IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SAP Jam OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Enterprise Social Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is SAP Jam?
Encourage and facilitate collaboration in the cloud _ with our enterprise social network solution, SAP Jam.
SAP Jam Customers
INEOS Melamines GmbH, Medtronic, Schaidt Innovations GmbH & Co. KG, Plan International, Sailing Team Germany, Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection, SHORE Solutions Inc., TranSystems Corporation, Day & Zimmerman, Serco Group, Harlequi
SAP Jam Video

Archived SAP Jam Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user674109 - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner | eHRM & HR-IT expert | Project Management | Transformation at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Implemented to use along with the SuccessFactors Learning Solutions module. The user interface is still quite rigid.

What is most valuable?

SAP JAM is implemented to use along with the SuccessFactors Learning Solutions module for the social collaboration as part of the learning approach. SAP JAM has lots of possibilities, but the client is still discovering the way it can be integrated in the best possible way.

How has it helped my organization?

It is too early after the recent implementation to answer this question. Eventually, it should be able for trainers to set up virtual classrooms for trainees to teach and for trainees to collaborate and share experiences and knowledge.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is still quite rigid.

We have been using this solution since April, 2017.

Enterprise Social Software
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Microsoft, Slack and others in Enterprise Social Software. Updated: July 2022.
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.

No stability issues, but it is only two months after the go live.

No scalability issues, but it is only two months after the go live.

We had good assistance from our implementation partner.

We didn't have a previous solution.

The setup was straightforward, even when Skype for Business was integrated.

SAP JAM has lots of possibilities. My client is using it for a very specific matters, like social collaboration.

There are other examples where JAM is used in a broader, integrated way for HR. For example, it is the landing page for all the SuccessFactors functions and is used as the internal HR community within the company for all employees.

When considering SAP JAM, I would suggest buying it together with other modules within a package, similar to what my customer did.

We did not evaluate another options. This was part of the requirements for a Learning Management Solution.

it_user587703 - PeerSpot reviewer
IFS, SAP and Applications Specialist at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is a collaboration tool that connects to C4C.

What is most valuable?

It connects to SAP C4C (Cloud for Customer) and is a very useful collaboration tool for the sales, services, and marketing teams.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves sharing data.

What needs improvement?

Both layout and branding could be improved. They are very simple tools to change the layout and the branding, but not many options are available. We would have liked to change it a little more and make it more like our company’s background colours.

I have been using SAP JAM for three months.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 5/10. The support was good, but a little slow at times. I am sure SAP can do better. Also, we started off when the help portal was being changed, which probably didn’t help. It’s working well now. Maybe it’s more like a 6/10.

We did not have a previous solution.

I was not involved in the setup.

I am not involved in pricing and licensing.

We didn’t look at alternatives.

Enterprise Social Software
July 2022
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SAP Jam Consultant
The mobile app, in-app video recording, and the forum features are particularly valuable.

What is most valuable?

My customers find the mobile app, in-app video recording, and the forum features particularly valuable. In addition, the search function, used to search across all content.

How has it helped my organization?

My customers say they have improved communication and collaboration between their employees, especially those who are scattered across different offices or out in the field.

What needs improvement?

The product has been around long enough to have a large feature set. Sometimes it's a bit confusing with so many options.

As customers are getting more comfortable with the notion of a "social" app, some of the early features having to do with control of content, like the "unscannable" item list and the profanity monitor, can probably be retired soon.

I have used SAP Jam since 2009.

We have not had stability problems.

We have not had scalability problems.

Technical support is good. Product manuals are good to excellent as well.

We did not have a previous solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The product is delivered ready to use. You just need to go through the administrator screens to enable or disable the features and functions you want.

From doing many implementations of this software, I have found that certain members of a company’s organization, mainly HR and IT, often have initial concerns about implementing a social tool in the workplace. The usual fear is that employees will post inappropriate material, such as non-work photos, slander, or inappropriate comments. This fear stems from the similarity to Facebook in concept and design, and the perception that employees won’t use their common sense “filter” in the workplace.

As an aside, we have found that we have quite the opposite problem during implementations - people are too shy to post, and are hesitant to join the conversations that are sometimes visible to the whole company.

To counter the fears of IT and HR, the product has several monitoring and control mechanisms that can be enabled. These systems allow moderators to approve all content before it’s seen by others, and write log entries when someone posts a comment that has a restricted word, among other features.

The implementations that were done a few years ago made use of these features, but as companies are getting used to the concept of Social in the workplace, they see that the need to monitor and approve everything really isn’t warranted and is only a hindrance to participation.

Workers are more social-savvy now and are generally smart enough not to commit career suicide by posting something inappropriate for all colleagues to see. Plus, IT and HR are realizing that using a social tool, instead of collaborating via email, actually brings discussions out into the open for everyone to see and to learn.

I doubt SAP will remove the “monitoring” tools but having them in actually slows the implementation down, as we end up opening that Pandora’s Box of a discussion on why they are there.

We didn’t look at any alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

• Spend the majority of your project time designing and building out the content in your groups.
  • Make sure your group owners are well-trained in how to be good moderators and curators of the content.
  • Focus on adoption of the tool to get the most out of your investment.
  • Properly done, this software can be a great resource for your employees to stay engaged and connected to each other and to your organization.
  • The absolute worst thing you can do is just "turn it on and see how it goes".
  • You need to tie groups to a business purpose, otherwise there's no reason for an employee to use the tool.
it_user660606 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Training Manager with 501-1,000 employees
We value the social interaction, news feed, notifications, and content management.

What is most valuable?

We really value the social interaction, news feed, notifications, and content management that promote internal communication and the sharing of information. We also love the ability to create project specific Team sites and Group Sites for business units. The security is strong.

How has it helped my organization?

All employees, from the CEO to the warehouse personnel, have access to Jam and contribute to the news feeds and consume content. It has been very well received by most employees.

We have replaced our company intranet with Jam. During the next phase of this project, SAP Employee Central, we will be replacing an antiquated “Time Off” system, which has been well received in the pilot testing group.

What needs improvement?

Built-in ‘integrations’ with other SAP products could be better. We use a SAP HCM product as well, but synching data is a tremendous issue. It requires much help from consultants, multiple scripts, and multiple files to load all the information.

I would think that all SAP products would use a singular base platform and information could be shared easily among products. Since Jam and SuccessFactors were purchased by SAP from another company, the integration is not innate.

The product has been very stable so far with few, to no, outages. Most issues surrounded integration with our SAP HCM and SAP Employee Central.

So far, we have not had any scalability issues. We are up scaling to the SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central within the next three weeks.

Technical support has been outstanding. SAP is responsive and helpful.

No previous solution was in place.

The initial setup was fairly complex because of integration issues. The initial implementation was delayed due to issues with our implementation consultant. The consultant is a third-party implementation specialist for SAP products, not SAP.

I am not aware of pricing or licensing, as I was not part of the purchasing or evaluation process.

I was not involved in the process.

What other advice do I have?

Use cloud integration. We are using a hybrid solution which has caused issues in integration with other SAP systems.