IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft Azure API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure API Management is #2 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure API Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee: Microsoft Azure API Management vs Apigee. Microsoft Azure API Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Microsoft Azure API Management?
Microsoft Azure API Management ensures an organization's API program reaches its fullest potential. With API management, organizations can publish web services as APIs reliably, securely and at scale. Use API Management to drive API consumption among internal teams, partners, and developers while benefiting from business and operational insights available in the admin portal.

Microsoft Azure API Management was previously known as Azure API Management, MS Azure API Management.

Microsoft Azure API Management Customers
adnymics GmbH, LG CNS, Centrebet, netfabb GmbH, MedPlast, Accelera Solutions, Sochi Organizing Committee, realzeit GmbH, Opensistemas
Microsoft Azure API Management Video

Microsoft Azure API Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure API Management pricing:
  • "It's pay as you go. The subscription packages have room for different scales. It's calculated by the number of apps or computers you use. You do not have to use the enterprise subscription. These subscriptions have different pricing, so you can find one to meet your needs for scalability."
  • "Since this is a cloud-based solution you have to abide by those financial limits, this creates some different challenges compared to other solutions."
  • "Based on the resources that we are leveraging, the price we are paying to use this solution is slightly higher than other competitors. In a few cases, it has its own advantage in some resources."
  • Microsoft Azure API Management Reviews

Jude Ayoka - PeerSpot reviewer
    PM, Digital & Innovation at Access Bank Plc
    The sandbox feature lets us test before we go into production
    • "I like API Management's sandbox feature. It's an environment where you can test out the API before putting it into production and connecting it to a live environment."
    • "The hybrid part could be improved because API Management is entirely cloud-based, but some of our resources are on-prem, so formatting is an issue. Our goal is dual implementation."

What is our primary use case?

We're a bank, so one of our primary use cases for API Management is integrating our API with third parties that provide financial policies. Sometimes they want to use our services, like payment and customer inquiry, so we give them access to the API gateway.  Azure API Management allows you to control who has access to your API gateways and assign permission levels to third parties if you want integration with third-party solutions. That has a couple of advantages. Those third parties can directly access your API directly, and you can set limits. It can also configure authentication on other API managers. An API gateway is like a platform, and your API provides access to the resources in your environment, so this gateway is an intermediary between you and third parties. It's also the interface between your internal applications. For example, if you have a mobile app and internet banking, they can all be copied in the same API through that gateway. So, that was basically the use cases we have. So, we have almost all the API's behind the gateway.

What is most valuable?

I like API Management's sandbox feature. It's an environment where you can test out the API before putting it into production and connecting it to a live environment.

What needs improvement?

The hybrid part could be improved because API Management is entirely cloud-based, but some of our resources are on-prem, so formatting is an issue. Our goal is dual implementation.  There's always room for improvement in terms of the user interface. Generally speaking, technology evolves, so any service provider needs to make their product as user-friendly as possible. In the next couple of years, we'll see more non-tech people handling tech solutions. The solution should be more accessible, so people can use it to create things without being very tech-savvy.

We've been using Azure API Management for about three years.
    Microsoft Azure API Management
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

API Management is stable.

API Management is scalable. The licensing is structured so that you save more at a higher scale. The only limit to the scale is how much you're willing to pay.

We have an enterprise support contract for Microsoft, and we don't have problems with them.

We used IBM ESB before Azure API Management, and we're using both now. ESB isn't the same as API Management from a technology perspective. They have distinct functions, but they can do similar things. You can view an API on IBM ESB, but you can view and expose API on Azure API Management. They solve similar problems but are not exactly the same.

Deploying API Management is somewhat tricky depending on your level of technical knowledge. The first time we used it in production, we had it for a couple of months. The first month was an evaluation period, so we had it in a test environment to get a feel for how it works and possible complications. However, you could deploy it in a couple of weeks if you wanted.  You only need about two to manage it, including one admin. It's more like a platform-as-a-service, so we don't need to do the normal maintenance we do on an on-prem platform.

We deployed API Management in-house.

I can't disclose how much we pay monthly, but the pricing for Azure API Management is available online. It's pay as you go. The subscription packages have room for different scales. It's calculated by the number of apps or computers you use. You do not have to use the enterprise subscription. These subscriptions have different pricing, so you can find one to meet your needs for scalability.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure API Management nine out of 10. Your choice of technology is based on your needs, budget, and C suite. Azure API Management is a good product, but there are some other good services, like Azure Connect, Google APG, and a couple of others. It depends on your needs. Using a cloud solution has advantages because the client can immediately use the product. Another strong reason we use Azure API Management is that we heavily use Microsoft products in our organization, so Azure is a natural choice.

Oleksandr Gaysin - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager, Engineering at GlobalLogic
    Good user management with excellent configuration capabilities and decent stability
    • "The user management is pretty seamless."
    • "Technical support could be more flexible and try to meet the client's needs a bit more effectively."

What is most valuable?

The solution has pretty stable capabilities.

Their construction tool allows users to easily publish information about the API. It's basically just one click.

You can configure the subscription management onsite and link everything.

The developer portal that exposed the API documentation is great. You can just test the APIs in a very easy way.

The web portal is useful. You can build a pretty comprehensive portal where users can sign in and you can basically leave the API there.

The API management provided offers good integration with different management systems, like OpenID, for example.

The user management is pretty seamless.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is definitely an aspect that can be improved. They should offer an additional free tier. For example, if there was a tier for new accounts created, it may help their services by getting people onboarded. Once you will give access to someone and they try it they'll see, "Okay, it works and you can pretty quickly add something on top of it". After that, the client will end up staying, and probably paying.

The cost is also complex in terms of calculating how much everything will ultimately be priced at. It's not straightforward as it takes into account multiple factors.

The solution needs to provide more use cases so that we can refer them to clients. It will help answer any questions in relation to performance and load management.

I've been using the solution for about a year at this point.

There are some bugs that exist in this construction tool for the developer portal. We are submitting these bugs to Azure, so they already know about it. Overall, it's pretty stable.

In terms of Azure technical support, we've had no issues in regards to response times. They are prompt. However, in some particular cases, they unable to be flexible. For example, with MQTT blockers, while you might want another port, they might tell you to use the hosted solution in order to get them to configure it. We'd just like them to have more flexibility with requests like this.

In terms of corporate security nowadays, it's very important to be flexible. At the end of the day we get stuck in the bureaucracy. If they could practice flexibility, it would be better for their clients, who may not have the wiggle room on their end.

That said, we're mostly satisfied with their level of service.

The solution has a kind of calculator and it's not always straightforward to figure out the logic in pricing. There are lots of services that are managed in different ways. For a non-technical person, it's a nightmare to figure everything out.

At the end of the day, you have to build approximate pricing for the solution. According to my experiences in multiple projects, you do get preliminary pricing that is close to or the same as the estimate.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, for a particular client, we're using a managed version of the solution, however, in the future, I foresee us hosting it somewhere in the cloud.

We're using the most up to date version of the solution.

Overall, the solution has a lot of great features. There are a few bugs here and there, however, a the end of the day, there's lots of value provided.

I'd rate the solution at an eight, on a scale from one to ten. It's got a rather high cost and still has some areas that need some improvement. Otherwise, I'd rate it higher.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Microsoft Azure API Management
    June 2022
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Group Manager, Solution & Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to configure, simple to use, but might not be suited for all sized companies
    • "I have found this solution to be easy to configure, simple to use, and flexible."
    • "If I compare this solution to others I have used in other phases of my life, having APIM being an Azure resource, it is easy to configure and deploy. However, this conversely reduced the flexibility. The difficulty is how do we configure it in a manner that a larger enterprise would probably want it to be. This creates a bit more complexity, working around the constraints of the resource itself. If comparing it to other solutions, it is more of a legacy design with an older approach. The various level components are still around resembling an on-premise type of design similar to other solutions, such as Apigee or Mulesoft. They are still predominantly carrying some legacy design. Which might be suited for organizations where they have a more complex network layout. APIM is easy to deploy, but on the other side of that, it is constrained to how Azure has designed it to be."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution because when there is a technical requirement sometimes there are technical constraints that need to be overcome, and that is best resolved through the API component. My organization predominately uses Microsoft solutions and this is why we are using this particular solution.

What is most valuable?

I have found this solution to be easy to configure, simple to use, and flexible.

What needs improvement?

If I compare this solution to others I have used in other phases of my life, having APIM being an Azure resource, it is easy to configure and deploy. However, this conversely reduced the flexibility. The difficulty is how do we configure it in a manner that a larger enterprise would probably want it to be. This creates a bit more complexity, working around the constraints of the resource itself. If comparing it to other solutions, it is more of a legacy design with an older approach. The various level components are still around resembling an on-premise type of design similar to other solutions, such as Apigee or Mulesoft. They are still predominantly carrying some legacy design. Which might be suited for organizations where they have a more complex network layout. APIM is easy to deploy, but on the other side of that, it is constrained to how Azure has designed it to be.

In an upcoming release, if not already added through an update, I think dynamic provisioning of the resource would be useful. Many times these API platforms, including others, such as Apigee, are still predominantly revolving around developers. The onboarding and the API life cycle are still revolving around humans. In this context, I would not suggest DevOps, but at least automation of common pipelines. If the platform can better support this in the workflow to provision and commission an API that would be beneficial as we work towards a more automated deployment concept. Even though there are templates, graphics, and API management commands right now, you are still in a way programmed deeply, customizing that workflow, as opposed to it being part of the platform itself.

I have been using Azure solutions for approximately four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable because it is a cloud service offering.

I have previously used Apigee and Mulesoft.

Since this is a cloud-based solution you have to abide by those financial limits, this creates some different challenges compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is in all technology areas, each solution is use case-specific. If you are already working on the pure Azure Stack, then APIM is something that I would suggest. Unless you have a very complicated API development use case I would not try to deploy, for example, Mulesoft or Apigee on Azure. Assuming you are working on a full Azure Stack solution.

Since it is use case-specific, rather than trying to build out. I would rather use the other repertoire of Azure to do the API development, as opposed to trying to deploy other solutions under the platform and develop from there.

My philosophy is always, use what is available, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Mulesoft may be powerful, but it is putting the cart on top of the wheel and try to build something on the cart. It is not a native approach.

I rate Microsoft Azure API Management a seven out of ten.

Solution Architect at a sports company with 201-500 employees
    Good API hosting and management and very stable
    • "The API management and the hosting of the API platform are great."
    • "The documentation could be improved for the customer."

What is our primary use case?

We have company-wide APIs which are hosted in Niger, and some of the external clients access the applications via the API, and we provide the post-data information. The clients get their data from our larger API.

What is most valuable?

The way the API management handles the calls and call throttling is excellent.

The API management and the hosting of the API platform are great.

What needs improvement?

We haven't used API model that much, so I'm not in a good position to say recommendations as we are still exploring the Azure API management. We need more time to fully take in the solution before pointing our its flaws.

The documentation could be improved for the customer. The instructions on the district API and the initial stages of working with the solution need to be documented better so that users are more informed and they can have an improved experience.

I've been using the solution for three years now.

The stability of the solution is good. We haven't had any issues. I can't recall bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so quite easily.

Currently, we have between 500-600 users in our organization on the solution.

We haven't really used technical support too often. Therefore, I can't really speak to their level of knowledge or responsiveness to issues.

We previously used IBM Open Shift. We switched due to the fact that the company was going to Azure and we didn't want multiple clients.

The initial setup isn't too difficult and doesn't take too long. You need to handle it to have the management gateway. Of course, every time it is deployed, then it needs to be configured to work with API. That could take some time.

For the deployment and maintenance, the size of the team you need depends on the project. We had a couple of developers on ours, for example.

I assisted with the implementation. I tend to handle it myself.

It's my understanding that the licensing is very clear. However, I'm not involved in it in any way, and therefore, I'm not sure what the cost structure is.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

We do plan to continue to use the product going forward.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution. It depends on how their organization and architecture is, and if they're doing on-prem or cloud, depending on the requirement. It's very hard to say.

That said, I would rate it overall at eight out of ten.

RandallMcClure - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Architect at Pink Brain Technologies
    It's very easy to get started but I would like to see them actually support out of the box
    • "We're pretty much using all of the monetizations features out of the API manager so we can put up a portal and have a dev portal and then a prod portal and do rate limiting."
    • "They're trying to implement versioning and trying to be able to manage different versions of your API all at the same time, but they're not doing that just quite right yet."

What is our primary use case?

They're doing integration work between a lot of different on-premises business platforms, like Salesforce and NetSuite. We're doing integration work, but we're putting all of our APIs into the Azure cloud and using that API manager at this time.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a year.

We haven't had any issues with stability. Those things are pretty solid.

I haven't dug too deeply into how to scale it yet. My current customer doesn't have a high volume of stuff yet.

In terms of users, there are only two or three of us engineers that deal with it directly. We're running several dozen APIs that are production APIs.

I give technical support a solid B rating. They're not bad on doing support at all. They're not necessarily fast, but they're not bad.

It's very straightforward to set it up. It really is. That's one of its strengths, that it's very easy to get started.

The versioning makes deployments more complicated than you would like, so you have to build some of your own toolings.

Licensing is the tricky part. For Azure, if you have your Azure subscription, the API Management is a free tool. There's no extra cost for that.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to choose wisely. Look around. That's the free entry stuff, so that's why I'm kind of looking around for another tooling solution, to see if I can get more full-featured support.

In the next release, I would love to see them actually support out of the box, like a canary deployment pattern, or out of the box just a blue-green rolling deployment pattern. Right now, how you want to do your deployments, you've got to tool it yourself.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. They're not bad.

MADHAV CHABLANI - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Information Officer at Tippingedge
    API management platform which offers scalability, stability, and easy integration
    • "Easy to integrate API management platform. It is a stable and scalable solution."
    • "Performance issues from this platform need to be sorted out."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the healthcare industry, so all the applications which are related to one hospital, it binds to Microsoft Azure API Management, and this is our use case for it.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration function of Microsoft Azure API Management. Integration of this solution is easy.

What needs improvement?

There's some area for improvement for this solution's performance. Sometimes it can be challenging. We're working with design patents and we're hoping to see the performance issues sorted out.

We've been working with Microsoft Azure API Management for a year now.

Microsoft Azure API Management is a stable product, but we have not been able to test it yet on a multi-cloud environment.

Microsoft Azure API Management is scalable. There are no issues with its scalability.

Microsoft has a good technical support team. They are very helpful.

Integration of this solution is easy. I won't call it an initial setup. It's an integration.

I was able to work with Apigee.

What other advice do I have?

We used Microsoft Azure API Management only in the Microsoft environment, but not in a multi-cloud environment.

Microsoft Azure API Management is cloud-based, in particular, it is a single cloud centered around Microsoft components and not on the Cross components.

I have no idea on how long it took to implement Microsoft Azure API Management. The testing and development team is the best resource on how long it took.

The number of users of this solution in the group I'm associated with is 300,000. Increasing the number of users will depend on the mergers and acquisitions, and how the group is doing.

For maintenance, we have a backend support team that handles application support. The major point is that if the API has a lot of issues, particularly in data silos, Microsoft Azure API Management has made it more convenient to manage those.

We're still trying and testing the integration function of this solution, and we're also trying to go deeper into its performance.

My rating for Microsoft Azure API Management is a nine out of ten.

I don't have any variance data with Apigee. Apigee is better than Microsoft. I have more numbers for Apigee compared to Microsoft.

Microsoft Azure
    Lead Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Integrates well with Microsoft environments, uncomplicated install, but better options available
    • "The initial setup is not that complex, but there are certain challenges."
    • "From my understanding, there are some constraints around governance and service-to-service intercommunication managing priorities and our own governance."

What is our primary use case?

We have two approaches to how we use the solution. We own the managed services and the other we have customers take the subscription and we manage it.

What needs improvement?

From my understanding, there are some constraints around governance and service-to-service intercommunication managing priorities and our own governance. Examples include, how you manage all your clusters, the entire service communication, and having more tolerant experts.

I have been using the solution for approximately one year.

The technical support has not been the greatest. Microsoft has been outsourcing its support services and we have quite a few challenges in terms of technical support. We rarely asked them for anything and try to find the solution ourselves. This has been our most recent experience. However, there are certain advantages as well. Now you have a large internet resource pool to support Azure. This balances the support out, but otherwise, if you are looking for very specific support, there will be some challenges for your teams.

The initial setup is not that complex, but there are certain challenges.

We are limited to what choice of solution we can purchase. There are multiple aspects here. If it is a choice that we have to make, then we do it based on the requirement or recommendations, such as GCP, AWS, or Azure platform. However, given the present circumstances, the customer base that I am supporting at the moment is all Microsoft shop customers. Their inclination is always towards Microsoft-based solutions. That is where it has left us with no choice, but to go with Azure. While we still recommend this solution in some cases, for instance, analytics and where we need the big data solutions. We have been pushing for a GCP and in some cases to have AWS as well. For now Azure is the platform and this has been the journey that has left us with no choice but to go with it. Based on the resources that we are leveraging, the price we are paying to use this solution is slightly higher than other competitors. In a few cases, it has its own advantage in some resources.

I have evaluated GCP and AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement this solution that they can use this solution if it fits their deployment criteria. However, there are better options available.

I rate Microsoft Azure API Management a seven out of ten.

Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable with good policies but lacks in-depth documentation
    • "The solution is reliable and very stable."
    • "Technical support could be more helpful and responsive."

What is our primary use case?

I work with an enterprise and they needed to manage lots of APIs. They needed to manage information and they use this product to meet their needs.

What is most valuable?

The policies on offer are the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The solution is reliable and very stable.

What needs improvement?

I don't really have anything in mind at the moment in terms of areas of improvement. It does what we need it to do for the most part.

Technical support could be more helpful and responsive. They are quite slow.

The documentation around the solution is lacking. Users will need to do a lot of digging and googling in order to get the answers they need.

The premium version is very expensive.

I've been using the solution for about two years now. It hasn't been too long at this point.

The solution was stable. We didn't have issues with bugs or glitches. It didn't crash or freeze. it was pretty reliable and the performance was pretty good.

Technical support was a bit slow, actually. We did engage technical support once or twice and it took quite a bit of time for them to come back to us. By the time they'd come back, we'd kind of solved the problem ourselves. They weren't overly helpful.

I'm just a developer, so I didn't really get involved in the pricing. Therefore, I can't speak to the exact costs of the agreements involved in terms of licensing. That said, I do know that we used the developer license just to try things out. My understanding is that the premium version is quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user. My company does not have a special business relationship with Microsoft.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

While technical support and documentation are lacking, I would still recommend the product to others.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: customer
    Download our free Microsoft Azure API Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022