IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Global Infrastructure Architect at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good technical support that is always there when you need them, but the prioritization of vulnerabilities needs to be improved
  • "Technical support is great and we've never really had a problem."
  • "We are moving away from Qualys to Defender ATP because I find that Defender ATP is much better at prioritizing the vulnerabilities that I should be looking at."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using Qualys for vulnerability detection, as part of our security solution. We're moving towards Defender ATP because I am looking more at the Operational Technology (OT) side of things than I am at the Information Technology (IT) side.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about this product is that it does what it is supposed to do, which is vulnerability scanning.

What needs improvement?

We are moving away from Qualys to Defender ATP because I find that Defender ATP is much better at prioritizing the vulnerabilities that I should be looking at. In general, I would like to see some better analytics and prioritization of vulnerabilities.

We have been working with Qualys VM for three years.
Qualys VM
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Qualys VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Qualys VM is a stable solution.

This is a stable product.

Technical support is great and we've never really had a problem. They're always there if we need them.

We did not work with another similar solution prior to Qualys.

The initial setup is straightforward. Our setup involved some on-premises deployments but ultimately, it uses the cloud.

They have recently changed the pricing model, which is now better than it was before.

Right now, we don't have anything in our OT environment, and this is what I am particularly interested in. I am currently having discussions about new solutions with Qualys, Tenable, and Forescout.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Manager, Info Security Planning & Architecture at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
A great help to improve and maintain security
  • "The most valuable features are vulnerability scanning, policy compliance scanning, and tablet for web application scanning."
  • "Sometimes the scanning can get overwhelmed and start to drag when a lot of users are trying to scan at once."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use Qualys VM for vulnerability management to carry out vulnerability scans on IT assets to find out which are vulnerable and what is needed to patch them. We also use it for policy compliance scans and in tablet for web application scans.

How has it helped my organization?

Qualys VM has greatly helped us to improve and maintain our posture of security.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the scanning can get overwhelmed and start to drag when a lot of users are trying to scan at once. I think cloud-based solutions like Qualys VM should be prepared to throw more resources in to ensure they don't get overwhelmed like this.

I've been using Qualys VM for about six years.

The stability and performance have been fine.

Qualys VM is very easy to scale - that's one of the benefits of cloud-based solutions.

Qualys' technical support is very responsive.

Qualys VM is straightforward to set up.

The deployment was done in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anybody looking into using Qualys to go online to also check on Gartner and Forrester. From a planning perspective, you need to look at your estate to determine what kind of tool you need. I would rate Qualys VM eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Qualys VM
June 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Connects threat intelligence information with identified vulnerabilities, so you can prioritize vulnerabilities according to actual attacks
  • "The most valuable feature is the connection of threat intelligence information with identified vulnerabilities, which means you can prioritize vulnerabilities according to actual attacks."
  • "Some of the older features could be polished instead of focusing on releasing new features."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Qualys VM for vulnerability management, security configuration, and management and asset inventory.

What needs improvement?

I've been using Qualys VM for around eighteen years.

We've had no problems with stability.

Qualys VM is quite easy to scale, and you can cover a large number of instances.

The technical support is pretty good, though sometimes the response time could be better.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is quite simple.

Qualys VM is better suited for medium to large companies because the price can be too much for smaller customers. With the SaaS version, you're buying a license for use per asset, so the price can differ, and there are additional fees for features like patch management and EDR policy compliance.

We also tested Tenable and Rapid7.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Qualys VM as nine out of ten.

Senior Manager Network Design at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Versatile features, highly scalable, and beneficial reports
  • "The most valuable features of Qualys VM are its ability to do proper vulnerability assessment. It has a lot of updates for all the vulnerability databases from all over the globe. It's an amazing solution when it comes to the versatility of the features it has. Additionally, the reports are very good. It generates very detailed reports about the vulnerabilities inside the environment"
  • "Qualys VM could improve by having more skilled support personnel."

What is our primary use case?

We use bother on-premise and cloud deployments of Qualys VM. For my clients in the cloud, we use a cloud solution, which is a bring your own license model. Additionally, We have our own deployment of Qualys VM.

We are using Qualys VM to provide a VM service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Qualys VM are its ability to do proper vulnerability assessment. It has a lot of updates for all the vulnerability databases from all over the globe.  It's an amazing solution when it comes to the versatility of the features it has. Additionally, the reports are very good. It generates very detailed reports about the vulnerabilities inside the environment

I have been using Qualys VM for approximately five years.

Qualys VM is a highly stable solution.

Qualys VM could improve by having more skilled support personnel.

The initial setup of Qualys VM is straightforward. The full implementation took us approximately one day.

We have approximately 100 people who are part of our technical team. We did the implementation of this solution.

There is a license for the use of this solution. We pay annually instead of monthly to receive a better discount on the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Qualys VM a nine out of ten.

Omar ORta - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Transformación Digital at oesia
A feature-rich, complete product, and the multilingual technical support is good
  • "I like Qualys because it is a very complete product, more so than Tenable."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for vulnerability management.

What is most valuable?

I like Qualys because it is a very complete product, more so than Tenable. It has vast capabilities.

We have been working with Qualys VM for a very short time, perhaps six months.

This is a stable solution.

Scalability-wise, this is a good product.

The technical support is very good and they have it both in Spanish and English.

We are also working with Tenable SC. Qualys is both more complete and for us, better in terms of pricing.

For a beginning, the initial setup is complex. You have to have some knowledge for setting it up and using it.

The price of Qualys for us is better than Tenable, although that is only because we are partners. The retail price of Qualys is higher than that of tenable. The pricing and licensing for Qualys could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it, mainly because of the capabilities and the management using a single console. I can even create a calendar for activities from the main screen.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Senior Cyber Security Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The reporting and GUI need improvement but it's reliable
    • "Qualys VM is very stable."
    • "The reporting and the GUI need improvements."

What is our primary use case?

It was responsible for vulnerability scanning. It enforces vulnerability management websites.

What needs improvement?

The reporting and the GUI need improvements. Tenable dominated in these two areas: reporting and graphical user interface.

Qualys VM was used once for one of our customers.

We were using the latest version.

Qualys VM is very stable.

I didn't have all of the necessary information regarding the scalability or how to scale this solution, but all vulnerability management solutions have the same idea.

I believe that it is easy to scale.

I did not contact technical support.

I have also used Rapid7, which is very similar to Qualys VM.

Scaling is more difficult with Rapid7. When it comes to scaling, Rapid7 is not my first choice.

I did not implement this solution, I performed one scan for our client.

What other advice do I have?

We have regulations in place in Saudi Arabia and Egypt that require all vulnerability management solutions to be implemented on-premise.

I would recommend this solution to others but Tenable is my preferred option.

I would rate Qualys VM a five out of ten.

Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Provides excellent security for scanning, flexible with good integration

What is our primary use case?

We are consultants and resellers of Qualys VM.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution's web application security for scanning, the solution is flexible with good integration.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see additional security for the app. The product lacks integrations for third party solutions or automation integration for other tools.

I've been using this solution for six months.

The product is 100% stable. There are five users in the company who deal with operations and security analysis. There are four people in the company who deploy and provide support.

I've never used the technical support. Documentation is simple and complete.

I've previously worked with Tenable IO and Rapid 7. We switched because of Qualys's web application feature.

The initial setup is straightforward. Initial deployment takes between two and four hours. We did it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
    Technical Architect at a outsourcing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great vulnerability management but doesn't pick up every vulnerability
    • "Qualys VM's best feature is vulnerability management."
    • "Qualys VM's scanner doesn't pick up every vulnerability, so we have to use multiple scanners to cover that gap."

What is most valuable?

Qualys VM's best feature is vulnerability management.

What needs improvement?

Qualys VM's scanner doesn't pick up every vulnerability, so we have to use multiple scanners to cover that gap. Their reporting could also be more user-friendly. In the next release, I would like Qualys to include basic policy and compliance checks in the basic licensing.

I've been using Qualys VM for almost two years.

Qualys VM is quite stable - we've had no problems with it.

Qualys VM's scalability depends on the license that you use.

Previously we used Nessus, but only Qualys does intrusive scanning.

We used an in-house team.

An annual license for a single scanner costs around $3,000.

What other advice do I have?

Qualys VM is a really good tool for vulnerability scanning, and it has different sets of profiles that can be utilized for your own requirements. I would rate Qualys VM as seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Download our free Qualys VM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022