Quest Rapid Recovery OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Quest Rapid Recovery is the #12 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Quest Rapid Recovery an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. Quest Rapid Recovery is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Quest Rapid Recovery vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Quest Rapid Recovery is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 49% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
Quest Rapid Recovery Buyer's Guide

Download the Quest Rapid Recovery Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Quest Rapid Recovery?

Quest Rapid Recovery is a software solution that helps you recover your lost or deleted data quickly and easily. It works by scanning your hard drive for any traces of lost or deleted files, and then recovering them for you. You can use Quest Rapid Recovery to recover files from any type of storage device, including your computer's hard drive, an external hard drive, a USB flash drive, or even a memory card.

Quest Rapid Recovery is easy to use and comes with a user-friendly interface. It also has a wide range of features that make it one of the most powerful data recovery tools available on the market today. Whether you need to recover a single file or your entire system, Quest Rapid Recovery is flexible enough to get the job done.

The software offers simple solutions for backup and restoration. You can monitor and manage backup and recovery environments across multiple sites from one cloud-based management console. The software also tracks changed blocks to speed up backups and reduce storage usage. In addition, Quest Rapid Recovery deploys application-consistent backup with fast recovery for file servers and applications on both Microsoft Windows and Linux systems.

Quest Rapid Recovery Features

• Cloud archive: Stores your static data in Microsoft Azure, Amazon S3, Rackspace, or any OpenStack provider. This gives you more options for recovering your data. You can directly mount the archives to do a bare metal restore or a file-level restore.
  • Rapid snap for applications: Incremental-forever snapshots can be used to capture an entire application and its relevant state every 5 minutes, so that the application can be recovered quickly with near-zero downtime and minimal data loss.
  • Rapid snap for virtual: Protect your growing virtual environment by protecting VMware and Hyper-V VMs without disrupting applications and users.
  • Live recovery: Restores operations rapidly with an RTO of minutes.
  • Virtual standby: If the primary machine has any problems, the virtual machine will be activated to take its place.

Quest Rapid Recovery Benefits

• Offers the ability to easily back up data in the data center and in the cloud.

• Allows users to return to work quickly and without any impact on their business.

• Ensures you set recovery point objectives that are specific in order to reduce the risk of data loss.

• Reduces the amount of storage space you need to back up your files and save money on backup costs.

• Uses the cloud to back up, archive, and store your data in case of a disaster.

• Functions as a single solution for both physical and virtual environments.

Reviews from Real Users

Quest Rapid Recovery stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its ability to greatly reduce backup and recovery time and its ability to mount an entire server.

PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews. Glenn R., an ICT network manager at St Christopher's School Hove, writes, “We have reduced our backup and recovery time by between 80% and 90%. Built-in encryption helps to secure our data as it travels from our on-site server to our off-site backup server.”

Bill V., a systems and network administrator at a tech services company, notes, “Probably the point-in-time recovery is most valuable. The other piece that is really nice is that you can mount a whole server at any point in time. So, you can mount the server with all the drives to a Z drive or something like that. It will just mount it all up, and your data is accessible right there on one drive, which is nice."

Quest Rapid Recovery was previously known as Dell AppAssure.

Quest Rapid Recovery Customers

PRIME aerostructures GmbH, Tamworth Regional Council, Rhondda Housing Association, Stadtwerke Pforzheim GmbH & Co., Guangdong Aiyingdao Childrens Department Store, Nspyre, Tarrant Technology Partners, CloudRunner

Quest Rapid Recovery Video

Archived Quest Rapid Recovery Reviews (more than two years old)

IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent backup capabilities and good stability but reporting needs improvement
  • "The solution's most valuable aspect is its ability to back up a physical server to another physical or virtual server."
  • "The on-premises deployment model shouldn't have a maintenance fee. If there's going to be technical support, they need it to be free or it should be paid on upon adopting the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to back up our critical servers. We have an SQL server, so we use it to back up the data and the services on the SQL server to another machine in our disaster recovery site. We also use to back up our file server and some other critical servers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution should improve the reporting functionality.

The pricing could be adjusted.

The on-premises deployment model shouldn't have a maintenance fee. If there's going to be technical support, they need it to be free or it should be paid on upon adopting the solution.

I've been using the solution for three years.

Quest Rapid Recovery
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Quest Rapid Recovery. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable.

The solution has good scalability.

We only really had interactions with technical support during the initial setup of the solution. they responded to our requests and were able to assist us.

We have used other solutions, including NetApp, in the past. It was quite expensive to set up the infrastructure and maintain it which was why we switched.

The solution is complex. We tried hard to set up the solution, and it took us a while to activate. Deployment took a couple of days as we had to leave it and come back until we finally succeeded in implementing it. You only need one IT person and an external consultant for deployment and maintenance.

We used a consultant that assisted us with implementation.

The licensing costs are quite reasonable; they aren't the most expensive option. You do have to pay an extra amount every three years.

We looked at three other vendors but we ultimately decided on this solution because it had the ability to function well with our existing infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

It wasn't deployed for users. It was deployed for backup purposes for our servers. It's just the IT administrator that handles it. It's doing everything on its own. All we do is just supervise to check that it's still backing up our data.

It's a good solution. Most people may just find that it is undesirable to pay per call. I think they charge per call, so you should check your infrastructure before choosing Quest.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Infrastructure Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
Good general backup for replication and virtual standby but it's buggy
  • "The general backup for replication and virtual standby are the most valuable aspects. It does what it says it does. It's a decent tool for not a big budget."
  • "It's buggy. That's a big problem. We're arranging to get rid of it. We're going to switch to Veeam."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for backup and recovery.

What is most valuable?

The general backup for replication and virtual standby are the most valuable aspects. It does what it says it does. It's a decent tool for not a big budget.

What needs improvement?

It's buggy. That's a big problem. We're arranging to get rid of it. We're going to switch to Veeam. We've had no end of issues with it. When we got critical outages, we weren't able to rely on. It's quite frustrating but they do have some really, really good support guys. Generally speaking, they do try and get on top of these issues as quickly as possible, but I've just seen too many bugs with it. It doesn't work as I want it to work.

In the next release, they should tie up all these issues that they've got with the bugs.

I've been using this solution for one and a half to two years.

It's not stable.

It's relatively scalable. We have 21 users.

Some of the guys they've for there are really good, some of them are useless. I would rate their technical support as a seven out of ten.

The initial setup is relatively simple. It's not hard.

What other advice do I have?

I've experienced a lot of issues with it, so I would advise against installing it and going with Veeam. I would rate it a six out of ten.

Quest Rapid Recovery
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Can take a snapshot of everything on a server and replicate it on another server in real-time but it is lacking features
  • "The fact that it can take a snapshot of everything on a server and replicate it on another server in real-time is the most valuable feature."
  • "You can only take a snapshot from a virtual environment. It should have the ability to take snapshots from both a virtual and physical environment."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model for this solution. My primary use case of this solution is to backup my physical server.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Quest Rapid Recovery for more than a year now.

It's very stable.

It was deployed by the IT department. It's not used by a user. We use it to replicate applications to another point, as another disaster recovery measure.

We have technical support. The time difference affects their response time but we do get support when we need it. I am satisfied with their support.

The initial setup was complex. It took a while to deploy because we had a lot of challenges. We didn't get it to a perfect, 100% point. We are managing it the way it is.

It's very expensive which is why I want to drop it. They charge us per core and we have a six-core server. It's expensive to pay for maintenance charges. I want to switch to something cheaper.

There are additional costs to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

If cost isn't an issue, it's a very good solution. If you're looking at your overall, yearly costs you should look for something cheaper.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. Not a ten because it's lacking features. It can only replicate from SQL to SQL, not Oracle to SQL or IBM, etc.

Top 5LeaderboardReal User

Rapid Recovery takes a snapshot from one environment to another in real-time.
Its a nice solution that i would recommend to any small medium sized organization.

Wesam Qashou - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at MOA
Durable and rock-stable solution that can fully restore servers to any platform you want
  • "The solution offers a 100% guarantee that if it's backed up you will be able to restore it onto any platform you want."
  • "Sometimes, when we have certain batches for Windows, it needs to be restarted. When it's restarted, the service is configured as a delayed start. Sometimes, you need to wait too long until it rights itself, or you have to do it manually."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for backing up our critical servers and certain SQL servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Rapid Recovery comes with internal rapid recovery. We can make a backup for critical machines on a disk outside of our data center and it works perfectly. If something happens,  and the machine fails, we can restore it. You choose the time you want to restore and it restores anything.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, when we have certain batches for Windows, it needs to be restarted. When it's restarted, the service is configured as a delayed start. Sometimes, you need to wait too long until it rights itself or you have to do it manually.

I would like it if they could offer the solution as an appliance as opposed to a software.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution has perfect stability.

The solution is very easy to scale. We've already increased our usage since deployment.

Technical support is very good and very helpful. They know exactly what the problem is when you call.

We previously used EMC Networker. It was an older version, 8.01, and it was very bad. It was too complicated for us. We switched because the software was complicated, the administration and support were poor, and the price was not good.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment took about two days. You only need one person for deployment. Maintenance is operationally delivered. It means you just restore, and make sure the backup is okay, and you're good. You need one person for maintenance and one for administration once the solution is deployed.

We had integrators assist with the implementation.

The licensing is on a yearly basis and it's perpetual. You can have the license forever if you want to. However, if you want to upgrade, you can't upgrade unless you have a support contract.

The amount the solution costs is related to space. We have about 72 terabytes.

We also looked at VMware. We also use it. We find Rapid Recovery more impressive, however.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. Rapid Recovery is one of the most durable and rock-stable solutions. If you ever need to have a system backup, it can be restored to 100% without any issues.

Price-wise, it is similar to EMC Networker and Symantec.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

Top 5LeaderboardReal User

I can confirm Rapid Recovery to be a rock-stable solution.

it_user751089 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sales Engineer at BAKOTECH LLC
A good backup solution for small and medium-sized businesses that offers a straightforward setup
  • "The best feature of the solution is the user interface."
  • "Rapid Recovery can only backup the machine or disc, but it can't back up from folders, and files, and things like that."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to backup all infrastructure environments as well as the database.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of the solution is the user interface. It also offers a very simple audit from the utilization environment and has a very easy installation agent on record.

What needs improvement?

Rapid Recovery support is very bad. It's outdated and needs to be expanded.

Rapid Recovery can only backup the machine or disc, but it can't back up from folders, files, and things like that.

In a future release, I'd like them to offer more database support, file-level backup capabilities, and recovery, and a better support menu in the restoration environment.

I've been selling the solution for two years.

The solution is very stable.

Scalability on the solution is great, but you need more resources or to make more backups. You need some RAM memory, more space, to scale.

I've contacted technical support in the past if I've needed information or to find out if Rapid Recovery will be able to support some features. We've never had any problems with them before.

We previously sold Quest Results. It's from the same Quest software company. We switched because Quest is an enterprise-level backup solution. Rapid Recovery is a better small and medium-sized business solution.

The initial setup is very easy. It's not complex. Installation only takes maybe five or six minutes. Edge installation takes another five or so minutes as well, so you are up and running in ten minutes.

We handle the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a distributor. I sell this solution to clients. We typically deal with the on-premises version of the solution.

The solution is a great backup for the retail environment. It's a simple installation as well.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Top 5LeaderboardReal User

The solution is seamless when it comes to restoring your backup.
One of the tools that needs to be improved is reporting.

CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We can make hourly backups of our virtual and physical servers.

What is most valuable?

Quick and easy backups for all of my servers.

How has it helped my organization?

We now can make hourly backups of all our servers, both virtual and physical.

What needs improvement?

The need for speed is very important. Tech support must be quicker to respond to all issues. At least they do respond with a solution eventually. Tech people are clever and they use Google to get Windows answers.

We have used this solution for about three years.

There were no major stability issues.

There were no major scalability issues. This is usually license based.

We need clever tech people with a faster response time on regular tech questions. I was able to solve most issues on my own.

We used Backup Exec before. This was recommended, so we switched.

The initial setup was very straightforward and simple. It was just the standard "next, I agree, next," and setup. The retention policy is in plain English.

It is expensive. If you do not need physical backups, it is expensive for basic virtual backups. Look for an alternative solution.

At that time, this solution did all that we needed.

What other advice do I have?

You must use physical hardware. Do not create this server in a virtual server. We did that at first and it was way too slow. We then used a physical server on eBay with customer storage. Now it is so much faster. Not running in a Hyper-V physical later is always faster.

IT Officer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
The solution provides granular points from which to perform recoveries.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to do recoveries from the very granular recovery points available. It is easy to change from default backup scheds/retention policies to client-specific ones as needed. Push installs of the client software have been successful.

The new ver. 6 (Rapid Recovery) has no agent software needed (for VMs) and I'd like to upgrade to that.

How has it helped my organization?

It is now fairly simple for operators to keep backups automated and easily do restores, or for managers to log onto the web GUI to get a quick view on things. If you don't have knowledgeable or enough staff to troubleshoot it well and you're on contract, Dell support will do their utmost to support and fix it (so far).

What needs improvement?

GUI response time has a LOT of lag, although in all fairness it might be due to us running more clients than we should on the server (although that has supposedly been improved in the newly released version 6, called Rapid Recovery). It doesn't support tape backup or Mac clients (although I've heard rumours that users have been able to get it to work with tape and because it has a good Linux client, I would love to try to use MacPorts or Fink or Homebrew to try to get our newer Mac clients to run the Linux client). Works well with Windows and Linux physical and VMs. Newest (Rapid Recovery) version says that it won't "officially" support Win XP and Server 2003 clients any longer, although they should still work.

I have used it for over five years, since back before Dell bought it out, when it was called Replay.

I have not encountered any deployment issues.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

In my opinion, it's designed more for mid-sized, enterprise-level organizations, although if larger orgs use it, they'll have to add additional physical core servers, as Dell recommends not exceeding 130 clients per core server (although we are using 180 on ours but that's taxing it). We have about 75TB of storage supported by AppAssure for those clients, split into four repositories; some SAN, some DAS.

So far, I've found both the online forums and Dell Community pages and the Dell knowledge base pretty extensive, and all our direct support with Dell techs has been quick and so far very helpful. Hopefully, it will stay good now that they've just transferred Dell Software to Quest since Dell and EMC merged.

Technical support is very good to excellent.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure how things will continue with the software now being supported by Quest, although the newest version (Rapid Recovery) looks worth upgrading to and is supposed to have addressed some of the weaknesses of the 5.4 versions. We run this on two servers (one is the source - where all the backups back up to; the other is a target, which is where everything is replicated to as soon as each backup finishes, for DR purposes). The replication works well and allows you to change servers to the main "source" core in case of a server failure or problem, which we had to do once.

There are a lot of PowerShell script features you can run with it and a fairly large amount of forum and user info on the Web even outside of Dell's pretty extensive knowledge base online for it.

The GUI seems to be JavaScript-based and the events logs are MongoDB-based.

it_user183927 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user183927Vice President with 51-200 employees
MSP

From what we hear, Quest is committed to continued support and development of AppAssure under a new name, Rapid Recovery 6.x which now includes both agent-based for physical servers and agent-less for virtual (VMware and HyperV) systems. Abtech has deployed many instances of Rapid Recovery and its associated software, NetVault. Both are included in Quest's Data Protection Suite and can be implemented on client servers or on Quest's purpose-build data protection appliances (DL4300.) https://www.quest.com/solutions/backup-and-recovery/

Download our free Quest Rapid Recovery Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022