Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Chief Information Officer/Senior Vice President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Helps prioritize which security patches need to be deployed on specific equipment
  • "The prioritization feature is great. I think it has all of the advanced features that we need."
  • "It's too early for me to say if there is any room for improvement since we're in the first couple of months of using this solution."

What is our primary use case?

It's used for vulnerability assessments, assessment of IT equipment, PCs, servers. It's supposed to help prioritize which security patches need to be deployed on that equipment.

What is most valuable?

The prioritization feature is great. I think it has all of the advanced features that we need.

What needs improvement?

It's too early for me to say if there is any room for improvement since we're in the first couple of months of using this solution. So far, we've been pretty happy about it. Nothing comes to mind that is negative.

Given that it's really new, we're really trying to use all of the features and get a good comfort level and gain more experience in it. For this reason, I can't speak negatively of it, yet.

We've been using Qualys for roughly six to seven years, but we've only been using Qualys VMDR for a few months.

Qualys VM
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Qualys VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Qualys VMDR is very stable.

Qualys VMDR is definitely scalable.

They provide a lot of free virtual training to really understand the technology and the solution. That's a plus for them.

I used to work with QualysGuard VM — an older version. The earlier version didn't have the detection response that we needed, that's why this time it has the detection response. VMDR is the evolution of the solution.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. Deployment was quick.

We implemented this solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. For us, it's just more of gathering more experience. The more we learn, I think we'll appreciate it, and then maybe from that point, we'll be able to say it's a nine, or a ten. It's more on us versus the solution.

Director for global support at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
A comprehensive, scalable, and easy-to-deploy platform with a nice UI
  • "The vulnerability management feature is what I used the most. It is a good SaaS product. It is easy to use. It has a nice UI where you can see all the assets and vulnerabilities."
  • "Certain integration factors between different options could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

It is for vulnerability management. I used it in my previous company, and I also used it for my home network.

It is a SaaS platform. So, there is always the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The vulnerability management feature is what I used the most. It is a good SaaS product. It is easy to use. It has a nice UI where you can see all the assets and vulnerabilities.

What needs improvement?

Certain integration factors between different options could be improved.

I worked with this solution for two years.

Its stability and performance are good.

People use it for hundreds and thousands of assets, so it is definitely scalable.

I used to run technical support there. So, I didn't need to go for support.

It is easy and straightforward to set it up. It takes 5 to 10 minutes to set up a new asset.

I used to work there, so I never paid for the product. As an employee, we get a lifetime license for personal use, and that's what I'm using.

It is a comprehensive platform, so there is a lot more to it. There could be other solutions that are probably a little bit cheaper, but it depends on what people need. Different people have different needs. It offers many things on the same platform. If you add all the things up, it should be cheaper, but I have not done any analysis specifically.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product. I would recommend it to others. It had whatever I needed for my personal use case. There are a lot of features that I have not explored. Some of the features are applicable for corporate networks, and they can't be used for personal use cases.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Qualys VM
September 2022
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr. Manager, Vulnerability Management at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, supports multiple platforms, and the VM DR capabilities are helpful
  • "The features that are most valuable are the identification, scan features, and the identification of vulnerabilities."
  • "I would like to see more accuracy in detections, better reporting capabilities, and better dashboard download capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Qualys VM, as our scanner tool. We also use it for Application Security and Policy Compliance.

We use it for the identification of vulnerabilities for all of our devices on the network. This includes Windows workstations, servers, and Linux machines. We also use it for cloud, and external use as well.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable are the identification, scan features, and the identification of vulnerabilities. Recently, the VMDR additions and the threat protection has been useful.

It's pretty user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The Patch Identifications, which are supersedence identifications, need improvement.

I would like to see more accuracy in detections, better reporting capabilities, and better dashboard download capabilities. These are things that are definitely needed.

I have been using Qualys VM for more than 15 years.

We are using the latest version.

VMDR was added in July with newer enhancements.

It's a stable solution.

It's very scalable for large networks. We have also used the agents and they work very well.

I have a team of five in our organization and external to it, there are approximately twenty-five.

We engage with technical support often. There could be some improvements made.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It is different for every company, but for us, it's every three years. I will know more about the pricing in September because we are going to be looking at our pricing again.

We get a large volume discount, which is good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to others who are interested in using it.

Hybrid Cloud
Global Infrastructure Architect at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good technical support that is always there when you need them, but the prioritization of vulnerabilities needs to be improved
  • "Technical support is great and we've never really had a problem."
  • "We are moving away from Qualys to Defender ATP because I find that Defender ATP is much better at prioritizing the vulnerabilities that I should be looking at."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using Qualys for vulnerability detection, as part of our security solution. We're moving towards Defender ATP because I am looking more at the Operational Technology (OT) side of things than I am at the Information Technology (IT) side.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about this product is that it does what it is supposed to do, which is vulnerability scanning.

What needs improvement?

We are moving away from Qualys to Defender ATP because I find that Defender ATP is much better at prioritizing the vulnerabilities that I should be looking at.

In general, I would like to see some better analytics and prioritization of vulnerabilities.

We have been working with Qualys VM for three years.

Qualys VM is a stable solution.

This is a stable product.

Technical support is great and we've never really had a problem. They're always there if we need them.

We did not work with another similar solution prior to Qualys.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Our setup involved some on-premises deployments but ultimately, it uses the cloud.

They have recently changed the pricing model, which is now better than it was before.

Right now, we don't have anything in our OT environment, and this is what I am particularly interested in. I am currently having discussions about new solutions with Qualys, Tenable, and Forescout.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Manager, Info Security Planning & Architecture at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
A great help to improve and maintain security
  • "The most valuable features are vulnerability scanning, policy compliance scanning, and tablet for web application scanning."
  • "Sometimes the scanning can get overwhelmed and start to drag when a lot of users are trying to scan at once."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use Qualys VM for vulnerability management to carry out vulnerability scans on IT assets to find out which are vulnerable and what is needed to patch them. We also use it for policy compliance scans and in tablet for web application scans.

How has it helped my organization?

Qualys VM has greatly helped us to improve and maintain our posture of security.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the scanning can get overwhelmed and start to drag when a lot of users are trying to scan at once. I think cloud-based solutions like Qualys VM should be prepared to throw more resources in to ensure they don't get overwhelmed like this.

I've been using Qualys VM for about six years.

The stability and performance have been fine.

Qualys VM is very easy to scale - that's one of the benefits of cloud-based solutions.

Qualys' technical support is very responsive.

Qualys VM is straightforward to set up.

The deployment was done in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anybody looking into using Qualys to go online to also check on Gartner and Forrester. From a planning perspective, you need to look at your estate to determine what kind of tool you need. I would rate Qualys VM eight out of ten.

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Connects threat intelligence information with identified vulnerabilities, so you can prioritize vulnerabilities according to actual attacks
  • "The most valuable feature is the connection of threat intelligence information with identified vulnerabilities, which means you can prioritize vulnerabilities according to actual attacks."
  • "Some of the older features could be polished instead of focusing on releasing new features."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Qualys VM for vulnerability management, security configuration, and management and asset inventory.

What needs improvement?

I've been using Qualys VM for around eighteen years.

We've had no problems with stability.

Qualys VM is quite easy to scale, and you can cover a large number of instances.

The technical support is pretty good, though sometimes the response time could be better.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is quite simple.

Qualys VM is better suited for medium to large companies because the price can be too much for smaller customers. With the SaaS version, you're buying a license for use per asset, so the price can differ, and there are additional fees for features like patch management and EDR policy compliance.

We also tested Tenable and Rapid7.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Qualys VM as nine out of ten.

Senior Manager Network Design at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Versatile features, highly scalable, and beneficial reports
  • "The most valuable features of Qualys VM are its ability to do proper vulnerability assessment. It has a lot of updates for all the vulnerability databases from all over the globe. It's an amazing solution when it comes to the versatility of the features it has. Additionally, the reports are very good. It generates very detailed reports about the vulnerabilities inside the environment"
  • "Qualys VM could improve by having more skilled support personnel."

What is our primary use case?

We use bother on-premise and cloud deployments of Qualys VM. For my clients in the cloud, we use a cloud solution, which is a bring your own license model. Additionally, We have our own deployment of Qualys VM.

We are using Qualys VM to provide a VM service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Qualys VM are its ability to do proper vulnerability assessment. It has a lot of updates for all the vulnerability databases from all over the globe.  It's an amazing solution when it comes to the versatility of the features it has. Additionally, the reports are very good. It generates very detailed reports about the vulnerabilities inside the environment

I have been using Qualys VM for approximately five years.

Qualys VM is a highly stable solution.

Qualys VM could improve by having more skilled support personnel.

The initial setup of Qualys VM is straightforward. The full implementation took us approximately one day.

We have approximately 100 people who are part of our technical team. We did the implementation of this solution.

There is a license for the use of this solution. We pay annually instead of monthly to receive a better discount on the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Qualys VM a nine out of ten.

Omar ORta - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Transformación Digital at oesia
A feature-rich, complete product, and the multilingual technical support is good
  • "I like Qualys because it is a very complete product, more so than Tenable."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for vulnerability management.

What is most valuable?

I like Qualys because it is a very complete product, more so than Tenable. It has vast capabilities.

We have been working with Qualys VM for a very short time, perhaps six months.

This is a stable solution.

Scalability-wise, this is a good product.

The technical support is very good and they have it both in Spanish and English.

We are also working with Tenable SC. Qualys is both more complete and for us, better in terms of pricing.

For a beginning, the initial setup is complex. You have to have some knowledge for setting it up and using it.

The price of Qualys for us is better than Tenable, although that is only because we are partners. The retail price of Qualys is higher than that of tenable. The pricing and licensing for Qualys could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it, mainly because of the capabilities and the management using a single console. I can even create a calendar for activities from the main screen.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Qualys VM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022