We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Planview Projectplace OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Planview Projectplace is #4 ranked solution in top Project Management Software. PeerSpot users give Planview Projectplace an average rating of 8 out of 10. Planview Projectplace is most commonly compared to Planview PPM Pro: Planview Projectplace vs Planview PPM Pro. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 36% of all views.
What is Planview Projectplace?

By combining online team collaboration tools with powerful project management software, Projectplace provides everything you and your dispersed team needs to manage group projects and complete daily tasks. Start a free trial and see how easy it is to plan team projects, schedule tasks, collaborate on documents, and track your team’s progress using integrated Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and communication tools.

Planview Projectplace was previously known as Projectplace.

Planview Projectplace Buyer's Guide

Download the Planview Projectplace Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Planview Projectplace Customers

Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, Florida Virtual Campus, Amazing.com, 2degrees NZ, Kendrick Content & Consulting

Planview Projectplace Video

Planview Projectplace Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Planview Projectplace pricing:
  • "In my opinion, the pricing is reasonable."
  • "I believe it is a good value for money for the service they provide and the tailored program. When compared to Microsoft Project."
  • "I think the price of Projectplace is highly reasonable for the amount of functionality that you get. We have what they call a FLEX License. That means you get Projectplace, Enterprise One, and Leankits all on the same license. That's great because then you can use the other products without any additional cost."
  • Planview Projectplace Reviews

Strategist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    The transparency and ability to drive ownership to the person who owns a task has been very helpful
    • "I love the collaborative nature just from my role to help. I'm a strategist. I help manage those large strategic projects. Implementation is one significant piece of my role, but I love the collaboration that can exist within the tool."
    • "The reporting end of it needs improvement. There should be more reporting, more data at your fingertips. It should be easier and a little more user-friendly. I know there is some there, but it's just how do you get more meat on the bones, if you will, of what's available."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a lot of large strategic projects from an implementation perspective. We used to have rather large Excel files that we were managing task and project work to be done. Then, we transition all of those work plans into Projectplace. We use it for large strategic project implementations, the new cancer center, we are currently using it for a new hospital tower that we're opening up this fall, and things like that. So large strategic projects is primarily where I use it.

We have some service line leadership teams across our healthcare organization that we use to manage their work that's aligned with our mission and vision and so we use it for a lot of those teams. Across our organization, we have a lot of teams that are using it for a myriad of different reasons and it keeps growing. We have an accrediting body called "joint commission." They'll survey your facility and show where there are some opportunities for improvement. When our quality team gets that, they've used Projectplace to create some standard work using those ways within that combined view to really manage their work. That's the same work that needs to be accomplished once one of those surveys comes back in. They've set up that standard work and now they use that for every survey across all of our different facilities.

That was a really cool use case that I was involved with helping them design but that's being used across the organization as well. There's some work intake because we also have PPM Pro. From a work intake perspective, there are a lot of teams that are managing work intake and then creating projects in Projectplace or cards in the workspaces as a result of that. That's just the tip of the iceberg of what our organization is using it for.

How has it helped my organization?

Using PPM Pro has improved our work intake but then funneling that into Projectplace helped to facilitate that work intake. It's just clarity of the work and visibility that needs to be done. The upgraded visibility across what's in process or what needs to happen across the organization has been helpful. That means the transparency, the ability to drive that ownership to the person that actually owns the task has been very helpful. We're in the fairly infant stages of using it but it's quite a bit with many strategic projects that we have going on.

What is most valuable?

I love the collaborative nature just from my role to help. I'm a strategist. I help manage those large strategic projects. Implementation is one significant piece of my role, but I love the collaboration that can exist within the tool. We're still trying to work through that but the ownership and trying to get people to really gauge and use the tool when you have 13,000 to 14,000 people across the organization isn't easy. It could be challenging because not everyone jumps right in the feet and feels comfortable with the technology, but the ability to drive ownership and visibility into what's going on is just wonderful from my perspective as trying to empower the teams that I manage. That's been very, very helpful.

I like Projectplace for working with detailed implementation plans for projects. Early, when I first started using it, it was just trying to get over a mental hurdle of how not to lose the details. There are so many different ways in which you can set up a workspace, the activities, the cards, and using a checklist on the cards. There are so many different ways in which you can set it up. It's fun to think through how to best transition those detailed work plans into the Projectplace environment. Its work. It's almost like there's so much ability to set it up to meet the team's needs or a specific project is good and bad in terms of having the options available to you. It's challenging at times because there are so many options but it's very flexible.

I think it's a very flexible tool for detailed work plans because we have a new hospital tower that we're opening now. I used to have a 350 to 400 row Excel file. We were considering rather large files that we got narrowed down into some more concise workspaces in Projectplace. Flexible is a keyword I would use.

Projectplace tracks work details and completion milestones. I normally try to set up as many milestones as possible. One of the challenges is the data that's from it if you try to mix people. People want to see more operational metrics or KPI finances, things like that. Things that aren't really project or task-related. I would say they're concerned about how other things are going related to a significant project and those things aren't always available but we can, obviously based on the activities and things, report cards, progress, milestone completion, and some other things. I know it's just a challenge. I know our leader that manages the tool and collaborates with Planview is really focused on metrics, reporting, and how we keep making that more robust. Finding a way to take it another layer down into a more detailed look at metrics and things outside of project metrics is a challenge. It's a challenge getting that fine layer of detail.

It definitely supports collaboration in real-time. The only challenge there is, is trying to manage the change of the way people do work. It definitely supports collaboration in real-time, and there are many people that have jumped in and use all the time. But then for my seat, I also need to know that an individual is not quite there yet. I may need to follow up with a separate note. I may need to follow up with a phone call or something to check-in. It does work. It's getting people to buy in and actually use it and get over the mental hurdle of understanding that it's not additional work, it's just a different way to do work.

We also use Microsoft Teams as an organization so people need to understand how the different tools work and how they relate to one another and that sort of thing. Yes, it works, it's just getting over that hurdle as an organization of getting people to buy into, to using it in that fashion.

The overall visibility in the project status provided by Projectplace is okay. It should be a little more robust. I know we have some of it set up. I don't know all the details for certain types of projects. We can put in a specific project status, but for many projects, we don't have that functionality turned on and it's very vague. I don't know the behind the scenes of what someone is doing, but there are certain projects where the only status that people could see is very vague in terms of task and tasks completed. It doesn't talk about the details of the three potential barriers. Some people want to know a little more detail. We do use some functionality that is turned on for certain projects that we use that people can submit a project status and that's helpful. But we don't use it across the board. I don't know the details of what someone's turning off or on and why that's the case. I'm seeing that across different projects and different workspaces.

This ability to allow other teams to see into our project status affects my organization. One of the huge benefits, even just with the integration with PPM Pro, since we use that as well and Projectplace, we've had a huge leap forward in terms of visibility across the organization of just what's out there. What's available in terms of projects, what's currently going on and we organize that, based on the hospital service line. We organize those things that people could easily drill down and say, "Hey, what's being worked on"? We slice and dice that in numerous different ways. The visibility has been great. It's just so we can have a huge initial step and our internal team's done a great job to work with Planview to help build some of those dashboards and things and actually do that in PPM Pro. I think there's some room to make it even more robust down the road. But there is great visibility early on. There are things that never existed before.

It has helped to track resources allocated across multiple projects. Within PPM Pro we have some of that visibility. I don't know that we see that within Projectplace, they've been splitting hairs, but I don't know that Projectplace allows us to see that. For example, with the projects I'm leading, I'm aware of who's on all of them and the usual suspects right across our organization. But I don't know if it's organization-wide, if we're there yet, by using Projectplace.

Projectplace definitely dynamically updates schedules as progress is made. It's great. The real-time nature of it all is a great piece to have real-time changes. People are able to see those activities and how they may have changed. That visibility is great. Then I use the conversation piece and really communicate with the team there as well. That real-time change is really helpful from my perspective.

What needs improvement?

The reporting end of it needs improvement. There should be more reporting, more data at your fingertips. It should be easier and a little more user-friendly. I know there is some there, but it's just how do you get more meat on the bones, if you will, of what's available. If I were to be an executive wanting to see a summary of my project, how do I better understand what's really going on? Is there a way to do that? Projectplace is the right place to do that, to store some of those updates and KPIs and that sort of thing.

They should make more robust reporting.

Anytime our organization submits some feedback Planview is awesome with thinking through it, making changes, and putting in future releases. It's great to be able to provide feedback and our internal team has done that and there have been numerous changes. It's great.

I have been using Projectplace for one and a half years.

I've had no issues with stability. Occasionally I'll see something that looks funny, I refresh it and it's fine. As a user, I haven't had any issues with the performance.

Scalability is performing fine. It's the cultural change management side of bringing people along this journey because we're really in the infant stages, it can only have been a year and a half or so, we're still early in that journey. It's bringing people along. I think the tool's working wonderfully. I know we add more and more stuff to it every week if not every day. The tool's working fine from that perspective. It's the other end of it and bringing people along in that journey.

We're not looking to increase usage. I know there are some rather significant initiatives coming forth that we're going to roll out as an organization that's going to be hundreds of people engaged and we're going to use Projectplace as the primary collaboration space to manage that work. I know there is some big thing that's coming up that we're going to use the tool for as the primary source of truth in terms of what the work is, the work that needs to be done, and the status of that work.

We're looking forward to getting that going and nothing else specific outside of that that I haven't mentioned already in terms of the types of work. I would have envisioned more portfolio usage to organize multiple projects or workspaces along with some bigger initiatives. I could potentially see that in the future.

I haven't dealt with technical support. I go to our internal team and they help me get the answer. I haven't had to reach directly out to Planview. All of the help information on the website is wonderful, straightforward, short, and sweet. I can usually find the answer I need and just go onto the website.

Prior to Projectplace, we were using Excel spreadsheets. Then we used Microsoft Project. It's a fine tool for what it is. It just lacks the collaboration, lacks visibility across different projects and across an organization. It's fine for a specific project in what it does but there are a couple of key differences that make Projectplace a pretty powerful tool.

I don't know the behind the scenes set up that had to take place to make it happen but from a user's perspective, it was seamless. It was a couple of pieces of information, it links to our single sign-on for our organization. From a user perspective, it's super simple.

The setup took around six months. It felt fairly short from when I started hearing about it from our internal team to when that was getting rolled out. We rolled it out to certain groups first and started using it. It took around six to nine months.

It's pretty minimal in terms of day to day maintenance. There's a team of four, however, one doesn't work in there a lot. I think it's really only a director, one staff, that's working behind the scenes and some of that's PTM-Pro related too, it's not all Projectplace.

We have hundreds of users. We're over a thousand in terms of people that have accounts but it could be someone is not using it.

What other advice do I have?

Any department that's used it has seen the value. It's just the change of getting people to buy in, use it, and look at work in a different way. That's the key. Anyone who's used it has had a very positive experience, to my knowledge. It's very broad in terms of our organization of who's getting the value out of it.

From an organizational perspective, the transparency and accountability across a project, and the work that needs to be done is just wonderful. There's a ton of value as an organization for the transparency and accountability of work that needs to be done.

My advice would be to focus on the communication on the change side of it. The tool's awesome. It works. It's a wonderful tool, it's a great way to manage the work and do the work.

I would rate Projectplace a nine out of ten. It's been a nice tool. I like seeing things visually as well. So I think it's the ability to have some detail, but the visualization of work and activities and things like that is very helpful and very powerful.

Site Reliability Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
    The workspace ease, navigation, and portfolios are the most valuable aspects
    • "The workspace ease, navigation, and portfolios are the most valuable aspects of this solution. I just got access to the portfolios from my upper management, so I'm able to look at our specific SRE portfolio to see what's a priority, look at how many hours we've tracked, and things like that. I'm not so much included in the budgeting but it's important to see what projects are higher priority and so forth."
    • "The time reporting is an excellent feature that they can show from an individual. The only problem I see is the description field. You can't increase that field, like to pull the column and widen the column that I've seen. I'm not seeing anywhere you could do that. Because you may have some of these cards that start with the same name and you only have so much real estate. There should be a way to adjust those columns somewhat so you can look at the description or hover over it and it tells you what the description is."

What is our primary use case?

The biggest thing that I'm trying to hunt down is the integration with Projectplace possibilities with other tools such as with our development team that is using JIRA. Our information systems and services teams use it for planning project work, analysis, detailing, time tracking, and estimates. They haven't started the story point yet but we'll probably end up doing that. We do use the Kanban features of this to walk through our standup. And our PMs use the portfolios. Our managers, VPs, and directors use the portfolio to look at the overall work of how it's planned, and so forth. Those are mainly our use cases today.

Projectplace's ability to connect to Gantt charts and Kanban boards affects the ability of stakeholders to view progress. It shows the duration and visually if you look at the plan and see where you're at, based on today, and showing you progress, it has little visual cues if you're behind and so forth. From a Kanban board, they can come in and look and see what's still planned or if people ARE still working on something. Once we get there, they'll be able to see the story points. I don't see that JIRA would provide a velocity report, but I'm sure there's something in there that you can look at to see what was estimated and how much work you're getting done within a board.

We have less than 500 users.

How has it helped my organization?

To me, it's all about collaboration and that's helped tremendously. I know from upper management that ogging time and trying to see what works, opening the eyes of even the VP as far as how many hours have been logged for certain projects and support items has come very handy. They didn't realize that's how much time it took to support certain features of our organization. That was a huge success to see that and was an easy adoption. It's really key. Most people on our teams have taken to it.

Projectplace tracks work details in completion milestones. We do use the milestones for tracking and planning. It's really visual and it's easy to link from pre-inceptions, inceptions, iterations, collaborations that release and turnover, and so forth. That's been awesome. I've been trying to help the PMs out as much as possible for new people coming on board with how to adapt to that and be able to move those around. It's very similar to Microsoft Project, but I think if people have not been in Project before, it's easy to adapt.

Projectplace is very similar to Microsoft. I've only skimmed Microsoft Project somewhat just because I'm not a PM, but the PMO team enjoys this piece of it. It has the visuals, it's very similar. I don't want to say it's exact, obviously, but it's very similar where it's got the Gantt and visuals, you can add milestones, you can easily adjust those milestones and the targets, and you can pull and visually move things around. Going from a task or from milestone to milestone has been great. I'm sure there's more to Projectplace than I've seen.

What is most valuable?

With the portfolio view, I knew everything when we expanded out, showing the authority and statuses. Then inside the actual workspaces, looking at the analysis itself and linking those milestones in the analysis workspace is great because a lot of PMs need that for the plan. It's easy to navigate and easy to move. I loved JIRA as well but it doesn't give you that robust visual. I think it's a little confusing sometimes when you first start up with JIRA. But Projectplace was a snap for me.

It was great to get in there and really see how things move along and so forth. One of the integrations that we are using from JIRA, is the email piece of it. It's great that they can send it to an email board and create the card. That's awesome. Unfortunately, it's not bidirectional. You can respond to that email, but it's not usually that user's email that it's going back to because we're on the cloud over in JIRA as well. We're looking into some other options for integration.

We've created templates mainly for plan-build-run. We tried to make it as simple as possible. I personally want to build that out a little bit more, from an Agile perspective. Our company is still adapting Agile as well. We have Waterfall and Agile right now. From an Agile perspective, we want to build out templates with milestones for pre-inceptions, inceptions, iterations, and then left shifts for turnover, once it gets released, and so forth. We want to see what the cases are and what we want to accomplish then break that down. I love that you can import a work breakdown structure as well. I don't know if this company does it, but that's something I've done in the past. Being able to import is great.

Then we would just plug away and try to create cards in the workspace, forecasts that need to be done, and so forth. That's where that integration may come in from and ask with our research and development teams, being able to reach out to our team, engaging us from whatever they may need, finding out SLOs, and things like that. Then, of course, the repository, the documentation repository is great, it works fine. So far its ability to work with detailed implementation plans for projects has been great.

We use the Kanban boards to collaborate and that's been a great visual inside the workspaces. I think showing your meetings has been a win-win. At first, people had a hard time looking at those boards because they're creating a card. They're trying to create a board and we tell them not to. It's easy to hit the plus sign, add a card, move cards from "Plan" to "Working on" to "Done." If you're looking at milestones as Sprints, you would want to have a separate board, so to speak, that's a backlog board that could be used, and try to visualize that and do Agile methods like Grooming and so forth. It's been good.

From a scale of one to 10, the overall visibility into project status provided by Projectplace is definitely a 10. I think it covers a lot. You can adjust by breaking it down visually and they have all the different methods, looking at it from weeks, months, quarters or whatever it may be. You can easily add milestones and look at it that way. The portfolio's important. I just got access to that, so I'm still learning that piece of it, but I think looking at the overall time and so forth, and I think some of my upper management love to export it and look at it from how much work is being done. They can email that or there's a shared link that they email upstream to see how much we're adapting and so forth.

I know they are tracking resources across multiple projects. I know that my management has talked about how many hours are spent on a specific project and so forth, but I'm sure the members themselves are tracking it.

This dynamically updates schedules as progress is made. Without real-time updates, once somebody puts in an estimate or tracking their time if that wasn't real-time, that would be tough to dynamically look at that overall project and see how much progress. If they don't move their cards, and it keeps track of where those go, that would be a problem.

What needs improvement?

When I export or print, there should be a way to print the descriptions with that model, milestones, and there might be, I just don't know what that is. When you download the PDF, it only shows the actual name of the milestones and not the small descriptions that go along with them.

I've been using Projectplace for the last three to four months.

Stability has been great. We haven't had any problems with it. There has not been any downtime that I'm aware of, especially with the cloud version.

We plan to bring on more teams and members.

I find Projectplace to be scalable.

I usually just Google online or going to their site. I think their site's very robust, explains a lot, and you can track all the sessions that you've taken and so forth. But from a technical perspective, we're just beginning the integration discussion. They've been good so far.

I wasn't part of the initial setup but I think it was straightforward. I think they moved pretty fast.

The network team does the deployment and maintenance. There's an overall tools team from a corporate level but some are smaller divisions.

For deployment and maintenance there are only three of us.

I think we have seen ROI only because they're able to track the work and see how much work is being put into it and then determine resources and so forth, so that's really a key factor.

We've been talking to our account manager, he's helping us along. We're trying to figure out what's best for us and what may help us in the long run. We're looking at LeanKit, we know that there's a strong and robust integration there. But we just started our members on Projectplace, so we don't want to really switch tools yet.

What other advice do I have?

You definitely have to have a plan. The templates are great to start out with, being able to build those workspaces fast, and then jumping in. It's very intuitive, sometimes when you're trying to learn other products, like JIRA, sometimes it's a little more confusing and it's hard to get that concept of what an issue type is and trying to understand how they integrate. Then, of course, they have a portfolio too, which makes it a little bit easier to view, but I think it's been great.

I would rate Projectplace a nine out of ten. Not a ten because there is room for improvement with integration.

Learn what your peers think about Planview Projectplace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    One of the best tools out there for collaboration that affects a project's progress quite a bit
    • "Projectplace absolutely supports collaboration in real-time. It's probably one of the best tools out there for collaboration. It affects the project's progress quite a bit. I have started two very similar projects in two separate business units, on very similar teams. I did one with Enterprise One, I did one with Projectplace just to see how the mileage would vary. The one with Projectplace had a very short cycle time so we were able to finish the project earlier. The one with Enterprise One was less engaging and it took a little more time. Because we were tracking the tasks inside the schedule it was not on the cards."
    • "They should also improve the interface. There are other competitors like Microsoft Project for the web, Wrike, Team Gantt who have a way better, modern user interface."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an R&D Project Manager for new product development. We develop valves, pumps and seals, and I come from the valve background. I'm a Mechanical Engineer. We build new products from the beginning to the end and we use Projectplace to track the tasks.

We use Projectplace to track our project schedule. We also use Projectplace for the document feature where we tag our company's SharePoint links on to a Projectplace document so that all the documents that we are going to use in the project, be it any kind of piece, an Excel file, a PowerPoint, or a Word document, everything sits on Projectplace. It's super useful.

What is most valuable?

The command feature on the cards is very, very helpful. We can update the cards. It is very useful.

We already have a set process in our company for tracking work details and the completion of milestones. We run an integration with Enterprise One. The template is already available in Projectplace as well as Enterprise One. So we follow that template as the corporate suggested, but under each and every line outcome we have a task which we create in Projectplace and assign cards and connect the cards to the tasks. So in terms of how helpful it is for tracking milestones, it is very good.

Projectplace absolutely supports collaboration in real-time. It's probably one of the best tools out there for collaboration. It affects the project's progress quite a bit. I started two very similar projects in two separate business units, on very similar teams. I did one with Projectplace and one in Enterprise One just to see how the mileage would vary. The one with Projectplace had a very short cycle time so we were able to finish the project earlier. The one with Enterprise One was less engaging and it took a little more time. Because we were tracking the tasks inside the schedule it was not on the cards. We don't have cards on Enterprise One. We had to create many lines and it was very hard for people to navigate. In that sense, I would say Projectplace is extremely good for collaboration and it really helps to finish projects very quickly.

It allows our teams to view the project status. The project status is much more visible with Projectplace. It's way better for the project team. For leadership, Planview Enterprise One is better in terms of status because there is an overview screen on Planview Enterprise One.

We also Projectplace to connect Gantt chart activity and Kanban boards. It positively affects the stakeholder's ability to view progress because when they come to the project plan, they can easily see whatever is required. I also have created a dashboard which actually shows them the progress as well. I created the dashboard on Power BI and it's very easy to create a Power BI dashboard using Projectplace data.

We use Enterprise One for time tracking and reporting features for work done by project team members but there is integration between Enterprise One and Projectplace. There is a tab inside Projectplace where if you click on it, it takes you to Planview Enterprise One. We track our time through that.

What needs improvement?

I would give Projectplace's ability for working with detailed implementation plans for projects a seven out of ten. Projectplace has one feature that is missing called Baseline. Baseline is when you can capture a committed date and freeze it. And then when you're starting your project you can keep changing the dates. We don't have a Baseline date, so it's not very robust. We have to sync the project schedule to Planview Enterprise One and set the baseline in Enterprise One which is not very useful. I would prefer it if the Baseline feature was available inside of Projectplace itself. As for Projectplace, it is very simple to use. Planning is very simple and straightforward with Projectplace. But I wish Projectplace's plan could work more like Microsoft Project for the web. The way they handle the connection is much easier.

They should also improve the interface. There are other competitors like Microsoft Project for the web, Wrike, and Teams, who have a way better, modern user interface.

We can't do financial management in Projectplace. Financial management cannot be done on Projectplace but it also can't be done on Project for the web.

We've been using Enterprise One and Projectplace for quite a long time. I think Enterprise One started around nine to 10 years ago. My company has been using Projectplace since 2016, but I have been using it since 2017.

I would rate its stability a seven out of ten. In India, we have found that it crashes once in six months and we lose some data when there is a crash. There is a connector issue with Enterprise One and Projectplace which is horrible. The connector from Projectplace and Enterprise One is quite bad but apparently, they have fixed it in the later version.

I would give scalability a ten out of ten. We started with R&D then we went to transformation offers, then we went to different teams, and now they're trying to use it for our operation teams. It has been a very scalable product.

The only reason why it's not scaled as much as I would have liked to or expected is because Enterprise One does not scale very well, it's very bad and our organization focuses a lot on Enterprise One. Unfortunately, because of that, we haven't been able to scale Projectplace more. The dependency on Enterprise One has been its Achilles heel.

We don't have plans to increase usage. I think it's going to reduce because our contract is ending soon, so I'm not sure what the status is going to be based on corporate. But for now, I think it's going to remain the same or reduce the head count.

Microsoft Project is robust, it's for advanced project managers and for teams that can understand advanced project management things. But unfortunately in our organization, it's mostly used for casual project management.

I still use it for some projects that are quite complex but Projectplace works for scheduled projects, like product development projects and Agile projects. If you want a project to be more advanced, I think Microsoft Project could be perfect.

I would say Microsoft Project compares well against Enterprise One and Projectplace compares well against Project for the web by Microsoft. I have been using Microsoft Project for the web on one of my projects. If you asked me which one I would pick, it would be Project for the web because of the user interface and integration with Microsoft products. We are Office 365 customers so the integration with their products is excellent. That's the only reason why I would choose that, otherwise I would stick with Projectplace.

Microsoft Project for the web is a completely different application. Microsoft Project for the web is a new product from Microsoft which was introduced this year. Microsoft Project for the web and Planview Projectplace are very similar. In terms of the user interface, I would say Microsoft Project for the web is amazing, compared to Projectplace, it is way better. In terms of usability and stability, I prefer Projectplace.

In terms of cards and collaboration features, I prefer Projectplace. I really liked the user interface for connecting various tasks in the Gantt view. MS Project for the web is nice, it looks modern, but Projectplace looks very dated.

The initial setup is extremely straightforward because it's a single sign-on in our organization. It only took two weeks or so to roll out. It was not very difficult.

Maintenance used to require four people but now it's just one because COVID-19 happened. The person who maintains it is a solutions architect. We have around 800 to 900 users.

We don't absolve cost savings by using Projectplace, but we do see cost savings by using Enterprise One, due to tax reductions in American and European regions when we do R&D projects. Enterprise One gives us a good amount of savings in R&D tax, but not Projectplace. You could indirectly say that Projectplace is saving money.

What other advice do I have?

Collaboration was not the focus of our organization. Once we started to use Projectplace we gave it to everybody in the team, from the junior engineers, lead engineers, tech leads, to directors, to have one single platform to have conversations. It enables them to tag people on cards and tells them who is responsible for what. It helped me bring accountability back into a project.

I'm happy with Projectplace. I think Projectplace is the reason why Planview is surviving in my company. The scope is good, so people like it.

I would rate Projectplace a nine out of ten.

Program Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
    Customizable, scalable, reasonably priced, and stable
    • "Clarizen's slide publisher is one of my favorite features."
    • "I believe that the graphs, reporting, and connection with the slides are areas that need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Planview Projectplace for project management.

What is most valuable?

Clarizen's slide publisher is one of my favorite features. That is something I frequently use, and that is also highly valued within our company.

What I also like about the system is that it is custom-made. As a result, you won't have a lot of features that you won't use. You can also tailor it to the users' needs in order to provide them with the access they require, which is fantastic, in my opinion.

What needs improvement?

The graphics could be improved. I know they've been working on it, but the visuals could be more organized and easier for the eyes to read.

Sometimes it's slow. I get complaints that it's slow in starting up.

In terms of speed for up and downloads the performance could be better.

In the next release, I would like to see easier functionality for the calculations. When it comes to the reports, I like to see the graphs in a different way or an easy to manage the graphs.

I believe that the graphs, reporting, and connection with the slides are areas that need improvement.

I have been using Planview Projectplace since 2017.

Planview Projectplace is a stable product.

It's quite easy to scale. Simply add more licenses to have more people added to it.

I would say that up until about a month ago, I was very pleased with the assistance. Then I got a new person on board, and I've been confused about the support since then.

What I also like, and what I am also struggling with is technical support.  While it was Clarizen I received great support, but now that is Planview the level of support is less, but it could be bad luck because my technical support person has left the company, and I have a new person. As a result, the technical support is somewhat reduced.

One of the things I liked best about Clarizen was that they provided excellent technical support even after you'd been using the system for years. You knew exactly what was coming, what the updates were, and if you had any support questions.

The support allowed us to differentiate between the other solutions. Also, it was one of the reasons we chose this solution and would recommend it to others.

We were originally using Clarizen, and Clarizen has been acquired by Planview.

We were a division of a larger corporation. We were sold or divested. As a result, we needed to select a new system. As the system we had was very broad, and we only used a small portion of it. When you notice that it's becoming too complicated, and we simply made less use of it.

We were concerned that we were becoming smaller, we conducted an investigation to find something that would suit our needs. It would be easy to scale as well as adjustable.

If there is anything you will not use, I believe you should not use it at all or not show it to the project manager, rather than taking a very corporate approach and receiving a lot of extra features that you will not use. That is one of the reasons that we have chosen Clarizen instead of Microsoft Project.

We have reviewed also three other systems, and we stepped away from the system that we were used to because we also found it too broad.

It was complex for me to set up because I don't have a background in ICT. Even though they said it was simple, I found it difficult.

I needed an ICT person to assist me in the system setup.

I believe it is a good value for money for the service they provide and the tailored program. When compared to Microsoft Project. In my opinion, the pricing is reasonable.

We evaluated Microsoft and two other solutions. Also, we came from a corporate company that had another system in place, and we have chosen Clarizen because you can customize it to your requirements. You won't have a lot of additional features that you are not using, you can really make it, your own.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend the system to other users.

I am very pleased with the system right now. Based on the knowledge, and the experience that I have with other project management systems; I would rate Planview Projectplace an eight out of ten.

Manufacturing Manager, Capital COE at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Good collaborative features and integration
    • "Projectplace has excellent collaboration features, including some nice kanban boards. We use DocuSign, and Planview just integrated it into Projectplace, so that was helpful. And I like the fact that it links to Enterprise One, the other Planview tool that we use to manage our capital portfolio."
    • "We'd like to see a heartier connection between Projectplace and Enterprise One. We know that's on their roadmap, but they haven't gotten there yet. Planview could also make better use of Projectplace's template capability."

What is our primary use case?

We use Projectplace for managing capital projects.

What is most valuable?

Projectplace has excellent collaboration features, including some nice kanban boards. We use DocuSign, and Planview just integrated it into Projectplace, so that was helpful. And I like the fact that it links to Enterprise One, the other Planview tool that we use to manage our capital portfolio.

What needs improvement?

We'd like to see a heartier connection between Projectplace and Enterprise One. We know that's on their roadmap, but they haven't gotten there yet. Planview could also make better use of Projectplace's template capability.

I've used Projectplace for two years.

We haven't had any problems with scaling up so far, and we're a pretty big company. Right now, we've had no issues with a hundred projects, but we're going to get up to a thousand eventually.

We call the helpline sometimes, and I would say they're average. We've had no problems. Planview's consulting folks work with you every day to help you implement projects. They are extraordinary.

Setting up Projectplace was very straightforward.

I think the price of Projectplace is highly reasonable for the amount of functionality that you get. We have what they call a FLEX License. That means you get Projectplace, Enterprise One, and Leankits all on the same license. That's great because then you can use the other products without any additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ProjectPlace nine out of 10. However, before picking a solution, I would recommend doing some reference calls. I think doing reference calls with other companies can help you make a decision.