IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Veritas SaaS Backup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas SaaS Backup is #4 ranked solution in top SaaS Backup tools. PeerSpot users give Veritas SaaS Backup an average rating of 10 out of 10. Veritas SaaS Backup is most commonly compared to Veritas NetBackup: Veritas SaaS Backup vs Veritas NetBackup. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Veritas SaaS Backup?

Veritas SaaS Backup provides secure and scalable data protection across your entire Office 365 or Salesforce environment and beyond. It is designed for today’s technologies and today’s mobile workforce and organizations of all sizes. Protect SaaS productivity applications with the ability to access anywhere, anytime, and from any device, and instantly restore data with a single click.

Veritas SaaS Backup was previously known as SaaS Backup.

Download the SaaS Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Veritas SaaS Backup Video

Archived Veritas SaaS Backup Reviews (more than two years old)

Product Manager at PC Store
Excels in performance and delivery and is very comprehensive
  • "It's very comprehensive. It's one of the first brands to appear in its field."
  • "Licensing has been a struggle. It went from bronze, silver to gold. Licensing needs more sophistication. It has features that are sold as separate add-ons."

What is most valuable?

It's very comprehensive. It's one of the first brands to appear in its field. It has minor issues like compatibility and support. The software had a lot of bugs but as time has gone by the bugs were corrected. More features were added and optimized.  I have a higher education programming background, so I know how that works. I also like other software options.  Every single possible target has been added over time. People come for other solutions. We have a high-level relationship with the manufacturers so we have access to other features that they required.

What needs improvement?

I have been using it for around five years.

Technical support has been great.
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Veritas, Amazon, Metallic and others in SaaS Backup. Updated: May 2022.
597,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.

They have features that are overpriced and some that are fair. The mid-sized market isn't so great to judge the prices. It probably meets global needs. Overall, the pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It excels in performance and delivery but they are quiet on the market. They don't do a lot of marketing. There are plenty of IT people who haven't heard of Veritas so it's harder to sell.  I would recommend this solution. IT infrastructure reaches a point where it needs backup. There are freeware or cheaper options but those are only good for smaller companies. I would highly recommend it for mid-market to a large market.

Ashraf Ali - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Consultant at global brands
A scalable solution that is easy to configure and administer

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of administration and the ease of configuration.

What needs improvement?

Technical support can be improved.

I have worked with Veritas SaaS Backup for ten years.

This is a scalable solution.

This solution is not cheap and not expensive but priced in the mid-range.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to first conduct a PoC to learn about the various features that Veritas offers.

Overall, Veritas is a very good backup product, but nothing is perfect. Optimal software does not exist.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

May 2022
597,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use with a simple user interface, but the initial setup can be tricky

What is our primary use case?

We take a backup of each workstation and transfer all of them to tape. After that, we create an outside copy.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is simple to use. You don't have to keep changing parameters between backups.

The recovery process is easy to do.

The user interface is not complicated.

What needs improvement?

In the future, we would like to see support for virtualized machines.

We have been working with Veritas SaaS Backup for about ten years.

This solution is easy to scale. We have about 100 machines that are being backed up.

I have never spoken with technical support.

Normally the setup is straightforward, but sometimes when you go from environment to environment, it can be a little bit tricky. There are sometimes issues with compatibility.

We have an in-house team that deployed this product and is responsible for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

Veritas is okay and is a product that I would recommend.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Director with 11-50 employees
Stable and inexpensive but requires better usability
  • "It's a good solution. It's pretty stable."
  • "The usability of the solution isn't the best."

What is our primary use case?

We handle backup recovery and disaster recovery, using the air replication. We also use it to protect virtual environments - not just the physical servers - in order to protect all of our databases.

The solution also has appliances, making it an all-in-one solution. It offers general business continuity and disaster recovery for the industry. Basically, it's just utilizing all the functionality, within an appliance.

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution. It's pretty stable.

The solution is cheaper than competitors, like, for example, Commvault.

What needs improvement?

There's something about the database recovery that I would like to have improved. The solution doesn't deal with end-to-end recovery, for example, the way Oracle does. There is some involvement with the DBA, that you would need to actually complete the recovery.

The usability of the solution isn't the best.

Most other similar solutions support a wide range of storage of aides. This solution doesn't really, at least not to the same extent. This should be improved.

I've been using the solution from version 6.0 to the most recent edition.

The solution is pretty stable. I've never seen an environment really fall over.

I did a project for a London Council where I had to expand the solution. I can't remember the exact details, but it was quite scalable and I was able to increase the actual capacity of the appliances.

When I worked at Veritas I was technical support, so I know their processes quite well. I don't know if they've changed much since I've been there, however, I've worked with most of the people on the team.

If I was a customer, and I hadn't had any previous experience or had any dealings with technical support from Veritas, I might not think they are very good, and their help can be a bit drawn out because they have to do a plan of action.

If you call up because you have an issue, when you're applying for assistance, before they start working on any issue, you have to send over the log files, and the log files get analyzed. Then technical support will call you back. They might do a WebEx, or they might have a solution that you can read, and try to follow to fix the issue for yourself. In most cases, they'll just send you a document and leave it with you to go over and fix the issue by following the documentation.

Those that have been with Veritas for long time, the more senior ones, they don't bother with that. They'll just do a WebEx straight away. Which option you get depends on if you're lucky from a customer's point of view, and who you're dealing with.

We are partners with Veritas and Commvault, and a number of other software vendors, so we use many solutions, depending on the project or client.

I really don't like Veritas solution. I'm more of a Commvault person. I prefer Commvault to any other backup solutions.

From my point of view, Commvault is not as modular as NetBackup.

We use Commvault and find that in comparison, it's quite steady. It's mainly built for a Windows environment, but it does limited support on other operating systems. It's a tighter package than this solution. It's easier to understand and to analyze log files. It's easier to understand the process flows, between your mass server, media server and the client for any APIs that are in use. Everything's better, in my opinion, on Commvault.

The solution's initial setup was straightforward. I designed the setup, so I was following that particular design. It wasn't like a random setup, where I just sat in front of it and had a go in a way that was like trial and error. I was following a formula design, that was signed off by the architects and signed off by the directors and whatnot. It was pretty simple.

Myself and my business partner handled the implementation. Both of us came from Veritas, and it was a contract for the council. I started it, and I realized there was quite a lot of load, so I requested my business partner's assistance as well. Both of us implemented the backup and recovery solution, for Suffolk and Brent Council.

What other advice do I have?

Other people will prefer this solution because they're used to it. However, from my point of view, you have more breaks, more failures on it than you will with Commvault.

This solution was the market leader at one point. I don't know if they still are. I haven't been keeping up to date. There are more solutions on the market now, from what I'm seeing. The environments that are being protected are changing as well. Everything is more geared towards the cloud.

My advice to anyone who wants to purchase this solution or any other solution is to actually know the environment, what to protect, and what they're trying to achieve. You don't have to get the most expensive thing out there if you just want to do simple things.

Most of the solutions do the same thing and it won't fall over. They're all pretty stable.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

IT Manager at a sports company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalable, but has a lack of local storage and needs more scheduling capabilities
  • "The solution is stable; I haven't experienced any bugs or glitches on it."
  • "The solution does lack a lot of features, and we're considering switching."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a backup for our main boxes and console. It backs up our Linux server recoil machine.

What is most valuable?

The solution integrates well with EMC solutions.

What needs improvement?

The solution does lack a lot of features, and we're considering switching.

The solution needs to offer more scheduling options so that, for example, I could make a schedule for a backup and have it locate and transfer storage on remote servers. It would be nice if we were able to get consoles automatically working.

The solution has a lack of local storage.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is stable; I haven't experienced any bugs or glitches on it.

The solution is easy to expand, but there's a lack of local storage.

I can't speak to the initial implementation as it was already in place when I joined the company.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

At this point, I'd recommend other solutions as backups. I'd rate it six out of ten.

Technical Sales Engineer Individual Contributor at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Covers all of Office 365 but doesn't integrate with other cloud platforms
  • "I think the most important feature is the ability of SaaS Backup to cover all modules proposed by Office 365, because competing solutions don't cover the total scope."
  • "Currently, it isn't possible to use anything other than Veritas cloud to back up to. I think today it's important to cover the three major cloud provider: GCP, Azure and AWS."

What is our primary use case?

In general, people use this solution to back up their Office 365 environment. By default, when you use Office 365, you don't really have a solution to protect your data. They just want other unique points to centralize their backup with simplicity.

What is most valuable?

I think the most important feature is the ability of SaaS Backup to cover all modules proposed by Office 365 because competing solutions don't cover the total scope.

Veritas is in a good position. The major difference from the test is whether you backup directly on the Veritas cloud. Sometimes you may have a customer who prefers to backup directly onto Azure or AWS cloud and not the Veritas cloud.

What needs improvement?

Currently, it isn't possible to use anything other than Veritas cloud to back up to. I think today it's important to cover the three major cloud provider: GCP, Azure and AWS.

We've been familiar with this solution for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

It is definitely scalable. You just have to pay accordingly.

We have about 2,500 users among our clients.

All SaaS backup should be easy. I think it's easy. You just have to pay depending on how many customers you want to protect and Veritas proposes all the facilities to protect. It takes about half a day to deploy.

We require about two people for deployment and maintenance.

I am an integrator. I'm in pre-sales, so it's not really me that deploys the solution. It is more consultants that do that, but I think it's really easy and I could deploy the solution if needed.

I don't remember exactly what the cost is but SaaS Backup isn't the most expensive solution.

I evaluated Rubrik SaaS, NetApp SaaS Backup, and NetView.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it covers the total scope of Office 365. That's why I recommend this solution. Competitors don't address the total scope.

I would rate this solution as seven out of ten. It is not a full ten, because it's important to simplify the user experience and reduce the policies, or the number of clicks you need to do to customize your policy. Rubrik is better at that point.

it_user795117 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Of Operations at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and scalable, with very good technical support
  • "The solution's hardware appliance is very scalable and very useful."
  • "The implementation could be improved. The server setup is very easy, but some specific client implementation, for example, Oracle or SQL servers, are a little bit complicated. they should offer a bit more assistance with the setup for these particular items."

What is most valuable?

The application is the most useful aspect of the solution.

What needs improvement?

The implementation could be improved. The server setup is very easy, but some specific client implementation, for example, Oracle or SQL servers, are a little bit complicated. they should offer a bit more assistance with the setup for these particular items.

The solution is very stable.

The solution's hardware appliance is very scalable and very useful.

Technical support is fine. In Turkey, we're able to get support quite easily.

The initial setup is complex; it's not simple.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Veritas partner. We use the private cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'd rate it higher, but I do believe it could offer better implementation guides.

Operations Manager at Agility
A stable solution with good duplication capabilities and fair pricing

What is most valuable?

The duplication is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The backup reports and the dashboard need improvement.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had any problems over the past five years of use.

Scalability is fine. We keep adding different users for the backup, and we haven't run into problems doing so.

The initial setup was very simple. There was no complexity involved in the implementation.

We handled implementation with local vendor support.

The pricing of the solution is okay.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model of the solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd recommend the solution.

Ashraf Ali - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Consultant at global brands
Easy to use and is easy to scale
  • "What I like most about Veritas SaaS Backup is that it is easy to work on."
  • "The technical team wasn't very helpful."

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Veritas SaaS Backup is that it is easy to work on. It also has compatible features.

What needs improvement?

I would like better pricing and better support. The program is quite expensive and I am not impressed by their technical support. Backup in the cloud can also be easier.

I've been using Veritas SaaS Backup for three years now.

The solution is very stable. Especially for a small or medium-sized company.

It is easy to scale with this program.

It is hard to train someone on this program and the technical team wasn't very helpful. The customer service can be improved.

The initial setup was really straightforward. This software is one of the easiest I've ever had to set up.

What other advice do I have?

Because we are partners, I push sales for this solution as a backup system. I do recommend this solution to small or medium-sized companies, though. In the next version, I would like to see easier backup in the cloud. I would rate this an eight out of ten. The solution is not perfect, but it is good.

Download our free SaaS Backup Report and find out what your peers are saying about Veritas, Amazon, Metallic, and more!
Updated: May 2022