Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Red Hat CloudForms OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Red Hat CloudForms is #23 ranked solution in top Cloud Management tools. PeerSpot users give Red Hat CloudForms an average rating of 5.8 out of 10. Red Hat CloudForms is most commonly compared to IBM Spectrum Computing: Red Hat CloudForms vs IBM Spectrum Computing. Red Hat CloudForms is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
Red Hat CloudForms Buyer's Guide

Download the Red Hat CloudForms Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Red Hat CloudForms?

Manage container, virtual, private, and public cloud infrastructures

Managing a complex, hybrid IT environment can require multiple management tools, redundant policy implementations, and extra staff to handle the operations. Red Hat® CloudForms simplifies IT, providing unified management and operations in a hybrid environment.

As your IT infrastructure progresses from traditional virtualization toward an Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) model, CloudForms evolves, protecting your investments and providing consistent user experience and functionality.

Red Hat CloudForms Customers
Cox Automotive, Penn State, FICO, G-ABLE, Seneca College, ITandTEL, The Paris Lodron University of Salzburg (PLUS), MyRepublic, Macquarie, The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, CBTS, Network Data Solutions (NDS)
Red Hat CloudForms Video

Red Hat CloudForms Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Red Hat CloudForms pricing:
  • "It is definitely cheaper than VMware. Everything is included. There is no challenge there."
  • "The price of Red Hat CloudForms was not competitive, it was expensive."
  • "Red Hat CloudForms has a subscript-based pricing model. The cost is approximately $20,000 annually which allows you to use as many users as you want."
  • Red Hat CloudForms Reviews

Professional Services Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Simple interface, seamless multi-tenancy feature, and good scalability, but needs stable updates, better compatibility, and clarity about support
    • "The multi-tenancy feature has been very helpful for our clients. It has been working fine and seamlessly for them. Its interface is also very simplified, and it is also an open and easy-to-scale solution."
    • "Our clients had challenges or issues with the updates. Its updates should be better managed. They should provide quicker and more stable updates. Its stability can also be better. We initially faced ease-of-use and compatibility issues while integrating it. We had a lot of compatibility issues with other products. Our clients are concerned about whether it is under IBM or it is still Red Hat. Clients are not very clear about the support, and they're not really happy with it. Currently, they're getting support from Red Hat, but going forward, they're not really clear about what would be the life cycle of the product, which is a concern for them."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator, and this solution is used by our clients. They are system service providers in UAE, and they provide infrastructure as a service to their end customers. CloudForms acts like a central console for them to provide the service. It is a central interface.

What is most valuable?

The multi-tenancy feature has been very helpful for our clients. It has been working fine and seamlessly for them. Its interface is also very simplified, and it is also an open and easy-to-scale solution.

What needs improvement?

Our clients had challenges or issues with the updates. Its updates should be better managed. They should provide quicker and more stable updates. Its stability can also be better.

We initially faced ease-of-use and compatibility issues while integrating it. We had a lot of compatibility issues with other products.

Our clients are concerned about whether it is under IBM or it is still Red Hat. Clients are not very clear about the support, and they're not really happy with it. Currently, they're getting support from Red Hat, but going forward, they're not really clear about what would be the life cycle of the product, which is a concern for them.

My clients have been using it for almost two years.

Red Hat CloudForms
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Red Hat CloudForms. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We are very happy with its stability, but it can be better. In terms of stability, I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Scalability is not at all a challenge. It is very easy to scale. Our clients are big companies.

Our clients are not really clear about its support going forward. They are not sure about whether it is under IBM or it is still Red Hat. Currently, they're getting support from Red Hat, but going forward, what would be the life cycle of the product is a worry for them.

We also use VMware. CloudForms is more open. In VMware, everything has to go back to VMware services, which is a pain point.

There are also a lot of open resources available for CloudForms. If you have just one guy dedicated to it, it becomes much easier as compared to what we have to do with VMware. VMware is very closed, and that's the reason why our clients chose Red Hat over VMware.

It was pretty straightforward. The full deployment took two weeks. The product itself requires just a day. After that comes the actual work of configuring everything, which sort of takes time.

It was set up by Red Hat. We provide a lot of other services, but for Red Hat, we take the services directly from Red Hat. It is a bit challenging when we have to get our guys to develop the competency to be able to deliver for this particular solution.

In terms of its maintenance, clients have to handle the updates. They have technical resources for this.

It is definitely cheaper than VMware. Everything is included. There is no challenge there.

What other advice do I have?

Its deployment was done by Red Hat for us. We had help from the best experts. I would advise others to get a few days of services from Red Hat so that they are able to get technical expertise from them if required.

I would rate Red Hat CloudForms a seven out of ten. If they had made it a little bit more stable and easier, I would have easily given it an eight.

CCO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Lacking cloud service support, complex configuration, but reliable
    • "Red Hat CloudForms is stable once it is up and running."
    • "All of the areas of Red Hat CloudForms could improve. It doesn't do half of the things that it says it can do out of the box. It takes configuration to make any of it work, which is not uncommon for solutions similar to this. However, it is frustrating."

What is our primary use case?

We were using Red Hat CloudForms for testing and evaluation of construction and deconstruction of cloud infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

Red Hat CloudForms did not help the way our organization functions.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, Red Hat CloudForms could improve by offering to support all the five major cloud services. It only supports Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure. It has some support for Google Cloud, but no support for Oracle Cloud, and no support for IBM Cloud.

I have been using Red Hat CloudForms for approximately four and a half years ago.

Red Hat CloudForms is stable once it is up and running.

The scalability of Red Hat CloudForms is good.

We had approximately 40 or 50 people using the solution for testing and evaluation.

Red Hat CloudForms is a solution that Red Hat poured some money into, and then when IBM merged with Red Hat, all the people who knew anything about it went on to do other things, and IBM doesn't have enough technical expertise to offer. I don't think they want to support the product either.

I rate the support of Red Hat CloudForms a one out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Negative

We used a couple of different solutions for cloud management previously.

The initial setup of Red Hat CloudForms is very complex. Nothing works out of the box and you have to configure everything to have it work. It was simple to have the solution deployed but difficult to get it running.

The deployment of Red Hat CloudForms was done in-house. I worked for IBM and we were using Red Hat employees to try to get Red Hat CloudForms running.

It shouldn't take more than about two or three people to support Red Hat CloudForms. However, the solution was so cumbersome that, it has to be the right two or three people.

We have not seen a return on investment. It would have taken too much development cost to make it worthwhile.

The price of Red Hat CloudForms was not competitive, it was expensive.

What we evaluated were CloudForms, VRA, CloudBolt, Flexera, Morpheus, and vRealize Automation.

What other advice do I have?

Red Hat doesn't support CloudForms anymore, IBM now does because they traded CloudForms to IBM for a different solution. IBM doesn't have enough people that know the solution well enough to support it. IBM has neglected the solution to the point where now it's becoming more and more unusable every day.

We did the pilot on Red Hat CloudForms and we did the test and evaluation, but we decided against pursuing it.

My advice to others is to look for another solution. There are a lot better solutions in the market. The solutions we did evaluate were better. VRA is not as good as it could be but it was better than Red Hat CloudForms.

Hybrid Cloud
    Red Hat CloudForms
    September 2022
    635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Matjaž Godec - PeerSpot reviewer
    CoOwner & CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good optimization but is immature and integration is complicated
    • "The optimization of the solution is quite interesting."
    • "The solution is still quite immature."

What is most valuable?

The optimization of the solution is quite interesting. It means we can prepare a bunch of VMs, and of course with self-service provisioning.

What needs improvement?

The solution is still quite immature.

Those CloudForms and similar products are very capable if you are some sort of programmer. It has the infrastructure, however, to actually make it work, you have to program it yourself inside the platform. It's okay as a platform, however, it is not a ready-made product. You have to do a lot of work.

The product is expensive. It would be ideal if they could work on their pricing model.

What I expect from Red Hat is for it to make configurations for common use cases. Red Hat CloudForms allows you to integrate with external sources. Yet, if you want to integrate something, then you have to program it in Ruby in order to integrate. If you want some features with this integration, they also have to be programmed. I know that with other products, it is more of a point and click integration. Often, also, there are knowledge bases or use cases that are already present as point-and-click functionality.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point. It's been a while now.

The stability has been very good so far. We haven't had to deal with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

While we haven't tried to scale the VMs just yet, for us the scalability has been okay. An organization that needs to expand it should be able to.

Currently, in our company, we only really have four people on the solution that administer it.

We don't use technical support very much due to the fact that we are a very open-source company and are accustomed to doing our own self-support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is not too complex. It's pretty straightforward and simple. We didn't face any complications during implementation.

The pricing of the solution is quite high. It's something that could be worked on.

We evaluated a few other solutions. We knew the products of VM-Ware and others like Oracle VM and so, however not so much about their cloud management.

We have looked into the OpenStack and implemented some OpenStack, however, it is not quite in the same territory. With CloudForms, for example, we can manage OpenStack, however, OpenStack can manage itself only, and not other platforms.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Red Hat.

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we are using. It's some aspect of version four.

We use both hybrid and on-premises deployment models.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a five.

Hybrid Cloud
    Senior Manager at Wipro Limited
    Integrates well, high availability, and useful self-on-boarding services
    • "The most valuable features of Red Hat CloudForms are the benefit of the collective functionality."
    • "Red Hat CloudForms could improve by allowing more customization of reports. We have to do a lot of coding to accomplish what we want. Additionally, the compatibility with the multi-cloud could improve. The latter versions of the solution removed Google support and the cost comparison between other clouds was high."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Red Hat CloudForms are the benefit of the collective functionality.

What needs improvement?

Red Hat CloudForms could improve by allowing more customization of reports. We have to do a lot of coding to accomplish what we want. Additionally, the compatibility with the multi-cloud could improve. The latter versions of the solution removed Google support and the cost comparison between other clouds was high.

I have been using Red Hat CloudForms for more than three years.

The stability of Red Hat CloudForms is good. It has high availability.

Red Hat CloudForms can scale well.

I have used the support from Red Hat.

I rate the technical support from Red Hat CloudForms a four out of five.

The initial setup of Red Hat CloudForms was straightforward. There are aspects of the implementation that will take time, such as report customization. However, the initial setup does not take very long.

What other advice do I have?

CloudForms has been acquired by IBM from Red Hat. IBM has no technical support under its portfolio. It's not been officially announced by IBM where they stand. It is confusing. There are other tools in the market, such as ServiceNow or  Micro Focus CMP, which are direct competitors to Red Hat CloudForms. However, when Red Hat CloudForms is compared to the others, I prefer to use just Red Hat CloudForms because of the features, such as scalability, openness with integration, and other self-onboarding services.

I rate Red Hat CloudForms an eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: lower prices / cloud functions
    Download our free Red Hat CloudForms Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022