Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

OpenText AppWorks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OpenText AppWorks is #12 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms. PeerSpot users give OpenText AppWorks an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. OpenText AppWorks is most commonly compared to Microsoft Power Apps: OpenText AppWorks vs Microsoft Power Apps. OpenText AppWorks is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Low-Code Development Platforms Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is OpenText AppWorks?

OpenText Appworks. AppWorks is OpenText's Enterprise Application Development and Management platform. It allows you to quickly and easily build purpose-specific apps for the enterprise using the web technologies such as HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript. These apps can connect to the OpenText EIM Suite using RESTful API.

OpenText AppWorks was previously known as OpenText AppWorks Platform.

OpenText AppWorks Customers
Red Deer County, DHFL Pramerica Life Insurance, Bangkok Airways, PBS, CIZ (Netherlands Ministry of Health), The Dutch Ministry of Defence, Mercer
OpenText AppWorks Video

OpenText AppWorks Pricing Advice

What users are saying about OpenText AppWorks pricing:
  • "Pricing for OpenText AppWorks, specifically in the Indian market, is reasonable, but I'm not aware if it's still reasonable outside of India. The licensing cost is based on the number of licenses and the number of users. OpenText AppWorks has different licensing options."
  • "There is a user-based perpetual license."
  • "AppWorks is pretty expensive."
  • OpenText AppWorks Reviews

Nages Rao - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder and Managing Director at Nichebit
    Has a monitoring feature and reasonable pricing, but needs a better UI and lacks mobile compatibility
    • "OpenText AppWorks has standard features such as system-to-system and human-to-human integrations, but what I find most valuable in the solution is its monitoring feature that tells you more about your processes, how to restart and how to stop each process, etc."
    • "A room for improvement in OpenText AppWorks is its user interface. It should have mobile compatibility because right now, you still have to make two applications with a user interface for Android and a user interface for iOS, so if OpenText AppWorks can provide one UI that can be used across all devices, that would make the solution better. An additional feature I'd like to see in the next release of OpenText AppWorks is a better UI in terms of the look and feel. Another feature I'd like to see in the next version of the solution is mobile compatibility because, at the moment, you have to make your application mobile-ready or compatible with mobile devices because there's no provision for it in OpenText AppWorks."

What is our primary use case?

We use OpenText AppWorks primarily for automation in the insurance, banking, and manufacturing industries. We use the solution for process automation.

What is most valuable?

OpenText AppWorks has standard features such as system-to-system and human-to-human integrations, but what I find most valuable in the solution is its monitoring feature that tells you more about your processes, how to restart and how to stop each process, etc.

What needs improvement?

A room for improvement in OpenText AppWorks is its user interface. It should have mobile compatibility because right now, you still have to make two applications with a user interface for Android and a user interface for iOS, so if OpenText AppWorks can provide one UI that can be used across all devices, that would make the solution better.

An additional feature I'd like to see in the next release of OpenText AppWorks is a better UI in terms of the look and feel. Another feature I'd like to see in the next version of the solution is mobile compatibility because, at the moment, you have to make your application mobile-ready or compatible with mobile devices because there's no provision for it in OpenText AppWorks.

I've been working with OpenText AppWorks for more than ten years now. The name of the solution recently changed, but it's what my company has been implementing for customers in the last ten years.

Low-Code Development Platforms
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about OpenText, Microsoft, ServiceNow and others in Low-Code Development Platforms. Updated: September 2022.
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

OpenText AppWorks is a stable product.

OpenText AppWorks is a product that's very much scalable.

The technical support for OpenText AppWorks is fine, but it's not one hundred percent, so if I were to rate support, I'd give it seven out of ten.

The team is quick to respond, but should have more expertise, be more knowledgeable about OpenText AppWorks, and should do a better analysis.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup for OpenText AppWorks has medium complexity, so it's not so easy and it's not so complex. How long the setup takes would depend on the type of application, its complexity, and your knowledge of it. You need to have the right experience.

Pricing for OpenText AppWorks, specifically in the Indian market, is reasonable, but I'm not aware if it's still reasonable outside of India. The licensing cost is based on the number of licenses and the number of users. OpenText AppWorks has different licensing options.

We're also working with another solution, Appian, apart from working with OpenText AppWorks.

What other advice do I have?

My company works with OpenText AppWorks which is the primary OpenText platform, in particular, a business process management platform.

My company serves enterprise customers. The number of people using OpenText AppWorks depends on the client. Some clients have a few thousand users, while some have close to one thousand users of the solution.

My advice to others looking into implementing OpenText AppWorks is that it's a very good BPM platform and it has a lot of BPM capabilities, but its UI needs improvement. Just recently, the OpenText AppWorks team came up with a low-code platform focused on entity modeling, but that had a lot of limitations and only works for a few, small processes, and not that much for complex processes. The UI for the solution is complex, and it would be better to go for Openpath and Angular or use another BPM engine.

My rating for OpenText AppWorks is seven out of ten.

My company is a partner of OpenText AppWorks that provides support and implements the solution for customers.

Senior Information Systems Specialist, BRM Unit Lead at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable, with good process automation and a nice low-code environment
    • "We really appreciate the process automation and how can you create human tasks as one of your processes."
    • "The solution needs to continue to enhance the low-coding feature within the product itself."

What is our primary use case?

Generally, we use the solution for automating business processes.

What is most valuable?

For our organization, the low-code environment has been the most useful aspect of the solution for us. We'd like to see more capabilities in the future. They really could grow it out quite a bit. If they enhance it further, it would make the solution more user-friendly and easier for their customer base.

We really appreciate the process automation and how can you create human tasks as one of your processes.

The stability has been quite good over the years.

The solution can scale if a company needs it to.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to continue to enhance the low-coding feature within the product itself. It could be better. They could continue to expand on its capabilities. It would improve the product in the long run.

We have been using the solution here for about three or four years.

The stability has been perfect over the years. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is good.

We have 400 to 500 users who take advantage of the solution at our organization.

The product is very easy to scale. If a company needs to expand it outwards, it can do so with ease.

I've never been in touch with technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are due to the fact that I've never personally used them.

We did not previously use a different solution prior to implementing this product.

I didn't handle the initial setup of the product. I wasn't a part of that team. Therefore, I can't effectively speak to how easy or hard it was to set up the solution.

We tend to handle the maintenance on our side, unless the issue is a bug or a defect, in which case, we would go directly to the vendor. We have two or three individuals that can handle any maintenance the product might need.

The deployment was completely handled in-house. The company did not require the help of outside consultants or integrators.

While I don't have the exact figures in terms of pricing, my understanding is that it is moderately priced. It falls somewhere in the middle. It's not overly expensive or very cheap.

I wouldn't be able to discuss if there are extra costs over and above the standard licensing or not. I don't have that kind of visibility.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers, however, we do have a very good relationship with Open Text.

I was leading the team who's working on it. I don't have hands-on in terms of technical, from a technical point of view. I was leading the team that was using it and developing business processes that were implemented using that technology.

We're doing the latest version of the solution. I don't recall the exact version number.

I'd recommend the solution overall. I would rate it at an eight out of ten. We're mostly quite happy with its capabilities so far.

Low-Code Development Platforms
    September 2022
    634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Ankit Mehta - PeerSpot reviewer
    Partner and Co-founder at Adnate IT Solutions
    Useful for integration-specific solutions and workflow-centric solutions

What is our primary use case?

For our customers, we have multiple use cases. It is mostly used for integration-specific solutions, as well as workflow-centric solutions. Wherever this combination is required, where there is an integration, or a workflow, or both, we use this platform.

We are not providing specific solutions. We are doing customizations and providing tailor-made solutions for the customer. We have around 12 customers in India.

The solution can be deployed on-premises or on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be improved. There could be some improvements with the low code design part. It could be more customizable and more user friendly.

We are consultants and have been providing this solution since 2014. I have been working with this solution since 2010.

It's very stable. We have worked with customers for the past eight years, and it has been very stable. They are happy with the solution provider. We have been providing after-deployment support services as well.

In terms of the scalability and the handling of complexity, the customers are satisfied, and we also have confidence in the solution to achieve whatever implementations are required.

It's fine. We get regular updates, and there is a portal where any case can be logged, and we get proper support from there.

It depends. Basically, for the low code features that have been introduced, setup doesn't take very long for a normal application/midsize application. It should take around one and a half months and not more than that. If there are more customizations, for example, then of course it takes more time because then you have to write code and put in some of the logics. But otherwise, for a midsize application, it shouldn't take longer than a month and a half to set up.

There is a user-based perpetual license.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

I would recommend this solution for those who want to start using it.

Hybrid Cloud
    Senthil Natarajan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Operating Officer at Muraai Information Technologies Pvt Ltd
    Very quick development platform with low-coding capability and strong integration

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use AppWorks for invoice process automation, accounts payable, order-to-cash, report-to-report, vendor collaboration, and to build turnkey processes for different verticals.

What is most valuable?

AppWorks is a very quick development platform with low-coding capability and strong integration with third-party systems. It also has a very scalable workflow or dynamic case management.

What needs improvement?

AppWorks could be improved by including BPM simulation.

I've been using OpenText AppWorks for nine years.

AppWorks is stable.

AppWorks is scalable.

The initial setup is medium complex - it's not highly complex, but you need to have skilled people to do it.

We used an in-house team.

AppWorks is pretty expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Anybody who's going to adopt AppWorks should first have a clear strategy for how they want to implement BPM for their organization. Once they add that, this tool can bring quick results. I would rate AppWorks as nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Wabotlhe Tau - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager Application Support at SASSA
    Customizable code, scalable, but integration could improve

What is our primary use case?

We use OpenText AppWorks online applications for social grants.

What is most valuable?

One of the most useful features is the code is customizable, we can make it our own.

What needs improvement?

The integration could improve.

I have been using OpenText AppWorks for approximately six months.

The stability could improve, we have had a few errors.

The solution is scalable.

We needed some assistance from technical support and the response was satisfactory.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I did the implementation of the solution myself.

We have evaluated Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate OpenText AppWorks a seven out of ten.

Download our free Low-Code Development Platforms Report and find out what your peers are saying about OpenText, Microsoft, ServiceNow, and more!
    Updated: September 2022