IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Akamai Kona Site Defender OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Akamai Kona Site Defender is #5 ranked solution in top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools and #12 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. PeerSpot users give Akamai Kona Site Defender an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Akamai Kona Site Defender is most commonly compared to AWS WAF: Akamai Kona Site Defender vs AWS WAF. Akamai Kona Site Defender is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Web Application Firewall (WAF) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Akamai Kona Site Defender?
Akamai's Kona Site Defender extends security beyond the data center while maintaining site performance and availability in the face of fast-changing threats. It leverages the power of the Akamai Intelligent Platform to detect, identify and mitigate Denial-of-Service (DoS) and Distributed Denial-of-Service (DDoS) attacks before they ever reach the origin.

Akamai Kona Site Defender was previously known as Kona Site Defender, Kona.

Akamai Kona Site Defender Customers
AvidMobile, itBit
Akamai Kona Site Defender Video

Archived Akamai Kona Site Defender Reviews (more than two years old)

Solutions Architect, Cloud & SDDC at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
CDN and WAF features are an essential element with APIs a key element of the infrastructure
  • "The CDN and the WAF features are the best."
  • "Could integrate more features for each security."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple use cases but the solution is primarily for content delivery network. The product has multiple features so we area also using it as a wall. It's really a combination between a CDN and a WAF. We also use Adidol switches. We are partners with Akamai and I'm a cloud solution architect.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is very open because it's for public cloud and the interface is also very open. It's equal to having things like infrastructure as code to be defined, as well as having the ability to configure additional interfaces that we need for a service.

What is most valuable?

The CDN and the WAF features are the best in this solution.

What needs improvement?

I think there could be an improvement with the integration of more features for each security. Possibly inline IPS and more granularity for configuration.

I'd like to see incremental or integrated security features or maybe even for our transit anti-malware. It goes hand in hand with things like DLP.

Web Application Firewall (WAF)
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Imperva and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: July 2022.
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution has been very reliable.

As a software it is very scalable. We don't have a problem with scaling the product or scaling the capabilities. This is more of an enterprise construct, so we provide it as a service which means there are not many users, everything is defined as code. For anything that requires a CDN, we'll use this construct and it will scale according to the enterprise.

The technical support is above average and good.

The initial setup was quite simple. It took between two to four weeks because it was quite a large deployment. Our strategy was to first implement a baseline and then to incrementally add any requirements for certain applications. We have a partnership with professional services from Aster Mind, as well as our own service integration services, to perform the setup. We had two staff members involved in deployment and they assist with maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

Programmability in the cloud is very important. So whatever we can program by APIs and define by API is very important in the infrastructure.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Other
Head of Cloud Security & DevSecOps at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
A fully managed DDoS solution with good technical support
  • "The most valuable feature is the DDoS protection, which is the main reason we got it."
  • "The interface is a little bit clunky and can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution primarily to prevent DDoS attacks.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The interface is a little bit clunky and can be improved. It takes a while to get from here to there.

I have been using Akamai Kona Site Defender for two years.

This solution is stable and we haven't seen any problems at all. It's been a very simple service to use, so far.

Being a cloud-based service, it scales up and down as per your needs.

We have between 10 and 20 users, who are engineers and integrators, and we are satisfied with it.

I have been in touch with technical support and I don't have any complaints. It is a good service.

We did not use another DDoS solution prior to this one.

This solution is fully managed by the vendor so it is smooth sailing. They handle everything including the initial setup. There is no staff required for deployment or maintenance on my end.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is evaluating this solution is to first evaluate your needs, and then check to see how much you need to put into this solution.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Site Defender is that you should do an analysis first, to see how it will fit into your ecosystem. You decide whether to buy it based on that, rather than because it is a good product. You have to make sure that it is compatible with your environment.

Overall, I am happy with Site Defender because what it's doing, it's doing well. I can't think of a single feature that might be missing.

Private Cloud
Web Application Firewall (WAF)
July 2022
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Abhay Chrungoo - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to move faster with new products because we have this layer of protection set up in our infrastructure
  • "It enables us to move faster with new products because we have this layer of protection set up in our infrastructure."
  • "The WAF features definitely have a lot of room for improvement. A lot of the WAF is really basic. For some products or some of our solutions, we need to run a second layer of more advanced WAF. If it had better layer seven protection then we would not need a second WAF."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it as DDoS on a basic WAF. We use a hybrid cloud deployment model.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to move faster with new products because we have this layer of protection set up in our infrastructure.

It saves time and gives us a consistent way to export those services.

What is most valuable?

It's a SaaS solution and so it's scalable outside of our infrastructure. That's the most valuable thing for us.

What needs improvement?

We use Akamai because it's good at what it does. There are some other things that we would like it to be good at and it's not that good. Quality of protection is our primary concern.

We need more advanced layer seven protection, SQL injection, applied scripting, and more confidence in the precision of the system. I think all of those things would be very useful for us.

We've been using this solution for about five years.

It's fairly stable. We're happy with the stability of the product.

It's being used fairly extensively, any new internet-facing applications are going through Akamai Kona. Whether we extend the usage really depends on whether it's going to meet some of the quality objectives with web application firewalls.

The initial setup was straightforward. It has an API. We haven't hit any kinks that we couldn't work with it.

What other advice do I have?

As far as DDoS protection is concerned, I'm firmly in the Akamai Kona box.

In terms of consistency, I think people should consider API-based adoption for Kona configuration. That gives us a broader state which looks and feels the same, and a small team can support it rather than needing a large team to support it.

For what it does, it's really good. For what we want it to do, there's room for improvement. I'd give it an eight and a half out of ten. In order for it to be a 10 I would say that it should be one of the market-leading WAF solutions and not just a volumetric solution.

Security Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Keeps our sites up through any size of attack, but some of the dashboards could be better
  • "It is scalable for DDoS."
  • "There are some issues with pushing configurations across a network. It still takes about 20 minutes and that means to retract it's another 20 minutes."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for website protection.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of mean time to detect, what we usually see is that it mitigates. It has also improved staff productivity be about 20 percent.

What is most valuable?

• It is scalable for DDoS.
  • Keeps our sites up through any size of attack.
  • It has a good breadth of controls.
  • From a general security platform perspective, it's quite nice. It allows you to have rotating blacklists.

What needs improvement?

• I would like to see some non-related reputation categories. If they had some way of detecting activity on their platform, that would be helpful.
  • Web request analytics is hard to do between them and us.
  • There are some issues with pushing configurations across a network. It still takes about 20 minutes and that means to retract it's another 20 minutes.
  • Also, some of their monitoring dashboards that show us what's hitting us, and with which we analyze, have room for improvement.

It has been very stable. We've had no problems with it.

Technical support has been wonderful for us.

Before Akamai we didn't have a solution. With Akamai, we get the speed we need.

I don't have discrete datapoints, but there is an advantage to having this kind of service where we don't have to track things ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

Keep your eyes open. There are a lot of solutions out there. You can even see products being deployed in the public cloud, which is nice for scaling up. Keep your eyes on the horizon. There's a lot to look forward to.

For Kona, we use several products, including their Site Acceleration Services. Our security maturity is very different from when we first started using Akamai.

it_user628032 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Security Analyst at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The most valuable features are caching, DDoS protection, and a web application firewall.

What is most valuable?

• Caching
  • DDoS protection
  • Web application firewall

How has it helped my organization?

It provides our customers with offload and protection for their environments.

What needs improvement?

They should allow for multiple security configurations in one account which will enhance the scalability.

For business partners/resellers, there are minor issues that you can encounter when switching between the customer environments.

I have used this solution for around two years.

This product is rock solid. We did not encounter any outages in the two years that I have been using it.

From a managed service perspective, improvements can be made when you have to deal with multiple customers/environments.

Single customer environment: You may need to compromise in some features. For example, when deploying very large environments, that have different technologies underneath. (Ten or more sites.)

Multiple teams: There is only one security configuration that can hold several WAF policies and it can be shared among all sites. Each site can have its own site configuration. It can configure different aspects, as compared to the security configuration.

I would give the technical support a rating of 7/10. It is not consistent and it depends on the level of expertise of the support staff member who is assigned to your case.

The setup depends on the skill level of the 'customer'. If you are familiar with the concept of a load balancer and are familiar with HTTP SSL/TLS and all of their respective implications, then it is straightforward and intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

First of all, in this day and age, DDoS protection is a must.

Akamai is a very reliable provider and a very safe bet that will suit most environments' needs.

This product is great, once it is fine-tuned. Be ready to spend some time to get all the noise filtered out each time you launch a new application on the platform.

Make sure you know how your applications behave. Have a solid grasp on HTTP(S)-related concepts and technologies.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are business partners/resellers/managed service offerings
Infrastructure Manager at a tech vendor
The Site Defender service helps prepare, respond, and optimize against modern-day web attacks, but the combination of cloud security solutions could be improved.

Valuable Features:

Cloud security solutions

Improvements to My Organization:

Site Defender service helps prepare, respond, and optimize against modern-day web attacks.

Room for Improvement:

Cloud security solutions combination

IT Systems & Operations Manager at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a solution that's a less expensive alternative to other CDN and DDOS providers.

Valuable Features

It's a very good solution.

It's a clear cheaper alternative to others expensive CDN and DDOS solutions.

Many sites are working with Akamai now.

Use of Solution

I've been working with them for 10 months.

Excellent and quick support.

Excellent and quick support.

Download our free Web Application Firewall (WAF) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Imperva, and more!
Updated: July 2022