Amazon API Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon API Gateway is the #6 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Amazon API Gateway an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Amazon API Gateway is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure API Management: Amazon API Gateway vs Microsoft Azure API Management. Amazon API Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Amazon API Gateway?

Amazon API Gateway is a fully managed service that makes it easy for developers to create, publish, maintain, monitor, and secure APIs at any scale. With a few clicks in the AWS Management Console, you can create an API that acts as a "front door" for applications to access data, business logic, or functionality from your back-end services, such as workloads running on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), code running on AWS Lambda, or any Web application.

Amazon API Gateway Customers

Autodesk, Fox Digital Consumer Group, iFlix, UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Miovision, Olympusat, PhotoVogue, Royale International Group, Veracode

Amazon API Gateway Video

Amazon API Gateway Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon API Gateway pricing:
  • "There are no licensing fees."
  • "Amazon API Gateway has various pricing plans, but I cannot give the exact cost, though I can say that it's expensive. On a scale of one to five, I'd rate the pricing for Amazon API Gateway as two, as the solution is one of the most expensive products in the market for API management."
  • "I am satisfied with the price."
  • "Fees are volume-based."
  • Amazon API Gateway Reviews

Cloud Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Secure, easy to use, includes WAF rules, has responsive technical support, and provides excellent documentation
    • "It is very helpful, with our API-based applications."
    • "Monitoring could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

When you have multiple API applications, Amazon API Gateway can serve as both your front end and your middleware. When you have microservices, for example, you can run Amazon API Gateway with Kubernetes. It can also build out the requests.

We also have the serverless application being hosted in Lambda. Lambda is an AWS resource that we use Amazon API Gateway with when we have received a request. It redirects the traffic to that particular request.

What is most valuable?

It's a brilliant service.

It is very helpful, with our API-based applications. As a service that is provided by Amazon, you do not need to maintain it or, monitor the traffic, you can simply configure it and it is ready to use.

Amazon API Gateway is secure, you can have the WAF rules, base protected. In terms of security, you can always have WAF rules, it's good.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to integration, it is currently integrated with CloudWatch monitoring. As a result, monitoring the APIs to external servers is not an option. This is a feature that should be added, similar to what we have for ServiceManager.

Monitoring could be improved.

I have been using Amazon API Gateway for three years.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, MuleSoft and others in API Management. Updated: November 2022.
    653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Amazon API Gateway does not require scaling. We can easily add certain rules.

You can update, and deploy it at any time. They have a zero content deployment strategy in place.

We have many different applications with this solution. We have approximately 30 to 40 applications that use this solution.

I have raised some tickets with concerns or issues that we have experienced and they have been quick to respond. We have full support from AWS. The technical support is very good.

The installation is straightforward. It can be done through the command line or just by using the UI.

The documentation provided by Amazon is wonderful. You just follow the steps and you can easily get started with it.

We have used it through Terraform, we created the scripts, opened the pathways, and configured them. Once the script is ready, it can be applied. This process is not an issue and can be done in two to three minutes.

When it is being done through the UI, you have all of the configurations in mind, and it doesn't require a lot of time to set up. When the setup is ready, you just have to apply. It does not require a lot of time overall.

We have a technical team and a development team who work on creating the New APIs. They are very familiar with this solution. One person who is very familiar and one other maintain this solution. At times, we have a team of three or four people who have experience with AWS to deploy, maintain, and create the configurations.

There are no licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

It is the most recommended solution to use.

What I have explored is limited. I am not sure if any other external integrations are required. To my knowledge, they already integrate with other services. We are pleased with what we have.

I would definitely recommend this solution for microservices-based applications. For example, if they are using a Lambda function that is serverless, you will want to move the Lambda functions to the API gateway it is recommended.

I would rate Amazon API Gateway a nine out of ten.

Namrata G - PeerSpot reviewer
    Independent Technology Consultant - Financial Softwares at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    User-friendly, easy to set up, and has a knowledgeable technical support team
    • "What I like best about Amazon API Gateway is that it's simple to use, easy to set up, and you can quickly get it up and running. It's a very user-friendly solution. I also didn't experience any issues in terms of Amazon API Gateway interface, integration, or monitoring. The solution runs smoothly."
    • "Currently, I'm not facing any issues with Amazon API Gateway, which satisfies my requirements. I'm pretty happy with what Amazon API Gateway offers, but as its pricing is on the higher side, that's one area for improvement in the solution. What I'd like to see in the next release of Amazon API Gateway is an improvement in the status checks you get from the monitoring feature of the solution. Currently, you get the number of requests received, the number of reports, etc., but if there are more details than what's given by Amazon API Gateway, that will improve the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Amazon API Gateway for API management.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about Amazon API Gateway is that it's simple to use, easy to set up, and you can quickly get it up and running. It's a very user-friendly solution.

I also didn't experience any issues in terms of Amazon API Gateway interface, integration, or monitoring. The solution runs smoothly.

What needs improvement?

Currently, I'm not facing any issues with Amazon API Gateway, which satisfies my requirements. I'm pretty happy with what Amazon API Gateway offers, but as its pricing is on the higher side, that's one area for improvement in the solution.

What I'd like to see in the next release of Amazon API Gateway is an improvement in the status checks you get from the monitoring feature of the solution. Currently, you get the number of requests received, the number of reports, etc., but if there are more details than what's given by Amazon API Gateway, that will improve the solution.

I've been using Amazon API Gateway for around a year.

Amazon API Gateway is a very stable solution.

Amazon API Gateway is a scalable solution.

Support for Amazon API Gateway is quite good. The support team is knowledgeable. I interacted with the support team only once, as it's a pretty stable solution, so I don't need much support, but the interaction I had with the team was professional.

On a scale of one to five, I'd rate overall support for Amazon API Gateway as four.

The initial setup for Amazon API Gateway was easy. I would rate it as five on a scale of one to five.

Amazon API Gateway has various pricing plans, but I cannot give the exact cost, though I can say that it's expensive. On a scale of one to five, I'd rate the pricing for Amazon API Gateway as two, as the solution is one of the most expensive products in the market for API management.

What other advice do I have?

My company has around three to four team members who use Amazon API Gateway, but the solution is also being used by many clients who connect to it and consume APIs.

Amazon API Gateway is being used daily.

I advise anyone looking into using Amazon API Gateway to go ahead and use the solution. Still, you should consider your load requirements and what you're looking for in a solution before making that decision.

My rating for Amazon API Gateway is nine out of ten.

I'm a customer of Amazon API Gateway.

November 2022
    653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Technical Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    A complete solution with good security, integration, and stability
    • "Its security feature is the most valuable because it is mainly a security solution. It has easy authentication and authorization, and its integration is also useful."
    • "The user interface, in general, can be better. The user interface for the entire Amazon cloud can be more friendly. There are some scenarios that are not really easy to manage and configure through the user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for normal API purposes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The user interface, in general, can be better. The user interface for the entire Amazon cloud can be more friendly. There are some scenarios that are not really easy to manage and configure through the user interface.

I have been using this solution for more or less one year.

Its stability is great.

It is very scalable because it is in the cloud. We might have around ten thousand users of this solution. The client for whom we deployed this solution is using this solution and won't be changing it or increasing its usage in the near future.

I haven't really used technical support. Its documentation is really good and complete. There are a lot of things on the website that you can use.

We didn't have a different solution.

It is ready to be used because it is in the cloud. It is very straightforward to set it up with some support. The deployment duration depends on the number of services, but generally, it takes around two hours.

We used an in-house resource. In terms of maintenance, we have a team that supervises not only this product but also other products. I think the product itself doesn't require much monitoring or maintenance. It is really managed by the cloud.

We didn't evaluate other options because our environment is in Amazon, so it didn't make sense to use another solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution for anyone whose strategy is to run entirely on Amazon. You basically have to use another approach if that's not the case. If you have a hybrid cloud or if you are trying to be independent of the cloud, this is not a good solution for you.

I would rate Amazon API Gateway an eight out of ten. It is a complete solution.

SatyajitTarai - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical architect at STCS
    Easy to set up, integrates well with AWS services and is reliable
    • "t is easy for integrations if it is deployed in AWS Services."
    • "We would like to see more UI-based monitoring."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is we have some internal APIs that we need to expose to the outside world. Via API Gateway, we expose those APIs to the external world.

What is most valuable?

It is easy for integrations if it is deployed in AWS Services.

The setup is very simple.

It is stable and reliable.

It can scale well.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more UI-based monitoring.

I've been using API Gateway for around six months.

It's a stable, reliable product. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We can scale the product. it's not a problem if we need to expand it.

The solution was just recently deployed. We have about 1,000 new users on it. When were are fully operational, we will have about 10,000 users on the solution. We are still in the process of expanding usage.

We've never had to reach out to technical support. Therefore, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We also use Apigee from Google.

We didn't switch from anything. This was a new requirement. Since all of our components are in AWS, we took the AWS API Gateway solution to make it easy for integration for all other AWS components.

The solution offers an easy initial setup.

It takes two weeks to deploy the solution.

We only need about two individuals to handle any maintenance tasks. We may need up to six people once we are fully up and running. We'll need one manager, two administrators, and two people for support.

We did the implementation in-house. We did not need outside assistance from consultants or integrators. We had people on our team that could do it.

We did evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies. If you are using AWS components, then it is a good product.

I'd rate the product eight out of ten.

Project Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Easy to use in combination with other Amazon services and enables us to to assess our internal services in our VPC
    • "Amazon stack is easy to use in combination with other Amazon services, so it was a logical continuity."
    • "The user interface could be improved, as well as customer support and having a local customer representative in a country."

What is our primary use case?

We use an API from Amazon to assess our internal services in our VPC and to limit the access of certain users to API and to have an execution plan. Certain users have certain access to API calls that they could use to give them an assessed quota.

The solution is deployed on a private cloud.

What is most valuable?

Amazon stack is easy to use in combination with other Amazon services, so it was a logical continuity. We use Amazon Lambda, so using Amazon API Gateway is the logical continuity of the same step. It wouldn't be very practical to use technology from Azure because we are already using Amazon.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, as well as customer support and having a local customer representative in a country. Monitoring could also be improved a bit.

I have been using this solution for one year.

The solution is stable so far.

It is scalable.

I haven't had a case where I needed to talk to a local representative, but as an overall problem for sales, that is something that could be improved.

We usually find answers on the internet or through other materials.

The solution was easy to set up. I did the setup by myself.

I am satisfied with the price.

We evaluated other options like Microsoft. They are very similar, but because of our customers, they insist on using Amazon.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

If you get used to a certain technology, you would definitely recommend it to your customer because you have experience. We recommend this technology to our customers because we are using it for other products and we have experience, and then the core learning or integration course is shorter.

Private Cloud
    Sr. Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It's easy to integrate and provide support for existing AWS services
    • "It's easy to integrate and provide support for existing AWS services if I use the AWS API gateway."
    • "I am not completely satisfied with Technical Support."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for API routing and managing traffic. These are managed authentications between the API and back to primary users.

What is most valuable?

Our services are deployed only in AWS Cloud. It's easy to integrate and provide support for existing AWS services if I use the AWS API gateway. I'm going to continue using it for my projects. A few of the projects are deployed in Amazon, some in GCP, but most are on the AWS.

What needs improvement?

I am not completely satisfied with Technical Support. They were finding it difficult to get to the AWS API gateway. Also, the traffic percentage was not calculating correctly.

I have used Amazon API gateway for a year or so. We use a Hybrid version.

It's very stable. I'm satisfied with that.

I'm satisfied.

I am not completely satisfied with Technical Support.

It's straightforward. It took 15 minutes to deploy.

We implemented this in-house.

We compared Google APIG to the Amazon APIG. The Google APIG is more for the open banking APIWSA2. The Google APIG are more advanced in terms of the open banking API compared to the AWS API gateway.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it for open banking. I would rate it 8 out of 10. To get to 10 it would It would need more support for open banking, via the open API. If your existing workloads are in AWS, then you can surely go for the AWS Amazon, AWS API gateway. If it is a hybrid solution, then I would suggest you go for WSA2. Konghybrid GCP is also good.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Software Development Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Good technical support, and priced well, but the integration needs improvement
    • "It's flexible. It was valuable."
    • "The integration could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon API Gateway to compliment or to put a security facade on top of your current APIs.

What is most valuable?

It's flexible. It was valuable.

What needs improvement?

We have not yet explored all of the capabilities. We are looking for a developer portal that may or may not be included, we are not sure.

The integration could be improved.

I have been using Amazon API Gateway for three months. We are using it for a project but it is not in production yet.

There are no issues with the stability of the Amazon API Gateway.

Amazon API Gateway is a scalable solution.

We have integrated into probably eight different areas. We have high volumes. We probably process over 100,000 contracts a day through it.

Amazon has provided us with a dedicated technical advisor. We haven't had any issues with technical support. We're very pleased with it.

There was a bit of a learning curve because we scripted it, but after that it was fine.

We completed the installation ourselves.

Fees are volume-based.

For our current volume, the price is fine, it is what we would expect.

What other advice do I have?

It is doing what we need at this point, there isn't anything extra that we would want.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Amazon API Gateway a seven out of ten.

RafiAhmed - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at 720 Sieg IT Solutions Inc
    App building platform that plays an important role in security and the scanning of data
    • "All information and data needs to be sanitized before it enters a private domain and we use this solution to do this."
    • "From a use cases perspective, you need to have an internal and external gateway. AWS can only handle external traffic so has to be used together with another solution."

What is our primary use case?

The gateway is the first layer of protection. When traffic comes in, we need to complete a couple of validation steps such as adding a rate limit. We then scan documents for viruses and upload them. All information and data needs to be sanitized before it enters a private domain and we use this solution to do this.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the SQL injection.

What needs improvement?

The UI and UX of this solution could be improved. From a use cases perspective, you need to have an internal and external gateway. AWS can only handle external traffic so has to be used together with another solution.

We have been using this solution for two years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

A lot of learning materials are available and it is easier than it used to be to use. Previously you needed to pay for support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup is straightforward. From security perspective, it takes time to get everything approved.

Huawei has their own version of API Gateway, which is equivalent or better than AWS in some cases. It is pre integrated with standard security features.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on an organization's use case and architecture.

Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, MuleSoft, and more!
    Updated: November 2022