Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Akamai Bot Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Akamai Bot Manager is #1 ranked solution in top Bot Management tools. PeerSpot users give Akamai Bot Manager an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Akamai Bot Manager is most commonly compared to F5 Shape Security: Akamai Bot Manager vs F5 Shape Security. Akamai Bot Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a retailer, accounting for 18% of all views.
What is Akamai Bot Manager?

Bot Manager relies on the simple premise that bots are not all created equal. Many bots play a legitimate role in your online business strategy. Others harm your business by reducing competitive advantage, getting between you and your customers, or committing fraud. Bot Manager provides a flexible framework to manage bot traffic based on the needs of your business - to better engage with your customers, improve your security posture, and control the traffic coming to your website every day.

Akamai Bot Manager Customers
Luisa Via Roma, Gymgrossisten, Rakuten, U.S. News & World Report, Japan Airlines
Akamai Bot Manager Video

Akamai Bot Manager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Akamai Bot Manager pricing:
  • "Akamai Bot Manager requires a separate license that sits on top of Kona or Akamai Web Application Protector."
  • "The price of Akamai Bot Manager could improve."
  • Akamai Bot Manager Reviews

Chief Technologist at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    User-friendly rules, but it's expensive to customize
    • "Akamai Bot Manager has more advanced rules that allow it to detect and block bot scrapers."
    • "There are other rules that are user-friendly, however, many of the things have a learning curve. This is not something you enter into lightly."

What is our primary use case?

It has a bot detection methods and options for you to do more work blocking specific traffic. That is exactly what the Bot Manager does.

What is most valuable?

Akamai Bot Manager has more advanced rules that allow it to detect and block bot scrapers.

The problem is that because I have both, Akamai Bot Manager and Akamai Web Application Protector, I can't remember which features came from which because they are mixed.

When you go to Akamai's website and have both, it doesn't really say which is a Web Application Protector feature and which is a Bot Manager feature, or it doesn't say it easily. It's a little difficult to tell which feature is which, and which feature comes from which package.

What needs improvement?

It's not easy. I didn't just jump into it and start using it. There is a lot to learn here.

I've never used anything else. It works for me the majority of the time, and it serves its purpose.

Akamai Bot Manager is a stable solution. If everything is set up correctly, it should work. I don't see anything going down. This is not something that occurs in Akamai.

I can't think of anything to compare it to. Cloudflare has the closest offerings that are similar to all of this.

I've never come across another Bot Manager. We put it in place and it worked, so we stuck with it.

I will have to get a Cloudflare demo at some point to see what else is available.

There is no need for maintenance once you have it dialed in. It just runs and blocks your traffic.

Minor adjustments are required from time to time, but I would say there is no real maintenance.

We don't have a weekly review process in place. It just works.

It's difficult to calculate our return on investment on this. How do you even calculate ROI on a service?

Assume you pay $1000 per month. In contrast, if I didn't have this service, I would have to spend $15,000 per month of my time battling bots, scrapers, and whatever else comes in the door, and they would have downtime to consider.

We absolutely require a WAF and a Bot Manager, and this service is operational. It's working and has been for some time, and we need it. In that sense, it's a keeper.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Akamai Bot Manager a six out of ten. It could really do more.

There are some things that I would like the Bot Manager to do, but would be very expensive to customize. I didn't think those things were too difficult, but we didn't do them.

Neha Shakyawar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Information at a leisure / travel company with 51-200 employees
    Knowledgeable support, seamless integration, and scales well
    • "The most valuable features of Akamai Bot Manager are the seamless integration and accuracy with which it detects the bots that can make attacks."
    • "Akamai Bot Manager can improve by having better SDK integration. SDK would be required to integrate with any mobile applications and if they are able to make that more seamless, it will help."

What is our primary use case?

Akamai Bot Manager is used for security purposes. It helps prevent any bots which are trying to target our website and applications, unable to do so. The request or attack gets dropped at the Akamai lab before it comes and hits my cloud infrastructure or my applications. It makes my application more secure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Akamai Bot Manager are the seamless integration and accuracy with which it detects the bots that can make attacks.

What needs improvement?

Akamai Bot Manager can improve by having better SDK integration. SDK would be required to integrate with any mobile applications and if they are able to make that more seamless, it will help.

I have been using Akamai Bot Manager for approximately three years.

Akamai Bot Manager is stable.

The scalability of Akamai Bot Manager is very good.

Everyone in my company is using the solution in my company and is used every day.

The support from Akamai Bot Manager is very good. I have found them to be responsive and knowledgeable.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of Akamai Bot Manager is simple. The documentation that is provided is detailed.

We had help from the Akamai Bot Manager team to do the implementation.

The price of Akamai Bot Manager could improve.

I rate the price of Akamai Bot Manager a two out of five.

Akamai Bot Manager detection is very good, we do not have false positives. It is very accurate compared to other solutions. This is one of the reasons why we choose Akamai Bot Manager over other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Akamai Bot Manager a nine out of ten.