IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Alluvio Aternity  OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Alluvio Aternity is #1 ranked solution in top Digital Experience Monitoring tools, #3 ranked solution in top Mobile APM tools, and #4 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give Alluvio Aternity an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Alluvio Aternity is most commonly compared to Nexthink: Alluvio Aternity vs Nexthink. Alluvio Aternity is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Alluvio Aternity Buyer's Guide

Download the Alluvio Aternity Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Alluvio Aternity ?

Alluvio Aternity full-spectrum Digital Experience Management provides insight into the business impact of customer and employee digital experience by capturing and storing technical telemetry at scale from employee devices, every type of business application, and your cloud-native application service.

It also helps you resolve issues quickly by showing you response time breakdown between client device, network, and application back ends. Aternity provides AI-powered visibility into the end user experience of every cloud, SaaS, thick client, or enterprise mobile app, whether it runs on a virtual, physical, or mobile device.

Aternity Features

Aternity has many valuable features, including:

• Automatic discovery of every application in your enterprise portfolio, including SaaS and Shadow IT apps.
  • Click to render - measuring users' interactions with applications in the context of a business process.
  • Change validation - validating the impact of any type of device, application, or infrastructure change on end user experience.
  • Self-healing - automated remediation actions to recover from the most commonly expected user experience issues.
  • Anomaly detection - proactive notification of end-user issues
  • Transaction tracing of distributed applications - including cloud-native apps, via OpenTelemetry
  • Application troubleshooting - identify the cause of application issues

Aternity Benefits

Some of the biggest advantages the Aternity offers include:

• Resolve problems quickly: With Aternity, you can monitor client-side latency, analyze the health and key metrics of the end user’s device, and correlate app performance to the virtual systems they are running on.
  • Reduce virtualization sprawl: Aternity helps you eliminate under-utilized resources with its ability to correlate the inventory of virtual desktop infrastructure to actual usage.
  • Experience level agreement (XLA): Aternity’s XLA feature can help your organization prove quality of service. Specifically, the XLA validates that business activity performance across all applications meets expectations by geography, department, and data center.
  • Mitigate IT transformation risk: Aternity helps you achieve success of both strategic and tactical IT initiatives.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by Aternity users.

PeerSpot user Ryan P., Head of Cyber Security Engineering & Oversight at a media company, says, "The most valuable thing that you get from Aternity is very broad visibility. You get visibility of your network, of your endpoints, of your software usage, your application performance, capacity, in one pane of glass. We had 20 to 30 IT tools, including application performance monitoring, network monitoring, security, endpoint detection, network protection, capacity management, service management — every kind of monitoring you can imagine. But Aternity was always the first place that I turned for anything, because you can see everything in it."

An Endpoint Administration Manager at a financial services firm mentions, “It gives you the ability to filter the comparison by geography, industry, or company size.” He also adds, “We have absolutely seen ROI. It's really given us a very high level of visibility that we've just not ever had.”

A Regional Network Manager at a recruiting/HR firm comments, "Aternity provides metrics about actual employee experience of all business-critical apps, rather than just a few. It does some out-of-the-box monitoring for the Office suite, but you can create custom monitoring for any of your applications, whether a web client or a desktop application."

A Sr. IT Manager at a manufacturing company states, "The most valuable feature is the application performance troubleshooting because Aternity is able to provide the performance from the end-user perspective. It doesn't just give the standard application logon time, etc., rather it's also able to measure the performance inside the application, the performance of specific transactions in the application, and break it down into three elements: the client time, the network time, and the server time. This gives us a lot of insights into what we need to focus on to improve the performance of an application."

Alluvio Aternity was previously known as Aternity, Workforce APM, Aternity Frontline, Riverbed SteelCenter Aternity.

Alluvio Aternity Customers

Maersk, SwissRe, Travis Perkins, Michelin, National Instruments, Simmons & Simmons, Lighthouse Guild

Alluvio Aternity Video

Archived Alluvio Aternity Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user508131 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Admin at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
  • "While it also provides desktop metrics, the main thing we use it for is monitoring our applications."
  • "Some of the dashboarding and reporting on the analytics side could be improved. I think they realize it. Obviously, some of the desktop monitoring metrics always can be improved."

What is most valuable?

The introspection into the desktops, there's nothing else that we have that will do that. While it also provides desktop metrics, the main thing we use it for is monitoring our applications. I would say we use the application side of it the most.

What needs improvement?

The biggest improvement would be the ease with which you monitor applications. It's a little clunky right now; it takes a little bit of time. It's very manual right now; maybe it can be automated more. I’m not even sure that they can make it better, but they have started to. There's a weakness, but it's kind of due to the type of tool it is; it's going to be there. It's probably always going to be there, no matter how easy they make it.

Also, when you call in to support, a couple of times they haven't had the best of luck as far as getting the answer right away. It has taken a little time. I don't think it's any worse than any of the other tools we have, but there's always room for improvement there.

We had one conflict with a version of an application I believe we were using. We had a conflict with one of the variables that Aternity didn't anticipate a variable getting wiped out, and it did. It would actually hang one of the applications, but they corrected it very, very quickly. To completely solve it and get us an actual fix for it, it took maybe a couple of weeks. They actually figured out what it was and knew basically how to mitigate it, how we could avoid it, within a day or two, it wasn't very long.

I have not encountered any scalability issues. We're right around 7-8 thousand desktops right now. We're just now getting ready to scale that up a little bit. We're probably doubling that soon. Aternity should be able to handle that many users eventually. I don't see any issues there.

Alluvio Aternity
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Alluvio Aternity . Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I'd say technical support is an 8/10.

We didn't really switch from another product to Aternity. We actually added Aternity because it's a niche product with it being able to introspect in the desktop. We have tools that will do application monitoring, just not from the desktop, to provide the desktop perspective. It's actually an add-on for us.

Initial setup was very straightforward.

Before choosing Aternity, we actually looked around and we didn't really have anything that met the need. We couldn't find anything that met the need that Aternity does.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely plan on monitoring the application. If you're doing a lot of customer applications, you'll definitely need to have that relationship with your app teams already in place, or it's going to be very difficult. You probably need to have that plan in place before you buy a product like this.

On your side, in your IT team, you need to integrate your application developer teams into the process right from the beginning. You need to have that in place. If that's not in place, it's probably not going to work well.

You can find it on the Riverbed forumn under SteelCentral and then Aternity
The link is splash.riverbed.com/community/product-lines/steelcentral/steelcentral-aternity

it_user621015 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Infrastructure Applications at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides the ability to troubleshoot on the backend. The dashboards and reporting features are not user friendly.
  • "The application response time. That's what our business has been having a problem with."
  • "Reports were a lot easier in the older versions"

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't improved the way it functions. It has improved the ability to troubleshoot on the backend.

When maneuvering between certain applications, it might have been slow, but it was actually not the system. It was the associate that was slow. It's caused a little bit of a training change for us.

What needs improvement?

• Dashboards and reporting features: They are not user-friendly
  • Reports were a lot easier in the older versions
  • They need to revamp their whole sales, management, and technical support. Their technology is fine. It's the associates around it that make it not worth my while.

I have been using Aternity for two years.

We have not had stability issues.

Scalability is fine.

We have had a little bit of help from them. I am not too impressed, to be honest. I would give them a rating of 2/5, because they don't respond very quickly.

We've talked to sales reps and we've talked to managers. We didn't talk directly to a technical manager, but we had problems with communication as a whole from the company, whether it's technical support, sales, or management.

We didn't have a previous solution.

The implementation was pretty straightforward. There were no problems.

Pricing is a bit high. Don't take that as the "be all, end all".

I have not had any training yet, so I really can't commit to that. The newer version is a lot harder than the older version. We didn't need training with the older version. That's why we didn't do it. That's why I'm saying training is key for this.

The training that I think everybody should take on creating signatures. Don't rely on them to create your signatures. It takes way too long and costs way too much.

I can't remember the name of the product we evaluated. There were only two out there at the time and Gardner recommended one of them.

What other advice do I have?

Have the right training upfront. That's really about it.

Alluvio Aternity
August 2022
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user621018 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Systems/Applications Delivery Manager at a legal firm
It identifies issues on user systems. With the new version, customers lost so much control of what they can do with the product.
  • "Being able to proactively identify issues on user systems."
  • "When they moved from Version 8 to Version 9, the customers lost so much control of what they could do with the product."

How has it helped my organization?

• We can solve problems before they grow to be a larger problem
  • We can identify trends
  • We can assist a user with a problem that they haven't told us they have yet

It's all about being proactive and solving problems before they're big. It's also a customer service perspective, too. If we know someone's hard drive is about to blow up and they haven't even called in the service desk yet, it's pretty cool that you can go and say, "Hey, your hard drive is about to blow up." They respond, "Well, how did you know that? I've been having problems." It's pretty cool.

What is most valuable?

Being able to proactively identify issues on user systems.

What needs improvement?

When they moved from Version 8 to Version 9, the customers lost so much control of what they could do with the product. They need to give back what they took from us. In the previous version:

• We could create our own monitors easily
  • We could set incidents easily
  • We could look at the thresholds for our configuration and change them accordingly

We can't do any of that now.

Scalability didn’t seem to be a problem.

Their technical support structure is terrible. I would give them a rating of 2/5.

We did not use a previous solution.

The setup was what we expected. We had to configure the product to work and to detect things in our environment. That took some time. It wasn’t just come in, install it in one day, and you are done. It's come in, install it, and then, let's really configure the product to meet your needs. That took some time.

It's very expensive. I think it's overpriced. If they want to get the full value out of the product, they need to be able to dedicate people to train, to learn how to create monitors themselves, and have people assigned to look at the data. That takes time. Depending on the size of your organization, you must have one or two people just doing this. In some cases, that could be a lot of money.

You also have to develop systems and processes around reacting to that data. For example, if the solution detects that someone has low space available on their computer, it is not going to call that user and help them automatically delete some files so they have more space. There has to be a process in place to have somebody view that data and to take action on it. That's my point. It gives you good information. You have to build processes and take the time to look at the data. That just requires people, and people are money.

I don't remember if we looked at other options. I don't think there's another product on the market quite like Aternity.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that needs to be managed and monitored. To really pull the value out of it, you have to use it. It's not magically going to fix everything for you. It does a lot very well, but it takes people to look at the data and to react to what the tool is telling you.

it_user268209 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Project Manager at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ability to monitor crash and health event issues at a user level is valuable. I think they need to focus more on ad-hoc and customized reporting.
  • "The ability to monitor crash and health event issues at a user level"
  • "It all comes in pretty nice looking charts and things, but we have a hard time pulling out hard data, which is usually what you'll need if you're trying to be actionable."

How has it helped my organization?

Having data from the user perspective has helped us target our activities. Otherwise, we're operating off of a lot of anecdotal evidence. Users would say things like, "Oh, my computer's slow or it's crashing a lot." We wouldn't have that actual, quantifiable data from that user. We also wouldn't have it from the high-level perspective to understand.

What is most valuable?

There are two most valuable features:

• The ability to monitor crash and health event issues at a user level
  • The ability to get performance data, customized performance data from our enterprise production apps, third-party apps, specifically like Microsoft and HP and so on

Most of the other APM solutions don't really monitor third-party apps as much. They can't go in and do the normal monitoring of, for example, Microsoft Word, or something similar.

What needs improvement?

I think they need to focus more on ad-hoc and customized reporting. They also need to allow the users to be able to create their own dashboards, rather than only be able to use what's out of the box. I do know that this is on their development roadmap, but those were the two things, from our perspective, that jump out.

I'd like to be able to pull data out of Aternity a little easier. It all comes in pretty nice looking charts and things, but we have a hard time pulling out hard data, which is usually what you'll need if you're trying to be actionable.

To deserve a higher rating, we would need some additional data, access to additional data around crashes, and they would need to add more robust reporting or ad-hoc reporting module and customizable dashboards.

I did not have any stability issues in this time span.

I have not had any scalability issues. It's an awesome solution. From a performance perspective, we haven't seen any issues. The agents on each machine sometimes will start eating up too much CPU, but they have a self-moderator and if they do that, they shut off. We haven't had any issues there. From a data perspective, it gets more effective the more data you have, the more you scale up. No, there aren't any scalability issues.

We have run into some issues and we have contacted technical support, which has been adequate. However, because it's such a short time frame, we're still often dealing with the implementation support team, rather than their standard support team. So I don't really know what their support would be like in a normal function.

We have a tech assigned to us, since we're still in the implementation phase. I can't really speak to what their standard support is like.

We were looking for the ability to get some performance data from our third-party enterprise apps, like our Microsoft Office, our internal document management system, and so on. We wanted some data on, from a user perspective, how long it was taking to open, how long it was taking to do specific tasks within the applications. We wanted some data to be used internally for SLAs and to develop KPIs and items of that nature. We have pictures from the backend, from a network or a server perspective, but we didn't have any user data. Collecting that data manually was pretty time-intensive and relatively inaccurate. With Aternity, we now have the data.

I think the next steps, since it's essentially a net new function, we have to start integrating the data as far as developing how we're going to handle SLAs and how we're going to handle the KPI reports and things like that. Immediately, we're using it also as a secondary function to assist with problem and incident identification and resolution, using it there as well to monitor crash data firm-wise and so on.

Initial setup is pretty straightforward for the actual install. We used SCCM to deploy. That was pretty easy; it came in a pre-packaged MSI. I think the more difficult part is training and having your team members understand how to utilize the tool. Their training programs could probably use a little work. I'd say that was about it. From a technical perspective, the implementation was relatively seamless. But from a process perspective, especially if you're not replacing something, it was difficult. So we're still working through that.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have a well-developed plan for integrating it with your existing processes before you roll it out. Other than that, I wouldn't say much. It's pretty easy to roll out and it's really just leveraging it as effectively as possible is what I think you want to make sure you focus on.

it_user490683 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager Application Support at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great at identifying trends underlying in large amounts of data.

What is most valuable?

It's a monitoring tool. Specifically, it monitors very well the ability to sort large amounts of data into something that is actionable. Once you know how to use it, it's very good at identifying trends underlying in large amounts of data.

It's used to monitor our application performance. Desktop health, network health, things of that nature. We have used it to identify issues impacting large amounts of end users with applications, issues with our network, issues with our group policy setups or exchange, all sorts of stuff.

How has it helped my organization?

We've built a task force that I was the head of to resolve some longstanding issues with our existing Windows 7 image. The Aternity application was a key product in helping us not only identify the issue, or at least quantify the issue and begin to narrow down the likely causes of it, but it also allowed us to measure how successful we were at implementing changes, moving the needle in the right direction. It's helped us stabilize our exchange environment.

The latest thing we did with it, specifically, was track down an issue in which our end users were disconnecting from Exchange on a alarmingly frequent basis. It allowed us to figure out what was going on, implement a solution, and then validate the solution was in fact working.

What needs improvement?

The product itself is actually extremely solid. The support of Aternity, specifically their client success management and after-sales support and training leave a lot to be desired. They've gotten better with my last engagement with them, which was beginning in May.

We're still ongoing with a little bit of training. We recently switched from their on-premise Aternity 7 version to their cloud SaaS-based Aternity 9 product. Largely, once you get the product and you have it set up and get it installed, the relationship management after-sales leaves a lot to be desired. The product itself is actually really, really fantastic.

Between the Aternity 7 and the Aternity 9 version, they've made a whole repolish of the UI. They rethought the entire UI to make it usable for folks that haven't spent 40 to 60 hours training in the product, like I have.

We're getting a lot more value out of the product from every single level of IT, all the way from our service desk up to our executives and back down. They've done a very good job at innovating on the product. It's more so the support and professionalism of their client success managers and after-call support that leave a lot to be desired.

Their product is a 10. The support is a five. I'm going to average them out to about a seven and a half to an eight. I hope they're able to continue to improve. I want to make clear they have improved and I've been much more impressed with their support recently than I was over the last three years.

I hope that's not a function of an ongoing engagement and additional large sum of money that we've tossed at them in order to set up the new product. If they can improve on their support, then they would be in a really, really good position.

I have been using this product for close to three years.

We did have some issues with the SQL database side of the product, when it first stood up, and the application server would lock up. Not always, but there was a period of maybe six to eight months when the application server - or the IAS services specifically - would stop functioning, or we would get some deadlocks on the database. It was a task to deal with Aternity support to really identify those particular issues, but overall, the stability of the product was pretty good. I think we'll have less of those issues now that we don't have to maintain our own servers. It's all handled in the cloud. I imagine that since it's a high-availability service, considering it's a cloud-based application, that we will likely not see those issues moving forward. If we do, I won't have to fix them.

I have not had any scalability issues at all. The deployment of the actual monitoring agent is probably the easiest thing we've deployed through SCCM in years. It's very, very simple. It's easy for us to upgrade. It's silent. It doesn't impact the end user when we install it. It's extremely scalable. We currently have it monitoring all of our end user workstations, which is approximately 1,600 computers.

We do have it on some of our servers, but not all. We're looking to scale that up in the new environment, which will equate to roughly 800 servers, as well as another 12 to 15 for our Citrix infrastructure. Overall, we're close to 3,000 total endpoints being monitored by the product, and it's extremely easy to install and configure. We package it. We put it in SCCM and it installs. It's really, really simple.

Recently, technical support has been fantastic. Prior to us being involved in an ongoing engagement with them, it was a little rough. We had to constantly follow back up with them. My calls and emails, depending on urgency, were not necessarily met with what I believe would be an acceptable SLA, especially considering the expense of the product. It's not a cheap product by any way, shape for form. Recently, the engagements that I've had with them have been far improved. We had two particular issues with the product when we moved to the Aternity 9 environment.

The first one, the installation of the agent itself removed a couple of registry values on our end users machines that caused a piece of our Citrix to not function for our entire environment. They not only identified the issue, provided me a solution I could deploy over group policy within less than three hours, but they also delivered me a new agent version the next day that had the issue resolved, which I was extremely impressed with. I had a four-hour down time. They did a really, really good job of taking care of that for me.

Then I had an issue where the application was not displaying fully correctly in Internet Explorer. Once I submitted the ticket for that, and it was a lower priority, they contacted me within 24 hours, and we had a solution implemented within 48 hours. I would say they're definitely trending in the right direction. My hope is that it doesn't fall off once we're done with our active projects.

Previously, we had several monitoring applications, but nothing that really is able to draw a large picture the way that Aternity is. Did we use other products? Yes. To any level of success? Definitely not. There's really not anything like it on the market that we've been able to find. The algorithms that it uses and the ability to aggregate such a large amount of information in a way that make it really, really easy to use for every member of IT. I use this product every single day. I'm probably the most knowledgeable user of the product, and it's extremely powerful. I really don't know of anything on the market that's like it. The product is phenomenal. I really can't speak highly enough about how powerful the product is, and recently they cleared the one major hurdle with the product in that it wasn't very user friendly.

The on-premise setup was relatively complex. The transition to the cloud platform was really easy. Really, really, easy. One, because the professional services team did all of it for us, but just by the nature of the product and how it functions, the setup of it is always going to be somewhat complex. Specifically, in designing the signatures and the monitors for very specific activities and actions that are undertaken within an application, or on a server. There's always going to be a level of complexity.

Once you set it up, it's very, very easy to maintain. It's considerably easier to maintain when you don't have to maintain your servers, which is where we're at now. There is always an inherent level of complexity, but the upgrade from our on-premise environment to the cloud-based was extremely easy. They were able to import all of our existing settings, with a few exceptions, into it. The training on it has been absolutely fantastic. It's pretty easy. They even gave us training on how to author and signature the monitors themselves, which has allowed us to expand our ability to support and customize the application in real time in a way that allows us to get more out of the product then we were already doing. We were already getting a very large amount of value out of the product.

it_user489111 - PeerSpot reviewer
Vice President, Infrastructure Management at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It provides unique insight and the nature of the product is dynamic.
  • "The most valuable feature for me is being able to monitor the productivity of every employee in the company as well as third-party, outsourced companies that work on our behalf."
  • "I would improve the dashboard, the presentation player."

How has it helped my organization?

Because we can proactively see the productivity and performance of employees and people working on behalf of the company, we're able to see degrading performance and address the root cause prior to business impact.

What is most valuable?

And I also monitor cloud services. It can take that much workload.

What needs improvement?

I would improve the dashboard, the presentation player.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

We have it right now pretty much enterprise-wide, so it's very scalable.

Technical support has been top-notch.

We evaluated other companies such as a product from a company called Lakeside Software.

Initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I'm rating this solution as high as possible because of the unique insight that it provides and the dynamic nature of the product.

it_user487605 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Engineer Associate at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
  • "The item we use the most and what upper management wants is the SLA reports. It's a good summary of how the applications are performing over time from month to month."
  • "I think the workflow needs improvement"

How has it helped my organization?

If we have an application that appears to be causing problems, like if users are seeing slowness, we'll go back to Aternity and look at the data. From there we'll try to get info about where things might be going wrong and then send it to whichever team needs to take a look at it, such as the network team or the application team. It could be a desktop issue, in which case we can try to see at least where the problem is using Aternity.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We're two versions behind so some items have probably been taken care in the newer versions. In our current one, I think the workflow needs improvement. I wouldn't say our desktop is an issue to be able to click into it deeper and then move to where the problem is on the desktop site. From what I've seen in the demos of the newest version, have already improved on that.

On the server side we had a web app for a while, the web portal into the Aternity console would just freeze and crash, and then we had to reboot the servers and then it would come back up. I contacted support and they were able to find out what the problem was and we got it resolved.

We haven't grown all that much really as far as number of workstations. We are having more and more people jump into the console side of it and I don't think there's any issues there.

It's pretty good. Sometimes the response could may be a little better but overall it's pretty good.

This is the first solution we had.

I don't know because I wasn't involved with the initial setup. I came into it a little after the initial setup but I have done upgrades since then and those are done through support hours and Aternity just walked us through it. They remote into the machines and then we just let them do the upgrades for us, so I would say pretty simple then.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you're set up correctly. In order to get the actual full view of what's going on we would recommend to deploy the agent to all of your computers instead of just some of them.

The version that I've seen, the one thing it doesn't do which I don't know if it's really meant to do is that you're getting all the view from the client side but sometimes it's not possible to look on the server side at anything that's happening on that side of things. It's good to see what the users are seeing but doesn't do a great job of digging into what the problems could be on the backend. It'll kind of tell you if it's the backend or not but from there it's limited.

it_user487617 - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Design/Capacity Planning at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use it to eliminate a lot of the time generally spent troubleshooting. It provides us with more visibility.
  • "All of it, but it depends on who the end user is. The folks that support the applications, like the signatures that we've developed, it gives them feedback on their application performance."
  • "Signature development process requires deep technical expertise in the application and in the use of their studio tools that help you create it."

How has it helped my organization?

One of the things we wanted to do is we have a number of call centers that are at a disparate, some of them are partners, some of them are owned and operated, and when we have an issue reported from a call center, we could end up with forty people on a phone call trying to figure out what was going on. They're running around, w'ere reporting in individual workstation, this agent says, "Hey, I got this problem and it's over here," and you got to stop and document that. Then they have another guy who says, "I got this problem over here," so you have all these disparate pieces of information that you have manually correlate with a bunch of people on a phone call for hours and hours and hours.

With Aternity you can gather that perspective quickly, it's gathered automatically, so that slow response time or issues with the application, hung workstations or network issues, you get that perspective right away. It eliminates a lot of the time spent troubleshooting.

What is most valuable?

All of it, but it depends on who the end user is. The folks that support the applications, like the signatures that we've developed, it gives them feedback on their application performance. The folks that deal with the IT with their desktop in the call centers like it because it gives them visibility into the desktops that they wouldn't otherwise have. Then the guys that are responsible for our mobile devices like the mobile aspect. The reason they like the features is they didn't have them beforehand - it's visibility they didn't have prior to this tool.

For instance, the folks in the call centers if they wanted to look at a workstation that wasn't performing or was having an issue, they had to go to the workstation or remote into the workstation. They had an agent that kept having issues with her machine and they couldn't tell what was going on, every time they looked at it it'd reboot. With the Aternity tool they were able to see she was actually powering the thing off and then saying, "Hey, I can't do my job," so there were some shenanigans. It gives good visibility into what the behaviour is of the agent interacting with the workstation as well as interacting with the applications.

From the application owners perspective, we have real user monitors out there in the call center and we've got sniffers that capture the transactions as they come across a network, and synthetic transactions and that sort of stuff going on, but it really didn't give them that view from the call center agents workstation. It gives them a more realistic picture of what's going on than from a networks perspective. You're actually now getting it from the workstations perspective. Then the wireless guys, (the people that are dealing with the handhelds), that's just visibility we didn't have and there are a number of tools. Since we already had Aternity deployed in the call center, it was a natural extension.

What needs improvement?

Signature development process requires deep technical expertise in the application and in the use of their studio tools that help you create it. I know they're aware of that and I know they're focused on making stuff simpler. I think in version nine we'll probably see improvements. That's the biggest thing for us, and unless you're creating those signatures on a daily basis, that needs to be your full-time job to maintain the expertise to do it properly. We're still depending on their professional services to help us with that.

In v7, we had some stability issues and those all got resolved, but the first six months of being up we had some stability issues. Now we're on v8, and looking to upgrade to v9. So far, it has been rock solid. It's completely stable, I can't believe it's stable as it is.

Well we overbuild. Our environment is overbuilt, we're built to handle twice the workload that we have. Our model is you live and die by your peaks. All of our stuff is built to handle those peaks. That's just a natural for us, we overbuild it. We haven't had workload related issues.

It was good. One of the things that just for me, I came from a field service background, I worked for Digital Equipment back in the '80's and '90's, and there when you provided customer service you had a fifteen minute call back time. Nowadays you send an email or open a ticket online and you hear back in four hours and so your primary communication mechanism is by email or by updating a ticket on a website. I like phone calls, and that's just a general trend in the industry. I like a phone call back, but that's not anything anybody's doing, so that seems to be lacking in the industry. There are no better or worse than any other, as far as response time.

We didn't use a different solution.

It was straightforward. We used their professional services to do it because we hadn't been exposed to it before, and our environment is sizable. It's not like we installed the app on one box, it's broken up into six components plus an Oracle backend database, so it's a pretty sizable implementation. It's not that complex to manage and maintain. Regarding the installation - unless you're doing it every day, you probably want their professional services to help you.

We evaluated some different solutions. One that we looked at was more for agent behaviour evaluation than it was for monitoring. The analysis there was too deep for our purposes. We wanted the instrumentation that would tell us when there's an issue, and you can certainly do that with both tools, but the other tool is a lot more about understanding that agent's individual actions, and it was just a different tool. We do have other tools, there's RUM and Synthetic Transactions going on as well. This was an enhancement to that.

What other advice do I have?

The first thing I would do is the application owners need to put monitoring and managing the signature set, or the monitor set, that you develop for the applications into their release process. When you do a release for an application, you need to include developing and testing the existing monitors, testing the existing monitors and fixing them if the application breaks them and if the release breaks them. You need to manage your monitors along with the application releases.

it_user201618 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We were able to identify bottlenecks in the application code that we had.
  • "Desktop monitoring, and being able to understand the performance of applications that runs on the desktop."
  • "The thing that I think most companies like ourselves would want would be an easier way to customize custom scripts."

Improvements to My Organization

We were able to identify bottlenecks in the application code that we had. A good example would be JavaScript, as we found that we had inefficient JavaScript in some applications.

Valuable Features

Room for Improvement

The thing that I think most companies like ourselves would want would be an easier way to customize custom scripts. It does a lot of out of the box standard monitoring, but there are special applications that every organization have, and right now, creating the custom scripts requires technical resource support from Aternity.

It's fairly robust in terms of its architecture design and development.

We haven't really scaled it as we've only installed it on a customer base of about 300 desktops.

It was straightforward. Because it was a very small agent that we deployed, and did not require a lot of customization. By small agent, I mean the footprint of the agent was very small to install, and it didn't really require a lot of customization.

Other Solutions Considered

The product is kind of unique. We used other products in the past, I don't even know the names of them because they were old IBM products dating back to the 60s and 70s. Aternity sort of fits a niche in the marketplace. I don't know of too many tools that do what they do.

Other Advice

I think the nature of, and it's not only desktops, but people that are doing mobile development, that the industry is changing whereby the applications that are being developed today are using more and more of the local processing resources on the client. Because of that, it's important to have tools that can monitor the client performance and look at resource utilization, things such as JavaScript run locally on the client.

it_user458040 - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Engineer Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
The Desktop Health dashboard gives you the ability to see the trend in health of all desktops in a historical view.
  • "The dashboards of this platform are the most valuable, especially the Desktop Health dashboard."
  • "I would say the reporting capabilities of this product could use room for improvement."

How has it helped my organization?

It improved our connection to other teams when performing troubleshooting tasks. This is huge when dealing with a large organization with multiple tiers of support, and having an end user utilizing an application that could have number of things go wrong. This deep dive can help mitigate the problem and help align escalations.

What is most valuable?

The dashboards of this platform are the most valuable, especially the Desktop Health dashboard. This gives you the ability to see the trend in health of all desktops in a historical view.

What needs improvement?

I would say the reporting capabilities of this product could use room for improvement.I would say the reporting capabilities of this product could use room for improvement. The standard reports that are given are not the greatest, and no custom ones can be created; however, I am told that the latest version of Aternity offers this!

Our only issue with stability was with our previous version, 6.0, and being upgraded to version 8.0.5 was a massive improvement.

I don’t foresee any issues with scalability. We are well aware of the current load that Aternity has on our current infrastructure and we'll monitor how big our environment grows so we can set aside budgets to increase the infrastructure if needed.

9/10. Their technical support is very customer-centric and professional. Their determination is to resolve the problem fast without hindering quality.

We have always used Aternity for end-user monitoring.

It's complex in someways, and our fix to this was to have the vendor perform the installation. We paid a premium for this service.

If the scale of your monitoring will be to go everywhere in an organization, a site license is key.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a 10 because of the way it is able to dive down into the application and report everything that is going wrong with a certain application functions, helping give a full view of the end user’s experience.

Be sure to have a PoC done in a test environment with 100-200 users, if possible, to validate all means of the platform. This will come in handy supporting the tool as an administrator.

it_user385023 - PeerSpot reviewer
Programmer Analyst and DCT Coordinator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The two most valuable features for us are its abilities to validate the customer experience and ​to measure performance before and after upgrades.
  • "The two most valuable features for us are its abilities to validate the customer experience and to measure performance before and after upgrades."
  • "Reliability: Issues interfering with the deployment and use of the product has made its use reduced in scope."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• Intuitive use: The GUI isn’t intuitive and several elements of its design differ in appearance and function with other parts of the interface.
  • Reliability: Issues interfering with the deployment and use of the product has made its use reduced in scope.

We've had issues with stability. We have a case pending and instead of fixing version 7.1.7, we're looking to upgrade to 7.1.9 instead.

We've had no issues with scalability.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent.

We had no previous solution.

The initial setup was complex. There’s a lot of architecture and installation, configuration, and setup of varying pieces to make it all work.

The vendor implemented it for us. They did an excellent job, as usual.

What other advice do I have?

Understand what it does, what it can do, what it can't do, and set realistic expectations.

it_user19185 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user19185V.P. - Pre-Production Performance Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees

Great to see someone including themselves as part of the issues during deployment. I see people always blaming vendors/tools on matters that many times have to do with the complexity and natures of their own technology and bureaucratic organizations

it_user383703 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Adminstrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
  • "The most valuable feature for us is trend analysis, particularly with device-help type of events and computer help events, such as blue screens, application errors, and application crashes."
  • "I can see the location and computer model and I can see a bunch of different attributes. But one thing I can't see is the Internet Explorer version."

How has it helped my organization?

Without a product that can store this type of data and give you a front end for analysis, you don't really have a lot of statistical knowledge about a problem. You might get user complaints about this or that, but this solution can tell you that there is an actual problem. It also tells you exactly what time the problem started happening and where it started happening.

Without a product that can do this, you don't really have eyes into that and you're just relying on help desk tickets and some guessing. Putting a time frame on when an issue started occurring is really helpful, then you can look at what changes were deduced in the environment at that time. You can really start analyzing the issue quickly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is trend analysis, particularly with device-help type of events and computer help events, such as blue screens, application errors, and application crashes. It also gives us the ability to correlate that with different attributes, such as location or the Internet Explorer version or whatever comparisons we'd like to try to make to analyze our environment.

What needs improvement?

They have a lot of features built into the product, but it would be nice if they had some additional features that I think a lot of organizations would benefit from. For instance, I can see the location and computer model and I can see a bunch of different attributes. But one thing I can't see is the Internet Explorer version.

I'd also like to see some more use interface upgrades to make it easier for people to utilize. I think it's easy for a person like me, who uses the product daily, but it's not so easy for somebody who only intermittently uses the product to interface with it.

It has been stable, but I know they're planning some updates in the future to version 9, and that might really spin it around the other way. Future upgrades might really impact us.

For us, yes, it has been scalable, because we started off with a fairly small user base on a very large platform hardware-wise. We've never had to upgrade our hardware yet as we increased our user base.

As with most vendors, if you're troubleshooting a difficult issue, you have to break through the levels of troubleshooting to get to the really high-end engineers, and that can sometimes take some time.

The big trigger for us was that we have a lot of small offices. They don't have any IT presence and we wanted to really try to validate users' concerns and performance in those remote sites without actually having to send a tech there.

It's pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Try to get implementation correct right-off-the-bat. Try to get some training sessions scheduled with Aternity and lock them down into helping you utilize the user interface.

it_user382059 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Advisor, IT Operations at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable features for us are the ​Incident Management dashboard, Application Status dashboard, and Activity Analysis UI​.
  • "The most valuable features for us are the Incident Management dashboard, Application Status dashboard, and Activity Analysis UI."
  • "The only thing I can say which has been frustrating are the Tableau workspace/dashboard options out-of-the-box, at least prior to version 8."

How has it helped my organization?

The overarching value of the tool is its real-time accuracy, down to the user/host level. We use it for the front-line aspect which is so often discussed in the Aternity videos, or more specifically, to triage issues as they occur and determine whether the main problem is application, host, or network related.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The only thing I can say which has been frustrating are the Tableau workspace/dashboard options out-of-the-box, at least prior to version 8. A simple example: the US map can be ¼ of the dashboard, but there's no out-of-the-box full-screen US map which can show minor/major data points for business locations. And the ¼ screen widget of the US map is, of course, not by default expandable to the full screen. A trifle for sure, but annoying. I think

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no scalability issues from a pure agent-volume standpoint. However, the memory and CPU requirements of the Tableau server (also hosts the Tableau Aternity Gateway daemon) cannot be underestimated. 12GB of RAM and quad-core CPU was not sufficient.

We go through an Aternity business partner -- J9 Tech -- who is absolutely outstanding. In the cases where they have to open their own internal tickets with Aternity, the support is truly the best I’ve seen in my 18 years traveling, consulting, and fixing complex software issues across many different vendors. The degree to which Aternity customer support is proactive is off the charts. And the skill, speed, and precision of the technical support from both their implementation services team as well as their development team in Tel Aviv is simply par excellence — the best by a mile and in a class by itself.

We use NetIQ (base Windows host resource monitoring), HP’s BPM (synthetic trans scripting), and some of IBM’s ITCAM for Robotic Response Time, and we actually continue to use them for various business units which are accustomed to them. None have the level of granularity possible with Aternity for event/end-user monitoring or the level of real-time precision.

The initial setup was very straightforward -- three-tier arch with all communications occurring upstream (Management Server implements agent config changes by touching a file to the aggregation servers -- tier2 -- which is then picked up not by a downcall to the agent, but by an upcall from the agent to the Agg server). Thus, network and firewall issues are vastly simplified.

We did both with J9 Tech, the aforementioned Aternity business partner, as well as some in-house help from yours truly and a few colleagues.

Our ROI is not nearly as much as it could be as we’re only now getting our internal customers to use it for more than just triaging incidents or real-time problem analysis. Alerting, incident management, and reporting are woefully under-utilized as of yet for us.

It’s a little on the costly side, but if you license intelligently, accounting for your various hosts connecting in through VDI or terminal servers, you can make it well worth your money. The product quality will speak for itself.

I wasn’t involved before the P.O. was signed, but I hear we narrowed very quickly to Aternity based on recommendations like this one which we received from other prior customers.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely ensure your internal customers/constituents are fully on board before rollout—network route and firewall issues can plague what should otherwise be a smooth deployment. Once deployment is complete you will be amazed how quickly valid, actionable data comes out of the UI.

it_user380955 - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Performance Analyst at Helmerich & Payne
​The data collected by the agents on each end point is the most valuable feature for us.
  • "The data collected by the agents on each end point is the most valuable feature for us."
  • "The dashboards and navigatability of the platform could use improvement. It often takes five or six clicks to drill down to exactly what you want to see."

How has it helped my organization?

The data we have collected from monitored applications has shown that the problems we thought we were having were actually completely different in nature. We have been able to pinpoint performance issues related to certain activities, and because the monitor-writing tools are so extensible, we’ve been able to break activities down and see exactly which part is causing bottlenecks. We can then take that information to the app teams to discuss what can be done to make things better (i.e., optimize the queries that certain actions initiate, etc.).

What is most valuable?

The data collected by the agents on each end point is the most valuable feature for us. There is so much valuable information that the agent can send back to the Aternity platform, and even though the dashboards that come out of the box with the installation aren’t always the most intuitive, we have been able to use the data itself for our own custom visualizations and reporting.

What needs improvement?

The dashboards and navigatability of the platform could use improvement. It often takes five or six clicks to drill down to exactly what you want to see, but many of our stakeholder groups have refused to use the tool because they perceive it as “too cumbersome” to get the information they need. As a Tableau developer myself, I’ve been able to provide certain customizations that have helped, but overall this is the biggest area of opportunity for improvement that I see with Aternity.

We had no issues with stability.

This question isn't really applicable to us. We purchased 1500 licenses and currently don't even use 1/3 of those.

Customer service is the best I have ever encountered from a software vendor. They're responsive, courteous, thorough, and share our sense of urgency in getting issues resolved.

I'd rate technical support through the roof. There was one issue we were having with a certain .dll file that wasn’t working properly in our Citrix environment. It took over a month to finally reach resolution (it turned out we have some settings configured incorrectly within Citrix), and during that time the support team thoroughly and diligently investigated every piece of information we sent. They also connected us directly with the R&D department, who spent an hour with us doing a screen share, looking in our environment and explaining exactly why this problem was happening, and proposing several solutions (one of which worked, and we were able to fix it). They were professional, friendly, and knew their stuff!

Yes – we used CitraTest, which was a tool that allows you to generate and conduct synthetic transactions on a schedule. Tools like this have their place, but it wasn’t accomplishing what we really needed, which was to understand actual user experience and pain points. Additionally, this particular tool didn’t work the way the documentation stated, and their support team was rude, condescending, and actually in denial of the issues (even though I provided screen shots, timestamps, detailed documentation, etc.).

The initial setup was mostly straightforward. The Citrix setup was a little more complicated, but that was partly because our Citrix admin left in the middle of the process and hadn’t completed all of the pre-installation checks.

We implemented it in-house. An implementation engineer from Aternity came and spent four days with us, and we installed and implemented together. Then our team handled it from there.

I’m honestly not sure and I don’t know how we would even quantify that, because the process of analyzing performance has been so disorganized and touched by so many hands. We’ve had different tools, different teams, and no real protocol for handling any of it. But Aternity is helping a lot with that end of it.

I advise that you buy more endpoints than you think you need, unless you’re already buying enough for the entire organization. One point of frustration for me has been the fact that we are only collecting a sample of data, and I’m not convinced that it’s completely representative of all problems a user could have. As for pricing, our management squeezed Aternity pretty hard on the pricing, in my opinion a little too much. I advise negotiating for sure, but I do think it left kind of a sour taste in Aternity’s mouth that we were being so pushy despite the fact that we were only purchasing a small number of licenses.

We didn’t – we did a cursory search for other tools to vet, but couldn’t find anything else that did what Aternity does, so we decided to test only that one.

What other advice do I have?

Do it. You won’t regret it. And when you do it, make sure there’s someone in-house who is excited and willing to learn the product inside and out, because you will have SUCH a better experience with implementation and analysis.

Paul Truhe - PeerSpot reviewer
User Experience Management Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It's improved our organization by giving us visualizations and measurements of what users are often doing and by quantifying how the application is performing.
  • "The user experience it provides is the most valuable feature for us."
  • "They've additionally added some great color coding, but they need to explain better and drive down further on the meanings of this workflow."

Improvements to My Organization

It's improved our organization by giving us visualizations and measurements of what users are often doing and by quantifying how the application is performing, how persistent it is, etc.

Valuable Features

In our current version, the user experience it provides is the most valuable feature for us. Also, the performance navigator is very valuable.

Room for Improvement

I’ve seen the version 9 demo and they have really improved the product. It starts out as a high-level view. They've additionally added some great color coding, but they need to explain better and drive down further on the meanings of this workflow. For example, how quickly can I see why it’s not showing green?

Once you get it configured with full enterprise deployment, it's stable. There are minor modifications that needs to be done so that it's all-in-all stable.

You just hold on to certain components and base this on your size. In this way, it's stable.

The only fault I would give them is that I do troubleshooting on my own. If they could simplify or skip some stuff it would be great.

The initial setup was straightforward as they did this for us. The daily operation is straightforward.

Implementation Team

We implemented it through a vendor team.

Other Advice

This is the only tool we use to show us what the user is doing. It's also the quickest product for its value. I'd highly recommend the product.

Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
It allows us to offer application transaction response times to different lines of business
  • "The detailed level of information you are able to get on the complete environment all of the way down to a specific machine."
  • "To monitor these transactions, you need to look at it, analyze it and capture it. It requires a little bit of work, but in an environment like ours, you need it to be easier."

How has it helped my organization?

We just made an additional purchase which was kind of small. It allows us to offer various business groups and their application reaction times. We didn’t have this before as we were using stopwatches to measure and trend it.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of great features. The detailed level of information you are able to get on the complete environment all of the way down to a specific machine.

What needs improvement?

I think the next release has what we are looking for. I guess they are working on this now, but to monitor these transactions, you need to look at it, analyze it and capture it. It requires a little bit of work, but in an environment like ours, you need it to be easier. They are making great strides to make this easier. I’d like it to still be easier yet, though it might not be possible because unless you have a background, it really makes it hard to do it on your own.

It's consistently stable with excellent performance. We are at maximum capacity. I have had no problems with the server or with the clients. If anything goes above or out of control or CPU resources are used up, it will restart that service or shut it down. It's very stable as far as the server is concerned.

It's very scalable compared to other software. Right now, we are going to 26,000 end points. It’s a common set up. We plan on going to 100,000 end points and it's as simple as adding some extra servers. It's very scalable with a familiar design.

The solution architects are great and are very knowledgeable. I have actually been up to their offices for training and some of their application developers were there from Israel. Very smart and willing to go above and beyond to make sure they are delivering.

We previously used different types of software.

It depends on what you are talking about. The setup of everything is very simple. The only time it gets complex, and it needs to be, is when you are working with home-grown applications and all of your thousands of people and developers. Your trying to isolate those transactions, but even that process is straightforward.

We used other software and we looked at 23 solutions. It very specifically meets our goals. It really depends on the needs.

What other advice do I have?

Some of the biggest things I like about the software is that it’s simple to use and you can learn it in a few hours. Something this easy to use shouldn’t be so powerful. In one hour, people can be overwhelmed with the information they can get from such a simple UI. Data analytics is a simple, easy-to-use interface.

it_user359469 - PeerSpot reviewer
CST at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's going to give us an easier capability for monitoring, particularly with implementation of Tableau into the dashboards.

Valuable Features

The dashboards and the analysis tools, especially the navigator, are great features and are very valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

We haven’t changed our version yet, but we are working with newer versions of operating systems. This is what we are hoping to get from it. Maybe an easier capability for monitoring and that’s what this product is going to give us. From what I understand, when we implemented Tableau into the dashboards it really worked well.

Room for Improvement

I’d like to be able to build monitors easier. That has to be an easier process, and they need to make the program less complicated. The documentation could be better. Also, I'd like to be able to download the latest version for testing.

Use of Solution

We've used it for six months.

I think it’s fairly stable. We distribute across various different servers, we shut them down so it works properly. You come in sometimes and it works, sometimes you have to shut it down and then it works again.

We don’t have any problems with scaling. We haven’t really done much with it to be honest.

They are very timely, they get back to us quickly, and they are very good.

Complex. I read the documentation, but it's still complex.

Other Advice

Aternity is end-user monitoring. It can do all kinds of monitoring. All of the other APMs are web-based. This one can do it all.

You can find it on the Riverbed forumn under SteelCentral and then Aternity

VP - Application Performance Monitoring at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to be proactive in our application monitoring, but the schema is difficult to work with when constructing custom dashboards.

Valuable Features:

• Proactive application monitoring that is application-architecture independent.
  • Advanced dashboards.

Improvements to My Organization:

• The advanced dashboards allow operations teams the ability to focus on outliers.
  • Overall reduction in mean time to repair (MTTR).

Room for Improvement:

Schema is difficult to work with when constructing custom dashboards.