IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Snyk OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Snyk is #1 ranked solution in Container Security Solutions, #1 ranked solution in top Software Composition Analysis (SCA) tools, and #3 ranked solution in application security tools. PeerSpot users give Snyk an average rating of 8 out of 10. Snyk is most commonly compared to SonarQube: Snyk vs SonarQube. Snyk is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
Snyk Buyer's Guide

Download the Snyk Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Snyk?

Snyk is a user-friendly security solution that enables users to safely develop and use open source code. Users can create automatic scans that allow them to keep a close eye on their code and prevent bad actors from exploiting vulnerabilities. This enables users to find and remove vulnerabilities soon after they appear.

Benefits of Snyk

Some of the benefits of using Snyk include:

• Conserves resources: Snyk easily integrates with other security solutions and uses their security features to ensure that the work that users are doing is completely secure. These integrations allow them to protect themselves without pulling resources from their continued integration or continued delivery workflows. Resources can be conserved for areas of the greatest need.
  • Highly flexible: Snyk enables users to customize the system’s security automation features to meet their needs. Users can guarantee that the automation performs the functions that are most essential for their current project. Additionally, users are able to maintain platform governance consistency across their system.
  • Keeps users ahead of emerging threats. Snyk employs a database of threats that help it detect and keep track of potential issues. This database is constantly being updated to reflect the changes that take place in the realm of cybersecurity. It also uses machine learning. Users are prepared to deal with new issues as they arise.
  • Automatically scans projects for threats. Snyk’s command-line interface enables users to schedule the solution to run automatic scans of their projects. Time and manpower can be conserved for the areas of greatest need without sacrificing security.

Reviews from Real Users

Snyk is a security platform for developers that stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its ability to integrate with other security solutions and important insights that it can enable users to discover. Snyk enables users to combine its already existing security features with those of other solutions to create far more robust and flexible layers of security than what it can supply on its own. It gives users the ability to dig into the security issues that they may experience. Users are given a clear view of the root causes of these problems. This equips them to address the problem and prevent similar issues in the future.

Cameron G., a security software engineer at a tech company, writes, “The most valuable features are their GitLab and JIRA integrations.The GitLab integration lets us pull projects in pretty easily, so that it's pretty minimal for developers to get it set up. Using the JIRA integration, it's also pretty easy to get the information that is generated, as a result of that GitLab integration, back to our teams in a non-intrusive way and in a workflow that we are already using. Snyk is something of a bridge that we use; we get our projects into it and then get the information out of it. Those two integrations are crucial for us to be able to do that pretty simply.”

Sean M., the chief information security officer of a technology vendor, writes, "From the software composition analysis perspective, it first makes sure that we understand what is happening from a third-party perspective for the particular product that we use. This is very difficult when you are building software and incorporating dependencies from other libraries, because those dependencies have dependencies and that chain of dependencies can go pretty deep. There could be a vulnerability in something that is seven layers deep, and it would be very difficult to understand that is even affecting us. Therefore, Snyk provides fantastic visibility to know, "Yes, we have a problem. Here is where it ultimately comes from." It may not be with what we're incorporating, but something much deeper than that."

Snyk Customers

StartApp, Segment, Skyscanner, DigitalOcean, Comic Relief

Snyk Video

Snyk Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Snyk pricing:
  • "It's good value. That's the primary thing. It's not cheap-cheap, but it's good value."
  • "With Snyk, you get what you pay for. It is not a cheap solution, but you get a comprehensiveness and level of coverage that is very good. The dollars in the security budget only go so far. If I can maximize my value and be able to have some funds left over for other initiatives, I want to do that. That is what drives me to continue to say, "What's out there in the market? Snyk's expensive, but it's good. Is there something as good, but more affordable?" Ultimately, I find we could go cheaper, but we would lose the completeness of vision or scope. I am not willing to do that because Snyk does provide a pretty important benefit for us."
  • "Snyk is a premium-priced product, so it's kind of expensive. The big con that I find frustrating is when a company charges extra for single sign-on (SSO) into their SaaS app. Snyk is one of the few that I'm willing to pay that add-on charge, but generally I disqualify products that charge an extra fee to do integrated authentication to our identity provider, like Okta or some other SSO. That is a big negative. We had to pay extra for that. That little annoyance aside, it is expensive. You get a lot out of it, but you're paying for that premium."
  • "The price is good. Snyk had a good price compared to the competition, who had higher pricing than them. Also, their licensing and billing are clear."
  • "Their licensing model is fairly robust and scalable for our needs. I believe we have reached a reasonable agreement on the licensing to enable hundreds of developers to participate in this product offering. The solution is very tailored towards developers and its licensing model works well for us."
  • Snyk Reviews

Nicholas Secrier - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Helps Avoid The Pain And The Cost Of Trying To Retrofit Security in your Code.
    • "The dependency checks of the libraries are very valuable, but the licensing part is also very important because, with open source components, licensing can be all over the place. Our project is not an open source project, but we do use quite a lot of open source components and we want to make sure that we don't have surprises in there."
    • "Generating reports and visibility through reports are definitely things they can do better."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to identify security weaknesses and vulnerabilities by performing dependency checks of the source code and Docker images used in our code. We also use it for open-source licensing compliance review. We need to keep an eye on what licenses are attached to the libraries or components that we have in use to ensure we don't have surprises in there. We are using the standard plan, but we have the container scanning module as well in a hybrid deployment. The cloud solution is used for integration with the source code repository which, in our case, is GitHub. You can add whatever repository you want to be inspected by Snyk and it will identify and recommend solutions for your the identified issues. We are also using it as part of our CI/CD pipelines, in our case it is integrated with Jenkins.

How has it helped my organization?

As the developers work they can run the checks and they can validate if their work meets our expectation or not. Then they can address the potential issues during development, rather than going through the whole process and then being pushed back and told, "Hey, you've got issues in here. This is an old component that is no longer supported," or "It's something that has a vulnerability." From that point of view, it's very valuable. I'm not a developer, I'm an information security officer, but the false positive rate seems to be pretty good. Generally, when it picks up something, it's there. Snyk is not an antivirus. When it highlights something then there is a problem. Sometimes you can fix it, sometimes you cannot fix it. The good thing is that at least you are aware that there is a potential issue. If it's something serious, you can try to validate, but you can usually validate the issue against other databases by looking at a CVV. You've got enough information to identify if this is a real problem or not. In the vast majority of the cases, if you look at dependency, it's pretty straightforward. It matches the database that is being picked up, and you can have a look at more details. Generally, security tools don't necessarily end up in increased productivity. What Snyk prevents is the wasting of time or productivity. If you're trying to go back and fix issues that are caused by potential vulnerabilities discovered by a pen test, trying to retrofit security can be quite painful. From that point of view, you may go a little bit slower because it's an extra step, but at the same time, you save time on the overall process and you're saving exposing the company to risks. As a tool, Snyk allows us to identify areas where we need to improve, and this could be at the vulnerability level if there is a library that has a vulnerability. It also helps us with the licensing compliance, identifying if the new components that have been added to the code meet our company's open source compliance. In those ways it helps us as a company. The overall impact of Snyk depends on the way you use it. To me, it's the users, not Snyk, doing something. We are a new company. We started roughly three years ago. But we knew security is a very important factor. We work with some very large companies out there. Privacy and security of their data is very important. Security was something that we knew we had to put in place from the beginning, as a way of demonstrating that we take things seriously. And we also satisfy the needs of our investors and clients when it comes to trusting us as a provider.

What is most valuable?

The dependency checks of the libraries are very valuable, but the licensing part is also very important because, with open source components, licensing can be all over the place. Our project is not an open source project, but we do use quite a lot of open source components and we want to make sure that we don't have surprises in there. That's something that we pay attention to. The ease of use for developers is quite straightforward. They've got good documentation. It depends on the language that you use for development, but for what we have — Java, JavaScript, Python — it seems to be pretty straightforward. It also has good integration with CI/CD pipelines. In the past we had it integrated with Concourse and now it's running on Jenkins, so it seems to be quite versatile.

What needs improvement?

They've recently launched their open source compliance. That's an area that is definitely of interest. The better the capability in that, the better it will be for everyone. There may be room to improve the level of information provided to the developers so they understand exactly why using, say, a GPL license is a potential issue for a company that is not intending to publish its code. There is potential for improvement in expanding the languages they cover and in integrating with other solutions. SonarQube is something that I'm quite interested in, something that I want to bring into play. I know that Snyk integrates with it, but I don't know how well it integrates. I will have to see. Generating reports and visibility through reports are definitely things they can do better.
    Snyk
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Snyk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've been using Snyk for nearly two years.

Generally, the stability of Snyk is fine. From time to time the reporting bits, when you look at them on the cloud, can be a little bit sluggish when you start having quite a bit of information in there. But there have been no major outages when we couldn't use it. I don't know if the sluggishness is internet-related or it's something within Snyk. They are based in the United States and I don't know if the traffic across the pond is causing any of these issues. It's not something that you constantly use all the time. When you want to commit something, it runs on a schedule. When you put something through the pipeline, it runs. But again, there have been no outages or issues with the stability.

We have had no issues with scalability. We haven't needed to do anything special to address that. So far, we have had no problems. Usage, in our case, will depend on the number of developers that we have. So unless Snyk develops additional features, something more we can use, and we expand because of those capabilities, I don't see a massive increase in our user base. It's a development-orientated solution with a small number of people, from management, who generally keep an eye on the reports, from a compliance point of view. It all depends on our company. The only impact that will come from Snyk is if it comes out with new features that we would like to implement.

We had some chats with technical support at the beginning. They seemed to be pretty responsive. Generally, you communicate with them on a support chat-group. If you need more, you can have Zoom sessions. But we only speak with them now if one of the devs finds something that doesn't look right. We haven't spoken to them in a long time.

Snyk replaced some potential candidates. We had some people looking at maybe using CoreOS Clair and there were some discussions about what we could use to scan our repository. But we didn't have anything officially in place. In fact, Snyk was one of the first solutions that I put in place as a paid solution for the security of our code. Security is something that is quite important for us. We take security seriously and it's something that we baked in from the early stages. We try to shift it as far left as possible. Snyk is a result of our organization's approach towards security, rather than vice-versa. It's playing its role alongside our security needs.

In our organization, I ask that things be done and people are doing them, so I wasn't directly involved in the setup. But the installation seemed to be quite straightforward. I don't get pushback from the dev community. My background is more infrastructure, I'm not a developer, so I can't comment how easy it is to bring everything together. But when I worked with my devs, when we migrated from Concourse to Jenkins, it wasn't such a huge undertaking and it didn't cause us too many headaches. In terms of developer adoption, they have to use it because we asked them to use it. And once it's part of the pipeline; everything that they push through the pipeline goes through Snyk. It was a company decision to go that way. The initial rollout took about one week. Most of the stuff was already in place. We just migrated from one pipeline provider to another. It was quite straightforward. We have a bit of a hybrid approach. Some of it was in the cloud, and we haven't touched that. The integration of the container bit, the CLI integration is done on our cloud and it's something we maintain. We tried to use Snyk's recommendations. It has an API that you can call use to run some scans, but their full-feature recommended solution is to use the CLI, using your own instance of Snyk. So we have a container that's running Snyk, and whenever we run the scans we just call on that. The deployment involved one or two people internally. When it was just GitHub, it was me and one developer. And when it came to infrastructure, it was me with an infra guy. It depends on the level of expertise that you have in-house and how comfortable people are with similar solutions. At the end of the day, to roll up a container image and pull that into your pipeline is quite straightforward. It's not difficult. We don't do that much maintenance on Snyk. It's integrated. It's running in the background. We only touch it when we need to touch it. It's not like we need dedicated resources for that. Between 50 and 70 people are using Snyk at a given time in our organization. Most of them are developers. We might have some QAs who look at something.

It hits ROI for us very well in a couple of areas that we want to address: to ensure that we don't have surprises when it comes to vulnerabilities on our dependencies — libraries and images. And from a compliance point of view, we don't want to be in a situation where we're forced to publish code because someone has decided to use libraries that would force us to either publish everything under GPL or put us in a situation where licenses are not compatible and we would have to redo part of the code. The ROI is one of those things that is difficult to quantify. It's not something where you can say how much money you have saved. But looking at overall cost versus the benefit, it's worth the money. Time-to-value is a difficult topic because the way that I see it, Snyk is a preventative measure. It's similar to insurance. How much money are you prepared to spend to address a potential risk? By having a solution like Snyk in place, you prevent your company from being an easy target and being exposed. It's not something you can easily quantify, but Snyk falls under the cost of doing business. You want to have something in there because the overall cost and the overall problems will be a lot greater.

Pricing and licensing of Snyk is okay. Their model is based on the number of committers of your source code, which can be a little bit false at times. It can be false because we have some QAs and some BAs, for example, who sometimes go in and add comments. They're not writing code, but they're flagged as committers of the code. That can cause some misunderstanding but we discussed this Snyk and explained the situation. They were quite okay with that. So although the number of people they see in Snyk is slightly higher, they're not holding us with our backs to the wall, saying, "Hey, you're over your license." The only cost is whatever you run on your cloud. If you deploy the CLI integration and you run Snyk you need to take into account the cost, but it's not huge.

There are a number of other solutions out there that you can use. We looked at Black Duck from Synopsys and CoreOS Clair for containers. I had a bit of a look at WhiteSource. Because we're using open source software, a lot of our devs like the open source ethos. They had different suggestions so we looked at a number of potential use case scenarios. These days, for example, GitHub also allows you to scan your reports for dependencies and vulnerabilities. AWS also has the ability to scan your base images. You can validate different things at different stages. But the main one for moving the security to the left is Snyk. In terms of the comprehensiveness and accuracy of Snyk's vulnerability database, I looked at that in the past. When I picked Snyk as a solution and was looking at Black Duck and other companies, I knew Snyk had its own database and was doing quite a lot of research in that area. To me it seems to be quite good compared to other solutions, like GitHub or Amazon. I get more out of Snyk. Snyk picks up more, highlights more, than other solutions I've seen. Both Black Duck and WhiteSource are more established companies but they're probably more expensive. I haven't looked at the overall costs, but as you throw more into them they tend to be more expensive. Snyk meets our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

If your company develops software, and if you are an open source consumer, you need to have something in place. Do your research and find the best solution. For us, Snyk worked. I am involved in a security working group with my counterparts at our investors. We discussed what we're doing and what we are using and I discussed Snyk there. I discussed it with a couple of companies in particular and shared ideas and I recommended that they have a look at Snyk. Snyk is open source. You can take it for a ride and see if you like it. Once you're happy with it, you can move forward. The biggest lesson I've learned from using Snyk is that it brings in a little bit of discipline in terms of what people can and cannot use. It also highlights the importance of security. It also adds a little bit of structure by surfacing potential issues. That's one of the most important factors. And having something like Snyk means you can validate and you can demonstrate, when meeting your clients and your investors, that you are meeting security needs and concerns. In terms of the time it takes for developers to find fixed vulnerabilities, it depends on the type of issue. In some cases, for example, if there is an upgrade and there is a new version of the library, Snyk does make recommendations. If Snyk can do something for you it will do it. It can automatically generate a pull request so you can do a library upgrade. If there is something quite straightforward regarding licensing, they'll highlight that for you. But other issues are a little bit more complex. If it's a container image, for example, and there's no immediate image upgrade, maybe you want to do something like upgrade a library within the image. Some things are quite straightforward, and if Snyk can, it recommends it, and it's pretty easy, pretty straightforward. For other situations it will say you can manually upgrade this, but you'll have to do that process on your own. Snyk's actionable advice when it comes to container vulnerabilities is aligned with the rest of the solution. We were one of the early users of containers. We have had Snyk in place for nearly two years, so when we started, containers were something very new for them. It's definitely better than other solutions which are free. Can it be better? Yes. As always, things can always be improved, but it's more or less on par with what we have on the regular dependency checks that we have on normal libraries as part of the source code. If you look purely at the source code, we can do it with a SaaS application. You link your GitHub or your code repository with Snyk and, as you commit code, Snyk scans and reports. For containers, we tend to use the integration part of the CI/CD pipeline as well. All the images are passed through and we're using CLI commands to run this. This requires a little bit of extra setup, but once you put it in place it tends to be quite straightforward and doesn't require any additional work. As for allowing developers to own security for the applications and the containers they run in in the cloud, to be honest with you, in a lot of cases, their main focus is on developing the app. The scanning is more on the infra side. When it comes to containers and streamlining the application installation, that usually falls on the infra. They stay on top of that task. We have it integrated and we keep an eye out in case something has been plugged up. I just ask them to make sure it's addressed as soon as possible. We're using Qualys to do external scans and external assessments. We also do penetration testing. But at the end of the day, you have to look at what you want from a tool. Maybe there are other solutions out there that claim to do a lot more. I'm sure that there are other vendors that can potentially give you a more integrated and better view, but they come with additional costs and additional complications. It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to achieve that. For us, the purpose of Snyk was to look at the vulnerabilities in the code or Docker container images, and to address the licensing aspect.  Some companies go with individual solutions for every single part. For example, they use Clair to scan just the containers and something else to scan just the code. They have linting tools and other things. We're not just using Snyk. For example, we also have linting tools for code quality. This is not something that Snyk is doing. We're trying to use what is suitable for us.
    Cameron Gagnon - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Software Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Gives us a uniform way to access vulnerability information across a wide range of projects, teams, and structures
    • "The most valuable features are their GitLab and JIRA integrations. The GitLab integration lets us pull projects in pretty easily, so that it's pretty minimal for developers to get it set up. Using the JIRA integration, it's also pretty easy to get the information that is generated, as a result of that GitLab integration, back to our teams in a non-intrusive way and in a workflow that we are already using."
    • "Because Snyk has so many integrations and so many things it can do, it's hard to really understand all of them and to get that information to each team that needs it... If there were more self-service, perhaps tutorials or overviews for new teams or developers, so that they could click through and see things themselves, that would help."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a pretty wide ranging tool to scan vulnerabilities, from our Docker images to Ruby, JavaScript, iOS, Android, and eventually even Kubernetes. We use those findings with the various integrations to integrate with our teams' workflows to better remediate the discoveries from Snyk.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us a uniform way to access the vulnerability information across a wide range of projects, teams, and structures. Once there were teams in Snyk, I was able to move people around if they wanted to see other projects or had questions about how other teams were doing things. Instead of having to tell a team, "Oh, you're using this language so you have to use this tool," or, "You're using this language so you have to do it this way or that way," all the reports are uniform, which makes viewing everything a lot easier than piecing things together.

Snyk reduces the amount of time it takes our guys to find problems. It's tough to estimate how much it has reduced the time because we didn't really have a process before to aggregate as much information on as wide a range of projects as we do now. We don't really have a great basis for comparison. But judging from the fact that we didn't do any of this before and teams were pretty blind about the health of their dependencies and versions, this has not only been a time saver, but the biggest win is enlightenment and ease of use to actually be able to get this information in the first place.

As far as the amount of time it takes to triage vulnerabilities and go through the upgrade process, it's definitely more streamlined, overall.

An example of the way it has affected the overall security of our applications is from during one of the first weeks that we rolled it out with one of our projects. We went from 15 vulnerabilities in it to four or five, and those four or five were un-upgradable and we were not affected by them. That means we were able to knock out any vulnerabilities in that project right away, which was a few quick wins for us, compared to who knows how long all of those had been in the project. We hadn't really known that until we turned Snyk onto the project and then we solved those within a week.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are their GitLab and JIRA integrations.

Using the JIRA integration, it's also pretty easy to get the information that is generated, as a result of that GitLab integration, back to our teams in a non-intrusive way and in a workflow that we are already using. Snyk is something of a bridge that we use; we get our projects into it and then get the information out of it. Those two integrations are crucial for us to be able to do that pretty simply.

The ease of use for developers, on a scale of one to 10, is about an eight. The main feature of the reporting on the vulnerabilities and the information that you get from that are really easy to go through and use and interact with, whether it's pushing it to JIRA or ignoring certain vulnerabilities if you're not at risk. There are a couple of parts that, once you get into the settings a little bit more, are a little confusing and tricky. That's why it's not a nine or a 10, but the main features are pretty well done and easy to use.

The solution's ability to help developers find and fix vulnerabilities is pretty fast. The scanning for all of our various code bases could probably be done in under five minutes. It gives pretty clear information to developers, right away, about what we are vulnerable to and what we will be vulnerable to. Even if a fix or a patch is not out yet for a certain vulnerability, it will still give us that information. It also tells us what versioning, specifically, we need to upgrade to, which helps us determine the best upgrade path for ourselves, because sometimes our projects that are a little bit restricted as far as versioning goes.

What needs improvement?

Because Snyk has so many integrations and so many things it can do, it's hard to really understand all of them and to get that information to each team that needs it. Since I was the one who originally set up Snyk, I have been in charge of evangelizing all the features of it, but that's almost a full-time job, and that's not my entire job. I haven't been able to get all of that information out quite as well as it could be. If there were more self-service, perhaps tutorials or overviews for new teams or developers, so that they could click through and see things themselves, that would help.

There is so much in there already that it's easy to get a little bit lost, but thankfully they also have great documentation on pretty much all of the features and plugins, to understand them. So it can be up to the person, depending on how much of a self-starter they are, to see an integration and then go poke around and figure out how to get things working.

I have been using Snyk for about a year.

In terms of downtime there have been some road bumps with version upgrades and things, but otherwise it's pretty much a self-running service, and the day-to-day maintenance is pretty low.

The solution itself is really well done. We know that being on-prem is a little bit tougher because the roll-out cycle is a little slower. They're actively investigating ways around that, including having us beta their AWS Snyk on our AWS account. That would remedy our upgrade issues, where the upgrades are only happening about once a month, versus their SaaS offering, which has continuous updates.

Once we've upgraded, we've been fine, but the upgrade path itself has been a little bumpy. But they've got solutions that they're working on to meet customers halfway between that on-prem solution and the SaaS offering, which is definitely something that is nice to see. It's also good to see that they're working on what they know are some of the pain points in their product.

We haven't had any issues as far as scalability goes. That hasn't even actually crossed my mind, as far as worrying about any sort of limits that we might have. Maybe we'll get there one day, but at the moment that's something that seems somewhat far off. Understanding the way they built the product too, especially the on-prem, we would probably be able to scale things if we really needed to.

At the moment we have about 50 users in the tool itself, users who go in and look at results. But we have about another 100 or 150 who have their code actually scanned by Snyk, whether they know it or not, through our main application. Some of the GitLab applications have developers on the projects, but it could be that only their leads are in the Snyk tool at the moment.

Out of our total number of teams, about 60 to 70 percent are in Snyk at the moment. As time allows, and as the projects come up and the need arises, we plan to roll it out. There are some teams that don't have projects that would fall under Snyk's abilities at the moment, but there are still a couple of other teams that could definitely be added.

They've been willing to help at every step of the way. I've been able to work directly with the engineers who actually built the tool. It's not like I'm going through some customer support team first and then having to open a case and raise it up through levels of support. I have a clear channel to the developers who built these plugins and integrations and who know how they work. They also have other tools that they've created on the side, tools that they see a lot of customers creating themselves. It's been helpful to get that extra help across the board, for whatever needs we have.

We didn't have a direct previous solution. We did have a SAST tool that we had been using a lot across our main repositories. But we didn't have anything that would cover a lot of the other teams' languages and dependencies. This is the first big tool that we've introduced for scanning.

We went with Snyk because of the wide range of integrations and ease of use. Those were a couple of the big points, and the fact that they offered an on-prem solution.

Because we were doing the on-prem version, it was a little bit more complex than it could have been. I was also a little bit new to some of the technologies that were used to set it up, so I was learning as I went.

When we initially got it up and running, it took another developer about a week to do that, maybe less. Once he trialed things and we signed our contract, he turned it over to me and that took a day and a half.

Our initial goal, once we got Snyk up and running, was to get it scanning our main repository, but not to block developers on vulnerabilities that were found. We came up with a solution that only dependencies that the developer had changed or touched in their commit would be scanned. That allowed us to focus in on having each developer own their changes, instead of blocking everyone due to any sort of vulnerability that came up in the project. Those were our immediate goals, and since then we've been expanding on things.

As for developer adoption, we've been spreading it out to more and more teams. As each team has gotten familiar with it, they've gotten around to other teams by word of mouth, using certain features. Right now, we have six different teams, and each team has anywhere from one to four projects in Snyk. We've been seeing pretty steady growth too. As new projects come up they're put in there right away so that developers know, right off the bat, if they have any issues or vulnerabilities in those projects.

The biggest point of friction was when we initially announced that we were going to block developers on vulnerable dependencies. The understanding was that we were going to block everyone on any sort of dependency change that had a vulnerability. But our very narrow focus on each developer's changes, specifically, allowed us to scope that down to the single developer that would be responsible for those upgrades, so that we wouldn't introduce new vulnerabilities in the first place. That was the biggest point of concern but we were able to remedy it and had a good story for it right away.

Since then, people have come to me and said, "How can I get this into Snyk?" and we've been able to work with the various teams. People have gone from fearing a tool of this nature to being able to use it to strengthen the security posture of their projects.

Snyk helped us set it up, especially initially, and along the way too, as we've had questions.

Regarding time to value of the solution in our company, in our case we had to set up a couple of IP table rules that would allow Snyk to talk to the other infrastructure that we needed it to talk to. Once we had those things cleared up, getting the full use out of Snyk was super-quick, when it came to getting a project in there, scanning it, and getting the results back into something like JIRA for developers to more easily use going forward, and for monitoring their projects.

We used a couple of other tools, especially initially, to assess what we were going to go with. It seems that Snyk has not been deficient in any way in terms of the comprehensiveness and accuracy of the vulnerability database. It supports a wide range of languages as well. There's always information, it seems, on whatever language you would like, and our main ones are well supported. I don't feel that we're missing any vulnerability information there. I've never once thought, "Oh, I should go double-check this because Snyk might not have it." I haven't come across that situation.

What other advice do I have?

Focus initially on setting up a clear path for developers to integrate with the tool. Initially, most developers are not super excited about security tools and scanning in the first place; very few people are. So working on the developer adoption, and showing them what features are available and how that can directly benefit their projects, without their feeling like they have a lot of work to do, would be something that I would suggest for new teams.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using Snyk is that just when you think there are all the integrations offered in the world, there's another one. There was someone on our team that asked about an integration that they saw Snyk was offering, but it was only in their SaaS product at that time. The following month we got it in our product. They're coming out with new integrations all the time and improving the existing ones. Those are super helpful for meeting the wide range of needs across our many different teams here.

We have it running in our main repositories. We have Snyk continuously running there and scanning every commit that developers issue. We also allow developers to run the tool whenever they would like as well, on their other projects, or just to mess around with it, to get a better feel for it. We use things like TeamCity for our pipeline so we use a lot of Snyk's CLI scanning features to integrate with our tools, because some of our code bases have a little bit of a custom dependency setup. That means we have to do a couple of extra steps to get those to integrate smoothly.

Because of our custom workflows, there has been a little bit more manual work. Snyk has a lot of plugins, including a TeamCity plugin, that would be really nice to use out-of-the-box, but because of our more custom setup, we have had to do a little bit more manual work. The nice thing is that Snyk does allow us to still do that. It's not like we can only use exactly what they offer and that's it. Between their plugins and using the CLI, we're able to integrate in pretty much any environment we need.

I haven't gone through it to specifically look for false positives. Sometimes it will say there's a vulnerability and we turn out not to use that function or not to use that particular piece of that dependency.

Unfortunately, most of the containers we have scanned it against, and the ones that we use, are running an older operating system. Because the operating system is no longer actively supported, there are a lot of packages that need upgrades that we can't upgrade because we're blocked on the operating system upgrade itself. In that regard, we don't have too many actionable items from those scans. It does give us the information we need to understand how to prioritize the upgrade itself, versus upgrading the various vulnerabilities that came out of that scan.

When we have used it against some other containers, just to check as more of a one-off, it has come back with useful results. Recently there was one that had four results, and the team I was working with scanned it against multiple other tools as well, tools that they were looking at, and they all reported pretty similar things. That was good news to hear for Snyk, that we were right there and detecting everything correctly and had the same useful output.

Snyk's container security feature allows developers to own security for the applications and the containers they run in the cloud. We've been a little slow to get that fully integrated with all of our teams. We've mostly focused on our main application at the moment and I've had limited bandwidth to expand past that. But in general, both the container scanning as well as the other features of Snyk allow our teams to own their own security a little bit more, by the nature of the use of the tool and how easy it is to scan new projects or new container images. There's really nothing blocking our teams from discovering that on their own. I just haven't been able to get around to evangelizing all of the features of Snyk.

As for Snyk's lack of SAST and DAST versus the solution’s ease of use for developers, fortunately for us, we have other tools that cover those aspects and we've had those running for a while already, so we haven't really thought of those areas as lacking in Snyk. For us, it's really just been a tool that has been easy to use the whole time. If we were able to integrate more of the SAST portion especially, that would make the whole process a little bit more streamlined and potentially easier to work with. But at the moment, thankfully, we have a couple of workflows already set up for those various needs, things that really compliment each other well.

Snyk
    June 2022
    610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    VP of Engineering at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Scans our thousands of dependencies every time we build and rechecks them daily, making us aware of what's going on
    • "We're loving some of the Kubernetes integration as well. That's really quite cool. It's still in the early days of our use of it, but it looks really exciting. In the Kubernetes world, it's very good at reporting on the areas around the configuration of your platform, rather than the things that you've pulled in. There's some good advice there that allows you to prioritize whether something is important or just worrying. That's very helpful."
    • "There is always more work to do around managing the volume of information when you've got thousands of vulnerabilities. Trying to get those down to zero is virtually impossible, either through ignoring them all or through fixing them. That filtering or information management is always going to be something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is basically what Snyk sells itself as, which is for becoming aware of and then managing any vulnerabilities in third-party, open-source software that we pull into our product. We have a lot of dependencies across both the tools and the product services that we build, and Snyk allows us to be alerted to any vulnerabilities in those open-source libraries, to prioritize them, and then manage things.

We also use it to manage and get visibility into any vulnerabilities in our Docker containers and Kubernetes deployments. We have very good visibility of things that aren't ours that might be at risk and put our services at risk.

Snyk's service is cloud-based and we talk to that from our infrastructure in the cloud as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a business that sells services to other businesses. One of the things that we have to sell is trust. As a small company, we've had to go quite a long way to mature our development and security processes. We've been ISO 27001-certified for a while and we got that very early, compared to the life cycle of most businesses. But that's because when we're talking contracts with customers, when we're talking information security reviews with customers, it's really powerful to be able to say, "We have Snyk, we use it in this way." A lot of the questions just go away because people understand that that means we've got a powerful and comprehensive tool.

Certainly, from a finding-of-vulnerabilities perspective, it's extremely good. Our problem is scale. We have something like 7,000 dependencies in our code and we could go and check those ourselves, but that would be a huge waste of time. Snyk's ability to scan all of those every time we build, and keep a running status of them and recheck them daily, is extremely valuable for making us aware of what's going on. We've wired Snyk up into Slack and other things so that we get notifications of status, and that's useful.

It has reduced the amount of time it takes to find problems by orders of magnitude because it's scanning everything. Without the tool it would be horrific; we just couldn't do it. It takes seconds for a scan to run on each of our libraries and so that's an amazing performance improvement. Compared to having nothing, it's amazing.

In terms of developer productivity, because of the way that our development community works, they're pulling in third-party libraries. So they worry less about the choice of the third-party library, but it could inform them that there's a risk, and then they then have to take action. We probably spend more time securing our product, but get a more secure product, which is actually what we want.

Overall, knowing what the risks are, and being able to make considered judgments about those risks, means that we are much more comfortable that our product is secure. And when there are high-risk issues, we're able to take action very quickly. The time to resolution for anything serious that is discovered in downstream libraries is dramatically reduced, and that's really useful.

What is most valuable?

The core offering of reporting across multiple projects and being able to build that into our build-pipelines, so that we know very early on if we've got any issues with dependencies, is really useful.

We're loving some of the Kubernetes integration as well. That's really quite cool. It's still in the early days of our use of it, but it looks really exciting. In the Kubernetes world, it's very good at reporting on the areas around the configuration of your platform, rather than the things that you've pulled in. There's some good advice there that allows you to prioritize whether something is important or just worrying. That's very helpful.

In terms of actionable items, we've found that when you're taking a container that has been built from a standard operating system, it tends to be riddled with vulnerabilities. It's more akin to trying to persuade you to go for something simpler, whether that's a scratch or an Alpine container, which has less in it. It's more a nudge philosophy, rather than a specific, actionable item.

We have integrated Snyk into our software development environment. The way Snyk works is that, as you build the software in your pipelines, you can have a Snyk test run at that point, and it will tell you if there are newly-discovered vulnerabilities or if you've introduced vulnerabilities into your software. And you can have it block builds if you want it to. Our integrations were mostly a language-based decision. We have Snyk integrated with Python, JavaScript Node, and TouchScript code, among others, as well as Kubernetes. It's very powerful and gives us very good coverage on all of those languages. That's very positive indeed.

We've got 320-something projects — those are the different packages that use Snyk. It could generate 1,000 or 2,000 vulnerabilities, or possibly even more than that, most of which we can't do anything about, and most of which aren't in areas that are particularly sensitive to us. One of our focuses in using Snyk — and we've done this recently with some of the new services that they have offered — is to partition things. We have product code and we have support tools and test tools. By focusing on the product code as the most important, that allows us to scope down and look at the rest of the information less frequently, because it's less important, less vulnerable.

From a fixing-of-vulnerabilities perspective, often Snyk will recommend just upgrading a library version, and that's clearly very easy. Some of the patching tools are a little more complicated to use. We're a little bit more sensitive about letting SaaS tools poke around in our code base. We want a little bit more sensitivity there, but it works. It's really good to be able to focus our attention in the right way. That's the key thing.

Where something is fixable, it's really easy. The reduction in the amount of time it takes to fix something is in orders of magnitude. Where there isn't a patch already available, then it doesn't make a huge amount of difference because it's just alerting us to something. So where it wins, it's hugely dramatic. And where it doesn't allow us to take action easily, then to a certain extent, it's just telling you that there are "burglaries" in your area. What do you do then? Do you lock the windows or make sure the doors are locked? It doesn't make a huge difference there.

What needs improvement?

One of the things that I have mentioned in passing is because we have a security team and we have the development team. One of the things that would make the most difference to me is because those two teams work independently of each other. At the moment, if a developer ignores a problem, there's no way that our security team can easily review what has been ignored and make their own determination as to whether that's the right thing to do or not. That dual security team process is something that I'd love to see.

Other than that, there is always more work to do around managing the volume of information when you've got thousands of vulnerabilities. Trying to get those down to zero is virtually impossible, either through ignoring them all or through fixing them. That filtering or information management is always going to be something that can be improved.

We've been using Snyk for about 18 months.

The stability is pretty good.

We've had two challenges over the two years we've been using Snyk. One was the size of our projects in our JavaScript world. It meant that some of the tests would fail through memory issues. They've done a lot of work on improving that, and we have found some workarounds.

Sometimes, because we're talking out to Snyk services, our pipelines fail because the Snyk end isn't running successfully. That doesn't happen very often, so it hasn't been a major impact, but there have been one or two cases where things didn't work there.

The solution is scalable, absolutely. We plan to increase our usage of Snyk. As we grow, every developer will be put into it. Everything we build, all of our development, is using Snyk as the security scanning tool.

Snyk's technical support is very good. We haven't used it much. I've engaged with customer success and some of the product managers and they're really keen to get feedback on things.

We have had one or two things where we have talked to support and they have been very positive engagements.

We were small enough that we didn't have a previous solution.

The deployment was easy. When we were first evaluating Snyk, our automation engineer got a test account, installed it, and built it into our development pipelines without needing any support at all from Snyk. It was one of the more interesting sales engagements. They sent us an email, but we got it up and going and were using it in its trial mode without needing any assistance at all. That's clearly a demonstration of that ease of integration.

Working end-to-end, it took a couple of days for one person to get it wired up.

We followed the Snyk recommendations. We built a container that takes the Snyk service, and we run that in our build-pipeline. It dropped in very easily because of the way we were already operating.

In terms of developer adoption, we had to mandate it. So everybody uses it. It's built into all the pipelines. Generally, it's pretty good. The engineering team has 17 people and pretty much everybody is using Snyk as part of that. I don't think security is necessarily at the forefront of everybody's minds, and we're working on that. Snyk has helped.

We have a very complex infrastructure so the only challenge with Snyk is that it tells us a lot of information. They're pretty good at managing that, but you still have to take action. It's very good for knowing things, but it's also pretty good at being able to work out how to focus your attention.

That volume of information, where you get lots of things that are not important or not critical, tends to create a little bit of "blindness" to things. We're used to Snyk tests failing, alerting us to things that we're choosing to ignore at that moment because they're not fixable. That's one of the interesting challenges, to turn it into actionable information.

We had a lot of information security audits and we found that Snyk enabled sales because they weren't being blocked by InfoSec issues. That means that it probably paid for itself with the first customer deal that we were able to sign. We were able to show them that we had Snyk up and working really quickly, which was great.

In terms of other metrics, it's slightly harder to measure, because it's allowing us to prevent problems before they become issues. But from a commercial engagement point of view, it was well worth it, very quickly.

It's good value. That's the primary thing. It's not cheap-cheap, but it's good value. We managed to build a package of features that we were able to live with, in negotiation, and that worked really well. We did a mix and match. We got single sign-on and some of the other things.

The Kubernetes, the container service, versus the source-code service, for us, as a cloud deployment, was well worth it. The ability there has been really useful, but that's clearly an extra cost.

There are other tools that can perform some of the functions Snyk does. We did some analysis of competitors, including Black Duck Synopsys and Veracode, but Snyk was clearly the most hungry and keen to assist, as a business. There were a lot of incumbent competitors who didn't really want our business. It felt like Snyk clearly did want to do the right thing and are continuing to improve and mature their product really fast, which is brilliant.

Snyk, was at a good price, has very comprehensive coverage, and as a company they were much easier to engage with. It felt like some of the other competitors were very "big boys." With Snyk we had the software working before we'd even talked to a sales guy, whereas with other solutions, we weren't even allowed to see the software running in a video call or a screen-sharing session until we'd had the sales call. It was completely ridiculous.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is just try it. If you've got a modern development pipeline, it's really easy to wire up, if you've got somebody with the right skills to do that. We found with a development community, it's really easy to build these things. Get on with it and try it. It's really easy to trial and see what it's telling you about. That's one of the great upsides of that model: Play with it, convince yourself it's worth it, and then talk to them about buying it.

It's hard to judge Snyk's vulnerability database in terms of comprehensiveness and accuracy. It clearly is telling us a lot of information. I have no reason to doubt that it is very good, but I can't categorically back that up with my own empirical evidence. But I trust them.

I don't get the sense there are many false positives from Snyk, and that's a very positive thing. When it tells us something, it's almost certainly a real issue, or at least that a real issue has been found somewhere in the open-source world.

What is always harder to manage is to know what to do if there is no resolution. If somebody has found a problem, but there is no fix, then we have a much more interesting challenge around evaluation of whether we should do something. Do we remove that library? Do we try and fix it ourselves, or do we just wait? That process is the more complicated one. It's less of a false positive issue and more an issue of a real finding that you can't do anything about easily. That can sometimes leave you ignoring things simply because there's no easy action to take, and that can be slightly dangerous.

The solution allows our developers to own security for the applications and the containers they run in the cloud, although that's still something we're working on. It's always a challenge to get security to be something that is owned by developers. The DevOps world puts a lot of responsibility on developers and we're still working to help them know; to have better processes and understand what they need to be doing. We still have a security oversight function who is trying to keep an eye on things. We're still maturing ourselves, as a team, into DevSecOps.

As for Snyk's lack of SAST and DAST, that's just another one of the tools in the toolkit. We do a lot of our own security scanning for application-level or platform-level attacks. We have pen tests. So the static application is not something that we've seen as particularly important, at this point.

Snyk is an eight out of 10. It's not perfect. There are little things that could clearly be improved. They're working on it as a company. They're really engaged. But the base offering is really good. We could also use it better than we are at the moment, but it's well worth it. It's brilliant.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using this solution is that there is a big gap between thinking your software is safe and knowing what the risks are. Information is power. You don't have to take action, but at least you are informed and can make a considered judgment if you take it seriously. That is what Snyk really provides.

The ethos of Snyk as a company is really positive. They're keen to engage with customers and do something in a slightly different way, and that younger, hungrier, more engaged supplier is really nice to work with. They're very positive, which is good.

Sean McElroy - PeerSpot reviewer
    CISO at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Provides fantastic visibility into vulnerabilities and where they come from
    • "From the software composition analysis perspective, it first makes sure that we understand what is happening from a third-party perspective for the particular product that we use. This is very difficult when you are building software and incorporating dependencies from other libraries, because those dependencies have dependencies and that chain of dependencies can go pretty deep. There could be a vulnerability in something that is seven layers deep, and it would be very difficult to understand that is even affecting us. Therefore, Snyk provides fantastic visibility to know, "Yes, we have a problem. Here is where it ultimately comes from." It may not be with what we're incorporating, but something much deeper than that."
    • "It lists projects. So, if you have a number of microservices in an enterprise, then you could have pages of findings. Developers will then spend zero time going through the pages of reports to figure out, "Is there something I need to fix?" While it may make sense to list all the projects and issues in these very long lists for completeness, Snyk could do a better job of bubbling up and grouping items, e.g., a higher level dashboard that draws attention to things that are new, the highest priority things, or things trending in the wrong direction. That would make it a lot easier. They don't quite have that yet in container security."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to do software composition analysis. It analyzes the third-party libraries that we bring into our own code. It keeps up if there is a vulnerability in something that we've incorporated, then tells us if that has happened. We can then track that and take appropriate action, like updating that library or putting a patch in place to mitigate it.

They have also added some additional products that we use: One of which is container security. That product is one that analyzes our microservices containers and provides them with a security assessment, so we are essentially following best practices.

How has it helped my organization?

The second thing that is critical in some cases, and Snyk provides as a value, is their guidance. Somewhere along the chain it figures the vulnerabilities out, then Snyk provides an update. So, what you need to do is go update to the latest version of that library, which is easy. However, sometimes it's not that easy, then Snyk has great guidance where you could go to manually patch it yourself, and they've made that a pretty seamless process. You can run a command with this new tooling, and it will go fix the underlying vulnerability for you. That is unusual. I have not seen that in other products.

It has improved the overall security of our applications by removing vulnerabilities and things that we are incorporating into our product. It ultimately identifies vulnerabilities in our product as well. It helps us when we do other types of testing of our applications, as we're not finding issues by something we had incorporated. Therefore, it reduces the vulnerabilities in our application.

What is most valuable?

For a developer, the ease of use is probably an eight out of 10. It is pretty easy to use. There is some documentation to familiarize themselves with the solution, because there are definitely steps that they have to take and understand. However, they are not hard and documented pretty well.

We have integrated Snyk into our SDE. We have a CI/CD pipeline that builds software, so it's part of that process that we will automatically run. We use Jenkins as our pipeline build tool, and that's what we have integrated. It is pretty straightforward. Snyk has a plugin that works out-of-the-box with Jenkins which makes it very easy to install.

Snyk's vulnerability database is excellent, in terms of comprehensiveness and accuracy. I would rate it a nine or 10 (out of 10). They have a proprietary database that is very useful. They are also very open to adding additional packages that we use, which might be not widely used across their customer base.

What needs improvement?

Snyk's ability to help developers find and fix vulnerabilities quickly is pretty good. From a one to 10, it is probably a six or seven. The reason is because they make it very clear how to take the steps, but it's not necessarily in front of the developers. For instance, my role here is security, so I go and look at it all the time to see what is happening. The developer is checking code, then their analysis runs in the pipeline and they have moved on. Therefore, the developers don't necessarily get real-time feedback and take action until someone else reviews it, like me, to know if there is a problem that they need to go address.

Snyk does a good job finding applications, but that is not in front of the developers. We are still spending time to make it a priority for them. So, it's not really saving time, e.g., the developers are catching something before it goes into Snyk's pipeline.

A criticism I would have of the product is it's very hierarchical. I would rate the container security feature as a seven or eight (out of 10). It lists projects. So, if you have a number of microservices in an enterprise, then you could have pages of findings. Developers will then spend zero time going through the pages of reports to figure out, "Is there something I need to fix?" While it may make sense to list all the projects and issues in these very long lists for completeness, Snyk could do a better job of bubbling up and grouping items, e.g., a higher level dashboard that draws attention to things that are new, the highest priority things, or things trending in the wrong direction. That would make it a lot easier. They don't quite have that yet in container security.

One area that I would love to see more coverage of is .NET. We primarily use JavaScript and TypeScript, and Snyk does a great job with those. One of the things that we are doing as a microservices developer is we want to be able to develop in any language that our developers want, which is a unique problem for a tool like this because they specialize. As we grow, we see interest in Python, and while Snyk has some Python coverage that is pretty good, it is not as mature. For other languages, while it's present, it is also not very mature yet. This is an area for improvement because there was a very straightforward way that they integrated everything for Node.js. However, as other languages like Rust and .NET gain popularity, we may just have one very critical service in 200 that uses something else, and I would like to see this same level of attestation across them.

Since about 2016.

The stability is very good. We have not run into issues that have been large-scale outages. It is not a real-time solution. So, even if we had an outage of a day, it wouldn't really affect the way we operate. It is an asynchronous thing behind the scenes.

It requires about 200 hours a year of time to maintain it. By maintain it, I mean just go in, use the reports, validate them, and kind of manage them. There is a resource cost to us to operationalize it, but it's about 200 hours.

It is very capable at what it does. It has a pretty good completeness of vision and its execution is good.

There are certain tools which Snyk has that developers can use. Those have a very low level of adoption. It was adopted into our pipeline, so we get things there and report them back to development. However, development largely has not adopted it themselves. We have push the findings to them.

Most of the users are a mix between security and operational folks as well as some development managers. Unfortunately, the developers themselves don't necessarily adopt Snyk on their own. Therefore, it's really more those who are running the pipeline, like our operations team, my security team, and the managers who are receiving the reports if there's something in Snyk or there is actually an issue.

We are using all the products they provide today. We use it for everything that we develop, so I don't know that there is a whole lot more that we can use unless they provide a further offering.

Snyk's technical support is middle of the road. I would rate it a six (out of 10). They are friendly and try to be helpful. Some of the times that I have actually had to reach out to them, it takes a lot of back and forth to get issues understood and resolved. They do try, but it can be a lengthy process.

We started using this solution at this company when the company was started, so it's the only thing we have ever used.

In the past, I have used Veracode, WhiteHat Security, and Black Duck by Synopsys for some of their features.

The initial setup was straightforward. Snyk was brought in at a time when there were less than five employees, and they set it up that day. We just needed one person to deploy it, and it took them a day. It was easy and so straightforward that it didn't require a project.

If I didn't see ROI, I would move somewhere else. I would probably go to a cheaper solution, but Snyk is definitely above that compliance level of value. It is really proactive, and that's where I would rather be from a security program perspective. So, I do get the value out of it.

Snyk finds problems that we may not have ever found otherwise, so it is a significant benefit for us. It reduced the amount of time by an FTE, which is about 2000 hours a year that we would spend in doing what Snyk does with its tool.

Over the course of a year, Snyk has reduced the amount of time it takes to fix problems by approximately 100 hours in our enterprise. It makes it very clear what the fix is. They provide very good remediation advice.

The total time to value will depend on the company who implements it. For us, it was pretty short, probably two to three months. While it was very easy to set up, it takes a little while to really appreciate how its findings need to be addressed within the company. It forces you to develop some processes and feedback loops that you may not have had there before. So, it took us 90 days to fully appreciate the value and start remediating findings that were initially discovered.

I have not seen much in the way of false positives from Snyk. I have used a lot of software analysis tools and some are pretty bad, but Snyk is fantastic. I struggle to remember a time where Snyk found an issue that wasn't a true issue. It may have been very thorny to understand and resolve, but I have always found it to be accurate.

I have looked at other solutions, but Snyk continues to win out in evaluations. I also looked at WhiteHat Security and Black Duck by Synopsys.

We do use a product with WhiteHat Security, which is now owned by NTT Data, for SAST, DAST and manual pentesting. I have also used other independent contractors for some of that. I was looking at Synopsys and a separate product called Coverity for SAST in addition to what we use with Snyk. Separate from that, we do use SAST and DAST in interactive and mobile testing.

Snyk doesn't do SAST or DAST; they do software composition analysis. These are really separate offerings that don't really cross over. I would not go to Snyk for SAST and DAST, so I wouldn't make any competitive changes with my other vendors that are providing that solution.

There are a few other vendors who provide overlapping coverage for container security. However, for software composition analysis, we only use Snyk, so the solution is very important for us.

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to be doing any sort of software development that involves open source software, like many people do, many people have a blind spot or don't have a tool like this to even understand the risk that they take by pulling in an open source. It's not to say open source is bad, it just has a new threat surface that you have to monitor. We get a lot of benefit out of monitoring it, so I think ultimately we see problems others don't and have the opportunity to fix them. Therefore, there is a good chance that we will have fewer issues, like unauthorized data access, where they are sort of significant events because we have the visibility and the means to rectify them.

Snyk's actionable advice about container vulnerabilities is pretty good. I would rate it a six (out of 10). It's a newer offering for them, so it doesn't have the completeness of vision that their software composition analysis has, but it still appears to be accurate. It's a different type of product. They haven't packaged it to be very actionable, e.g., just do this one thing or here is the next step to fix this. It is a bit more abstract and has an explainer to it. You have to sort of distill that into what you need to do, but it still seems accurate. It is a little bit more to wrap your head around than how easy they have made the software composition product.

If you are looking for a software composition analysis product that provides remediation advice and you can't act on the details it's going to give you, you might be just as good dealing with a little bit less full featured product. However, if you want to be proactive as well as have the capability and technical resources that can move on the recommendations that Snyk makes, then you can realize a significant value out of this product. Thus, if you are at the level of maturity that can appreciate what this product can provide, it is a great value.

I would rate this solution a nine (out of 10).

Application Security Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Helps us to prioritize fixes and suggests version upgrades, saving us significant time
    • "The most valuable feature is that they add a lot of their own information to the vulnerabilities. They describe vulnerabilities and suggest their own mitigations or version upgrades. The information was the winning factor when we compared Snyk to others. This is what gave it more impact."
    • "The solution's vulnerability database, in terms of comprehensiveness and accuracy, is very high-level. As far as I know, it's the best among their competitors."
    • "We tried to integrate it into our software development environment but it went really badly. It took a lot of time and prevented the developers from using the IDE. Eventually, we didn't use it in the development area... I would like to see better integrations to help the developers get along better with the tool. And the plugin for the IDE is not so good. This is something we would like to have..."

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of code and a lot of microservices and we're using Snyk to test our third-party libraries, all the external dependencies that our code uses, to see if there are any vulnerabilities in the versions we use.

We use their SaaS dashboard, but we do have some internal integrations that are on-prem.

We scan our code and we go through the results on the dashboard and then we ask the teams to upgrade their libraries to mitigate vulnerabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

We feel more secure because we do have a way to measure the security and the risk factors of projects. We're able to create action items for the developers to fix. We have the feeling that we can worry less about these kinds of vulnerabilities, which are very critical vulnerabilities, in all the third-party libraries.

The solution has reduced the amount of time it takes to find problems, for sure. Without it, I would have to do things manually: Go to a project, get the list of libraries and the versions, and then search manually, one by one, in Google. It saves a lot of time. It's hard to estimate how much time it saves, but it must be days of work.

It helps us spend less time securing applications and that way it increases productivity. It saves a lot of time in looking for vulnerabilities in our projects. And, of course, it's much more efficient and quick with Snyk. It's saving us a lot of working days, maybe even weeks.

Snyk also helps us to prioritize things, what we need to deal with. For example, it tells us if there is an available online exploit for the vulnerability in a given library. That way, we know that we will want to address this issue first, because maybe some hacker could use the available exploit on us. It also has a pretty new feature, which is Snyk's own risk score from zero to 1,000, and that has also helped to prioritize. Another new feature we haven't tested yet is to see if a function is really in use in the code, which will also help to prioritize. And, of course, the suggested version to upgrade to is really important information for us.

What is most valuable?

For us, in the security team, it's pretty easy to use it to look for issues. If we want to look at a specific project, which may be external or more important or it may be more sensitive, we just go to the Snyk dashboard, look for the project, and directly get a list of all the issues, by severity. It also shows if there is a fix available. The filter is pretty good and we are able to get action items pretty immediately for the developers.

Also, I don't think there are false positives. Even if there is a vulnerable library that is in use, but maybe we're not using the function itself, it's not telling us that we do use that function. There isn't much of a false positive issue.

What needs improvement?

If the plugin for our IDE worked for us, it might help developers find and fix vulnerabilities quickly. But because it's hard to get the developers to use the tool itself, the cloud tool, it's more that we in the security team find the issues and give them to them.

I would like to see better integrations to help the developers get along better with the tool. And the plugin for the IDE is not so good. This is something we would like to have, but currently we can't use it.

Also, the API could be better by enabling us to get more useful information through it, or do more actions from the API.

Another disadvantage is that a scan during CI is pretty slow. It almost doubles our build time.

I have been using Snyk for about two years.

I have never experienced any instability in the solution. It's pretty good.

Their technical support is pretty good. We have a customer success manager. His name is Eliran and he's really nice. He helps us sometimes with actual support, but at other times he helps us with figuring out how to work with Snyk, or how to continue and expand with it.

Before Snyk we used one of its competitors, WhiteSource. We switched to Snyk because we were near the end of our WhiteSource license and we wanted to look at other options. We looked at the competitors and we saw that Snyk has a lot more valuable information on issues, such as exploitability online, and the suggested fixes for libraries, and there were more features. All of this information is very valuable for us, and WhiteSource was lacking it.

The initial setup wasn't too complex. They have good documentation, and it's pretty easy. Because our code repository and ticketing system are internal, we had to set up some Dockers to help us with that, but that also wasn't too hard.

The first deployment, until we started scanning the first project, took less than a week. To get it fully working as we expected, exactly how we wanted it, took some more time. That took some months. But the initial setup was really just a few days.

The implementation strategy was that we first wanted to scan the integration with our internal Bitbucket, the code repository, and get Snyk to scan all of the repositories on a daily basis. We had some struggles at first. We wanted to add the developers as users, so they could use the dashboard, but that didn't work so well. So we used a JIRA integration for ticketing and wrote some scripts that use the API to get some information and create tables with action items. Also, we wanted to add it to our CI so that every time a project was being built, a scan would start and the developer would get the information at that moment.

Right now, we're writing an automation to automatically open JIRA tickets with information from Snyk, for the teams. Hopefully, that will make my job more efficient, and even decrease the amount of work I need to do.

If maintenance is required it's on me, but I really only update our Dockers from time to time. There isn't too much maintenance.

I did it almost all by myself, but we did use Snyk from time to time. I would send them some logs if we had a problem and they would review then and respond with an answer in a few days.

We don't have numbers that say we saved this or that amount because of Snyk, but we have seen ROI. The time I would spend on those kinds of vulnerabilities without Snyk would cost more than what it costs us.

The time to value was pretty much from the beginning; maybe one month or two.

We also looked at Black Duck and SourceClear. The difference between them and Snyk, as with WhiteSource, was the information. The Snyk dashboard was also more user-friendly and more informative. Back then, it looked more user-friendly for the developers, to get them using it. That didn't happen ultimately for us, but it did look that way at the beginning. Their added information was the main trigger.

What other advice do I have?

If you're on-cloud it's pretty easy. If you're on-prem I'd suggest you look carefully at how the integrations should be. I spent some time configuring the Docker because I didn't have the right information, from our side. It would be good to know better the infrastructure and how the source code or ticketing system works before starting to implement the internal Dockers. But if it's on-cloud and you are only using the SaaS dashboard, it's pretty easy.

It is easy to use, but it's hard to get the developers to use it. That part is not too easy. Our developers are not that into it. We, the security team, have to do a lot of manual work ourselves. We have to do a lot of triaging ourselves and then ask the developer teams to take action. I don't think the developer reluctance is something in the tool; I don't think it's the tool's fault. The subject itself is not that appealing to developers and they don't like to take care of security much. It's hard to get them to use it.

Only our security team of three people uses the Snyk dashboard itself. Unfortunately, no developers are using it. I use it on a weekly basis. On the security side, the adoption is high. And the developers always follow my instructions based on the Snyk results that I send to them. If you include the developers who are using my recommendations, then there are dozens of developers "using" it.

I don't think it has reduced the amount of time it takes to fix problems, because ultimately it just tells us to upgrade to a specific version. If we got this information manually, without Snyk, we would still just need to upgrade to that specific version. It's still on the developer side to make the fix. I don't think Snyk is important for that part.

The lack of SAST and DAST in the solution didn't affect our decision to go with Snyk because we see the solution as another aspect of security. I don't know if they should go to SAST or DAST because they are really good at what they do. The product is very good for this kind of security.

Overall, it's hard to say if it has greatly helped our security. It's hard to measure it. I can't say that we had an actual exploitable section in our site that was fixed with Snyk. It's just that we feel way more secure now. The added information they provide is very valuable and helps us prioritize. Prioritization is the most valuable thing we have gotten from Snyk.

• "It has an accurate database of vulnerabilities with a low amount of false positives."
    • "The documentation sometimes is not relevant. It does not cover the latest updates, scanning, and configurations. The documentation for some things is wrong and does not cover some configuration scannings for the multiple project settings."

What is our primary use case?

Talking about the current situation in our security posture, we decided to choose a platform which could help us to improve our Security Development Lifecycle process. We needed a product that could help us mitigate some risks related to the security side of open source frameworks, libraries, licenses, and IT configuration. We were interested in a solution that could also utilize Docker images that we are using for the deployment. In general, we were interested in a vulnerability scanner platform for performance scans to deliver and calculate our risks related to code development.

How has it helped my organization?

We have integrated it with our infrastructure, collecting images from there, and performing regular scans. We also integrated it with our back-end in version control systems.

Sometime ago, we deployed a new product based on web technologies. It was a new app for us. From the beginning, we integrated Snyk's code scannings that the product is based on. Before the production deployment, we checked the code base of Snyk, and this saved us from the deployment with the image of the solution where there were some spots of high severity. This saved us from high, critical vulnerabilities which could be exploited in the future, saving us from some risks.

It helps find issues quickly because:

1. All the code changes go through the pipeline.
    2. All new changes will be scanned.
    3. All the results will be delivered.

This is about the integration. However, if we're talking about local development, developers can easily run Snyk without any difficulties and get results very quickly.

It is one of the most accurate databases on the market, based on multiple open source databases. It has some good correlation and verifications about findings from the Internet. We are very happy on this front.

The solution’s container security feature allows developers to own security for the applications and containers they run in in the cloud. They can mitigate the vulnerabilities in the beginning of the solution's development. We can correlate the vulnerabilities in our base images and fix the base image, which can influence multiple services that we provide.

What is most valuable?

We see that they are continuously working on the Kubernetes security and platform security checking. This is interesting for us, because we are an enterprise customer, and all of these features are made available for us.

The container security feature provides good actionable advice for points of integration.

What needs improvement?

The documentation sometimes is not relevant. It does not cover the latest updates, scanning, and configurations. The documentation for some things is wrong and does not cover some configuration scannings for the multiple project settings. For example, sometimes the code base condition is consistent on multiple modules. It's kept on different frameworks and packet managers. This requires Snyk to configure it with a custom configuration from the scan. From this point of view, the documentation is unclear. We will sometimes open enterprise tickets for them to update it and provide us specific things for the deployment and scanning.

There is no feature that scans, duplicates it findings, and puts everything into one thing.

The communication could sometimes be better. During the PoC and onboarding processes, we received different suggestions versus what is documented on the official site. For example, we are using Bitbucket as a GitHub system for our code, especially for Snyk configurations. The official web page provides the way to do this plugin configuration. However, if we talk about doing direct connection with our managers from Snyk, they suggested another way.

We have been using this product for five months.

The product is sometimes unstable.

There aren't any limitations because we are using it as a SaaS platform. As an enterprise customer, we can create teams and additional projects as well as involve additional people. These things can easily be covered for our entire business.

We currently have 20 developers who use it.

We are planning to increase usage based on the things that Snyk can provide us, like Kubernetes security. I would rate our adoption rate at a seven out of 10.

Our enterprise success manager from Snyk has open discussions with us. We have been with Snyk at meetings and webinars with our engineers. Documentation for scanning on the developer side is clear and good. We don't have any concerns from our development team that it is difficult or unclear. Everything is good on this point.

It has poor support sometimes for the Scala language when running scans of the official Docker images from Snyk. Scala is a part of the Java framework. We need to customize it and built our own Snyk images. The platform provide the images, but the execution is too long.

Their customer success management is an eight out of 10, because every enterprise ticket should go to general support initially.

I would rate the first line of support as a six out of 10, but their technical site engineers who help us are an eight out of 10.

We did not previously use another solution in this company.

The initial setup was not complex; it was easy for us. I thought the configuration guidelines offer a clear way for integration with registries, where we are hosting our Docker images. It was easy to integrate with Docker platforms for the SoC configuration, which was done in one working day. This was very fast.

The documentation of installation (for the scanner on endpoints for development) was clear. We quickly checked all our inbox code. All of the processes of enrollment were clear and fast.

The initial setup took one month. Our deployment is still going on.

Its enterprise support is a very good feature. This helped us to enforce processes faster.

Our implementation strategy is based on suggestions from the product managers and success managers from Snyk. In general, we are going to collect all of the vulnerabilities and findings as soon as possible to aggregate the results and mitigate the false positives. This is to correlate the results of a licensed check-in and create our own policies for future detections.

For part of the configurations, we needed help from Snyk because sometimes the documentation is wrong. It can also be unstable, so we cannot integrate the scannings with an unknown error. In these cases, we conduct our enterprise support to help out. It does requires us to contact support regularly.

It will probably be a year before we see value from the Snyk platform.

Snyk has reduced the amount of time it takes to find problems by 30 to 40 percent.

The price is good. Snyk had a good price compared to the competition, who had higher pricing than them. Also, their licensing and billing are clear.

We have multiple language service platforms based on different language scopes. We were interested in a platform which could cover all of the languages that we are using. We are a mobile-first application, so we were interested in the iOS and Android code and having back-end services that could be deployed via different languages. Another aspect was checking Docker images for vulnerabilities, using Gartner investigation and market research, and applying my personal experience in this niche (Security Development Lifecycle).

We had a comparison between several vendors, like Aqua Security, Snyk, and Qualys. In general, Snyk was the only solution that had a Docker scan aspect to it. It also offered us open scan for vulnerabilities. For this reason, we chose Snyk. It covers not only continuous scanning, but also provides the license scanning and open source scanning from the box. While there are lot of open source products on the market who offers this capability, Snyk aggregates all these features in one place.

If I had to go through the process of choosing a platform for our company again, I would chose Snyk.

What other advice do I have?

Check the following before using Snyk:

• Your language frameworks and whether Snyk can cover them.
    • The specific packet managers that your are using.
    • How Snyk performs with all your platforms, not just the main part. Gauge the difficulty.

Check the solution for all your language specifics. We have had some interesting projects where the default configuration does not work. Before using such products, you should check it in the most complex projects that you have.

Based on all our products, including Snyk, we have seen a 50 percent reduction in the amount of time it takes to fix problems.

The solution allows our developers to spend less time securing applications, increasing their productivity.

The feedback: It's a very interesting solution. It is clear what we are using it for and how we should use it. However, if we are talking about the interest from our developers, then the solution was evaluated as a medium. This is because of its readiness for implementation and adoption process.

I would rate this solution as an eight or nine out of 10.

Matt Spencer - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Security Engineer at Instructure
    We can identify things earlier within the development cycle, giving us time to fix things
    • "We have integrated it into our software development environment. We have it in a couple different spots. Developers can use it at the point when they are developing. They can test it on their local machine. If the setup that they have is producing alerts or if they need to upgrade or patch, then at the testing phase when a product is being built for automated testing integrates with Snyk at that point and also produces some checks."
    • "I would like to give further ability to grouping code repositories, in such a way that you could group them by the teams that own them, then produce alerting to those teams. The way that we are seeing it right now, the alerting only goes to a couple of places. I wish we could configure the code to go to different places."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is dependency vulnerability scanning and alerting.

How has it helped my organization?

We have integrated it into our software development environment. We have it in a couple different spots. Developers can use it at the point when they are developing. They can test it on their local machine. If the setup that they have is producing alerts or if they need to upgrade or patch, then at the testing phase when a product is being built for automated testing integrates with Snyk at that point and also produces some checks.

The integration of SDE has been easy. We have it on GitHub, then we are using an open source solution that isn't natively supported, but Snyk provides ways for us to integrate it with them regardless of that. GitHub is very easy. You can do that through the UI and with some commands in the terminal.

The sooner that we can find potential vulnerabilities, the better. Snyk allows us to find these potential vulnerabilities in the development and testing phases. We want to pursue things to the left of our software development cycle, and I think Snyk helps us do that.

A lot of the containerization is managed by some of our shared services teams. The solution’s container security feature allows those teams to own security for the applications and containers they run in in the cloud. Our development operations is a smooth process. We are able to address these findings later in the development process, then have the scans at the time of deployment. We are then able to avoid time crunches because it allows us to find vulnerabilities earlier and have the time to address them.

It provides better security because we make sure that our libraries dependencies and product stay up-to-date and have the most current code available. Yet, we are able to quickly know when something requires urgent attention.

What is most valuable?

It raises alerts on vulnerable libraries and findings. It scores those alerts and allows us to prioritize them.

It is very easy to use: The UI is very polished and the API is straightforward. Our developers seldom have a thought like, "This is very odd how they are doing this." The solution seems very intuitive.

I am impressed with Snyk's vulnerability database in terms of its comprehensiveness and accuracy. There have been times when I know that brand new vulnerabilities have come out, then it's only taken them a day or two to adopt them and get them processed into their database. I feel pretty confident in the database.

The security container feature is good and straightforward. The solution’s actionable advice about container vulnerabilities is a little more straightforward, because in most cases, you need to upgrade. There is not as much investigation that needs to go into that. So, the decision to upgrade and fix those is straightforward.

Their API and UI are great.

What needs improvement?

If they were able to have some kind of SAS static code analysis that integrates with their vulnerability dependency alerting. I think that would work really well. Because a lot of times, only if you have this configuration or if you are using these functions, your code will be vulnerable. The alerts do require some investigation and Snyk could improve the accuracy of their alerting if they were to integrate with the SAS static code analysis.

Close to three years.

My impressions of the stability are very high.

We don't require staff for deployment and maintenance of this solution.

It is pretty scalable. We had a few projects that are too large, but they have actually produced fixes which help with that. As of right now, I feel that they are very scalable.

Developer adoption is 90 percent. Our goal is 100 percent. We are currently doing roadmap work, but we will be at 100 percent soon.

Our users are primarily developers. We have the 100 seat license, and I think we have around 80 to 90 users.

Snyk's technical support is big. I have worked with them several times. They are responsive and have always been able to help me with whatever things I am trying to do.

The initial setup is straightforward. They have great documentation, which is relatively straightforward. There are a couple different options on how you can integrate it. This allows you to sort of pick the easiest way. It was simple for most of our use cases and the ways that we needed to integrate with it.

Our initial deployment took less than a week.

We talked to a solutions architect for an hour. That was basically it. Our experience with them was good. Everything seemed very straightforward, so it all went smoothly.

We have seen ROI. The product is more secure. Snyk has allowed our developers to spend less time securing applications, increasing their productivity. This goes back to being able to identify things earlier within the development cycle and having the time, not having to handle all these things in a panicked, chaotic manner, in order to fix something.

Snyk has reduced the amount of time it takes to find problems. By finding problems early on in the development cycle, the solution is probably saving us about a month.

The solution has reduced the amount of time it takes to fix problems. Their database has a great description because it's easy to figure out what the problem is, then we can figure out what needs to be fixed. The time that it saves us is relatively small, about a day.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know how you want to structure the product at the time that deploy it, because it's hard to go back and restructure it. Prepare a deployment plan before you implement it.

Snyk reports vulnerabilities and alerts on vulnerable libraries, but there are usually a lot of stipulations on if it will be a vulnerability within the code. For example, it might say, "This library is vulnerable, but only if you're using these functions." Then, there is kind of a decision:

• Is it just going to be easiest to upgrade it and not really investigate it?
    • Or do you investigate it and figured out if it's a false positive or not?

So, it depends on how you define false positive. It alerts on vulnerable libraries, but it also says, "Only if you're doing this with these functions," which a lot of the times the case is not, but requires some investigation.

Snyk supports 95 percent of the environment that we have. We do have some code that is not supported by them.

We have other solutions to cover SAST and DAST. If Snyk were to come out with these solutions, we would be interested in what they have and possibly adopting those. It's not a concern for us that they don't have those, because we use other solutions to cover SAST and DAST, but we also want to be able to cover vulnerable dependency alerting.

They're always coming out with new stuff.

I would rate the solution as a nine out of 10.

Dirk Koehler - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Director, Engineering at Zillow Group
    Helps developers find and fix vulnerabilities quickly
    • "It is one of the best product out there to help developers find and fix vulnerabilities quickly. When we talk about the third-party software vulnerability piece and potentially security issues, it takes the load off the user or developer. They even provide automitigation strategies and an auto-fix feature, which seem to have been adopted pretty well."
    • "We have seen cases where tools didn't find or recognize certain dependencies. These are known issues, to some extent, due to the complexity in the language or stack that you using. There are some certain circumstances where the tool isn't actually finding what it's supposed to be finding, then it could be misleading."

What is our primary use case?

Snyk is a security software offering. It helps us identify vulnerabilities or potential weaknesses in the third-party software that we use at our company.

The solution is meant to give you visibility into open source licensing issues, which you may not necessarily be aware off, such as the way you ingest libraries into your application code for third-party dependencies. There is visibility into anything that could be potentially exploited.

It provides good reporting and monitoring tools which enable me to keep track of the vulnerabilities found now and/or discovered in the future. It is pretty proactive about telling me what/when something might need mitigation.

Their strength is really about empowering a very heterogeneous software environment, which is very developer-focused and where developers can easily get feedback. If you integrate their offering into the software development life cycle (SDLC), you can get pretty good coverage from a consumer perspective into the libraries that you're using.

It's a good suite of tools tailored and focused towards developers. It ensures their code is safe in regards to their usage of third-party libraries, e.g., libraries not owned or controlled, then incorporated into the product from open sources.

How has it helped my organization?

It is meant to be a less intrusive type of solution. It is easy to integrate and doesn't require a lot of effort. It's more a part of the CI/CD pipelines, which doesn't necessarily interfere with developers other than if there are actions/remediations to be taken. From a development impact, it's very lightweight and minimal.

It is not noticeable for most engineers since it's part of the pipeline. If no new findings are reported, then it goes through without any signals or noise. If there were findings, these are usually legitimate findings and can be configured in such a way that they can be blocked/stopped in your pipelines or be more informational. The user has all the knobs and screws to turn and tweak it towards their use case because there may be areas where security is more critical than in other parts of the company, like development projects.

We exclusively use their SDE tools. Our CI/CD environments are powered by source code control systems like GitLab and GitHub. BitPocket has also been integrated to some extent. There are CI/CD pipelines where we pull in Snyk as part of the pipeline, jobs, Jenkins environment, etc.

What is most valuable?

It is a fairly developer-focused product. There are pretty good support and help pages which come with the developer tools, like plugins and modules, which integrate seamlessly into continuous integration, continuous deployment pipelines. E.g., as you build your software, you may update your dependencies along with it. Packages that it supports include CI/CD toolchains, build tools, various platforms, and software/programming languages.

Their focus is really towards developer-friendly integrations, like plug and play. They understand the ecosystem. They listen to developers. It has been a good experience so far with them.

What needs improvement?

There were some feature requests that we have sent their way in the context of specific needs on containers, like container support and scanning support.

There are some more language-specific behaviors on their toolchains that we'd like to see some improvements on. The support is more established on some than others. There are some parts that could be fixed around the auto-fix and automitigation tool. They don't always work based on the language used.

I would like them to mature the tech. I am involved with Java and Gradle, and in this context, there are some opportunities to make the tools more robust.

The reporting could be more responsive when working with the tools. I would like to see reports sliced and diced into different dimensions. The reporting also doesn't always fully report.

Scanning on their site, to some extent, is less reliable than running a quick CLI.

We have been engaging with Snyk for close to a year.

I have not encountered any instabilities at this point.

We have seen cases where tools didn't find or recognize certain dependencies. These are known issues, to some extent, due to the complexity in the language or stack that you using. There are some certain circumstances where the tool isn't actually finding what it's supposed to be finding, then it could be misleading.

As a SaaS offering, it's been fairly stable.

We have an on-prem type of broker setup, which seems to be a fairly stable. I'm not aware of any particular outages with it.

We have no concerns regarding scalability. We operate at scale. Their approach is pretty lightweight for integrating tools locally.

We are not fully rolled out across the company; parts of the company are using it more than others. There are some best practices that we still have to establish across our development teams so it feels consistent across our scalable processes.

I would gauge the technical support as pretty good from our interactions. We are in a licensed partnership, so the response and support that we're getting is part of our license. For quick resolutions, we have standing channels, like Slack, where we can easily get a hold of somebody who can jump in and provide some feedback. The ticketing support system is for medium to long-term requests. It's been pretty good in terms of responsiveness and their ability to support in a very reasonable time frame. Responding in less than a few hours is common in regards surfacing issues and obtaining proactive support with someone who can chime in and provide potential resolution strategies.

The product is tailored towards developers. It has a good implementation and support team who provide quick resolution on support issues. Their support listens to feedback. We engage with them, and they listen to developers' needs. They have also been pretty good in terms of turning things around. Even though we hadn't done a major request with them, they're very supportive, open, and transparent in terms of what makes sense and is reasonable, like shared priorities and roadmaps.

We have been struggling a bit with the GitLab setup, but that's more of a custom solution problem.

What other advice do I have?

It addresses a lot of needs, especially in growing organizations. The more developers, the more heterogeneous your environment will look, as well as needing more tools to help you scale security practices. In this regard, it seems to be a very promising, scalable solution.

We have been utilizing the solution’s container security feature. It is not at full scale, though. We are engaging Snyk on container integrations.

I would rate it an eight (out of 10).

Download our free Snyk Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022