IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

UrbanCode Deploy OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

UrbanCode Deploy is #4 ranked solution in top Release Automation tools. PeerSpot users give UrbanCode Deploy an average rating of 8 out of 10. UrbanCode Deploy is most commonly compared to Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform: UrbanCode Deploy vs Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is UrbanCode Deploy?

IBM UrbanCode Deploy orchestrates and automates the deployment of applications, middleware configuration, and database changes into development, test, and production environments—local, dedicated or shared cloud environments—accelerating time to market and reducing cost by shrinking manual efforts from days to minutes with automation, while reducing risk by cutting deployment errors by up to 90 percent.

UrbanCode Deploy was previously known as uDeploy.

Download the Release Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

UrbanCode Deploy Customers

As policy, IBM does not release customer names on non-IBM web sites.  However, public DevOps and UrbanCode Deploy case studies can be found here. IBM's UrbanCode Deploy customers span Small-Medium Businesses to Fortune 500 companies across all industries worldwide.

UrbanCode Deploy Video

UrbanCode Deploy Pricing Advice

What users are saying about UrbanCode Deploy pricing:
  • "The cost of the solution is high but it offers great ROI."
  • "Considering COVID-19, the price is too high."
  • UrbanCode Deploy Reviews

Engineering Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Stable solution which automates the CI/CD pipeline, but its scalability needs some improvement
    • "Stable solution that's good for automating the CI/CD pipeline: from development to production."
    • "The scalability of this application needs improvement. Changes and variations in the application become bottlenecks as they need to be more seamless and comfortable."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our CI/CD pipeline across all levels: from development to production.

What needs improvement?

A lot of times, the constant changes that happen in the application, the skillsets required, etc., become bottlenecks, and we have to constantly depend on teams. Any new variations that happen in the application, getting the whole pipeline to be built again, or changes to be done in the uDeploy code: All these become complicated and they take time. UrbanCode Deploy could be improved so all these processes are more comfortable, seamless, and rapid.

We were also trying to do an orchestration, and do a POC around how it could be leveraged for flexibility of BCT, switchovers, etc., a similar functionality as HBO, and I would love to see this single suite support that in the next release. I'm  really keen on exploring that.

My organization has been using UrbanCode Deploy for the last four to five years. I'm a consumer for it because all the applications which go on the pipeline for deployment go through UrbanCode Deploy.

We didn't have any challenges with UrbanCode Deploy, so it's good. It's stable.

Our organization has also tried other CI/CD tools. There are areas where this tool has been lacking, which is why alternatives are being looked into. From a scalability point of view, I'm rating it a six out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

UrbanCode Deploy is used as a part of the enterprise solutions that I work on, while Process Orchestration is what I work on in context to IBM, BBM, and Camunda products.

I'm not from the support team or the team who's handling this application, so I would not know about the deployment and whether it's easy or complicated to set up.

As I belong in a big enterprise, the volume of users is huge, and I don't even know people beyond my department. Thousands of people are using UrbanCode Deploy in our organization. Predominantly all the development teams are using it as consumers for their CI/CD pipeline.

I'm giving a score of seven out of ten for UrbanCode Deploy.

Software Engineering Director at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Versatile solution with the powerful functionality to automate the execution of deployments
    • "The most valuable functionality is the ability to define the deployment process, schedule the deployment and automatically execute the deployments to different environments."
    • "The technical support of the solution could definitely be improved as PMRs take long to resolve."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for deployment automation.

What is most valuable?

We also have integrations with our custom tools which are in UrbanCode Deploy. We don't use the UrbanCode Designer, which is part of the product, but this is mainly because of our conservative approach to security.

What needs improvement?

The technical support of the solution could definitely be improved as PMRs take a long to resolve. The cost of the solution is high.

It would be good to have the support of public cloud services like Azure.

My team has also had some concerns around security when using this solution.

I have used this solution for five years.

This is a robust and stable solution.

The setup was quite easy. We are still in the process of rolling out the solution to the entire organization. We are still using Automic for infrastructure configuration management. We offer our development teams multiple options including UCD and Jenkins however, UrbanClode Deploy is our main choice.

Our biggest ROI is increased productivity which we experienced within the first year.

This solution has offered us an ROI as we have combined it with the IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management tools. Although the price is high, it is a great quality product.

What other advice do I have?

Trial and error is the best way to determine if this solution meets specific needs. This is a good solution for enterprise-level deployment automation. However, it may not be the best solution if one is only looking for a simple solution for deployment automation.

We are currently comparing this solution with other options in the market such as Azure pipelines or the GitHub actions.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Release Automation
    April 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Digital.ai, Broadcom and others in Release Automation. Updated: April 2022.
    596,970 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Professional Services Leader at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Automates application deployment through your environments
    • "The stability is good. I haven't experienced any issues."
    • "I would like to see more reporting for container architecture."

What is our primary use case?

We use UrbanCode Deploy for deploying containers and Kubernetes.

Within our organization, there are roughly 20 people using this solution.

What is most valuable?

It helps us orchestrate enterprise applications that need to be coordinated.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more reporting for container architecture.

I have been using this solution for five years.

The stability is good. I haven't experienced any issues.

If you really want to scale up, it's going to get a little complicated. You'll have to do some configurations to make it work. High scalability is a little complex with UrbanCode Deploy.

Overall, the scalability is good, but it's complex.

IBM recently sold the solution to HQL. Today, communication is not as fast as it was with IBM.

Currently, the support right now is HQL, but through the IBM systems.

Deployment times vary. It took us between five to six hours.

Considering COVID-19, the price is too high.

What other advice do I have?

If you are deploying independent components that are not involved in an enterprise scenario, then maybe this solution could work; however, if you have a complex scenario with multiple components and multiple complications, then it's better to choose a more powerful solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.

Download our free Release Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Digital.ai, Broadcom, and more!
    Updated: April 2022