Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud is the #1 ranked solution in top Financial Performance and Strategy Management tools and #5 ranked solution in top Business Performance Management tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud is most commonly compared to Oracle HFM: Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud vs Oracle HFM. Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud?

Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service enables organizations of all sizes to drive accurate, connected plans across your business and be prepared for what's next. Navigate uncertainty with scenario modeling. Leverage built-in best practices and predictive intelligence across finance, line of business, and operations.

Planning, Budgeting, and Forecasting

· Create decision-oriented plans: Make better decisions by creating goal-oriented, driver-based plans. Get immediate insight to your performance with interactive dashboards and reports and leverage predictive planning to recommend the best path forward.

· Connect your business: Connect every part of your business with a plan that is fully integrated across finance, operations, and lines of business. With connected planning, you can immediately analyze the impact of changes across your business.

· Do freeform modeling at scale: With Oracle Cloud EPM Freeform, model multiple complex financial and operational what-if scenarios with large-scale, freeform ad-hoc modeling. Use predictive planning features to validate assumptions and reduce the risk in your decisions.

Prepare for anything with Scenario Modeling

· Apply sophisticated financial intelligence: Leverage financial intelligence and other powerful, built-in features to rapidly model multiple scenarios to quickly deal with change.

· Support your decisions with Monte Carlo simulations: Use Monte Carlo simulations to determine the likelihood of various scenarios, giving you confidence in your decisions.

· Align strategy with plans: Understand the impact of strategic decisions across your bottom line, balance sheet, cash flow, and shareholder value before pushing to your operational plan.

· Optimize capital structure: Model different funding options and understand the impact your strategies will have on your credit rating and capital structure.

Retain top talent with workforce planning

· Plan for compensation expenses: Plan compensation-related expenses by employee, job code, or at a level of detail that makes sense for your business using out-of-the-box, driver-based planning.

· Align finance and HR: Build the workforce you need to execute on your strategic goals. Collaborate more with HR with prebuilt integration to Oracle Cloud Human Capital Management (HCM) and integration with other third-party cloud HCM solutions.

· Leverage wizard-based planning for ease of use: Maintain complex employee expense calculations, such as benefits, tax expense, and others with easy-to-use planning wizards.

Plan your capital asset expenses

· Track the full lifecycle of capital investment: Create cashflow and funding plans for investments and leased assets. Also plan for new capital assets and take advantage of out-of-the-box calculations for depreciation and amortization during the lifespan of the asset.

· Plan asset-related expenses: Easily model asset-related expenses such as repairs and insurance. Automate processes such as retirements, transfers, and improvements.

· Plan for intangible assets: Plan for new and existing intangible assets, including amortization and cash flow planning and impairments.

· Review your capital expenses: Get an overall capital expense spending analysis, including asset summary reports, and actual versus plan variances. See the impact on cash flow, balance sheet, and income statement by asset class and business unit.

Understand the financial aspects of your projects

· Model all project types: Use out-of-the-box drivers to plan costs related to both short- and long-term projects. These include internal projects, such as IT, R&D, marketing campaigns, and contract-based projects or projects across more complex project-oriented industries, such as construction, engineering, and professional services.

· Plan detailed project costs and revenues: Understand the financial impact of your projects. Use drivers that help you plan for individual employee and asset-related costs, as well as expected revenues.

· Track project performance: Use prebuilt metrics to track project revenue, expenses, and cash flow. Leverage performance indicators such as net present value, payback, and return on investment.

Plan across all financial statements

· Optimize your revenue plan: Accurately plan revenue, sales, and gross margin by adding dimensions for specific drivers related to your business.

· Plan for all expenses: Plan for all of your expenses with prebuilt best-practice expense drivers. Include expenses from workforce and capital planning with prebuilt integration.

· Analyze the balance sheet: See the full picture by integrating balance sheets fully with income statements and cash flow. Configure for industry-specific requirements.

· Model your cash flow: Model cash from operations with fully integrated cash flow planning for short, medium, and long-term time horizons.

Integrated Business Planning and Execution (IBPx)

· Connect you planning, execution, finance and operations: Transform plans into execution and monitor activity to detect unexpected events using IoT, AI and prescriptive analytics. Simulate and evaluate alternative response to maintain or improve business targets.

· Reduce decision latency: Leverage real-time planning and execution details to act on negative trends faster and more effectively.

· Consolidated view across the entire process: Improve your short and long range strategic planning by seamlessly integrating planning and execution in to a single data model.

Empower finance to become data driven with IPM

IPM applies data science and machine learning to enable finance professionals to be more data driven, impacting key areas of the business, and take advantage of potential missed opportunities.

· Improve decisions with predictive planning: Identify and leverage patterns in your financial and operational data to improve accuracy. Run predictions on the latest actuals and factor those into your plans for more timely, objective decisions.

· Speed up data analysis to take faster action with Insights: Use embedded AI and machine learning (ML) to continually monitor your plans, forecasts, and variances, so you’ll be alerted about any anomalies, biases—as well as hidden correlations. Relevant insights now come straight to you, empowering you to take the right action in time.

Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud was previously known as Oracle PBCS, Oracle Enterprise Business Planning.

Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Customers

Australian Finance Group Ltd., Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd., TBS Group, Delaware Life Insurance, Shelf Drilling Ltd., Abu Dhabi Department of Finance, Fugro Norway AS, Drake & Scull International PJSC (DSI), Racepoint Global, Edgewater Technology Inc., King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, Communications Test Design Inc.

Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Video

Archived Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user486591 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It’s easy for users to see what they have to do next. The forms are riddled with negatives.

What is most valuable?

It makes it easy for users to get through and see what they have to do next. There are caveats though, and it’s not all positive. Things happen behind the scenes with the input forms that are riddled with negatives.

What needs improvement?

They could change the current web forms. You can’t stroll seamless down them because they jump. You can’t control F anymore to find something on a large form as well. I don’t like the way they changed the POV and header too. The drop down options to click are gray, as if you aren’t supposed to touch them, but the top bar that you actually are not supposed to touch is black. The hierarchy of going through a task list and forms also has issues; if you click the little right arrow, it opens, but then the items on the lowest levels still have those arrows. When you click them, nothing happens, because there is nothing beneath them, but the arrows are still there. They are like file cabinets and folders but the cabinet is inside the folder rather than the folder being inside the cabinet. It doesn’t make sense. When you click something in a task, sometimes a different one opens up and expands instead.

I’ve used Planning for four years.

It is more stable than the last product I used.

Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

What other advice do I have?

I don’t like this version, but it might get better. I think our company should have gone with an Excel based tool. I would rate it a five out of ten.

it_user486510 - PeerSpot reviewer
Techincal Data Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're happy with it from a standardized input perspective. We're not happy with how you get information out of the system.

Valuable Features

From a standardized input perspective, we’re very happy with it.

Room for Improvement

We are not that happy with how you get information out of the system. I wish we could delete years out of the Planning cube so that we didn't have to keep growing. Also, we would like to see the ability to build dimensions more dynamically.

Use of Solution

It's been operational for 6 years.

Planning takes some hand holding since processes have not been automated. Updating dimensions is more manual, so if we could automate that, it would be great.

Since we can’t delete years out of the Planning cube, the growth is eventually going to create a performance issue.

Support from Oracle depends on who you get on the phone. There is one person that I work with on a regular basis, and she does a wonderful job. If we need an update, she will go ask the development what's going on. If they're not moving, she gives them a push. Typically when we talk to people overseas, though, they just let the issue sit. In my opinion, we should bring support back to the states.

Upgrades and patching are a pain in the butt. There are just too many pieces that have to be implemented in the right sequence.

Other Advice

I would give Planning a seven out of ten. We have used other Planning applications, and this one is the best. However, it’s not quite the level I need.

Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user486528 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager, Finance IT Systems at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable features are the forums, translation and data movement. I would like to see instant dynamic calculations and more out of the box functionality.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features are the Planning forums, the ability to do all sorts of translation, and the ability to move data about with relative ease if the coding isn't too difficult.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see instant dynamic calculations and more out of the box functionality within Planning. I would also like to see a feature with HFM and Planning to move data more frequently and easily. The tuning of the Hyperion Planning applications is not intuitive or well-documented, and that has been a major drawback that was addressed in HFM, but not yet in Planning to my knowledge.

FDM, however, is really clunky, difficult to use and slower than it should be. When you map data, you have to manually tell the system what to clear or it will take forever. For large scalability applications, FDM is really lacking.

Use of Solution

We have been using Planning for five years.

Stability didn't exist on level 120, but on level 122 we're very stable. There are no issues.

We are hoping that the hybrid that is being created will fit meet our company’s needs going forward. The limitation right now is in the ability to do dynamic calculations instantaneously.

The support at Oracle is just terrible. When you call, it takes a couple days to get a response, and the answers and questions you get back are not well thought-out. In fact, they are often just nonsense. If you have all the components, support should be able to pull them up. They had a few good people that we used to work with, but they left.

In level 122, creating a new cube is very difficult. I'm hoping that in level 124 it will be much easier. It should be more straightforward for the end users. As is, it’s a little too geared towards IT professionals.

Other Advice

While it’s definitely the market leader for HFM, I’m not sure I would say the same for Planning because the architecture could be more advanced. I would look at the competitors, but I do like Planning, and I would rate it a seven out of ten.

it_user486573 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Essbase/Planning Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
We enjoy the stability. If the data is there, users are able to find it.

Valuable Features

We have labor queues and workforce planning as well as our complete budget and focus for different business areas in the company. It is adding so much value.

Room for Improvement

It could be more friendly with Excel. We have big forms with a few thousand rows and columns, which can sometimes cause performance issues. Users sometimes complain when they find that it can take up to a minute to open a big file. That’s the only issue.

Use of Solution

We have been using SPS and Planning for ten years.

It is really stable. We have a really big environment with a lot of people working on infrastructure and development, and in the last three years, we haven’t had any time when the system was completely down and a user was not able to access an application. We really enjoy the stability of the system. If the data is there, users are able to find it.

It is very scalable.

They are really good. Oracle is really aggressive in solving issues.

We have a government plan, so we don’t completely blindly upgrade the system. We need infrastructure for patching and we have to wait to get approval from the client. If we have issues we talk to tech support.

Other Solutions Considered

I have used ASP as well, and Hyperion is much more stable. It also has better features, especially for budget forecast. I think it's a great product.

Other Advice

This is the best product I have ever used in my life and I would rate it a ten out of ten.

CEO at PROMATIS Group
We've moved from a centralized to a decentralized planning approach, with the possibility of putting planning responsibility on middle management.

What is most valuable?

We find it valuable that all the features are combined into one system.

How has it helped my organization?

We've been able to move from a centralized planning approach to a decentralized planning approach, with the possibility of putting planning responsibility on the shoulders of the middle management.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have better performance. However there are substantial improvements during the past months.

We've used it for half a year.

No issues encountered.

There are rarely problems.

No issues encountered.

It's OK.

We switched from Excel to enable a collaborative planning approach.

It is easy to use.

We did it in-house.

We expect it to take two and a half years.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Think thoroughly the future planning process before implementing the product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Oracle Platinum Partner
it_user435993 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
For an organization considering an EPM planning solution, they'll want a quick cloud deployment of P&BCS and run with it. The quickness of the implementation is really where the value is.

Valuable Features

I think the biggest value of the Oracle Planning & Budget Cloud Service is to accelerate a client to bring up their planning and budgeting solution online, because it is a cloud deployment option. Therefore, IT departments don't have to ramp up on strategies as they relate to infrastructure, training, and skills.

For an organization considering an EPM planning solution, they'll want a quick cloud deployment of P&BCS and run with it. They'll need an implementation partner if they don't have the skills to onboard that type of system. The quickness of the implementation is really where the value is.

Improvements to My Organization

The biggest improvement for us is that it's defined our processes. It provides us with out-of-the-box cloud for P&BCS that's a clean slate we can work on to build our business. It also allows us to not have to invest in unnecessary IT and infrastructure footprint. It provides analytics and enterprise performance management as well.

Room for Improvement

Any new issues we have are really built up over time. With what we have, P&BCS caters to most of our requirements and our on-premise software. But there are some limitations. For example, the Attributes feature doesn't do cross-tab reporting baed on KPI. I believe that future versions will have it, so you have to be mindful as you design and build around it.

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

We haven't had any issues with stability.

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

Tickets are easily resolved, especially when they come from a client of the subscriber. I'm an implementer, but the subscriber who's paying subscription fees logs the tickets. The SLAs require support to be very prompt. Also, because this is a cloud product, Oracle wants to be very successful, so they've been making efforts to have a high level of technical support.

If you have an already existing on-premise planning application, it's quick because you just move it to the cloud. Considering that all the construct capabilities available in the P&BCS deployment option meet your planning requirements, it's a pretty straightforward setup.

But when there's a new client, the first out-of-the-gate benefit is your IT infrastructure and you're not engaged on that level. You don't have to do upgrades because the cloud will do it for you. We take the spreadsheets and their planning cycle and we built it.

We segregate the deployment into three phases. The first, laying the foundation, is the biggest, which takes three months. Next, is a one-month period of enhancements to functionality and build-out. Finally, we automate everything so that we just push a button and everything works.

Implementation Team

Sometimes we've had to get Oracle's help. Otherwise, it's very straightforward and easy.

Other Advice

If you're a net new client, talk to your peers who are in the same industry. Have they deployed the Hyperion solution? What kind of deployment option was there? Was it an on-premise, or was it cloud? Talk to them, and then get in touch with your vendors. Get in touch with your Oracle representative. Work with them. They will help you, because they in turn are trying to help ourselves. We all are.

Download our free Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022