Microsoft Azure API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure API Management is the #2 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure API Management an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee: Microsoft Azure API Management vs Apigee. Microsoft Azure API Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Microsoft Azure API Management?

Microsoft Azure API Management is a reliable and scalable way to publish, consume, and manage APIs running on an Microsoft Azure platform. Azure API Management provides all essential tools required for end-to-end management of APIs. It ensures optimal performance of the APIs by tracking and enforcing usage and authentication.

Microsoft Azure API Management is primarily used to provide a central interface to create, provision, and manage APIs for web and cloud applications and services. Today's innovative enterprises are adopting API architectures to accelerate growth. With Microsoft Azure API Management, businesses can streamline their work across hybrid and multi cloud environments with a unified place to manage all their APIs.

Microsoft Azure API Management Features

Microsoft Azure API Management has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Manage APIs across clouds and on premises: Optimize API traffic flow by deploying API gateways side by side with the APIs hosted in Azure, other clouds, and on premises. Meet security and compliance requirements with a unified management experience and full visibility across all APIs.
  • Customized usage limits: By applying authentication, authorization, and usage limits, you can protect your resources by controlling how data and services are exposed to employees, partners, and customers.
  • API-first approaches: Accelerate your business by building apps faster and delivering immediate value to customers through API-first approaches. This helps you decouple front- and back-end teams through API mocking, API revisions and versioning, and automated API documentation.
  • Customizable developer portal: Improve API discoverability by creating a customizable developer portal for all your APIs. This enables you to simply manage and share APIs with internal teams, external partners, and customers.
  • Facades for back-end services: Transform your existing services and automatically turn legacy web services into modern REST-based APIs using facades.
  • Security for your API’s: Keep all your APIs behind a single static IP or domain, and help protect them with tokens, keys, and IP filtering.

Microsoft Azure API Management Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Microsoft Azure API Management. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Monitor the health of APIs, configure throttling, identify errors, and rate limits.
  • Enforce flexible and fine-grained quotas and rate limits. Modify the shape and behavior of your APIs using policies. Improve latency and scale your APIs with response caching.
  • Connect on-premises APIs to cloud services by creating a façade that lets you safely integrate.
  • Create and manage user roles and define end-to-end API usage policies.
  • Consolidate and manage thousands of APIs across multiple platforms in a central interface.

Reviews from Real Users

Microsoft Azure API Management stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Some of these include its DevOps integration, its easy setup, and its dynamic pricing. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

Cecil S., a Software Engineer, writes of the solution, “The most valuable feature of Microsoft Azure API Management is the developer portal because it's very quick and easy to get something published."

Dmitri E., an Integration Architect at MiBanco, notes, “In particular, in API Management, used as front-end APIs, it's easy to manage. We use Microsoft due to the stability of the company. It is easy to set up. The solution is scalable. It is stable as a product as well.

Microsoft Azure API Management was previously known as Azure API Management, MS Azure API Management.

Microsoft Azure API Management Customers

adnymics GmbH, LG CNS, Centrebet, netfabb GmbH, MedPlast, Accelera Solutions, Sochi Organizing Committee, realzeit GmbH, Opensistemas

Microsoft Azure API Management Video

Archived Microsoft Azure API Management Reviews (more than two years old)

CEO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Flexible, quick to deploy, and integrates well with the other Azure products

What is most valuable?

This solution is very flexible, and it's very compatible with the other Azure products.

What needs improvement?

The developer portal can be improved. There should be more resources available for the developers.

Better integration with third-party products would helpful.

I have been using Microsoft Azure API Management for two years.

This is a stable product and we intend to continue using it in the future.

Microsoft Azure API Management
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have more than ten users and there are five developers.

The support for Azure is excellent and we are satisfied with it.

The initial setup is very simple. It doesn't take longer than one or two hours to deploy.

A consultant assisted us with the deployment.

Solution Architect at a sports company with 201-500 employees
Good API hosting and management and very stable
  • "The API management and the hosting of the API platform are great."
  • "The documentation could be improved for the customer."

What is our primary use case?

We have company-wide APIs which are hosted in Niger, and some of the external clients access the applications via the API, and we provide the post-data information. The clients get their data from our larger API.

What is most valuable?

The way the API management handles the calls and call throttling is excellent.

The API management and the hosting of the API platform are great.

What needs improvement?

We haven't used API model that much, so I'm not in a good position to say recommendations as we are still exploring the Azure API management. We need more time to fully take in the solution before pointing our its flaws.

The documentation could be improved for the customer. The instructions on the district API and the initial stages of working with the solution need to be documented better so that users are more informed and they can have an improved experience.

I've been using the solution for three years now.

The stability of the solution is good. We haven't had any issues. I can't recall bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so quite easily.

Currently, we have between 500-600 users in our organization on the solution.

We haven't really used technical support too often. Therefore, I can't really speak to their level of knowledge or responsiveness to issues.

We previously used IBM Open Shift. We switched due to the fact that the company was going to Azure and we didn't want multiple clients.

The initial setup isn't too difficult and doesn't take too long. You need to handle it to have the management gateway. Of course, every time it is deployed, then it needs to be configured to work with API. That could take some time.

For the deployment and maintenance, the size of the team you need depends on the project. We had a couple of developers on ours, for example.

I assisted with the implementation. I tend to handle it myself.

It's my understanding that the licensing is very clear. However, I'm not involved in it in any way, and therefore, I'm not sure what the cost structure is.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

We do plan to continue to use the product going forward.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution. It depends on how their organization and architecture is, and if they're doing on-prem or cloud, depending on the requirement. It's very hard to say.

That said, I would rate it overall at eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure API Management
November 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Oleksandr Gaysin - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager, Engineering at GlobalLogic
Good user management with excellent configuration capabilities and decent stability
  • "The user management is pretty seamless."
  • "Technical support could be more flexible and try to meet the client's needs a bit more effectively."

What is most valuable?

The solution has pretty stable capabilities.

Their construction tool allows users to easily publish information about the API. It's basically just one click.

You can configure the subscription management onsite and link everything.

The developer portal that exposed the API documentation is great. You can just test the APIs in a very easy way.

The web portal is useful. You can build a pretty comprehensive portal where users can sign in and you can basically leave the API there.

The API management provided offers good integration with different management systems, like OpenID, for example.

The user management is pretty seamless.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is definitely an aspect that can be improved. They should offer an additional free tier. For example, if there was a tier for new accounts created, it may help their services by getting people onboarded. Once you will give access to someone and they try it they'll see, "Okay, it works and you can pretty quickly add something on top of it". After that, the client will end up staying, and probably paying.

The cost is also complex in terms of calculating how much everything will ultimately be priced at. It's not straightforward as it takes into account multiple factors.

The solution needs to provide more use cases so that we can refer them to clients. It will help answer any questions in relation to performance and load management.

I've been using the solution for about a year at this point.

There are some bugs that exist in this construction tool for the developer portal. We are submitting these bugs to Azure, so they already know about it. Overall, it's pretty stable.

In terms of Azure technical support, we've had no issues in regards to response times. They are prompt. However, in some particular cases, they unable to be flexible. For example, with MQTT blockers, while you might want another port, they might tell you to use the hosted solution in order to get them to configure it. We'd just like them to have more flexibility with requests like this.

In terms of corporate security nowadays, it's very important to be flexible. At the end of the day we get stuck in the bureaucracy. If they could practice flexibility, it would be better for their clients, who may not have the wiggle room on their end.

That said, we're mostly satisfied with their level of service.

The solution has a kind of calculator and it's not always straightforward to figure out the logic in pricing. There are lots of services that are managed in different ways. For a non-technical person, it's a nightmare to figure everything out.

At the end of the day, you have to build approximate pricing for the solution. According to my experiences in multiple projects, you do get preliminary pricing that is close to or the same as the estimate.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, for a particular client, we're using a managed version of the solution, however, in the future, I foresee us hosting it somewhere in the cloud.

We're using the most up to date version of the solution.

Overall, the solution has a lot of great features. There are a few bugs here and there, however, a the end of the day, there's lots of value provided.

I'd rate the solution at an eight, on a scale from one to ten. It's got a rather high cost and still has some areas that need some improvement. Otherwise, I'd rate it higher.

Hybrid Cloud

Vinayak Verlekar - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Architect Manager at ESB
Has good Active Directory Synchronization but the inbuilt policies need improvement
  • "The Azure Active Directory Synchronization is quite good."
  • "They should improve the inbuilt policies that they have and that should properly create a deployment architecture as well."

What is most valuable?

The Azure Active Directory Synchronization is quite good.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Azure for about a year.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

The price could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

At the end of the day, all the products are one and the same, just that some of them have more features than others. That's all.

I would rate Azure a seven out of ten. Not a ten because I would like for them to improve on the number of policies it has inbuilt and for it to have better deployment architecture.

RandallMcClure - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Architect at Pink Brain Technologies
It's very easy to get started but I would like to see them actually support out of the box
  • "We're pretty much using all of the monetizations features out of the API manager so we can put up a portal and have a dev portal and then a prod portal and do rate limiting."
  • "They're trying to implement versioning and trying to be able to manage different versions of your API all at the same time, but they're not doing that just quite right yet."

What is our primary use case?

They're doing integration work between a lot of different on-premises business platforms, like Salesforce and NetSuite. We're doing integration work, but we're putting all of our APIs into the Azure cloud and using that API manager at this time.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a year.

We haven't had any issues with stability. Those things are pretty solid.

I haven't dug too deeply into how to scale it yet. My current customer doesn't have a high volume of stuff yet.

In terms of users, there are only two or three of us engineers that deal with it directly. We're running several dozen APIs that are production APIs.

I give technical support a solid B rating. They're not bad on doing support at all. They're not necessarily fast, but they're not bad.

It's very straightforward to set it up. It really is. That's one of its strengths, that it's very easy to get started.

The versioning makes deployments more complicated than you would like, so you have to build some of your own toolings.

Licensing is the tricky part. For Azure, if you have your Azure subscription, the API Management is a free tool. There's no extra cost for that.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to choose wisely. Look around. That's the free entry stuff, so that's why I'm kind of looking around for another tooling solution, to see if I can get more full-featured support.

In the next release, I would love to see them actually support out of the box, like a canary deployment pattern, or out of the box just a blue-green rolling deployment pattern. Right now, how you want to do your deployments, you've got to tool it yourself.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. They're not bad.

John Liu - PeerSpot reviewer
Integration Architect at a wellness & fitness company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use compared to other products and enables us to manage the API
  • "It's easy to use compared to other products. It's easy to set up."
  • "Other products have more customization options."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage the API. We have a backend API with service in the backend. We use API Management in the front to manage the vendors. They can do their own testing. It's quicker for us to put in the specifications so we can knock off the responses. We build the specs and then get an external developer to start the development without the web service being ready.

We also use it for the security and for the clock in features.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use compared to other products. It's easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

Other products offer more customization options.

I have been using this solution for six months.

We haven't had any issues with it since we set it up. It's quite stable.

We don't need to worry about scalability. We just use it. It works on demand because it's on the cloud.

We are not a Microsoft shop, we just started using it. We haven't contacted technical support yet.

I also used Tibco Mashery. There aren't so many differences. The biggest difference is that you can run it on-prem while you can't do that with Microsoft Azure API Management.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It took less than one day, around a couple of hours total. It's pretty quick. I deployed it myself with some product documentation.

What other advice do I have?

You can't use this on-premise. If you want to run on-premise you would have to get a different product. Other than that, it's easy to use and start up. There is a lot of support available from the community online. You can do a domain name yourself with Microsoft, as opposed to other products where you need to contact support in order to set up a domain.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

I can't give a ten out of ten because I'm not experienced enough with it. So far so good, though.

System Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Simple to use and well integrated; an on-premise option would be helpful

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to provide API mapping for our clients. We're a customer of Azure and I'm a system analyst.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is it's simplicity. It's easy to set up and is very well integrated with the Azure environment.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, it would be helpful if they could develop an on-premises option.

I've been using this solution for one year.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

Private Cloud

ShoaibAlam - PeerSpot reviewer
Integration Architect at The Star Entertainment Group
Has multifactor authentication and good integration with Active Directory for better security features
  • "The integration with Azure Active Directory is a good security feature for authentication and authorization. There is multifactor authentication. You can also use all of the Azure AD features integrated with API Management."
  • "There is always room for improvement. There should be more analytics abilities so you can know how much traffic there is. Log Analyzer isn't well integrated with this solution."

What is most valuable?

The integration with Azure Active Directory is a good security feature for authentication and authorization. There is multifactor authentication. You can also use all of the Azure AD features integrated with API Management.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. There should be more analytics abilities so you can know how much traffic there is. Log Analyzer isn't well integrated with this solution.

I have been using this solution for two to three years.

It's on the cloud, we don't have any hiccups or problems with the stability.

The technical support is pretty good. Sometimes it's slow. It depends on each case. Sometimes they need to engage with the US and there's a big time difference between there and Australia so it takes longer.

Our public APIs are mostly in Axway. B2C APIs are a combination of Azure and AWS. Cost is a big difference. Axway offers two solutions. One on-prem and the other option is cloud. It's not a SAS solution, they host us in AWS but we can push the costs for version upgrades. It's much more expensive than Azure or AWS.

You have to read about how to do it four or five times and then you can implement it. It's a publicly accessible API so it needs a security layer and then you can secure it. Otherwise, anybody can access it. You need proper controls, authentication, and authorization. You need to sort this out first.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend doing a combination of AWS API Gateway and Azure API Management. You can authenticate APIs in Azure Active Directory and from there you expose all of your serverless components and use them as a backend with Azure. But it depends on what your use case is. It can be used as a combination or as a standalone.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

To make it a ten, there should be better analytics features so we can know how our product is performing.

Srinivas Kode - PeerSpot reviewer
Vice President - Competency and Channels at Techwave.
Easy to use API management with a platform that allows customers to register themselves
  • "The most valuable features are the ease of use and it is a platform that has self-enablement for the customers to be able to register themselves."
  • "The user interface needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

It's more of a subscription driven consumption based model, where the APIs are developed to connect backend ERP systems such as SAP and deployed into a library for consumption by both internal and external consumers. The APIs are exposed to the consumers that get onto the API gateway and identify the needed API from the library, use the instructions to subscribe, quickly test and connect to the backend SAP to get the expected information/transaction processed.  Prior to this solution there was an age old EDI interface solution.  This is enabling the customers to be more flexible with their integration architecture and be more agile as it reduces the IT integration dependency and provides a better user experience.

This is part of Techwave application modernization strategy to bring solutions that can bring agility and flexibility to customers and be able to decouple business with huge IT dependent solutions.  This is helping us to help our customers migrate away from the age old EDI technology to the latest API and microservices based architectures.

How has it helped my organization?

It is enabling two things. First it is helping our customers get on the path of application modernization and be on the digital journey.  Secondly, it is enabling them to provide a better customer experience and adoption with their end consumers.

The consumers have easy access to information than before (when it was EDI based processing).  Consumers had to reach to their IT for any new changes and integrate and/or had to download/email/phone to access/process the transaction with their customers.  Now it can be well integrated into their portal applications and/or integrated directly into their applications through API management, which makes them more digitally connected and better user experience.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of use and the self-enablement through subscriptions for our consumers. Consumers can get into the API gateway library and register to an API from the catalog directly.

Once the API is developed and added to the library with the registration documentation, it becomes pretty easy for consumers to access and understand the benefits and use of the API.

The library acts as the central repository of all our APIs and use and access is pretty intuitive.

It's very easy to learn for a person not familiar with API.

What needs improvement?

Nothing in specific but there is always some improvements that can be made to user interface to enhance and improve the UX experience.

As Microsoft adds more an more services to the stack will help and enable to ease the API platform integration with other ERPs and various platforms for us. There are more APIs coming out with lot more enhanced services that include IOT connected device integrations. Any help in understanding available API protocols and edge protocols easier will help us building our solutions faster.  We do see different services are being added day by day.

We are not using all of services at this point, but we are leveraging few at a time and building our solutions.  This is part of the evolutionary and exploratory based journey to transform the ecosystem of the customer to a digitally connected growth organization.

I have been using this solution on a particular engagement for close to a year now.  However, we at Techwave have been using API manager in other areas as well for some time.

As it is a SaaS model, we always end up having the latest version in use.

The stability is great, as mentioned earlier it is backed by Microsoft Azure platform and that brings good stability as it is and being the cloud solution we do not have to worry about scaling either.

Monitoring of the usage and understanding the throughput is much easier with these API platforms than with the older EDI transaction based backend operational monitoring. The visualization reports on consumption is very easy and the analytics driven from these visualization can be used in your ROI discussions and management decision process, if needed.

This is a scalable solution and my impression is positive. Consumption is increasing. The scalability doesn't seem to be a challenge because it's a cloud-based solution. Scaling the bandwidth or the capacity is not going to be a challenge.

Our customers are using this solution and I can't disclose the number of users, but we have good usage.

We provide technical support and haven't gotten to a point where we couldn't solve an issue.

We have not contacted the Microsoft technical support yet. I am sure that they would be good but we can't comment in that area as we have not been in that situation.

In this particular customer, they were using EDI-based transaction processing. We have been able to transform them into the API journey.

EDI technology is of the past and API is the modern technology that has been leading in the digital transformation, enabling them to have consumption across various platforms. Whether it's a cloud, on-premises, or an applied solution.

Because we are trying to move away from the EDI, the initial setup wasn't that complex. The interfaces were already there in the EDI. This engagement is more to transform existing EDI-based approach to an API-based one. The business logic, more or less, is there. This initiative is more to help us decouple technical stack from the business process.

The API manager is managing the business interactions, whether it is the consumer onboarding or the customer decoupling them from the IT based EDI processing.

The EDI would require that the customer technology team and the company technology team communicate and work together to integrate the interface. Whereas here you don't need to worry about it. It's simple as a business consumer signing up for an API, and all they need is a link to click and get the URL into their space and then they are done.

It's an easier way to integrate their API. If you want to make it into a more robust application, that's a different process, but consumption-wise it's easier.

For those who do not want to integrate it into their applications, we have been giving them an application that they could just install from an App Store on their portal. This application will then expose the APIs available for use.  All they need to do is subscribe and get going.

Implementation was pretty simple in this particular engagement. We had a vision of how the API is going to be consumed and how many were needed. We paced ourselves in an agile model with a simplified storyboard and a proper velocity mapping of the activity.

It took anywhere from three to four weeks for each API to get them ready and we took it at our pace. We had released approximately ten API's in less than six months.

We had a six-member team for deployment, including the BA and project management. In the post-deployment, we only need three people to maintain.

We implemented this solution for our customer as an implementation partner.

We have not yet measured the ROI on this engagement yet.

It's being paid monthly.  It is comparable and falls in the mid range in the competitive landscape.

We have evaluated WSO2, APIGEE, MuleSoft with API Manager

What other advice do I have?

API and microservices based architectures is the modern architecture to enable organizations for digital growth.  With that said Microsoft Azure is definitely is in the top quadrant in this space and are investing to grow this service portfolio by leaps and bounds every day.

Based on our customer ecosystem and the predominant technology stack in use, the decision with Microsoft platform aligns well with their transformation roadmap. There is going to be some level of Microsoft cloud solutions in play.

Each customer has to conduct an assessment on the need for a platform based on the technical debt they are carrying along with people and process.  They need to take a look at the existing ecosystem, software technology stack, current ERP, and the applications that need to be integrated into API based platforms.

I would suggest Azure API Manager should be in your selection process.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Enterprise Infrastructure Architecture at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows use of VPN technology but could do with clearer configuration
  • "Allows the possibility of VPN technology to connect your gateway directly with on-prem services"
  • "Could use clearer configuration when it comes to API policies."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for managing internal APIs, for ordering process APIs and in general process APIs, and resource manipulation APIs. We need an API management to get a better overview, and this is one use case with analytics parts. Another use case is security, being able to rotate API keys and to manage access at a signature point. Finally, we also have the developer portals with the self-service capabilities so that developers can request access to APIs through a developer portal and manage their own keys.

We are still in the ramp-up phase, so currently we have actively two or three guys using it. We're planning to increase usage. We're in partnership with Microsoft and I'm an enterprise architect.

What is most valuable?

It's not the best product on the market which makes it difficult to pick a particular point that we like the best. It could be the integration in the Azure portal. In the Azure cloud it's directly connected with Azure ID, so if you stay in the Azure ecosystem, this user concept is an advantage. The solution also allows you the possibility to use VPN technology and things like that to connect your gateway directly with on-prem services and that's a valuable feature. And compared to other solutions the price is outstanding.

What needs improvement?

R&P, the publishing process could be improved. They are currently restructuring it, I believe.
I'm not technical but we noticed that the old developer portal got deprecated and they're introducing a new one. It's not polished and still requires some development. It's the same with the publisher portal which I believe they've now integrated into the Azure portal. They're just starting to work with hybrids so it still requires input.

It would be helpful if they were to include additional features and clearer configuration when it comes to API policies.

I've been using this solution for seven months.

The SaaS offering is stable but the hybrid isn't stable yet. It's under development.

By definition it's scalable, but I know there's a hard limit in requests per second. But this is officially documented in the price of the product so it is scalable but with limits. I believe for a scalable solution, probably KANN Enterprise would be best.

For beta, customer service was kind of difficult. But I think that we haven't gone further than the first level. It's a process, they first have to narrow down your requirements, it's not direct access to support with direct feedback. It will take time.

This is the first solution we evaluated and we chose it mainly in order to gain experience which is why we called it an experience project rather than a proof of concept project. We figured out that for our productive usage, we will select a different vendor.

I believe the initial set up is straightforward via the Azure portal. But setting up the policies for the APIs and all of that, I can't say. I've had feedback from a colleague working with it that at some point he wished things would be easier but I don't have first hand experience.

As mentioned, this is the only option we looked at. We chose Azure because it's easy to deploy and it's cheap. It's a good starting point and if they develop it further, it might be good for productive usage, especially if you are planning to use it as an API management platform for the services that are running in Azure. I think then there's no question.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a six out of 10.

Paul-Emmanuel BREC - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Enterprise Architect - Middleware & Integration at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Stable, good pricing, and integrates well with other Azure services
  • "The solution is quite stable. We have no issues with it. there have been no crashes and we haven't experienced bugs or glitches. It's been quite reliable."
  • "The portal where we publish the APIs could be improved. Maybe this is because we didn't configure it. It is quite easy to bypass API management because we have a lot of information shared on the portal, where we publish our APIs. I worry there is potential for a security breach in the API publishing. There needs to be more security available on terms of the way we publish them."

How has it helped my organization?

Using an API management tool was new for us and it's definitely brought us a lot of value since implementation.

What is most valuable?

The way the solution integrates with other Azure services is its most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The portal where we publish the APIs could be improved. Maybe this is because we didn't configure it. It is quite easy to bypass API management because we have a lot of information shared on the portal, where we publish our APIs. I worry there is potential for a security breach in the API publishing. There needs to be more security available on terms of the way we publish them.

We've been using the solution for three years now.

The solution is totally scalable. If a company needs to build out the solution to expand it, they can do so easily.

Support is very good. We have a direct line of contact with Microsoft product management's technical support. Contacting Microsoft has been very easy. It's perfect.

I did not participate in the installation. However, from the information I have received, it was quite difficult. It wasn't difficult because of the solution itself but because, for us, it was a totally new solution. We had no experience with it. If a company has a lot of experience with Azure API Management, it would be rather straightforward.

The pricing of the product is reasonable. It was one of the selling points for us when we were looking for a solution for our company.

We did evaluate a few other solutions before ultimately going with Microsoft. We looked at MuleSoft, for example, but it was a totally new environment for us. Another solution didn't have the level of maturity we wanted in a cloud product. Microsoft was also new, however, we had a lot of contacts there and we had all of their interfaces. After looking at the pricing and features, it ended up being the best option.

What other advice do I have?

So far, we've been very happy with the solution.

I'd rate it eight out of ten overall.

Private Cloud

Anurag-Bhatnagar - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, easy to use, and the developer portal is very helpful
  • "The most valuable feature is the developer portal, which has source code examples in various programming languages to help developers learn the API."
  • "This solution is only available as a cloud-based deployment and it would be very helpful to have an on-premises version."

What is our primary use case?

We are publishing microservices using API management. We have created various packages and policies that we are applying over there. We have also created a portal for developers so that they can see what we are doing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the developer portal, which has source code examples in various programming languages to help developers learn the API.

It is possible to combine APIs and make a new product, which is a very good feature.

It is very user-friendly and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

This solution is only available as a cloud-based deployment and it would be very helpful to have an on-premises version. This is driven by the fact that some of our clients have specific requirements and they do not want to be on the cloud.

I would like to have an administrator's option that shows me API usage and can generate bills that I can send to my customers. Currently, our customers can see the usage but not how much it is going to cost. For example, assume that you get 100 calls for free and then 100 more free each month, but after than, each call costs twenty cents or one cent, whatever the price is. The administrator can generate reports when the bills are available and can charge them to the customer. This could be done with a monetization module, which would be better than the manual calculations that we have to do now.

I have been using Azure API Management for almost one year.

I think that this is a stable solution.

Microsoft handles the scalability so you don't need to worry about it.

Microsoft's technical support is okay. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate them an eight.

Your first response will be fast but after that, it will be slow. Then, the technician might just say that they are not the right contact. From opening the ticket until final closure will take time. Generally, it takes the experts some time to comment. Unfortunately, everywhere is like that.

We did not use another API management solution prior to this one. We were developing applications and then moved into APIs.

The initial setup is very simple. Within a few days, one can understand completely how to use it. It does not require deployment because it is available on the cloud and everything is ready. In fact, there is no installation at all.

It will take some time to onboard your API and define your policies, such as those for security. It should take about ten minutes to get up and running.

We considered other options; however, our client is mainly a Microsoft shop and they were already using Azure for various things. As such, we did not fully evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

This is absolutely a solution that I would recommend for others.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

it_user1221840 - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at Ebiz consulting gmbh
Excellent for easy integration with the entire Microsoft system
  • "Ease of integration into the entire Microsoft environment."
  • "Multi-tenant functionalities is missing from the system, especially when it comes to the developer code of features."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for managing APIs - for internal as well as for external communication.

Furthermore we enable transparency, governance and re-use.

How has it helped my organization?

- Being a PaaS component it helped reducing maintance efforts
- Homogenous solution for information exchange between internal and external stakeholders

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be the easy integration into the entire Microsoft environment, like Access Directory, the collaboration tooling, the development tooling, basically the integration into the Microsoft universe.

What needs improvement?

Multi-tenant functionalities is missing from the system, especially when it comes to purpose specific requirements such as CI, branding, language, content structure. If you're aware of the details of API Management provided by Azure, there are two areas. One is for developers, and the other is for consumers. In order to support the best, or all the different use cases we have, the multi-tenant support would be appreciated.

I've been using the product for about three years.

The product is stable, it's good. It depends a little bit on the tier, on the different settings, and different customizations that are possible. But in general, it's a stable solution.

Technical support to a certain extent is good, it's available in the internet, if you wish. The moment you need to reach out for serious technical support in terms of incidents, or on-site support, or whatever, it becomes a little more challenging.

The initial setup for us was easy. It helps that we have Azure knowledge within the company.

Understand the different Tiers (from small to large including VNet-integrated express route)

Start small and be aware that the developer version has all features enabled which also requires the highest possible Tier.

What other advice do I have?

Approach API Management in the two areas "tooling" and "governance".

Tooling required end-to-end thinking from a developer, consumer and infrastructure perspective. For each multiple examples can be shared.

For governance start with the obvious fitting to your organization. Do not follow all recommendations from the start, hence expect an iterative approach.

I would recommend this product and would rate it an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Nagesh Paramesh - PeerSpot reviewer
Head - Data & Digital Service line(s), BFSI Cluster at slk software
Good technical support, but the scalability and performance need to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a software firm and this is one of the solutions that we provide for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The package as a whole is useful for our customers.

What needs improvement?

The API gateway, when it is deployed, is not as robust as Apigee.

I would like to see better scalability and better performance. Performance is important for us.

I have been using Azure API Management for the past two or three years.

Stability-wise it has a ways to go, although it has also come a long way since we first started using it. The issues that we have had are related to performance. Otherwise, it should be fine.

Scalability is something that is still maturing.

I have been in contact with Microsoft technical support and I would say that it's good overall.

We have also used Apigee and Azure API Management is not as robust.

I would not say that the initial setup is easy or tough, but in the middle. It can be difficult in that you need to know the components in order to use this solution to its full extent.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the use case and what we are building. It can take a month or sometimes, three months.

What other advice do I have?

We do not use one particular feature over another. Rather, it is the whole package that is useful.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Luís Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technical Lead at Human Code
Very easy to set up a new solution and to deploy it to production
  • "The ease of setting up a new solution is the most valuable feature. It's very easy to set up a new solution and to deploy it to production."
  • "The developer console for external users could be improved, especially in the testing site."

What is our primary use case?

We use the cloud model. Our primary use case is for integration between different systems. There are many use cases for the API management tool, but the most common scenario is integration between different systems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The developer console for external users could be improved, especially in the testing site. I would like to see the security management for the APIs to be more granular.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

It is very stable.

It's quite scalable. We've tested it in different little scenarios and it's quite scalable.

For deployment, I would advise a specialist. There is no need to dedicate any staff to the maintenance of the solution.

I would rate their technical support an eight out of ten. It could use a bit of improvement.

I previously used RabbitMQ for another project. Both solutions have different approaches. One can work on-premises. On the whole, I still prefer is Azure API Management. I believe it's an easier solution set up and run.

The initial setup was very straightforward and simple. The deployment only took a few hours.

I deployed the solution myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to someone considering it. I would rate it a nine out of ten.

it_user692298 - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Integration Architect & managing partner at a tech services company
Policies allow us to control and enrich the API behavior without code changes.
  • "Monitoring: It gives us a detailed overview of how clients are using the API and it allows us to see the consumption trends in real-time."
  • "The documentation and configuration of APIs."
  • "There were no scalability issues."
  • "Security could be improved."

What is most valuable?

• Monitoring: It gives us a detailed overview of how clients are using the API and it allows us to see the consumption trends in real-time.
  • Policies: It allows us to control and enrich the API behavior without the need to make code changes
  • The documentation and configuration of APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

Internally, we use this product to give our employees a catalog of all the APIs that we implemented over the years. They get detailed documentation on how to use those APIs and can develop their own solutions on top.

What needs improvement?

Security could be improved.

I have used this solution for a year.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give the technical support team a rating of eight out of 10 .

The setup was straightforward, setting up a basic API management portal is only a few clicks in the Azure Portal. Once it is set up, the APIs can directly be added by just importing the Swagger file.

The developer and standard pricing tiers of Azure API Management are very competitive compared to other products. If a customer wants to expose their internal APIs to the Azure API Management Portal, then they would require a VPN connection which requires the Premium Pricing tier. This can be expensive and we currently recommend our customers to not use a VPN connection, i.e., if they don’t need additional Premium features; and we suggest they expose their APIs publicly through other technologies such as the relay services.

What other advice do I have?

Learn how policies work since this is where the real added value of Azure API Management is.

Sr Software Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It offers API gateway features and AD integration. An IaaS option should also be offered.

What is most valuable?

• API gateway features
  • AD integration
  • Access management capabilities
  • Usage plans
  • Quotas for APIs, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a simple and effective way to enable micro-services architecture. The Standard Tier is cost effective.

What needs improvement?

• An IaaS option is needed. The SaaS option limited our requirement, as we wanted more control on our data, and integration with our virtual LAN. Integration with our VLAN was possible only with the premium version and expensive gateway controllers.
  • PCI compliance

I evaluated it for one month.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 7/10.

I did not previously use a different solution. However, I evaluated other API gateways and shortlisted ForgeRock - OpenAM/OpenIG, because it has an IaaS option.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward; excellent documentation.

The Standard Tier is cost effective.

Before choosing this product, I evaluated NGINX, Apigee, and ForgeRock (OpenAM/OpenIG).

What other advice do I have?

Code impact: Required services to import Swagger library.

Being SaaS, if you are running services on IaaS, communication between APIM and your services will be through the public internet (if that’s a cause of concern).

APIM was available in classic mode only (as of April 2016). Our infrastructure was ARM. Connectivity was complex and expensive.

it_user208704 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior .Net Developer at a university with 51-200 employees
It's easy to setup and have something going within an hour but configuration exporting from the Admin portal needs work.

What is most valuable?

The ability to manage user access to given API operations.

• Visibility on user usage analytics
  • Set policies across API operations, which control the type of access (CORS, JSONP)
  • The ability to piece together an array of services into one proxied service. Where I can create consistency to both usage and documentation

How has it helped my organization?

We were securely able to offer services to external third parties to securely consume within a relatively short amount of time.

What needs improvement?

• Versioning of API operations (which I have heard is in the pipeline)
  • Easy exporting of configurations from the Administrator portal.

I've used it for around six months or so.

I did follow the prescribed steps to export our Test subscription setup to import into a production subscription environment, but I was unable to achieve the export within the short amount of time I had to achieve it. So to get around the issue, I just manually configured it in the production environment as part of the release.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Didn't use them.

10/10, as our Microsoft account manager arranged direct contact with members of the API Management Team.

No previous solution used.

Pretty easy. The online documentation is very thorough.

In-house implementation.

The product probably saved us at least two to four sprints worth of extra work, which would not have achieved the quality, which this PAS provides us, out of the box.

Nothing. Day to Day costs are very minimal, tens of dollars a month or so depending on peaks of usage.

No. I was evaluating Azure PAS offerings and producing proof of concept solutions just before the project kicked off.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely check it out. The documentation is plentiful and it is pretty easy to setup and have something going within an hour or so.

Download our free Microsoft Azure API Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022