Most of the business applications stopped working, we don't know why and we have already escalated to the top level but we still haven't gotten any corrective action on this. They always take logs but after that, there is no resolution. They need to improve this, this will help us a lot. We have not blocked anything on a rule base we have enabled HTTPS on a monitoring mode but still, we are facing issues, and if we add an unknown category on that respective rule only then does it start working.
With Check Point Application Control we can say we improved our legacy and have made them more secure. Now we are able to allow specific applications on respective service and we are allowed those respective services only.