What is most valuable?

There are many features, which I have felt are very useful and easy to implement at flows.

Below are some of the points that I would like to highlight:

• I like Service Callout, JSON/XML Threat Protection, and JavaScript callout policy. I find them very useful.
    • I found Apigee Analytics dashboard very useful for monitoring.
    • Private cloud architecture
    • Management APIs are very useful, because we can execute them from our server only.

What needs improvement?

Maintaining and deploying revisions need to be more defined.

It would be better to have access to the PostgreSQL Database Tables on monetization.

it_user684582 - PeerSpot reviewer
    API Management lead architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    The Edge engine provides powerful, integrated analytics, which are noteworthy
    • "API/proxy lifecycle workflow for API providers is quite good and one of Apigee's strongest features."
    • "Proxy versioning seems a bit confusing/buried in the publishing experience, especially for the URI-based versioning approach."

What is most valuable?

API/proxy lifecycle workflow for API providers is quite good and one of Apigee's strongest features. Also, like the completeness of the CLI and admin REST services, the Edge engine provides powerful, integrated analytics, which are noteworthy.

What needs improvement?

Initial setup was not trivial for customer-managed topology.  Proxy versioning seems a bit confusing/buried in the publishing experience, especially for the URI-based versioning approach.

Not in production, we are still evaluating.

Nothing serious; just a bit complex.

We currently use WSO2 API Manager version 1.9x in production, but the solution is no longer meeting our needs.

If you deploy a 6-node+ topology, there are many steps required for initial setup. I feel most of this setup complexity is limited to the initial install, and the future auto-scaling of the gateway workload will be an easier/smoother experience

Setup was done by an internal team with some coaching by the vendor.

GurbachanSingh - PeerSpot reviewer
    GurbachanSinghService Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

Evaluating different API product

it_user689625 - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It has helped our organization through data monetization

What is most valuable?

• API security
    • Lifecycle management
    • Analytics

How has it helped my organization?

Data monetization.

What needs improvement?

Development IDE, especially for Architect Review.

15 months.

Not on Apigee Edge, but few on BaaS.

No issue with SaaS version.

A five out of 10.

Yes, scalability was an issue with the earlier tool.

The SaaS version setup is easy. On-premise version seems to be bit complex.

Pricing options need to be chosen on a case-by-case basis.

Yes. AWS API, 3Scale, and CA Layer 7.

What other advice do I have?

Implementation success would depend on having a good API architecture and design, using analytics, and following best practices of the lifecycle management provided by tool. Technical implementation should support DevOps, too.

Tibco Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Helps link products, developer, developer apps, and API proxies creating efficiency and reliability
    • "A special feature is configuring target servers, proxy config, and Cert related security, which regularizes incoming traffic from cloud users or external applications to internal applications in a secured manner."
    • "Areas like traffic handling of incoming requests, security features between third-parties and Apigee, and between Apigee and internal network servers, resources, or JSON areas, etc."

What is most valuable?

I have worked on Apigee Edge and Apigee Dev Portal. Specifically, in Apigee Edge, the elements like products, developer, developer apps, and API proxies are interlinked with each other. Another special feature is configuring target servers, proxy config, and Cert related security, which regularizes incoming traffic from cloud users or external applications to internal applications in a secured manner.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides secured incoming connections with data and cloud-based API functionality, which results in efficiency and reliability.

A full year.

It's user friendly and no issues encountered with stability. Sometimes it may go down due to notified maintenance activity.

No, we can add any quantity of all utilities such as users, API proxies, developers, their apps, etc.

Four out of five.

Previously worked with physical box type solutions. Now using Apigee for API based connectivity along with cloud level access.

It's straightforward, and looks at security configuration, environment setup, etc.

Since it was acquired by Google, we can get a license based on our requirements and the cost level will depend on cloud access and support.

Yes. Analysed features like pricing, support, functionality, background analysis in market, cloud connectivity, etc.

What other advice do I have?

It's a high-end API product acquired by Google. It has lots of functionality and can easily handle technical resources.

it_user693855 - PeerSpot reviewer
    SAP/APIGEE Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The portal gives you good control on the documentation, content delivery, and developer onboarding.
    • "They capture the details of all the incoming and outgoing traffic of your APIs. Based on 300+ default dimensions you can generate beautiful and insightful reports on usage and consumption of APIs."
    • "Since it is based on various open sourced projects, we might have to depend on the fixes provided by those components rather than Apigee directly fixing the issues."

What is most valuable?

Apigee has many features in their feature bucket. When you get in touch with their sales team for sure you’ll get to know these :). Some which I liked most and which makes this product stand out are:

Developer portal

It is a Drupal-based portal for onboarding of developers and catering your API documentation. They have this feature called Smart Docs, which allows developers to not only get to know the API documentation but directly make the request and see the response. They have the ability to consume OpenAPI specs formerly know as Swagger Spec. Considering the fact that it is based on Drupal, the portal gives you damn good control on the documentation, content delivery, and developer onboarding. With a little customization, you can integrate any kind of workflow into this portal.

Monetization

Monetization is another good feature which provides a revenue model around your APIs. Many of the enterprises are looking for these kinds of options, get their offerings as API and generate revenue out of it. Apigee provides a complete end-to-end solution for monetization of your APIs. They have different revenue models and packaging models such as freemium, hit rate, revenue sharing and your custom models based on your transactions criteria. Get to know this in more details at http://docs.apigee.com/monetiz...

Analytics

This another great feature of the platform. They capture the details of all the incoming and outgoing traffic of your APIs. Based on 300+ default dimensions you can generate beautiful and insightful reports on usage and consumption of APIs. This can also be used to find out performance and errors troubleshooting. They have default reports for proxy performance, target performance, error analysis, cache performance, latency analysis, developer engagement and traffic composition. On top of these, you can generate custom reports based on the dimensions captured by Apigee.

Another feature of analytics is that you can add your own dimensions and do business analytics on top of API analytics. Being acquired by Google, we can expect that Google will add some good features around it or maybe they will push this component to Google’s analytics engine. All of the analytics data is exposed as APIs so you can consume this in your programs and develop any kind of workflows or applications around it. Dig into it at http://docs.apigee.com/analytics-services/content/analytics-services-overview.

BaaS

BaaS is based on Apache’s Usergrid, which provides a back end as a service. This is a No-SQL database and gives you ample flexibility with a RESTful interface for data storage. Apart from being a data store BaaS also has features, such as push notification, geolocation, docial graphs and RBAC user management. This is a wholistic back end for any mobile app. Get to know more on this at http://docs.apigee.com/app-ser...

How has it helped my organization?

This platform has opened the doors for a different line of business altogether. We are now able to monetize our features and deliver them easily through APIs. Since the advent of mobile and IoT, we are focusing on providing an easy interface for third parties and developers, and Apigee has given us a head start in that direction.

What needs improvement?

The installation and management of this product are still a clumsy task. They are developing the monitoring feature based on influx DB and Grafana, but it still has a way to go before it can be used in a production environment. The documentation for OPDK on different component integration is not available or not sufficient. Since it is based on various open sourced projects, we might have to depend on the fixes provided by those components rather than Apigee directly fixing the issues.

I have used this product for more than 2 years.

I have worked with versions 14.16.05 to 14.17.01. The latest version as of this writing is 14.17.05 which brings in many good features and some fixes and security patches. The details of this version can be found out at their release notes page. http://docs.apigee.com/release-notes/content/apigee-release-notes

This a stable solution as long as you don’t meddle with the topology of your installation. You have to follow the strict start and stop sequences in case you need to add or remove some nodes.

This is an easily scalable product based on your needs and loads on the system. Almost all components can be scaled horizontally which gives it an edge over other options available in this domain. However, you will have to make sure that you follow the guidelines and strict steps, as documented by Apigee, for adding or removing the nodes for a specific component.

Technical support is really good, as long as you provide them complete details and causes of system failure. If you are a cloud customer then you might not have to deal with support as frequently, but for OPDK customers you either need to have your own technical team to manage your infrastructure or get one of the service providers to do it for you. Apigee provides complete operational and developer training programs, though they will charge you good money for these.

I haven’t quite used any other product in API domain other than Apigee. Although I have worked once with Akana, it was for a different use case altogether.

The setup is completely dependent on what you choose. If you go for the on-cloud version there is no setup needed. Within a week your API development will kick in and you can see the system live.

But for OPDK customers this will be a tedious task. They have some pre-requisites such as firewalls that need to be opened and, based on what topology you want, what is your expected use of the platform and how you want to mold it as per your enterprise security guidelines. These will govern the installation and initial setup of the platform.

Based on your usage of the APIs you can take a decision to go with either an on-cloud or OPDK version. Get in touch with the sales representatives of Apigee.

For on-premise, they usually offer Enterprise plans with different licensing options. Apigee also has a tie-up with SAP where SAP sells Apigee on-premise and On-cloud versions. Apart from rebranding SAP, it also adds some security from the SAP software delivery front. If you are looking to get an API platform and have Apigee as an option, then do evaluate your usage and requirements, as Apigee provides great features based on your requirements.
    Check out the pricing and features details at https://apigee.com/api-management/#/pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Set goals for future enhancement and extensions as this platform provides a lot of features that you can leverage to build different lines of business. Start with a small or medium scale topology and, based on the analysis of platform usage, you can always scale it to your need.

Apigee is among the leaders in API platforms. They have been in the API field since the time it was introduced. Constant innovation and introduction of new features into the product faster than the competition makes them one of the leaders. Also, now that Apigee is part of Google, we can foresee a good road map ahead for this platform. For sure, Google will have their input regarding the features and will try to make it more compatible with Google’s existing infrastructure such as Google Engine and Google Cloud Platform.

API Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The APIGEE SaaS offering is quite stable.​
    • "The following features are most valuable: API Management, Analytics, Quota, and the Developer Portal."
    • "Role-based access management needs to be improved. It would also be nice if the solution could be integrated with code versioning systems like Git/Bitbucket."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Being an employee of a service-based company, we have implemented the product for different customers.

What needs improvement?

I have used this solution for more than 2 years.

The APIGEE SaaS offering is quite stable.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

On scale of 1-10, I would rate technical support 8.

No, I have not used any other tools.

The on-premises setup is really complex.

As most of the customers say, the tool is a bit expensive.

I did evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

The tool is good, easy to use, and has good customer support.

Download our free Apigee Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022